Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Kmagic wrote: »
    Week 8 (HHN1) report

Mon- day job/rest day

Tue- 3 miles 27:00 Quickest I've ever run. I know i could not sustain it over much more that 3 miles at the minute but a nice little test for myself.

Wed- 6.2 miles in 1:00:17 got a bit of a niggle in my hamstring about half way, an old grade one tear i never got treated properly back when it happened, stopped and massaged it out, felt okay after (but a sign of things to come, more later).

Thurs- day job/rest day

Friday- 3miles in 28.20 slight back pain starting out but slowed down and the body fixed it for me.

Sat- full rest day

Sunday- Half marathon, Cahir, Co. Tipperary. I'll start by saying fair play to Mooreabbey Milers AC on the organising. Plenty of water along the way and everyting seemed to go well. As for my race . . .

I decided, first ever race, go slow, enjoy it, no matter what it will be a PB, something to build on. Parked my car, collected my bib/number, hung around for an hour and headed to the start. Five minutes to race time, clouds parted and we get glorious sunshine, uh oh.

Race started and i was out the back, knew id be 2+ hours so said I'd stay out of the way of "real runners". Three people i could see doing the HM pushing buggies, and myself and a few others. Starters horn blew, and off we went.

First few miles were slow, like i planned, but i felt okay. Bit of banter with another runner, as ya do. Exactly at the 6 mile marker, the previously mentioned hamstring started to twinge, stopped and rubbed it out for 30 seconds, felt okay for about a mile, but again needed to stop and rub it out. This pattern repeated until the finish.

I drank so much water by mile 8 my tummy was a bit upset, so that coupled with the heat and my hamstring made the final 5 miles the worst I've ever felt running. Also needed a lot of walking breaks which was a first.

Also, and it might just have been how i felt with the sun and everything else but the first 12 miles felt all up hill.

I was never more glad to finish a run and get out of there. I dont know my time, I'll find it when results go up on line.

My major take aways.

1. I do my 3 mid week runs on a hilly stretch of road, not crazy hills, but i thought it was enough. I do my LSR on a flat surface. Possibly my LSR route is too easy and did not prepare me at all for this HM.

2. I try to do my LSR early in the morning 6 or 7 am, to avoid the heat, another thing that went against me i feel today.

I'd suggest to others to try out as many testing conditions as you can so that you will be better prepared for your runs than i was.

At this point I'm questioning my life choices that lead to this point, but know I'll probably be ready to go again come Tuesday.

Off now for a big dirty Domino's and celebratory can of Coke. :-)

I believe having a bad/tough race where things do not go to plan in training is not a bad thing , for me it was last year's Frank Duffy 10 mile, it was a nightmare f, I was struggling from 2 miles in and on a walk/run strategy from 5 . I questioned myself too but stuck with the plan and the next race went much better.

The day of the marathon I stated cramping up from 16 miles in and i believe what I learned in the frank duffy stood to me and got me home.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

The Muppet wrote:
    The day of the marathon I stated cramping up from 16 miles in and i believe what I learned in the frank duffy stood to me and got me home.

Lets hope so!!!

Got my long run done this morning, quite tired now. Anyone any tips of how to get some energy back for the rest of the day? I know if I sit down for a bit I'll probably just fall asleep, and if I need to go into town or anything in the afternoon I'll just be shattered.

I felt that way after my first 10 miler, needed a nap, and then 12 miler, i was tired but no nap. But after my next 12 miler i was okay, and after my HM today, no nap. Maybe its just something that wears off over time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My report for the week:

Monday - LSR - 13.91km at 7:48. Had intended to do only 13km, but as I was nearing the finish I was still 300m short according to Garmin watch (route had been planned via MPR and Google Maps which had it at exactly 13km), and being a tad OCD, I didn't want to leave the run "short" so ran around the green once to take it to closer to 14km. No issues in general with the run, felt mostly comfortable throughout.

Tuesday - about 800m slow swimming as cross training, first time out doing that in years and years, so was a bit rusty, but figured I needed to vary things up a bit so did that while I had the time available for it.

