Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How does one keep warm afterwards? there is no baggage area anywhere near finish-line ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Week 3

Schedules for the plans are as follows:

HHN1: 3m easy + 4m easy + 3m easy + 5m LSR + cross
    Boards: 3m easy + 5m with 5 x hill sprints + 4m easy + 13m LSR + 3m rec

In relation to the hill sprints, this drill should be undertaken towards the end of your run. For example, a 4m warmup, before 5 x 10 second bursts up the hill, and a 1 mile cooldown to finish off. The walk down the hill should be your recovery, although if you feel the need, take a few extra seconds at the bottom before going again.

Good luck!

Back to hill sprints very quickly. Bit in bold (taken from my Sunday notes) hopefully makes more sense? Either way you're better off stopping briefly and getting your breath before commencing the actual sprints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

So tired nervous but determined I set out tonight for the 3*2mile 10k session , Singer inspired me to try it and I felt I needed to do it , didn't want to change my phone to miles so set myself 3*3k with 4 min rest between reps. Did a 2km warm up then tried to hit 4 min per km for the splits.

iSpnIfg.png

Delighted to get this done , I really suck at running on my own . At the start of each rep when I looked at my watch after a couple of hundred metres I was always running way too fast ,around 3:30 when I should of been doing 4:00, so I would slow down to let the time come back and then find myself speeding up again , this is why I suck at running solo. It was definitely a tough session gives me great confidence going into Fingal , I ran this on grass and trails maybe the road will be that bit faster also.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

The way my week is working out, I'll be doing my midweek session first thing tomorrow morning. Normally when I run in the morning before work I don't bother with breakfast, but I'd usually only be doing an easy 5-8k, never a session.

What are other people's experiences with doing sessions in the morning before eating? I was thinking of having a weetabix and some juice at least before I go, but I don't want it repeating on me either!

So tired nervous but determined I set out tonight for the 3*2mile 10k session , Singer inspired me to try it and I felt I needed to do it , didn't want to change my phone to miles so set myself 3*3k with 4 min rest between reps. Did a 2km warm up then tried to hit 4 min per km for the splits.

iSpnIfg.png

Delighted to get this done , I really suck at running on my own . At the start of each rep when I looked at my watch after a couple of hundred metres I was always running way too fast ,around 3:30 when I should of been doing 4:00, so I would slow down to let the time come back and then find myself speeding up again , this is why I suck at running solo. It was definitely a tough session gives me great confidence going into Fingal , I ran this on grass and trails maybe the road will be that bit faster also.

That's class, looks like you'll fly the 10k. What's your goal again? I'm looking for around 39, so may be close enough to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

The way my week is working out, I'll be doing my midweek session first thing tomorrow morning. Normally when I run in the morning before work I don't bother with breakfast, but I'd usually only be doing an easy 5-8k, never a session.

What are other people's experiences with doing sessions in the morning before eating? I was thinking of having a weetabix and some juice at least before I go, but I don't want it repeating on me either!

I never eat before heading out, up out of bed, dynamic stretching in the kitchen then head off. Good breakfast when I get back then. If you eat well in the evenings you're well fueled up. Especially for tomorrow's session.

Lazare wrote: »
    I never eat before heading out, up out of bed, dynamic stretching in the kitchen then head off. Good breakfast when I get back then. If you eat well in the evenings you're well fueled up. Especially for tomorrow's session.

Ok great, thanks. And at least if it goes tits up, I have someone to blame now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

It was definitely a tough session gives me great confidence going into Fingal , I ran this on grass and trails maybe the road will be that bit faster also.

Nice session! I'd expect the road to be faster alright, along with the glory of running through (mostly the outskirts of) Swords pulling you along :)

That's class, looks like you'll fly the 10k. What's your goal again? I'm looking for around 39, so may be close enough to you.

Cheers , I found this workout on boards it's under Best 10k workouts. My pb is 40:20 so goal is to beat that with an A goal of sub 40. Good luck in your training for 39, i'd take your hand off now for 39:59 !

