Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Trying to put names to boards names isn't easy either. I reckon I have about 10 worked out!!

Yeah, I'm finding that difficult, have about 5 figured out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm finding that difficult, have about 5 figured out.

Maybe we should all come out!! Name our names!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Omeceron wrote: »
    Tough 15 Miles today. Struggled from 11 miles onwards. 2 packets of jellys really helped me finish. My legs were very sore when I got home. I soaked them in a cold bath which helped. I haven't felt right all day tired, sore, headache.

I missed Wed and Thurs run due to being sick.

Roll on the 16 miles next week!

what did you eat before your run? what did you eat/drink right after your run?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

El Caballo wrote: »
    what did you eat before your run? what did you eat/drink right after your run?

I had 2 weetabix and drank some water before the run. The same as every other LSR.
    I had water stashed and took 2 gels and 2 small packs of jellys during the run.

Had some scrambled eggs and toast within an hour of finishing. Went for a nap for about an hour after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I had 2 weetabix and drank some water before the run. The same as every other LSR.

Had some scrambled eggs and toast within an hour of finishing. Went for a nap for about an hour after that.

All sounds good in relation to diet, thought it might be dehyration or hypoglycemia but maybe not although getting some fast acting carbs into you almost right after the run might help with the headaches, something like chocolate milk, electrolyte drinks etc. possibly could just be exertional headaches but I'm not sure

You put me to shame for preparation! I'm trying to get my body to adapt to running when fatigued. So far no gels or no water on runs. I eat pasta the night before a LSR and drink a pint of water before I go on the run. Afterwards it's a litre of chocolate milk! :D

El Caballo wrote: »
    All sounds good in relation to diet, thought it might be dehyration or hypoglycemia but maybe not although getting some fast acting carbs into you almost right after the run might help with the headaches, something like chocolate milk, electrolyte drinks etc. possibly could just be exertional headaches but I'm not sure

I was sick last week and missed the Fingal 10k and a couple of runs so possibly that. Was feeling I needed more water before the end so Ill stash some a couple of miles from the finish for next week.
    You put me to shame for preparation! I'm trying to get my body to adapt to running when fatigued. So far no gels or no water on runs. I eat pasta the night before a LSR and drink a pint of water before I go on the run. Afterwards it's a litre of chocolate milk! :D

The gels in previous runs were for testing and practice purpose. Today was the first day I felt I needed them.

Ill get some chocolate milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Omeceron wrote:
    Tough 15 Miles today. Struggled from 11 miles onwards. 2 packets of jellys really helped me finish. My legs were very sore when I got home. I soaked them in a cold bath which helped. I haven't felt right all day tired, sore, headache.

I've struggled to sort out my in run nutrition too. The rule that seems to come up most often is, your body has 90 minutes of exertion (regardless of pace) worth of energy. Anything longer, you need fuel.

My pace is somewhere between 10 and 11 minute miles, so I've been practicing fuel for a while. I've found it useful to keep a food log along with my running log, to track issues and what i was eating around that time.

Might be worth trying it out, see if you notice any trends.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

15 miles....longest run ever done. Tabhair dom an caca milis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

15 miles....longest run ever done. Tabhair dom an caca milis!

Well done! caca milis very much deserved! :D

Weekly Update
    Finished my hardest LSR today, didn't think I'd get to the end at all for a bit.
    Woke lateish (8.30) so had to start in 30deg and climbing. Going very strong for the first half until combo of hot spot on ball of foot and nipple pain forced a pit stop :o.
    Fresh socks, new dry top, some tape and I felt like a new man, but felt weak as a kitten once I got going again! Don't think stopping suited me, but heat was probably the biggest factor.
    Very glad to see the end of that one.