Wednesday - 5.13km at 7:08

Thursday - 6.38km leisurely walk

Friday - 5.23km at 7:08

Saturday - Parkrun at 6:49 pace

Sunday - rest

Plan for next week is to do 14km before stepping it back the week after for the Fingal 10K. I don't foresee a problem with 14km considering I nearly (unintentionally) did that already this week. If I do do it (planned for tomorrow), I've promised myself I'll sign up for the DCM that evening. It's a decent milestone, being one-third of a marathon. So should give me the confidence I need to sign up at last, before it sells out.

A huge thanks to everybody who encouraged me. I'll say no more for the moment but report back once the application is officially submitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Week 8 (HHN1) report

Mon- day job/rest day

Tue- 3 miles 27:00 Quickest I've ever run. I know i could not sustain it over much more that 3 miles at the minute but a nice little test for myself.

Wed- 6.2 miles in 1:00:17 got a bit of a niggle in my hamstring about half way, an old grade one tear i never got treated properly back when it happened, stopped and massaged it out, felt okay after (but a sign of things to come, more later).

Thurs- day job/rest day

Friday- 3miles in 28.20 slight back pain starting out but slowed down and the body fixed it for me.

Sat- full rest day

Sunday- Half marathon, Cahir, Co. Tipperary. I'll start by saying fair play to Mooreabbey Milers AC on the organising. Plenty of water along the way and everyting seemed to go well. As for my race . . .

I decided, first ever race, go slow, enjoy it, no matter what it will be a PB, something to build on. Parked my car, collected my bib/number, hung around for an hour and headed to the start. Five minutes to race time, clouds parted and we get glorious sunshine, uh oh.

Race started and i was out the back, knew id be 2+ hours so said I'd stay out of the way of "real runners". Three people i could see doing the HM pushing buggies, and myself and a few others. Starters horn blew, and off we went.

First few miles were slow, like i planned, but i felt okay. Bit of banter with another runner, as ya do. Exactly at the 6 mile marker, the previously mentioned hamstring started to twinge, stopped and rubbed it out for 30 seconds, felt okay for about a mile, but again needed to stop and rub it out. This pattern repeated until the finish.

I drank so much water by mile 8 my tummy was a bit upset, so that coupled with the heat and my hamstring made the final 5 miles the worst I've ever felt running. Also needed a lot of walking breaks which was a first.

Also, and it might just have been how i felt with the sun and everything else but the first 12 miles felt all up hill.

I was never more glad to finish a run and get out of there. I dont know my time, I'll find it when results go up on line.

My major take aways.

1. I do my 3 mid week runs on a hilly stretch of road, not crazy hills, but i thought it was enough. I do my LSR on a flat surface. Possibly my LSR route is too easy and did not prepare me at all for this HM.

2. I try to do my LSR early in the morning 6 or 7 am, to avoid the heat, another thing that went against me i feel today.

I'd suggest to others to try out as many testing conditions as you can so that you will be better prepared for your runs than i was.

At this point I'm questioning my life choices that lead to this point, but know I'll probably be ready to go again come Tuesday.

Sorry to hear you'd a tough race. Just a few questions and hopefully we might be able to get to the bottom of this. I had a look through your post history on this thread(some stalker:D) and see you recurringly mention water and that it also caused you issues today. How much water did you drink before the race and during it roughly?

Heat can definitely be an issue and something that needs to be taken into consideration when pacing yourself, what pace did you start the race at today?

How long have you being Running for?

• Advertisement

El Caballo wrote:
    Sorry to hear you'd a tough race. Just a few questions and hopefully we might be able to get to the bottom of this. I had a look through your post history on this thread(some stalker ) and see you recurringly mention water and that it also caused you issues today. How much water did you drink before the race and during it roughly?

Had 500mls and a glass of beetroot juice before. Maybe drank about 1 ltr while running, 500 mls up to mile 7 and 500mls after this, roughly.

El Caballo wrote:
    Heat can definitely be an issue and something that needs to be taken into consideration when pacing yourself, what pace did you start the race at today?

I think about 10:30/ mile starting off but after mile 6 and my hamstring and walk run, my pacing was all over the place. So cant guess but i finished just under 2:23, times just uploaded.

El Caballo wrote:
    How long have you being Running for?

Tricky this one. I tried running in 2013, did a few months and was stopped by my hamstring. That repeated itself a few times over the years. I played astro and basketball a bit during this time and never had hamstring issues really playing those, just running 10k 3 times a week seemed to be too much for me.