Cheers , I found this workout on boards it's under Best 10k workouts. My pb is 40:20 so goal is to beat that with an A goal of sub 40. Good luck in your training for 39, i'd take your hand off now for 39:59 !

Well I haven't went under 40 before either so I'd be delighted with that too. Also, I'm not so sure I could do that session you just did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Hey everyone! I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts and the advice given. My running hasn't been going great, was in Singapore on holidays at the start of the plan and I missed one long run and a few shorter runs, I did some 3 mile runs but the heat and humidity was intense and I was beat. I am back at it now thank goodness and all was going ok until today....

I had a 8 mile run planned for today but had to stop at 7.8 miles due to stomach issues and intense feeling of need to defecate (sorry if tmi)... this has happened previously a few weeks ago on a short easy run but it didn't happen again so I put it down to a once off.

I had porridge about 2 hours before and felt fine until about mile 6 - then stomach started acting up.

Any thoughts? I know somebody else was talking about stomach cramps earlier in the thread also. I guess I'm a little worried that this will get worse and worse and I don't want it to hold me back :(

Well I haven't went under 40 before either so I'd be delighted with that too. Also, I'm not so sure I could do that session you just did.

Well I wasn't sure I could do it either , I went out two weeks ago and tried it and failed (only managed one rep) . I just had better mindset tonight , I find with running its mental more than physical (that fact i'm sure is obvious to everyone else that's running a long time). I took AMK's advice last week when he said "you've failed one session try not do it again".
    One of the more experienced contributors here will probably advise you on weather you should try this session or not , its not a guarantee of hitting your target but it gives me more confidence now certainly.

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry if i seem dumb maybe i missed something but how did the run get shorter? Is it not 5m + 5 x hills? And is your easy pace faster than you PMP - is that the norm?

These are my paces, hope i'm not doing something wrong :confused:

Easy: 5:38-6:12
    PMP: 5:40-5:50 (for now)

(LSR : 5:38-6:27
    Recovery 6:17-6:46)

Easy paces seem to be way too close to PMP? Similarly LSR and recovery.

That said, you're nailing PBs for fun lately.
    Maybe it's your PMP that's too slow?

Whatever you decide regarding your PMP, easy runs should be 45-60 seconds per mile slower....

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How does one keep warm afterwards? there is no baggage area anywhere near finish-line ? :)

If you're talking about DCM....

After you've run a fantastic marathon :) follow the crowds around Merrion Square, and pick up your bag on the opposite side of the square (South) to where you finished. It's not too bad at all; in fact it took me longer to put my gear on afterwards than actually getting the bag :pac:

iSpnIfg.png

Great session there. Surely a massive confidence booster ahead of Fingal! +1 to the road being faster, and of course there aren't any massive hills on the Fingal course either. Maybe selling yourself short just hoping to go under 40?

My personal preference is to do these without eating in advance. If it's LSRs we're talking about, then I normally have a bit of food on board first. However, for the shorter sessions, you're probably better off without. Try both ways and see which suits you better. Time is on your side :)

Great session there. Surely a massive confidence booster ahead of Fingal! +1 to the road being faster, and of course there aren't any massive hills on the Fingal course either. Maybe selling yourself short just hoping to go under 40?

Thanks WW , I've no idea if I'm selling myself short, still have to run that without breaks on race day. When I get more experience running and learn to run a pace without having to look at my watch I'll be more confident , the first 500metres of each set was done at 3:30 pace so obviously I was slowing down On second half of that km to level at 4 min pace , that's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If you're talking about DCM....

After you've run a fantastic marathon :) follow the crowds around Merrion Square, and pick up your bag on the opposite side of the square (South) to where you finished. It's not too bad at all; in fact it took me longer to put my gear on afterwards than actually getting the bag :pac:

I think the reference was about the Fingal 10k. I did it 2 years ago and there was no bag drop. It wasn't a problem that day as the weather was great. Hopefully it's the same on Sunday week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think the reference was about the Fingal 10k. I did it 2 years ago and there was no bag drop. It wasn't a problem that day as the weather was great. Hopefully it's the same on Sunday week.