Mon - 3m recovery (9.01 pace, with a gang)
    Tue - 6 x 850m interval (times- 5.13, 4.05, 5.20, 3.09, 6.22, 3.12)
    Wed - 6m easy (9.39 pace)
    Thur - 3m easy (9.25 pace), followed by core circuit.
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 6m run (9.07 pace)
    Sun - 14m LSR (9.32 pace)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

dos29 wrote: »
    Well done! caca milis very much deserved! :D

Weekly Update
    Finished my hardest LSR today, didn't think I'd get to the end at all for a bit.
    Woke lateish (8.30) so had to start in 30deg and climbing. Going very strong for the first half until combo of hot spot on ball of foot and nipple pain forced a pit stop :o.
    Fresh socks, new dry top, some tape and I felt like a new man, but felt weak as a kitten once I got going again! Don't think stopping suited me, but heat was probably the biggest factor.
    Very glad to see the end of that one.

Mon - 3m recovery (9.01 pace, with a gang)
    Tue - 6 x 850m interval (times- 5.13, 4.05, 5.20, 3.09, 6.22, 3.12)
    Wed - 6m easy (9.39 pace)
    Thur - 3m easy (9.25 pace), followed by core circuit.
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - 6m run (9.07 pace)
    Sun - 14m LSR (9.32 pace)

Cheers, dos29.

Well done on finishing the LSR. Sounds like a tough one but the main thing is finishing it (great pace too). If anything I reckon a tough LSR like that, where things aren't going well, is great prep for the race itself. Builds up your mental strength and gives you a reference point on race day if you hit a rough patch.

I'll throw up my own report later or tomorrow. Off to croker soon for the double header to finish off the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I'm sore lol but got it done 10mile LSR finished my longest run ever and a hard one I will admit, I had my hubby for company and we picked a flattish route we kept an average pace 10.43 I slowed him down nicely :D I am hoping the next time it will be easier :eek:

Well done on all the LSR this morning :)

Right off I go to walk this off feels like DOMS already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi folks

It's that time of the week again :-)

Monday- 5 mile PMP- 10.16 per mile.

Tue- 7 mile PMP- 9.57 per mile. Delighted with this one, really enjoyed it and felt like I could have kept going another couple of miles at that pace.

Didn't get doing anything Wed, Thursday and Friday as I had visitors staying with me and between cooking and driving them around, my evenings were taken up. I set my alarm to get up early Thur morning but instead rolled over for a 2nd sleep, was raging with myself. No more excuses for missing sessions for the next 2.5 months. Anyways....

Sat- LSR- 14 mile. I think around the 13 minute pace. My strava was acting up and it didn't correlate properly :-( It was the first day I didn't bring the garmin watch as I had been raving to all who would listen about how good strava is.
    Found the run grand until when my phone battery died around the 12 miles and I found the last 2 mile extremely tough. My legs were very tired and my head didn't have the distraction of music/podcasts so there was a lot of self pity and doubt going on. Was seriously questioning my sanity as to why the hell am I putting myself through this :-)
    I had to dig deep and grind out the last 2 miles. Really happy I did as it was the toughest part of the training so far and I think it will stand to me that I didn't give up when I so badly wanted to. My stubborn trait is coming in handy ;-)

Sunday- just back from a 4 mile recovery run- 11.19 per mile. Got soaked from heavy showers but it was a good run and the legs feel great. I got a good laugh from a moment along the run when a neighbour stopped to offer me a lift out of the rain and I said I was grand and I'd keep going, his parting conclusion was that I'm 'stone mad' :-). Maybe he's right :-)

Think I'll have to give these gels a go, I'm finding the legs are heavier after 10 miles and I could do with an extra boost.

Everyone is doing great running, love reading the updates. Fair play to ye all!

Until next week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Well done!! Don't rule out doing the marathon at the pace you want. Remember as the training ramps up so do the benefits we will get from it. Also we are now training to run on tired legs and even if we don't notice it we are feeling the accumulation of miles and sessions. We will start the marathon fresh and well after a taper please God! Maybe slow your pace runs to where they should be so that muscles are fresher come LSR day?

