Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi statina,

Welcome aboard! Those times aren't too bad at all...no shame missing the 1 hr for the GIR. I'd actually have said that was optimistic for a 28 min 5k, especially as it's one of the harder 10k races out there. Plenty more chances to go (considerably?) under the hour. I highly recommend the Fingal 10k in this regard; I got my PB there last year, the previous one stood for over 3 years.

Training seems to be fairly well coordinated already. Only thing I'd say about HHN2, if I'm reading it properly, is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of interval training? But if you think that's what will suit you best for this year, then I'd say go for it.

Wubble Wubble I was just reading back on this and I have a quick question if you don't mind. With regard to interval training, is that the same as when I run a session at pmp? During the pmp session, I give it 80% effort and then increase it to 100% from eg lamppost to lamppost every so often within the session. Is this ok or have I got it completely wrong? Appreciate any advice, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

quickbeam wrote: »
    A whole litre!!!! :eek: That's like, 730 calories!! Would you even burn that much in a run?

Haha. I'd only drink that after a lsr. Garmin had my run yesterday at 2200 cals, strava 2500. After a pace run I might drink the small 250ml carton. I never use anything for easy or recovery runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

So this week I decided to try some new socks out, 1000 mile blister prevention socks which I dont really like, find the double layer to be a bit slippy when turning etc. Got a pair of the HILLY socks (thin ones) and found them absolutely brilliant on my LSR. Also Popped into penneys during the week for some new running gear, 4.50 for a t shirt and 6 euro for shorts ya cant go wrong!

Tuesday: 3/3.1 miles @ 08:24 pace, Usual 3 mile route, played golf and was in town (and had a HUGE burrito :o ) earlier that day so was a bit tired but still got out.

Wednesday 3/3.2 miles @ 07:31 pace, Another game of golf but didnt feel too bad, still the usual 3 mile route! I love having strava to log my training but recently got a garmin off the brother which is dead handy to just glance at the wrist to see the pace without having to go into the phone.

Friday 5/5.4 miles @ 07:30 min/mi pace. Had to pop over to the run hub for a few bits, was an early morning run which is weird for myself. Ended up being early so got myself a coffee and some fruit and sat in the (cold) sun. Ran through a park I havent ran in before, its the little things.

Sunday 10/10.1 miles @ 08:06 min/mi pace. So finally got out when the rain stopped, set off about 8:30 and ran from Finglas to Cabra, into Phibsoboro, up through Glasnevin and into Finglas east to the home stretch :) Knee felt a bit sore from the start, it wore off as I got into Cabra. Everything felt good until the last mile, legs were aching but I knew I could finish it off. Its been my longest run yet and it felt great, really feel like my training has worked even tho its only week 5!

Tried a gel 5miles in, not because I needed it but because I want to try get a brand that I know I like as the mileage starts to increase over the next couple weeks. SIS GO Cola flavour, stomach wasnt bothered at all although the taste wasnt the best at all.

LSR pace still needs to be slower, but that pace felt great and I kept finding myself speeding up and not noticing it until the lap was over on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just checking out Strava to check how many miles I got in this week and I think I need to go back to school my maths need more work :o I calculated incorrectly and ran 25miles instead of 21miles as the HHN1 had planned for this week oops

I am amazed how quickly my body recovered after the LSR yesterday, my legs were very sore and I could not even bend down or walk up stairs with out a little yelp :D ( much to my husbands amusement ) we had to go with the kids to an open day, the slow walking around seemed to really help and the evening I felt much better. I am going to enjoy my rest day! nothing more exciting than walking today with kids again. :)

Damo that is great that you got out and enjoyed the run as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

statina wrote: »
    Hi statina,

Welcome aboard! Those times aren't too bad at all...no shame missing the 1 hr for the GIR. I'd actually have said that was optimistic for a 28 min 5k, especially as it's one of the harder 10k races out there. Plenty more chances to go (considerably?) under the hour. I highly recommend the Fingal 10k in this regard; I got my PB there last year, the previous one stood for over 3 years.

Training seems to be fairly well coordinated already. Only thing I'd say about HHN2, if I'm reading it properly, is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of interval training? But if you think that's what will suit you best for this year, then I'd say go for it.

