Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

A banscarf.

Female scarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

leesider77 wrote: »
    Water stations were a disaster - you just can't drink out of a cup and keep at a decent pace and at the second one in particular I found it really hard to get going again.

Congratulations on a great race.
    If you squeeze the top of the cup together as soon as you grab it you can almost seal it, then drink through a gap at the corner. It makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Still buzzing after that race. PB to boot.

Reading the reports above and the Strava page, looks like everyone had a great race. This consistent training and following a plan craic seems to work......

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Wow everyone did so great today, well done, it seems to has given everyone a huge confidence boost. I can't wait for the Frank Duffy now...

Can't believe week 4 is over already, seems like only yesterday I was typing my week 3 update, time is flying!
    Good week overall for me, following the boards plan. Legs were sore this morning but have eased out now. Looking forward to marking week 5 off my calendar!!

Monday: strength & conditioning DVD + stretch DVD
    Tuesday: 3 miles @ 10.00
    Wednesday: 6 miles @ 9.25
    Thursday: 3 miles @ 9.32 (too fast and only realised when I got home it was suppose to be a recovery run)
    Friday: rest
    Saturday:13 miles @ 10.11 (tested out a kinetica gel, when down fine, knees a little sore + legs were tired towards the end)
    Sunday: stretch DVD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Enjoying reading the reports. Thoroughly enjoyed the run. Great energy, not too warm, not windy, it was ideal.

Ironically for someone going to run 10k, my day started with a shower. We have been without out water here in Drogheda for over 48 hours at this stage. Conserving water for essential loo flushing etc, a shower was out of question since Friday morning. I had done SOSAD 5k and could not have a shower. A towel bath might be okay if you are Bear Grills, he can get away with it because there's no one for miles around him. Water.ie said things will be fixed at some stage on Saturday, so I headed out to do couple of hours on the bike - covered in sunblock head to toe - and after a lot more sweating, home again with no water, no shower. This is now going up in seriousness from 'uncomfortable' to 'critical'. Predictably, shops were out of water too - unless you fancy washing your face with 500ml bottles of sparkling water that is... I even looked up how to turn cola back into water as 2ltr cola bottles in Lidl were only like 49 cents. The only plus side was that I could imagine people giving me a wide berth to run in the 10k, my personal invisible stink boundary of sorts. Of course, terrible sleep with all this, and with morning came water back on the top. I managed to get a shower (shed a lot of excess weight there) and then had herself and kids drop me off to Swords. Bad news though - when we got back, water is gone again. I can only hope the tank has been resupplied and we can at least continue flushing the loos for next 24 hours..

Race itself was really nice. Ideal weather conditions, no rain or wind, it wasn't too warm either. I placed myself a few meters after the 50m+ sign, and yeah went with the flow. There were folks walking within the first km, may be the nerves got to them. There was a tiny bit of shuffling and sliding sideways thru gaps etc, but nothing major. Everything smoothed out by 2k mark. I didn't have a pace/strategy going into this, other than run at a comfortable pace and hope that I will somehow teleport myself to 50m finish. Fat chance. I was at the right speed for first few kms and then as I hit the backroads, I noticed a lot of people passing me. I was slowing down. I was slowly back at my default pace of around 5:30. I like the water stations - perfect for taking a mouthful of water and off you go. Field around me changing very often I couldn't find a group / runner to hang onto, so I went at it at a okay-effort - I could go fraction faster but just didn't fancy it (not sure why, probably lazyness).

In the end, I got new PB of 54:12, which some 30s improvement over Boyne10k. I would have liked more given that I can now do 5k under 25m, but happy enough with the result. After picking up the gooddie bag, fruits and downing couple or more glasses of water, I ran to Portmarnock where my in-laws live, for a much needed shower. About 17k overall, my LSR for the week I guess.
    What I learned from today is, that I need to work harder, and that I need to drink more. I had only about 1.5 liters of water today during and after the whole 17k, and have been nursing a massive headache since lunchtime, which I am guessing is related to dehydration. Something to keep an eye on.

