Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kmagic wrote: »
    Hi everybody. I've got some questions that maybe someone here might have experience with.
    3. Tips for keeping sweat out of my eyes?

5. Hydration on my long runs is starting to become something i need to address. Is it worth getting a hydration belt? If so recommendations? Or just carry a bottle. Or what have people found good.

6. How necessary is a gps watch? My aim on current times is to complete the marathon in 5 hours. As it's my first, I'll be glad just to finish. I'm not super concerned with splits and the like so where do people come down on tracking this kind of stuff?

8. Also, when running on roads so i be running with or against traffic?

Looking forward to see peoples replies.

Re sweat in eyes this is something that really irritates me so I've tried numerous solutions to find what works best for me.

Sweatbands/Caps , effective on the sweat but I tend to over hear in them.

Vaseline over eyebrows, works great on shorter distance runs , It wasn't as effective for me on the longer runs, suppose it wore off on the long runs

The best solution I found last year and still use is a product called the sweat gutr . It's a thin strip of plastic worn like a headband but it has a built in gutter over the eyes to drain the sweat away from your eyes. I wore mine today, sweated buckets but not a drop in my eyes. Its not that noticeable if street cred is a consideration either. It's one of my favorite pieces of kit

Here's a link to their website but I'm pretty sure i've seen clones on ebay.
    www.sweatgutr.com

Hydration belt would be a definite for me on the longer runs, 13 plus miles, again I tried a few , One with one large bottle which was a bit of a nuisance when full, in fact i think it cause me a slight injury rubbing against my hip during a long run last year. I picked up one with 4 small bottle then and it worked fine with the added advantage of allowing me carry different drinks , One with electrolytes and the others with plain water, I wasn't mad on the taste of the electrolyte drinks so having both available was nice . The bottles are small 250 ml each but you can always stop at a shop and refill on the long runs.

I also tried a carry bottle but it felt uncomfortable on the longer runs

GPS watch , I love mine , definitely useful but probably not absolutely necessary particularly if you have smart phone and carry it on runs, lost of apps can do similar and its handy enough to check data while running if running easy, They also talk stats to you but non of the novices will be wearing earphones anyway, right:D

If running on roads against the traffic , you can see whats coming so its safer than having traffic coming from behind, That said I'm very reluctant to run on roads but I know being from Dublin i have that option available to me. Use your head when planning routes , try pick the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Thanks for the replies so far guys. That sweatgutr looks ideal. Will look into it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

A bit of a disastrous week….

Monday – planned to do my long run, and progress beyond 10km with an 11.5km route I’d planned out, the first time I’d properly run on the streets, instead of my usual running around the green in circuits that I’d done previously. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and ended up doing just 10km again, at a slow 7:38 pace. Even though it was slow, it definitely didn’t feel like a “go all day” pace for me at the time. I also wore my new runners for the first time and game home with blisters. I guess they need breaking in, but it wasn’t fun :(

Tuesday – took a very leisurely 6.5km walk.

Wednesday – attempted the 11.5km route again so at least I’d make progression on the week. Did the full route, but ended up running only about 5km of it, and walking the rest. Overall pace of 8:47. There’s a few reasons I think that I failed here: (1) I probably shouldn’t have tried for a second long run in the week; (2) I was tired from a late night the previous night; (3) My muscles were tired – I’d had my first physio appointment earlier that day and he’d given me squats to do which really tired out the legs; (4) due to the late night the previous night and the physio appointment that morning, I headed out on this run later than I usually do, and it was very hot, and I was probably dehydrated, so lesson learned on that one for future (hopefully).

Thursday – would usually go for a walk, but muscles were still paining me. I considered a swim too, but ended up doing nothing, a complete rest day, which I felt I badly needed.

Friday – muscles were still sore, but marginally improved so that I figured I could do my planned short 5km run slowly. I did it, at a ridiculously slow 7:15 pace. But happy to have had a least one run in the week work out as planned.

Saturday – Parkrun, was very hot, but had learned from Wednesday and stayed hydrated. I’d feared getting a stitch from drinking water before running, but it didn’t happen, thankfully. Did it at a pace of 6:51 so pretty slow, but actually better than I thought, considering the week I’d had. Did my second set of squats for the week when I got home.

