Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Quick update after the physio folks. Long story short, I'm out of action for the next 7-10 days. Got a good 30km in last night on the bike, and planning a swim later at lunch. Got home last night with the mentality that I wasn't going to sit around loosing fitness

Not all doom and gloom. Was certainly a bit over past few days but been assured I should be ok. Few different strengthening stretches to focus on.

Thanks for the advice folks, was so afraid I'd miss it in October, especially with all the work gone in to even get to this point. It's something that'll stand to me going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Quick update after the physio folks. Long story short, I'm out of action for the next 7-10 days. Got a good 30km in last night on the bike, and planning a swim later at lunch. Got home last night with the mentality that I wasn't going to sit around loosing fitness

Not all doom and gloom. Was certainly a bit over past few days but been assured I should be ok. Few different strengthening stretches to focus on.

Thanks for the advice folks, was so afraid I'd miss it in October, especially with all the work gone in to even get to this point. It's something that'll stand to me going forward

fair play still getting some fitness work in and you seem to have a good positive attitude.! where can I buy some of that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

supposed to do a PMP run today. Felt awful from the get go. After 3 miles I couldnt hold PMP and ended up finishing my session at long slow run pace.

feel pretty demoralized about that. After a step back last week I thought Id be nice and fresh this week but instead my body is reacting in the opposite way and I feel heavy legged.

Im hoping I can put it down to sleep patterns playing a role here ? The kids have been sick for the almost a week and ive only been getting 4 - 5 hours sleep a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

D3PO wrote: »
    supposed to do a PMP run today. Felt awful from the get go. After 3 miles I couldnt hold PMP and ended up finishing my session at long slow run pace.

feel pretty demoralized about that. After a step back last week I thought Id be nice and fresh this week but instead my body is reacting in the opposite way and I feel heavy legged.

Im hoping I can put it down to sleep patterns playing a role here ? The kids have been sick for the almost a week and ive only been getting 4 - 5 hours sleep a night.

bound to be some difficult and demoralizing spells during the course of the program (and the race itself). Tough it out and you'll no doubt come through on the other side in a better place, physically and mentally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Fair play on the positivity and keeping the fitness up. Better now than in a few months time.
    D3PO wrote: »

Don't beat yourself up. I can empathise with the sick kids thing and lack of sleep plays havoc. 3 miles @ PMP is still a decent session, there's a lot more sessions ahead that you will have a chance to nail ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ariana` wrote: »
    The Muppet wrote: »
    You will have a good idea youself if the pace is sustainable as the training progresses. I wouldn't get too caught up in pmp at the moment you will get a better idea of where that should be as your training progresses especially if you are doing the longer races in the race series.

Pmp is planned marathon pace and plans can be changed. For now if I were you I would continue to train for 4.30 and see how you feel nearer the day . In fact that's exactly what I did last year . Trained for 4.30 and went out with the 4.40 pacers on the day after my 2.10 half and considering how I felt after the longer runs @10.20 pace.

Thanks. Do you mind me asking how you got on with the 4.40 pacers? Did you stick with them to the end?

No I dont mind you asking at all, I'm happy to answer anything I can but I'm no expert . Don't forget do not compare yourself to any other runner, we're all different

To answer I got on grand up to 16 miles. Pace was very comfortable and I was ru ning right beside the pacers . I took a pit stop and when I started to try inject pace to catch back up with the pacers I cramped up , tried to speed up a few times but cramped every time so I just completed it at Lsr pace .

That was my experience I don't know why I cramped it had never happened me before or since , I had ran two 20 miles lsrs a 19 and a 18 and training had gone quite well with one or two bad days .

One other thing I used the boards plan and completed all the pmp runs on it at 4.30 pace , 10. 20 mile but on the longer ones I did have an idea that I couldn't sustain that pace for 4 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How did those of you who had hill sprints in the plan find then? I always found these the toughest to judge last year!

I had great fun doing them! Now 24 hours later I'll probably end up having an enforced rest day. The tops of my calf muscles, almost behind the knee, are reminding me how tough a session it was. Delighted I did it and I think I'll include them again during the plan :pac:

The Muppet wrote: »
    No I dont mind you asking at all, I'm happy to answer anything I can but I'm no expert . Don't forget do not compare yourself to any other runner, we're all different

To answer I got on grand up to 16 miles. Pace was very comfortable and I was tuning right beside the pacers . I took a pit stop and when I started to try inject pace to catch back up with the pacers I cramped up , tried to speed up a few times but cramped every time so I just completed it at Lsr pace .