Wubble Wubble I was just reading back on this and I have a quick question if you don't mind. With regard to interval training, is that the same as when I run a session at pmp? During the pmp session, I give it 80% effort and then increase it to 100% from eg lamppost to lamppost every so often within the session. Is this ok or have I got it completely wrong? Appreciate any advice, thanks

Thanks, maybe I wasn't that clear about it earlier? Yes sessions at PMP cover it :) say if you have 100m between lampposts, strides at 80-85% is great near the end of the session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

You should go out. I was drenched on Weds, shoes still soggy the next day. I was expecting it during all of this morning's run, but it never came...only arrived after I finished hanging out the laundry.

I love running in the lashing rain, I actually seek it out and I will delay a planned run until I am guaranteed a downpour if possible! The only bad thing about running in the rain is that your runners tend to smell really bad after a while, I have a very nice pair of Asics Cumulus that are now banished to the shed for the remainder of their days as they now smell evil :eek:

Top tip for Novices is to maybe invest in a slightly cheaper pair of runners (correct pronation of course) for the shorter runs to prevent your 'good' runners getting too worn out, as it is a clever plan to keep your good runners for the LSR's for when your auld legs need them most.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Hi all

Sounds like great progress by everyone.

I'm feeling very sorry for myself here reading but all my own fault.
    Was due to due 5m on Sat and LSR of 16m on Sunday but went out on Friday night and did the Dog on it so really sick on Sat and still weak and dehydrated on Sun so knew I'd be mad to try an LSR first thing in the morning. Struggled through 3.5m last night just so I wouldn't have gone 3 days with no running at all. so now I'm 17 miles down for the week on my plan ( only 5.5 on HH1 though which doesn't sound as bad and I'm kinda using it as my base plan)!! Can't make it up tonight either as have no babysitter.

So anyway lesson learned. No more big nights out for me between now and November. I'm a bit ahead of plan anyway and have done a few 13 miles and one 15 miler in the last few weeks so hopefully its not a disaster. Disappointed in myself but its still early enough to recover from I think.

New week today and hopefully get 4/5 m in at lunch in the rain, should blow off the last of the cobwebs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Week 7 in the books.

Monday - Rest Day
    Tuesday 10.8km @ PMP 5.30 per km (Groin & quad felt quite tight before and through the run)
    Wednesday - Rest day
    Thursday - 2KM swim & sports massage.
    Friday - Rest day
    Saturday 16.1km Long run 5.55 per km
    Sunday - Rest day

Yep a lot of rest days in my week 7 training. Left groin and quad felt very tight after the fingal 10k and really worried about an injury setback so I took the foot off the gas from a training perspective to provide for some recovery.

Haven't seen any mention in this thread this far re massages, but I went for one on Thursday and I gotta say I felt bloody fantastic after it. Definitely felt looser and in better condition after it.

Gonna play this week by ear in terms of training load to ensure I manage what is a far less noticeable niggle now, but once I get my PMP & long runs in I will be happy enough anything else done on top will be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

D3PO wrote: »
    Week 7 in the books.

Monday - Rest Day
    Tuesday 10.8km @ PMP 5.30 per km (Groin & quad felt quite tight before and through the run)
    Wednesday - Rest day
    Friday - Rest day
    Sunday - Rest day

Yep a lot of rest days in my week 7 training. Left groin and quad felt very tight after the fingal 10k and really worried about an injury setback so I took the foot off the gas from a training perspective to provide for some recovery.

Haven't seen any mention in this thread this far re massages, but I went for one on Thursday and I gotta say I felt bloody fantastic after it. Definitely felt looser and in better condition after it.

Gonna play this week by ear in terms of training load to ensure I manage what is a far less noticeable niggle now, but once I get my PMP & long runs in I will be happy enough anything else done on top will be a bonus.

Definitely continue with your efforts to treat those niggles. Did you get any advice about stretching/rolling/self massaging the quad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

statina wrote: »

I think you have it confused for both. Interval training is when you have rest between efforts. The run you describe as PMP is what people call a fartlek(speedplay). It's very similar to interval training although a little different as well because it's unstructured. An example of a fartlek would be running fast for 4 telephone poles and easy for 2-3-4 etc etc with continuous running mixing up speeds and efforts

An example of an interval workout would be 4x1 mile @5k pace w/3 minutes recovery. The workout is structured as running a certain distance at a certain pace/effort with a scheduled recovery time in between.

