Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for this. I also signed up for an adventure race this summer. Its a hill run, a cycle and a kayak. Seemed like a good idea at the time - I avoid hills, hate cycling and have never kayaked - so looks like I'll smash it ;-)

You will indeed ;)LOL it is all good fun which one are you doing watch out on groupon they have deals on lessons for the kayak

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Red_Open

Speaking of adventure races I'd registered for a triathlon before deciding to do the marathon. It's the same weekend as the first 12 mile LSR on the HH1 in about a months time. It's a 1.5 k swim 40 k cycle and a 10 km run. Any ideas on how to manage that and still stick roughly to the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sugar just realised we were supposed to do 4m tonight! I'm so used to do 5k on a Mon night that that's all I did, grrrrr annoyed with myself now :((

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

ariana` wrote: »
    Sugar just realised we were supposed to do 4m tonight! I'm so used to do 5k on a Mon night that that's all I did, grrrrr annoyed with myself now :((

Wouldn't see it negatively, you were still out there. Plenty of things forgotten due to habit/routine - mileage, keys, water, hat, etc! Once you're clocking up the long runs the odd midweek mishap won't matter much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Forecast for Fingal 10K:
    SUNDAY ... Variable cloud, a few showers, highs near 19 C.

I could probably live with that.

I was just checking the route on Google Street View, and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of shade on the route, except for small sections of the country roads. So, "clouds" and "showers" are actually a relief to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Not sure if this has already been dealt with but on the boards plan are we meant to have total mileage this week of 28miles? If so, where do we add in the extra mileage....is it the warm up/cool down on Sunday?

Hi Roland,

Total here is more for those not running the Fingal 10k. I amended it as the original Boards plan (which is what those numbers are based on) did not have the Fingal 10k included. Hope that clears it up :)

Red_Open wrote: »
    Speaking of adventure races I'd registered for a triathlon before deciding to do the marathon. It's the same weekend as the first 12 mile LSR on the HH1 in about a months time. It's a 1.5 k swim 40 k cycle and a 10 km run. Any ideas on how to manage that and still stick roughly to the plan?

Do it instead of the LSR. I wouldn't even dream of trying to combine those two in the one week :eek:

No harm done! Plans have rest/rec on most of the Mondays anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

muddypaws wrote: »
    Which one are you doing?
    Im doing the cavan kayakrun. Went out for a cycle last night in the end and wasn't as bad as expected so feel a bit better about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

spent some time the last few days reading the 2016 novices thread from the day of the race onwards. Some incredible reports that would really inspire you to make sure you get to that start (and finish) line. pretty motivational to be honest

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    spent some time the last few days reading the 2016 novices thread from the day of the race onwards. Some incredible reports that would really inspire you to make sure you get to that start (and finish) line. pretty motivational to be honest

I remember reading it last year and getting goose bumps! Really inspirational reading.

Im doing the cavan kayakrun. Went out for a cycle last night in the end and wasn't as bad as expected so feel a bit better about it now.

Oh that looks good we looked at it but we have something else on that day, I look forward to your report on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

There are plenty of inspirational stories that have come through boards over the years from humble beginnings

From women's point of view Claralara was someone who started running 51 minutes for 5 mile back in 2008 and steadily and progressively went on to become National 50km Champion representing Ireland in the World Championships and also managing a top 10 Irish finish in DCM back in 2013 with a sub 3 performance.

She used to keep fairly up to date logs and can be great for showing how much you can progress with persistence

On the mens side the poster boy for hard work and perseverance still pops in from time to time Krusty Clown

His 1st HM 10 years;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53007059&postcount=6

Since then he has chipped, clawed and bulldozed his way through barriers and targets, his most recent marathon...... 2.30.01, enough to claim first man O45 in Rotterdam this year.

His log has quietened down a little this year but is one of the best reads on the forum (basically nominated best log for the best part of the last decade due to the writing and the achievements)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411238

Both well worth reads to show you just how far you can come no matter what level you are at.

