Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭conor_mc

pcuser wrote: »
    Can someone tell me when I should introduce energy gels to my runs. My longest L.S.R so far has being 10 miles. I have a 12 mile L.S.R this week. I normally have some bread with chocolate spread about 1.5 hours before my longer runs and it seems to do the job.

Gels work against the goal of your training (optimise fat burn), so don't use them just because it's an LSR. Trial them, figure out what works for race day, figure out what doesn't cause digestive distress, etc. Once you know what works for you, don't keep using them.

If you're struggling through the last few miles of an LSR, then bring a euro with you and buy a banana, it's a much healthier alternative with better post-run/recovery benefits. Depends on the individual, but up to 10 miles can be done before eating breakfast, 10-15 miles on a good breakfast of porridge + banana, for example. For 15-20 miles, a snack might be needed.

For what it's worth, on marathon day I took 2-3 gels but felt better for eating a solid food like a banana or a few jelly beans. Might just have been a placebo effect and ymmv, but I think a solid food helps settle my stomach.

EDIT: posted some marathon nutrition advice in this thread for what it's worth.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057739552/1

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

I'll jump on board !

a bit about myself , I was mainly an adventure racing / mountain runner. done many races with the imra ,and the old WAR which used to be held in Wicklow, my furthest race was Killarney 75k .

last year we had a baby which put a sudden halt on the hours of training I was able to do.

I have been building a base for the last 2 or 3 months with weight training and getting up to around 20mile a week.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k Raheny park run 2016- 19min
    Raheny 5mile 2017 - 39mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 days running , 2 slow runs , 1 run with maybe some fartlek , 1 slow run on the weekend. cycle to work 3 days a week , I can run this if needed 4 miles there 4 miles home. I try my best to get 2 heavy compound weight lifting sessions in as I found this key to preventing injury. as the miles get higher I may cut this just to 1 session a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    dream time is 3.30 realistic time is 3.50

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 4 days a week , I can also run to work if its needed, I plan on using the boards plan.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I have my sisters wedding in November so it is a reason for me to be in decent shape for it, Also after having the baby I cant get to the hills to do my running so the road will be my new best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Postponed my morning run today until this evening as yesterday's session was pretty hard. Have a gait analysis at 6pm, and picking some new shoes, can't wait for that.

Have a bad feeling that I'm coming down with a cold, brutal timing with the race this Sat, hopefully not, hopefully just strong hay fever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Had a night out with mates on Saturday. Have completed all my sessions since, but been feeling flat and tired. Do people just push on in this circumstance? Supposed to run this eve but I'd say it's 50/50, even if I know it will revitalise me in some sense

Listen to your body - take a day off! You're better off being rested and eager to go for a run the following day rather than be constantly tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

deisedude wrote: »
    Anyone tried Generation UCAN as an alternative to gels? I've a very sensitive stomach at the best of times so don't want to mess with gels

Hi deisedude. Yep, it's a brilliant product and I don't know why more marathoners don't use it. I found it good on up to 6 hour training runs, but it didn't suit me for my longer ultras so I've switched to another product, but I used it all of last year and on plenty of training marathon distance runs where it was just brilliant.
    I used the plain one, but the lemon flavour has the electrolytes included so you don't need to take anything else. I took Nuun tablets or S-caps with the plain flavour for electrolytes.
    If you have any other questions about it, just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi deisedude. Yep, it's a brilliant product and I don't know why more marathoners don't use it. I found it good on up to 6 hour training runs, but it didn't suit me for my longer ultras so I've switched to another product, but I used it all of last year and on plenty of training marathon distance runs where it was just brilliant.
    I used the plain one, but the lemon flavour has the electrolytes included so you don't need to take anything else. I took Nuun tablets or S-caps with the plain flavour for electrolytes.
    If you have any other questions about it, just ask.

Cheers Ososlo, I ordered some there the other night to try out. How often did you take it? Did you take it in drink format or make your own gel with it?