Sunday – day of rest.

I had considered the Irish Runner 5 Mile, but after Wednesday didn’t feel like I’d be able for it, and I’m glad I didn’t attend, as the heat seemed pretty bad and probably more than I could have handled.

Next week, I think I try and take things easy with a 10km and 3 x 5km including Parkrun. That should lead nicely in to the start of the HH plan proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Quickbeam don't think of it as a disastrous week; look at the four points that you made on your planned Wednesday run; that is four things that you have learned from this week.

If every run and every week was perfect none of us would learn anything and I include races in this......you always learn more from the bad ones than good ones.

Get back into your routine this week and in no time everything will be back to normal.

C

quickbeam wrote: »

Wednesday – attempted the 11.5km route again so at least I’d make progression on the week. Did the full route, but ended up running only about 5km of it, and walking the rest. Overall pace of 8:47. There’s a few reasons I think that I failed here: (1) I probably shouldn’t have tried for a second long run in the week; (2) I was tired from a late night the previous night; (3) My muscles were tired – I’d had my first physio appointment earlier that day and he’d given me squats to do which really tired out the legs; (4) due to the late night the previous night and the physio appointment that morning, I headed out on this run later than I usually do, and it was very hot, and I was probably dehydrated, so lesson learned on that one for future (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Re: Hydration on long runs.
    1. Go round the night before and stash 250ml bottles of water a couple of places along the route.
    2. Run a 4 or 5 mile loop and leave the water on top of your car. Variation: 8 or 10 mile figure of 8 loop - leave the water at the centre of the 8.
    3. I got a cheap running backpack from Lidl/ Aldi. Bought a camelbak bladder. Would wear on long runs or long run commutes.

Don't write off running loops for the long run. It can be very handy for things like the above and tricking yourself into finishing when you feel like dropping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I got my blood test results back at the beginning of the week, and am deficient in a couple of things that are easily rectified, so did all of my planned runs this week and they all went well, was feeling good. Belleek Woods in Ballina has some great running trails, lots of hills in them, and lots of different paths to cut through, to make different loops on longer runs.

All went well until Saturday morning, my own fault, I felt that I was breathing ok, so didn't bother with my inhaler before I started Park Run, but straight away, got the breathing difficulties I had been having. Lesson learnt for the future, although it may also have been due to the temperature, I really struggle in the heat. Stopped a couple of times for the dog to have a paddle and a drink as well, funny how I am now disappointed with a time that last year I would have been delighted with.

I have a couple of running buddies now, both faster than me, but they are going to run with me once a week, and I will do my best to keep up with them, or at least keep them in sight on our sessions. Am also changing my diet, or tweaking it at least, to make it sustainable; a bad habit I know, but one that we've always done in my family, is to have a cup of tea in the evening with something sweet, usually cake or biscuits. I still have the tea, but am now having fruit and yoghurt or dried fruit, the dehydrator has been brought back out of the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Monday – planned to do my long run, and progress beyond 10km with an 11.5km route I’d planned out, the first time I’d properly run on the streets, instead of my usual running around the green in circuits that I’d done previously. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and ended up doing just 10km again, at a slow 7:38 pace. Even though it was slow, it definitely didn’t feel like a “go all day” pace for me at the time. I also wore my new runners for the first time and game home with blisters. I guess they need breaking in, but it wasn’t fun

I'm no expert but 7.38/km strikes me as a touch on the fast side. Have you used one of the calculators to calculate your training paces?

A question on combining Saturday LSRs with Park Run. Do people tend to do the park run, then carry on running, pausing only to get their barcode scanned? Or run beforehand, and finish with the park run? If the latter, would it matter that you would be hanging around for a while waiting for the park run to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

muddypaws wrote: »
    I got my blood test results back at the beginning of the week, and am deficient in a couple of things that are easily rectified, so did all of my planned runs this week and they all went well, was feeling good. Belleek Woods in Ballina has some great running trails, lots of hills in them, and lots of different paths to cut through, to make different loops on longer runs.

