Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Yeah, i know, post marathon blue who knew :eek:

I think i probably would enjoy the bike if i could outdoors but by the time i'm home from work it's too dark so it's the turbo :(

Swimming is good idea and i must get back to my yoga class also. Oh yeah, it'll pass, i just miss running, nothing compares for head space for me :cool:

I know what you mean, I went to spin class last night and really I would have prefered to run I think I needed the fresh air to clear the mind :D The bike can do that as well when you can get out and enjoy the countryside! I went swimming the day after the marathon and really enjoyed it.
    I am currently looking up running drills to practice before my run later on LOL I wish I had a nice park to practice in though LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭positron

DCM is def worth all the pain! I think I will sign up for 2018, and no point waiting for race series as they have already confirmed that DCM won't be part of race series next year, that there won't be a race series + DCM bundle, and that you buy both separately. I think that will bring down the popularity of the race series a tiny bit... but perhaps thats ideal considering how hosting the half went this year. (possibly incorrect info there)

My recovery has been okay so far. I think doing gentle 30 mins on the turbo trainer two days after the marathon really helped my legs. It was sore but I got off the turbo feeling better, and I was still in work on Tuesday, I have been completely fine since Wednesday. Of course, it looks like I didn't put as much of an effort as other DCM graduates this year, so perhaps that explains it. I have travelled to the warm tropics over the weekend and have already done two gentle jogs (5k and 8k). Apart from the feeling of drowning in my on sweat (almost no evaporation here due to 91-95% humidity and 25 degree C temperature), it's been generally okay overall. I am even considering doing something really crazy this Sunday to mark the two weeks from DCM - to jog a half marathon!! :o Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

positron wrote: »
    DCM is def worth all the pain! I think I will sign up for 2018, and no point waiting for race series as they have already confirmed that DCM won't be part of race series next year, that there won't be a race series + DCM bundle, and that you buy both separately. I think that will bring down the popularity of the race series a tiny bit... but perhaps thats ideal considering how hosting the half went this year.

hadn't heard that before

Thanks for bringing that up - I thought I saw a comment & response on the SSE facebook page about this a week or so ago. But I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps I read it wrong, or perhaps they changed their position. I will keep looking, but would much prefer to do the entire series myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    hadn't heard that before

Me neither that's a pity.

Don't think we are supposed to run at all for a month after the marathon according to google . 1 day rest for every hard mile you race. I'm back commuting by bike and done a couple of easy runs. Only starting to feel a bit better now after heavy doses of man flu, raring to go but will tip away at 1-2 runs a week for the next couple of weeks then re-introduce speed work and gradually up the mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Me neither that's a pity.

Don't think we are supposed to run at all for a month after the marathon according to google . 1 day rest for every hard mile you race. I'm back commuting by bike and done a couple of easy runs. Only starting to feel a bit better now after heavy doses of man flu, raring to go but will tip away at 1-2 runs a week for the next couple of weeks then re-introduce speed work and gradually up the mileage.

Have heard that mentioned. Seems overly cautious and probably depends on your base fitness.

Some good runners I follow on Strava are banging out the miles pretty much every day since the marathon. I've mainly been cycling and have done a couple of short runs, wouldn't be taking 3 weeks off from running completely unless you felt pain. Just listen to your body before, during and after runs.

Thanks for bringing that up - I thought I saw a comment & response on the SSE facebook page about this a week or so ago. But I can't seem to find it now. Perhaps I read it wrong, or perhaps they changed their position. I will keep looking, but would much prefer to do the entire series myself.

I also would prefer to do the whole series it was great value for money last year

Good luck at the half is it a race or your just heading out :D I thought I was crazy running one next weekend LOL but like you I plan on jogging it I also had an easy run at DCM more LSR pace than race pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I read it today - it’s in the post where they advertise the pricing structure for DCM on the SSE fb page. Somebody asks I’d there will be a race series bundle and they said there would be in January but it wouldn’t include the marathon itself.

