Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

muddypaws wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's a fairly common way to do it. It might be good practice for you not to start the DCM too fast as well? By that stage you'll be used to sticking to a plan and not letting the excitement get to you. Speed isn't an issue for me, I am a plodder

Thanks muddypaws! I'll give it a go :D

Good luck again all

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

I'm hoping to finish in 4:30 roughly. I'm going with the HH plan. I haven't really been running at any particular pace so far. Some days I'll run a little harder, sometimes easier for no particular reason. I'm hoping to take a bit more control as the official plans start but I'm finding it hard to figure out what pace I should be running. I've a couple of questions:
    1) What should the difference be between the midweek runs and the LSRs at the weekend?
    2) Any rough guidelines for the paces I should be running?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Looking at the other thread on strengths and weaknesses I am a little worried about my estimated time. People don't seem to run close to McMillan estimates based on there 5 and 10k times. How do people generally pick a pace that they are going to run ? Is it best to wait till after half marathon to pick an estimated time? My 5k time of 18.45 estimates a 10k time of 38.56 and I am not even close to that with a pb of 40.20. Maybe I am overthinking it but I would love to go with 3.20 pacers but concerned now based on how others have fared that that may be too quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Looking at the other thread on strengths and weaknesses I am a little worried about my estimated time. People don't seem to run close to McMillan estimates based on there 5 and 10k times. How do people generally pick a pace that they are going to run ? Is it best to wait till after half marathon to pick an estimated time? My 5k time of 18.45 estimates a 10k time of 38.56 and I am not even close to that with a pb of 40.20. Maybe I am overthinking it but I would love to go with 3.20 pacers but concerned now based on how others have fared that that may be too quick.

Train to your current fitness levels not your target time. As you get closer to your target you will get a better feeling for whats achievable.

You never start a marathon plan at peak fitness, this is something people tend to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I haven't been posting much (I try sometimes on my phone, but it never posts :( ) but I have been reading! I'm quite excited now to think the official training has begun! Thread is already up to 50 pages before we even began! :D

Did a 9m LSR on Sunday afternoon. Was pretty worn out for the rest of the afternoon & slept like a log last night! This Saturday I'm stepping back to 6m again and going to work my way back up. Going to a wedding that afternoon so hopefully I'm not asleep under the dinner table by 9pm!

Both this weekend (9m) and last weekend (8m) I noticed that I got a weird strain-type feeling in my left heel after about 5m. I run 5m to work 3 times a week and have only been going beyond that in my LSRs for the last 2 months or so. My runners are fairly new (maybe bought in Feb or Mar) and I had gait analysis done to choose them. Any idea what might cause this? Weird heel striking or something? I'm running mostly on tarmac, sometimes I try a bit of short grass. It's not very painful, but I can imagine if I had to run another 16m with it, I'd end up altering my run to compensate and cause some other problems. My foot was grand once I stopped running again and has been fine today. :confused:

A few days ago, someone was posting about alternative runs to the DCM series. This website lists runs all over the country, by county and distance. Might be useful to find a race closer to home that the DCM series. :)
    https://gorun.ie/

Another poster mentioned that they were dreading their LSRs! I used to too, but have started listening to podcasts while I run to keep me company. I'm listening to RadioLab at the moment and loving it. It's about science but keeps it light and interesting and suitable for the general public (that seems to be the aim, bringing science understanding to a wider audience). Some of it goes in one ear and out the other, but at least I don't feel like I'm out there all on my own for 2 or 3 or 4 hours. I almost look forward to my LSR so I can listen to RadioLab. Occasionally I learn (& remember) something! :P They've been making the show for 15 years now so that archive should keep me going until October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 ianm1990

My week was fairly good , my hamstrings were very sore after the week of training , went out and got a foam roller and it is now my new love !! I Have been using it twice daily on my calf's and hamstrings and the difference is amazing !

