Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

D3PO wrote: »
    I would say it is consistent but incorrect. Consistent data even if its wrong is valuable in terms of seeing trends, but I certainly wouldnt be using it for HR training.

Thanks D3PO and Ariana' for the advice. Much appreciated

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi Sean :)

I do have a foam roller or rather I did have one but my kids seem to have lost it! how I do not know as its not that small really, I normally foam roll but have not the last two weeks

ariana I do but will get a new one today I think LOL as mentioned above my kids have made it disappear some how.

Backballer is the business if you fancy getting a new one. I love it compared to a regular foam roller..

Foiled at every turn today trying to get a run in....said I'd get up early and run into work...kids had me up half the night and I was glued to the bed and missed my 6:30 start time to run...

So I said I'd run at lunch. Work was mental and had to work through lunch.

So I said that's ok I'll run home...Nope couldn't get out of work on time, was really late and ended up just about making the creche.

So I thought maybe I could take the kids out for a cheeky run in the buggy before bed...not a chance they were just too cranky...hubbie is out tonight so out so can't go out tonight...Them's the breaks I suppose somedays...on a plus slide I have an enforced rest day! Always a rainbow in sight! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Foiled at every turn today trying to get a run in....said I'd get up early and run into work...kids had me up half the night and I was glued to the bed and missed my 6:30 start time to run...

So I said that's ok I'll run home...Nope couldn't get out of work on time, was really late and ended up just about making the creche.

So I thought maybe I could take the kids out for a cheeky run in the buggy before bed...not a chance they were just too cranky...hubbie is out tonight so out so can't go out tonight...Them's the breaks I suppose somedays...on a plus slide I have an enforced rest day! Always a rainbow in sight! :P

Sounds very familiar! Makes you appreciate your time more when you eventually get to escape ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I know I'm a bit early with this but I was just looking at next weeks schedule and noticed the 'hills'. I've never done them nor do I know what I should be doing. What distance? How steep? What effort? How much rest in between each hill? For those of you familiar with the Park would I use a hill like the steep stepped one from the pond at the bottom of the Furry Glen up to the road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

leesider77 wrote: »
    Sounds very familiar! Makes you appreciate your time more when you eventually get to escape ;-)

Finding it really hard myself to get 4 runs a week in , 3 seems doable but running 4 days a week feels like such hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Finding it really hard myself to get 4 runs a week in , 3 seems doable but running 4 days a week feels like such hard work.

Do you mean it feels like work to try find time or it feels like work running four days?

If it's about finding the time, I can't recommend early morning running highly enough, obv if it suits. Gives you such a different perspective on your running too. You're back early from it, have a relaxing breakfast, a shower then off to work, feeling amazing all day. Productivity goes right up too.

As opposed to running in the evening after a stressful day, trying to fit it in around everything else that demands your time.

I'm fairly sure running would border on being a chore for me if I ran in the evenings, whereas now it feels like the most enjoyable thing to do. I'm actually sitting here wishing it wasn't a rest day.

If you mean the running feels like work, that's good, isn't it meant to?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

+1 to morning runs. Such a good way to start the day. That feeling of knowing you've achieved something positive even before you've had your breakfast. That you've ticked off another run, and not have it hanging over you for the rest of the day. Plus, early runs mean less traffic (for those who run on the streets), and cooler weather (for those of us who hate when it's too hot to run).

The downside is that late nights are now a thing of the past. I have to be in bed early to be up early to do the runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I find it difficult squeezing in the runs with no kids and a relatively untaxing workload in terms of hours, so I have huge admiration for yourself, or anybody else on here trying to juggle busy jobs and kids and taking on the comittment to train for a marathon, legends;)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I find it difficult squeezing in the runs with no kids and a relatively untaxing workload in terms of hours, so I have huge admiration for yourself, or anybody else on here trying to juggle busy jobs and kids and taking on the comittment to train for a marathon, legends;)

Seconded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit early with this but I was just looking at next weeks schedule and noticed the 'hills'. I've never done them nor do I know what I should be doing. What distance? How steep? What effort? How much rest in between each hill? For those of you familiar with the Park would I use a hill like the steep stepped one from the pond at the bottom of the Furry Glen up to the road?

