Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Baby75, great run and report :D Running in the heat was very difficult for pretty much everyone this weekend. Excellent pacing from you, keeping it nice and steady and building towards a strong finish. Of course it's a good time!

Thanks Wubble wubble I am going to use the same approach next week in Waterford at the 1/4 Marathon if the weather is more in our favour I can up my game a little. :D
    I think I am still on a high today, really wanted to get out and run again today but in my dad's with my sisters and then my younger sister wants to run so we got out and did run 1 of the C25K and I am supper proud she did very well

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi All

Just popping in to say massive congrats to all who did the 5 miler. Sounds like some super runs in really on a really hot weekend. I have no doubt it was a great confidence boost to have a race under the belt this early in training. I hope everyone else's training is going well.

So far this week for me 4 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles, 6 miles, 3 miles.

On tonight's run this quote was the one thing that really got me through...
    Commitment is doing what you said you would do, long after the mood you said it in has left you.

Although it was only 3 miles, I was exhausted after a very busy weekend, busy work week, had been up until 2 am last night as we had people over having beers and then was up with the kids at 5:30 am this morning and it was only after the kids were in bed tonight that I had time to go out and run. It was the LAST thing I felt like doing as beers and kids don't mix! All I wanted to do was sit on the sofa and chill.

It wasn't the distance, it was the effort to get the gear on and get out the door. However, that quote was ringing in my ears and I am so glad I continued my streak of not dropping a session in my plan yet. I ended feeling so much better after the run and as always after the run was done I never regretted going out. So just thought I'd share the quote here as maybe it will help someone else get out the door when they really don't feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

wow - what a weekend of running, just an amazing amount of races on and the weather was fantastic.

Well done to all those who ran in any event over the last few days - the heat would have been a factor in them all - so dont worry if your times are a bit slower.

To address a couple of q's that I seen in the last few pages:

(1) Parkrun & long run combo: Its always better to do a Parkrun at the end (or near the end) of a long run. It simulates running fast on tired legs - like the last 10k of a marathon (and also gives you an excuse for a bad time :) )

(2) "The Bad Week" - I can guarantee that there will be plenty of posters looking at the post regarding the bad weeks training with envy.
    If you feel that you are having a bad weeks training and can identify it midweek - take a day or 2 off - REALLY - it will do you the world of good.

People feel that 'more' training is the way to improve, but its really a combination of the training you do coupled with the recovery you take so your body can adapt to the training. This is the key part. If you are over tired your body wont adapt.

BTW - your bad week wasn't so bad overall - it was quite active.

(3) Should I join a club?
    Short answer is yes.

Long answer: Think of your goals over the coming few years and join a club that can help with them Goals. If you join a club wanting to do marathon training, but the club is very small with only a handful of marathon runners, then this might not be for you.
    If you are a lady, then this becomes a more difficult decision as the number of marathon runners per club varies greatly.

So - choose wisely - every club lets you train with them for a while before choosing to join them - exercise this right - join the right club.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

It's been great reading through everyone's reports on the Irish Runner's 5 mile, and training over the last week. Well done everyone :)

Really enjoyed my 11 mile lsr yesterday in the sunshine after making it through what I found to be a difficult weeks training:
    Mon - Crossfit
    Tues - Crossfit  and 5 miles easy at 10:58/mile
    Wed - 1 mile w/u, 6 miles pace, 1 mile c/d at 10:19/mile
    Thurs - 5 miles easy at 11:16/mile
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 1 mile w/u, 3 miles pace, 1 mile c/d at 10:23/mile
    Sun - 11 miles easy at 11:11/mile
    Crossfit on Monday was a nice session working on squat cleans, followed by a squat clean/wall ball workout, which I really enjoyed at the time but when I woke up on Tues morning realized that my quads and hamstrings were sore from all the squatting!! I think this really impacted my mid-week runs, as my legs felt very heavy on Tues evening, couldn't have ran faster if you had asked me. Found the pace run on wed particularly difficult, but pushed through it, and same again on Thurs, with a very slow 5 miles that I really had to battle to stay running. A much needed rest day on Friday set me right and I finished off the week with two enjoyable runs over the weekend.

