Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I’m in also, started back running 3 years ago, 10k time in May 2014 was 50+ mins, 10k PB this year is down to 43m 30secs
    Mostly being doing shorter runs/races, park runs etc.. Furthest I’ve ran is 10miles (2 races and 3 training runs)
    Planned on doing it last year but due to night feeds commencing at the start of the training plan �� I was never going to get a good base to start from

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k – Steets of KK April-17– 20:42
    10k – Clonmel 10k May-17 – 43:33
    10m – Ballycotton Mar-17 – 1:17:20

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

3-4 days a week combination of running/cycling/gym. Gradually increasing weekly mileage , currently on 15m pw hoping to by up to high 20’s/30m per week by end of June to start training plan from there.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream – 3.45
    Realistic – 3.59

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Plan to train 4 days a week. Use a combination of boards/HH

Why are you running this marathon?
    Got back into running 3 years ago and said would do it when I hit 40 , but wasn’t ready last year

Hi John McClane,

Welcome to the thread! This is one I'll be watching closely, as your PBs are very similar to mine. With the night feeds behind you, there's more improvement to come I'm sure. Having enough space to cover all the elements of your training plan is a big advantage.

The distances won't be a bother to you either. Once you're following the plan, you should have enough mileage built up that you can comfortably race the half, and later the full. It's nice and easy at the moment, and you'll have no problem getting well into the 20s by late June. Thanks again for joining up, and best of luck!

choons wrote: »
    Hi guys, glad I stumbled across this as I signed up yesterday. This will be my first marathon at 27.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    Not raced but current run times:
    5km Parkrun - 21mins
    10km - 50mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No / NA

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    One weekly 5km Parkrun at the moment.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    4 hours is my aim, let me hang on to this as long as I can!

Was planning on doing a Parkrun and 1 long run per week ramping up to October. After reading the thread, I will re-evaluate.

Personal goal and a bucket list challenge. Have done a 100m bike race and reached weight lifting goals so this was next.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the thread progress. Good luck all :)

Hi choons,

Welcome to the thread! That's a serious 5k time for someone "just" doing parkruns. 10k time is none too shabby either!

The bike race and weightlifting suggests you've a very good level of natural fitness. However, it's still well worth looking at the plans and building up your mileage gradually. The parkrun/1 LR strategy reminds me of something I tried (unsuccessfully) a few years ago in relation to preparing for a marathon.

Sub 4 is *very* achievable, if you can keep the buildup gradual and stay injury free. Thanks again for signing up, and best of luck!

Hi,
    Just saw this thread and really excited about following it. It's exactly what i've been looking for! I've just 40 last month and DCM will be my 1st marathon!
    Started running the start of last year, did the couch to 5km last Jan and Feb 2016. And i'm hooked, did a Half marathon in December and next goal is DCM this October!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?
    I do Parkrun every Saturday morning
    Parkrun PB 25mins 15secs (5km)
    10km PB - Fat Turkey in Howth 28/12/2016 - 56mins
    Half Marathon Wexford Dec 2016 - 2hrs 4 mins
    10 Mile - Trim Feb 2017 1hr 28mins
    5 Mile - Raheny Jan 2017 42mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No

How much training do you currently do ? Currently 3 days a week. Used to be 4 days a week but just working my way back up after injury.
    Between 4 and 5 miles 2 evenings a week including hill repeats and strides. Then lsr of between 7 and 10 miles on Sundays. Also play tennis once or twice a week.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream Finishing time would be 4 hrs 30mins or just under. Realistically would be happy with anything under 5 hours.

How many days a week can you train? Hope to train 4 days a week.

And what plan do you intend to follow? Will follow the Boards plan

Why are you running this marathon? I turned 40 last month and the marathon is such a dream achievement for me. Something i've always wanted to achieve and hope this is the year for me!!!

Hi Mileybichon,

Welcome on board! For someone running not much more than a year, there's some excellent times in there. And since you've got the Fat Turkey Run in the bag already, the hills you will encounter in DCM should hold no fears for you :)

Keep mindful of the fact that you're coming back from injury, and the need to resist the temptation to build the mileage up too much too soon. Once you can manage that, the potential is certainly there for your dream to come true :D

Thanks again for signing up, and best of luck!

