Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm a bit afraid of stopping as any time i do (the odd time i have to use the loo) i get a stitch afterwards :(

same here I don't want to stop in my LSR. Not due to a stich but due to the fact I don't intend to stop in the DCM so I don't want to get into that habit in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

On the topic of water :)
    I personally bring water if the weather is very hot or I know it will be longer than an hour, otherwise I drink when I come back and have a snack.
    I have started using a hydration pack to get used to it while I am running my LSR and have ordered some tailwind to train with and use on a race day, it has everything you need carbs, electrolytes, etc

but the general rules that I covered in my course would be

Pre - Exercise
    1, ensure you are fully hydrated
    2, aim for 5-7ml x kg body weight ( 2-3ml per lb) at least 4 hours before session or event
    55kg (121lb) athlete this would be ( 275ml to 385ml)

During exercise:
    Aim to replace 80% of fluids lost during exercise

Post exercise
    1 hour or more of intense exercise can result in dehydration, so aim to have a drink as soon as you finish

consider having water with some electrolytes included in it if needed

you can always work out how much you lose during exercise, the best way to do this is weigh yourself naked before and after an hour of exercise

For every 1kg you lose ( 2.2lbs) it means you have lost approximately 1 litre of fluid
    That should help with rehydrating after exercise

just be careful not to over hydrate before you run, too much water can result in hyponatremia. so it would also be wise to make sure you have some electrolytes if you are working hard and sweating a lot during and after exercise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I got it on Amazon. Main reason i got it is my husband wanted me to start carrying my phone on long runs. It has a pocket for phone/gels/tissue. And then the 2 little bottles. I only use it for the LSR and i always find the first 5 mins it feels strange but then i forget it's even there.

It's a bit like this one

Thanks. I'm in the market for a running belt that will hold bottles too, now that the runs are getting longer. Tried a few bricks and mortar shops last weekend and they're surprisingly difficult to come by. The one you linked looks good, but a bit pricey. Anybody got any cheaper alternatives? Something with two or four bottles like this, rather than one big bottle. If not, then I could go for this one. Just rather not spend the extra if I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭ariana`

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm in the market for a running belt that will hold bottles too, now that the runs are getting longer. Tried a few bricks and mortar shops last weekend and they're surprisingly difficult to come by. The one you linked looks good, but a bit pricey. Anybody got any cheaper alternatives? Something with two or four bottles like this, rather than one big bottle. If not, then I could go for this one. Just rather not spend the extra if I don't have to.

This is the one i got actually. It's less expensive than the one i linked earlier. Sorry about that.

The bottles are smaller than the one i posted earlier, 200ml compared to 300ml but it's enough for me, as i say so far i've still had at least 1 full bottle to knock back at the end of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Just seen a sentence in an article I'm reading on Runners World:
    A training plan should be written in pencil, not permanent marker

• Advertisement

This is the one i got actually. It's less expensive than the one i linked earlier. Sorry about that.

The bottles are smaller than the one i posted earlier, 200ml compared to 300ml but it's enough for me, as i say so far i've still had at least 1 full bottle to knock back at the end of the run.

Bought!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did the 7 mile LSR today. It was very warm and humid and I wasn't sure when I started running whether I was going to do the 5 mile easy or 7 mile LSR. I hit 4 miles over a mile away from my van, so I guess my subconscious was telling me what I was going to do.

Has anyone else noticed more runners out now? Definitely more of them around Ballina, I love this group but it's also great to feel part of something bigger. I am assuming they are all marathon training, I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did the 7 mile LSR today. It was very warm and humid and I wasn't sure when I started running whether I was going to do the 5 mile easy or 7 mile LSR. I hit 4 miles over a mile away from my van, so I guess my subconscious was telling me what I was going to do.

Has anyone else noticed more runners out now? Definitely more of them around Ballina, I love this group but it's also great to feel part of something bigger. I am assuming they are all marathon training, I could be wrong of course.

Same out here, I always find it tough to keep going on sticky evenings like this one. Well done on knocking out the 7.

Way more in Dublin too. Phoenix Park will be full of runners every Saturday and Sunday morning between now and end of October. Coincidence? ;)

Yevon wrote: »
    Training started Monday after a month's break following Clontarf Half!
    Did an 8k to get me back into the groove and an easy 6.5k last night. Was meant to get out again tonight but been having stomach pains all day so skipped it, did my core/glute exercises and stretched.

Feels good to be getting the training started in earnest. Last time out I focussed way too much on my pace during training, was going out to break 10k and Half PBs during training. Going to take a more relaxed approach this time around and see if it pays dividends.

Hope everyone's training is going well.

Welcome back, the Clontarf HM is always deceptively tough!
    This. Build it up again nice and easy, and keep us posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Same out here, I always find it tough to keep going on sticky evenings like this one. Well done on knocking out the 7.

