Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Seeing as niggles are starting to become a bit of a discussion point here I thought might be no harm in chiming in and giving a bit of input.

Unfortunately injuries are very much part in parcel of this sport whether we like it or not and especially in Novice threads simply because aerobic fitness grows faster than structural durability (for most of us the its like putting a 6 litre V8 engine in a fiat punto and expecting there not to be issues)

Here are a few guidelines to try and help people deal with issues in the best possible way to minimize down time.

1) NSAID (Anti - Inflammatories)
    These can reduce swelling and pain but do so by blocking pain receptors to the brain. The injury is still there so it does not become a solution. Recent evidence has also shown that while they reduce the pain symptoms they can also slow down the overall recovery process. My Advice would be use these as a last resort (i.e if the pain is hampering the recovery in itself by preventing you to sleep)

Do not take pain killers to get through races/training

2)Ice
    An old favourite to reduce inflammation but in recent years the good doctors actually started asking what inflammation was actually doing and why we want to reduce it. Turns out the swelling was a part of the healing process so reducing it was actually impeding recovery. There is however like anything an exception. If you have severe swelling which is limiting your range of motion and movement of a limb then icing to bring down swelling can be useful to the overall recovery process

3) Rest/RICE
    This advice has been passed down practically since the dawn of time right? Well what if I told that the doctor who coined it doesn't actually advocate this anymore. This has become a more first aid safety instruction to manage pain rather than actually cure (in particular for soft tissue muscle injuries) Rest and Ice can end up counterproductive for the overall recovery despite reduced pain

4) Active vs Passive Recovery
    Might seem a bit strange but with muscle strains etc when injury occurs the less you use a muscle the more issues it can create down the line. When a muscle tears as it starts to heal and knit back together you want to strengthen new fibres and have them bed in and inherit the characteristics needed in terms of movement to be fit for purpose functionally within the muscle. Rehab exercises over complete rest from 48 hours after an injury can make a huge difference (as an example ankle sprains are about 70% more likely to re-occur without rehab than with)

5) Stretching
    Bit of a controversial one here as there is very little to no evidence to support static stretching in helping reduce injury risk. For many this has them feel like stretching is useless. For me though there are many benefits to stretching in terms of having muscles run through full range of motion to point where it will help your performance and in turn economy which will impact on reduced injury risk in the later stages of a workout where you are fatigued

@deisedude sorry to hear about the shinsplints. For prevention remember the following. The muscle in your shin (Tibialis Anterior) is quite small in relation to muscles in the leg (take a look here to get an idea) as such you need to pay a bit of attention to the calves as these are where most of the bother usually comes from.

Regarding the references to the hips this can be quite common and though it might seem a little strange here is background as to how they can have a knock on effect further down the leg and why

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97831496&postcount=72

Hope this helps someone at some stage (though hopefully not too many of you as we don't want to scare you off running altogether :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

According to the DCM Facebook page....only 100 days to go

Having missed the last 7-10 days of training, my heart sank

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

According to the DCM Facebook page....only 100 days to go

Having missed the last 7-10 days of training, my heart sank

Plenty of time. You've done the right thing getting yourself sorted now rather than aggravating anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Best of luck to all racing this weekend and to the next 2 weeks training - I'll be topping up the tan and the beer belly for the next 2 weeks :)

I'll be casting an eye on Strava though - but still dont know who's who (for the most part).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

Best of luck to all racing this weekend and to the next 2 weeks training - I'll be topping up the tan and the beer belly for the next 2 weeks :)

I'll be casting an eye on Strava though - but still dont know who's who (for the most part).

Enjoy your hols!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Really is crazy how differently you react to runs on different days. Went out for a 4 miler on Tuesday, fresh after a rest day (though had done 13 on Sunday), and was dead after 3 miles. Went out tonight, having played football last night and hit the gym at lunch today (including legs), and comfortably did 5 miles at faster than PMP.

Just gotta keep in your head not to let your down days get ya down. You're gonna have them every so often, and they're normally not a true reflection of where you're at in your training. Just put them behind ya, don't try to chase them, and keep on running! :)

I may not get to post later so best of luck to everyone running the Final 10k this weekend. I'll be looking forward to reading race reports! Hope you all nail it but to anyone who doesn't then that's ok too, you will learn from it, and it's not the main thing after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Best of luck Sunday - might see some of you there though obviously won't have a clue who anyone is!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Yes good luck to everyone running tomorrow enjoy it :D

I am happy to report my leg is better, seeing as it's the first day with no pain at all I am going to wait till Sunday to run, I really do not want to rush it.
    My question is do I stick to planned LSR or run a smaller distance?