Cheers Ososlo, I ordered some there the other night to try out. How often did you take it? Did you take it in drink format or make your own gel with it?

I took one gel 30 mins before my run and one gel (one scoop) every 1.5 hours thereafter. You might find that every 2 hours suits you better. It’s trial and error.

I used to make a gel. I tried many different methods for carrying the mixture and this was by far the best in my experience:

I used baby food pouches with screw on tops like these:
    http://www.newyorkfamily.com/ellas-kitchen-offers-eco-friendly-baby-food/

Method: Get rid of baby food, rinse pouch thoroughly, make Ucan gel in a glass. Use one scoop of Ucan and add just small amounts of water at a time and mix with a fork. Put a funnel on the pouch opening and pour liquid in. Use a VERY small amount of water at a time - can't stress this enough. Your gel pouch will be quite small so you want to make just enough mixture to fill the pouch and no more as you want it to be concentrated.

Squish the gel around in the pouch and shake before you consume it as the mixture settles a lot.

For training runs I just put the Ucan in a 500ml water bottle (less hassle) and might put up to 3 scoops and fill bottle with water and stop off at car to drink a third every 1.5 hours. Again, shake the bottle really well before you drink it, as the mixture settles. But for racing, I'd defo use the gel pouch method for convenience but get used to it in training too. You can get empty food pouches on ebay etc too.
    These shorts were brilliant for carrying the gels as they have loads of pockets which are a perfect size:
    http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Mens-Running-Shorts-With-Pockets-s/1831.htm

Let us know how it goes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ososlo wrote: »

I took one gel 30 mins before my run and one gel (one scoop) every 1.5 hours thereafter. You might find that every 2 hours suits you better. It’s trial and error.

I used to make a gel. I tried many different methods for carrying the mixture and this was by far the best in my experience:

I used baby food pouches with screw on tops like these:
    http://www.newyorkfamily.com/ellas-kitchen-offers-eco-friendly-baby-food/

Method: Get rid of baby food, rinse pouch thoroughly, make Ucan gel in a glass. Use one scoop of Ucan and add just small amounts of water at a time and mix with a fork. Put a funnel on the pouch opening and pour liquid in. Use a VERY small amount of water at a time - can't stress this enough. Your gel pouch will be quite small so you want to make just enough mixture to fill the pouch and no more as you want it to be concentrated.

Squish the gel around in the pouch and shake before you consume it as the mixture settles a lot.

For training runs I just put the Ucan in a 500ml water bottle (less hassle) and might put up to 3 scoops and fill bottle with water and stop off at car to drink a third every 1.5 hours. Again, shake the bottle really well before you drink it, as the mixture settles. But for racing, I'd defo use the gel pouch method for convenience but get used to it in training too. You can get empty food pouches on ebay etc too.
    These shorts were brilliant for carrying the gels as they have loads of pockets which are a perfect size:
    http://www.ultramarathonrunningstore.com/Mens-Running-Shorts-With-Pockets-s/1831.htm

Let us know how it goes!!!

You are an absolute legend! Answered everything I had been thinking!

You are an absolute legend! Answered everything I had been thinking!

No problem whatsoever. If you have any more questions in relation to this, and I don't spot them here, feel free to pm.
    Best of luck with your training, deisedude!

Lazare wrote: »
    Postponed my morning run today until this evening as yesterday's session was pretty hard. Have a gait analysis at 6pm, and picking some new shoes, can't wait for that.

Highly recommend Amphibian King, such great service, and advice. Picked up a pair of New Balance 860v7, they feel great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ianm1990 wrote: »
    I'll jump on board !

a bit about myself , I was mainly an adventure racing / mountain runner. done many races with the imra ,and the old WAR which used to be held in Wicklow, my furthest race was Killarney 75k .

last year we had a baby which put a sudden halt on the hours of training I was able to do.

