Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    I have a race on Saturday, and had considered doing the 9mile lsr early in the week to fit it in but realise that's probably the wrong thing to do so will act as though I'm doing the Fingal 10k. My race is a day earlier so am getting the feeling that I should move the week's runs forward a day, to have 2 rest days beforehand?

Last bit in bold is correct :D

The race takes the place of the LSR. I have alternative plans here because a lot of Novices are running the Fingal 10k, but the general principle is the same. What race is it? Best of luck!

Weekly report:

Tough week work wise this week. Lots of long hours and my nutrition went out the window as a result but stuck on top of my training (mostly!)

Monday: gym session -squats, core work and Kettlebells
    Tuesday: 4 mile easy run @ 9.10 p/m
    Wednesday: gym session- benching, core work and some bits and bobs
    Thursday: boards session - 4m pace (8.20) , hill sprints × 5 and 1m cool down
    Friday: rest and travel home
    Saturday: 6m easy @ 9.30
    Sunday: Long slow run. 13 miles @ 9.45

Overall been a great week running and starting to see my fitness increase already.

Work will be hard core again this week but can't wait for the Fingal 10k. Let's be having ya!

Well done RD, that's excellent work at this early stage. Great to see such a positive attitude towards the race too :D

In a bit of a boggle and don't know what to do. I've shin splints at the minute, nothing serious and no pain anymore walking. I've been hitting the bike and pool to try and keep up fitness.

However, with the Fingal 10km on at the weekend I'm thinking of running it

Physio said to stay off the legs for 7-10 days and have appointment on the Monday with her.

Unsure whether to run the Fingal or not

This is setting off alarm bells in my head.

You may run the Fingal 10k if it feels all right on the morning, but the consequences long term (or at least for DCM 2017) could be disastrous. Based on what I'm reading here, I think you're better leaving it off and possibly looking for another 10k when you're right again. Keep us posted!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Does "rest" mean actually resting, or can it involve cross training, eg, walking? Especially for the Saturday, the day before the race? I'm volunteering at Parkrun instead of running it, but wondering if a 5km round trip walk would be off the cards?

Ideally yes, but in practice most of us are going to have something to do to fill up all that spare time :)

To actually answer your question, yes walking the day before is perfectly fine, and in fact it's far better than spending the day on the couch :D

Omeceron wrote: »
    Week 3. Could still feel Weds hills in the legs for the first 2 miles of the LSR. Relaxed into after that. Had some water at 6 and 9 miles. Had a gel at 6 miles and for the first time it didn't sit too well in the stomach. The last mile was tough but did feel I could have done more if I needed to.

My LSRs include a lot of miles in woods and my watch really struggles. It gives me paces of 11:30 and slower when I know I'm going faster. But seeing these paces leads to me going faster. Garmin says total avg pace was 10:52, Strava says 10:23. It was probably somewhere in between. I need to find more open routes.

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest |
    Tue | 4.20 Miles Easy | 10:43
    Wed | 5 Miles Pace 5*10 secs Hill | 10:54
    Thu | 4.15 Miles Recovery| 10:51
    Fri | Rest |
    Sat | 13.1 Miles LSR | 10:52
    Sun | 3.1 Miles Recovery | 10:39
    Traveling with work this week so can't run on Thurs. Will either run Mon, Tue & Wed or Tue, Wed & Fri depending on how I feel tomorrow evening.

Some fine efforts there. Even though you were feeling the efforts from the hill session (a good sign btw!) you were still able to keep getting out and get everything done. Excellent pacing too. Best of luck with next week.

• Advertisement

Another week done!!

Monday: strength & conditioning video
    Tuesday: 3 mile @ 9.40
    Wednesday: 4.5 miles @ 9.25 + 5 x hill sprints + 1 mile c/d
    Thursday: 4 miles @ 10.00
    Friday: strength & conditioning + stretch video
    Saturday: 13 mile LSR @ 10.49
    Sunday: 30min on bike

Loved Wednesdays session, felt good afterwards.
    LSR went well yesterday, had to keep checking my pace though! Started off a little to fast so slowed down, then was a little bit too slow, could feel my knees starting to get a bit sore and my shoulders in the last 2 miles. Managed to up my pace a little for the last mile.
    I'm not doing the fingal 10k so I'll be doing another 13 miles next week!

Is it ok to go on the bike for a slow 30mins instead of the recovery run on Sundays?
    Also is anyone taking glucosamine for their knees and if yes do they find it any good??

