Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have you a recent race so you can gauge what it should be?

Edit - I recall you done the 5 miler so checked for you :)

Recovery runs at 12 min/miles ('ish)
    Long Runs at 10:30 - 11:50 range / so lets say 11:15/mile
    Easy Runs at 10:30 - 11:20 range / so lets say 11:20/mile

So a 3 mile easy run - anything from 31mins to 34 mins

That has completely confused me. I thought Long Runs, were meant to be really slow? Long slow run, but that says that the LSR would be faster than an easy run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

muddypaws wrote: »
    That has completely confused me. I thought Long Runs, were meant to be really slow? Long slow run, but that says that the LSR would be faster than an easy run.

Nah - its just how I summarized the easy run - my bad - the range on the long run is wider than the easy run.

Should be

Long Runs at 10:30 - 11:50 range / so lets say 11:10/mile
    Easy Runs at 10:30 - 11:20 range / so lets say 10:55/mile

thanks for pointing it out!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

muddypaws wrote: »
    Treated myself to some French toast and a couple of rashers - and a banana for brunch when I got home, so all in all a good start to the plan - I'm training for a marathon, never thought I'd say (or type) those words :D

Here's to 4 months/18 weeks worth of posts like this. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Nah - its just how I summarized the easy run - my bad - the range on the long run is wider than the easy run.

Should be

Thank you. But that does worry me, my LSRs are much slower than my easy runs, so I'm probably running them too slow, but I guess thats what the training is for, to get things right :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

On a downer now after a failed interval session, went out and tried a 3* 2mile session at close to 10k race pace , 1 mile warm up legs are feeling heavy , found a local 800m loop , did first mile in 6:30 second mile in 6:35 , I was due an 800m jog recovery but I packed it in early and jogged home feeling very down , found this workout in the runnersworld plan for sub 3:15 - might need to reaccsss as not close to it. Mentally lacked drive to continue , annoying :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Seems like a pretty agressive run so early in a plan. I saw that style run in my mcmillan 10k plan but you didn't do it until you've already done alternate weeks of interval 400m/800m speed sessions and 6x1m at 10k pace, 1x2m and 4 x 1m 10k pace, 2x2m and 1x2m at 10k pace. Eventually on week 7 I attempted the 3x2m 10k pace. Have you done other "speed" sessions prior to attempting that 3x2m?

Seems like a pretty agressive run so early in a plan. I saw that style run in my mcmillan 10k plan but you didn't do it until you've already done alternate weeks of interval 400m/800m speed sessions and 6x1m at 10k pace, 1x2m and 4 x 1m 10k pace, 2x2m and 1x2m at 10k pace. Eventually on week 7 I attempted the 3x2m 10k pace. Have you done other "speed" sessions prior to attempting that 3x2m?

I've do 12*400 sessions in a group on Thursdays, having the group really helps , it could just be a bad night but knocks the confidence. I think I'll try the 6*1m at 10k pace next week instead and the others you mentioned. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I've do 12*400 sessions in a group on Thursdays, having the group really helps , it could just be a bad night but knocks the confidence. I think I'll try the 6*1m at 10k pace next week instead and the others you mentioned. thanks.

I'm by no means experienced but just the mcmillan plan I did had the 3x2m at week 7. I know i wouldnt have handled the 3x2m without going through the others first. Best of luck!

On a downer now after a failed interval session, went out and tried a 3* 2mile session at close to 10k race pace , 1 mile warm up legs are feeling heavy , found a local 800m loop , did first mile in 6:30 second mile in 6:35 , I was due an 800m jog recovery but I packed it in early and jogged home feeling very down , found this workout in the runnersworld plan for sub 3:15 - might need to reaccsss as not close to it. Mentally lacked drive to continue , annoying :mad:

Dont loose your mojo so quickly.

You've quit on a session - try not do that again.

Modify the session 'on the go' if you have to.
    I think the session reads as 3x2m OR 13 mins fast - so you could run 13 mins fast with a 3 min recovery & repeat - or if thats tough, change it to 3x2m @ slightly faster than MP if you have to - but quitting on a session like that makes it easy to bail when the going gets tough.

