Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

What is this Strava that keeps getting mentioned ... Can someone give me the quick gist of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

What is this Strava that keeps getting mentioned ... Can someone give me the quick gist of it?

Strava is a website and app used to track your activities during training/runs; and is linked into your GPS tracker if you use one.

As the group grows and you all get to know each other it becomes a good resource for keeping tabs on what you are each up to and the "kudos" you receive from fellow runners is a real confidence boost. Last year there was a Strava Group for the novices which worked well.

I would also suggest thinking about creating a training log on here as well. It is a great way to track your progress and to keep some notes on how things are going......what went well with your run;what didn't go well etc;you will find that you will learn more from ones which don't go well so never be disheartened it is all part of the process and taking that first step out the door is always a positive. It is a great way to get advice from the very knowledgeable folks who lurk around these parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Am I missing something, or maybe I'm just a bit dim? The training plan doesn't start until June, right? What are we meant to be reporting on until then? Is it just our regular non-marathon-training runs?

If so, then last week:
    8.57km @ 7:03 pace*
    8.47km @ 7:07 pace*
    6.39km @ 7.06 pace*
    5.17km @ 6.38 pace (Parkrun) - official 5km time of 34:06

* Total distance includes a warm up and cool down walk (I don't want to be fiddling with my phone to start the run while I'm already out and moving), total approximate running distance for first two is 7.3km and 6.3km for the third.

Also, when will the official 2017 plans be released. The ones in the OP are for 2016. Or do we just adapt them for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've never logged my runs on Boards before so be gentle :)

I've completed week 7 of the Strava half marathon plan. This is in preparation for the Cork Half Marathon on the 4th June.
    I don't do LSR's, I just run at a comfortable pace, but I'll look to try this after the half marathon.

Tues 9th May: 10km 49:07 4:54/km (Elevation gained 101m)
    Thurs 11th May: 12.7km 1:05:21 5:06/km (Elevation gained 140m)
    Sun 14th May: 21.0km 1:49:19 5:12/km (Elevation gained 254m)

Total weekly runs: 43.7km

This is the second week I've run the full HM distance. Really felt it in soles of my feet for the last 3 to 4 km. Recovery was a lot better than a few weeks ago, so it feels like great progress.

This weeks plan looks to be similar but, time permitting I'll try and fit in a short 5 to 8k run on Saturday, before my long run on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

This is the second week I've run the full HM distance. Really felt it in soles of my feet for the last 3 to 4 km. Recovery was a lot better than a few weeks ago, so it feels like great progres.

With you feet been sore May I suggest a foot roller or a golf ball to massage them while you relax/ watch TV

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is there anything as motivating as ticking items off a chart? :D
    In the 2012 thread, an excel-wizard made a Google spreadsheet for everyone to log their miles in. Nothing like the thought of a BIG FAT ZERO after your name to make sure you get your runs done each week! :eek: And pretty cool to see how many miles the group logged over the summer, made it feel more like a team event! :o

Apart from my fiance, and one other friend who also plans to run DCM2017 (hopefully my LSR buddy later in the summer), I haven't told anyone that I'm training for this.
    Until I cross the finish line, I don't want to talk about it (well except for with you guys). Too much can go wrong, and I don't want to be having the same conversation repeatedly all summer. I'll keep my running-bore-chat to this thread until I'm wearing my medal & finisher t-shirt! :D

All quite normal. :p Re telling people, you may change your mind as summer passes by. It can be a secret burning inside of you. People were a little surprised I had booked a place as far back as January - they knew I wasn't messing. There can be a bit of "you better get some training done" from family, er, what do you think I've been doing 4 times a week?! :mad::pac:

Starting a log is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I'd agree with starting a log. I've been keeping one in work since Jan and stragnely look forward to updating it after a run.
      Date Distance (km) Time Avg Pace Felt Weather Time After Food Notes Route Water Intake First Stop Diet

It might be of use to others thinking of starting one. I've 45 logged so far and it's good for figuring out patterns, why bad runs happen etc

Others were talking about watches, I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR and think it's very useful. Got it as a present but I'm finding it very useful for HR tracking, pace etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

As the group grows and you all get to know each other it becomes a good resource for keeping tabs on what you are each up to and the "kudos" you receive from fellow runners is a real confidence boost. Last year there was a Strava Group for the novices which worked well.

How does one join the Boards Strava group if they are already on Strava? . . . might be worth adding to the OP?