Another one with a 13 mile LSR and a hill session in the bag, well done :)

You'll be well able for another 13 next week. As regards the bike, yes if you think it suits you better, that should be ok, provided you keep it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Week 4

Race

HHN1: Rest + 3m easy + 4m easy + 3m easy + rest + rest + Fingal 10k
    Boards: Rest + 3m easy + (1m w/u, 4m pace, 1m c/d) + 3m rec + rest + 3m easy + Fingal 10k

Note that the pace element of the session steps back from 5m to 4m.

No Race

HHN1: Replace Saturday & Sunday above with 9m LSR + cross
    Boards: Replace Saturday & Sunday above with 13m LSR + 3m rec

As ever, listen to your bodies. Other things that will be particularly important in race week are hydration and sleep. Try to keep well hydrated and rested during the week; whether racing or not, you'll feel the benefits at the weekend :)

Good luck!

For the HH1 plan is it 3 m or 4 m on Thursday? The excel doc says 4 m but maybe you've revised it?

Thanks!

Red_Open wrote: »
    For the HH1 plan is it 3 m or 4 m on Thursday? The excel doc says 4 m but maybe you've revised it?

Thanks!

Mine says 4 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Mine says 4 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday ;)

I'm seeing 4 for both days but I'll happily stick with 3. Legs are tired this week. Cheers!

Spirogyra wrote: »
    17 miles today...slight calf strain, have had since Friday, the run was comfortable enough, stomach and bowels not great afterwards though, they rarely are....

Great long run to have in the bag. Just look after the calves though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

great weekends training (& posting :) )

from reading the last few pages right now - 3 things stand out.

(1) El C's post on PMP is gold. Make sure you read it and take note.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104090037&postcount=1307

(2) Lazares post on recovery and the link to the clonliffe Harriers coaching corner is also a good education. Bear in mind, the advice here is for elites, but the nutrition advice is very relevant for all of us.
    http://clonliffeharriersac.com/coaching-corner/

(3) You are all doing great - some great long runs this weekend - as above - be careful on recovery - some of you have done the most mileage in a week and the longest ever run, this week.
    That takes its toll - so manage the body, internally and externally, this week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

First ever half marathon today, just under 2 hours. Got a bit eager during my planned LSR and just kept running, pretty happy with it though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Last bit in bold is correct :D

The race takes the place of the LSR. I have alternative plans here because a lot of Novices are running the Fingal 10k, but the general principle is the same. What race is it? Best of luck!

Its an adventure race that I signed up for months ago, Killary Gaelforce Women's race. It starts with an 8km run, half on road, half on rough ground, which is fine, I'm used to running on that, then a 16km bike ride, 1.5km run again, half a km kayak, then another half a km run, so 10k run in total along with the other stuff. Would love to do a triathlon one day, but my swimming isn't great, so thought the kayaking would be a good way to cover the water aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Week 3:

A mix and match of the plan due to being on holiday, working it around excursions etc!

Monday: 3.35 miles @ 08:50 min/mi pace. One of the lads I met over there came out with me for a run, a bit later in the day than id like so was 35+ degrees out, ran a tiny bit more to show him around. Seen a huge iguana and it scurried back into an electricity box.

Thursday 3.1 miles @ 08:33 min/mi pace. On my own and it was 7:30 am so not as hot out. Seen said iguana peeking his head out at same electricity box!

Friday 4.2 miles @ 08:48 min/mi pace. With the same lad, ventured a tiny bit further up the resort but this was at about 12:30, absolutely roasting out!! Stopped for the usual water break, definitely needed in that weather. Our mate decided to have a staredown with us on the pavement on the way back up, scurried back off again, forgot to say goodbye to em :pac:

Sunday 5.03 miles @ 09:10 min/mi pace. After a long day travelling on Saturday into Sunday I couldnt sit down anymore, and after a feast at Blue Bar and Storm in a teacup, I knew I had to get the LSR in. Headed out at about 9:40 still bright out and warm too. Stuck on a podcast and off I went. Would like this to be a bit slower, but I think it was because it felt so good running in normal weather, and not 35+.

Looking forward to next week, especially the 10k. My pack from the Temple Street Childrens Foundation arrived, sponsorship cards t shirt etc, spoke with the girl that is organising the marathon fundraising on the phone before holidays and she was very appreciative of having me on board, makes this training even more satisfying knowing ill be able to help out some people, that helped me when I needed it. Roll on next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Week 3 review

Monday: 5.1k easy @ 6:30min/km, avg hr 140
    Tuesday: 6.5k easy @ 6:12min/km, avg hr 138
    Wed: Sick day
    Thurs: 8.1km pace (+ hills), @ 5:17min/km, avg hr 161
    Fri: Yoga class
    Sat: LSR 20.7km @ 6:54, avg hr 147
    Sun: Recovery. Nothing recorded but lots of power walking, light jogging & cycling with the kids.

