Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    10 mile LSR done tonight, delighted to have it out of the way. Was tough but ran it with a woman I met at the adventure race on Saturday, who often volunteers at my local park run. We chatted the whole way round, and ran roads that I have never run before so was quite interesting.

I'm flying to London tomorrow and had planned on doing a park run there on Saturday morning, that would mean a 7am alarm call. Have been told that most of Saturday's wedding guests are meeting up for dinner and drinks Friday night, so am thinking of a 3 mile recovery run tomorrow instead, so that I can stay out late if I want to. Or is it completely stupid to run 4 days straight including my longest run to date? I could go for a run on Sunday morning before checking out of the hotel I guess.

This is the most important one, and you have it in the bag :D

Don't put yourself under too much pressure to run in England. Probably 3 mile rec tomorrow is best, if you can find the time. Sure hope you enjoy it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/new

This app is great, I used it quite a few times for DCM 16 when running the route on LSR's. Best to create a free account. You can create a route on the phone or on a pc then use the app when you run.
    It will give you turn by turn navigation. You can also add custom notifications, which is handy when you're on a long straight as you can get it to remind you the next turn is in 1 mile or something like that.

This is something I've been looking for too. Thanks a mill, looks perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

leesider77 wrote: »
    Running can be cruel sometimes. From the euphoria of Sunday to rock bottom yesterday :-( I went for my 5 mile as planned yesterday and it was an awful run in the pouring rain. When I came home my left leg was sore. I stretched and rolled it but this morning it was way worse. My entire leg from hip to foot was sore in different places. Luckily the sports clinic had an appointment this evening available so decided not to waste any time and spent 1 and 3/4 hours with the Physio. Good news is that it doesn't look too serious - a weak hip and glute that needs strengthening. The bad news is that although I can run ( very slowly and building only at a km at a time with step backs if anything hurts afterwards) I need to take a break from the plan for next few weeks.

It would most likely have happened eventually but the exertion of fingal 10km probably brought it on faster. I'm being positive and saying I'll be back to run FD and half but please someone quote me and remind me I need to take these next races easy when I mention the word PB :-) I have one goal and it's to get to end of October and be at the start line.
    Hope you're back in the plan soon, its great you got seen so squick . Did physio advise if there's any other forms of cardiovascular exercise you can do in the meantime whole you build back up the running?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

ariana` wrote: »
    Hope you're back in the plan soon, its great you got seen so squick . Did physio advise if there's any other forms of cardiovascular exercise you can do in the meantime whole you build back up the running?

Thanks a lot! I asked him if hillwalking and cycling the wild Atlantic way next week was advisable - he looked at me strangely so think he was afraid to advise any cardio as I'd go overboard ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

muddypaws wrote: »
    10 mile LSR done tonight, delighted to have it out of the way. Was tough but ran it with a woman I met at the adventure race on Saturday, who often volunteers at my local park run. We chatted the whole way round, and ran roads that I have never run before so was quite interesting.

I'm flying to London tomorrow and had planned on doing a park run there on Saturday morning, that would mean a 7am alarm call. Have been told that most of Saturday's wedding guests are meeting up for dinner and drinks Friday night, so am thinking of a 3 mile recovery run tomorrow instead, so that I can stay out late if I want to. Or is it completely stupid to run 4 days straight including my longest run to date? I could go for a run on Sunday morning before checking out of the hotel I guess.

UK Parkruns are 9am rather than 9.30 in Eire . . . just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

choons wrote: »
    UK Parkruns are 9am rather than 9.30 in Eire . . . just in case!

Thank you :) Sometimes I wish it was the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got out for my 5m this morning. Looked a lot colder then it was so I wore a long sleeve half zip, was absolutely roasting out! Took a trip to Ashtown to go the run hub, picked up a few bits and headed home.

Rest tomorrow and LSR on Sunday, longest run so far looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I did my last run of the week, 3 mile recovery run in malahide castle on the wayish to the airport. Have just had a steak sandwich and a pint. I may fall asleep on the plane.