That was my experience I don't know why I cramped it had never happened me before or since , I had ran two 20 miles lsrs a 19 and a 18 and training had gone quite well with one or two bad days .

One other thing I used the boards plan and completed all the pmp runs on it at 4.30 pace , 10. 20 mile but on the longer ones I did have an idea that I couldn't sustain that pace for 4 and a half hours.

It's good to hear other's experiences and even more so when they're around the same level. Though i do appreciate the reminder not to compare... There are a lot of factors on the day too. Last year if i remember it was quite warm, beautiful for spectators but i imagine less so for runners. Extra kudos for finishing under difficult circumstances :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have my 2x3m runs completed for the week and will run the 4m tomorrow morning. Travel day Saturday into Sunday so Sunday evening will be my LSR. I missed last week's so would it be okay to run the 7m from last week because I missed it? I only got two runs in last week, bad week :(

On another note I'm heading to the Run Hub when im home to get sorted with a proper pair of runners, hopefully put them to good use next Sunday at the 10k.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Have my 2x3m runs completed for the week and will run the 4m tomorrow morning. Travel day Saturday into Sunday so Sunday evening will be my LSR. I missed last week's so would it be okay to run the 7m from last week because I missed it? I only got two runs in last week, bad week :(

On another note I'm heading to the Run Hub when im home to get sorted with a proper pair of runners, hopefully put them to good use next Sunday at the 10k.

I think the general consensus is not to chase missed runs. Put the bad week behind you (it's still early in the process) and move on. I would do this week's LSR. Or if you feel it will be too big a jump from your last LSR then maybe split the difference?

Anyone else feel this week's LSR on Boards is a big leap forward :eek: I'm not questioning it but I'm fluctuating between looking forward to it and feeling nervous. Suddenly this sh*t is getting real :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

One of the main mantras is "trust the plan" there is a big jump this week in the boards LSR but if you have the pacing correct it will go well.

You are mostly all now entering the territory of ticking off new records for your longest runs on your weekly LSR.....I always got a kick out of that.
    I think the general consensus is not to chase missed runs. Put the bad week behind you (it's still early in the process) and move on. I would do this week's LSR. Or if you feel it will be too big a jump from your last LSR then maybe split the difference?

Anyone else feel this week's LSR on Boards is a big leap forward :eek: I'm not questioning it but I'm fluctuating between looking forward to it and feeling nervous. Suddenly this sh*t is getting real :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ha Ha , embrace it and enjoy , new challenges but it's easier to motivate yourself for the longer runs never having ran this distances before.

In another few weeks you will consider anything under 18 miles as a short run. Difficult to comprehend that now I know but that's how it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

How did those of you who had hill sprints in the plan find then? I always found these the toughest to judge last year!

Did my 4 mile pmp and arrived at the top of the hill. Walked down to recover and decided it wasnt steep enough. Another half mile ish at pmp and arrived at a second hill.

Found the 10 secs went fairly fast and didnt really struggle. Took around 1.5 to 2 mins recovery after each one. Finished off with a mile back to the car.

Could really feel it in the legs today. Had considered skipping tonights run but went out. Legs were sore and dead. Will be glad of the rest tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

+10000 on this one. When it's gone, it's gone. Same rules apply, regardless of what time you're targeting.

Particularly when holidays are involved, you're unlikely to make every session, every week. Next week's another week closer :)

This is perfectly normal by the way :D you are far from the only one in this situation. Embrace it, and take that step forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Omeceron wrote: »
    Did my 4 mile pmp and arrived at the top of the hill. Walked down to recover and decided it wasnt steep enough. Another half mile ish at pmp and arrived at a second hill.

Found the 10 secs went fairly fast and didnt really struggle. Took around 1.5 to 2 mins recovery after each one. Finished off with a mile back to the car.

Could really feel it in the legs today. Had considered skipping tonights run but went out. Legs were sore and dead. Will be glad of the rest tomorrow night

Well done there Omeceron. Doesn't it feel good to have that session in the bag though?

Bonus points for getting back out this evening. We're all going to have times like this, but the more we can bring ourselves to stick with the plan, the better it's going to be at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Thanks for the advice everyone, I won't chase missed runs and just stick to the plan.

It sounds weird but I can't wait to get home and run in normal weather. This 30-35+ is a killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madjack75

Well am out before I really got started. The 5mile few weeks back in the Park, feeling super. Fast forward few weeks grade 3 tear to hamstring. I will be keeping an eye on you all and hope you have the best experience ever. Enjoy and best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Run went ok today - stomach behaved, thanks for all the advice! Just have a massive blood filled blister to content with now! Onwards and upwards

sillymoo wrote: »
    Run went ok today - stomach behaved, thanks for all the advice! Just have a massive blood filled blister to content with now! Onwards and upwards

Brilliant sillymoo aside from the blister, ouch.