That marathon plan has a 4x1m OR 6mins next week.
    Thats a tough session in anyones book - look at it as doing 4x6min HARD - that takes pace out of the equation and makes it about time and effort.

With the smaller recovery, even if you do it at Tempo pace/effort, its a solid workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got out after work today for an easy 3m, this weather kind of takes the sting out of having to run after work!!
    I ran it at a 7:15 min/mile pace, although it felt great and nothing too tiring, I still think its a bit fast after seeing everyone elses times on here. Really need to look into a proper pair of runners, my toes are feeling it with the runners im wearing at the minute.

Also heading off to cancun next week, will try my best to keep the running up over there, a mix of beach running and threadmill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Have you a recent race so you can gauge what it should be?

Edit - I recall you done the 5 miler so checked for you :)

Recovery runs at 12 min/miles ('ish)

So a 3 mile easy run - anything from 31mins to 34 mins

Thanks so much and I am delighted I am on target I ran 3 miles in 31 minutes :) it felt strange to slow down, Tuesday runs are with my running club and I am normally up the front of our group with one to two others. not today LOL

I also ran the Waterford viking quarter on Saturday in 1 hour 7 minutes :)

I am following the

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Got out after work today for an easy 3m, this weather kind of takes the sting out of having to run after work!!
    I ran it at a 7:15 min/mile pace, although it felt great and nothing too tiring, I still think its a bit fast after seeing everyone elses times on here. Really need to look into a proper pair of runners, my toes are feeling it with the runners im wearing at the minute.

If your 5k pace is ~21 minutes, then that's not an easy 3 miles! What other running are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Singer wrote: »
    If your 5k pace is ~21 minutes, then that's not an easy 3 miles! What other running are you doing?

Just the HH plan, over the last couple of weeks. Ive said it already in this thread that im finding it hard to slow down, ive tried slower music, listening to podcasts etc and still cant seem to slow down noticeably!! Im really gonna try to slow down tomorrow, hopefully out in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Just the HH plan, over the last couple of weeks. Ive said it already in this thread that im finding it hard to slow down, ive tried slower music, listening to podcasts etc and still cant seem to slow down noticeably!! Im really gonna try to slow down tomorrow, hopefully out in the morning.

What about running with some one who is slower and keeping with them maybe or keep an eye on your watch have it show your pace so you can slow down to the correct pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Should be

Where do you get these paces from? I could do with checking mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Monday
    5k easy: Avg pace 5:50 min/km (29:18), avg HR 143. It was so wet i didn't look at the watch once and easy effort ended up being PMP :rolleyes:

Tuesday
    7.2k run: Avg pace 6:10 min/km (44:27), avg HR 147. Two consecutive days and two different seasons, that's the Irish Summer for ya, hot for this one :cool: Nothing notable, kept it easy, legs a bit tired these days.

Foam rolling after both in front of the box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    What about running with some one who is slower and keeping with them maybe or keep an eye on your watch have it show your pace so you can slow down to the correct pace :)

This is what I've done and now i am finding i quite enjoy going slower and am managing it on my own though i do better when i keep an eye on the watch :pac:

As a way of motivating myself I've set a new goal of keeping my HR down and i'm getting my kick from that rather than from the pace. My avg HR is always at best in the low 140s, not sure if it's possibly or not but i'd love to see it in the high 130s. I'm a real stats person so this helps me and whatever works, right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Baby75 wrote: »

I discovered yesterday that even the free version of the Strava app can call out your pace to you at intervals. Might help someone with pacing!