The workout you mentioned in your post is not a PMP run, it's a fartlek which means you are doing the PMP session wrong. Say you have a run of 3m @PMP, that means 3 miles of continuous running at the effort you can run for a marathon. The effort will never be 100% during this run. it should be 3 miles at marathon pace maintaining an even effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

denis b wrote: »
    Definitely continue with your efforts to treat those niggles. Did you get any advice about stretching/rolling/self massaging the quad?

I arrived a bit late so ended up with no time to discuss afterwards. Going to make another appointment for next week and plan to have a decent conversation about all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 5

Mon: Rest/Work
    Tue: 4.7m @ 8.39
    Weds: 4.7@ 7.47 (a little slower than HMP)
    Thurs: 3.7m @ 8.23
    Fri: 3.8m @ 8.25
    Sat: LSR 5: 14m @ 8.31 [8.50 pace for first 10 miles, with last 4m (a parkrun and home) at 7.50]
    Sun: Rest
    TOTAL: 28.9m

Another good week, all fairly solid and it was a nice feeling to say 'only a 13/14 miler this week'! The LSR was pretty comfortable, and i was able to run the last 4 miles, mostlly Parkrun, at HMP without too much pain.

Pace discipline is still screwed, and while this probably isn't the answer to my own lack of discipline, i'm starting to incorporate a little bit of faster paced runs into my standard runs (which i have stolen from some intermediate plans); i hope i am not setting myself up for a fall but as long as it remains quite comfortable, i like mixing it up this way. Off work this week, so it will be interesting to see if the routine change messes things up.

Had a few pints in the pub Saturday night with another first time DCMer; took 2 hours for the conversation to move off running. Strange times....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Weekly report:

Well that was a strange week. Like a few other posters, I definitely felt tired for a lot of the week after the Fingal 10k. Struggled through the Boards session. However, the week ended on a high with the 15 miler.

Monday – 5 mile @ easy pace - knackered, I should have probably rested in hindsight.

Tuesday – 6 Mile Session @ PMP – barely hung on to the PMP and didn’t complete the final 2 strides as the tank was empty.

Wednesday – Gym – Front Squats and pull up pyramid, bit of core work.

Thursday – 5 miles @ easy pace

Friday – well-earned rest day. Couch & bad TV.

Saturday – 4 miles easy pace. I had planned on doing the LSR on Saturday but some landlord related issues got in the way of those plans.

Sunday – 15 mile LSR. First run all week that I enjoyed. Finished relatively strong and buzzing.

T minus 13 weeks……still doesn’t feel quite real yet. Maybe when I get to the 18 or 20 mile LSRs it might hit me what I am trying to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Haven't run since my LSR on Saturday but the area at the back of my left knee is tender today.
    Any ideas what could cause it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Haven't run since my LSR on Saturday but the area at the back of my left knee is tender today.
    Any ideas what could cause it?

Could be runners knee or ITB issues, worth getting a physio to have a look at it. I couldn't run further than 10 miles before getting a physio to give me a sports massage on my legs, that was two months ago and its coming back so will be getting it done again this week.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

D3PO wrote: »
    Week 7 in the books.

Monday - Rest Day
    Wednesday - Rest day
    Friday - Rest day
    Sunday - Rest day

As the miles ramp up good to get sports massage every 4 weeks. Maybe think about building in Pilates class to strengthen core also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Where do people go for these sports massages? I know there's loads around, just wondering where yous recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Week 6

Also a big shout out to our guest contributors :D

As a former 'guest contributor' :) I think its time to get on board properly!!
    I've been following the thread more or less from the start, but wasnt sure Id make it to the start of the training program this year, so I'm a bit of a late joiner here, I had been tentatively planing a go at DCM 2017 and ran the raheny 5 in January and the Ballycotton 10 in march. The plan was for a late spring/early summer HM, and all going well dive into DCM training with a good base nice and early. Unfortuanately I injured my knee early in the Ballycotton race so was off my feet for a few weeks and no running for 2 months after that. There was a good chance that the injury might recur, so I started back very slowly. A foot niggle then made me ease off again and I only get started 4 weeks ago after a last minute sign up.
    I'm basically following the HHN1- the other plane seemed too far ahead on the long runs for me and i didn't want to push my luck. At the moment I'm running a week ahead as I'll probably be missing a LSR at the end of August due to a bike sportive. I've been doing the mid week 'sorta long' run at a bit faster than PMP, and one of the shorter runs as a tempo, the other as easy. This week I've switched the tempo for a Yasso style 5x800, and i plan to alternate that with hill repeats and a tempo run from here on out. Thats the plan anyway -I'll have no shame in reeling it back if it takes too much of a toll!!