Also, "The Boards plan for 2017" is still set up for 2016. Wubble, will you be updating for 2017 as we get closer? Not rushing you, just wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

choons wrote: »
    How does one join the Boards Strava group if they are already on Strava? . . . might be worth adding to the OP?

Also, "The Boards plan for 2017" is still set up for 2016. Wubble, will you be updating for 2017 as we get closer? Not rushing you, just wondering!

Someone needs to set one up for this year and provide a link for it and then people can request to join. Our 2016 one is still active with a good number of us still regularly running, some have made great improvements since last year.

I will drop Wubble a PM on the Strava group and update you later.
    choons wrote: »

• Advertisement

Here is the link to the Strava Club that has been created for the Novices of 2017.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/282063

Hopefully you can join through the link. Let me know if it works.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

3 runs done last week, with an 8m LSR yesterday the highlight so I'm back on course for the Clontarf half.

Was also having another look at Marathon plans (and I'm definitely jumping the gun here) but I'm considering the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan. It seems to be a good compromise between the HH1 and the Boards plans from last year, so I think it might fit my level quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k - Tymon Park Parkrun 29:26
    5 Mile - Doing the Fountain Five in Forest of Dean in England next week
    10k - Searlait Tywang memorial run 14/05/17 1:07:55

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Not usually

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Usually 4 days a week. One sessions of hills, one interval session usually around 7km, one LSR, although not that long in the great scheme of things, 9 miles being the longest then Park Run every Saturday. I also cycle

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    My 5km time hasn't improved as I wished or expected it to, so at the moment I don't have a specified time

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can train 7 days a week if necessary, being a self employed dog trainer, so far all of my running has been with a dog, that will have to change during the summer and when the distances increase. Will follow the boards plan

Why are you running this marathon?
    My Dad always ran, he was still running daily, just a mile or so each day up until the day he was taken ill and given a terminal diagnosis. I wish that I had had the chance to run with him, and as he was a very proud Dub, I think he would have loved it to see me do the DCM. Having lost my son last year, the plan started to form, as getting up and going out running helped me hugely, so combining the two. My son hated running, even though I tried getting him out when he had left school and couldn't find any work, to try and get some kind of routine going, but he wouldn't entertain the idea at all, so I like the irony of that as well, and I think he would have found it funny.

As my 5km time hasn't improved, I'm not sure I will make DCM2017, will see how I get on, but might need to push it back to 2018. However, I did a tough 10K in Castlecomer yesterday, lots of hills and was happy with my time, so maybe 2017 will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I did 3 runs last week, totally 17.5 miles. Aim is to keep running 17-20 mpw for the next 5 weeks. Whatever plan i decide on i hope to start a week early on 19th June to give myself a buffer. I go on hols for a week in August, I will run while i'm away but it'll be a low-mileage off-plan kind of week.
    aloooof wrote: »
    3 runs done last week, with an 8m LSR yesterday the highlight so I'm back on course for the Clontarf half.

Was also having another look at Marathon plans (and I'm definitely jumping the gun here) but I'm considering the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan. It seems to be a good compromise between the HH1 and the Boards plans from last year, so I think it might fit my level quite well.

Hi aloooof i like the look of HHN2 as well, it seems a nice middle ground between HHN1 and the 2016 Boards plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

muddypaws wrote: »
    My Dad always ran, he was still running daily, just a mile or so each day up until the day he was taken ill and given a terminal diagnosis. I wish that I had had the chance to run with him, and as he was a very proud Dub, I think he would have loved it to see me do the DCM. Having lost my son last year, the plan started to form, as getting up and going out running helped me hugely, so combining the two. My son hated running, even though I tried getting him out when he had left school and couldn't find any work, to try and get some kind of routine going, but he wouldn't entertain the idea at all, so I like the irony of that as well, and I think he would have found it funny.

Good luck. It sounds like the marathon will be easy in comparison to what you have gone through already. You will see your 5k times improve dramatically once you're into the longer weekend runs, I'd put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Here is the link to the Strava Club that has been created for the Novices of 2017.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/282063

Hopefully you can join through the link. Let me know if it works.

It works, thanks for setting this up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

Hi everyone,

I would also like to join in this year. Although I did already complete the DCM back in 2015, I still feel very much like a novice, having not managed to keep up running during 2016. 2017 has been a fresh start for me – I have been steadily building up mileage since February and I am absolutely loving it!! I didn’t realise just how much I missed running until I came back to it.