SoleDiva wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)
    I'm a 40+++ mum of 3, marathon novice, taking on DCM this year!  I started running in August 2012 using a C25K app.  I signed up for Belfast marathon in 2013 but found out I was pregnant 6 weeks before the event (having run my first HM not knowing and not sure why I was sooooo sick!), so never made it to the starline of Belfast.
    I went back to running when my little dude was 7 months old and to date have completed numerous 10k races and 5 half marathons (Carlingford - the pg one, Belfast HM x 2, Dublin RnR dressed as KISS and GNR).  None of them in a blinding time, but I'm working on that!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) I'm SLOW!! but hopefully progressing.
    5K 30:02 (October 2015)
    10K 1:02:33 (Sept 2015)
    HM 2:19 (Sept 2015)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) Sometimes, depends on how hilly the route is.  I'm focussing on that currently by slowing down and keeping the effort the same and doing my best not to walk.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I currently run 3 or 4 times a week, between 5 and 8k during the week with a longer run at the weekend of between 10k - 16k (building slowly before a calf niggle made me pull back a bit). I do lots of stretching and strength & conditioning stuff at home, plus a yoga class once a week.[/font]

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I'm doing my best to put a finishing time out of my head and just aim to complete it in a time i can be proud of and a time that reflects my abilities.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? Realistically, for this to fit in with family life and work without too much disruption, I aim to run 4 times a week. I have drawn up a plan loosely based on plans I've looked at on the internet - NYRR, MyAsics & Hal Hidgon

I've wanted to run a marathon for as long as I can remember but always thought it was an unachievable dream.  Running has had a huge impact on my life in the last few years.  Living far away from my family & friends, running has given me a big  local "family" and has made me realise my dream isn't out of reach :)

So, that's me!  I talk a lot, always write essays instead of a few lines lol and I'm looking forward to this adventure!!

Hi SoleDiva,

Welcome to the thread! Plenty of running experience in there already. Running the R'N'R Half (twice) dressed up can't be easy. A lot of people I know have struggled with that one in "normal" running attire :)

I wouldn't get too hung up on particular times just yet. You'll have a better idea of what you can do as we progress. Similarly, no shame in missing whatever target you do set for yourself. To complete a marathon takes a lot of training and preparation, as I know from experience. I'm looking over at my DCM fridge magnet type thing at the moment, and it's not going anywhere any time soon! With your work and family situation, it seems you're doing very well to cover everything you're doing at the moment (not to mention the wide variety of training!)

Running a marathon is not unachievable! Hopefully we can help make it happen for you :)

positron wrote: »
    ... and my axe!! Aarrrrr!!

Thank you Wubble for doing this - I have been looking forward to this thread for a while and got the idea to do DCM this year after lurking on last years thread. I am 40, and I started running this time last year with C25K, mainly just to stay healthy and lose some weight while at it. I have done couple of 10k races so far, and that's about it really. I would love to finish a marathon!

5k PB 25:38 Malahide Parkrun couple of months ago. Still trying to crack 25m mark.
    10k PB 54:34 Boyne 10k, 30th April 2017

No, I do run out of steam and slow down a good bit to recover, but then again my longest run ever is only around 15k.

I am aiming for 3-4 runs a week. Total distance last couple of weeks is only around 30k/20m. Finding it hard to get three runs during the week with my long commute. I also would like to keep parkrun as part of my LSR. Lately I have started cycling an hour on Sundays. That's about all of my workout. I am 40, I starte C25k this time last year and before that I had a very sedentary lifestyle.

Finish the marathon. Build up fitness level to take part in couple of marathons a year going forward.

3-4 days realistically. I started on Hal Higdon novice 1 a number of weeks ago, that type of plan looks okay to me I think. By the time I factor in repeated weeks, I might be in sync with this thread.

To feel good about myself. That me less grumpy and almost bearable, almost...