Have you raced before?
    5 mile 39:28 Jan 17
    10 mile 1:25:49 Mar 17

Do you still need to take walk breaks in training?
    No

How much training do you currently do?
    I'm coming at it off injury, so started from scratch at the end of May and very gingerly at that. I'd been running about 3 times per week, runs of up to 12 miles before March. Only really been running consistently for a bit over a year. Before that it was 5k once or twice a week. I do a pilates class once a week and try and get out on the bike once a week too - with limited success!

What do you want to achieve?
    Would love to finish sub 4 (and I mean 3:59:xx here!) but I'd be happy with 4:10 or 4:15. In fact I'll be happy to make it to the start line in one piece, and delighted to make it to the finish relatively unscathed too!

How many days a week can you train?
    At the moment no problem with 4 runs and 1 cross. Life gets busier at the end of august, so I'll have to work at squeezing them in, but i'll be well invested at that stage, so I'll manage.

Why are you running this marathon?
    I always thought I'd get around to running a marathon, but as the years went by I thought id left it a bit late. My brother did his first DCM in 2015, and I went along to cheer him along in 2016 and I think I get the bug then. Another brother is signed up this year, so it kind of seemed rude not to!!

Last weeks progress:
    Mon 3.5m tempo at 8:25
    Tues 5.6m slightly faster than PMP at 8:50 + Pilates class
    Wed 3.5m easy at 9:05
    Thurs Rest
    Fri LSR 7m at 9:05 (step back week)
    Sat Cross 50k bike
    Sun rest

So that's me. Looking forward to seeing how everyone is getting on, and of course any feedback is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

El Caballo wrote: »
    I think you have it confused for both. Interval training is when you have rest between efforts. The run you describe as PMP is what people call a fartlek(speedplay). It's very similar to interval training although a little different as well because it's unstructured. An example of a fartlek would be running fast for 4 telephone poles and easy for 2-3-4 etc etc with continuous running mixing up speeds and efforts

An example of an interval workout would be 4x1 mile @5k pace w/3 minutes recovery. The workout is structured as running a certain distance at a certain pace/effort with a scheduled recovery time in between.

The workout you mentioned in your post is not a PMP run, it's a fartlek which means you are doing the PMP session wrong. Say you have a run of 3m @PMP, that means 3 miles of continuous running at the effort you can run for a marathon. The effort will never be 100% during this run. it should be 3 miles at marathon pace maintaining an even effort.

Thanks to you and Wubble Wubble for the advice. That makes sense. So then my pmp session should be around the late 10- 11 minute mark? This would then be similar to my 'easy' sessions?? Prob sounds silly but trying to get my head around the different sessions- thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Late update for last week - Week 12/25 for me

As I type this I've noticed I'm almost half way through my plan which is nice! 0 to 38.3km in 12 weeks.

Day: Planned/Actual

Monday: 3/3km – Felt strange running the day after Fingal 10k - tired legs but very enthusiastic. Wore my new Fingal 10k T-shirt!
    Tuesday: 5/5.2k - No problems, did a bit of a sprint near the end
    Wednesday: 8/8.1k - Nice run, went out towards Sandymount
    Thursday: 6/6k - Tired!
    Friday: Rest/Rest
    Saturday: 16/16.2k - Bit of an emergency Friday night and I ended up with <4hrs low quality sleep. Didn't make it out until 2pm and felt like the day was not going my way. Still, got it done so can't complain. Longest run I've done so far!
    Sunday: Weights/Rest - Too tired to do weights!

Overall a tough week but got the miles in. Keep up the hard work everyone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

More detail in my log but this was my week. Slightly disappointed there was no recovery run or cross training but it was a busy week on the family front so happy to have at least got the 4 key runs done from the Boards Plan. I got a great buzz from the LSR this week, same distance as last week but it felt much easier and more enjoyable. I went 2 hrs after a small breakfast instead of first thing on an empty stomach which may be the reason.