Total: 40.4km/25m

Thurs I went waaaaay too fast on the PMP run and as a result I wasn't recovered for the LSR 36 hrs later so found the LSR quite tough though I did manage to hold a consistent pace.

Tuesday was probably a bit on the fast side too though hr doesn't reflect this.

Lesson from the week is to sloooooow down more!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

This is setting off alarm bells in my head.

You may run the Fingal 10k if it feels all right on the morning, but the consequences long term (or at least for DCM 2017) could be disastrous. Based on what I'm reading here, I think you're better leaving it off and possibly looking for another 10k when you're right again. Keep us posted!

Thanks Wubble, don't think I'll risk the long term consequences. Especially as it's only a 10km which in reality I can do anytime.

Last week:
    Monday: Rest - shins playing up
    Tuesday: Rest/Foam roll - shins worse than Monday
    Wednesday: 32km on bike
    Thursday: Physio, 400m swimming
    Friday: Rest/life
    Saturday: 33km bike, plenty of hills
    Sunday: stretching and foam roll

The plan for this week is more of the same, more bike and pool until I get the ok next week from physio. Getting really nervous that I have missed my window and hoping the bike and swimming will keep my fitness levels up

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Dealerz wrote: »
    Hi-
    Do you have a link for the strength and conditioning video or is it DVD?

Hi Dealerz, I do one of Shaun Ts dvds from his T25 box set. The box set has 3 different phases, alpha, beta and gamma.
    The strength and conditioning one I use is from the beta phase and it's called rip't circuit. It 25 minutes long and includes weights, ab work and a little cardio.
    There's also a tougher one on the gamma phase called rip't up.
    If you google it you can find the workouts online.
    He also does a good stretch DVD in this box set, he's all about the hip flexors which is good for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Week 3 Report

Monday: 8.1k @ 5:53 per km. A nice easy run after the weekend.

Tuesday: 5.2k @ 5.52 per km. A short little run as I wanted to be fresh for the hills which loomed on my horizon like 5 ascents of Everest!!!!!

Wednesday: 11.94k @ 5.43 per km incl 8k PMP and 5 Hill Sprints, warm up and cool down. Really enjoyed this. Glorious weather in the Phoenix Park and my initiation to hills!

Thursday: Rest day. Not a voluntary rest day... My 5 cliff ascents at supersonic speeds left my calves feeling like 2 blocks of hardened steel!

Friday: 6.7k @ 6.08 per km. Recovery run. Surprised that while I was still stiff while walking I was able to run without discomfort.

Saturday: 25k @ 6.18 per km LSR. Ran alone for the first 12k @ 6.05 pace then had company for 8k with my better half @ 6.45 pace. Last 5k all on my lonesome again and at about 6.15 pace.

Sunday: 6.8k @ 6.31 per km. Recovery run. Very gentle after the weeks effort.

Total for week 64k/ 40 miles approx. This was definitely my last week doing more than the boards plan. I had started long runs a few weeks ago and increased by a mile or two a week. The increases on the early weeks of the boards plan has now caught me!

Trying hard to find distinct paces and finally managing to slow my recovery runs. Breaking the pattern of running easy, pace, recovery and LSR at mono speed finally seems to be happening!

Can't wait for the Fingal. Best of luck to everyone taking part and hopefully the drop back week has all itching to give it a lash on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Its an adventure race that I signed up for months ago, Killary Gaelforce Women's race. It starts with an 8km run, half on road, half on rough ground, which is fine, I'm used to running on that, then a 16km bike ride, 1.5km run again, half a km kayak, then another half a km run, so 10k run in total along with the other stuff. Would love to do a triathlon one day, but my swimming isn't great, so thought the kayaking would be a good way to cover the water aspect.

Hi Muddypaws, I am thinking of doing that one as well :) good luck with the training how are you approaching it along with running, I completed the badass at lilliput and I am signed up for Achill Quest in september with my husband. we registered for that months ago as well.

I swapped next week in the plan to this week if that makes sense as I had a race on this saturday. So I am not doing the 10km race this comming saturday, I had to rest my left leg after Tuesday easy run what I thought was possibly a slight calf strain, developed into pain along my shin on the inside of my leg, so I iced, rested and wore a support and had to take anti inflammatory , I think it was caused by tight calf muscle. it is much better today but think I will wait till no more pain in my leg before I run again, with a visit to physio as well I think!