Hi positron,

Welcome to the thread! I did a fair amount of lurking on the 2015 thread, before belatedly diving into the 2016 edition. You've made a lot of progress already, a year from starting C25k. Malahide was my first parkrun love when I started trying those out, way back in 2013 :eek: That sub-25 should come to you fairly handy as your mileage builds.

Sometimes later on you might have to run at odd hours to keep the mileage up. I normally hate running before dawn, but it was definitely worth it for this! Finishing the marathon will be well within your compass. Nearer the time, you'll hopefully have more of an idea of what you're capable of time wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hi Wubble Wubble! Thanks for taking on the challenge of leading the class of 2017!

I've been checking in over the last few weeks to see if this thread had started yet so I'm delighted to find it today! I was one of Younganne's novices in 2012, my first and last marathon (so far). The thread was a huge help to me as I was mostly training on my own, but managed to find an LSR buddy through the group and she was a great help to keeping on track! (Hi FiiFii if you're out there! :D)

After DCM2012 I pretty much stopped running, as if I'd "accomplished" running, like finishing a computer game! :P But over the last few years, around September / October, I see loads of runners out in the Phoenix Park & I know they're training for the marathon and I get a bit jealous. So last summer I decided to get back into it, and have been running to work 3 times a week to get my base running fitness back, and have a half-decent foundation for this summer.

I've done the DCM race series a few times, last time was in 2012, and a few other half marathons (I've done the Paris one 3 times, any excuse! :P) I'm a fairly slow runner. I don't keep great records of PBs but these are some times I saved in some old training file somewhere!
    5m (2007) - 0:51
    10k (2012) - 0:58
    10m (2011) - 1:49
    Half marathon (DCM series 2012) - 2:11
    Marathon (DCM 2012) - 4:58

Nope, although running uphill I might be faster to walk sometimes.

I have a fairly regular workday / weekday routine:
    3 days I run to work (just under 5m), short swim 500m
    2 days I cycle to & from work (about 10m round trip), longer swim 1km to 1 mile (depending on how early I leave the house, can't be late for work!)
    I do vinyasa yoga once a week for the last year & a half.
    A few weeks ago I added a strength session once or twice a week.
    For the last month I've been trying to add in some weekend run, just to get back in the habit of planning my weekend to fit in a run.

First goal is to stick with a training plan and make sure I'm organised & prioritise my weekend runs! So get enough sleep and feed / fuel myself properly. Get to the starting line in good shape!
    Second goal is to run the whole marathon again. If I can do it in less than 4:58, that'll be great. If I grow wings out of my ankles, aim for 4:30.

I can run 4 days a week: 3 runs to / to & from work when the mid-week distances get longer, and one weekend run.
    I may follow the HHN2 plan but I'll take a look at this boards plan too.

When I signed up in 2012, I didn't know if I could, but I wanted to try. Now I know that if I stick with the plan, I can do this. Anyone who can stick with the plan can do this. :)
    It's such a fantastic feeling, arriving to the start line on race day with thousands of other excited runners. I guess I'm chasing the buzz of crossing the finishing line again. :D

Alors, en marche!

Hi Everyone!
    Im 43 year old Momma of 3. Im running about 4 years. Im no Bolt or Radcliffe after a bad year plagued with injury im just glad to be able to lace up and go. Im hoping to do my first (and last) Marathon this year. For me its all about the finish line and not the time anymore.
    ive completed 11 half marathons, (7 of them in 2016) 5 10 milers and numerous 10K & 5K.

5K 28:30 (last week)
    10K 56.00 (Nov 2016)
    Half 2:10 (Dec 2016)

In general no but I do walk hilly hills!

Normally I run three times a week - haven't been as disciplined as id like for the last couple of months and life just seems to get in the way. But I did make a promise to myself that by Mid-May id cop myself on! so this thread has come about at the right time - a sign surely??? :-)

My dream is to finish - Im saying 5 hours but if its more its more but I doubt if it will be less.

My intention is to do 3 mid-week runs, cross train 1 or 2 days, and a long run on weekends.

I am running this marathon for me - I like setting challenges for myself and I think this is a pretty big challenge.