Then from this year, i was doing maybe 2 5ks a week in jan/feb, maybe 2 5ks and a 10k a week in april and then started the marathon plan 8 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How much water does one drink before a lsr ? 'loading up ' now but not sure how much I should drink... I'm sure it depends on physique but in general ?.

Also the idea of eating a banana during it ?.

Someone told me the other day that we should be taking electrolytes before LSR too, don't know if that's correct info though, I always drink it after!

Was starving during my LSR yesterday and ended up eating my post run banana half way through, wouldn't have been able to complete it without some food!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Weekly update for me. My first week of a 17 week plan, and it was a pretty good one for me. I got my midweek session done and my longest long run to date, along with running easy 4 of the other days.

Midweek session was 8*800 in in about 3 minutes and 15 seconds, with equal (jogging) rest. I was very happy with my splits for this, ranging from 3:18 for the first one, and gradually getting quicker to a 3:05 for the last one. I was pushing it for them all (obviously), but I never felt 'on the brink' and never felt that I couldn't do another.

Then a long run of 15 miles this morning, which was tough (my longest before was 13 miles). I didn't eat too well yesterday and when I woke up this morning I was starving, so I don't think that really helped.

All in all 40 miles for the week, so a good start to the plan.

Hope everyone else's weeks went well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Savage session today AMK, wowzers.

What sort of time are you aiming for?

Week 2 report!

Monday: strength & conditioning video

Tuesday: 3 miles (pace 9.46)

Wednesday: 5 miles (pace 9.02) & 1.6 miles cooldown (10.28)

Saturday: 10 miles (pace 10.49)

Learnt loads this week!
    My Wednesday training went great and my fifth mile was my fastest ever mile (8.20 pace) delighted with myself!!
    However pushing too hard on Wednesday combined with missing training on Thursday & Friday (family emergency) and missing meals also on thurs or fri led to an exhausting 10 miles yesterday. My legs were ssooooo tired, I was starving and thirsty and I thought I'd never be finished. Even today I was still tired. I have now realised how important nutrition is and also not to go over the top on my Wednesday run, not so early in the plan anyway!
    I managed to get on the bike for 40mins today and I did some foam rolling as well so legs feel a little better now. Looking forward to week 3!

• Advertisement

Hey Lazare, where are you planning on doing your hill sprints this week? I'm in lucan too and am looking for a good spot, was thinking maybe the hill going into the domain near McDonald's there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hey Lazare, where are you planning on doing your hill sprints this week? I'm in lucan too and am looking for a good spot, was thinking maybe the hill going into the domain near McDonald's there

I actually live in Newcastle, there's two options for me for hills, although I think one of them isn't suitable, where the road out of Newcastle rises up to the N7 junction. I've done some there before but I think it might just be a little long at 200m. There's another option for me at the first Greenogue roundabout.

Are you talking about from the N4 junction up towards SuperValu/McDonalds?

What about further on down, that road that leads from the N4 down to Lucan village. Maybe starting halfway up it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There are loads of steep spots in St. Catherine's that I always thought might suit if I ever start training in hill runs. The run up to the dog run always appealed. But then, I haven't researched much in to it so it may be too steep/shallow, long/short, or whatever. But maybe to be considered?

Lazare wrote: »
    I actually live in Newcastle, there's two options for me for hills, although I think one of them isn't suitable, where the road out of Newcastle rises up to the N7 junction. I've done some there before but I think it might just be a little long at 200m. There's another option for me at the first Greenogue roundabout.

Are you talking about from the N4 junction up towards SuperValu/McDonalds?

What about further on down, that road that leads from the N4 down to Lucan village. Maybe starting halfway up it.

Thanks Lazare, I was talking about the hill going into Catherine's Park from the Lucan side but now that you mention it maybe that slip road going into the village from leixlip might be better, it's a bit longer

quickbeam wrote: »
    There are loads of steep spots in St. Catherine's that I always thought might suit if I ever start training in hill runs. The run up to the dog run always appealed. But then, I haven't researched much in to it so it may be too steep/shallow, long/short, or whatever. But maybe to be considered?