All went well until Saturday morning, my own fault, I felt that I was breathing ok, so didn't bother with my inhaler before I started Park Run, but straight away, got the breathing difficulties I had been having. Lesson learnt for the future, although it may also have been due to the temperature, I really struggle in the heat. Stopped a couple of times for the dog to have a paddle and a drink as well, funny how I am now disappointed with a time that last year I would have been delighted with.

I have a couple of running buddies now, both faster than me, but they are going to run with me once a week, and I will do my best to keep up with them, or at least keep them in sight on our sessions. Am also changing my diet, or tweaking it at least, to make it sustainable; a bad habit I know, but one that we've always done in my family, is to have a cup of tea in the evening with something sweet, usually cake or biscuits. I still have the tea, but am now having fruit and yoghurt or dried fruit, the dehydrator has been brought back out of the press.
    Fair play, I think I'd give up running before I gave up tea and a biscuit.

I know, I do wonder sometimes who the hell I've become :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Well done Novices on the IR 5 miler, I did this one myself on Saturday and the conditions were indeed tough due to the heat, although there was a nice cool breeze at times for the first 4K.

Tricky little course towards the end with a few hills that caught some people out it seems as a few people started to walk once they reached the Upper Glen Road. Just a small reminder to maybe adjust projected finish times if the weather is a factor, something us Paddy's never do versus some of overseas runners in the DCM!

Loved that you could see the finish line from a distance out, kinda sucked you home for the last 700 meters.....a lot like the DCM in fact as you will all find out in a few months time......:D

Next up the Fingal 10K and the Frank Duffy!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I'm no expert but 7.38/km strikes me as a touch on the fast side. Have you used one of the calculators to calculate your training paces?

I wouldn't have thought so. It'd equate to nearly 5.5 hours in the marathon, even if I could keep that pace up for 42km, so not exactly fast, though it's a time I would be delighted to achieve. And I'm comparing it to the first time I did 10km (twice the week before) where I could do it far more comfortably in 7:27 and 7:17.

WW said not to rely on the calculators too much either.

Quickbeam don't think of it as a disastrous week; look at the four points that you made on your planned Wednesday run; that is four things that you have learned from this week.

If every run and every week was perfect none of us would learn anything and I include races in this......you always learn more from the bad ones than good ones.

Get back into your routine this week and in no time everything will be back to normal.

C

Thanks C. Still was a disaster, but definitely agree that it's a disaster that I can learn from. I already did by Saturday when I took better care of my hydration for the Parkrun, so live and learn and continue to run! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I run so I don't have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I wouldn't have thought so. It'd equate to nearly 5.5 hours in the marathon, even if I could keep that pace up for 42km, so not exactly fast, though it's a time I would be delighted to achieve. And I'm comparing it to the first time I did 10km (twice the week before) where I could do it far more comfortably in 7:27 and 7:17.

I'd agree with WW that the calculators aren't the most accurate for predicting a marathon time off of a current 5k time. I was suggesting you use a calculator to determine your training paces. AMK has already recommended doing this in post #519.

For what it's worth, for the most part, your LSRs are supposed to be run at a slower pace than your marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Was out yesterday bright & early to get my 8m LSR done before heading off to a hen party for the rest of the weekend. Am so glad I didn't leave it until I got back this afternoon, all I've been good for is a nap on the sofa. :o
    I was just finishing up as the Irish Runner 5 mile race folks were gathering. I kinda wished I was giving it a go! Such a glorious morning for it though, hope everyone was happy with their run!
    Kmagic wrote: »
    1. What clothing are people wearing? I know its a "how long is a piece of string" but what are people finding good? Any particular brands or items you swear by? Long sleeve vs tshirt vs singlet? Socks and shorts suggestions?

2. As a guy i get nipple chafing on longer runs. Maybe its a mix of factors but anyone have any tips to combat this?

3. Tips for keeping sweat out of my eyes?

4. Any good sunscreen people are using that isn't just falling apart with sweat?

5. Hydration on my long runs is starting to become something i need to address. Is it worth getting a hydration belt? If so recommendations? Or just carry a bottle. Or what have people found good.

6. How necessary is a gps watch? My aim on current times is to complete the marathon in 5 hours. As it's my first, I'll be glad just to finish. I'm not super concerned with splits and the like so where do people come down on tracking this kind of stuff?