Mon / weight session kept things heavy with lowish rep's.
    Tuesday/ rest
    Wednesday / 4 mile with 6 pitch length strides
    Thursday/ 3 mile easy
    Friday/ 3 mile easy
    Sat/ rest
    Sun/ forgot to charge the garmin so just mapped a 10 mile run , was great running without a watch but ended up running it in 1hr 25min, felt great after it but certainly wouldn't want to be doing this to often .

I was hoping on doing 2 weight sessions a week but looks like I will drop this to 1 day and maybe do core stuff on another night at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

choons wrote: »
    Hi folks, looking for some last minute advice!

My original plan did not include the race series and had midweek LSRs so that I could continue parkrun. I get the sense that the race series is worth doing so I've signed up. This has messed with my plan as I would be doing races on the weekend which is close to mid week LSRs.

Question is, should I reluctantly park parkrun to make the most of DCM?

If so, new plan would be HHN1 with some additional bits because I'm feeling ambitious. Week 1 - Good luck!!

This is an annual dilemma on this forum.

You want to run a marathon, but you also want to keep on doing faster 5k's at Parkrun.
    You have to choose to get the best from the plan - otherwise you'll be doing a half baked job at both.

What is the main thing for you?

Always remember, the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. (I love saying that :) )

Lazare wrote: »
    The recovery advisor on my watch is telling me I'm cooked for another 50 hours. I obey that religiously since being injured earlier this year. So I'm gonna start my plan on Wed, do the session Thurs, rest Sat and LSR on Sunday. Still going to the gym session tomorrow morning though.

Good luck all, let's do this.
    Lazare wrote: »
    I've not looked into the science behind it but it always seems accurate. I think you need a fairly accurate max heart rate inputted for it to calculate correctly.

I'd listen to the body rather than a piece of tech.
    Take their input, but make the decision with the head.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    3, 2, 1....GO!

And we're off! The official start of the 18 week plans is finally upon us :D

Week 1

Schedules for Week 1 are:

HHN1: 3m easy + 3m easy + 3m easy + 6m LSR + cross
    Boards: 3m easy + 4m PMP (with 5 x 100m strides) + 3m easy + 8m LSR + 2m rec.

What do you suggest for someone who is slightly ahead of the plan? Maintain distances until plan catches up or plough ahead and get more long runs later in the plan? My week was Sat Irish Runner 5m, Sunday 5k recovery, Monday rest, Tuesday 6.5k tempo, Wed 10k easy, Thursday 5k easy, Friday rest, Sat 5k easy, Sunday 17k LSR

The plan is a guideline - if you are ahead of plan, I'd keep ahead as you may need a buffer week etc.
    The important thing is to keep your increases in line with the plan increases so you get the right adaptations.

e.g. if the Boards/HH plan increases the long run by 2miles, then increase your LR by 2 miles.

Kmagic wrote: »

Thurs- 12? miles in 2:14:57. My gps was acting up, I'm using map my run on an old galaxy s3. Usually works fine. I'd say i was closer to 13 than 12. on my previous LSR i did 10 miles, and found the last 2 miles tough. This time doing 12 i found the last 2 miles tough. Is that normal? If all my LSRs progress similarly I'll be happy. I know my pace was slow. I was drained for the day. Used contrast bathing on my legs. I was thrilled to have covered the distance.

Fri- 20 minute cross train in the moring on exercise bike, felt looser after my bike session, really helped my legs. Left at noon for a stag.

Sun- 6.45 miles in 68:27. Felt slow but comfortable. Happy considering the lack of sleep the 2 previous nights.

Some comments/questions from my week. Hopefully others will benefit from these being answered in the future.

Any rule of thumb on how much water and carbs/energy i should be taking in per mile/lenght of time?

I also started using a new pair of runners. I got 2 of the same pair, Asics gel-luminus 2. My plan is to use one pair up until 4/5 weeks before the marathon, then start breaking in the second pair so that my actual marathon ones will feel almost new with most of its cushioning still in th for the 26.2 but still be broken in. Is this a good approach? Or should i start using my marathon pair on every LSR up until the big day.