Day|Distance/km|Purpose|Time|Avg Pace|Avg HR
    Monday|7.2|Easy|49:01|6:48|127
    Wednesday|10.3|PMP|59:39|5:41|153
    Friday|7|Easy|41:06|5:52|145
    Saturday|23.3|LSR|2:31:22|6:29|151
    Total|47.8|||||

Just a thought, has everyone who isn't from Dublin booked accommodation for the night before. Any recommendations for someone who isn't very familiar with Dublin and the public transport options :o?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Half Marathon - Achill 2007 1:56:34
    Marathon Florence 2009- 4:03:10

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Yes, while taking on fluid. Also I have found going back running after a number of years break quite difficult.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3-4 days a week 3 x 10k & 1 LSR

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to finish this in under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days a week- I'm following a hal higdon training plan

I've run 9 full marathons over the last 14 years but this honestly feels like i'm training for my first one. The last one I ran was Limerick in 2010. I had cancer just under 2 years ago- had surgery & chemo. There are a number of reasons why I'm running Dublin this year-

1. I always wanted to reach 10 marathons. Dublin is where they all started and its a good place to finish!

2. I wanted to get the 10 done before I'm 40, I'm hitting 40 next year!

3. I wanted to prove to myself that after what I've been through over the last few years that I'm now back as strong as before

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Half Marathon - Achill 2007 1:56:34
    Marathon Florence 2009- 4:03:10

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Yes, while taking on fluid. Also I have found going back running after a number of years break quite difficult.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3-4 days a week 3 x 10k & 1 LSR

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to finish this in under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days a week- I'm following a hal higdon training plan

I've run 9 full marathons over the last 14 years but this honestly feels like i'm training for my first one. The last one I ran was Limerick in 2010. I had cancer just under 2 years ago- had surgery & chemo. There are a number of reasons why I'm running Dublin this year-

1. I always wanted to reach 10 marathons. Dublin is where they all started and its a good place to finish!

2. I wanted to get the 10 done before I'm 40, I'm hitting 40 next year!

3. I wanted to prove to myself that after what I've been through over the last few years that I'm now back as strong as before

Welcome mark. What a journey. And wow 9 marathons :eek: I'm sure you will be a big asset to the group :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Our FD10 goodies:

20431644_10155574891693185_4000182094448256925_n.jpg?oh=1721e74baa88606b0aa78836eb77f35d&oe=5A2DCC45

• Registered Users Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

quickbeam wrote: »
    Our FD10 goodies:

20431644_10155574891693185_4000182094448256925_n.jpg?oh=1721e74baa88606b0aa78836eb77f35d&oe=5A2DCC45

My wife will be delighted to see me in that colour, oh I feel my man score dropping :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

drkpower wrote: »
    Week 5

Mon: Rest/Work
    Tue: 4.7m @ 8.39
    Weds: 4.7@ 7.47 (a little slower than HMP)
    Thurs: 3.7m @ 8.23
    Fri: 3.8m @ 8.25
    Sat: LSR 5: 14m @ 8.31 [8.50 pace for first 10 miles, with last 4m (a parkrun and home) at 7.50]
    Sun: Rest
    TOTAL: 28.9m

Another good week, all fairly solid and it was a nice feeling to say 'only a 13/14 miler this week'! The LSR was pretty comfortable, and i was able to run the last 4 miles, mostlly Parkrun, at HMP without too much pain.

Pace discipline is still screwed, and while this probably isn't the answer to my own lack of discipline, i'm starting to incorporate a little bit of faster paced runs into my standard runs (which i have stolen from some intermediate plans); i hope i am not setting myself up for a fall but as long as it remains quite comfortable, i like mixing it up this way. Off work this week, so it will be interesting to see if the routine change messes things up.

Had a few pints in the pub Saturday night with another first time DCMer; took 2 hours for the conversation to move off running. Strange times....

Strange times indeed :pac: well done, but try keep the paces under control, easier said than done I know!

Weekly report:

Well that was a strange week. Like a few other posters, I definitely felt tired for a lot of the week after the Fingal 10k. Struggled through the Boards session. However, the week ended on a high with the 15 miler.