7. Anyone got any tips for running with hayfever? I feel it may be slowing me down a bit but i dont know?

8. Also, when running on roads so i be running with or against traffic?

Looking forward to see peoples replies.

1. I don't have any specific brands I'd recommend, but as another poster said, avoid cotton. All my running gear is technical, smooth, slinky kind of fabric that dries very quickly. I've picked out my "marathon outfit" already and am wearing it on my LSRs to be sure it's going to be comfortable as the distances increase. I'm finding picking my socks a bit tricky as the seams at the toes are sometimes fine to begin and then get annoying after a few miles. Gonna try out a different pair next weekend.

2. I thankfully don't get nipple chafing - at least not yet - thanks to my trusty Freya industrial strength sports bra! :cool: But since you're possibly not going to go down this route, elsewhere I use Century Riding Cream. As the weeks go by, I keep discovering new patches that need cream! In later weeks, I will need it inside my arms, legs, around bra straps etc.

3. That sweat gutr thing looks like a great idea. I do find sweat in my eyes a pain, my sunglasses end up like a dripping windshield. :p I am glad that I have decent eyebrows though, not plucked away to nothing, to mostly direct the sweat off to the sides! No better suggestion from me than one of those open top visors though, I might invest in one for myself.

4. I wear P20 sunscreen. It's a single application one that lasts all day, even through swimming. You need to apply to clean skin (no moisturisers etc) so it can kind of stick, and then you're good to go. Once it's dried in, it doesn't sweat off; you have to wash it off.
    It doesn't suit my face, I get all red & patchy, so use a different facial sunscreen there, which really ends up all sweated off, but I guess my face is more used to the sun than other areas & I wear GIANT sunglasses as a half face-shield. That visor thing might help here too.

5. I used to have a Fuel Belt with (I think 4, maybe only 2?) small (10oz) bottles that were fairly easy to pop in & out. I had water in 1 (or 3?) and on the last marathon day, mixed a gel into the 4th. Wasn't that keen on the taste of the gel-water so good to be able to wash it down after with plain water. I've just had a look for my belt there and it's nowhere to be found, so might have to invest in a new one. It could be a bit warm around your waist, and it's another possible source of chafing, so might want anti-chafe cream around your waist too... At the marathon I took whatever water was handed out at the stops, but was very glad to have my own supply available throughout.

6. I bought a Garmin Forerunner (405 I think) years ago & have gotten such good use out of it. I'm a very slow runner, previous marathon in 2012 was 4:58, so we might be out there together this year! I don't really try to aim for times etc, just to keep going at a pace my legs & lungs can handle. But I do find my watch really handy just for knowing how far I've gone / left to do, and I've it set up to tell me my time at the end of each mile, just as an FYI, I don't really change much based on the time. I'd prefer to check my watch than have to get my phone out & I have very limited data on my phone plan so the watch costs nothing to track my run, after the initial investment!

7. I also get hayfever. At the moment, I'm taking Cetrine every day, sometimes I need two a day which the pharmacist has said is no harm for a short period of time. Other advice I've been given for hayfever is to wear sunglasses to keep the dust & pollen out of your eyes. Put a little ring of vaseline around your nostrils, keep the dirt out of there. I always carry a few ultrabalm tissues for my delicate nose. :p And sometimes I find that even if I wake up with a completely blocked head, exercise can magically help clear it. Maybe it's that my breathing is heavier or something, but I notice after a while that I'm breathing completely clear. Just gotta try to not claw my eyes out. I have Anthistin eye drops too, but not that handy to use while you run!

8. Definitely run against traffic. Much easier to take evasive action if you can see cars coming at you, and you could trip if you're looking over your shoulder the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

A question on combining Saturday LSRs with Park Run. Do people tend to do the park run, then carry on running, pausing only to get their barcode scanned? Or run beforehand, and finish with the park run? If the latter, would it matter that you would be hanging around for a while waiting for the park run to start?