I was worried about it on friday when we set off to Lilliput adventure center for an adventure race, but I woke up saturday and felt good except for a very upset tummy ( nerves I think) anyone else feel like that before a race starts,

The focus was on cycling with a short run/walk/scramble/ climb over a lovely hill LOL and then more cycling back to start with a short run through finish line. plus a 1km kayak to start us off ( which was so much fun I really want to try that again)

I really minded myself on the run section partly because my legs were like jelly after pushing really hard on the bike out, that and the fact it was very steep so you had to walk/ run it and climb over obstacles, I had in my head I would take my time and gave myself 30 minutes to complete it as I did not want to further injure my leg. hit that target at 30 minutes exactly. cycled back and finished in 2 hours 30 minutes 11th woman home and 5th in my age category. They did have me in the wrong age category but I should of been in the cough ( over 40) one.

It was a good experience I think for my mind ,as I felt wrecked on the return cycle and that little voice in my head, said stop but I did not and pushed through till I made it back to the finish. I was not able to talk for about 5 minutes when I finished I just kept smiling and nodding I am sure some thought I was crackers. Thankfully hubby was there to chat the back end off a donkey :D he likes to talk plus I recovered quickly after some great BBQ which was included in the event.

So plan this week is a recovery cycle today, with cycling and bootcamp this week loads of stretching and foam rolling, I am hoping by thursday I can get out for an easy run and back on track for the weekend getting in my LSR

Sorry for the long post and now I need to catch up over the last few days I missed loads of pages

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 3

Mon: 3.7m @8.45
    Tue: Rest/Work
    Weds: 4.6m @ 8.26 (with strides)
    Thurs: 3.7m @ 8.49
    Fri: Rest (and Pints)
    Sat: LSR 3: 14m @ 8.42 [first 9 miles at 8.50 pace, then into Fairview parkrun at PMP (8.24), last mile and a half at 9.00 pace] [first time i did parkrun as part of LSR and it really is a great way to do it - breaks the monotony, and if you join at the back you get to pass people for the first few kms which is a lovely feeling (of superiority....) when you are starting to get tired!]
    Sun: Rest

Total: 26.2 miles

Still trying to get better pace discipline and bring easys and LSRs to no faster than 9.00 pace; i suspect that will continue to be a challenge but im trying....

Found LSR broadly fine this week with two problems:
    1. Last mile and a half from parkrun home was a biatch (i'm blaming the fact that i had to stop in a queue for 2 mins to get my parkrun code scanned before the last mile, but it may have been the simple fact that its painful running the last of 14 miles....!) - still had enough energy for a (short) sprint finish but it was tough enough
    2. Found running at PMP on miles 9-12 of a 14 mile more uncomfortable than i expected. It was fine for the 5k of the parkrun, but the thought of having to do that pace for 26 miles when it wasn't especially comfortable for 3.5 miles was somewhat disheartening. Obviously its early days in the plan, so as duration and fitness improves, so too will the ability to maintain pace (i hope). Hopefully there will be an incremental improvement next week.

No knee twinges this week which was good.

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi Muddypaws, I am thinking of doing that one as well :) good luck with the training how are you approaching it along with running, I completed the badass at lilliput and I am signed up for Achill Quest in september with my husband. we registered for that months ago as well.

I do cycle quite often, although usually with a dog helping, and as the race has the main run first, I'm thinking that I will run as well as I can, then take the cycle easy maybe, at least until I get my breath back. I am slightly worried now about the kayaking as I hurt my shoulder at the end of May and it's still not right but I have a physio session booked for Thursday, so hopefully can get some idea of what's going on.

This kind of event is more my thing than a marathon really, I do a lot of dryland mushing events over the winter and last season entered the running and bike classes at each IFSS rally as well as 4 dog rig (which doesn't involve much work on the human's part) and did the bike and scooter classes at the Canicross Ireland races, so am used to doing different events, although there is a gap between each, I'm not used to running and hopping straight onto the bike.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it, I am really looking forward to it, although the friend that was meant to be doing it with me had to pull out due to injury, so I am hoping I can grab someone to jump in the kayak, did you have any issues with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

(2) Lazares post on recovery and the link to the clonliffe Harriers coaching corner is also a good education. Bear in mind, the advice here is for elites, but the nutrition advice is very relevant for all of us.
    http://clonliffeharriersac.com/coaching-corner/

On this topic, this is an excellent and very readable guide to eating and running:
    https://www.nytimes.com/well/guides/healthy-eating-for-runners

I do cycle quite often, although usually with a dog helping, and as the race has the main run first, I'm thinking that I will run as well as I can, then take the cycle easy maybe, at least until I get my breath back. I am slightly worried now about the kayaking as I hurt my shoulder at the end of May and it's still not right but I have a physio session booked for Thursday, so hopefully can get some idea of what's going on.