Back in 2015 I just followed the HH plan on my own and luckily made it across the finish line. This time around, I’m doing things differently - I’d like to join in the community and get to know some fellow runners. Thanks to Wubble Wubble for organizing this and hope you guys don’t mind me joining in J

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Dublin Race Series Half Marathon 2015 - 2h:12m

DCM Marathon 2015 – 4h:45m
    5K Parkrun 8th April 2017 - 27m:31s

Battle of Clontarf 10 Mile 17th April 2017 – 1h:33m:40s

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4/5 runs per week including a long run at the weekend, all done at an easy pace but starting to introduce one or two tempo runs per week also. I also do crossfit 2/3 times a week, but try to combine the gym with days where I do shorter easy runs. I am signed up for the Clontarf Half marathon in July so I’m increasing my mileage steadily for that and all going well so far
    J

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

Dream time would be 4:20:00, but honestly I’m just delighted to be back running so once I cross the finish line I’ll be happy
    J

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?

I’ve been managing 4-6 runs per week for the last while so I’d like to give the boards plan a try this time around. Might need to alter the plan slightly as I am getting married in September and going on honeymoon afterwards for 10 days.

After completing DCM in 2015 I knew I would like to run another marathon. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to train consistently last year, with a busy year in work, and buying and moving into our first home, but things have calmed down this year and I feel like I’m a great position and ready for the challenge. Having also lost a close friend to cancer last year, I recognize and am thankful that I’m fit and healthy, and should be out doing the things that I enjoy while I can as life is just too short!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is the 'pacing' even ? by that I mean is every mile/kilometer at close to the same speed ? or could there be considerable variation?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is the 'pacing' even ? by that I mean is every mile/kilometer at close to the same speed ? or could there be considerable variation?.

Do you mean the strategy used by the pacers at DCM? There's a bit to get into here, and some great posts to link to (the pacing group at DCM was originally organised on this forum)... but it's *way* too early to start thinking about that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SoleDiva

Has anyone here done Belfast Marathon or half marathon? If so, how does it compare, elevation wise, to Dublin? I'm just curious as I haven't run much in Dublin, but I've done a few runs in Belfast and loved it. It's quite hilly where I live and I found Belfast quite flat lol. The few short runs I've done in Dublin haven't been flat :-/

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    That is the supposed goal.....but the reality that a good runner wants is a negative split.
    A negative split is first half is slower then the second....in other words the first half marathon is a warm up for the second.

But for most of us.....we run comfortably for the first half and tire for the second...which is why it is stated over and over again, stick with your plan.
    On the day you should feel stronger and fitter then ever but stick with your plan.
    Pacers are running slower then their normal pace and a nice group following a pacer can distract from your struggle with chat and cheer but ultimately they will encourage but not wait for you.
    So I like to keep a half eye where possible on pacers but usually I run my own race and never get disappointed if goal time was missed...it was only missed that day, there are loads of other opportunities, Dublin is but one, even if it is the first

I have joined the Strava group - some queries, if you don't mind:

Are my routes public? I clicked on a few who've already joined and can't see their routes, so I hope that means they're not public as I wouldn't want that information known.

I've used MapMyRun up to now - is there a way I can continue to use this and have Strava pick up the information, or will I have to abandon MMR and download Strave for my data to be included? (Sorry, tech-dunce here!!)

Regarding pacers at the race itself (I know, I know, ages away yet!!!) how many times get a pacer? As in, one every ten minutes, fifteen minutes....? And what would be the slowest pacer that DCM would provide as that's who I'll probably have to run with.

SoleDiva wrote: »
    Has anyone here done Belfast Marathon or half marathon? If so, how does it compare, elevation wise, to Dublin? I'm just curious as I haven't run much in Dublin, but I've done a few runs in Belfast and loved it. It's quite hilly where I live and I found Belfast quite flat lol. The few short runs I've done in Dublin haven't been flat :-/

Dublin is quite level, similar to the Belfast marathon...the big climb in Belfast is around the 12 - 14 mile and followed with a long down hill while in Dublin it is a smaller climb but is at the 21 mile mark, just when you are wondering if this marathon Craic was a good idea.
    But there is plenty of support at this point, don't let them see you walking, you've run bigger hills in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

All quite normal. Re telling people, you may change your mind as summer passes by. It can be a secret burning inside of you. People were a little surprised I had booked a place as far back as January - they knew I wasn't messing. There can be a bit of "you better get some training done" from family, er, what do you think I've been doing 4 times a week?!