I am planning on cycling today and crosstraining with bootcamp for strength training tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ariana` wrote: »
    Does anyone even know how many of us there are now?

I'll see if I can even get a rough idea when I have time later. Last year it was something in the 40s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I'm following Wubble's advice and giving this Fingal a miss so the very best of luck to everyone.

Quick update on myself, did a small 5km around the green yesterday evening. No pain as much, very slight today. 2nd day pain might be worse. Anywho, physio Monday so I'll let ye know

Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement

I'm following Wubble's advice and giving this Fingal a miss so the very best of luck to everyone.

Quick update on myself, did a small 5km around the green yesterday evening. No pain as much, very slight today. 2nd day pain might be worse. Anywho, physio Monday so I'll let ye know

Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragement

Good luck I hope second-day pain does not materialise and physio goes well on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm gonna practice negative splitting at Fingal, picking my goal pace, running the first 5k slightly slower, pick it up then trying a burst for the last mile or so.

Really need discipline at the start, last 10k I did I went out far too fast and struggled in the latter few kms.

I'll be delighted if I get a pb obv, but looking forward more to practising the strategy.

Been thinking the same Lazare. Tough to do when your not used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm just not sure whether I should use my Dunshaughlin time from a few weeks ago as my goal pace or should I adjust for slightly better fitness.

Anyone any advice?

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm just not sure whether I should use my Dunshaughlin time from a few weeks ago as my goal pace or should I adjust for slightly better fitness.

Anyone any advice?

Do you have any idea how the courses compare in terms of elevation etc?

And how did you feel about your performance in Dunshauglin?

If the courses are comparable and you feel you have more to give then why not shoot for a PB? But the course could be tougher or there may be other factors to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Here's the Fingal 10k profile from Race Profiles GPS thread:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/545419653

Looks reasonably flat, although the Boyne 10k profile also looks flat-ish in the graph, but it was anything but.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1706750605

positron wrote: »

Looks reasonably flat, although the Boyne 10k profile also looks flat-ish in the graph, but it was anything but.

Note that the Fingal profile is in feet, whereas Boyne is in metres.

Interesting that the high point of Fingal is apparently at the end of the Main Street, before you turn left onto the bypass. I always imagined it to be away out towards Balheary (5.5k approx.)

You may or may not have noticed that there is a tracker available for family and friends to track you if they wish. IIRC for this race it only shows your finish time.

https://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-FINGAL10K-2017#

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm gonna practice negative splitting at Fingal, picking my goal pace, running the first 5k slightly slower, pick it up then trying a burst for the last mile or so.

Really need discipline at the start, last 10k I did I went out far too fast and struggled in the latter few kms.

I'll be delighted if I get a pb obv, but looking forward more to practising the strategy.

What time are you aiming for? It's a tricky course to negative split as it's quite fast on the dual carriageway which is from 1km mark to about 4K. I'd say even splits is a better target. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

looking at thje profile looks hard to negative split first half seems to be predominantly downhill with the second 5km predominantly uphill.

I know this race isnt my target but Id love to do a sub 50 min on it. I dont think Im in the shape to do it but Im going to go out and try and do a 24.10 first 5km and see if I can come back to break 50.

Cue my post here on Monday saying I did 55 mins or the likes eek lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I did this last year and I did negative split it to come in in 49 mins , I do tend to start races slower and build up, I'm not sure i'll get away with that Sunday so will be trying to keep it fairly steady splits. I didn't really notice the second half been hilly except for the last 1km , here is my splits and elevation according to strava . I think 7metres rise over 1km is not that much .

dJkQhwi.jpg

I did this last year and I did negative split it to come in in 49 mins , I do tend to start races slower and build up, I'm not sure i'll get away with that Sunday so will be trying to keep it fairly steady splits. I didn't really notice the second half been hilly except for the last 1km , here is my splits and elevation according to strava . I think 7metres rise over 1km is not that much .

dJkQhwi.jpg

Excellent, thanks for that :) Massive course PB on the cards for you so!
    It might be more than 7m net gain in the last k this time, as unlike last year when we finished at the bottom of the hill, we're climbing once more to the finish line at the side of Swords Castle this time.