I ran 10 miles yesterday. Possibly a bit much but felt I needed to do it. I could feel a tiredness in my legs at times though. The weather was just lovely and my only chance to get out until Saturday so I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I ran a hard parkrun last Sat but got a weird groin strain on the warm up.

Have been having lots of charley horses in my left hamstring since, the one that seized on Nutley lane.

Haven't been out since but am going to run Corcagh tomorrow but taking it easy.

I think for me anyway, easy running until December.

Kinda regret going hard last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yesterday was my first day pain free in weeks. The deep tissue sports massage on Wednesday was a miracle. I'll wait another few days but if i'm pain free over the weekend i'll start easy running next Monday. In the meantime I'm going back to yoga tonight and i can't wait, i haven't been in weeks :rolleyes: Just having had yesterday and today (so far) pain free feels like major progress, i feel much more optimistic than i did earlier in the week. Slowly does it now :)

Lazare wrote: »

Have been having lots of charley horses in my left hamstring since, the one that seized on Nutley lane.

Funny you mention that my hamstring did the same midrun last night I stopped stretched and took it easy and it went but when I finished it was sore I think everything is tight in my legs. My right foot is hurting as well so I'm going to go to physio tomorrow knock it on the head before it's something I need to worry about.
    Good luck on the easy run tomorrow

Ariana that is great new delighted for you

Lazare wrote: »

I think easy is the way to go for all of us. 26 days of rest or easy/recovery, a day for every mile. The sports massage i went for she reminded me that my body has been through a trauma :eek: It's sounds rather dramatic but i think it's better to err on the side of caution before going back out tearing around at crazy paces. Plus we've mostly been doing easy/lsr pace for the past 4 months, it's going to take a bit of patience to get back up to hard effort again.

Baby75 wrote: »
    Funny you mention that my hamstring did the same midrun last night I stopped stretched and took it easy and it went but when I finished it was sore I think everything is tight in my legs. My right foot is hurting as well so I'm going to go to physio tomorrow knock it on the head before it's something I need to worry about.
    Good luck on the easy run tomorrow

Ariana that is great new delighted for you

Hope it's nothing serious baby, you're right to nip it in the bud. and maybe get a bit of a rub on the hamstring as well while you're there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Don't think we are supposed to run at all for a month after the marathon according to google . 1 day rest for every hard mile you race.

No, that's not correct.

What that rule should say is no hard running for 1 day per mile raced. A few miles of easy running is allowed - in fact, it actually speeds up recovery and should be recommended.

ariana` wrote: »
    Hope it's nothing serious baby, you're right to nip it in the bud. and maybe get a bit of a rub on the hamstring as well while you're there ;)

I am not so worried about my hamstring, I think I may have been running a little quicker than my body is able for, I did not even mean to! I ran last night covered my watch planned easy and it felt easy pace I was using an app on my phone to let me know time as I planned on 35 minutes easy, so 5km. my app had pace and distance wrong so checked the watch and it was telling me 5.59 I will have to make a more conscious effort to slow down and keep to pre-marathon paces building slowly I think!
    my foot would worry me more, I say it could be tight muscles in my leg pulling tendons in my foot, or else it after effects from stepping on a bottle during the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Doing a Parkrun tomorrow but after all these posts I have no clue about how fast or slow to do it....:confused:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Doing a Parkrun tomorrow but after all these posts I have no clue about how fast or slow to do it....:confused:

I think i’ll go faster than last week but not all guns blazing. Not sure i’m ready yet though i’m going to do maybe 2kms to warm up and i’ll see how I feel then. I’m nervous I’ll injure myself.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I think i’ll go faster than last week but not all guns blazing. Not sure i’m ready yet though i’m going to do maybe 2kms to warm up and i’ll see how I feel then. I’m nervous I’ll injure myself.

God help your Parkrun when you do blaze your guns! Well done on the PB. There's no stopping you now. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Kellygirl!!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    God help your Parkrun when you do blaze your guns! Well done on the PB. There's no stopping you now. :)

Lol! Totally forgot I posted that last night :rolleyes:

I did my warm up which had to be 3.2kms so my 5km in parkrun would take me down to 200kms left to do this year. Did a few stretches and just decided i’d go for it and see how I got on. I followed behind somebody I know does about 26 mins and decided to tell her at 3.5kms and she sent me on ahead of her as she had slowed down apparently. I definitely find speeding up harder than endurance though. Can’t imagine getting much faster though hopefully will.