Depends what you mean by "great"!! Personally, I'm hoping for some fairly mild weather on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by "great"!! Personally, I'm hoping for some fairly mild weather on the day.

Mild would be "great". Certainly wouldn't like it is hot as the IR 5!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That was a great session.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This may have been mentioned already, but the word is that DCM will sell out today. If you're not signed up yet, decision time has arrived.

Edit: sold out now, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Whatever you decide regarding your PMP, easy runs should be 45-60 seconds per mile slower....

I don't think i'm really going to know what PMP should be until i race 10m at the end of Aug. In the meantime is it better to over-guesstimate or under-guesstimate?

I would love to run a sub-4hr marathon, which would be a MP of 5:38min/km (based on running 42.6km).

But that is probably over-ambitious so i was going with 5:50 towards a 4:09:xx marathon and maybe a more realistic first marathon time for me. I was basing that on believing i have a 1:55:00 HM in me, and using the formula (2 x HM) + 20. I wouldn't feel as sure of having a 1:50:00 HM in me bit i won't know for a couple of months yet.

Do you think i should work off a PMP of 5:38 now until the 10m/HM races and then adjust if needs be?

I suppose there's a big part of me that is just so petrified of over-cooking and ending up DNF. I want to finish it first and foremost :)

I will review the easy paces again as well based on the 45-60 second rule.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Hi All,
    I think I need some help with the whole plan thing. I have pretty much been doing my own thing with a plan that started out loosely based on HH1 but with some tweaking as I though the mileage looked a bit low. I think I've tweaked it so often now its unrecognisable and I'm afraid too ambitious for me. I am not a fast runner and have no real natural athletic ability. This will be my first marathon if I make it. I have only doen one half marathon to date, in Galway last oct 2hr 5mins approx.

So basically my goal for the marathon keeps shifting from
    'God please let me break 5hrs' to
    'I think I could possibly in a dream situation do 4.30 if I train right' to
    '4.45 should realistically possible'

So with that my PMP goes from 10.20 per mile to 11per mile and back again all in the space of a few days!

Either way I seam to be running everything too fast even when I try slow down.

This is my first 2 wks log

miles time pace
    24-Jun 11.20 - 1.55.15 - 10.18
    26-Jun 6.20 - 1.01.23 - 9.54 very wet
    28-Jun 4.00 - 38.33 - 9.38 pain/discomfort in right leg so took it easy for last 2 miles
    30-Jun 4.00 - 38.01 - 9.3 aimed for easy run - leg felt ok today
    01-Jul 13.10 - 2.14.10 - 10.15 felt ok, steady pace throughout
    03-Jul 5.00 - 46.03 - 9.12
    05-Jul 4.50 - 43.17 - 9.36 very warm, felt tired, 2nd half way slower than first
    07-Jul 4.00 - 37.51 - 9.28
    08-Jul 13.00 - 2.16.29 - 10.3 really suffered last 3 miles, pace slowed to just over 11 and wanted it over
    11-Jul 5.00 - 50.34 - 10.06 legs tired and heavy

So basically aiming for running Mon Wed and Fri with LSR on Sat.
    I also do a HITT circuit on Tuesday and boxfit on Thursday.
    This week I missed Monday so ran tues eve after having done the class at lunch so that may explain why my legs were tired.
    My hope was to run Mon & Fri easy and do some kind of session on the Wed but that hasn't really happened yet.
    So should I just throw my plan out the window and go back to HH1 or 2 and stick religiously to it or can I maintain my own increased mileage and just try to go even slower?
    Really struggling to get into mindset that its ok to run at such a slow pace. Even when I set myself a goal heading out in my head of 10.30 I still start panicing in my head when I see the watch dropping and my pace being so slow. In my heart I want to be fast even though I know its not what I need.

sorry I'm rambling now but just confused as to where I'm at and what pace I should be aiming for when I don't even know what my PMP is.

