Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

With impatience etc, I decided to go against physios orders and run the docklands last Thurs. Ran 20.30 which was a pb and injury felt no worse afterwards.

Went out LSR on sat morning and did 10.5m @ 9.29 , including a stop for a couple of mins at a shop.

Going to just try to manage the injury and run when I feel ok, rest when I don't. But do my best to keep up the LSR's. Will make a decision in a couple of months then whether the DCM is viable or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow you have all been busy, i go offline for just a couple of days and i have pages and pages to read back :eek:
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I've signed up :)

Brilliant :)
    muddypaws wrote: »
    Woohoo well done, that's brilliant.

My backballer arrived today, looking forward to a session later on.

Let us know how you find it, i have a foam roller but wonder if it's worth upgrading ;)
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just wondering should the 5 miles before the hills on Wednesday be easy or at PMP?

I asked this question previously and AMK said where the pace isn't specified to assume 'easy' pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    Wow you have all been busy, i go offline for just a couple of days and i have pages and pages to read back :eek:

Brilliant :)

Let us know how you find it, i have a foam roller but wonder if it's worth upgrading ;)

I asked this question previously and AMK said where the pace isn't specified to assume 'easy' pace.

I missed the colour coding on the plan though. Apologies.
    Purple does indicate PMP and there is only 1 set of hills in the whole plan.
    I now think it is PMP.

Lets wait on WW to confirm.

So my week 2 update

Mon: 5k/3m easy: avg pace 6:07min/km, avg hr 139
    Tues: 8km/5m @ pmp: avg pace 5:39min/km, avg hr 153
    Wed: 5k/3m rec: avg pace 6:56min/km, avg hr 132
    Thurs: Rest

Then i went off plan a bit :o
    Fri: 10k fun run: avg pace 5:10min/km, avg hr 165
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 8m LSR: avg pace 6:25min/km, avg hr 143

LSR was meant to be 10m, but i decided to step it back having done 9m, 9m, 10.5m the previous 3 weeks and after the 10k on Fri. I should still be able to jump to 13m this week i hope.

Total: 41km/25m

For those of us not doing Fingal 10k what should we do that week.

I had thought i might find a local 10k the same weekend but having done 4 x 5k and 2 x 10k since the end of May, securing PBs in both 5k & 10k, my gut instinct is telling me there's little training stimulus to be gained from doing another 10k race. I could possibly get a small PB but keeping the main thing the main thing ;) i'd rather get the benefit of an extra LSR or rest or .... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes he said the same to me and then the colour coding confused me. If however it was PMP it would be strange that it is 5 Miles this week and 4 next week, also every other PMP run mentions warm up and cool down. Until WW gets back to us I'm assuming easy.....I think...:confused:

• Advertisement

Kmagic wrote: »
    Question about swapping weeks around. Im on week 9 of HHN1 this week with a step back LSR of 10 miles, and week 10 has a 15 mile LSR. However, due to work commitments it would be much easier if i did the 15 this week and use next week as a step back. Any problems with this?

the plan is a guideline - always feel free to amend as life gets in the way.

For those of us not doing Fingal 10k what should we do that week.

I had thought i might find a local 10k the same weekend but having done 4 x 5k and 2 x 10k since the end of May, securing PBs in both 5k & 10k, my gut instinct is telling me there's little training stimulus to be gained from doing another 10k race. I could possibly get a small PB but keeping the main thing the main thing ;) i'd rather get the benefit of an extra LSR or rest or .... :confused:

Rest?? Rest ?? - go with the additional LSR. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

<500 places left for anyone who hasn't signed up

Rest?? Rest ?? - go with the additional LSR. :)
    :pac: :pac: i know wishful thinking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Anyone received their numbers etc in the post for the 10k.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Yes he said the same to me and then the colour coding confused me. If however it was PMP it would be strange that it is 5 Miles this week and 4 next week, also every other PMP run mentions warm up and cool down. Until WW gets back to us I'm assuming easy.....I think...:confused:

PMP as per colour coding :) A tricky one this early in the plan, but well worth it.

Disclaimer: not my design ;)

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Anyone received their numbers etc in the post for the 10k.?

Not yet. I think it's to be 10 days before the race so probably Thursday or Friday.

PMP as per colour coding :) A tricky one this early in the plan, but well worth it.

Disclaimer: not my design ;)

Haha..that now turns today's run into something a little easier than I was going to do :D

Should there be some rest before the hills or just launch straight into it?

Haha..that now turns today's run into something a little easier than I was going to do :D

easier :confused:

I think you're supposed to be fresh for the hills to get the benefit so unless you get different advice maybe walk a couple of mins at the end of the pace miles before launching into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Might be against charter but just looking for some advice/experiences.

Bit of pain down the front of my shins, and praying to god it's not shin splints. just a dull pain even when walking. Really afraid it'll put me out even at this early stage

I think you're supposed to be fresh for the hills to get the benefit so unless you get different advice maybe walk a couple of mins at the end of the pace miles before launching into them.