Not a hope! This forum is to prevent the secret burning inside me! I don't want to hear the likes of "You're going to run a marathon? How long is a marathon again? Ooh that's very far. How far have you run this week? How fast can you run? That's not very fast. I can run faster than that. Will you run the whole way? How long will that take you? I couldn't run for that long, I'd die... Do you run every day? " etc. And injuries can happen, so I'll keep it under my hat until it's done!

Last time I kept it very quiet. One weekend I went away with friends and they were ordering wine with lunch. I said I wasn't drinking at lunch, but I'd have some wine with dinner. (Wanted to be able for a run the next day.) Only recently one of those friends told me that a "look" went around the table as everyone instantly assumed I was pregnant. :D Cheers ladies, I'd like to think I'd have the discipline to have no wine at dinner either if I actually was pregnant. So if that day ever comes, I'll have to avoid my friends for the first 3 months or they'll be on to my secret!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Jfrost wrote: »
    Dublin is quite level, similar to the Belfast marathon...the big climb in Belfast is around the 12 - 14 mile and followed with a long down hill while in Dublin it is a smaller climb but is at the 21 mile mark, just when you are wondering if this marathon Craic was a good idea.
    But there is plenty of support at this point, don't let them see you walking, you've run bigger hills in training.

I dunno about Dublin being flat. The first 6 miles are mainly up hill until you get to Castleknock. I find the hill just after Chapelizod worse than the hill on Roebuck Rd at mile 21 or whatever it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Not a hope! This forum is to prevent the secret burning inside me! I don't want to hear the likes of "You're going to run a marathon? How long is a marathon again? Ooh that's very far. How far have you run this week? How fast can you run? That's not very fast. I can run faster than that. Will you run the whole way? How long will that take you? I couldn't run for that long, I'd die... Do you run every day? " etc. And injuries can happen, so I'll keep it under my hat until it's done!

Last time I kept it very quiet. One weekend I went away with friends and they were ordering wine with lunch. I said I wasn't drinking at lunch, but I'd have some wine with dinner. (Wanted to be able for a run the next day.) Only recently one of those friends told me that a "look" went around the table as everyone instantly assumed I was pregnant. :D Cheers ladies, I'd like to think I'd have the discipline to have no wine at dinner either if I actually was pregnant. So if that day ever comes, I'll have to avoid my friends for the first 3 months or they'll be on to my secret!

I've already posted up on Facebook that I'm doing it, wanted the extra motivation of having announced it! :pac: OK I'm well aware that I might well still not manage to do it for a million different reasons, e.g. injury etc. But at least the fact that everyone knows I'm doing it means that I can't just decide I'm not arsed or whatever, or else everyone will take the piss of me for it for the rest of forever!

quickbeam wrote: »

Are my routes public? I clicked on a few who've already joined and can't see their routes, so I hope that means they're not public as I wouldn't want that information known.

I've used MapMyRun up to now - is there a way I can continue to use this and have Strava pick up the information, or will I have to abandon MMR and download Strave for my data to be included? (Sorry, tech-dunce here!!)
    I too signed up with this group and haven't used Strava in a while.
    Now I'm a member I can see other runners within the group's uploads.....their maps, their times their pace.
    While you may find sharing is info uncomfortable, trust me when I say we are all in the same boat, covering 26.2 miles by hook or by crook and the little bit of encouragement posted by fellow runners can only help.
    Marathons are about having a good time...getting a good time is a bonus but far from the essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

quickbeam wrote: »

Have a look at the privacy settings. Looks like you can block people who aren't following you from seeing your routes, times etc.

Here's a link on how to transfer your map my run logs to Strava. Not very user friendly if you have a lot. Cant find any way to move new runs from MMR to Strava automatically so you'll probably have to use the Strava or Garmin app. Someone else might know if this is possible...

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917757-Moving-your-activity-history-from-MapMyRun-to-Strava

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    I dunno about Dublin being flat. The first 6 miles are mainly up hill until you get to Castleknock. I find the hill just after Chapelizod worse than the hill on Roebuck Rd at mile 21 or whatever it is.
    I said level while I meant relatively level.....Dublin is saucer shaped so we have to climb out of the saucer first but that is early in the run, and you should be fine...but hills can not be ignored....I prefer them as going up and down allows me to use muscles differently while the constant of a flat course I feel wearing.
    But each to there own

Advertisement