Any ideas which PMP I should chose conservative or ambitious?

Edit: Sorry Log looks unreadable when posted but still looks fine when I go in to edit it, fixed it best I can

henrietta wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I think I need some help with the whole plan thing. I have pretty much been doing my own thing with a plan that started out loosely based on HH1 but with some tweaking as I though the mileage looked a bit low. I think I've tweaked it so often now its unrecognisable and I'm afraid too ambitious for me. I am not a fast runner and have no real natural athletic ability. This will be my first marathon if I make it. I have only doen one half marathon to date, in Galway last oct 2hr 5mins approx.

So basically my goal for the marathon keeps shifting from
    'God please let me break 5hrs' to
    'I think I could possibly in a dream situation do 4.30 if I train right' to
    '5.45 should realistically possible'

sorry I'm rambling now but just confused as to where I'm at and what pace I should be aiming for when I don't even know what my PMP is.

Any ideas which PMP I should chose conservative or ambitious?

Hi henrietta, you sound like me a bit to be honest :pac: As you can see from my post above i'm also confused about PMP. My only HM was also in Galway last Oct and i ran it very conservatively as i didn't know what to expect and was afraid of blowing up. I aimed for 2:09:xx and finished in 2:09:xx with very even splits. I was delighted with that but really wish now i had ran a Spring HM a little less conservatively to see what i'm capable of :rolleyes:

Have you considered following the Boards plan?

I'll be interested to hear the experts replies to you but don't worry you are definitely not alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Sold out guys, we're all locked in now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi henrietta, you sound like me a bit to be honest :pac: As you can see from my post above i'm also confused about PMP. My only HM was also in Galway last Oct and i ran it very conservatively as i didn't know what to expect and was afraid of blowing up. I aimed for 2:09:xx and finished in 2:09:xx with very even splits. I was delighted with that but really wish now i had ran a Spring HM a little less conservatively to see what i'm capable of :rolleyes:

Have you considered following the Boards plan?

I'll be interested to hear the experts replies to you but don't worry you are definitely not alone :)

Not an expert but I think the 2 x hm time plus 20 minutes is a good formula to work off for your first marathon, with your hm time of 2 10 that would give you a pmp at 10.40 pace to finish in 4.40. (I'm in miles)

The caveat being depending on how conservative that HM time is (only you know that) you could possible aim for a quicker time , a 4.30 marathon is run at 10.20 pace, you could tray that on some of the paced training runs and see how it feels and take things from there.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Not an expert but I think the 2 x hm time plus 20 minutes is a good formula to work off for your first marathon, with your hm time of 2 10 that would give you a pmp at 10.40 pace to finish in 4.40. (I'm in miles)

The caveat being depending on how conservative that HM time is (only you know that) you could possible aim for a quicker time , a 4.30 marathon is run at 10.20 pace, you could tray that on some of the paced training runs and see how it feels and take things from there.

Just on this how tough should we be finding the PMP runs at this early stage when they are still relatively short? 5m last week i was chatting comfortably throughout. That was @ 5:39 min/km which is a bit faster than it should have been. But i'm thinking PMP should be comfortable to be sustainable for 4+ hrs?

• Advertisement

Sorry now if i'm getting annoying but i just checked McMillan calculators again and unless i'm doing something wrong, it's giving me easy pace in a range that includes PMP

So i choose 4:10:00 as a target time (for now) and it gave me

PMP 9:30

Training paces:
    Recovery 10:16 - 11:02
    Easy 9:10 - 10:09
    LSR 9:12 - 10:31

So even taking the slower end of the Easy range, it's still only 39 seconds per mile slower than PMP and at the faster end it's significantly faster than PMP :confused:

Advertisement