Plenty of other success stories around the place with logs chronicle there journey along the way;

Dubgal72
    Dublinrunner
    jebuz
    Marthastew
    theboyblunder

Happy reading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Quickly learning this running lark can put you in your place if you start getting too big for your boots. After my longest ever run last sat, was feeling pretty good the last day or two. Went out for a run this evening and decide to go a good pace to see how long how I could hold it for. 2m in and calf was in a heap so hobbled him with my tail firmly between my legs.
    Nothing I don't think some icing and a couple of easy days won't sort out but nonetheless, lesson learned !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Quickly learning this running lark can put you in your place if you start getting too big for your boots. After my longest ever run last sat, was feeling pretty good the last day or two. Went out for a run this evening and decide to go a good pace to see how long how I could hold it for. 2m in and calf was in a heap so hobbled him with my tail firmly between my legs.
    Nothing I don't think some icing and a couple of easy days won't sort out but nonetheless, lesson learned !!!!

This is what scares me about the Fingal... 4 weeks of plodding relatively speaking and then a run at a pace at least a minute faster per km than anything done in a month. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Went to the Run Hub yesterday and got myself sorted with some new runners. Ended up with a pair of Ultraboost that I find absolutely cracking. First run with them tonight and felt like I could run forever, felt so good in them I ended up cracking out a short enough 3mi but @ 7:14 mil/min pace. Too fast I know but damn it felt good.

Next on the list is some proper socks, and then try out a gel or so on next week's LSR too.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Went to the Run Hub yesterday and got myself sorted with some new runners. Ended up with a pair of Ultraboost that I find absolutely cracking. First run with them tonight and felt like I could run forever, felt so good in them I ended up cracking out a short enough 3mi but @ 7:14 mil/min pace. Too fast I know but damn it felt good.

Next on the list is some proper socks, and then try out a gel or so on next week's LSR too.

I know everyone is different but can anyone recommend where to even start with gels? Or is there any real food alternative that is easy to carry & eat on a run. I am clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Went out last night with the intention of running at least 10k. I had cycled to work on Monday (85k in total) and thighs were tight, but I had to run as I was seriously falling behind on running, especially with Fingal 10k coming up. I also have this habbit of taking shortcuts as I near home and ending up not doing the distance I set out to. So this time I ran away from home in a straight-line, and somewhere along the way I changed the target distance too. I ran 8.1k away, so I will have to do the same to get back home, making it my first 10 miler ever (new PB of 1h 42m, even if it's somewhat meaningless). While I started off at my default pace of around 5:30/km, it eventually dropped to 6:30/km, starting to feel that my DCM is going to be A LOT slower than I have been telling myself. Finding it hard to stick with the plan in general too.

<--- My Plan
    Me --->

PS: Canal path / boardwalk between Drogheda town and Battle of Boyne center and the visitor center itself is probably one of the best things to happen in Drogheda in last 10 years. Such an awsome facility. Lovely sceneic route, away from road noise and pollution, varied running surfaces - tarmac, gravel path, bouncy plastic boardwalk, cross-country / grass fields etc. Once at Battle of Boyne site, you have plenty of room to make up a run as long as you want, or venture further west along the canal, or Townley Hall etc. Amazing area. Unfortunately for me, I will have to cross the busy town to get to this beautiful part, but small price to pay everything considered. I think I have found my LSR route for the entire training.

I know everyone is different but can anyone recommend where to even start with gels? Or is there any real food alternative that is easy to carry & eat on a run. I am clueless.

yes there is food alternatives Jellies , dried apricots or or you can make yourself a drink Isotonic or hypertonic to do the same thing, I am trying to avoid gels and try other options myself my tummy is a bit sensitive.
    here some recipes for making the drinks.

