Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Anyone here run with a bag?

How do those of you that do stop your t-shirt from bunching up at the back and end up leaving half your back bare? I really feel like I'm missing something obvious with preventing it, but I haven't been able to find a reliable way. I can tuck my t-shirt into my shorts at the back, but that only delays the inevitable.

Yup I do run with a bag if running to or from work. I use a bag that has a chest and waist strap. Can you get one like that and pull it tight. Should solve your problem with a bit of luck. IMO if running with a bag you need a double strap

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Anyone here run with a bag?
    How do those of you that do stop your t-shirt from bunching up at the back and end up leaving half your back bare? I really feel like I'm missing something obvious with preventing it, but I haven't been able to find a reliable way. I can tuck my t-shirt into my shorts at the back, but that only delays the inevitable.

Yep I run to the pool / work with a Deuter 15L Speedlite bag 3 mornings a week. I haven't really found that my t-shirt rides up, I usually wear a fitted yellow running jacket which goes down past my hips, and when I'm running kind of just ends up over my butt at the back. :o I reckon this is holding my t-shirt in place most of the time, but occasionally I run without it. My backpack has a waist strap which I do close, but just so it's not swinging around my legs. It's very loose.

Is your t-shirt quite loose?
    Is your bag really big or heavy?
    Maybe the bag is bobbing around a lot? I wear mine quite snugly so there's not much bouncing around. And it's high up on my back.
    Don't really know what else to adjust...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Oooh 1000th post! :eek:

That is all. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

positron wrote: »
    Happy with Garmin Forerunner 230 for acitivities I do (running & cycling), can't comment about swimming or gym work. Also it's not as accurate as Xiaomi MiBand for sendentary warning, but that's possibly due to battery saving setting. I can imagine 235 or Vivoactive will be just as good or better with HR option.

Positron is the only main difference between the 230 and the 235 the hr monitor on the wrist? Wonder how accurate it is really?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Yup I do run with a bag if running to or from work. I use a bag that has a chest and waist strap. Can you get one like that and pull it tight. Should solve your problem with a bit of luck. IMO if running with a bag you need a double strap
    Yep I run to the pool / work with a Deuter 15L Speedlite bag 3 mornings a week. I haven't really found that my t-shirt rides up, I usually wear a fitted yellow running jacket which goes down past my hips, and when I'm running kind of just ends up over my butt at the back. :o I reckon this is holding my t-shirt in place most of the time, but occasionally I run without it. My backpack has a waist strap which I do close, but just so it's not swinging around my legs. It's very loose.

Is your t-shirt quite loose?
    Is your bag really big or heavy?
    Maybe the bag is bobbing around a lot? I wear mine quite snugly so there's not much bouncing around. And it's high up on my back.
    Don't really know what else to adjust...

Yeah it's a 15L bag as well, with both chest and waist straps which I pull tight, and then I pull the shoulder strap tight as well. I guess the t-shirts I wear would be loose enough, but not outrageously loose or anything. The bag doesn't bounce around too much, but enough to pull my t-shirt up, evidently. It's a bag I got for 20 odd euro from mountain warehouse, so maybe something like a Deuter bag would be a better fit of a bag. I'll try a few different strap tightness combinations and see how I get on, but may get a Deuter or something a bit better if not; I've had the current bag for a good while.

Cheers anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

So if running on a treadmill seems easier than running on the road and running on the road seems easier than running on grass.... then does it make sense to do all of your training on grass and then when marathon comes along running on the road will seems easier on the legs???
    Just something I was thinking about while out on my run this evening!!!

So if running on a treadmill seems easier than running on the road and running on the road seems easier than running on grass.... then does it make sense to do all of your training on grass and then when marathon comes along running on the road will seems easier on the legs???
    Just something I was thinking about while out on my run this evening!!!

Well I'm not sure that running on grass is necessarily tougher than on road. You can certainly run faster on road than on grass, so maybe that's where you got that idea from? But this is then tougher/stressful on your muscles and bones, so running on grass is better for injury prevention.

Also, since you'll be running the whole marathon on road, you'll want to do a decent bit of training on road, same way you'd do some trail running for a trail race. So ideally you'd do all (or most) of your running on road, but this can get tiring and makes you more likely to be injured, so it's always good to run on grass sometimes. So basically, mix it up. Don't always run on one surface or the other if you can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'll try a few different strap tightness combinations and see how I get on, but may get a Deuter or something a bit better if not; I've had the current bag for a good while.

I used to commute using a cheap enough running backpack (Ultimate Performance Peak) but treated myself to a Deuter Speed Lite 20 earlier this year. The Deuter is definitely a better bag, somehow lighter and more robust at the same time. I find that the two factors for t-shirts ending up crawling while running are the length of the straps and the fit of the t-shirt - in both cases the goldilocks configuration works best for me (not too tight, not too loose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Got out today despite coming down with a cold on Monday, was dreading it but glad I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Welcome - what plan are you intending on following? For a 3:30 marathon, you need something a bit more aggressive than the Boards or HH plans.