Hill sprints are a good excercise to do - the key thing is to not underestimate them.
    To do a good session of hill sprints you need to (after a warm up):

(1) Find a 'steepish' hill (or treadmill set to 6-8% incline)
    (2) Full Sprint up the hill for 8-10 seconds.
    (3) Walk back down very slowly.
    (4) Take an additional 30 or more seconds recovery at the bottom.
    (5) Repeat x 5 as per the plan (no more)

The recovery here is key - you need to be fully recovered to do each repeat.

I know guys who run 2:30 marathons who do 8-10 second hill sprints with a 2 min recovery.

These are effective and if you are not used to strength & conditioning work - you may find your glutes may be a bit sore the next day.

SkyBlue - the stepped hill by the FG pond could work.
    But if you follow the pond path around, there is a nice hill by the trees that leads to the Furze Road.

Also - at the bottom of the Khyber, if you stand looking up the Khyber by the bollards, the hill to your immediate right is also good for these.

I use both of these hills for these type of workouts.

leesider77 wrote: »

Yup sure does...had a lovely 9 miler of freedom this morning!

Congrats to our glorious leader Wubble Wubble on his fantastic Sub20 achievement last night :)

Yeah I know what you mean. It's often the logistics of fitting it into your life more than anything I find. But funnily enough the more of a routine you get into of running more often the more ways I find that you can squeeze one in.

I have found running more often keeps my momentum going as soon as I start to have too many days in a row off I can easily come up with an endless string of excuses not to run and next thing it's been a year since I did any running!

In terms of the morning run thing. Personally in the ideal world for me is to get up laze around have a cuppa some light breakfast. Relax for a while and then go out for a run...and be back early. It's lovely being out on a weekend sunny morning along the seafront with just other runners. I find it really hard getting straight out the of the bed and putting on the running shoes before work. But if I've had a little bit of time to wake up I'm good to go and love having it done early too.

Saying that I also love a run at the end of the day. Not everyone's cup of tea but my other preference is running home from work or running in the evening and processing the day. It kind of clears the head before bed so you don't have all that work nonsense keeping you awake half the night! Then back, shower, into the pj's and some food and chill the beans!

Congrats to our glorious leader Wubble Wubble on his fantastic Sub20 achievement last night :)

Wow well done! Fantastic achievement Wubble Wubble! Go you!:D:D:D

awww shucks...:o:o well I still found it a struggle with no kids so I suppose just depends on the set of circumstances in front of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

In terms of the morning run thing. Personally in the ideal world for me is to get up laze around have a cuppa some light breakfast. Relax for a while and then go out for a run...and be back early. It's lovely being out on a weekend sunny morning along the seafront with just other runners. I find it really hard getting straight out the of the bed and putting on the running shoes before work. But if I've had a little bit of time to wake up I'm good to go and love having it done early too.

Saying that I also love a run at the end of the day. Not everyone's cup of tea but my other preference is running home from work or running in the evening and processing the day. It kind of clears the head before bed so you don't have all that work nonsense keeping you awake half the night! Then back, shower, into the pj's and some food and chill the beans!

Yes, I can't get up and go for a run immediately, I need a coffee and something really light.

Have done two runs in the evening this week, and really enjoyed them, including a 7 mile LSR last night, home after 11pm though, and I wasn't really hungry but, I'm in training, so need to stick with the program, so had my pasta then. Funny how things have turned around, I was always told not to eat just before you go to bed, but I guess that would be if you aren't doing much exercise.

A tough run last night hill wise, some very long, steep hills on the course, I was padding along after 5 miles, in the zone, feeling that I could just keep going forever, until I hit one of the hills, but did the 7 miles no bother - which I know isn't a particularly long LSR, but its whats on the plan. I did a 7 miler in February, a different, much easier course, and average pace was 13:07, and I remember struggling to keep running on that one, last night it was 12:22, and the running felt much easier. So yes, I am much slower than most people in this thread, but am obviously improving, so am happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

After a tough session, I look fwd to bringing the dog for a walk - it acts as a recovery for the legs and gets the blood flowing to make recovery faster.