I think I'll walk around until HR drops to easy run levels and then do the sprints resting between each until the HR returns to that rate.

Easier, as in shorter and much slower ;)

yep, take a bit of a walk break - each rep meant to be 100% fresh for it.
    Main aim is NOT aerobic but the nervous system and strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bit of pain down the front of my shins, and praying to god it's not shin splints. just a dull pain even when walking. Really afraid it'll put me out even at this early stage

Did you get fitted for your current runners or you just buy off the shelf? Massaging a bar of soap along the shin in the shower may give you a bit of relieve.

Far from being an expert but it sounds like a mild case. I got them after a long run in May. It took a week of rest and I have had no trouble since.

Are your runners new or very old?

Do you notice it all the time (e.g. in work etc) or just while running (or walking in the runners)

Might be worthwhile getting to a sports therapist or Physio.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Did you get fitted for your current runners or you just buy off the shelf? Massaging a bar of soap along the shin in the shower may give you a bit of relieve.

off the shelf but went to proper running shop with gait analysis. I've been foam rolling them past night or two. don't think it's a show stopper anyway but thought best to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

off the shelf but went to proper running shop with gait analysis. I've been foam rolling them past night or two. don't think it's a show stopper anyway but thought best to ask

Few days rest might sort it out but as AMK said above, no harm paying a visit to a physio.

Are your runners new or very old?

Do you notice it all the time (e.g. in work etc) or just while running (or walking in the runners)

Might be worthwhile getting to a sports therapist or Physio.

runners only few months old. notice it most of the time, certainly not just when running. thinking of seeing how I am tonight and reassess afterwards.

Have no problem going to see someone or hitting the pool/bike for a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

OOnegative wrote: »
    Few days rest might sort it out but as AMK said above, no harm paying a visit to a physio.

+1 to this. I had a shin injury last year, probably more advanced than yours, that meant I had to rest. Best thing I did was go to my physio. Ended up missing 2 weeks training, but I eased back, on grass, only when the physio said I could. You've loads of time so don't rush anything.

I think I'll walk around until HR drops to easy run levels and then do the sprints resting between each until the HR returns to that rate.

Easier, as in shorter and much slower ;)

Sorry if i seem dumb maybe i missed something but how did the run get shorter? Is it not 5m + 5 x hills? And is your easy pace faster than you PMP - is that the norm?

These are my paces, hope i'm not doing something wrong :confused:

Easy: 5:38-6:12
    PMP: 5:40-5:50 (for now)

(LSR : 5:38-6:27
    Recovery 6:17-6:46)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

It does sound like it, I suffered a lot early on when I started running except mine were posterior shin splints, I iced them and wore compression sleeves or socks, used anti inflammatory gel and when they were really bad I took a week off from running I needed pain relief and cycled for a week instead mine started after I went to get fitted for new runners and got the wrong size and lost all the support on my arches were I needed it.

I have noticed since Wednesday last week shin splint is back in my left leg, It started with a niggly calf that foam rolling sorted out, so back to basics to sort it and today it's much better :D

I am hoping that is the end of them, they were the bane of my life for weeks, I will go to a physio as well if it comes back

Sorry if i seem dumb maybe i missed something but how did the run get shorter? Is it not 5m + 5 x hills? And is your easy pace faster than you PMP - is that the norm?

These are my paces, hope i'm not doing something wrong :confused:

Easy: 5:38-6:12
    PMP: 5:40-5:50 (for now)

(LSR : 5:38-6:27
    Recovery 6:17-6:46)

I think we have crossed wires. My easy is slower than MP too.

I said that my run for today would be easier than planned. Hills are tomorrow. Before I found out that tomorrow was at MP I had thought of doing a little MP run today.

thanks folks, very much appreciate it.

went for little walk around office and up and down stairs and can certainly feel it. Giving tonight's session a miss

might hit the bike later or foam roll and pool tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Baby75 wrote: »
    It does sound like it, I suffered a lot early on when I started running except mine were posterior shin splints, I iced them and wore compression sleeves or socks, used anti inflammatory gel and when they were really bad I took a week off from running I needed pain relief and cycled for a week instead mine started after I went to get fitted for new runners and got the wrong size and lost all the support on my arches were I needed it.

I have noticed since Wednesday last week shin splint is back in my left leg, It started with a niggly calf that foam rolling sorted out, so back to basics to sort it and today it's much better :D

I am hoping that is the end of them, they were the bane of my life for weeks, I will go to a physio as well if it comes back

Again, +1 for compression socks and voltarol.
    Also, ice massage is good. Fill a paper cup with water and freeze. Tear back some of the paper and massage the tender area in circular motion for a few minutes. Just make sure you keep the ice moving (and don't do it before running).
    And did I mention seeing a physio :)

• Advertisement

I think we have crossed wires. My easy is slower than MP too.

I said that my run for today would be easier than planned. Hills are tomorrow. Before I found out that tomorrow was at MP I had thought of doing a little MP run today.

:pac: oh i getcha, phew, sorry panicking that i was doing something wrong :o

Advertisement