Suggestion for future event organizers: I assume we want to promote runners walk or use public transport to your events. If so, why not ditch the plastic bag and instead provide a simple cotton backpack? It's eco friendly, another opportunity to spread your branding (hence more add revenue) as people are more likely to reuse it for next season to bring their trainers etc, and it also helps those participants who wants to walk/run to/from your event. Clearly running 7k while trying to hold onto a crumpled up plastic bag gave me loads of time to think about this...

As for the DCM Training, a successful week I think:
    Monday: Cross training 85k cycle
    Tuesday: 16k LSR
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 5k warmup + 5k race (PB 24:45)
    Saturday: Cross training 30k cycle
    Sunday: Fingal 10k (PB 54:12) + 7k cooldown (LSR for next week I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Final time came in at 41.54 which very happy with. Even enough split from what I can work out. Kept the watch on miles and splits for the 6m were :

That's a great effort after all your injury issues. We were probably running near each other at some stage (green/blue singlet, sandy cap and shades)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Omeceron wrote: »
    Are those 6 miles at PMP?

Yes indeed, give them a whirl :) even with a race/LSR this week, you should feel more confident about taking it on :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really well done to everyone who did Fingal 10k today, I love reading the reports. Sounds like there were a lot of PBs.

Week 4
    Min: 5km easy @ 6:30 min/km, avg hr 134
    Tues: 6.5KM easy @ 6:26 min/km, avg hr 141
    Wed: rest
    Thurs: 9.3km pace run @ 5:31 min/km, avg hr 160
    Fri: Yoga class
    Sat: 23km lsr @ 6:27 min/km, avg hr 157

Took a Kinetica gel around 12km on lsr this week. No negative effects. It def picked me up a bit, placebo effect or not who knows! I found my knees sore for the day after this run, especially going downstairs. It took just under 2.5 hrs, by 28km I will be hitting 3 hrs, bit daunting really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

. I really had to dig deep , my mind was telling me how bad a runner I am and I was thinking to a cycle I did up over Howth a couple of weeks ago where I was dropped by someone on the way to summit. I started to question my cardio .

Thanks to all the help in this thread , next target is sub 1:30 half marathon !

re41H0y.png

Very well paced, and fantastic stuff going sub-40! Endurance is definitely your weakness, but you have great speed and can definitely knuckle down and knock out a gutsy race effort. sub-1:30 in the half is certainly do-able, though I think you'll need to bump up the milage (pretty much all easy running and continuing to extend your long run).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Congratulations on a great race.
    If you squeeze the top of the cup together as soon as you grab it you can almost seal it, then drink through a gap at the corner. It makes a big difference.

Cheers for that! Lots to learn. Trying to gulp as I ran must have looked comical - most went all over my face!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

another week in the books and a better one that week 5

Monday 8.75km easy @ 5.44 km
    Tuesday 1 hour cycle
    Wednesday 8km interval session @ 5.45 km pace with 30 second intervals every KM (overall 5.21 km pace)
    Thursday Yoga
    Friday 8.25km recovery run @ 6.05 km pace
    Sunday Fingal 10k 50.15

Well thats another week done. Both happy and disappointed in equal measure after today. As mentioned on here previously I really wanted to do a sub 50 10km and whilst I didn't think I was in good enough shape to actually do it it was my aim. Dissapointed because I was definitely in good enough condition to do it but a lack of racing (only me second ever timed run after DCM 2014) and a lack of clarity on how best to run caught up on me.

I cant believe how nervous I was before the start my HR was in the 130s before I moved from the pens. I didnt even have a clear plan on how I wanted to try and do a sub 50. I was thinking id go out and do a 24.10 first 5 and then hold on and then I thought about doing an even 5 min km pace and hit the last km hard all sorts of things were going through my head.