Best of luck to everyone on the thread - heres to a few months of safe injury free running!
    See you at the finish line x

Hi DCM17DREAMER,

Welcome aboard! That's some number of half marathons in the one year! My best in the one year is four (also 2016), 11 in total. A distance I really enjoy.

There's not that many "hilly hills" on the course. Most of the tougher ones are in the first half, so don't be too worried about walking!

Life can and does get in the way of running from time to time. But the plans have a bit of give in them like that. Hopefully the timing of the thread will help you along :D

Both plans include the long run at weekends, as well as midweek runs. With the cross training in there too, your fitness should come on in leaps and bounds.

DCM is indeed a big challenge, but I found it to be a very worthwhile one, and what an experience! Thanks again for signing up, and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jamser58

Fair play for doing this, no doubt it will help a lot of people again this year.

I think I'll be doing the Hal Higdon one because there is more rest days, less long runs and less confusing abbreviations in the activities : ( WTF is 1m w/u, 5m pace, 1m c/d ):D

5k - 22.30 in training March 2017,23:45 in racing
    5 Mile - Training in March 2017 42:36
    10k - Glounaguillagh National School fun run 2nd April 48:30
    10 Mile- Tralee Valentines Run Feb 2017 1:26:31
    Half Marathon - Dingle September 2016 2h 17mins

No

How much training do you currently do ?
    2-3 runs a week. Normally 5-7 miles.
    2-3 hours of fairly high intense soccer games.
    2 hours walking approx.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream 4:15. Realistic 4:32

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the Hal Higdon plan loosely taking in as many events as possible over the next few months.

To achieve something for myself. To maintain fitness and keep weight down and to have a goal.To run for those who can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Best of luck to all the novices this year from a 2016 novice. The next 5 months will absolutely fly and I can guarantee you'll never forget the journey you're about to start. You have a great mentor in WW and I'd certainly recommend skimming through his training log to get tips on writing the all important race reports :)

I'm signed up for Dublin again this year and I'll be following this with interest so feel free to ask me anything about the experience.

J, good luck yourself and enjoy it. I see you're already working hard on the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I can do 6 days, and I'm not sure on which plan. Possibly the boards one, or maybe a P&D plan from the book (though maybe these are a bit too much for now). I like the layout of this 3:15-4:00 one with the rest day on Friday and long run on Sunday. I'm open to suggestions on this front though.

Hey BK,

The 3:15 - 4:00 plan looks pretty light on sessions and milage to me (more so the latter) for a 3:15 attempt. It starts at 30 miles, and peaks at 58 miles, with no MP paced miles prescribed. Maybe with your speed and relative youth that'd be enough, but I think you could consider a plan with more miles and marathon specific workouts. If possible, drop the 5 a side too ;)

• Advertisement

Just to add briefly to the bit on 5-a-side, and anything else that can involve a lot of twisting and turning.

A friend of mine from my GAA club (late 30s) ran DCM one year, while at the same time continuing to play football and hurling. While he finished it out in something like 4:11, for his next marathon cycle he took a break from the GAA to prepare for Belfast. On a much tougher course, he knocked about 20 minutes off his DCM time. So not to say it can't be done, but it can be done better if you concentrate on the one, as opposed to trying to combine the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

2017 Novices!! Buckle up - its an amazing ride!

2016 grad here and i am so jealous of you lot starting this journey. Being part of this thread last year was so great - support, advice, banter, feeling guilty about not being in bed at 11pm :)!!

We all shared the same worries about doing it - the training looked insane, but trust me - there will come a day soon when you say "only a short one this week 13 miles!". The advice from experienced runners on how to approach DCM is invaluable and the day itself was one of the best of my life. The closest thing to being a rock star for a day!