I tried running up that before, very slowly, and it nearly killed me!! But I wasn't as fit then! It is quite long for a sprint and bendy, the one into the forest trail might be good too but can be a bit lonely down there in the evenings.
    I think Auldmanking said sprint for 10 seconds up the hill, so it doesn't have to be very long (correct me if I'm wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

leesider77 wrote: »
    Getting my week 2 report in early as have a crazy busy day today and will be on airplanes all day tomorrow.

Felt good all week - trying to be careful to stick to the plan and not to do too much as determined not to risk any injuries. Saying that I'm a week ahead of the plan - trying to give myself a buffer just in case. Really hope I never need it.

3.1 miles @ 9.5
    4.4 miles @ 10.3 ( included a few hills)
    3.1 miles @ 9.4
    9.2 miles @ 10.4 ( had some adult beverages last night so made it harder for myself than needed but didn't feel too bad considering - won't be able to get away with this too much longer though I'd say!)

So settling into my routine of 2 fast(ish) short runs, another short run that takes in some hills and my long slow run at the weekend.

Don't know what I'll be able to fit in next week as I'm away with work and have very long days but will do my best! Hope everyone had a good week!

Good work there. Bits in bold are examples of why it's sometimes good to have a buffer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I tried running up that before, very slowly, and it nearly killed me!! But I wasn't as fit then! It is quite long for a sprint and bendy, the one into the forest trail might be good too but can be a bit lonely down there in the evenings.
    I think Auldmanking said sprint for 10 seconds up the hill, so it doesn't have to be very long (correct me if I'm wrong!)
    Yes he told me 8-10 seconds for the hill sprints. I'm going to use that hill in the Park.

Week 2
    Decided this will be a step-back week , I don't want running to become hard work and if I feel like I have to do something i'll get annoyed and not do it properly.
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 1k warmup/ 5k at 4.15 pace/ 2k warm down (this was a tough session)
    Wednesday - cycled to work 15k / ran home 15k at 5.35 pace ( warm but easy running)
    Thursday - cycled 30k went hard from start 1hour
    Friday- cycled 15k to work / cycled 35k up over howth on way home ( did the evening cycle 100% effort)
    Saturday - ran to parkrun / tried to run parkrun at controlled pace 19.29 (felt like I could have easily upped pace anytime) ran home 16k total
    Sunday - plan is an easy 10k

Total for week will be 45k running and 95k cycling

This is a fairly typical week , next week i'll try get up to 55k running and then hopefully the following week break 40 (long time goal ) at Fingal , i'll need some advice on how to taper for Fingal ( do you need to taper for a 10k race?
    Thanks for all advice in thread its invaluable reading every evening, best of look to everyone in there training and congrats to those that ran PB's in Docklands.

This is a good thing ; that and the fact that you didn't up the pace. What was your pace on the run home from the parkrun?

In relation to tapering for the 10k, the plans have an extra rest day included. Basically, for those lining up, the race is replacing the LSR that weekend.

Made all my miles this week, despite having a cold and not being good for much Monday and Tuesday. Meant I had to run 4 days in a row but legs felt ok for the most part.

Am on hols from this day next week. Will be spending a week hiking in the Swiss alps so no running that week but a week chilling out where I will hit the roads again

Well done, not used to running 4 days in a row but sometimes it just has to be done.

Enjoy the holidays! I imagine hiking in Switzerland for a week will make sure that the legs (and the lungs?) will be kept fairly busy :)

Lazare wrote: »
    Week 2 report.

Went to the gym session again on Monday morning, worked on back, biceps and legs, all medium intensity stuff, I was happy to start doing some work to strengthen the glutes.

I don't know whether it was the leg work or the roughish sleep I had Mon night (have a 2 year old that loves nothing more than getting out of her bed at 4am to poke me in the eye) but I was about 20 seconds slower than last week with the same effort on the 3 mile easy. It would have bothered me had it not of been for AMK's great post about the ebbs and flows of your energy levels, and that it doesn't matter if you're slow one week and quicker the next, all that matters is the effort.

Wednesday's pace run was similar, was 8 seconds off target pace. A very enjoyable session and again no worries about not hitting the target.

Thursday called for a 3m recovery run but I ran it easy.

The standout run of the week and by far the most enjoyable was today's 10 mile LSR. What a buzz afterwards, still swimming in the endorphins.