Hi AMK,

I have started on HH intermediate 1 and, like you say, it might not be enough miles for sub 3:30 but I'd say it's all the time I can give. If I feel it's not enough and can find time I might jump to intermediate 2.

Alternatively if you have a proposal for a plan then I will consider it at this reasonably early stage.

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    I used to commute using a cheap enough running backpack (Ultimate Performance Peak) but treated myself to a Deuter Speed Lite 20 earlier this year. The Deuter is definitely a better bag, somehow lighter and more robust at the same time. I find that the two factors for t-shirts ending up crawling while running are the length of the straps and the fit of the t-shirt - in both cases the goldilocks configuration works best for me (not too tight, not too loose).

May try a new one so, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

podgec10 wrote: »
    Hi AMK,

I have started on HH intermediate 1 and, like you say, it might not be enough miles for sub 3:30 but I'd say it's all the time I can give. If I feel it's not enough and can find time I might jump to intermediate 2.

Alternatively if you have a proposal for a plan then I will consider it at this reasonably early stage.

You may need the additional intensity that HH2 provides - intervals & tempos will help you immensely - I'm unsure if it will take too much more time?

So many posts on a particular kinda sportswear - I'm thinking I might need to do some "research" into this 'chaffing' business :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

So many posts on a particular kinda sportswear - I'm thinking I might need to do some "research" into this 'chaffing' business :):)

I wear undershorts when running, without underwear. Didn't really notice where the seems were on one pair till about ten minutes after a half marathon last year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Positron is the only main difference between the 230 and the 235 the hr monitor on the wrist? Wonder how accurate it is really?

I have a 235 and I don't find the HR accurate at all. In true DC Rainmaker style I have tested using a Garmin HR strap paired to my phone and running with the 235 and I have also tested with the strap paired to my garmin 510 and also recoding the cycling activity on with the 235 and I find there to be a discrepancy of between 5 - 10 bpm (with the watch tending to be on the higher side)

Personally if I was buying again id buy the 230.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Hi All, well I'm registered now so I guess that means I'm in ...
    Thanks Wubble  for taking the helm, such a great tradition.  From previous  experience this thread is an amazing resource and a great support.  I'm expecting to be hooked again from now to race day!  I'm looking forward to trawling thru the first 68 pages but figured I'd get the intro's done first.   It's good to be back!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I've been here before, I walked DCM in 2010/11 - hence the name and then ran it in 2012 in 4:50.
    Since then I've had a mixed bag that included some running injuries (which I'd avoided during marathon training!) and a year out after broken ankle from being knocked off the bike in 2016.  I'm not a prolific racer and don't do many.
    My best times are happy memories from a while back now ...
    48 mins 10k for Samsung night run '15
    23 mins 5k  for MSB 5k '15
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Not usually!
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    This is a not consistent due to work/family story but usually 2-3 time a week, for about 20 miles.  I work travel a bit and that plays havoc although I try to do some running when I'm away.  I had a good training cycle before Connemara HM but had a disastrous day including a tummy bug grinding out 2:45 in the end.
    Generally good at sticking to plan once I get going, I'm also back to bike commuting now, although I sometime alternate that with running which is great as it's a 10K round trip
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Well I know to respect the distance etc so finishing is my first priority, I had an amazing day in 2012 and ran the trained for race, including a negative split and 2x HM PB's on the day, running strongly in the last 10k
    I have a longer term ambition to run Boston so a BQ time is where I'd like to get, which is 3:40 >54 and 3:55 >59,
    I'm 56 now and thinking to make 3:55 in the next 2-3 years net -55mins PB, so 4:20 is where I'd like to be in 2017.  I think in 2015 I was going well enough to break 4 and times were coming down but I have a ways to go to get back there.  If things go better I'll be delighted but running is a long term project for me, so bite sized chunks.
    How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I'll do the 4 days and basic plan
    Why are you running this marathon?
    This is  sort of covered above in that my long term goal is Boston.  I was a heavier bloke weighing in at 17.5 st back in 2010 and I used my first DCM to help get me motivated to lose a bit, although I didn't lose much.  I'd wanted to do Dublin forever and walking let me get the monkey off my back before I hit 50.  Then in 2012 with training and WW's I lost 4st to 13.5 st and I've stayed there broadly - with some up/down.  With the injuries (persistent calf strain) and the accident I feel that the momentum I was building got a little lost and I'd really like to give that another go.  So this is back on the horsey, redemption and pushing it a little bit.
    PS: I also converted in the interim to running in barefoot/minimalist shoes so this will be my first full in that mode! Will be interested to see how that plays out with a heavier training load.  And I've adopted a LCHF/Keto way of eating (WOE) so I'm fairly fat adapted which will also be interesting - running on fats and no carbo loading for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Morning all :) I got out for my run last night and my legs were feeling so tired, I dragged myself around when I got back I felt a niggle in my calf it's still bothering me this morning esp coming down stairs so I'm wondering should I run today should I rest and run tomorrow instead

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

You may need the additional intensity that HH2 provides - intervals & tempos will help you immensely - I'm unsure if it will take too much more time?