Tried out fuelling with jelly babies during the lsr yesterday and found them great, so much more enjoyable than a gel, although I don't how I'd manage to eat them during a race as I had to stop and walk while I had my little snack. Two weeks to go to the Clontarf half now, and looking forward to it. Next week on my lsr I think I'll try making my own homemade sports drink and see how that sits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Posted more detail on my log but this week went more or less to plan :)

Monday - 5k easy
    Tuesday - 5k race (definitely not easy :pac:)
    Wed - Rest
    Thursday - 5k easy
    Friday - 1.5 hr yoga class
    Saturday - 15k LSR
    Sunday - 5k fast walk for recovery/x-training

Total: 30km/18.5 miles (not including the walk :pac:)

Excited about starting the plan for real no, but still a little overwhelmed at the thought of it. I was thinking during my LSR on Saturday that 15k really is a long run for me and yet i have to double it in the next 3-4 months and almost treble in on D-DAY :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Great reading and advice , hopefully I can post here and gain some knowledge and advice in build up to DCM.
    My own story is I ran a marathon in 2007 off not much training and ran 3:55 ish ( can't remember exactly just happy to be under the 4 hours at the time) .

Between 2007 - 2015 I did little or no regular running. I started running consistently 3 days a week from about mid 2016 and have kept it up till now so I am as fit as I have ever been. So I took the plunge and signed up for Dublin, exactly 10 years after my one and only marathon I'm hoping to break 3:20.

Currently I cycle about 100k a week (mostly commuting , some weeks I do a longer ride and do about 200k for week). I've found a sub 3.15 plan online which I like the look of , only problem is it is a 12 week plan so I'll probably try a few test weeks of the plan see how it works out between no and actual start of plan, I don't plan to increase long run just yet.

Start of May I got up to 40k a week since June I've been running 50k a week.
    Last weeks training

Monday 10k easy-tempo 4.45 pace
    Tuesday 13k trail run lots of climbing tough 5.19 pace
    Wednesday bike 30k commute
    Thursday bike 30k commute
    Friday bike 70k commute and hill repeats on bike
    Saturday 22k run easy (ran to parkrun ran 22mins as part of it ) 5:11 pace + long bike ride later in day
    Sunday 8k run easy 5.10 pace

The new plan I am starting this week and like the look of is a sub 3.15 plan, its basically Monday 6.5k easy ,Tuesday a bit of interval work , wednesday starts at 8k easy and builds up , Thursday more intervals , Friday rest , Saturday long run and Sunday Rest or Recovery. I'll post up my training weekly, any comments criticisms welcome.

My Pb's are 5k 18.45 and 10k 40.20 (both from this calendar year)
    McMillan guesstimates 3:02 and 3:09 based on those times , I really don't read much into them estimates. Sub 3.20 is the goal with sub 3.15 been the dream!

Thanks and good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

So last week of pre-training - getting used to my new schedule to fit in the runs.
    Tues - 3.65miles @ 10:05
    Wednesday - 3.1miles @ 10.42
    Thurs - 2.9 miles @ 10:24
    Saturday - 5.1miles @ 10:40

Have a few questions:
    I travel with work mid week approx once a month long haul - not really a destination that I can get out and run ( very hot and wouldn't feel comfortable running on my own at night or very early morning) - will I just do my regular runs on a threadmill or adapt my program in some way?
    Any other tips for combining running and traveling?