On android:
    Go to "Record Activity"
    Click top left "Settings" button
    Click "Audio Cues"
    Under the heading "Run", select which announcements you would like to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

First training run last night of 18 week plan based on the 80/20 running book
    6.45 km pace for  5 minutes
    6.21 km pace for 20 minutes
    5.20 km pace for 5 minutes 
    Strange running slow like that but the logic in the book is good it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Has anyone got the link to the 2017 Boards plan?
    I have a link to a google doc but it's got the 2016 dates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Has anyone got the link to the 2017 Boards plan?
    I have a link to a google doc but it's got the 2016 dates.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103520642&postcount=153

Is there a way to edit the opening post to include this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

choons wrote: »

Thanks

So today calls for "4m with 5 x 100m strides".
    Should the strides be done at the end of the 4 mile run (planned marathon pace?) or should I incorporate each of the strides throughout the 4 miles?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Where do you get these paces from? I could do with checking mine.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

No need to add your email address that it specifies.

Thanks

So today calls for "4m with 5 x 100m strides".
    Should the strides be done at the end of the 4 mile run (planned marathon pace?) or should I incorporate each of the strides throughout the 4 miles?

At the end where possible. - Strides work the neurological system and help fire the fast twitch fibres when the legs are tired.

At the end where possible. - Strides work the neurological system and help fire the fast twitch fibres when the legs are tired.

Thanks was wondering that myself, spent the morning looking at plans ! Have a plan and stick to it is my plan :rolleyes:
    That running world sub 3.15 plan looks too heavy on mileage for me and too tough , I've picked the key sessions PMP and long run from the boards plan , I'm cycling over 100k a week so i'll use cycling on rest / cross days. Biggest week in plan is 66k that should be plenty for a 3:15 (if it's not meh i'll try again next year!)

choons wrote: »

Wubble Wubble can arrange this when he's back from his little holiday

Thanks was wondering that myself, spent the morning looking at plans ! Have a plan and stick to it is my plan :rolleyes:
    That running world sub 3.15 plan looks too heavy on mileage for me and too tough , I've picked the key sessions PMP and long run from the boards plan , I'm cycling over 100k a week so i'll use cycling on rest / cross days. Biggest week in plan is 66k that should be plenty for a 3:15 (if it's not meh i'll try again next year!)

Heres another option -

https://www.chss.org.uk/supportus/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Training-Zone-Marathon-training-plan.pdf

-look at Page 22.

I'm not advocating the above - its just another alternative or you.

Its important to follow the correct progression from a plan, so if you are picking and choosing - make sure you do it from the correct week.

Also as you are targeting an aggressive time, relative to others, the Novice boards plan may not be appropriate for you. You may need more of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Can we get a metric version of the plan please?
    TIA

Heres another option -

https://www.chss.org.uk/supportus/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Training-Zone-Marathon-training-plan.pdf

-look at Page 22.

I'm not advocating the above - its just another alternative or you.

Its important to follow the correct progression from a plan, so if you are picking and choosing - make sure you do it from the correct week.

Also as you are targeting an aggressive time, relative to others, the Novice boards plan may not be appropriate for you. You may need more of a challenge.

That was my original plan! Page 22 , the sessions in it are going to be too hard for me I already know by looking at them i'll burn out before marathon.
    I cycle at least 100k a week wednesday thursday Friday and go to an interval session on thursdays. I'll probably skip that session if I am over tired and do a tempo or easy run instead. Tuesdays I have 3k+ (which is the warm up and cool down) and then the rest of the run at planned marathon pace. This plan looks much more achievable. The mileage in the runnersworld one would kill me.
    Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/XEoIT

• Advertisement

That was my original plan! Page 22 , the sessions in it are going to be too hard for me I already know by looking at them i'll burn out before marathon.
    I cycle at least 100k a week wednesday thursday Friday and go to an interval session on thursdays. I'll probably skip that session if I am over tired and do a tempo or easy run instead. Tuesdays I have 3k+ (which is the warm up and cool down) and then the rest of the run at planned marathon pace. This plan looks much more achievable. The mileage in the runnersworld one would kill me.
    Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/XEoIT

Just note that for a 3:15 marathon, the plan is meant to challenge you and not meant to be easy :)

Lets see how the race series goes for you - you can adapt after the 10k or the FD10m if needed.

Advertisement