I have been building a base for the last 2 or 3 months with weight training and getting up to around 20mile a week.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k Raheny park run 2016- 19min
    Raheny 5mile 2017 - 39mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 days running , 2 slow runs , 1 run with maybe some fartlek , 1 slow run on the weekend. cycle to work 3 days a week , I can run this if needed 4 miles there 4 miles home. I try my best to get 2 heavy compound weight lifting sessions in as I found this key to preventing injury. as the miles get higher I may cut this just to 1 session a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    dream time is 3.30 realistic time is 3.50

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 4 days a week , I can also run to work if its needed, I plan on using the boards plan.

I have my sisters wedding in November so it is a reason for me to be in decent shape for it, Also after having the baby I cant get to the hills to do my running so the road will be my new best friend.

Fair play ianm1990, always room for more here :D
    Big difference between the 5k and 5 mile times? Normally this would suggest a lack of endurance, but due to the fact you've all those adventure races in the bag, endurance should be the least of your concerns? However, you're getting the base back up, good choice on the Boards plan.
    Thanks for joining up, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Have a bad feeling that I'm coming down with a cold, brutal timing with the race this Sat, hopefully not, hopefully just strong hay fever.

Sorry to see this Lazare! Hope it's coming around now. Running when you're ill can be a horrible experience. Best not to if it turns out bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

Fair play ianm1990, always room for more here :D
    Big difference between the 5k and 5 mile times? Normally this would suggest a lack of endurance, but due to the fact you've all those adventure races in the bag, endurance should be the least of your concerns? However, you're getting the base back up, good choice on the Boards plan.
    Thanks for joining up, best of luck!

2016 I was at a very good level of fitness weighing 80kg at the time aswell , fast forward a year bought a house , had a baby , 95kg at the moment , that's with loosing 3 kg already , raheny 5 mile was shocking for me felt terrible and that's what gave me a wake up call. Need to battle the food demons my biggest down fall!

Sorry to see this Lazare! Hope it's coming around now. Running when you're ill can be a horrible experience. Best not to if it turns out bad.

Thanks v much Wubble. It seems to be gone now thankfully, felt rotten last night and much of today but feel pretty good now. Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great to log on and see so many replies and loads of good advice, I learn so much every time I log on :)

I have not ran as much as this week, cycled more this week, I took part in a 40Km cycle on Wednesday. which went great finished it in 1 hour 38 minutes Im happy with as I only got back cycling in the last 2 months.

I was planning a recovery run today but it did not go to plan as 19 month old took a bad tumble and we ended up in A&E but he is ok thankfully, gave me a fright though

My legs may have needed the rest I have been training the last 5 days :D

Ok enough of my rambling, Happy running everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm almost afraid to say it out loud but I think I'm in - well I went ahead and registered for the marathon and signed up for the full race series.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I wanted to see how I came through the pre-training especially the mid week 3 days in a row before committing and so far so good. Looking forward to my longer run in the sunshine tomorrow morning so this is a good sign.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I wont break any speed records so hopefully there will be a few more here in the same category.[/font]

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k PB - 28:50 min (May 2016)
    10k PB - 58:40 ( Oct 2016)
    Half Marathon - 2:16 (Nov 2016) - had hoped to do better on the day but fingers crossed I can improve it this summer.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No but might introduce some for the longer training runs over 21km

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Had to take a break from running the past few months for a non running related injury. So just getting back into to again the past few weeks. Repeating week one of the HH marathon plan ( 3 * 5 km and 1 longer run) plan to ease myself back into it again. [/font]

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    My aim is just to finish it. But would love to see a 4 on the clock ( 4:59:59)

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Im going to follow the HH marathon plan and will add some strength classes and a yoga class each week as well.

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the sense of achievement. Been a busy few years with kids/work and want to do something for myself. [/font]

A question about cross training. Particularly gym sessions. Given it's on recovery days what level of intensity is fine? Am I right to assume it's fine to push yourself on non leg work?