Also just found out that I have a wedding the Friday before my planned Saturday 20 miles Run. Given past experience ( i.e. alcohol will be consumed in vast quantities) I don't think I'll be ready for tackling it on Sunday. I'd say this will be a 4 hr plus run for me. Do you think I'd be mad doing it in the morning of the wedding? Would I be wrecked afterwards? Or fitting it in mid week - would be an evening run and after a busy day at work. Any advice appreciated.

leesider77 wrote: »
    So last week of pre-training - getting used to my new schedule to fit in the runs.
    Tues - 3.65miles @ 10:05
    Wednesday - 3.1miles @ 10.42
    Thurs - 2.9 miles @ 10:24
    Saturday - 5.1miles @ 10:40

Have a few questions:
    I travel with work mid week approx once a month long haul - not really a destination that I can get out and run ( very hot and wouldn't feel comfortable running on my own at night or very early morning) - will I just do my regular runs on a threadmill or adapt my program in some way?
    Any other tips for combining running and traveling?

Also just found out that I have a wedding the Friday before my planned Saturday 20 miles Run. Given past experience ( i.e. alcohol will be consumed in vast quantities) I don't think I'll be ready for tackling it on Sunday. I'd say this will be a 4 hr plus run for me. Do you think I'd be mad doing it in the morning of the wedding? Would I be wrecked afterwards? Or fitting it in mid week - would be an evening run and after a busy day at work. Any advice appreciated.

my 2c worth.

* Treadmill runs are fine while travelling - I've done some myself - terribly boring though. vary the incline now and then.

Tips for running while travelling: Dont run on the plane :)

* Regarding the wedding - the long run is the key run for you. Rejig the schedule and do it midweek. Dont do it on the morning of the wedding - itll ruin the day for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've also got a wedding to attend, at the start of October.
    I seem to have plenty of leave left this year, so I'm considering taking the day before the wedding off and doing the 18 mile LSR that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

After lurking for the last couple of weeks, after initially being intrigued by the idea of the half marathon I think im going to go for it, and sign up for the full.

Id like to say ive a decent level of fitness, in the last 2 months ive started running more, before that id go out every now and again. Averaging about 4:30 per km pace on my runs at the minute, I know that I need to severely slow that down for LSRs, id actually love advice on how to slow down because I find it hard!

It looks like the HH plan is going to be the one for me, never ran anything like this before so it looks like the better one for me.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Only ever done one 'race' if this even falls into that category, the Dublin Staff Relay last month.
    5k - 21:38
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Nope!
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Ive started to do 3-4 days a week, with the weekend being slightly longer.
    5k x 3 times a week, and one slightly longer on the weekend.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Honestly, id just love to complete it, but I like to beat myself up if I feel like I could have done faster etc, would absolutely love to finish around 4:30.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Fairly flexible schedule, work flexi in work but no commute to/from and generally loads of free time. Im going to go with HH.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I said about 2-3 years ago that id love to run a marathon and fundraise some money for Temple Street. I was born very sick and spent probably the first year in and out for various things, and wouldnt be where I am today if it wasnt for them. So id love to give back something to them, even if it will only be something small id like to think it could help someone like they did when I was younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've been looking through the training plans, and working out where I can do the races that are part of them, as I live in Sligo and don't want to go to Dublin to race all the time.

Ballina Athletic Club have a ten miler on the same weekend as the FD 10 miler, for anyone in the West that fancies it. http://www.runireland.com/events/ballina-ac-wild-atlantic-10-miler

There is also a half marathon in Clew Bay on the same day as the DC half. http://www.runireland.com/events/clew-bay-half-marathon-10k-louisburgh-county-mayo-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

muddypaws wrote: »
    I've been looking through the training plans, and working out where I can do the races that are part of them, as I live in Sligo and don't want to go to Dublin to race all the time.

Ballina Athletic Club have a ten miler on the same weekend as the FD 10 miler, for anyone in the West that fancies it. http://www.runireland.com/events/ballina-ac-wild-atlantic-10-miler

There is also a half marathon in Clew Bay on the same day as the DC half. http://www.runireland.com/events/clew-bay-half-marathon-10k-louisburgh-county-mayo-ireland

I'm planning on doing that 10 miler in Ballina as well but unfortunately the half in Louisburg doesn't suit me as my husband will be away.