I did it a few weeks ago, finished the LSR with parkrun. I tried to time it so that I arrived at the start at 9:30 but I was a little early. I just ran the warm up area up and down four or five times then joined the back of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Monday – planned to do my long run, and progress beyond 10km with an 11.5km route I’d planned out, the first time I’d properly run on the streets, instead of my usual running around the green in circuits that I’d done previously. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and ended up doing just 10km again, at a slow 7:38 pace. Even though it was slow, it definitely didn’t feel like a “go all day” pace for me at the time. I also wore my new runners for the first time and game home with blisters. I guess they need breaking in, but it wasn’t fun :(

Tuesday – took a very leisurely 6.5km walk.

Thursday – would usually go for a walk, but muscles were still paining me. I considered a swim too, but ended up doing nothing, a complete rest day, which I felt I badly needed.

Friday – muscles were still sore, but marginally improved so that I figured I could do my planned short 5km run slowly. I did it, at a ridiculously slow 7:15 pace. But happy to have had a least one run in the week work out as planned.

Saturday – Parkrun, was very hot, but had learned from Wednesday and stayed hydrated. I’d feared getting a stitch from drinking water before running, but it didn’t happen, thankfully. Did it at a pace of 6:51 so pretty slow, but actually better than I thought, considering the week I’d had. Did my second set of squats for the week when I got home.

Sunday – day of rest.

I had considered the Irish Runner 5 Mile, but after Wednesday didn’t feel like I’d be able for it, and I’m glad I didn’t attend, as the heat seemed pretty bad and probably more than I could have handled.

Next week, I think I try and take things easy with a 10km and 3 x 5km including Parkrun. That should lead nicely in to the start of the HH plan proper.

Tired/sore muscles are normal as training intensity increases in fact the plan is designed to have you running on tired muscles.

That's a decent week . Take tge long slow run as easy as you like you can't run these too slow. You'll know yourself how the pace is . Try the conversational pace test you used during your couch 2 5 k program to ensure you are running easy if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I think you are taking what WW said the wrong way, he meant that for many, the calculators are too optimistic. If you have to stop and walk, you are most certainly running too fast. The mileage is starting to build now so your pace will initially get slower as you will be tired from running more. When you have to stop mid run, that is your body talking to you and saying I can't keep this going which means it's too tired from running too fast. I can tell from your posts and consant use of the word slow that you are worrying about this which in turn probably means you are pushing it too hard to compensate for that.

Right now, you don't need to worry about going slow, your current issues are in covering the distance. Here's a little goal for your next run. Forget about the pace, leave the garmin at home and go as slow as you need to to cover the distance without feeling under real pressure effort wise. Even if it feels stupid slow, think just about covering the distance without killing yourself so you will have enough energy for the next run too, conserve yourself for the next run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

-The week gone by Monday (fitness class) Tuesday - Club Training session - Wednesday 2.3 miles, Thursday -club training session, Friday 2 miles.12.5 miles today.

Hope to do a 5 mile race week after next just to aid 'motivation'. Happy to have dome 5 days training even if 2 days the mileage was 'the minimum', it's the principle and a start :)

Hard to estimate how many miles a club session would cover, between warm ups, warm downs and actual 'intervals' or 'sprints', maybe 5-6 miles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

leesider77 wrote: »
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm almost afraid to say it out loud but I think I'm in - well I went ahead and registered for the marathon and signed up for the full race series.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I wanted to see how I came through the pre-training especially the mid week 3 days in a row before committing and so far so good. Looking forward to my longer run in the sunshine tomorrow morning so this is a good sign.[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I wont break any speed records so hopefully there will be a few more here in the same category.[/font]

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k PB - 28:50 min (May 2016)
    10k PB - 58:40 ( Oct 2016)
    Half Marathon - 2:16 (Nov 2016) - had hoped to do better on the day but fingers crossed I can improve it this summer.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No but might introduce some for the longer training runs over 21km

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Had to take a break from running the past few months for a non running related injury. So just getting back into to again the past few weeks. Repeating week one of the HH marathon plan ( 3 * 5 km and 1 longer run) plan to ease myself back into it again. [/font]

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    My aim is just to finish it. But would love to see a 4 on the clock ( 4:59:59)

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Im going to follow the HH marathon plan and will add some strength classes and a yoga class each week as well.