What sort of leg work is ok, again, given it's a recovery day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to the novices doing the Irish Runner 5 Mile in the morning....dont forget to post the obligatory race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

A question about cross training. Particularly gym sessions. Given it's on recovery days what level of intensity is fine? Am I right to assume it's fine to push yourself on non leg work?

Also very interested in these questions!

Missing doing weights already because I've been cutting back and switching to running. Would love to do both but not at the expense of a slower Marathon time.

My Plan

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

choons wrote: »
    Also very interested in these questions!

Missing doing weights already because I've been cutting back and switching to running. Would love to do both but not at the expense of a slower Marathon time.

My Plan

Yup would be really interested in is too...what kind of strength training should one do with running and where do you fit it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Don't have any experience of doing both myself, but for what it's worth, I'd max out at medium intensity even for non-leg work. Ultimately, recovery is about regenerating muscle mass. If there is a limit to your body's capacity to recover muscle (e.g. protein absorption, etc. I don't know the science exactly), the you're directing some of that recovery capability away from your legs/hips/core where it's needed most.

Although maybe that's something you can balance out, as in ramp down weights as running volume ramps up.

If I had spare gym time though (and speaking from bitter experience here!) I'd use it to focus on stretching/ running S&C/ other cardio like bike or easy rowing...... the injury prevention type of work!

That makes tons of sense, ty.

That was awesome, some heat though, that climb up Furry Glen was an absolute slog.

Took exactly one minute off my Raheny time which I'm delighted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Hi everybody. I've got some questions that maybe someone here might have experience with. Hopefully it will be helpful to more than just me. In just finished week 5 of the higdon novice 1 plan, building to the kilkenny medieval marathon in september. Just did my first 10 mile run this week, took 1:52:00 and i know thats slow but glad to cover the distance. I had some questions come up that I'd like to see some discussion on.

My first major issue is, i work very long shifts i.e. 25 hours and generally 5 shifts in 2 weeks over any 7 days. That means ive got some weeks where I'm maybe off Tuesdayand wednesday on week, Friday and saturday the next. When following the HHN1 plan can i just completly juggle around all the runs so that over the course of 7 days i cover the necessary mileage? Also I've been replacing the cross training after my long run with a 30 minute slow jog to recover, is this okay?

I have some other stuff to ask too.

1. What clothing are people wearing? I know its a "how long is a piece of string" but what are people finding good? Any particular brands or items you swear by? Long sleeve vs tshirt vs singlet? Socks and shorts suggestions?

2. As a guy i get nipple chafing on longer runs. Maybe its a mix of factors but anyone have any tips to combat this?

3. Tips for keeping sweat out of my eyes?

4. Any good sunscreen people are using that isn't just falling apart with sweat?

5. Hydration on my long runs is starting to become something i need to address. Is it worth getting a hydration belt? If so recommendations? Or just carry a bottle. Or what have people found good.

6. How necessary is a gps watch? My aim on current times is to complete the marathon in 5 hours. As it's my first, I'll be glad just to finish. I'm not super concerned with splits and the like so where do people come down on tracking this kind of stuff?

7. Anyone got any tips for running with hayfever? I feel it may be slowing me down a bit but i dont know?

8. Also, when running on roads so i be running with or against traffic?

Looking forward to see peoples replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great stuff! The Esteemed leader of the novices pack this year is famous ( or should that be infamous??) for his race reports; so over the weekend when you have time stick one in the thread. What went well; what didn't go so well etc?

Some heat out there today alright!

That was awesome, some heat though, that climb up Furry Glen was an absolute slog.

Took exactly one minute off my Raheny time which I'm delighted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Kmagic wrote: »
    Hi everybody. I've got some questions that maybe someone here might have experience with. Hopefully it will be helpful to more than just me. In just finished week 5 of the higdon novice 1 plan, building to the kilkenny medieval marathon in september. Just did my first 10 mile run this week, took 1:52:00 and i know thats slow but glad to cover the distance. I had some questions come up that I'd like to see some discussion on.