I think you mean the HH advanced plans, regarding tempo and intervals.

You are probably right regarding time. Once your running 5 times a week it doesn't matter (to the person not at home with the 2 small boys!!!) if it's 30 easy or 50 mins in reality. I was also accounting for a larger jump in running mileage on the advanced programs than I was doing before starting.

Last year was the first year I did any intervals and I actually enjoyed them!! so this might be worth considering. i'll have to take another look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Baby75 wrote: »
    Morning all :) I got out for my run last night and my legs were feeling so tired, I dragged myself around when I got back I felt a niggle in my calf it's still bothering me this morning esp coming down stairs so I'm wondering should I run today should I rest and run tomorrow instead
    At this early stage I wouldn't take risks. A rest day will certainly do no harm. Do you use a foam roller? I have found them to be brilliant for little niggles and tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Im Niamh :D
    Oh and I'm Sean 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

muddypaws wrote: »
    Finally booked it today, as well as the two local races to tie in with the plan, a 10miler and half. I had already signed up for an adventure race in Galway on 22nd July, which includes 8km running, so will see how that one goes.

I've also ordered new runners, gone from the Brooks Vapor to the Adrenaline GTs 16 on the advice of a friend, so will see how they feel before I get a pair for the marathon.

I did a 3 mile easy run last night in Belleek woods, after teaching two one hour classes, so was mentally worn out, and really enjoyed the run, its a fantastic place to run, some tough hills, but a nice flat near the end to push on slightly, and finish faster, which I hope is OK, its definitely nowhere near a sprint, just a small increase in pace.

Mind me asking which 2 local races you signed up for in the end? I think we are both in the West ;)

Also, where did you order your runners from?

D3PO wrote: »
    I have a 235 and I don't find the HR accurate at all. In true DC Rainmaker style I have tested using a Garmin HR strap paired to my phone and running with the 235 and I have also tested with the strap paired to my garmin 510 and also recoding the cycling activity on with the 235 and I find there to be a discrepancy of between 5 - 10 bpm (with the watch tending to be on the higher side)

Personally if I was buying again id buy the 230.

Interesting to read this.

I have the FR235 and i haven't compared the HR readings to any other device so maybe they are not accurate but they are definitely consistent so i can see the trend. If i do a race it gets close to what i'm guessing my max is, easy runs are in the same range for normal conditions, easy runs on a hot day it's higher than easy runs on a cool day, easy runs the day after a hard run might be a bit higher, easy run with a slight head cold it might be raised a bit etc... Lately i'm seeing my HR slightly lower on easy runs in similar conditions from 2 months ago so this gives me a boost as i feel my aerobic fitness is improving. If i paid out for lab testing of Max HR/VO2 Max and wanted to train with specific HR Zones then i would need to be 100% sure it's accurate but for my needs consistency and trends are more important.

Do you usually do the Sunday recovery run? If not then maybe do a Sunday recovery run this week instead of tonight's run. Tonight is recovery as well. Or give it a go tonight and if it's bothering you stop & walk? Have you a foam roller?

quickbeam wrote: »
    I still haven't signed up. I don't think I will actually. It always was ambitious of me to consider it considering I only started running (from a very poor fitness level) last September. If I may, I'll continue to follow the plan and post here until it's officlally sold out and I've officially missed the chance to partake. Because, until then, there's always the chance I'll change my mind.

Oh go on you know you want to, you really really do ;)

Seriously though my base wouldn't be great either. I started running at the very end of 2013 but i had another baby in 2015 so there was a big break there, longer after the baby than i'd hoped, i made a few stop-start attempts to get back when baby was a couple of months but with 2 other kids as well it just wasn't that easy to abandon all 3 even in their dad's very capable hands. The 3rd shook things up to say the least :rolleyes:

I suppose what it really comes down to is your own goals.

Do you have a time goal (sub 4-hr for example) that you'd be disappointed if you don't achieve?

Or maybe you'd be thrilled & proud to just complete it?

Would be happy if you complete it but have to walk portions?

Or are you determined to run it all?

These were some of the questions i asked myself when deciding to do it.

Best of luck whatever you decide and of course you're welcome to stay here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ariana` wrote: »

Interesting to read this.