Lol! Totally forgot I posted that last night :rolleyes:

I did my warm up which had to be 3.2kms so my 5km in parkrun would take me down to 200kms left to do this year. Did a few stretches and just decided i’d go for it and see how I got on. I followed behind somebody I know does about 26 mins and decided to tell her at 3.5kms and she sent me on ahead of her as she had slowed down apparently. I definitely find speeding up harder than endurance though. Can’t imagine getting much faster though hopefully will.

Well done :D you did the smart thing doing a warm-up beforehand :D

skyblue46 how did t go :) before I go on to strava to check :)

I'm just home from physio all is good, I have some tight tendons in my foot but they will be grand :D

I'm just home from physio all is good, I have some tight tendons in my foot but they will be grand :D

:pac: I compromised...1k very easy, 1k easy, 2k cruising and then a proper hurry up for the last km.

Good news on the foot. My right hamstring is a bit tight so I should prob do some foam rolling or stretching!

Good news on the foot. My right hamstring is a bit tight so I should prob do some foam rolling or stretching!

I am relieved, it was starting to worry me:)

Mine was a little tight but feeling much better now, physio stretched it for me and I have loads of foam rolling to do as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done Sheep, on your run today - great time, and placing! Nice meeting you again, and sorry if I was a bit distracted. First time on that job today! Nice photo of you up on FB too. You make it look easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well done Sheep, on your run today - great time, and placing! Nice meeting you again, and sorry if I was a bit distracted. First time on that job today! Nice photo of you up on FB too. You make it look easy!
    Not at all, fair play to you for volunteering. Gearing up towards jingle bells!! Might see you there next sat for the surprise guest!!!!

Baby75 wrote:
    Good luck at the half is it a race or your just heading out I thought I was crazy running one next weekend LOL but like you I plan on jogging it I also had an easy run at DCM more LSR pace than race pace

Best of luck with your half next weekend Baby75. Mine was race alright, called IDBI Spice Coast Marathon here in Kochi, in Kerala-India.

It was such a different experience, in a good way. Full starts at 4 am, and half at 5 am. When I got to the ground, a warm up session was on - it was frigging Bollywood dance party :) At the start line Sachin Tendular (practically God around here) flagged us off, and it was so funny that barely anyone left the start area, everyone was too busy taking selfies with Sachin in the background. :D Slowest start ever. When it got going, there wasn't much in the way of public support but there were plenty od navy guys in uniforms, school kids etc cheering us on. Loads of water stations, energy drinks, quartered oranges, guy with pain relief sprays, sponges to keep you cool etc - very well organised event in general. But jesus the humidity was crazy. 26 degree C with 90+% humidity, I was burning up from inside. Plenty of support near and media presense at the finish line, and there was a full breakfast spread for runners. And of course more loud music, flash mobs and a rock band.. 7 am in the morning, dude screamin rockkkkk onnnn... Mental mental race.

As for the slight misadventure of running a half just 14 days after my first ever marathon - glad ro report I survived uninjured. It wasn't easy, but I felt it was more about humidity and heat than anything else. I did something around 2h 20m which is slooow by any standards but only 15 mins offy pb, and 10 mins off my DCM first half. My hamstring is now sore, but that was the case after DCM as well. I will consider running/jogging again after a weeks rest....

So who is doing Jingle Bells? I feel I did a bit much too fast over the last couple of weeks so I'll be throttling back for the next 2 weeks. Not sure it's ideal prep and might only do it if it's a chance to meet a few of the crew.

• Advertisement

positron That sounds like so much fun, well besides the humidity but great they were prepared for it :) Thanks, I am looking forward to it, I will be taking it easy no chasing PB and will probably run it in 2hrs 30 minutes :)

Advertisement