As this is my first training plan/set of races, my aim is to just try and hit consistant 10 minute miles and cover the distances. Will i suffer without doing any speed work? All my running is currently in around 10 minute mile pace, except the last few miles of my LSRs which drop to 11+ minute miles. Advice going forward?

Super set of questions! - I'll do my best but if Testosterscone (or whatever he's calling himself these days) is in the building, he may be better suited to some of these.

(1) 12-13m long run - very well done - its usual to feel drained after the 1st couple, but the body adapts and in a few weeks 12m will feel comfortable.
    The important thing is to take post run recovery very serious - food, hydration etc.
    Its also important to be hydrated before the run. - Nutrition prior to a run is a bit of a minefield - I'll get to that.

Doing the bike cross training the next day is an exceptional idea - it flushes the blood around the legs and helps with recovery - same thing with a very short slow recovery run. Either is a great thing to do.

(2) Water & Carbs: This is a minefield and there are experts who will tell you to drink before you get thirsty and others will say drink to thirst.
    Heres an article for you: http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/nutrition/running-101-hydration-during-running_7800

For carbs - again - its a delicate area. Some people use the "train low / race high" concept - which is to not have carbs on a long run and teach the body to use fats as fuel - they will then use carbs on the race day and get the additional boost.
    I'd advise you to only use them if you feel you need them towards the end of a long run - it takes about 15-20 mins for them to enter the bloodstream, so dont leave it too late.

I found last year for Marathon training, I needed them at the start of the plan, but as I got stronger, I didn't need them - but still brought one, just in case.

(3) Runners: your approach is bang on - try to get over 50 miles in your runners and do at least one of your long runs in them before you wear them on Marathon day.
    Also make note of the socks that dont cause blisters and wear them all the time.

(4) Pacing - 10 min miles: The marathon is primarily an aerobic event, so mileage trumps all, especially for a 1st time marathoner who's aim is to finish.

As your long runs progress, you will get stronger & stronger and the 'pace drop' will happen later and later - and hopefully not at all!

I'd keep to your pace plan until you feel stronger then look for advice on doing 1 or 2 things different. Speed work can come in all shapes and sizes and I'm reluctant to give advice thats outside the bounds of the HH/Boards plan.

• Advertisement

Super excited to get started now that I've read through everyone's posts from the last few days!! Best of luck to everyone with their training over the next 18 weeks :)

I will be following the Boards plan, with the added bonus of the Clontarf HM to run this Saturday :D Last weeks training went fairly well, although the heat midweek was a challenge, glad it's cooled down a bit now:
    Mon - 3m recovery at 11:33/mile
    Tues - 5 m easy at 11:10/mile
    Wed - 6 m easy at 11:16/mile
    Thurs - 4 m easy at 10:25/mile
    Sat - 12 m lsr at 11:16/mile
    LSR on sat went well although I made the mistake of not putting suncream on my arms and got burnt. Felt a lot more tired afterwards this week compared to last week, and I don't think the sunburn helped either, so I won't be making that mistake again :)

Just one question about this weeks plan, I'm sure it's been asked before but can't seem to find it in the thread. What exactly are the 5 x 100 m strides? Have never done them before so not sure what pace to run these at or how much recovery time to leave between each one...

Just a note on your paces - well done on running the LSR at the same pace as your other easy runs - this bodes well.
    The 4m easy run looks tasty on Thursday - try to match this in the coming week :)
    Your recovery run (not your easy runs) could be slower as theres only a 15 sec difference per mile. Dont be afraid to just shuffle the recovery runs - the aim of these runs is to help the body recover - its not to get an aerobic benefit.

Great week!

PS: Strides 101 - the full recovery is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Thanks AuldManKing. I read that article, seemed to make sense. On future LSRs I'll keep in mind drinking to thirst.