In the end I decided to let my legs decide how I was going to pace it because my head was a shambles. I spent the first KM wasting a log of energy surging to get past people. I dont mean to be unkind to anybody but to those who went into the sub 50 min pens and were walking after 400 meters quite frankly your idiots. After I got out onto the dual carrageway I managed to settle down into a steady pace and was feeling good.

Then at 3km I got confused as anything. I looked at my watch and my garmin said 3.07km a full 70 meters ahead and it looked like I was running too fast. I got really confused then and wasnt sure was my garmin wrong or was there an issue with the distance markings. I head somebody else comment saying they were off aswell but it threw me as I didnt know weather I was 20 seconds ahead of my pace or actually on pace and I was worried I was haring away at too fast a pace.

Thankfully by 4KM garmin and distance sign matched so clearly the 3km sign was wrong, but I hedged my bets and had slowed down to sit halfway between the possible too fast or on target pace so by 4km now I was 10 seconds behind where I wanted to be. GRRR so I had to pick up the pace a little with the aim to claw back 2 seconds a km till KM 9 to get back on to a 45 min 9km and then put the hammer down for the last KM.

I hit the 9km mark pretty much dead on 45 mins and thought great its hammer time. I knew from this thread there was a hill but I expected more of a pesky drag than an actual hill so my lack of knowledge of the course caught me out. I ended up loosing a chunk of time in the next 650 meters and even with a sprint to the line I could only manage 50.15.

I shouldnt really care given my aim is sub 4hr marathon and 50.15 would indicate that Im capable of that its just I feel I could and should have gone sub 50 so its going to rankle with me till I have another go next year (yes thats right Im now hooked lol)

The T Shirts are nice I must say and for a bald person like me the bandana will come in handy for any running in the sun.

Roll on the 10 miler next month.

Oh and I guess as its only the second ever timed 10k I have in a race technically it was a PB although comparing it to a paced 10km as part of a marathon is a bit of a cheat, but officially Ive just reduced my 10KM PB from 59.04 to 50.15 lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Novices' internal flux capacitors working well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Final time came in at 41.54 which very happy with. Even enough split from what I can work out. Kept the watch on miles and splits for the 6m were :

That's a great effort after all your injury issues. We were probably running near each other at some stage (green/blue singlet, sandy cap and shades)

Thanks gaffer. Genuinely don't think I noticed much around. Got sent a pic of myself near the finish and there's a lad I know about 10 years now 5 yards behind me and I never seen him

misread ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

My second time doing Fingal 10k this morning, and I think I'll continue to do it as long as I'm around. Really well organised, nice course and handy to get to. It doesn't match the Raheny 5 for chocolate in the goody bag though!

I did a good bit of faffing around before the race, so I ended up starting back a bit further back then I would've liked to, but I wasn't too worried cause I like to start slow enough and pick up the pace with each kilometer. I was targeting anything under 40 minutes, so I planned to go out at a touch slower than 4 min/km, about 4:05 or 4:10 and then speed up.

However, the first kilometer was definitely a bit too slow, at 4:28, so I had to step on it a bit earlier than normal. I still wasn't too worried, I just decided to do a few 4 minute kilometers to around the half way mark before doing a few 3:50 until around 8k, and then going for it from then on. And that's kinda what I ended up doing, with each of kilometer 2-6 being 3:58 min/km give or take 5 seconds, then 7 and 8 were about 3:50 min/km, finishing with kilometer 9 and 10 being 3:45 and 3:40 respectively.

That gave a finishing time of 39:00, which I'm very pleased with. I've had a few people (jokingly, in fairness) ask if I'm devastated about not going sub 39, but to be honest I don't mind. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to get too fussed over times (within reason). Even if I had have done 39:59 today, I would've been just as happy as I am now. Sub 40 is the milestone I was after, and after that it's all the same to me until you start getting down towards low 37 and even 35. Anyway, that's just my rambling thoughts, and pretty much what was going through my head for the whole race so I thought I'd get them written down somewhere. Presumably not the greatest method of motivation, but there we go!