I have the FR235 and i haven't compared the HR readings to any other device so maybe they are not accurate but they are definitely consistent so i can see the trend. If i do a race it gets close to what i'm guessing my max is, easy runs are in the same range for normal conditions, easy runs on a hot day it's higher than easy runs on a cool day, easy runs the day after a hard run might be a bit higher, easy run with a slight head cold it might be raised a bit etc... Lately i'm seeing my HR slightly lower on easy runs in similar conditions from 2 months ago so this gives me a boost as i feel my aerobic fitness is improving. If i paid out for lab testing of Max HR/VO2 Max and wanted to train with specific HR Zones then i would need to be 100% sure it's accurate but for my needs consistency and trends are more important.

I would say it is consistent but incorrect. Consistent data even if its wrong is valuable in terms of seeing trends, but I certainly wouldnt be using it for HR training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    At this early stage I wouldn't take risks. A rest day will certainly do no harm. Do you use a foam roller? I have found them to be brilliant for little niggles and tightness.

Hi Sean :)

I do have a foam roller or rather I did have one but my kids seem to have lost it! how I do not know as its not that small really, I normally foam roll but have not the last two weeks

ariana I do but will get a new one today I think LOL as mentioned above my kids have made it disappear some how.

I normally do my LSR on a sunday with my husband, I think I will see how it is later this afternoon, I have a little tape on it for support it is not that bad at all it's really a niggle but I want to be careful. I have to go out this morning and will be walking alot so if it starts to bother me, I will rest today and run friday or else a nice recovery run later on,

A question? will walking a lot impact training for a marathon some days I do a lot over 10KM and that does not include when I run as well. sorry if that is a silly question

Hi Sean :)

I do have a foam roller or rather I did have one but my kids seem to have lost it! how I do not know as its not that small really, I normally foam roll but have not the last two weeks

ariana I do but will get a new one today I think LOL as mentioned above my kids have made it disappear some how.
    Kids :rolleyes::pac:

I normally do my LSR on a sunday with my husband, I think I will see how it is later this afternoon, I have a little tape on it for support it is not that bad at all it's really a niggle but I want to be careful. I have to go out this morning and will be walking alot so if it starts to bother me, I will rest today and run friday or else a nice recovery run later on,

Sounds wise :)
    A question? will walking a lot impact training for a marathon some days I do a lot over 10KM and that does not include when I run as well. sorry if that is a silly question

I'll be interested to hear the experts reply. But i expect it'd add to your training as it's cross training and increasing you endurance/time on your feet. But i ain't no expert.

After a tough session, I look fwd to bringing the dog for a walk - it acts as a recovery for the legs and gets the blood flowing to make recovery faster.

If you find yourself walking too much that it acts as a barrier to your running (either through tiredness or 'time'), then you may need to make a choice.

But in general - no - anytime you are active is great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I guess walking is an easier form of endurance training, so it should help. When I started cycling, I noticed a significant improvement in my Parkrun PBs. Also found it easier to increase distance/duration on bike as it's not as tiring as running. Hoping atleast some of it would translate to running endurance as well... Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

So although I'm a day behind because I traveled on Tuesday, I'm still getting the miles in over here and will rest Saturday and LSR on Sunday hopefully.

I don't know what sort of impact it would have on my training but I'm stopping halfway at a shop to get some fluids into me, don't want to take any chances in this heat! Also helps that this is my break spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

ariana` wrote: »
    Mind me asking which 2 local races you signed up for in the end? I think we are both in the West ;)

Also, where did you order your runners from?

I'm doing Ballina Athletic Club's Wild Atlantic 10 miler on 26th August in Ballina, then the Clew Bay Half Marathon on 23rd September in Louisburgh.

I'm not doing the Rock 'n' Roll in Dublin now, which I had thought about, as I'm working that weekend, and making money is more important at the moment than spending it - this marathon lark is very expensive.

The runners came from Amazon in the end, cheapest I could find. Not particularly the colour I wanted, but the really lovely blue and green ones that my heart yearned for were an extra €50. I figure they'll be dirty and scuffed in no time, so not worth paying for that extra bit of loveliness.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    I'm doing Ballina Athletic Club's Wild Atlantic 10 miler on 26th August in Ballina, then the Clew Bay Half Marathon on 23rd September in Louisburgh.

I'm not doing the Rock 'n' Roll in Dublin now, which I had thought about, as I'm working that weekend, and making money is more important at the moment than spending it - this marathon lark is very expensive.

The runners came from Amazon in the end, cheapest I could find. Not particularly the colour I wanted, but the really lovely blue and green ones that my heart yearned for were an extra €50. I figure they'll be dirty and scuffed in no time, so not worth paying for that extra bit of loveliness.

I might see you in Ballina but i won't make Louisburgh. I'm trying to find another suitable half as that weekend is out cos hubby will be away :(

€50 will buy you a fair few pints or whatever your tiple of choice is on Oct 29th next ;)

Advertisement