I did the 5m pace + hill sprints last night. Tough session not helped by the fact that I was way faster than PMP of course. I have to slow down.

madjack75 wrote: »
    Well am out before I really got started. The 5mile few weeks back in the Park, feeling super. Fast forward few weeks grade 3 tear to hamstring. I will be keeping an eye on you all and hope you have the best experience ever. Enjoy and best of luck to everyone.

So sorry mad jack. This happened my friend and after a yr she is back faster than ever. T'cate and follow your physios instructions.

• Advertisement

madjack75 wrote: »

Sorry to hear that too. Why not keep the legs moving, swimming or cycling and aim for a marathon further out in the year.

If you've made the conscious decision to sign up, be a shame to let the work you've done fall away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Race series pack arrived today. Am excite. Wife sent me a pic of my little one holding up my race numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Race series pack arrived today. Am excite. Wife sent me a pic of my little one holding up my race numbers.

Yeah just home from work myself and they were here waiting for me. Can't wait to collect my bandana! :eek::rolleyes::o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yeah just home from work myself and they were here waiting for me. Can't wait to collect my bandana! :eek::rolleyes::o

Do they all come out now? I'm not running the 10k so I assume mine will arrive just before the 10 mile?

Got mine today also

Ran 3 miles today, just a small cup of coffee about an hour before run, no breakfast.

Felt good for the first mile, picked up the pace to stretch the legs after all the slow runs and pushed myself.

Second mile had to slow as started to get stomach cramps.

Had to run/walk the third mile and near the end of the third mile the unthinkable happened.......

Had to walk half a mile to my car. So embarrassed. Lots of people about but I don't think anyone could see what had happened and most stayed in shorts and top of leg, but I knew....

Really upset. It was a short run. Maybe it was the pace? I don't know. Had a bowl of porridge when I got home and now stomach is grumbling like crazy and is all upset. I'm upset. Stomach upset. Just upset all round!

I was so excited getting my race series numbers this morning. Now I don't want to run another mile. I'm at a loss.

Sorry to hear that, must've been awful. Was that the first time you had a coffee before a run?

I don't think there's anything we can say apart from sorry for your pain. Turn that negative into a positive motivation for when you cross that finish line in October

Sorry to hear that, must've been awful. Was that the first time you had a coffee before a run?

I don't think there's anything we can say apart from sorry for your pain. Turn that negative into a positive motivation for when you cross that finish line in October

I've often had coffee before running with no problems. I've no idea why this is happening now all of a sudden :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ran 3 miles today, just a small cup of coffee about an hour before run, no breakfast.

Felt good for the first mile, picked up the pace to stretch the legs after all the slow runs and pushed myself.

Had to run/walk the third mile and near the end of the third mile the unthinkable happened.......

Had to walk half a mile to my car. So embarrassed. Lots of people about but I don't think anyone could see what had happened and most stayed in shorts and top of leg, but I knew....

Really upset. It was a short run. Maybe it was the pace? I don't know. Had a bowl of porridge when I got home and now stomach is grumbling like crazy and is all upset. I'm upset. Stomach upset. Just upset all round!

I was so excited getting my race series numbers this morning. Now I don't want to run another mile. I'm at a loss.

I really feel your pain - that is so unfortunate for you :(

However, it is not an uncommon situation and is more common than you think for runners to 'get caught out' - so dont feel embarrassed by it.

There is even a name for it in running circles - The Gingerbreadman :p - seriously.

Maybe you already do this, but, if you run in the morning, prior to a run, have a coffee a good hour before you run as it does get things moving down there.
    Make sure you 'go' before you run.

Maybe do your next run close to the house just in case.
    I think the important thing for you is to somehow come to terms with the stomach issues.

You should try running in the evening - with no coffee, and see if this improves things.
    But do go for a run again - don't let this deter you - as I said its more common than you think (I have a toilet roll in my car for such possible scenarios)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

There is even a name for it in running circles - The Gingerbreadman

Really? that's a new one on me, have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbie xx

Got mine today also

That's definitely not a pleasant experience.

Would you consider doing laps where you run so you would be near a loo, I know it may not be ideal but it would give a boost to know, that you're never to far away, just incase.
    It may well be the body adjusting, I know I always had this fear and would always run where I knew there was a loo.
    It petrified so much that when I did the race series in 2015, I took Imodium before the 10 mile and the half. If nothing else it put my mind away ease.

Advertisement