Well done again to all today.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi All

So fantastic to see all the wonderful race reports and PB's here from the race! Massive well done to all who completed it. I have no doubt that more than anything it's a massive confidence boost that the training is beginning to pay off and it's a massive tick in the mental strength box to have a positive experience or if not a positive experience to learn something that will save you/pay off on your actual race day. Really wonderful and makes me sorry I wasn't out there racing today.

So for me, lots going on recently. Very busy with life in general but so proud that I've only dropped one session to date and rather than that being due to laziness which all too often gets the better of me it was more a calculated decision as I was suffering badly I think from shin splints but it was just pain on either side of the front of my calves. I think it's just as the mileage was upping and it was my body adjusting. So I took one session off and included an extra rest day and it thankfully things seem to have settled down.

In terms of other lessons learned:

- I have learned that I need to be patient. I've struggled not to beat myself up that I'm not where I used to be. Before, I had the kids I was so much more in shape and acknowledging that I'm very much starting from scratch has been frustrating. There have been many days that I was out there training and I was just plain tired..exhausted and I felt like I would have walked faster. But today I went out and ran and for the first time it felt really good, tough but good tough...enjoyable tough and that's been brilliant.

- I've had to remind myself that this is about completing the event and for me I should not beat myself up over a time. The first time I ran a race I had nothing to compare it to so I felt a sense of freedom. There was no pressure to beat a time. It was just about completing it. But now having done it before, albeit a long time ago I keep feeling this nagging sense of must beat that time...I really want to be sure that that doesn't get in on me and ruin an occasion where not beating the time = failure...That was then and this is now and I need to work with the current circumstances I have.. This does not mean making excuses or putting in less than my all for training but it does mean that you cannot compare like for like. For example I went out and did the first Fairview parkrun and I just died a death..I all the way around and was way off where I wanted to be. But this has lead me to accept that it is what it is and I am where I am and this is all building blocks for the future.

- I got my new Garmin 235 and I'm loving it! Thanks so much for all the recommendations. I'm so glad I treated myself to an early Christmas present.

- Success may always be just around the next corner...like the saying...a bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to turn! I was watching a fantastic documentary on Killian Journet Run and Ski the Seven Summits of Romsdalen. A great watch if you haven't seen it. What struck me was not his unbelieveable fitness or his talent but his attitude. When he didn't succeed at his first attempt his attitude was just brilliant. He was just like it's grand I'll just go out again tomorrow...it was a full month of tomorrows before he succeeded. This attitude has really stuck with me on tough training runs...

- I'm loving the process - I went out and did a 13 mile LSR this weekend and it was just fab. It was a slow pace but I was blessed, it was a Friday, most people were in work and I had the pleasure of being out, the sun was shining and reflecting off the sea as I ran out the Clontarf seafront and across the beach at Dollymount. Irrespective if this being marathon training, it struck me that I was so grateful for the training plan to force me to take this amount of time to just 'be' to enjoy the scenery, to listen to some music and just to enjoy being out in the world. I was grateful that I could be out.

- Trust the plan but know when to change the plan - Once I set the plan I really wanted to stuck to it. I didn't want to miss a session. However, I knew was just plain exhausted and my body was telling me so. I took a day off and I'm just plain glad I did. But it didn't mean I didn't give out to myself for not doing it at the start. Then I realised that a plan is just that....an plan...and we need to be flexible when life doesn't meet the plan.

- It will click - so today as I said I just went out and ran and for the first time I just felt good. The training will pay off.