I can share your pain though. I did a little over 16 miles today, my longest run ever, and the same thought of having to run 10 more miles on the big day seemed fanciful! I'm putting my trust in the plan to get me there :)

Thanks for this Skyblue. Fair play doing 16 miles, are you going to do another 16 next week?
    You're right about slowing down the mid week runs and hopefully that will help with the LSRs. The slow running just seems to drain me, its like I'm using completely different muscles and I think doubling over the same route to make up 15 miles doesn't help either!!
    Legs feel ok today so will do a half hour slow cycle at home (don't want to desert the family again!!) and some foam rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Baby75 wrote: »
    I got out of Lidl in Carlow they had a few left in the sale section, it has a chest strap and I wore it today it is very comfortable and I never even felt or noticed it :) I have connected it to Endomondo for now as I have the premium account with them I was upgraded when I got a new phone , you can connect it strava if you pay the registration.

Well done to all getting out on the long runs, I guess it really ramps up now!

Thanks, I might get one myself. Hope your 10 miler went well today!

Week 5. Stiff legs and hip at the start of the recovery run but they loosened up and all is fine again!

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | 4.28 Miles Easy| 10:31
    Wed | Sick|
    Thu | Sick|
    Fri | Rest |
    Sat | 15 Miles | 11:15
    Sun | 3.11 Miles Easy| 10:31

Thanks for this Skyblue. Fair play doing 16 miles, are you going to do another 16 next week?
    You're right about slowing down the mid week runs and hopefully that will help with the LSRs. The slow running just seems to drain me, its like I'm using completely different muscles and I think doubling over the same route to make up 15 miles doesn't help either!!
    Legs feel ok today so will do a half hour slow cycle at home (don't want to desert the family again!!) and some foam rolling

Yeah I think I'll do the same next weekend...if the legs hold up!

Not great on the physiology and maybe we do use different muscles but they are the muscles we will badly need in the later stages of the marathon when all remnants of pace have been replaced by a slow fight towards the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

17.2 miles done this morning for a weekly total of 44 miles, both my highest ever!
    Quite knackered, will need to get legs massaged again this week as my left knee was a bit twingy at times and the massage sorted that out last time for about two months.
    Previous longest was 15 miles which i found tougher as i didnt bring any gels and it was quite sunny, today i brought two gels and some jelly babies and had a little left in the tank at the end..a little not a lot! 26.2 miles still seems like a mountain to climb but one week at a time i guess! Am going to take at least one day off to recover from this, am terrified of getting injured again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Howdy guys, just back from hols in Switzerland, 7 days hiking around here:

h43ZF2

And then 7 days with friends in Lucerne, which is a lovely city and managed to make the majority of my miles.

Congrats to all on the fingal and getting all those miles in.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I might get one myself. Hope your 10 miler went well today!

I wore it today during my run and it was comfy I barely noticed it :) My run went well it was hard work and legs were very sore when I finished but it's eased off now delighted to have it done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 7 of 20 for me done:
    Mon: 3.66m rec run after Fingal @ 9.41 pace
    Tues am: spinning class
    Tues evening: 2m warm up followed by 8.75m @ 8.57 and then 1m warm down
    Weds: rest
    Thurs: some sprint work. Approx 12-15 sprints half the length of a pitch
    Fri: 14m @ 8.30 - longest ever run. Calf was at me from about half way but kept at it
    Sat- eating and boozing!!!
    Sun- 2m rec @ 9.25

As alway any comments/ criticisms/ suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

Another "off" week from me but planned it this way, so it's okay I guess. After Fingal 10k + getting home LSR which added up to aroudn 18kms,

Mon - Rest
    Tuesday - Cross training (Cycle 85k)
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Cross (Cycle 180k)
    Saturday - Derry City Parkrun 5k (bit of tourism while on holidays of sorts)
    Sunday - 7.5 k easy run (still recovering from the bike ride)

Next week might not work to the HHN1 plan either, but I am hoping to do HHN1 Week 8 (R, 5, 10, 5, R, R, Half) the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Still haven't headed out for my LSR, torrential rain at the minute, I don't mind running in a shower but don't want it like that for the whole run :( Can't push it to tomorrow either because it's going in to the next week. Think I'll have to bite the bullet and go for it.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Still haven't headed out for my LSR, torrential rain at the minute, I don't mind running in a shower but don't want it like that for the whole run :( Can't push it to tomorrow either because it's going in to the next week. Think I'll have to bite the bullet and go for it.