This kind of event is more my thing than a marathon really, I do a lot of dryland mushing events over the winter and last season entered the running and bike classes at each IFSS rally as well as 4 dog rig (which doesn't involve much work on the human's part) and did the bike and scooter classes at the Canicross Ireland races, so am used to doing different events, although there is a gap between each, I'm not used to running and hopping straight onto the bike.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it, I am really looking forward to it, although the friend that was meant to be doing it with me had to pull out due to injury, so I am hoping I can grab someone to jump in the kayak, did you have any issues with that?

You will love it, I love that the run is first I think it is much easier to cycle after a run rather than the other way round, on kayaking you will be very happy to hear it wont effect your shoulder ( I hope the physio helps and it gets better for you) , believe it or not you need a strong core for Kayaking and you know when you're doing it right wont feel it in your arms, I felt it at the top of my legs a little :) it would be worth reading up on how to kayak before hand, but even if you have no experience you will be grand. you will also have no problem finding a partner for it, I was lucky and had my hubby but loads of others found someone no problem at all. https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/7-essential-kayaking-tips-for-beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Not sure if this has already been dealt with but on the boards plan are we meant to have total mileage this week of 28miles? If so, where do we add in the extra mileage....is it the warm up/cool down on Sunday?

You will love it, I love that the run is first I think it is much easier to cycle after a run rather than the other way round, on kayaking you will be very happy to hear it wont effect your shoulder ( I hope the physio helps and it gets better for you) , believe it or not you need a strong core for Kayaking and you know when you're doing it right wont feel it in your arms, I felt it at the top of my legs a little :) it would be worth reading up on how to kayak before hand, but even if you have no experience you will be grand. you will also have no problem finding a partner for it, I was lucky and had my hubby but loads of others found someone no problem at all. https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/7-essential-kayaking-tips-for-beginners

Thank you. I have kayaked before and love it, I did a SUP try session a few weeks ago and came to the realisation that I am not a standing up on water person :p

Thank you. I have kayaked before and love it, I did a SUP try session a few weeks ago and came to the realisation that I am not a standing up on water person :p

LOL :) I loved the kayak section as well I am hoping to get out and do more of it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Red_Open wrote: »

Thanks!

The one I copied, and the one in the OP both have Thursday as 4.

Tue - 3, Wed - 4, Thur, 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

You will love it, I love that the run is first I think it is much easier to cycle after a run rather than the other way round, on kayaking you will be very happy to hear it wont effect your shoulder ( I hope the physio helps and it gets better for you)  , believe it or not you need a strong core for Kayaking and you know when you're doing it right wont feel it in your arms, I felt it at the top of my legs a little :) it would be worth reading up on how to kayak before hand, but even if you have no experience you will be grand. you will also have no problem finding a partner for it, I was lucky and had my hubby but loads of others found someone no problem at all. https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/7-essential-kayaking-tips-for-beginners
    Thanks a lot for this. I also signed up for an adventure race this summer. Its a hill run, a cycle and a kayak. Seemed like a good idea at the time - I avoid hills, hate cycling and have never kayaked - so looks like I'll smash it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

You will love it, I love that the run is first I think it is much easier to cycle after a run rather than the other way round, on kayaking you will be very happy to hear it wont effect your shoulder ( I hope the physio helps and it gets better for you)  , believe it or not you need a strong core for Kayaking and you know when you're doing it right wont feel it in your arms, I felt it at the top of my legs a little :) it would be worth reading up on how to kayak before hand, but even if you have no experience you will be grand. you will also have no problem finding a partner for it, I was lucky and had my hubby but loads of others found someone no problem at all. https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/7-essential-kayaking-tips-for-beginners
    Thanks a lot for this. I also signed up for an adventure race this summer. Its a hill run, a cycle and a kayak. Seemed like a good idea at the time - I avoid hills, hate cycling and have never kayaked - so looks like I'll smash it ;-)

• Advertisement

leesider77 wrote: »

Which one are you doing?

Advertisement