So this week for me:
    Monday - Off
    Tuesday - 6 miles - some pace miles in the middle - Ave 10:11 p/m
    Wednesday - 3 miles - run with the buggy v slow and easy with the kids - Ave 11:25 p/m
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - 13 mile LSR - Loved this run with 3 fast miles at the end. Ave 11:01 p/m
    Sat - 3 mile recovery run - v slow after yesterday - Ave 11:20 p/m
    Sunday - 6 miles - 5 miles steady pace with 1 mile cool down - Ave 9:38 p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

D3PO wrote: »
    another week in the books and a better one that week 5

Monday 8.75km easy @ 5.44 km
    Tuesday 1 hour cycle
    Wednesday 8km interval session @ 5.45 km pace with 30 second intervals every KM (overall 5.21 km pace)
    Thursday Yoga
    Friday 8.25km recovery run @ 6.05 km pace
    Sunday Fingal 10k 50.15

Well thats another week done. Both happy and disappointed in equal measure after today. As mentioned on here previously I really wanted to do a sub 50 10km and whilst I didn't think I was in good enough shape to actually do it it was my aim. Dissapointed because I was definitely in good enough condition to do it but a lack of racing (only me second ever timed run after DCM 2014) and a lack of clarity on how best to run caught up on me.

I cant believe how nervous I was before the start my HR was in the 130s before I moved from the pens. I didnt even have a clear plan on how I wanted to try and do a sub 50. I was thinking id go out and do a 24.10 first 5 and then hold on and then I thought about doing an even 5 min km pace and hit the last km hard all sorts of things were going through my head.

In the end I decided to let my legs decide how I was going to pace it because my head was a shambles. I spent the first KM wasting a log of energy surging to get past people. I dont mean to be unkind to anybody but to those who went into the sub 50 min pens and were walking after 400 meters quite frankly your idiots. After I got out onto the dual carrageway I managed to settle down into a steady pace and was feeling good.

Then at 3km I got confused as anything. I looked at my watch and my garmin said 3.07km a full 70 meters ahead and it looked like I was running too fast. I got really confused then and wasnt sure was my garmin wrong or was there an issue with the distance markings. I head somebody else comment saying they were off aswell but it threw me as I didnt know weather I was 20 seconds ahead of my pace or actually on pace and I was worried I was haring away at too fast a pace.

Thankfully by 4KM garmin and distance sign matched so clearly the 3km sign was wrong, but I hedged my bets and had slowed down to sit halfway between the possible too fast or on target pace so by 4km now I was 10 seconds behind where I wanted to be. GRRR so I had to pick up the pace a little with the aim to claw back 2 seconds a km till KM 9 to get back on to a 45 min 9km and then put the hammer down for the last KM.

I hit the 9km mark pretty much dead on 45 mins and thought great its hammer time. I knew from this thread there was a hill but I expected more of a pesky drag than an actual hill so my lack of knowledge of the course caught me out. I ended up loosing a chunk of time in the next 650 meters and even with a sprint to the line I could only manage 50.15.

I shouldnt really care given my aim is sub 4hr marathon and 50.15 would indicate that Im capable of that its just I feel I could and should have gone sub 50 so its going to rankle with me till I have another go next year (yes thats right Im now hooked lol)

The T Shirts are nice I must say and for a bald person like me the bandana will come in handy for any running in the sun.

Roll on the 10 miler next month.

Oh and I guess as its only the second ever timed 10k I have in a race technically it was a PB although comparing it to a paced 10km as part of a marathon is a bit of a cheat, but officially Ive just reduced my 10KM PB from 59.04 to 50.15 lol

Loved your report. Felt like my race today only I was over 5 mins behind you. Wouldn't be too hard on yourself - that's an amazing improvement on your last PB. I'll be hoping for that on my half ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Singer wrote: »
    Very well paced, and fantastic stuff going sub-40! Endurance is definitely your weakness, but you have great speed and can definitely knuckle down and knock out a gutsy race effort. sub-1:30 in the half is certainly do-able, though I think you'll need to bump up the milage (pretty much all easy running and continuing to extend your long run).

Thanks Singer , think you are spot on with the endurance , I haven't really trained for a 10k only started training for marathon and doing longer runs recently. My one 10k specific training session was the 3*3k , my drop off in time from McMillan estimates wasn't huge today but I reckon as I up the distance the drop off will be greater.