Isotonic =
    5ooml orange or apple juice
    500ml of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

Hypertonic =
    400ml of orange or apple juice
    1 liter of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

I am studying sports nutrition and we have covered nutrient timing but are looking more in to it on Thursday so I let you know after the class :)

positron wrote: »
    Went out last night with the intention of running at least 10k. I had cycled to work on Monday (85k in total) and thighs were tight, but I had to run as I was seriously falling behind on running, especially with Fingal 10k coming up. I also have this habbit of taking shortcuts as I near home and ending up not doing the distance I set out to. So this time I ran away from home in a straight-line, and somewhere along the way I changed the target distance too. I ran 8.1k away, so I will have to do the same to get back home, making it my first 10 miler ever (new PB of 1h 42m, even if it's somewhat meaningless). While I started off at my default pace of around 5:30/km, it eventually dropped to 6:30/km, starting to feel that my DCM is going to be A LOT slower than I have been telling myself. Finding it hard to stick with the plan in general too.

<--- My Plan
    Me --->

PS: Canal path / boardwalk between Drogheda town and Battle of Boyne center and the visitor center itself is probably one of the best things to happen in Drogheda in last 10 years. Such an awsome facility. Lovely sceneic route, away from road noise and pollution, varied running surfaces - tarmac, gravel path, bouncy plastic boardwalk, cross-country / grass fields etc. Once at Battle of Boyne site, you have plenty of room to make up a run as long as you want, or venture further west along the canal, or Townley Hall etc. Amazing area. Unfortunately for me, I will have to cross the busy town to get to this beautiful part, but small price to pay everything considered. I think I have found my LSR route for the entire training.

Well done on your 1st 10 miler.

Was that supposed to be a PMP run or an LSR? You mention is being your 1st 10 miler so i'm assuming it was your LSR in which case you started too fast (something we've all been guilty off :rolleyes:) unless you are targeting a marathon time of 3hrs 30min (maybe you are, i'm sorry i can't remember). Next time maybe start at 6:00min/km or slower and see how that goes for you? I always try to start nice & slow and then finish a little bit faster if i can... rather than watch the splits drop and drop which can be soul destroying.

The route sounds lovely, i'm jealous ;)

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    yes there is food alternatives Jellies , dried apricots or or you can make yourself a drink Isotonic or hypertonic to do the same thing, I am trying to avoid gels and try other options myself my tummy is a bit sensitive.

Isotonic =
    500ml of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

Hypertonic =
    1 liter of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

I am studying sports nutrition and we have covered nutrient timing but are looking more in to it on Thursday so I let you know after the class :)

Very interesting, you probably shouldn't have told me that i will have you plagued with questions now :pac:

What is there difference between Iso & Hyper tonic? I can see the difference in the ratio of juice:water but i suppose more the difference between when you one need one over the other or why you would choose one over the other?
    Hope i'm making sense. Thanks :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    This is what scares me about the Fingal... 4 weeks of plodding relatively speaking and then a run at a pace at least a minute faster per km than anything done in a month. :eek:
    Was thinking the same myself during my run yesterday - even if Id wanted to I'm not sure I could have run too much faster. But I guess we are training for a marathon and not a 10k so need to take that into consideration.

Baby75 wrote: »

Isotonic =                                    
    500ml of water                                      
    1/4 teaspoon of salt    

Hypertonic =
    1 liter of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

Very interesting! Do you not find that orange or apple juice is  'heavy' for your stomach during a run? I've a dodgy tummy at the best of times so not sure I could tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Gels are gross. Unless you are stuck on a desert island, or doing some long duration endurance sports, you'd never eat one. They have the consistency and taste of condensed versions of sports drinks like Lucozade Sport, as if you'd boiled a bottle down to a gloopy stodgy sugary ooze. They are occasionally adulterated with caffeine which can be a good stimulant, especially if you're a coffee addict. On the positive side you can carry more of them on you easier than multiple bottles of Lucozade Sport or whatever.

In general, you should try some out and see how they go. If they don't work, you could use jelly babies or sports drinks or whatever works to get some carbs into you.

I think these are decent - they are far less gloopy than most gels, go down easy and are easy/cheap to get (regularly available in Lidl):

https://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/isogel/
    https://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/isogel-plus/

I also like Gu Shot Bloks, and some of the Gu flavours are interesting (like espresso), but they're generally only available in fancy running shops and can be a little expensive.