No running till Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I picked up a heart rate monitor today it was on sale, tried it out at rest and I am hoping it was my coffee and hour cycle that had my heart rate so high 130. I did try it out on a little run to the shop and it was fine then and perfect for exercise LOL going to try it out on my LSR on Sunday :)

Muddypaws have a great weekend :) well done on the LSR and recovery run

leesider77 I hope the leg gets better quickly so you are back at it in no time! it's horrible having to take time out from running but your right eyes on the bigger prize, I found cycling excellent when I was not able to run, I just stretched loads and foam rolled as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Baby75 wrote: »
    I picked up a heart rate monitor today it was on sale, tried it out at rest and I am hoping it was my coffee and hour cycle that had my heart rate so high 130. I did try it out on a little run to the shop and it was fine then and perfect for exercise LOL going to try it out on my LSR :)

I find the heart rate monitor great. It's of great benefit when it comes to easy and long runs as it lets you know if you are working too hard whether you feel it or not. It's just so important to get an accurate resting rate, max rate and heart rate reserve and then calculate the range you should do each type of run in.

I see people refer to their heart rate while training as if it means something as a stand alone figure. If you use it its so important to learn how to use it properly. It is also a great confidence boost to see your heart health improve. My own resting heart rate has dropped from 61 to 47 after 3 months running. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

I thought I'd get my report in early.

Monday - plan called for a rest day, as always on a Monday but probably made more sense on this particular Monday than most after the Fingal 10K. I still ignored it though. I always like to start the week with a run, as it feels like it gets the week in to the right gear, and preferably with my LSR too, to get it over with quicker. Well, I ignored the rest advice, but at least I didn't ignore the LSR advice as that would have been just too much after 10K. So instead, I did just 5.15km at 7:22 pace, which is just about the slowest I've ever done that particular circuit. And I sort of regretted it too, as I did start to feel niggles in my joints and muscles that I never felt before. I probably should have stuck to having the rest.

Tuesdsay - rest, at last.

Wednesday - LSR. 16.22km at 7:41 pace. Was very pleased to have done the distance, but it was a very, very tough run. The weather wasn't great, which didn't help (I don't mind cold or rain, but the wind was a bit of a hindrence). But I kept it slow, and felt relatively okay for most of it. But for the last 2km the same joint/muscles that hit me on Monday started acting up. I ran through it, and got home. So, pleased to have done the distance, even if it didn't feel that great while it happened. A few notes: I wore my new bandana for it - was a bit of a help keeping the hair in place in the wind! :) I took fuel with me, just in case, but didn't use it. I'd used it on my previous longest, 14km two weeks previously just as a test to see if the stomach could cope with it, so once that test is done, I'll probably do without until I'm doing much longer distances.

Thursday - very well earned rest.

Friday - 7.87km @ 7:18 pace - a PB on that route. The first run of the week that I actually felt okay with, no joint or muscle niggles, thankfully, and actually quite an enjoyable run.

Saturday - Parkrun at 6:41 pace. Grand, no niggles.

Sunday - planned rest day.

So, a nice step-back week next week. I look forward to it. After that the runs get longer again, which is a bit of a dread considering how I faired with 16km this week. But I may surprise myself. Looking at the plan I've 12 more runs of 16km or more to do, including the marathon itself. Just a matter of ticking them all off at this stage, I guess. W/C 2nd Oct should be *interesting* - a 16km AND a 32km .... yikes!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

(Oh, also to add, that after my Wednesday morning LSR, for a brief moment in time I was second on the Strava club leader-board!!!, with the only one ahead of me not even a novice (if they're who I think they are). Should have taken a screen-shot, that won't be likely to happen again!!!! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

drkpower wrote: »
    Jelly babies vs gels

I tried jelly babies for first time on 17m LSR at the weekend and they were great; helps that they taste 'normal' and im used to them already - im dreading using gels; i'm not good with clawing artificial tastes, and i have enough bothering me on a long run without adding to my woes.

If you can take what some dude on the internet (below) says as gospel (which of course you can) it seems that nutritionally there isnt a huge amount between a gel and about 6 jelly babies, so they might be interchangeable [other than having to pop them more often (which i think i would welcome psychologically, rather than waiting for my 'hit')]. The absence of caffeine might be a problem though - is there a starbucks on the marathon route....?

http://traildragon.co.uk/2011/08/jelly-babies/

I no expert but the main ingredient in an energy gel is Maltodextrin (spelling) which is a carbohydrate powder made from wheat and not glucose.

look whatever works I guess but the internet is full of a load of information and tbh whats true and whats not who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ran the 15 mile LSR this morning and scoffed 5 jelly babies after 10 miles with around 300ml of water.
    Had no issues with them and my belly was not upset. I don't think I felt any energy boost from them either though!
    Delighted with my long run though. Felt good all the way through and could have done an extra mile or two mentally and physically. I've been feeling a niggle in my knee since the Fingal 10k so I didn't want to push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

some of you guys seem to be far far more advanced than I am in my plan.