If you find yourself walking too much that it acts as a barrier to your running (either through tiredness or 'time'), then you may need to make a choice.

But in general - no - anytime you are active is great

Thanks for that :D for now I am ok but it would be easy to pull back on walking so my running is not affected. I managed to get out for my planned run and all went well till I stopped and had pain in left leg I am afraid it is shin splint :eek: hoping it is just a pulled muscle, I am icing it and have support on. But strangely it hurts when I try walk down stairs other wise I am ok to walk on it. good news calf is great after foam rolling :)
    I plan to rest today and cross train tomorrow and long run on on Sunday once leg is ok
    positron wrote: »
    I guess walking is an easier form of endurance training, so it should help. When I started cycling, I noticed a significant improvement in my Parkrun PBs. Also found it easier to increase distance/duration on bike as it's not as tiring as running. Hoping at least some of it would translate to running endurance as well... Only time will tell.

I started cycling a few months back and love it, we are doing some cycling and running sessions at the minute as my husband and I have a few events coming up soon, all of which were planned before I set my sights on DCM :D
    But I also have noticed a huge benefit to my running from cycling
    Backballer is the business if you fancy getting a new one. I love it compared to a regular foam roller..

I have heard great things about it I must add it to my ever expanding list of things I love to get for running! :)

Well done muddypaws, isn't it such a great feeling seeing the benefits already.

A warrior out running until 11pm :)

Hill sprints are a good excercise to do - the key thing is to not underestimate them.
    To do a good session of hill sprints you need to (after a warm up):

(1) Find a 'steepish' hill (or treadmill set to 6-8% incline)
    (2) Full Sprint up the hill for 8-10 seconds.
    (3) Walk back down very slowly.
    (4) Take an additional 30 or more seconds recovery at the bottom.
    (5) Repeat x 5 as per the plan (no more)

The recovery here is key - you need to be fully recovered to do each repeat.

I know guys who run 2:30 marathons who do 8-10 second hill sprints with a 2 min recovery.

These are effective and if you are not used to strength & conditioning work - you may find your glutes may be a bit sore the next day.

SkyBlue - the stepped hill by the FG pond could work.
    But if you follow the pond path around, there is a nice hill by the trees that leads to the Furze Road.

Also - at the bottom of the Khyber, if you stand looking up the Khyber by the bollards, the hill to your immediate right is also good for these.

I use both of these hills for these type of workouts.
    That's great to know, thanks. I know those roads alright so I'll try them on Wednesday next. I think I ran down that hill at the Khyber today before crossing the road and going up by the Magazine Fort. Took your advice re long run pace and picked it up a bit. Did 14 miles this morning at 9.43 pace. I felt it a bit towards the end but that's probably to do with doing 2 long runs and the MP run in 5 days. Working this weekend so wouldn't be able for it after working 4am to 12 shifts. Plenty of time to recover before hill reps on Wednesday. ��

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's great to know, thanks. I know those roads alright so I'll try them on Wednesday next. I think I ran down that hill at the Khyber today before crossing the road and going up by the Magazine Fort. Took your advice re long run pace and picked it up a bit. Did 14 miles this morning at 9.43 pace. I felt it a bit towards the end but that's probably to do with doing 2 long runs and the MP run in 5 days. Working this weekend so wouldn't be able for it after working 4am to 12 shifts. Plenty of time to recover before hill reps on Wednesday. ��

Nice work on the 14miles - your strava shows that your HR was well in check, despite you doing more than half the marathon distance at only 30-40s faster than a 3:59 pace - with 16 fell weeks left :):)

Dont worry too much about the Hill sprints - they so are short and they'll feel like nothing at the time, so its easy to under estimate them - but you may feel it the next day (hopefully not).