Red_Open wrote: »
    I'm hoping to finish in 4:30 roughly. I'm going with the HH plan. I haven't really been running at any particular pace so far. Some days I'll run a little harder, sometimes easier for no particular reason. I'm hoping to take a bit more control as the official plans start but I'm finding it hard to figure out what pace I should be running. I've a couple of questions:
    1) What should the difference be between the midweek runs and the LSRs at the weekend?
    2) Any rough guidelines for the paces I should be running?
    Thanks

I put your marathon finish time into the McMillan calculator and got the following:

Goal Marathon Pace is 10:18/mile

Long run range: 10:10-11:24 (large range here - see how it goes in the middle - about 10:45

Easy Runs:10:08 - 11:00 - maybe 10:30-10:40 mark

Yeah - wait til you do a HM then choose.
    The inability to run the 10k in 38.56 indicates a lack of speed endurance. That will be helped with Marathon training.

When you do the HM you'll have a better idea - if you are around the 1:35 mark - that indicates a 3:20 marathon.

Both this weekend (9m) and last weekend (8m) I noticed that I got a weird strain-type feeling in my left heel after about 5m. I run 5m to work 3 times a week and have only been going beyond that in my LSRs for the last 2 months or so. My runners are fairly new (maybe bought in Feb or Mar) and I had gait analysis done to choose them. Any idea what might cause this? Weird heel striking or something? I'm running mostly on tarmac, sometimes I try a bit of short grass. It's not very painful, but I can imagine if I had to run another 16m with it, I'd end up altering my run to compensate and cause some other problems. My foot was grand once I stopped running again and has been fine today. :confused:

Keep an eye on that - you may need to visit a physio soon if it keeps up.
    Plantar fasciitis is a common running complaint and if not treated early it can put pay to your training for weeks.

Hopefully its just a sore heel and not PF.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

kin9pin wrote: »
    Hey D3PO, is 53:20 a PB for 10K or is that the time you're running while training? McMillan predicts a 4:10 marathon time based on your 10K, but online calculators are generally optimistic as they don't take your endurance and history into account.

If you can answer the questions below, especially the details on your current training, (from Wubble Wubble's original post) it will help us offer the best advice.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Why are you running this marathon?

By the way, what plan are you currently looking at?

Welcome to the thread :)

Hey kin9pin sorry that was just a training time. I read your reply and it shamed me into running a bit faster in training last night and I did a steady paced 52.30

I've never raced before bar the DCM in 2014 and a few sprint Triathlons so I dont really have any race times to provide as DCM 2014 was done with no training so the times would provide no relevant insight.
    In terms of training times

5km 25.53
    10km 52.30
    HM DCM 2014 2:15:53 (not sure it has any relevance though)

I think I could get close to 50 or slightly sub 50 for a 10km if I was doing it as a race but as Im just training Im not going 100%

I have never taken a walk break in training :)

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Currently training 6 days a week (3 midweek runs, 1 LSR, 2 days cross training (swimming, cycling or core work) Im doing between 40 & 50km of running a week right now. LSRs are still not very long e.g this week will be 8 mile LSR

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I want to go sub 4 hour at the very worst I would want to go sub 4.15

I can train as many days as I need per plan but as I have two young kids the times I train on those days varies around family. Some days for eample Iv ehad to go for a 6am run knowing I woudlnt have time in the evening to train etc. Ideally Id lveo to join a club but I dont have the ability to have a consistent time of the day or evening I could train at so thats not a possibility

This is the plan I have been following now in week 3

https://www.walkjogrun.net/training/marathon/training-plan.cfm?planId=full-int-run&raceDt=10/29/2017

Because I feel I have unfinished business after DCM 2014 where I had to complete it with no training done. (5hrs 21 mins) I want to complete it having done a proper training lead in and see what I can achieve in terms of time.

Now my turn for questions if you dont mind :)

Is there a good nutrition guide I can follow ? I eat fairly well but when it comes to carbo loading etc I really have no knowledge on what or how I should be fueling appropriately for training and the race. If there was a nutrition program available that I could at least closely follow that would be good.