Off to do my LSR this week in the next hour but its only 10 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ah feck!

Just copped I was supposed to do 15m today. I had it in my head that it was 14 mile for some reason.

Did just shy of 14.5, so close enough I suppose. There was me thinking I gave it a bit extra :)

At least the Garmin shows a half at last though.

Strange week for me.

Still felt a little broken up from Fingal on Tue morning so decided to run a 4m recovery instead of easy.

Had to drive up and back to Galway on Tuesday for work and got delayed down there so got home late wrecked tired. Was debating whether to defer the Wed session to the evening but I hated the idea of that as it throws the rest of the week out of sync for me, and I don't like evening running. Went to bed at about 10 and set the alarm for 6 anyway to see how I felt.

Woke up feeling great and had a great session, really enjoyed it, the strides were great as usual. The quads felt heavy for the first one, but the rest of them went great.

Thursday was weird, really really struggled through it. I was scratching my head afterwards, especially after Wed going so well.

Had a really great LSR today, practiced fuelling on it. Took a high5 gel before I left the house and drove to the park. Took another at 10k, made sure I was near a shop at Ringsend just in case I needed water but didn't. Took another at 18k, mainly to try a different flavour. Ran up the kyber in the park at about 20k and felt really strong going up it, kept pace with two cyclists which was fun.
    As I said above, I mistakenly thought today's run was a 14 miler so at 22.4 I decided to carry on until 23k and see how I felt upping the pace. Ran that last stretch at 10k pace and felt really comfortable. Gave me a huge confidence boost and showed me the fuelling worked well.

Two great runs, two bad ones, but another week chalked off.

Go us.

Well done to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In terms of effort does about 30 seconds a mile slower make a 17 mile run equal a 15 mile?

I'm due to do 17 tomorrow and am frankly scared of it, longest so far was 15 over a month ago (half and 10k races in between and a calf injury) and found the last couple of miles of that very tough.
    I do feel a bit fitter now that said but am thinking the best approach is to take it slower. The 15 miler was at 8:35 pace, am thinking tomorrow will try it at 9:00'ish pace instead and hope for the best.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Had a rough week was very tired , which is unusual for me. Fingal was Sunday and my next run after that was Tuesday which I did an interval session instead of an easy run. I was still tired so dropped the bike commutes , woke up this morning with a headcold and sore-throat which is obviously what had me tired start of week.

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 3k warm up 4*1 mile (6:10/6:07/6:39??/6:01) 400m jog recoveries between , 3k cool down
    Wednesday - Run home from work 15k
    Thursday - 1k warm up 8k @4:30per km was the plan (did 20 laps of trinity track averaged about 4:25)
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Parkrun ( I was very stuffy couldn't breathe decided to run hard to try clear myself out!) 19:42 which is not far off pb on this course
    Sunday - plan is 24km slow run with a mate , i'll be taking it handy.
    Weekly mileage/kilomileage should be 67km which will be highest I've ever ran , dropping the bike commutes is handy feel like I've saved 3 to 4 hours of cardio with no real loss.

Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Baby75 wrote: »
    I picked up a heart rate monitor today it was on sale, tried it out at rest and I am hoping it was my coffee and hour cycle that had my heart rate so high 130. I did try it out on a little run to the shop and it was fine then and perfect for exercise LOL going to try it out on my LSR on Sunday :)

Muddypaws have a great weekend :) well done on the LSR and recovery run

leesider77 I hope the leg gets better quickly so you are back at it in no time! it's horrible having to take time out from running but your right eyes on the bigger prize, I found cycling excellent when I was not able to run, I just stretched loads and foam rolled as well :)

Hey Baby75, just wondering what heart rate monitor did you get, is it one that goes around your chest or waist. If it's the chest one how comfortable is it? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Another week marked off the calendar!

Monday: the usually strenght & conditioning DVD

Tuesday: 4 miles pace 10.01

Wednesday: 6 miles pace 8.57 + 5 x 100m strides (pace was a little bit quicker than usual but was trying to get out of the park before they locked the gates!)

Thursday: 4 mile pace 9.37 (again a bit quicker than usual but though maybe my fitness was improving

Friday: rest

Saturday: 15 miles pace 10:50

Felt good going out for this run today, this morning, first 8 miles were good, did a loop back to the car for a gel and some water and set off again. Towards the end of the run my legs were so tired, couldn't wait to be finished! I'm now thinking my LSR pace will be my marathon pace, I can't imagine being able to run any faster for longer than I did today :(

Another week marked off the calendar!