There are a couple of other half options in the West, Sept 9th (Clarenbridge) but this may be too soon 2 weeks after the 10 miler :confused: and October 7th (Run Galway Bay) but this may be too close to DCM :confused: I would like to get a half in even if it's just to help nail down a time to target. Advice welcome :)

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing that 10 miler in Ballina as well but unfortunately the half in Louisburg doesn't suit me as my husband will be away.

There are a couple of other half options in the West, Sept 9th (Clarenbridge) but this may be too soon 2 weeks after the 10 miler :confused: and October 7th (Run Galway Bay) but this may be too close to DCM :confused: I would like to get a half in even if it's just to help nail down a time to target. Advice welcome :)

I'd agree that the race on the 7th is too close to DCM to race it.
    There was a debate on a different thread previously about the race series HM being too close to race it too.

The downside of racing these is the impact it has on your training as you taper for them and then recover.

The benefits that you get is that they are 'monster sessions' , they give you confidence that your training is progressing and the race itself adds a real stimulus to the system and brings you on loads.
    So its a personal choice on how you approach them.

As an example of my own plans:
    I plan on running 3-4 races in the run up to DCM - the 10m / HM and a 3/4 Mara.

However - I will do most of them at Marathon pace / or a tempo session and not race them - this is a great way of getting race practice (gear / hydration / fueling / breakfast etc) and also a way of helping with race day anxiety.
    Its also a good workout.
    I'll do 6-7 miles before hand and run them at MP - pushing the last mile.

This is also an option for you if the race is too near DCM.

I think the boards plan takes these races into account and the intent is for the novice group is to race them. (not the one on 7th Oct :) )

Yevon wrote: »
    Did a fast 5k tonight. 24:06. Hamstrings extremely tight. Very frustrated it's been bothering me for a long time now and i've been to a physio and been trying to do strength training with zero results. Going to try and up the volume this week so will hopefully get out 4/5 times and see if it will make a difference...

If you are going to up the volume - be careful not to do it too much.
    General guideline is 10% per week.

Also if you are increasing volume - decrease the pace until the body can cope with the extra volume.

my 2c worth.

* Treadmill runs are fine while travelling - I've done some myself - terribly boring though. vary the incline now and then.

Tips for running while travelling: Dont run on the plane :)

* Regarding the wedding - the long run is the key run for you. Rejig the schedule and do it midweek. Dont do it on the morning of the wedding - itll ruin the day for you.

Thanks a lot for the advice - especially about not running on the plane ;-)
    I thought about speed on the threadmill but not incline which seems really obvious now. And yes, they are terribly boring. Will need to get an audio book or something.

I've also got a wedding to attend, at the start of October.
    I seem to have plenty of leave left this year, so I'm considering taking the day before the wedding off and doing the 18 mile LSR that day.

Yes, think this will be best as well - or maybe finish up early one of the days so Im not running until midnight :-)

Kmagic wrote: »

1. What clothing are people wearing? I know its a "how long is a piece of string" but what are people finding good? Any particular brands or items you swear by? Long sleeve vs tshirt vs singlet? Socks and shorts suggestions?

I'm no expert but start to look for what you will wear on the day - out of all the kit I have and I have a lot, I still go back to the same 4 year old kit for race days as its most comfortable.
    Also its a good time to buy as elverys and lifestyle have stuff on sale at the moment.

For water, I also have the lidl backpack and it is surprisingly comfortable. I got a cheap running belt on amazon too that holds one small bottle and my phone/keys for medium distance runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

For those of you getting organised with your running clothes, remember to use your parkrun barcode in Elverys to get some money off full price items, not sure what % discount.

Kmagic wrote: »

I have some other stuff to ask too.

1. What clothing are people wearing? I know its a "how long is a piece of string" but what are people finding good? Any particular brands or items you swear by? Long sleeve vs tshirt vs singlet? Socks and shorts suggestions?

Just a note on this.

Its tempting to buy expensive running clothes, runners etc as you may think they are better.

My goto shorts cost me €6 each in Pennys. (back zip pocket)
    My goto long sleeve running top (for colder days) I bought in Dunnes Stores.
    My goto short sleeve running tops I bought in H&M.
    My Runners I buy online for typically €50-€80.