Today was a learning curve sub 40 is hard without specific 10k training and high volume , only a month now until 10 mile race, are you even supposed to race this race series if your training for a marathon? I've never raced these distances so it will be another learning curve. I'll keep to the plan and see how it goes , I'm only really running more than once a week a year now so if I mess up all my races I can come back in 2018 stronger and wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done everyone great running :) I am enjoying reading all the reports and a little envious, I am off next to check out strava.

I ran for the first time in a week, only managed 5 miles it was a bit of a hilly route and I had to stop and stretch my glutes and hip flexors, they are really tight and my right side was hurting a lot, I had to walk at one point as it was cramping ran fine after the walk and enjoyed the last 2km and happy that at least my shins are better

hopefully back to normal running this week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great post excitementcity, I've got to check out that doc, is it on Netflix?

Really enjoyed all of today's posting. Well done all.

well just looking at my next few weeks training schedule completely oblivious to the fact the rock n roll half is now less than 3 weeks away !!

In my head my next race was going to be the Frank Duffy 10 miler. From my training schedule I wont have gone beyond 12 miles for an LSR before the rock n roll.

Im signed up to the Dublin Half aswell so do I just use the rock n roll as a training run as an LSR and use the Dublin as a proper gauge on my conditionn ? Or do I try and do a modest enough pace for sub 4 hr training (aim to go with the 2 hour pacers or the 1 hr 55)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Well done for everyone who did the Fingal at the weekend, while i'd have loved to do it, was better I didn't

Last week
    Saturday - Cycle 33km - mostly hills
    Sunday - rest - foam roll and strength
    Monday - Foam roll
    Tuesday - Cycle 34km - hills
    Wednesday - Swim and strength
    Thursday - Run 4.8km at 5.50km/min
    Friday - Foam roll and strength
    Saturday - house hunting
    Sunday - run 8km at 6.23km/min

Moral of the story, no pains in legs from 2 runs this week. Out of physio this morning and she's very happy with progress. Allowed back on plan albeit with no intervals like the Munich Mile so more like 400m types.

All in all, it's been a very good week.

10km tomorrow night on grass down the park and then a 14-16km I think on Thursday as have a wedding to go to at weekend so need to get a LSR in

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Well done everyone on the 10k at the weekend. I’m a bit jealous seeing all those fast times. There really seems to be some great runners on here. Can’t wait to do a race now.

Anyway here is my update.

Week 4
    Day Activity Time Pace
    Mon 5m 48:20 9:40
    Tue Circuit class
    Wed 5m 45:55 9:10
    Thur Box fit class
    Fri 5.15m 49:19 9:35
    Sat 13.1m lsr 2:09:55 9:55
    Sun Rest

This was a good week as in I felt good and not too tired. Monday was a mile short on plan purely because I didn’t look at the plan before I went out and didn’t realise it was supposed to be 6m. Big problem though in that I still really need to slow down. All runs were done way faster than PMP. LSR really needs to be about a minute slower. Idea is to do Mon and Fri easy and Wed at Pace or that but obviously not happening at the moment. My PMP which is possibly optimistic is about 10.30/10.40!!
    So plan for week 5 is to really focus on slowing pace for easy and long runs.
    Also I’m Laura on Strava for anyone following there:) 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

brownbinman that's great good luck with getting back on plan this week

So my training the last week, I was not going to report as it has been cycling all week apart from Saturday 15th which I counted as my long run as it was 47km all in an Adventure race.
    Sunday was rest with some walking
    Monday cycling 45.6km easy pace
    Tuesday cycling 29km hills
    Wednesday spinning class 1 hour
    Thursday walking ( stretching foam rolling)
    Friday cycling and walking easy ( never counted the distance)
    Saturday cycling 30.50km Hills ( got my new racer so had to try it out LOL)
    Sunday run ( yay) 5miles easy average pace 10.44 ( hips were tight so loads of stretching and foam rolling and much better today)

So I am also hoping to return to plan this week, but feeling a little nervous about running Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday

Would it be possible to cover the planned distance but run Tuesday & Thursday instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Great work on the 10k people; the PBs being racked up made me equally inspired and jealous! Especially whoever it was who said 'i was aiming for sub 50, but did it sub 45..... !! nice!