Monday: the usually strenght & conditioning DVD

Tuesday: 4 miles pace 10.01

Wednesday: 6 miles pace 8.57 + 5 x 100m strides (pace was a little bit quicker than usual but was trying to get out of the park before they locked the gates!)

Thursday: 4 mile pace 9.37 (again a bit quicker than usual but though maybe my fitness was improving

Friday: rest

Saturday: 15 miles pace 10:50

Felt good going out for this run today, this morning, first 8 miles were good, did a loop back to the car for a gel and some water and set off again. Towards the end of the run my legs were so tired, couldn't wait to be finished! I'm now thinking my LSR pace will be my marathon pace, I can't imagine being able to run any faster for longer than I did today :(

Well done!! Don't rule out doing the marathon at the pace you want. Remember as the training ramps up so do the benefits we will get from it. Also we are now training to run on tired legs and even if we don't notice it we are feeling the accumulation of miles and sessions. We will start the marathon fresh and well after a taper please God! Maybe slow your pace runs to where they should be so that muscles are fresher come LSR day?

I can share your pain though. I did a little over 16 miles today, my longest run ever, and the same thought of having to run 10 more miles on the big day seemed fanciful! I'm putting my trust in the plan to get me there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I find the heart rate monitor great. It's of great benefit when it comes to easy and long runs as it lets you know if you are working too hard whether you feel it or not. It's just so important to get an accurate resting rate, max rate and heart rate reserve and then calculate the range you should do each type of run in.

I see people refer to their heart rate while training as if it means something as a stand alone figure. If you use it its so important to learn how to use it properly. It is also a great confidence boost to see your heart health improve. My own resting heart rate has dropped from 61 to 47 after 3 months running. :)

I used it today on my cycle and it interesting trying to interpret the data, I will be doing a lot of reading until I understand it all and hopefully see the benefit
    D3PO wrote: »
    some of you guys seem to be far far more advanced than I am in my plan.

Off to do my LSR this week in the next hour but its only 10 miles.

I am doing my LSR of 10miles tomorrow morning so you're not alone, good luck
    Hey Baby75, just wondering what heart rate monitor did you get, is it one that goes around your chest or waist. If it's the chest one how comfortable is it? Thanks

I got out of Lidl in Carlow they had a few left in the sale section, it has a chest strap and I wore it today it is very comfortable and I never even felt or noticed it :) I have connected it to Endomondo for now as I have the premium account with them I was upgraded when I got a new phone , you can connect it strava if you pay the registration.

Well done to all getting out on the long runs, I guess it really ramps up now!

The Strava flybys are so cool, such amazing tech.

I love checking it out after I've ran in the park to see if I've unknowingly crossed paths with any of you guys.

Or, remembering a point in your run where you crossed someone else and checking to see if they're on Strava, and what they were up to.

Awesome after a race too.

Such a cool feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Tough 15 Miles today. Struggled from 11 miles onwards. 2 packets of jellys really helped me finish. My legs were very sore when I got home. I soaked them in a cold bath which helped. I haven't felt right all day tired, sore, headache.

I missed Wed and Thurs run due to being sick.

Roll on the 16 miles next week!

Omeceron wrote: »
    Tough 15 Miles today. Struggled from 11 miles onwards. 2 packets of jellys really helped me finish. My legs were very sore when I got home. I soaked them in a cold bath which helped. I haven't felt right all day tired, sore, headache.

I missed Wed and Thurs run due to being sick.

Roll on the 16 miles next week!

Haha, that's the warrior attitude. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Lazare wrote: »
    Haha, that's the warrior attitude. :)

Ha, by 12 miles Id quit the marathon and running forever. Still managed an extra .1 just to ensure it was my longest ever run.

Lazare wrote: »
    The Strava flybys are so cool, such amazing tech.

I love checking it out after I've ran in the park to see if I've unknowingly crossed paths with any of you guys.

Or, remembering a point in your run where you crossed someone else and checking to see if they're on Strava, and what they were up to.

Awesome after a race too.

Such a cool feature.

Yeah still trying to fully figure it out. What are the numbers on the grid with the list of names? Trying to put names to boards names isn't easy either. I reckon I have about 10 worked out!!

Has anyone planned anything like this if they survive?

• Advertisement

Haven't fully figured that out, one of those fields is to do with how close you were to someone.

Advertisement