Enjoy it all, think positive, run slow, eat well and bed early - its will be great! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good Morning all :)
    I am a mum to 7 ! yep you read that right LOL I am 41 years old and only really got in to running last summer when I used a c25k app on my phone so very much new comer. I have always been active worked with horses, hill walking, Zumba, cycling over the years. but I gained a bit of weight during my pregnancies which I have lost a lot of and after the birth of my son and a difficult recovery I wanted to get back exercising and feeling inspired from one or two friends on facebook who ran I decided I would start! think I caught the bug looking at them LOL I love it now wish I had started sooner though!

yes a few 5k
    March 12 St Laurence OToole 5k time 29.09 minutes
    I have got under 29 minutes since but was not a race

No ( although I did use them recently when I started Hill training )

3 -4 runs a week, distance ranging from 5k to 10K slowly building distance
    2-3 classes of boootcamp
    2 to 3 times a week cycling

I love to be able to run it in 4 hours but I think 5 or just under would be more realistic! but my main aim would be finishing :)

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I have not picked a training plan yet as honestly not sure where to start

I guess because it is a huge challenge and I would love to achieve it, nobody is promised tomorrow and if your able to do something then do it. live life to the fullest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck with the mentoring WW, the class of 2017 are in safe hands.
    Good luck to all the novices, this wont be an easy journey but nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment when you cross the finish line after your first marathon. Enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Another 2016 graduate here. Best of luck everyone, you're all in safe hands with Wubble Wubble. Training for your first marathon is an incredible experience, and you'll pick up a wealth of valuable knowledge from the thread. I'll be following this with great interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Best of luck to everyone. Best advice I can give is to listen. For most of you, this is the first time doing this distance. It's humbling, and there's nothing worse than a tired last few miles (Well, you will be tired, but there's managed tiredness and not! :) )

I did Dublin in 2015 as my first, and again in 2016. I won't be there this year as I'm doing Berlin, but you will have a great day out if you listen to the advice here. Best of luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 John McClane

Thanks Wubble Wubble, what time did you do DCM in the end or what was your target time going into it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Is there a cut off date before the plans start date for when we should stop doing races (not including the race series/or equivalent).

Have none in mind yet, just wondering is it better to build a base up or do a race or two before the plan starts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ToriV wrote: »
    2016 grad here and i am so jealous of you lot starting this journey. Being part of this thread last year was so great - support, advice, banter, feeling guilty about not being in bed at 11pm :)!!

To add to this, get used to early starts for your long runs. If you're still lurking in the thread at 9:30/10am we'll be on your case. ;) But, it's fun to be up before half your town is awake, you'll get out those back roads and be on the return just as others are starting their Saturday walks. After a while, double digit runs will feel grand altogether and you'll wonder how your body is doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Singer wrote: »
    Hey BK,

The 3:15 - 4:00 plan looks pretty light on sessions and milage to me (more so the latter) for a 3:15 attempt. It starts at 30 miles, and peaks at 58 miles, with no MP paced miles prescribed. Maybe with your speed and relative youth that'd be enough, but I think you could consider a plan with more miles and marathon specific workouts. If possible, drop the 5 a side too ;)
    Hey Singer,

Yeah I haven't decided on which plan yet, and tbh I didn't look at that one in too much depth yet, I just liked the layout of that one as it pretty much matches what days I do what now. Though I suppose most plans can be altered to fit what I do now.

As for the mileage, considering the most I've ever done in a week is just under 60k, the idea of 90 odd k as a peak being on the low side is...:eek: But yeah, I'll take that into account, as I said I haven't looked at it in depth. Tbh, I can't see me doing well with a plan that quickly gets to 70k+ a week and peaks over 100k as I feel that'd be too much too soon for me. Or maybe it wouldn't, I'm not too sure, but I dread the thought of having to take a week or two off because of doing too much. As for the sessions, I agree. I don't do enough sessions at the moment really, but I definitely plan to run a lot of MP/tempo miles for this.

I have the P&D Advanced marathoning book on the way, so I'll have a look at the lowest mileage plan in that (peaks at 55mpw I think?). I also have notions of making my own plan as I've yet to successfully follow a plan and the structure of most plans seem to be quite same-y. I also like the idea of coming up with my own plan based on what I've read and what I know about myself, but perhaps that's a bit foolish for my first.

As for the 5-a-side (same to you WW), I plan to stop that around June/July. Even at the moment I'd only play once a month or so, but I'll definitely be knocking it on the head a couple of months out from the marathon.