My first major issue is, i work very long shifts i.e. 25 hours and generally 5 shifts in 2 weeks over any 7 days. That means ive got some weeks where I'm maybe off Tuesdayand wednesday on week, Friday and saturday the next. When following the HHN1 plan can i just completly juggle around all the runs so that over the course of 7 days i cover the necessary mileage? Also I've been replacing the cross training after my long run with a 30 minute slow jog to recover, is this okay?

HI Kmagic. I will give this a go. First off I have completed the same programme 3 years ago. Went extremely well and my aim was to finish the race running continuously. You are right, that shift work has to be taken into consideration. Is there any sort of regular pattern to those shifts? Do you get a chance to properly recover from each shift? No need to answer, its just something to keep in mind if you are planning a running week.

The plan involves a 3 day cycle and one long run (LR). I think it is possible to change some elements but I would try to plan a rest day before the LR. By all means do one of the lower mileage days the day before the LR but plan to run it as an Easy Run. Likewise the day after the LR can be treated as a Recovery Run day instead of Cross Training, but again you need to run this distance very slowly to allow muscle recovery. If you run the LR on a Thursday then also plan to keep at least 5 days, and preferably a week between your LR's. Similarly keep a few days between your longer midweek run and LR. There will be the very odd week and some of this will be difficult so just prioritise your Midweek Long Run and your LR.

Try and get at least one of the short (currently 3 miles) runs done the day before the longer midweek run as a way of sliding into a weeks running.

I have some other stuff to ask too.

1. What clothing are people wearing? I know its a "how long is a piece of string" but what are people finding good? Any particular brands or items you swear by? Long sleeve vs tshirt vs singlet? Socks and shorts suggestions?
    Short Sleeve T for a balance of sun protection and comfort. Try a white colour which reflects the sun and reduces heat absorbtion. Stay away from cotton T shirts.....to warm and heavy when wet (* see 2). Shorts: Any light and breathable modern fabrics are good. Check for a handy zippable pocket for key or a fiver.

Get the gear now and start wearing it so that come race day you are comfortable.

2. As a guy i get nipple chafing on longer runs. Maybe its a mix of factors but anyone have any tips to combat this?
    (* from 1) Cotton can drag when wet with sweat and rain and destroy your nipples very quickly. You don't want to finish with the dreaded red rings. Try some Bodyglide or cheaper vaseline. I use some vaseline on a small amount of cotton and place same on Physio Tape before double taping on. Use for the very long runs in this weather. Do shave first!!!!

3. Tips for keeping sweat out of my eyes?
    A visor hat with no top. Often worn by tennis starlets and golfers and a very famous Boardsie of continental origin!!! His might be orange :D.

4. Any good sunscreen people are using that isn't just falling apart with sweat?

Sorry. I try and run early morning to avoid the sun.

5. Hydration on my long runs is starting to become something i need to address. Is it worth getting a hydration belt? If so recommendations? Or just carry a bottle. Or what have people found good.
    Try not to carry a bottle. It isn't very practical on long runs. I wear a belt on longer runs, but start practicing now. Also a good idea to practice drinking from whatever containers will be used on race day ( cups, bottles etc). Other idea is to stash a bottle, or use your house/car and run loops on your long runs. Drink, drink and drink.

6. How necessary is a gps watch? My aim on current times is to complete the marathon in 5 hours. As it's my first, I'll be glad just to finish. I'm not super concerned with splits and the like so where do people come down on tracking this kind of stuff?

If you do not have a GPS Watch (and they have their uses) then just use www.mapmyrun.com, or something similar to figure out your mile splits which you can then keep an eye on whilst running with the use of an ordinary watch. Concentration can wander on longer runs try a pace band. I use a GPS watch but it is not essential.

7. Anyone got any tips for running with hayfever? I feel it may be slowing me down a bit but i dont know?

Sorry, an unknown for me.