Anyway i couldn't do the 10k but gave the Parkrun a fair sprint in solidarity and ended up just 10 secs outside PB which i was happy with as i hadnt done a parkrun in ages (or anything at full tilt) and they changed the course layout so i wasnt sure what i was doing. Anyway, other than that, here is my Week 4 report

Week 4

Mon: 4.6m @8.54
    Tue: 4.5m @ 8.35
    Weds: 5.3m @ 8.13 (a little faster than PMP)
    Thurs: 4.5m @ 8.41
    Fri: Rest (and Pints)
    Sat: Parkrun 3.1m @ 6.54 [23.11]
    Sun: LSR 4: 17m @ 9.03 [generally felt good throughout though times took a noticeable drop off from miles 7 - 10 (though i didn't really feel myself going slower); a good bit of that was on dollymount strand where i haven't ran before and the underfoot conditions were a little uneven so im putting it down to that (+ dehydration); had some water and a jelly baby at 10m and remainder was much more comfortable and times better; felt reasonably fresh finishing and was able to do the last 3m or so at close to, though not quite, PMP without too much difficulty)

Total: 39.1 miles

Pace discipline improving but slowly.

Was nice to do a fast Parkrun as i was getting worried that running slowly has trained my body into thinking that was the only way i could run now; mind you, i am regretting not signing up to another race between now and the Race Series HM - i will only really be able to judge my PMP on a single HM. The Rock & Roll half is on a very awkward day, and i'm loathe to pay €50 for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm still shattered from Saturday's adventure race, the adventure bit was accidentally falling hip deep into bog water, thankfully only one leg, so could be pulled out quite easily, and it was actually quite nice and cooling! I was running along quite happily and at a decent pace when we were on the road, then we went onto the trail and went up - and up - and up, was looking forward to the downhill, but it was across bogland, so no proper running down. Cycled very hard, but then could barely walk after that, let alone run to the kayak section. It took a lot longer than I expected, but I wasn't alone with that, met up with a local park runner, so had company and we kept each other going. It was probably very good training for my legs, to keep going, when there was nothing left in them.

Just going to put the elevation in as my excuse, the first five miles were the main running section :D

423209.jpg

I'm soooo looking forward to the 10 mile LSR this week, probably going to run it tomorrow as I'm away for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just found out I have to go to America for a week from Sept 25th-Oct 2nd. Couldn't be worse timing in terms of training, the 2nd 20 miler is that weekend and a long mid week run too. Any advice on how to manage this?? I will hopefully run while over there i hope but 20 miles will be difficult and most likely i won't be sleeping or eating as good as normal either. Bad timing. I'm feeling very worried and upset about it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

ariana` wrote: »
    Just found out I have to go to America for a week from Sept 25th-Oct 2nd. Couldn't be worse timing in terms of training, the 2nd 20 miler is that weekend and a long mid week run too. Any advice on how to manage this?? I will hopefully run while over there i hope but 20 miles will be difficult and most likely i won't be sleeping or eating as good as normal either. Bad timing. I'm feeling very worried and upset about it right now.

Is where you're headed a major city? Bound to be a running club somewhere if you needed support.

Just my 2c, leave the run to day 5 (day 6 might involve drinks if it's work) and don't do anything during the week

• Advertisement

I think it will be ok for you Ariana. I have a friend training for DCM whos had a bit of travel interrupting his training including to North America. Hes used the time difference to his advantage and done morning LSRs which is fine for him as hes been able to get up early due to time difference have his breakfast 2 hours before the run and then run.

If you can get out early enough breakfast at 7am run at 9am you will be fine unless your just restricted by lack of time.

Brownbin is spot on though google local running clubs and Im sure they will have a group that would be happy to help you out in whatever way(s) you need.

Advertisement