Nice work on the 14miles - your strava shows that your HR was well in check, despite you doing more than half the marathon distance at only 30-40s faster than a 3:59 pace - with 16 fell weeks left :):)

Dont worry too much about the Hill sprints - they so are short and they'll feel like nothing at the time, so its easy to under estimate them - but you may feel it the next day (hopefully not).

Before anyone gets too excited it was 40 seconds per mile SLOWER than 3:59 pace!!! ������

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

podgec10 wrote: »
    I have finally convinced myself with the help of my wife (ran in 2014(3:54!!!)) to register for Dublin marathon. I couldn’t sleep on Monday night so at about 1:30am I took the plunge and registered. I’m a long time lurker here on A/R, kept up-to-date with this thread last year and got very excited when I saw this one start this year. Although I had a very bad winter as December and Jan were lost due to chest infection and asthma issues and a small operation on my foot (cosmetic I’m vain like that) ruled out Feb and most of March. I did circuits twice per week, cycled twice per week and ran parkrun on Saturday for 8 weeks in April and May. Did a sprint tri in June and decided I just prefer running.
    I’m not technically a novice but I am a DCM novice and I really liked this thread last year. I hope to get involved as best I can but I live in West Cork (I know lucky me!!) and train on my own mostly so I going to try to use this as my club to keep me going, keep focused and keep the main thing the main thing.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k – John Buckley sports May 2016 – 18:45
    10k – Courtmacsherry June 2016 – 39:13 (trained for this specifically)
    10k – Courtmacsherry June 2017 – 41:10 (last friday and felt good, finishing strong and fast)
    Half Marathon – Charleville Sep 2016 – 1:30:06 (didn’t train properly for this) lots of pain for last 5K
    Marathon – Killarney Lakes May 2015 – 3:39

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No
    How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    I like to keep fairly fit all the time. Numerous triathlons, adv races. I love to swim and I like to cycle but just can't get the real love for it but always comes back to running in the end. It so accessible and convenient.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Follow the plan, make the start line, make the finish line, beat 3:39, sub 3:20. All of these in this order!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I plan to train 5 (runs) to 6 (+1 cross train) days a week. I have started to use the HH Inter 1 plan. I very loosely followed HH mar3 plan previously but I’m not very good at following plans so the main thing for me this year is to follow a plan, any plan and I’m sure things will go well.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I want to experience Dublin marathon with the crowds and nearly 20,000 runners. it'll be amazing!
    I didn’t follow the plan correctly for my first marathon, it was Killarney lakes marathon May 2015. Very small crowd and while the first 21 miles were solid 3:30 pace with the pacer, I lost 9 mins over the last 5.2 miles. I needed to run more and follow a plan correctly.

Good luck to everyone.

Belated welcome podgec10! Some great times there already, and still plenty of room to improve I suspect.

In relation to AMK's earlier suggestion regarding marathon plans, I don't know if you found something a bit tougher than HHN1 or Boards in the meantime.

Either way, these might be of interest, or perhaps Pfitzinger & Douglas Advanced Marathoning, if you're familiar with their work.

Trust me, it will be worth the extra effort, as the support in Dublin is incredible and you'll really appreciate it, particularly in those last few testing miles. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

EDIT: Just saw post #1007 regarding training plans. Same rules apply regarding Asics/P & D though.

drkpower wrote: »
    Hello all; have been lurking for a while but is time to come out of the shadows....

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

Yes;
    10M - April 17 1.14.36
    10K - April 17 44.59
    5k - (Parkrun) May 2017 20.58

Haven't done a HM before so first one is in the race series.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Since January 17, have done an average of 25k per week (2/3/4 runs per week) [before that i was a semi regular parkrunner, with an annual 10k somewhere, and a 100k cycle somewhere else with a bit of training in the lead-up, but that was about the height of it]
    I am now in week 2 of a 'modified' Boards plan (basically 4 midweek runs home from work (4m) with a LSR at the weekend). All going fine so far.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream is sub 3.40 (and in perhaps a moment of madness, when i signed up to the DCM, i signed up to the 3.40 group)
    More realistically, i want to (a) just do it and (b) do it sub 4 hrs

I figure ill make a more concrete plan after the HM in September.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

4 + 1: 4 midweeks plus a LSR at the weekends (with possibly a 6th run in a good week)
    [slightly] 'Modified' Boards 2017 plan

Why are you running this marathon?