Im signed up for the race series and the rock n roll half. Should I be running these at targeted paces based on sub 4hr marathon pace or should I be running these as fast as I can ?

Oh also Ive been doing the LSRs at 5:50km pace. Is that too slow ? I know the LSR is the most important thing so want to make sure I get the most benefit out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

D3PO wrote: »
    Hey kin9pin sorry that was just a training time. I read your reply and it shamed me into running a bit faster in training last night and I did a steady paced 52.30

I've never raced before bar the DCM in 2014 and a few sprint Triathlons so I dont really have any race times to provide as DCM 2014 was done with no training so the times would provide no relevant insight.
    In terms of training times

5km 25.53
    10km 52.30

I think I could get close to 50 or slightly sub 50 for a 10km if I was doing it as a race but as Im just training Im not going 100%

I have never taken a walk break in training :)

Currently training 6 days a week (3 midweek runs, 1 LSR, 2 days cross training (swimming, cycling or core work) Im doing between 40 & 50km of running a week right now. LSRs are still not very long e.g this week will be 8 mile LSR

I want to go sub 4 hour at the very worst I would want to go sub 4.15

I can train as many days as I need per plan but as I have two young kids the times I train on those days varies around family. Some days for eample Iv ehad to go for a 6am run knowing I woudlnt have time in the evening to train etc. Ideally Id lveo to join a club but I dont have the ability to have a consistent time of the day or evening I could train at so thats not a possibility

This is the plan I have been following now in week 3

https://www.walkjogrun.net/training/marathon/training-plan.cfm?planId=full-int-run&raceDt=10/29/2017

Because I feel I have unfinished business after DCM 2014 where I had to complete it with no training done. (5hrs 21 mins) I want to complete it having done a proper training lead in and see what I can achieve in terms of time.

Now my turn for questions if you dont mind :)

Is there a good nutrition guide I can follow ? I eat fairly well but when it comes to carbo loading etc I really have no knowledge on what or how I should be fueling appropriately for training and the race. If there was a nutrition program available that I could at least closely follow that would be good.

Im signed up for the race series and the rock n roll half. Should I be running these at targeted paces based on sub 4hr marathon pace or should I be running these as fast as I can ?

Oh also Ive been doing the LSRs at 5:50km pace. Is that too slow ? I know the LSR is the most important thing so want to make sure I get the most benefit out of it.

I'm sure that someone who knows more than I will give you more advice but it seems to me that either you are capable of going well under 50 mins for 10k or else all your training and LSRs are way too fast. About 85/90% of training should be in the 60-75% of max effort range. A 10k easy run for someone who has a best of 50 minutes should be about an hour in training imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Thanks Skyblue based on HR my training seems to be in the 70 - 80% range so I should scale back a bit ?

I think I need some guidance on training paces, particularly the LSR. Im doing them at 5:50 pace and it feels like a fast walk its kinda hard to reign myself back lol.

I think I could go sub 50 for a 10km right now but not well under like you suggest which probably is an indication that im training a bit too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Hi all

Very excited and a bit nervous to be actually on the plan now, even though I've been running pretty consistently 4 days a week now for last 7 weeks in an effort to get ready to start training proper.
    I haven't told anyone except my immediate family yet that I hope to do the marathon so love this board for keeping me going and motivated. I read everyday but don't post too often.It is already helping keep me focused.
    Yesterday was day 1 and it was absolutely horrible out around half seven when I needed to go out. I really faltered but then said if I can't make day 1 of the plan what hope have I so off I went reluctantly and squelched my way around for a pretty slow 6 miles. I didn't put much effort into pace I just went along at whatever pace came naturally and was just pleased with myself for having gone out the door. I'm sure there will be plenty more days like that between now and October so good to know I can do it. It actually wasn't that bad after about 2 miles except for sodden feet and trying to avoid meeting cars at puddles.