Cheers
    Just to add briefly to the bit on 5-a-side, and anything else that can involve a lot of twisting and turning.

A friend of mine from my GAA club (late 30s) ran DCM one year, while at the same time continuing to play football and hurling. While he finished it out in something like 4:11, for his next marathon cycle he took a break from the GAA to prepare for Belfast. On a much tougher course, he knocked about 20 minutes off his DCM time. So not to say it can't be done, but it can be done better if you concentrate on the one, as opposed to trying to combine the two.

• Advertisement

Hi Wubble Wubble! Thanks for taking on the challenge of leading the class of 2017!

I've been checking in over the last few weeks to see if this thread had started yet so I'm delighted to find it today! I was one of Younganne's novices in 2012, my first and last marathon (so far). The thread was a huge help to me as I was mostly training on my own, but managed to find an LSR buddy through the group and she was a great help to keeping on track! (Hi FiiFii if you're out there! :D)

After DCM2012 I pretty much stopped running, as if I'd "accomplished" running, like finishing a computer game! :P But over the last few years, around September / October, I see loads of runners out in the Phoenix Park & I know they're training for the marathon and I get a bit jealous. So last summer I decided to get back into it, and have been running to work 3 times a week to get my base running fitness back, and have a half-decent foundation for this summer.

I've done the DCM race series a few times, last time was in 2012, and a few other half marathons (I've done the Paris one 3 times, any excuse! :P) I'm a fairly slow runner. I don't keep great records of PBs but these are some times I saved in some old training file somewhere!
    5m (2007) - 0:51
    10k (2012) - 0:58
    10m (2011) - 1:49
    Half marathon (DCM series 2012) - 2:11
    Marathon (DCM 2012) - 4:58

Nope, although running uphill I might be faster to walk sometimes.

I have a fairly regular workday / weekday routine:
    3 days I run to work (just under 5m), short swim 500m
    2 days I cycle to & from work (about 10m round trip), longer swim 1km to 1 mile (depending on how early I leave the house, can't be late for work!)
    I do vinyasa yoga once a week for the last year & a half.
    A few weeks ago I added a strength session once or twice a week.
    For the last month I've been trying to add in some weekend run, just to get back in the habit of planning my weekend to fit in a run.

First goal is to stick with a training plan and make sure I'm organised & prioritise my weekend runs! So get enough sleep and feed / fuel myself properly. Get to the starting line in good shape!
    Second goal is to run the whole marathon again. If I can do it in less than 4:58, that'll be great. If I grow wings out of my ankles, aim for 4:30.

I can run 4 days a week: 3 runs to / to & from work when the mid-week distances get longer, and one weekend run.
    I may follow the HHN2 plan but I'll take a look at this boards plan too.

When I signed up in 2012, I didn't know if I could, but I wanted to try. Now I know that if I stick with the plan, I can do this. Anyone who can stick with the plan can do this. :)
    It's such a fantastic feeling, arriving to the start line on race day with thousands of other excited runners. I guess I'm chasing the buzz of crossing the finishing line again. :D

Alors, en marche!

Hi shortie_chik,

Welcome to the 2017 edition of the Novices thread!

Back in 2012, I didn't know there was such a thing as an Athletics/Running/Triathlon things on Boards. Of course, the route has changed a bit since too, so it should hopefully still be a great experience for you.

I ran my first marathon in Paris. Bonnet de douche! A beautiful place to run and the route passes all the landmarks. Didn't make it any less painful at the finish though :eek:

You're getting a fair bit done already in terms of fitness work, and none of it looks overly hectic. Just try to build the weekend runs slowly, in terms of both pacing and mileage. Your previous experience will stand to you once the distances build up, and that buzz is well worth chasing; I'm going again myself this year. Last year I went with the Boards plan, but HH worked for a large number of the 2016 novices too. Thanks again for checking in, and best of luck!

jamser58 wrote: »
    Fair play for doing this, no doubt it will help a lot of people again this year.