Have never done 10k in a race situation before. Think I'll aim for 45m, as long as the knee and calf feel ok Sun morning, and see what happens. Doesn't work out it doesn't work out - DCM is the aim anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Excellent, thanks for that :) Massive course PB on the cards for you so!

Well that's the plan , but having plans and sticking to them is not something I am great at !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to all of you running the Fingal 10k on Sunday; use this as the first of your prep races for the big day.....I even went to the extreme of wearing my marathon gear for all of the race series events.....always good to practice your routine for the main event as well.

For those not doing Fingal take those LSRs at the weekend easy.....the plans will be ramping up soon.

I am looking forward to reading the race reports when they come in.....like AMK I will be catching up on the Vit D for the next couple of weeks.

Last and not least good luck to Wubble on Sunday aswell! Bring on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had a physio session at the Mayo sports clinic yesterday, brilliant session, looking at my form, how I walk and run, really informative. I now have some exercises to be doing each week, although delighted that he said I actually run well, no over striking etc, just a slight issue with my left leg being stronger than my right, probably due to me landing heavier on it (I think). He also had a good look at my shoulder, and unfortunately he feels that it is adhesive capsulitis, otherwise known as frozen shoulder. So he has written to my GP, and suggested an x-ray and corticosteroid injections :( He gave the area a good massage with heat gel, and it is much improved today, so I will do as he says, and am currently sat here with a heat patch on it.

I went to do a 4 mile run afterwards, but my new runners have caused a blister on my heel, which wasn't too bad on Wednesday, but was very sore yesterday, and as I have a race on Saturday, I decided to cut the session short. I did a one mile loop, then did a 3 mile cycle instead. A minor set back, onwards and upwards hopefully.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I had a physio session at the Mayo sports clinic yesterday, brilliant session, looking at my form, how I walk and run, really informative. I now have some exercises to be doing each week, although delighted that he said I actually run well, no over striking etc, just a slight issue with my left leg being stronger than my right, probably due to me landing heavier on it (I think). He also had a good look at my shoulder, and unfortunately he feels that it is adhesive capsulitis, otherwise known as frozen shoulder. So he has written to my GP, and suggested an x-ray and corticosteroid injections :( He gave the area a good massage with heat gel, and it is much improved today, so I will do as he says, and am currently sat here with a heat patch on it.

I went to do a 4 mile run afterwards, but my new runners have caused a blister on my heel, which wasn't too bad on Wednesday, but was very sore yesterday, and as I have a race on Saturday, I decided to cut the session short. I did a one mile loop, then did a 3 mile cycle instead. A minor set back, onwards and upwards hopefully.

I hope the shoulder improves for you, good luck on for your race on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

positron wrote: »

Note that the Fingal profile is in feet, whereas Boyne is in metres.

Interesting that the high point of Fingal is apparently at the end of the Main Street, before you turn left onto the bypass. I always imagined it to be away out towards Balheary (5.5k approx.)

You may or may not have noticed that there is a tracker available for family and friends to track you if they wish. IIRC for this race it only shows your finish time.

https://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-FINGAL10K-2017#

The only drag out in Balheary is just after the right turn (t junction)at the end of the road from the dual carrigway. Imo The worst drag on the course is in the last 1.5 k to .5 k , up by squibbs and the council yard . The uphill finish makes it a little worse this year but that final hill while steep is short and preceded by a good downhill so you will all be going up that flat out .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

muddypaws wrote: »
    I So he has written to my GP, and suggested an x-ray and corticosteroid injections.

any excuse for PEDs :pac::eek:;)

I expect to see a scan of your TUE forthwith :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

D3PO wrote: »
    any excuse for PEDs :pac::eek:;)

I expect to see a scan of your TUE forthwith :D

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

In all seriousness, if I am going to have to be on a course of them, I'll need to work out when I can have my last one before going to Italy, as the organisation uses the WADA list. Someone got banned a couple of years ago for giving their dogs caffeine, but I don't think any of the humans have ever been caught - yet :p

Advertisement