Anyway my current question is about the races between now and 29th October. I am not from Dublin and won't be doing the race series. The only race I had in mind was the Tullamore half on 26th August.
    Any thoughts on this race? Also Its 9 weeks out from the end so should I be able to race it to get an idea of what my marathon goal should be or should I just be looking to it as a training run to get used to racing and pacing myself? Its a long way out I know but just like to have an idea. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Week 19th June

Tues 5k race @ 4:54 min/km, avg HR 173, 24:36
    Thursday 8k easy @ 6:14 min/km, avg HR 157, 50:38
    Saturday 15km LSR @ 6:15 min/km, avg HR 148, 1:33:46

28.1km, 17.5 miles + 1 yoga class

Pretty happy with the runs i did.

Disappointed to miss the 4th run but real life got in the way more than once this week :rolleyes:

Best of luck everyone on the first week of the plan :)

• Advertisement

henrietta wrote: »
    Hi all

Very excited and a bit nervous to be actually on the plan now, even though I've been running pretty consistently 4 days a week now for last 7 weeks in an effort to get ready to start training proper.
    I haven't told anyone except my immediate family yet that I hope to do the marathon so love this board for keeping me going and motivated. I read everyday but don't post too often.It is already helping keep me focused.
    Yesterday was day 1 and it was absolutely horrible out around half seven when I needed to go out. I really faltered but then said if I can't make day 1 of the plan what hope have I so off I went reluctantly and squelched my way around for a pretty slow 6 miles. I didn't put much effort into pace I just went along at whatever pace came naturally and was just pleased with myself for having gone out the door. I'm sure there will be plenty more days like that between now and October so good to know I can do it. It actually wasn't that bad after about 2 miles except for sodden feet and trying to avoid meeting cars at puddles.

Anyway my current question is about the races between now and 29th October. I am not from Dublin and won't be doing the race series. The only race I had in mind was the Tullamore half on 26th August.
    Any thoughts on this race? Also Its 9 weeks out from the end so should I be able to race it to get an idea of what my marathon goal should be or should I just be looking to it as a training run to get used to racing and pacing myself? Its a long way out I know but just like to have an idea. Thanks

Welcome and thanks for posting - the more people we have sharing, the better the forum!!

Its fantastic that you were out last night in that rain - major kudos to you.
    It only hurts for the 1st few mins as once your wet, well, your wet!

The Tullamore half is a great race - I've heard good things about it and as its 9 weeks out you should be able to race it and get a good idea of your capabilities.
    I'd race it in the knowledge that you have another 8-9 weeks following that to build up your fitness even more - so if the result doesn't go the way you want it, dont worry - you have plenty more weeks training.

Its good to get an idea of races etc early on as it keeps you focused and its always good to plan ahead.

My 2 cents - I'd not alter the plan for a while - if after a few weeks you are feeling very fresh etc despite the mileage, then you may need a different stimulus to ensure you are building the cumulative fatigue that you normally feel while in Marathon training.

Is it a bad sign that i think i'm already feeling cumulative fatigue from the last 4 weeks of base training :eek: I'm putting it down to running 5 races (4 x 5kms and 1 x 10km) in 4 weeks. Legs feel a bit more heavy/weary than normal. I'm thinking of skipping the PMP miles this week and run all easy runs :confused: I'm torn thinking this is a really bad start to the plan :rolleyes: or maybe it's the wisest thing to do to recover and pick up week 2 properly.

ariana` wrote: »
    Is it a bad sign that i think i'm already feeling cumulative fatigue from the last 4 weeks of base training :eek: I'm putting it down to running 5 races (4 x 5kms and 1 x 10km) in 4 weeks. Legs feel a bit more heavy/weary than normal. I'm thinking of skipping the PMP miles this week and run all easy runs :confused: I'm torn thinking this is a really bad start to the plan :rolleyes: or maybe it's the wisest thing to do to recover and pick up week 2 properly.

5 races in 4 weeks is a big effort - doing all easy miles this week is fine.