I know lots of people buy Kayanos for a million quid (or something) - but I do think that these, while comfortable, are over spec'd for a novice runner who typically does low'ish mileage.

make sure you get your gait checked at a running store - even buy your 1st pair there if you feel 'guilty' about walking out without buying - but then look online for the same model going fwd.

If a shop assistant offers you Kayanos (they are the most expensive shoe in most shops) ask if there are alternatives that give the same stability / cushioning - or research online for good runners.
    This is a good site for research: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

make sure you get your gait checked at a running store

Or alternatively, dismiss gait-analysis as a load of old b*llocks that most shops don't know how to administer properly anyway, and go to a proper running shop that allows you to try on loads of pairs and run up and down outside in them, and pick the ones that 'feel' best.

• Advertisement

davedanon wrote: »
    Or alternatively, dismiss gait-analysis as a load of old b*llocks that most shops don't know how to administer properly anyway, and go to a proper running shop that allows you to try on loads of pairs and run up and down outside in them, and pick the ones that 'feel' best.

I was being nice :)

but you are quite correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hi there, 50 years of age. Started running early 2015 on couch to 5k app. Got as far as half marathon that year before injury on the day ended my year. Didn't run at all in 2016. Started back in March this year. Getting out 4/5 runs a week of which one is a lsr (15k last one) and the rest are between 5 and 10k.

5k: 22.51 - Last 5k of Irish Runner 5 mile last weekend.

5 Mile: 37.17 - Irish Runner 5 2017

10k: 50.50 - Last 10k of DCHM 2015

10 Mile: 1.22.13 - Frank Duffy 2015

Half: 1.48.43 - DCHM 2015

Targeting 4 hours as a realistic ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

For anyone still sitting on the fence and thinking about signing up for DCM 2017 it sounds like 15,000 have signed up already and they are predicting that the entry will be maxed out by mid July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

leesider77 wrote: »

I had only had one 20 mile training run to cover in the HHN1 plan last year. We did a mini-meet up in the Phoenix park (two others were 18 miles - boards plan, I think). iirc, the longest run prior to that in the plan was 16 miles, so it was a decent step up. I was fine to drive afterwards, though obviously had never run that far before! Looking back at Garmin, it was about ~ 3 hours 40, at 10:59 min/mi. Early October and mostly overcast. Good luck with the scheduling.

I used Spotify while running tonight for the first time. It told me to start running while it worked out my pace and chose songs of the right tempo. Off I went. The first song it chose was We Stand Still by Ultravox!

Delighted I did my three miles though, without a dog which feels very strange and it was warm but I did the three - obviously very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

On walking duty this week (at least) thanks to physios orders. serious knock back already. Not a happy camper

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    On walking duty this week (at least) thanks to physios orders. serious knock back already. Not a happy camper

Sorry to hear this - but better to have it sorted now than to deal with it closer to the marathon.

I had only had one 20 mile training run to cover in the HHN1 plan last year. We did a mini-meet up in the Phoenix park (two others were 18 miles - boards plan, I think). iirc, the longest run prior to that in the plan was 16 miles, so it was a decent step up. I was fine to drive afterwards, though obviously had never run that far before! Looking back at Garmin, it was about ~ 3 hours 40, at 10:59 min/mi. Early October and mostly overcast. Good luck with the scheduling.

Thanks a lot - great to have reference point for the time as that's about my LSR pace. Do you mind me asking what was your marathon time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

muddypaws wrote: »
    I used Spotify while running tonight for the first time. It told me to start running while it worked out my pace and chose songs of the right tempo. Off I went. The first song it chose was We Stand Still by Ultravox!

Delighted I did my three miles though, without a dog which feels very strange and it was warm but I did the three - obviously very slowly.
    How do you get Spotify to do that?

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    How do you get Spotify to do that?

Browse, searched for running then chose evening run playlist and it came up. It does it with the other running playlists as well.

Advertisement