Monday – 5 mile @ easy pace - knackered, I should have probably rested in hindsight.

Tuesday – 6 Mile Session @ PMP – barely hung on to the PMP and didn’t complete the final 2 strides as the tank was empty.

Wednesday – Gym – Front Squats and pull up pyramid, bit of core work.

Thursday – 5 miles @ easy pace

Friday – well-earned rest day. Couch & bad TV.

Saturday – 4 miles easy pace. I had planned on doing the LSR on Saturday but some landlord related issues got in the way of those plans.

Sunday – 15 mile LSR. First run all week that I enjoyed. Finished relatively strong and buzzing.

T minus 13 weeks……still doesn’t feel quite real yet. Maybe when I get to the 18 or 20 mile LSRs it might hit me what I am trying to do!

That's a tough first half of the week after racing the 10k. Maybe the PMP could have waited till Wednesday? (or maybe this wasn't possible due to time constraints) Excellent LSR however, keep up the good work!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Supercell wrote: »
    My wife will be delighted to see me in that colour, oh I feel my man score dropping :D

I'm a girl, and it wouldn't be my choice of colour either. But, the design is pretty cool, and it's only going to be worn in other runs, not as a fashion statement, so I can live with that.

• Advertisement

Candamir wrote: »
    As a former 'guest contributor' :) I think its time to get on board properly!!
    I've been following the thread more or less from the start, but wasnt sure Id make it to the start of the training program this year, so I'm a bit of a late joiner here, I had been tentatively planing a go at DCM 2017 and ran the raheny 5 in January and the Ballycotton 10 in march. The plan was for a late spring/early summer HM, and all going well dive into DCM training with a good base nice and early. Unfortuanately I injured my knee early in the Ballycotton race so was off my feet for a few weeks and no running for 2 months after that. There was a good chance that the injury might recur, so I started back very slowly. A foot niggle then made me ease off again and I only get started 4 weeks ago after a last minute sign up.
    I'm basically following the HHN1- the other plane seemed too far ahead on the long runs for me and i didn't want to push my luck. At the moment I'm running a week ahead as I'll probably be missing a LSR at the end of August due to a bike sportive. I've been doing the mid week 'sorta long' run at a bit faster than PMP, and one of the shorter runs as a tempo, the other as easy. This week I've switched the tempo for a Yasso style 5x800, and i plan to alternate that with hill repeats and a tempo run from here on out. Thats the plan anyway -I'll have no shame in reeling it back if it takes too much of a toll!!

Have you raced before?
    5 mile 39:28 Jan 17
    10 mile 1:25:49 Mar 17

Do you still need to take walk breaks in training?
    No

How much training do you currently do?
    I'm coming at it off injury, so started from scratch at the end of May and very gingerly at that. I'd been running about 3 times per week, runs of up to 12 miles before March. Only really been running consistently for a bit over a year. Before that it was 5k once or twice a week. I do a pilates class once a week and try and get out on the bike once a week too - with limited success!

What do you want to achieve?
    Would love to finish sub 4 (and I mean 3:59:xx here!) but I'd be happy with 4:10 or 4:15. In fact I'll be happy to make it to the start line in one piece, and delighted to make it to the finish relatively unscathed too!

How many days a week can you train?
    At the moment no problem with 4 runs and 1 cross. Life gets busier at the end of august, so I'll have to work at squeezing them in, but i'll be well invested at that stage, so I'll manage.

I always thought I'd get around to running a marathon, but as the years went by I thought id left it a bit late. My brother did his first DCM in 2015, and I went along to cheer him along in 2016 and I think I get the bug then. Another brother is signed up this year, so it kind of seemed rude not to!!

Last weeks progress:
    Mon 3.5m tempo at 8:25
    Tues 5.6m slightly faster than PMP at 8:50 + Pilates class
    Wed 3.5m easy at 9:05
    Thurs Rest
    Fri LSR 7m at 9:05 (step back week)
    Sat Cross 50k bike
    Sun rest

So that's me. Looking forward to seeing how everyone is getting on, and of course any feedback is welcome!

Belated welcome candamir! Not easy coming in at this stage, but you've some good race results under your belt from earlier this year. HHN1 looks like the better option for you, and those targets are probably well within your compass. Thanks for signing up, and best of luck!

Advertisement