Why are you running this marathon?
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the sense of achievement. Been a busy few years with kids/work and want to do something for myself. [/font]

Welcome aboard leesider77, you're in so!

Glad the training is going well so far. Do not worry about speed records etc here; we're all in the same boat, and it's really only about what you can do.
    Once you've done as well as you can and achieved what you set out to do, those are most important. Comparing yourself to one novice or another doesn't really serve much of a purpose.
    All that aside, I'd be confident that you can improve that half marathon PB at least, and run strongly on the big day. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Baby75 wrote: »
    The Irish runner 5 mile was brilliant I really enjoyed it, I was with a group from our local running club St Laurence O'Toole , so we went in to the 50 minute group right behind the pacer whom was a lovely guy, we set off at a nice pace and I felt comfortable to push on, I had no clue how I was doing as I got hubby to set my watch to miles and speed but it was not showing time so I gave up checking it and ran by how I felt :D The first mile or two were nice and steady I enjoyed chatting to other runners as I passed them and that what I did, picked someone in front of me caught up and slowly eased forward again, my Friend Ger caught up with me and we continued on, catching up and passing by, waving at little kids looking for high 5's which I obliged lol.

The weather was fantastic but so hot! I took full advantage of any water being handed out and drank a little and poured the rest all over my neck and my head. Which I think helped me a lot! I enjoyed the hilly Furry glen and was able to power up it and increased my speed, (I guess all that hill running has paid off) I really enjoyed the last mile I had my hubby for company he waited on me, so we gave it our all at the end, he told me to go on as he has a niggle which acts up every now and then. I was delighted I was able to finish strong which is what I wanted and my time was 48 minutes 20 seconds, I have no idea if its a good time but I am one very happy runner!

I will go back again next year very well organised!

The heat really got some poor runner's though, more than a few needed help from friends at the finish and one poor girl was throwing up when she managed to cross the line.

Well done Baby75, great run and report :D Running in the heat was very difficult for pretty much everyone this weekend. Excellent pacing from you, keeping it nice and steady and building towards a strong finish. Of course it's a good time!

Omeceron wrote: »
    Irish Runner 5 Mile.

Had a pb of 44:31 from last year that I expected to beat. Plan was to go for 42 min pace. Had dreams of sub 40 mins but didnt think that was too realistic. Lined up in the 40-45 min wave after a short warm up jog. Couldn't get close to the pacer so settled at about half way.

Mile 1 08:15
    At the start everyone tore off and I was wondering if I had entered the wrong wave by mistake. Felt like everyone was leaving me behind. I was struggling from the off and my stomach was doing cartwheels. I was working hard to maintain the pace.

Mile 2 08:17
    More of the same. Stomach felt really bad. Effort was really high. I was trying to find some shade where ever I could but it was sparse. Coming back up Chesterfield ave just dragged and thoughts of stopping were creeping in.

Mile 3 08:26
    At the turn I found it hard to get going again. Pace was just dropping off. Got a shout out from my wife here but I just wanted to stop and walk. I knew if I had walked I wouldn't have started again. After the left turn at the roundabout and heading to the water stop I started to feel better. Stomach had settled. Took on some water and poured the rest over my head. A lot more shade here and I decided to take it easy and finish the race. I was still on for a pb.

Mile 4 08:40
    The shade and slower pace was helping. Plan now was get up the hill and see what I could do in the last mile. Effort didn't feel as hard and pace was ok. I was feeling good and just wanted the hill to come in case I felt bad again. No real problems heading up the hill.

Mile 5 07:36
    At the mile marker pace started to creep up. Just kept the head down and tried to maintain it. My watch had me at 08:00 when I checked it. At a KM to go I tried to raise it again but I had a little wobble and felt a little light headed. Recovered from that quickly and went again. I was hurting now and just wanted the end. Passed a few people and got over the line.

Found a patch of grass as quick as I could and had a lie down. Got up and got some water and bananas and sat again for a while.

Watch time of 41:11. Over a 3 min pb and ahead of target. Not sure how to feel after it. Happy with pb but wondering if I left some more out there. On the otherhand after 2 miles I was ready to go home.