This is the first time i have put really sustained effort into running, without hating it.... So i figure i would be mad to let that momentum slip without trying to do a marathon. From March through May i had 8 PBs in a row in the Parkruns, and the sense of achievement and progress was amazing; i have dropped the parkruns now (except at the end of a LSR once the Lions series is over...) but im looking forward (hopefully) to that same sense of satisfaction with incremental progress with each LSR (and yes, i fully appreciate there will be no 'satisfaction' involved whatsoever once i start getting into 13 mile plus territory...!)

It also looks like just an incredible experience generally. I went out to catch a glimpse of my brother doing the DCM a couple of years back with my daughter and i was struck by the amount of support that was around generally (i was around blackhall place and expected there to be noone there, but the crowds were deep even there). Also, I can only imagine the feeling (aside from pain) you must get in the last stretch where u can actually see the finishing line.

Welcome drkpower! Those PBs are not far off my own, and hence I'll be following with particular interest :)

I've run a far few parkruns myself, although of late I haven't been getting to as many as I'd like. You seem to have the right idea for the next while, in relation to using them to finish off LSRs. Another thing you could do is use your parkruns as sessions, rather than racing flat out. It's great to have them, and of course they're free :D

In relation to the text I've emphasised, I would argue the opposite. Personally, I felt a great sense of achievement last year in completing 19/20 mile LSRs in the pouring rain. It may sound like the stuff of nightmares at the moment, but the training plans are designed to build your stamina up gradually, so by the time you reach that stage, it won't seem remotely as daunting to you. Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Doing some serious mathematical gymnastics here trying to figure out how to finish my 10 miler at parkrun tomorrow. :)

quickbeam wrote: »
    +1 to morning runs. Such a good way to start the day. That feeling of knowing you've achieved something positive even before you've had your breakfast. That you've ticked off another run, and not have it hanging over you for the rest of the day. Plus, early runs mean less traffic (for those who run on the streets), and cooler weather (for those of us who hate when it's too hot to run).

The downside is that late nights are now a thing of the past. I have to be in bed early to be up early to do the runs.

Great post quickbeam! Any decision on signing up?

Go on, you know you want to :D

So many others on this forum and elsewhere have been in your position over the years. Yet the overriding feeling for most who have gone through it is that of an amazing sense of achievement; that they have followed a training plan, which has left them feeling better mentally and physically, finished off with the incredible experience of the Dublin Marathon.

But if you choose not to sign up, feel free to stick around and contribute :)

Nice one, about time I started backing it up in races :pac:

Lazare wrote: »
    Doing some serious mathematical gymnastics here trying to figure out how to finish my 10 miler at parkrun tomorrow. :)

All part of the fun of it :pac: plus depending on where you're based, you may get the opportunity to be creative and try out a new route.

All part of the fun of it :pac: plus depending on where you're based, you may get the opportunity to be creative and try out a new route.

My 'local' parkrun is Griffeen, to run there, do it and run home is exactly a half marathon, but the roads are too dangerous unfortunately, I would've definitely done that next week otherwise.

I'm thinking of driving there tomorrow early, heading off towards Lucan village, maybe along the river before doubling back to finish by doing parkrun.

Just trying to figure it all out. You're right, it's fun. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    My 'local' parkrun is Griffeen, to run there, do it and run home is exactly a half marathon, but the roads are too dangerous unfortunately, I would've definitely done that next week otherwise.

I'm thinking of driving there tomorrow early, heading off towards Lucan village, maybe along the river before doubling back to finish by doing parkrun.

Just trying to figure it all out. You're right, it's fun. :)

You may have seen this all ready https://www.plotaroute.com/routeplanner but if not it may help working out your route and distance :)

Advertisement