If you are missing the MP miles, maybe add 2 miles to that run to compensate (only if you feel guilty) or just leave them out altogether as its important to start the plan feeling fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Ran 17 miles Sunday (9.20 per mile average) and 2 yesterday followed by a 'fitness class' in the GYM... Despite being very fit, I'm one of the worst performers in the class due to a weak core and lack of flexibility, but I do what I can.... Hoping to get in a race Friday night, I need a few races over the next few months,for motivation and to see where I'm at.... Bowels , stomach ,were not great yesterday.....

5 races in 4 weeks is a big effort - doing all easy miles this week is fine.

If you are missing the MP miles, maybe add 2 miles to that run to compensate (only if you feel guilty) or just leave them out altogether as its important to start the plan feeling fresh.

Thanks. This is what i was thinking. Its not a habit i want to get into but in the long run as a once off i think the easy miles will benefit me more.
    Spirogyra wrote: »
    Ran 17 miles Sunday (9.20 per mile average) and 2 yesterday followed by a 'fitness class' in the GYM... Despite being very fit, I'm one of the worst performers in the class due to a weak core and lack of flexibility, but I do what I can.... Hoping to get in a race Friday night, I need a few races over the next few months,for motivation and to see where I'm at.... Bowels , stomach ,were not great yesterday.....

I'm the same. Does the class target your weaknesses or are you doing anything else to help? I do yoga once per week and find it very beneficial but i know in some poses it looks like i'm not even trying when i'm really at the limit of my ability. It's shameful. I could do with something on another evening as well as once per wk probably isn't enough to see much improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

last week a bit of disaster training wise. had hoped to get a good bit more mileage in before the plan kicked off but had my wedding anniversary at the weekend which somewhat put a stop to my running at the weekend.

Getting back out tonight with the plan

I think the next 18-19 weeks will absolutely fly in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

ariana` wrote: »
    Thanks. This is what i was thinking. Its not a habit i want to get into but in the long run as a once off i think the easy miles will benefit me more.

I'm the same. Does the class target your weaknesses or are you doing anything else to help? I do yoga once per week and find it very beneficial but i know in some poses it looks like i'm not even trying when i'm really at the limit of my ability. It's shameful. I could do with something on another evening as well as once per wk probably isn't enough to see much improvement.

Pilates was recommended to me,for flexibility but there's only so much I can do at one moment in time....It's likely I'll do some in the winter ie after the marathon. I do this class at least once, sometimes twice a week and I'm hoping that slowly, it will start to help. The Instructor is getting to know me and is sometimes modifying my routine, until I get stronger....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

When the alarm went off this morning I could hear the rain hitting the window, it was so tempting to stay under the duvet, but I dragged myself out and went out for my first LSR. Only 6 miles, and it was slow, I combined it with work, by taking the current doggy boarding guest with me, who very happily trotted along with me and has been crashed out on the sofa since we got back.

I did some warm up dynamic stretches and used the foam roller before I went out for the first time, and then stretched and rolled again when I got back, am intending on making that part of each run, and hoping that it won't hurt as much if I do it regularly. Treated myself to some French toast and a couple of rashers - and a banana for brunch when I got home, so all in all a good start to the plan - I'm training for a marathon, never thought I'd say (or type) those words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well the thread is flying now good luck to everyone starting out on week 1 :)

I have my first run this evening 3 miles easy and looking forward to it. I normally run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes so I am thinking it should be more like 35 to 38 minutes for easy pace

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well the thread is flying now good luck to everyone starting out on week 1 :)

I have my first run this evening 3 miles easy and looking forward to it. I normally run 3 miles in less than 30 minutes so I am thinking it should be more like 35 to 38 minutes for easy pace

Have you a recent race so you can gauge what it should be?

Edit - I recall you done the 5 miler so checked for you :)

Recovery runs at 12 min/miles ('ish)
    Long Runs at 10:30 - 11:50 range / so lets say 11:15/mile
    Easy Runs at 10:30 - 11:20 range / so lets say 11:20/mile

So a 3 mile easy run - anything from 31mins to 34 mins

Advertisement