I think I'll be doing the Hal Higdon one because there is more rest days, less long runs and less confusing abbreviations in the activities : ( WTF is 1m w/u, 5m pace, 1m c/d ):D

5k - 22.30 in training March 2017,23:45 in racing
    5 Mile - Training in March 2017 42:36
    10k - Glounaguillagh National School fun run 2nd April 48:30
    10 Mile- Tralee Valentines Run Feb 2017 1:26:31
    Half Marathon - Dingle September 2016 2h 17mins

No

2-3 runs a week. Normally 5-7 miles.
    2-3 hours of fairly high intense soccer games.
    2 hours walking approx.

Dream 4:15. Realistic 4:32

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I plan to use the Hal Higdon plan loosely taking in as many events as possible over the next few months.

To achieve something for myself. To maintain fitness and keep weight down and to have a goal.To run for those who can't.

Hi jamser58,

Welcome aboard! I hope this thread can be of benefit to many. I think the last few years' Novices thread have been the busiest in Athletics/Running/Triathlon on Boards.

warmup/cooldown.... I'll explain more of the terminology as we go :)

There's some very good times in there! 22:30 in training is interesting. Kerry has a nice few parkruns that you could try. As your endurance builds up, those longer distance PBs should fall significantly and maybe give you a better idea of your race day target.

The "2-3 hours of fairly high intense soccer games." bit set alarm bells ringing here. You would probably be fit enough to combine the two, but the additional sharp twisting and turning in the soccer may have an impact as the marathon gets closer. Having played myself for years, I'd never try tell anyone not to play. But I'm an old crock now, and paranoid about getting injured if I ever went back to it :D

Anyway, thanks again for signing up, and best of luck!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Good Morning all :)
    I am a mum to 7 ! yep you read that right LOL I am 41 years old and only really got in to running last summer when I used a c25k app on my phone so very much new comer. I have always been active worked with horses, hill walking, Zumba, cycling over the years. but I gained a bit of weight during my pregnancies which I have lost a lot of and after the birth of my son and a difficult recovery I wanted to get back exercising and feeling inspired from one or two friends on facebook who ran I decided I would start! think I caught the bug looking at them LOL I love it now wish I had started sooner though!

yes a few 5k
    March 12 St Laurence OToole 5k time 29.09 minutes
    I have got under 29 minutes since but was not a race

No ( although I did use them recently when I started Hill training )

3 -4 runs a week, distance ranging from 5k to 10K slowly building distance
    2-3 classes of boootcamp
    2 to 3 times a week cycling

I love to be able to run it in 4 hours but I think 5 or just under would be more realistic! but my main aim would be finishing :)

I can train 4 to 5 days a week. I have not picked a training plan yet as honestly not sure where to start

I guess because it is a huge challenge and I would love to achieve it, nobody is promised tomorrow and if your able to do something then do it. live life to the fullest.

Hi Baby75,

Welcome to the thread! Don't worry about it only being a year since C25k, plenty here have done DCM in that kind of period, and no doubt many more will follow. Still plenty of time!

At this point, I wouldn't be overly concerned about which plan to follow, once you stick to the one you decide to run with :)

You have the right idea in relation to the training it seems. Keep it nice and steady as you slowly build up distance.

The marathon is indeed a huge challenge, but a very achievable one! It can be an achievement for you; certainly you've a highly positive outlook on it all.

Thanks for signing up, and best of luck!

Thanks Wubble Wubble, what time did you do DCM in the end or what was your target time going into it ?

Not to go into mad detail here about my own runs, but my target on the day was 3:40. An old ITB issue, and illness, came into the equation in the closing weeks, but the long and short of it was a result of 3:49. Like I say, I'm still very proud of that time!

Omeceron wrote: »
    Is there a cut off date before the plans start date for when we should stop doing races (not including the race series/or equivalent).

Have none in mind yet, just wondering is it better to build a base up or do a race or two before the plan starts

Hi Omeceron,

No cut off date for races at all really. Just a few guidelines though.
    I would try build up a base before taking on any other pre-plan races. You can still race, but having that extra advance mileage will help you.

I ran the Clontarf HM in week 2 of last year's Boards plan, not at anywhere near full tilt. This replaced the long run scheduled for that week, with the Sunday being a recovery run day.