8. Also, when running on roads so i be running with or against traffic?

Always against the traffic so you can see what is approaching you and take action if necessary.

Looking forward to see peoples replies.

Enjoy your running and hope the training delivers a good day for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think vaseline above the eyebrows as mentioned as a barrier re eyes and sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

The Irish runner 5 mile was brilliant I really enjoyed it, I was with a group from our local running club St Laurence O'Toole , so we went in to the 50 minute group right behind the pacer whom was a lovely guy, we set off at a nice pace and I felt comfortable to push on, I had no clue how I was doing as I got hubby to set my watch to miles and speed but it was not showing time so I gave up checking it and ran by how I felt :D The first mile or two were nice and steady I enjoyed chatting to other runners as I passed them and that what I did, picked someone in front of me caught up and slowly eased forward again, my Friend Ger caught up with me and we continued on, catching up and passing by, waving at little kids looking for high 5's which I obliged lol.

The weather was fantastic but so hot! I took full advantage of any water being handed out and drank a little and poured the rest all over my neck and my head. Which I think helped me a lot! I enjoyed the hilly Furry glen and was able to power up it and increased my speed, (I guess all that hill running has paid off) I really enjoyed the last mile I had my hubby for company he waited on me, so we gave it our all at the end, he told me to go on as he has a niggle which acts up every now and then. I was delighted I was able to finish strong which is what I wanted and my time was 48 minutes 20 seconds, I have no idea if its a good time but I am one very happy runner!

I will go back again next year very well organised!

The heat really got some poor runner's though, more than a few needed help from friends at the finish and one poor girl was throwing up when she managed to cross the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Irish Runner 5 Mile.

Had a pb of 44:31 from last year that I expected to beat. Plan was to go for 42 min pace. Had dreams of sub 40 mins but didnt think that was too realistic. Lined up in the 40-45 min wave after a short warm up jog. Couldn't get close to the pacer so settled at about half way.

Mile 1 08:15
    At the start everyone tore off and I was wondering if I had entered the wrong wave by mistake. Felt like everyone was leaving me behind. I was struggling from the off and my stomach was doing cartwheels. I was working hard to maintain the pace.

Mile 2 08:17
    More of the same. Stomach felt really bad. Effort was really high. I was trying to find some shade where ever I could but it was sparse. Coming back up Chesterfield ave just dragged and thoughts of stopping were creeping in.

Mile 3 08:26
    At the turn I found it hard to get going again. Pace was just dropping off. Got a shout out from my wife here but I just wanted to stop and walk. I knew if I had walked I wouldn't have started again. After the left turn at the roundabout and heading to the water stop I started to feel better. Stomach had settled. Took on some water and poured the rest over my head. A lot more shade here and I decided to take it easy and finish the race. I was still on for a pb.

Mile 4 08:40
    The shade and slower pace was helping. Plan now was get up the hill and see what I could do in the last mile. Effort didn't feel as hard and pace was ok. I was feeling good and just wanted the hill to come in case I felt bad again. No real problems heading up the hill.

Mile 5 07:36
    At the mile marker pace started to creep up. Just kept the head down and tried to maintain it. My watch had me at 08:00 when I checked it. At a KM to go I tried to raise it again but I had a little wobble and felt a little light headed. Recovered from that quickly and went again. I was hurting now and just wanted the end. Passed a few people and got over the line.

Found a patch of grass as quick as I could and had a lie down. Got up and got some water and bananas and sat again for a while.

Watch time of 41:11. Over a 3 min pb and ahead of target. Not sure how to feel after it. Happy with pb but wondering if I left some more out there. On the otherhand after 2 miles I was ready to go home.

On reflection standing in the heat for an extra 15 mins certainly didn't help. I'm putting the struggling to maintain effort levels and dodgy stomach down to that.

• Advertisement

Great TR Omeceron, super pb especially given the torment you suffered in the first half. Really tough conditions there this morn.

Advertisement