I set out to try time it that I finished it at Griffeen parkrun. Planning a 6:15 pace (km (obv)) I arrived at Griffeen at 8:15 am, did some dynamic stretching and set off in the direction of Lucan village with the intention of running 5.5k then turning back. Headed out past the weir, up the hill at Laraghon which was a test, out the Clonee back road to the canal, then 1.5k up and back on trail before turning around and heading back.

Timed it almost perfectly, arrived back at Griffeen at 9:26, ran up and down the warm up area then joined the back of the pack. I fell in with a girl I know and ran along at her pace chatting, copped the watch then and I was running at almost MP. Ran at that pace until the last 800m or so then made a bolt and ran at 5k pace.

Felt absolutely awesome afterwards. Last week I began to fatigue at the 7k mark, didn't feel like it at any stage today, felt so strong throughout. Maybe the four days in a row last week was to blame for that.

Top o the world ma.

Hope you all enjoyed your week too.

Super week's work there, well done! I've never run up that hill before, must try it some time :D
    Seems like one of those days where everything just clicked into place. Keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    No pacers as far as I know. Trust your watch and go at your own pace. My first race was only 2 years ago and I have only run 7 so far despite my half century of years. They are a proper buzz, enjoy it!!

Definitely no pacers for this one. I've run it for the last 4 years in a row, and I'm going again in the next one. Unfortunately, the Race Series only has pacers for the half and the full.

Just noticed on the official FB page that they've only 1,000 places left for DCM. Sign up, sign up, SIGN UP!!!! :D

choons wrote: »
    Also doing the 10k and will be my first proper race!

Slightly ahead of a rough copy of HHN1. Feels like I could be doing way more but advice seems to be to take it easy, any advice there?

I'd say stick to what you're doing for the moment, once it feels comfortable. It may seem ridiculously easy as of now, but note that HHN1 weekly mileage shoots up around the halfway mark. Best of luck.

Hi, long time lurker here coming out into the open and hitching my cart to the Novices wagon!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Raheny 5 Mile Jan 2017 -37:43
    Great Ireland run 10k April 2016 - 49:11
    Trim 10 Mile - February 2017 - 1:19:22
    Half Marathon - River moy 1/2 marathon May 2016 - 1:48:56
    Half Marathon - Achill half marathon July 2017 -1:55 (those hills....)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Nope

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Run 4 times a week and go to the gym 2 days a week.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Goal A: Finish it!
    The dream goal is sub 4 hours.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I can run 4 days a week and plan on going to the gym 2 days a week.

I'm planning on loosely following the Boards plan.

Why are you running this marathon?

2 years ago I weighed just over 18 stone. I managed to get my head out of the sand and have spent the last 2 years transforming my life and my health both physical and mental. Running has played a massive part in the journey and I've grown to love it. Never thought I could run 5k. Now i want to nail this marathon.

Hi RolandDeschain,

Welcome on board, excellent post! Time for the rest of ye lads and ladies to stop lurking in the long grass, thinking we can't find you :D

Great times for someone not running that long. And from what I heard, there's no shame in a 6-7 minute difference between Moy and Achill! What pace are you currently running your training runs at ?

Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm getting the idea that it's all part of a process. We are training for a marathon, not a half. I had my eyes opened last night when I read through the 2016 novices thread. Those who targeted 4 hours struggled. It has made me reevaluate and just hope to get around!!

Surely not the entire thread? :D

Joking aside, I would recommend you all have a read of at least some of last year's thread if time allows. It gives an excellent summary of what we went through in the buildup to DCM 2016, and of course all the trials and tribulations of the day itself :)

Omeceron wrote: »
    Week 2. LSR of 2 hours. Stashed some water at mile 7 and had some jellys for the last 30 mins. Went down well. Knee felt a bit inflamed for the last 10 mins and continued into the night.

Was tempted to give the recovery run today a miss but a bit of foam rolling on hamstring and glutes helped a lot. Walked for about a half hour after the run and feels fine now.

