Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

mark_jmc wrote: »
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Half Marathon - Achill 2007 1:56:34
    Marathon Florence 2009- 4:03:10

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    Yes, while taking on fluid. Also I have found going back running after a number of years break quite difficult.

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    3-4 days a week 3 x 10k & 1 LSR

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    I want to finish this in under 5 hours

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    4 days a week- I'm following a hal higdon training plan

Why are you running this marathon?
    I've run 9 full marathons over the last 14 years but this honestly feels like i'm training for my first one. The last one I ran was Limerick in 2010. I had cancer just under 2 years ago- had surgery & chemo. There are a number of reasons why I'm running Dublin this year-

1. I always wanted to reach 10 marathons. Dublin is where they all started and its a good place to finish!

2. I wanted to get the 10 done before I'm 40, I'm hitting 40 next year!

3. I wanted to prove to myself that after what I've been through over the last few years that I'm now back as strong as before

Welcome mark_jmc, and the very best of luck! Dublin is a good place to run a marathon any time :) and it will be even better to get to double figures. Some level of commitment to get to this stage, and your knowledge of how to prepare for the marathon should only help as we progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

ariana` wrote: »
    Just a thought, has everyone who isn't from Dublin booked accommodation for the night before. Any recommendations for someone who isn't very familiar with Dublin and the public transport options :o?

I was looking at stuff anywhere near start/finish line and it's mental prices, even air bnb. Booked the Aspect hotel in Parkwest (nearish the Red Cow). Great access to public transport by the looks of it, and a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I'm starting to enjoy Tuesdays , its my interval day and on paper it looks like the toughest session of the week. This is my 4th week in a row completing the session, I am driven on by knowing how bad I felt jogging home the very first week after failing to complete my planned session (I just mentally gave up).
    Every session is a mental battle , is it just me? Does it get easier running on your own doing sessions? I'm talking to myself during the whole session my mind is saying don't bother with the 7 reps just do 5 and actually slow down a bit aswell ! But something just clicked with me tonight that maybe that's the whole plan - build the mental strength by doing tough session so you won't give up on race day.

I'm pretty much solidly following the 3 key weekly sessions from the 3:15 runners world plan and adding easy runs where possible. I'm getting more of an idea that sub 3.30 will be the goal on the day and I like having this buffer following a faster plan.
    Tonight's session was tough 7*800m repeats with 1 min rest, I kept them at about 3.05 average fastest been 2.59 . The rest just went by so quickly. Pre-loading the workout onto garmin watch is massive it keeps you so honest , my tip would be set the rest as time instead of distance as you can't just stop and lengthen it.

So yeah I'm actually starting to enjoy this , is anyone else? Its the first time in my life i've followed any kind of plan and already only 5 weeks or so in I am feeling so much stronger. I'd imagine the possibility of running big PB's in 5k and 10k is huge as you near the marathon or maybe just after the marathon because you'll be so fit and 5k will seem like nothing but an all out sprint. I'm already noticing the parkruns feeling like they are over so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

So yeah I'm actually starting to enjoy this , is anyone else? Its the first time in my life i've followed any kind of plan and already only 5 weeks or so in I am feeling so much stronger. I'd imagine the possibility of running big PB's in 5k and 10k is huge as you near the marathon or maybe just after the marathon because you'll be so fit and 5k will seem like nothing but an all out sprint. I'm already noticing the parkruns feeling like they are over so soon.

My own DCM novice training two years ago was the first time I did any structured training, and over that summer my 5 mile pace became my 10k pace, which became my 10 mile pace and ended up being pretty close to my HM pace (if I hadn't gone out so fast...). Adding endurance to your already impressive speed should result in some great times, just keep things consistent and sensible and you'll get great improvements across many distances.

Jingle Bells is the traditional post-DCM blow-out, many a PB has been set there off the back of marathon training :)
    http://www.donoreharriers.com/jingle-bells-5k/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just a thought, has everyone who isn't from Dublin booked accommodation for the night before. Any recommendations for someone who isn't very familiar with Dublin and the public transport options :o?

Have a look on booking.com I love it because it is free to cancel do check though and you do not always need a deposit but going a little further out and getting a bus, Luas or dart into the city centre might work well for you!

PS I am enjoying reading your log :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

dos29 wrote: »
    I was looking at stuff anywhere near start/finish line and it's mental prices, even air bnb. Booked the Aspect hotel in Parkwest (nearish the Red Cow). Great access to public transport by the looks of it, and a good price.

Thanks, i'll look it up.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Have a look on booking.com I love it because it is free to cancel do check though and you do not always need a deposit but going a little further out and getting a bus, Luas or dart into the city centre might work well for you!