On reflection standing in the heat for an extra 15 mins certainly didn't help. I'm putting the struggling to maintain effort levels and dodgy stomach down to that.

Well done Omeceron! A 3 minute PB for 5 miles is some achievement, especially in that heat. Slowing down a bit seems to have had a major benefit on your race overall.

On the otherhand after 2 miles I was ready to go home.

But you didn't :) fair play on ignoring the dreaded DNF demons!

Lazare wrote: »
    I did it a few weeks ago, finished the LSR with parkrun. I tried to time it so that I arrived at the start at 9:30 but I was a little early. I just ran the warm up area up and down four or five times then joined the back of the bunch.

+1 to this. Like I might have mentioned way back in the 40+ pages of the thread, it was one of the best things I did, particularly as the LSRs were getting longer. And if you miss the start by a minute or two, who cares? You're not chasing a time anyway (or at least, I hope not) :pac:

Good news muddypaws, keep it nice and easy on the recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

It was unreasonably warm this morning for my run. Got it done ok and treated myself to a massive come after, but I wouldn't envy anyone who did a race this weekend.

El Caballo wrote: »
    I think you are taking what WW said the wrong way, he meant that for many, the calculators are too optimistic. If you have to stop and walk, you are most certainly running too fast. The mileage is starting to build now so your pace will initially get slower as you will be tired from running more. When you have to stop mid run, that is your body talking to you and saying I can't keep this going which means it's too tired from running too fast. I can tell from your posts and consant use of the word slow that you are worrying about this which in turn probably means you are pushing it too hard to compensate for that.

Right now, you don't need to worry about going slow, your current issues are in covering the distance. Here's a little goal for your next run. Forget about the pace, leave the garmin at home and go as slow as you need to to cover the distance without feeling under real pressure effort wise. Even if it feels stupid slow, think just about covering the distance without killing yourself so you will have enough energy for the next run too, conserve yourself for the next run.

+10,000 to the above. If you're think you're running slow, in particular on your LSRs, run slower. It may sound silly, but it's tried and tested for marathon novices worldwide, not just here :D

Spirogyra wrote: »
    -The week gone by Monday (fitness class) Tuesday - Club Training session - Wednesday 2.3 miles, Thursday -club training session, Friday 2 miles.12.5 miles today.

Hope to do a 5 mile race week after next just to aid 'motivation'. Happy to have dome 5 days training even if 2 days the mileage was 'the minimum', it's the principle and a start :)

Hard to estimate how many miles a club session would cover, between warm ups, warm downs and actual 'intervals' or 'sprints', maybe 5-6 miles....

Good mileage there Spirogyra, any idea of times or pace?

19 Weeks To Go - ONE WEEK To Start Of Plans

Evening all!!

Some fantastic work being done by you this week. Outstanding performances in the Irish Runner 5 Mile, in extremely hot and challenging conditions which affected even the top runners. Even having a pre-plan phase seems to be working for you in terms of PBs etc.

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep the pace slow on your long runs. Not just me saying it either :D Trust me, you'll get the benefits on race day.

Hopefully you've all decided on a plan to follow over the coming months. Time to nail your colours to the mast, if you haven't already. Without any clear structure to your training, you'll more than likely have to scale back your current expectations to something more realistic. Within each week, your runs, rest days etc can be switched around to suit, but your long runs (and sessions if following the Boards plan) are the most important each week.

Thanks again to the guest contributors, some brilliant posts, especially when I haven't had as much time to contribute.

Anyone feeling nervous yet? Don't worry, that's not a bad thing :D

If any more of you have progress reports, let's have a gander when you get a chance :) Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Monday: 3.4m @ 8.41
    Tuesday: 5m @ 8.04
    Wednesday: 3.7m @ 8.50
    Saturday: 8m @ 8.10

Saturday run was ultimately very bad in terms of pace . Planned much slower. After the phone gave me the pace for mile 1 I tried to slow down but after the second, pace was the same. Same happened for mile 3 and 4. Must be speeding up without realising. After mile 4 I just decided to run the rest at the same pace rather than slowing. Tired enough last 2 miles.
    Knee was bunched after I'd stopped and could hardly walk all Saturday (though much better today). Off to a physio tomorrow

Advertisement