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest |
    Tue | 4.25 Miles Easy | 10:36
    Wed | 5 Miles inc 3 @ Pace | 10:13
    Thu | 4.33 Miles Recovery| 10:23
    Fri | Rest |
    Sat | 11 Miles LSR | 10:50
    Sun | 2.25 Miles Recovery | 10:37

Nice work! Good idea on stashing the water, especially if you don't have a water belt, as those bottles can be awkward to carry around.

Keep an eye on the knee. You've just reminded me that I never bothered foam rolling after my run this morning, like I was supposed to :pac:

Week 8 (HHN1) report

Mon- day job/rest day

Thurs- day job/rest day

Sat- full rest day

My major take aways.

Well done on getting through it, seems like it was a baptism of fire!
    I "had to" stop in my first HM, which at least didn't have any major hills in it :rolleyes: all part of the learning curve of racing! (although that wasn't my first actual race)

We're rarely going to have perfect racing conditions....the joys of living in Ireland :D Even DCM 2014 itself was a ridiculously warm day which affected an awful lot of runners.

Hope you enjoyed the Dominos and Coke :D see you back in the game next week!

Got my long run done this morning, quite tired now. Anyone any tips of how to get some energy back for the rest of the day? I know if I sit down for a bit I'll probably just fall asleep, and if I need to go into town or anything in the afternoon I'll just be shattered.

Snap! I've been like that most of the day; got home from my long run at 10 o'clock, and the rest of the day I've been basically zonked :D It happens sometimes, I wouldn't worry too much about it for now :)

quickbeam wrote: »
    My report for the week:

Monday - LSR - 13.91km at 7:48. Had intended to do only 13km, but as I was nearing the finish I was still 300m short according to Garmin watch (route had been planned via MPR and Google Maps which had it at exactly 13km), and being a tad OCD, I didn't want to leave the run "short" so ran around the green once to take it to closer to 14km. No issues in general with the run, felt mostly comfortable throughout.

Tuesday - about 800m slow swimming as cross training, first time out doing that in years and years, so was a bit rusty, but figured I needed to vary things up a bit so did that while I had the time available for it.

Wednesday - 5.13km at 7:08

Thursday - 6.38km leisurely walk

Friday - 5.23km at 7:08

Saturday - Parkrun at 6:49 pace

Sunday - rest

Plan for next week is to do 14km before stepping it back the week after for the Fingal 10K. I don't foresee a problem with 14km considering I nearly (unintentionally) did that already this week. If I do do it (planned for tomorrow), I've promised myself I'll sign up for the DCM that evening. It's a decent milestone, being one-third of a marathon. So should give me the confidence I need to sign up at last, before it sells out.

A huge thanks to everybody who encouraged me. I'll say no more for the moment but report back once the application is officially submitted.

Good work there quickbeam, and bonus points for not leaving the run "short" :D how did you find doing the parkrun at that pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

This week's news!

Monday - Circuit training = very hard

Tuesday - 5k run 27:13 5:26/km hilly = very stiff and sore
    Wednesday - 8.7k run 44:53 5:11/km
    Thursday - 5.2k run 5:01/km

Friday - rest with homemade pizza and Rioja (yummy) an open bottle of wine, is an open bottle of red to be kept in the fridge????

Saturday - 8.4k 42:41 5:04/km
    Sunday - 14.5k 1:15:40 5:13/km prob a little quick as ran with a friend who is very fit.

In other news! Thanks to wubble and amk for their input this week on plans. I don't know what plan to follow. Didn't get much chance to study them over this weekend but hopefully I will early this week.

• Advertisement

Weekly update for me. My first week of a 17 week plan, and it was a pretty good one for me. I got my midweek session done and my longest long run to date, along with running easy 4 of the other days.

Midweek session was 8*800 in in about 3 minutes and 15 seconds, with equal (jogging) rest. I was very happy with my splits for this, ranging from 3:18 for the first one, and gradually getting quicker to a 3:05 for the last one. I was pushing it for them all (obviously), but I never felt 'on the brink' and never felt that I couldn't do another.

Then a long run of 15 miles this morning, which was tough (my longest before was 13 miles). I didn't eat too well yesterday and when I woke up this morning I was starving, so I don't think that really helped.

All in all 40 miles for the week, so a good start to the plan.

Hope everyone else's weeks went well.

Excellent work this week BK. That's a very good session to have under the belt, especially once you keep the times fairly consistent.

Advertisement