Thanks. I do have family in Dub but one house has 5 kids and the other has 4 kids (including 2 newborns) so i don't think either of those will be conducive to a good night's sleep :eek:
    PS I am enjoying reading your log :)
    Aw thanks. It keeps me honest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Arina, try a little further out. Like Navan Road Travelodge. Quick train journey into Pearse station or else somewhere on the Green Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks, i'll look it up.

Thanks. I do have family in Dub but one house has 5 kids and the other has 4 kids (including 2 newborns) so i don't think either of those will be conducive to a good night's sleep :eek:

Thanks

Aw thanks. It keeps me honest :pac:

oh, stay well clear if they do not sleep! my kids sleep but before Lilliput adventure race, we camped overnight my sister came along for support and my niece a baby was very unsettled so very little sleep: eek: so yes deffo avoid the newborns as cute as they are ! it doesn't help that you are in different surroundings and that can disturb your sleep as well

If you do book with booking.com keep an eye on it, sometimes the price will drop again and you can cancel and rebook I saved over a 100 euro before my sister's wedding in Dublin for the Clayton Hotel in Ballsbridge :)

Yes, like you i'm enjoying it and feel i've benefited so much already. I've attempted to follow plans before but never for a big race, if it wasn't going well i'd just casually change the goal race to a different one and/or drop parts of the plan that didn't suit my family life rather than really making 110% effort to just get it done :o i'd eventually end up doing a race without really having trained specifically for it.

I'm excited to see what will happen after DM. I've heard people say they've lost speed in marathon training so i'm expecting that initially but hoping that if i follow a 6-8 week plan for 5/10k that the speed will come back and in combination with the endurance the PBs will fall.

You seem to have a lot more sessions and speed work in your plan so i expect you will be flying come next Nov/Dec. I'd say for me i will be aiming for a Spring '18 10km and maybe a Summer '18 5km. For now i'm trying to keep the main thing the main thing (to quote AMK in his absence :p) and just hope the training stays going as well as it is and i don't end up injured or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

There is also the IBIS, Louis Fitzgerald Hotel, Sheldon Park Hotel, Red Cow Hotels that are all on or near the Luas red line to name a few more.

The first Luas that leaves Tallaght/Saggart around 7am gets runners into town with looooads of time to spare with a brisk 10-15 minute walk to the start line as a warm up. The walk from Abbey Street up to the start line also goes past the likes of McDonalds if people need to use the loo (or have a Big Mac and Chips :eek:) on the way.

Parking at the Luas Red Cow Stop is good, so is the car park at the Kingswood Shopping centre (small shopping centre) besides the Kingswood Lodge Pub (Clock Tower Pub) and this is FOC and a 5 minute walk to the Kingswood Luas stop. I wouldn't recommend the Luas car park in Citywest/Cheeverstown as I have seen too many cars vandalised there, just my opinion.

Good parking at Heuston station too (€8.50-€9.50 per day) and then step on the Luas to Abbey Street or a taxi could be an option too.

Just follow all the people wearing Asics runners and you will eventually end up at the start line of the DCM!

Top tip, make sure that you use the bathroom 17 times before you get to the DCM start line, as the queues can be really long for the Portaloos :D

Options galore, and that's just the South Side of Dublin.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi, might have been mentioned before in thread but are entries closed for this year's marathon? I've checked the site and that's what it said...thought it was open until 1st october.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi, might have been mentioned before in thread but are entries closed for this year's marathon? I've checked the site and that's what it said...thought it was open until 1st october.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

rizzee wrote: »

Thanks

Yes, it sold out a couple of weeks ago.

It used to always be the 1st of October in the past but when they moved the race from Monday to Sunday last year, demand went through the roof so the safe limit for the course was reached earlier and even earlier again this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good to hear enjoyment is in the air. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Last run tonight before the hols. 16m@8.23 for 2h14.13
    Splits were: 8.31, 8.14, 8.12, 8.00, 8.02, 8.18, 8.03, 8.00, 8.12, 8.12, 8.37 (this was largely uphill in the Phoenix park and the pain started to kick in here), 8.18, 8.40, 9.04, 9.12, 8.20
    Stopped twice for about 30 secs to stretch. Legs were very sore the last couple of miles but in different parts to last fridays long run (calfs last week, groins this). Happy to have it done and under the belt. Roll on the hols!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Decided to not go out tonight, knee felt sore yesterday so decided ill give it a break until tomorrow. 5m tomorrow and then 7m LSR on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

What is the recommended amount for water intake on longer runs.? I know it varies on individuals and conditions but is there a general recommendation.? I took a 750ml bottle (with an electrolyte tab in it) with me on a 16m last night. Too much / too little.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    What is the recommended amount for water intake on longer runs.? I know it varies on individuals and conditions but is there a general recommendation.? I took a 750ml bottle (with an electrolyte tab in it) with me on a 16m last night. Too much / too little.?