You could go all old school and use Jelly Babies or similar, but these are less efficient than sports gels and contain all sorts of unnecessary other stuff, like fat.

Anyone bought running shoes online? I have done all the gait analysis in a reputable shop mentioned here a few times and tried a few different shoes from them over the years before finding a pair that finally work for me. However,  I will need a new pair before the marathon and they are 130 euro. I've seen them online for alot less but am wary that they wont be the real mccoy. Am interested to hear if others had success buying online.

Anyone bought running shoes online? I have done all the gait analysis in a reputable shop mentioned here a few times and tried a few different shoes from them over the years before finding a pair that finally work for me. However,  I will need a new pair before the marathon and they are 130 euro. I've seen them online for alot less but am wary that they wont be the real mccoy. Am interested to hear if others had success buying online.

Yes, i've currently a pair winging it's way to me from Amazon, just got a text to say they are arriving today :)

And i've previously bought from another online retailer and they were fine. Exact same as the previous pair which i'd bought in local reputable running store.

Have used the below myself

www.startfitness.co.uk
    www.wiggle.co.uk

Never had issues with either. Just worth noting that some of the non main street shops (your Amphibian King, Run Hub, Run Logic etc) are runners themselves and generally good about trying to do best deal for you where possible so might be worth holding off till you are buying a few things (clothes, gels etc) all at once and they will usually knock a bit off. Might not be huge amounts but between that and shipping costs added to the online stuff it might make the savings actually alot less and having the comfort of security of buying from a shop and supporting local business.

Sorry for all the Qs this morning but was looking further ahead on the HH1 plan and notice that because of the HM we have no 18 mile run. Im worried that the jump from 16 to 20 will be too much for me. So how will I fit in an 18 mile too? I was thinking of changing the week 10 LSR to a 16 miles and doing 18 instead of the 16 on week 11. Would it be too much?

Singer wrote: »
    Gels are gross. Unless you are stuck on a desert island, or doing some long duration endurance sports, you'd never eat one. They have the consistency and taste of condensed versions of sports drinks like Lucozade Sport, as if you'd boiled a bottle down to a gloopy stodgy sugary ooze. They are occasionally adulterated with caffeine which can be a good stimulant, especially if you're a coffee addict. On the positive side you can carry more of them on you easier than multiple bottles of Lucozade Sport or whatever.

In general, you should try some out and see how they go. If they don't work, you could use jelly babies or sports drinks or whatever works to get some carbs into you.

I think these are decent - they are far less gloopy than most gels, go down easy and are easy/cheap to get (regularly available in Lidl):

https://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/isogel/
    https://highfive.co.uk/product/hydrate/isogel-plus/

I also like Gu Shot Bloks, and some of the Gu flavours are interesting (like espresso), but they're generally only available in fancy running shops and can be a little expensive.

You could go all old school and use Jelly Babies or similar, but these are less efficient than sports gels and contain all sorts of unnecessary other stuff, like fat.

Thanks for this useful info. I'm going to be in the vicinity of a fancy running shop on Friday so i might pick up the Gu Shot Bloks if they have them. I shouldn't need to many really, should i? Enough to try out on 1 run initially, and if all goes well, maybe a few more to try a 2nd time and then just get a few more for the day itself? Would that be sufficient or should be using them on all our LSRs now?

I did find myself fading last week for the last few km but i think it's a bit early to get dependent on Gels? For now, i'd be as happy to stick with a few jelly beans.

• Advertisement

I did find myself fading last week for the last few km but i think it's a bit early to get dependent on Gels? For now, i'd be as happy to stick with a few jelly beans.

This is perfectly normal to fade you are building strength and the only way you are going to do that is pushing yourself out of your comfort zone slightly on the non easy days.

I would suggest that during training for the most part make sure you are on top of day to day nutrition and stick to using gels only for testing the stomach to make sure you can tolerate them come race day.

Slow the pace down if needed but if you do start to struggle focus on holding form more so than pace in the latter stages as bonking is fine in training but if form goes to muck thats when niggles and injuries can start to crop up.

Advertisement