I think we had that rain with thunder earlier, it will pass good luck on the LSR

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You should go out. I was drenched on Weds, shoes still soggy the next day. I was expecting it during all of this morning's run, but it never came...only arrived after I finished hanging out the laundry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

A whole litre!!!! :eek: That's like, 730 calories!! Would you even burn that much in a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Week 6

Well done to all of you, so much dedication to the cause, and great performances to match! Even those of you coming off race weeks are getting the miles in, and isn't it wonderful to have that feeling of achievement, of doing something new? Or as was the case for quite a few, running further than ever before? How many of you would have visualised feeling so good at the end of a 15 mile run two months ago?

It's only natural that you're going to feel tired at the end of those LSRs, in particular those of you following HH, where the long run went into double figures for the first time. Don't be afraid of this; as the mileage builds up gradually, your body should slowly adapt to it, and it shouldn't feel so daunting :)

Thanks to all of you for your updates. Keep them coming :D

Also a big shout out to our guest contributors :D

Next week's schedules are as follows.

HHN1: 3M easy + 5M easy + 3M easy + 7M LSR + cross
    Boards: 5M easy + (1M w/u, 5M pace, 1M c/d) + 3M rec + 16M LSR + rest/cross/3M rec

HHN1 takes a step back in terms of mileage, whereas Boards has a slight increase. Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

A decent week for me after recovering better than I had expected from the Fingal 10k.

Midweek session as per meno plan was 10 miles with 6 @ MP (about 4:40 for me). Got this done and enjoyed it a lot, though I had a strong tail wind for a good chunk of my MP section, so that made it easier. I did the 6 miles/10k at a 4:34 min/km average, but again, the tailwind definitely helped me along a lot here.

Then a 26k (~16 miles) long run this morning. Felt OK during this, though my quads tired a lot towards the end and I was ravenous from around 20k on.

Added in easy runs on 4 of the other 5 days to bring the weekly total to 67k, a new high for me.

I tried to get some porridge into me this morning, but since I'm not really a big fan I ended up not finishing it! Would two or three weetabix be as good as some porridge, or is porridge that magical that it's worth stomaching?

Well done to all this week, it's cool to see so many others putting in a lot of work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

I was a bit apprehensive starting the plan doing 5 runs a week but so far I have to say i'm loving it.

Monday - 1 mile warm up, 6 by 1K with 400 metre jogging recovery, 2 laps warm down. Did this at the track with the club and had a buddy of the same pace pushing me on. Love speed sessions

Tuesday - 6.4 miles at 8 min pace

Wednesday - 6 miles at 7:35 pace. Seriously struggled with stomach cramps and had to take an impromptu bathroom break. Hot as hell too but kept going and got it done

Thursday is trails night with the club. Did 6.7 miles at 9:23 per mile. Not going to lie got a little lost along the way!

Friday - rest

Saturday - Did the wild air run in Cork. Probably more excited than a grown man should be. Didn't realise you could get carpet burn from inflatable obstacles but now I do!

Sunday - spent the morning finalising an essay I had due to an online masters i'm doing outside of work so was about 1 before I got to go for my run. Wasn't in the form the first 3 miles but got in to it after that and was delighted how good I felt as the run went on. Did 14 Miles at 8:40 pace. Furthest i've ever ran. Ecstatic!

Great to see everyone doing so well and enjoy reading your reports. Happy running everyone!

Advertisement