Something a lot of people have done in previous years, was enter races and (for example) partly run them at their planned marathon pace. I'm lucky enough to live near a parkrun, so one of the things I did in the later weeks, was structure my Saturday long run in such a way that the last few miles would tie in directly with my local parkrun. The hard thing then was trying to resist the temptation to speed up at the end :)

More detail on this as we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 michael031987

Hi
    I've just started running of January this year with a goal of 2017 being the year for the DCM. And it is safe to say that I'm hooked. I turned 30 this year so it was a now or never sort of thing. I'm not a fast runner but hopefully this year the goal is to complete the challenges in front of me and then next year to focus on PB's

Don't do parkruns as times don't suit me with work so largely all of my running is just me, headphones and open road. The goal at the start of the year was to do the 10k at the roayal canal marathon but training was just going perfect so I'm proud to say that I completed the half marathon instead and a sub 2hr to boot

I'm not great for keeping a track of PB's but a few that I've noted
    5k - 25m23s in training this week
    10k- 51m57s the ros run 2nd April
    Half- 1hr 58m 57s royal canal run 22april

No

I run 4 days a week 2 5k 1 8k and 1 LSR

The dream is sub 4h30m but just to finish would be amazing

Because of work I'm restricted to 4days max training. I'm currently following the ASICS run app

My son was born last year and I want to try to set an example from early days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck to this year's group of novices, I'm a graduate of the 2015 novices thread and I wish you all the very best in earning your graduate status over the coming months.
    Listen to the advice you get here, don't get too hung up on target times (you may not finalise a goal time until the last few weeks of training, just get them miles into you) and with a bit of luck you will get to the start line.

For DCM 2015, I had some niggly knee issues in the last month of my training so in the end I reverted back to my real goal of doing the marathon and not to get too hung up on a finishing time and it went great. Thankfully I have managed to get through two more marathons since then in better shape and a lot faster, it is a thrill giving everything you can to something so testing and coming out the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 John McClane

Not to go into mad detail here about my own runs, but my target on the day was 3:40. An old ITB issue, and illness, came into the equation in the closing weeks, but the long and short of it was a result of 3:49. Like I say, I'm still very proud of that time!

Thanks Wubble Wubble, it will be good to talk to someone based on similar numbers going forward. Would love to get down towards 3.45 but would be equally delighted with sub 4hr as the step up in distance is step into the unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 22 julesdub

Hi, delighted to see this page and am looking forward to participating in it! I've been running for a year and am currently up to half marathon level. Signed up a couple of days ago for the series, this will be my first marathon so am nervous/excited 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Hi
    I've just started running of January this year with a goal of 2017 being the year for the DCM. And it is safe to say that I'm hooked. I turned 30 this year so it was a now or never sort of thing. I'm not a fast runner but hopefully this year the goal is to complete the challenges in front of me and then next year to focus on PB's

Don't do parkruns as times don't suit me with work so largely all of my running is just me, headphones and open road. The goal at the start of the year was to do the 10k at the roayal canal marathon but training was just going perfect so I'm proud to say that I completed the half marathon instead and a sub 2hr to boot

I'm not great for keeping a track of PB's but a few that I've noted
    5k - 25m23s in training this week
    10k- 51m57s the ros run 2nd April
    Half- 1hr 58m 57s royal canal run 22april

No

I run 4 days a week 2 5k 1 8k and 1 LSR

The dream is sub 4h30m but just to finish would be amazing

Because of work I'm restricted to 4days max training. I'm currently following the ASICS run app

My son was born last year and I want to try to set an example from early days

Another 2016 grad here!

Michael the above sounds very similar to my situation last year but I only ran 3 days a week - looks like you have a good routine and a good base going into the training! good luck with it!

A tip for everyone (and of course this is personal preference) is to ditch the asics app, runkeeper, endowhateveritscalled, garmin connect etc etc and move to strava - it is a much better platform and more social - its great to see what other members of the DCM2017 group are doing and when they are doing it and the kudos you get after your runs from other members make hard runs feel easier

Advertisement