I think a good rule of thumb is 250ml an hour. Not sure where I read that but it has stuck with me.:)

Last run tonight before the hols. 16m@8.23 for 2h14.13
    Splits were: 8.31, 8.14, 8.12, 8.00, 8.02, 8.18, 8.03, 8.00, 8.12, 8.12, 8.37 (this was largely uphill in the Phoenix park and the pain started to kick in here), 8.18, 8.40, 9.04, 9.12, 8.20
    Stopped twice for about 30 secs to stretch. Legs were very sore the last couple of miles but in different parts to last fridays long run (calfs last week, groins this). Happy to have it done and under the belt. Roll on the hols!!!

Brilliant well done. Enjoy the hols :cool:

I have a belt that carries 2 x 200ml bottles.So far i've been drinking 1 bottle during and the other bottle straight after, both plain water. Longest LSR so far took 2.5hrs (14.5 miles) . I just take very small sips at a time, any more and i feel it's sloshing about in my tummy. I suppose everyone is different.

I missed my yoga class last week for family stuff and it's cancelled this week so i went to a Pilates class last night instead. OMG so sore today but it has reminded me that i haven't been doing much ok any core work lately, need to make more time for it :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think a good rule of thumb is 250ml an hour. Not sure where I read that but it has stuck with me.:)

Is it a bad thing that I don't ever drink water during a training run? Drink lots after, and plenty before, but never feel thirsty during. My max distance so far is 14.5m so maybe that will change, but just wondering whether I should be concerned by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    Is it a bad thing that I don't ever drink water during a training run? Drink lots after, and plenty before, but never feel thirsty during. My max distance so far is 14.5m so maybe that will change, but just wondering whether I should be concerned by that.

What I really should have said is that we need/ use approx 250ml per hour during exercise. Remember though that we always have fluid in our systems. When you begin to need topping up depends on how hard the workout is, duration, temperatures etc etc. I have not yet carried water on a run on this plan. I always top up after a run. It works for me but sure aren't we all different. :)

Lazare wrote: »

I drink very little, as i say 200ml max in sips for 14.5 miles (2.5hrs) and to be honest i've only drank on the last 2 runs and it's more to get in the habit/practice it as on D-day i will need to take on some fluids i'm sure. Whatever works for you, i wouldn't be concerned, there are other factors, people sweat different amounts and you may have drank more in advance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

In very general terms I would say that 750ml was more than enough. More importantly, what did you think, allowing for pre-hydration, weather, effort etc.?

That will be far more valuable for you going forward. Best of luck with the continuing training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I have a belt that carries 2 x 200ml bottles.So far i've been drinking 1 bottle during and the other bottle straight after, both plain water..

Talk to me.

Where did you get the belt, whats it like running with the bottles etc etc. Ive been doing LSRs with no hydration thus far but my plan is up to 12 miles now so its getting to the point I'm going to have to bring liquids.

D3PO wrote: »
    Talk to me.

Where did you get the belt, whats it like running with the bottles etc etc. Ive been doing LSRs with no hydration thus far but my plan is up to 12 miles now so its getting to the point I'm going to have to bring liquids.

I got it on Amazon. Main reason i got it is my husband wanted me to start carrying my phone on long runs. It has a pocket for phone/gels/tissue. And then the 2 little bottles. I only use it for the LSR and i always find the first 5 mins it feels strange but then i forget it's even there.

It's a bit like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I think that the general consensus is to drink little and often on the day itself and if you feel thirsty then you are already starting to dehydrate.

The water stations are well dispersed in the course itself and try to keep a track of where these are so that you are prepared for them. Looking back on last year I think this is one area of the marathon that I didn't quite get right.

In terms of hydration on LSRs I always carried a couple of Euro and plotted the route with a water stop around half way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you've a dedicated water bottle don't forget to give a good scrub down. They can get a bit manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If you've a dedicated water bottle don't forget to give a good scrub down. They can get a bit manky.

So true put my bike bidons in the babies bottle sterilizer ever two weeks :p

• Advertisement

I think that the general consensus is to drink little and often on the day itself and if you feel thirsty then you are already starting to dehydrate.

The water stations are well dispersed in the course itself and try to keep a track of where these are so that you are prepared for them. Looking back on last year I think this is one area of the marathon that I didn't quite get right.

In terms of hydration on LSRs I always carried a couple of Euro and plotted the route with a water stop around half way.

I'm a bit afraid of stopping as any time i do (the odd time i have to use the loo) i get a stitch afterwards :(

Advertisement