Way more in Dublin too. Phoenix Park will be full of runners every Saturday and Sunday morning between now and end of October. Coincidence? ;)

Same here! Even worse when it's dull and sticky out, it's teasing us that it should be sunny and warm but instead it's dull and warm :pac:

Got the 5m in tonight, ran in the field beside my house instead of going in my normal route, felt great getting it in. Definitely need to start getting to the phoenix Park on my LSRs, who knows some of us might even bump into each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just a quick question .... Has anyone run along any part of the Royal Canal Way between Phibsboro and Leixlip? I'm thinking of trying it for a LSR over the next couple of weeks but have no idea what the surface is like or if it's suitable for running.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Anyone else literally eating all the food in the house after some runs....or just me! 🙊

Anyone else literally eating all the food in the house after some runs....or just me! ��

Yes!!! And still I've lost 7lbs since the plan started :) In truth I could do with losing it....and a bit more! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Anyone else literally eating all the food in the house after some runs....or just me! ��

Had to check myself a few weeks ago when I was biting into a lump of cheddar like it was an apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Lazare wrote: »
    Had to check myself a few weeks ago when I was biting into a lump of cheddar like it was an apple.

Ha I found myself with a spoon....and a jar of peanut butter.....there is still a spoon.....

🙄

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just a quick question .... Has anyone run along any part of the Royal Canal Way between Phibsboro and Leixlip? I'm thinking of trying it for a LSR over the next couple of weeks but have no idea what the surface is like or if it's suitable for running.

Between Phibsborough and the 12th Lock it's all tarmac, and the surface is excellent for the most part. From Castleknock to Clonsilla, there's a fair bit of trail in there. Not sure about the rest of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Between Phibsborough and the 12th Lock it's all tarmac, and the surface is excellent for the most part. From Castleknock to Clonsilla, there's a fair bit of trail in there. Not sure about the rest of it?

If memory serves me right, the track along near Leixlip isn't great, or existing is places

You should be able to get by though

Anyone started to have running dreams? I had one during the week that I was at the DCM. I can't really remember the specifics but it was quite stressful whatever was going on. Presume it's normal enough to start dreaming about big races?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

from phibsboro to the m50 is really nice to run on... a bit of an uphill drag and watch out for the swans who tend to spread themselves across the narrowest part of the path :eek:. also if you want an alternative, leaving the canal at Ashtown, you're very close to either the Phoenix Park (Ashtown Gate) or Tolka Valley Park in the other direction.

There's something very soothing about long runs along the canal.

If memory serves me right, the track along near Leixlip isn't great, or existing is places

You should be able to get by though

Thanks for this, and WW too. I haven't figured out how to multi quote yet!! I'll give it a try next week. I really don't enjoy the city roads for long runs :(

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    from phibsboro to the m50 is really nice to run on... a bit of an uphill drag and watch out for the swans who tend to spread themselves across the narrowest part of the path :eek:. also if you want an alternative, leaving the canal at Ashtown, you're very close to either the Phoenix Park (Ashtown Gate) or Tolka Valley Park in the other direction.

There's something very soothing about long runs along the canal.

I have used the PP for all my long runs so far. It's a great resource. Tolka Valley is nice too for a short run, a couple of nice short sharp hills too! I'm not a fan of repetitive laps for a LSR so the canal bank seemed like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Loving this thread, bringing back so many memories between dreams or should that be nightmares and eating like a horse the day after long runs.

It looks like everyone is going well as the milage ramps up on the various plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Anyone else started taking baths the night before a LSR? I did last week with Epsom salts, found legs nice and loose next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Glad to hear people making progress and enjoying the training. I have to admit though that I've found it a tough week, on hols did a lot of fairly strenuous hiking in the first week then made all the rest of my miles on hilly terrain (hard to avoid in Switzerland) then another lsr the first day back home. My legs have felt heavy this week and it's felt a little chore like. Still I'm following HH1 so only 7 miles this weekend so I'm glad of the stepback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have used the PP for all my long runs so far. It's a great resource. Tolka Valley is nice too for a short run, a couple of nice short sharp hills too! I'm not a fan of repetitive laps for a LSR so the canal bank seemed like a good idea.

The new Tolka Valley park, the one closer to Ashtown is a lovely little park. I normally run through finglas then into that park and into Ashtown. The longer runs I'll start running that way and then into the phoenix park. Trying to find new routes is the tough one for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Tomorrow is 3 weeks to Frank Duffy 10 mile , I've never ran a 10 mile race before just starting to think of it in terms of training and approach. The correct advice might be your training for a marathon just take it easy , but if theres a start line and a finish line its a race :) . It looks an interesting distance to race/pace especially for someone as inexperienced as myself. I obviously can't go out as fast I did at Fingal as I won't make it around. Plugging times into online calculators (these calculators seem wildly optimistic) I get about 66mins as an estimate. Thats about 4.05 per km.

With that in mind my goals will be
    sub 70 a must
    sub 69 good
    sub 68 excellent

Is there any key workouts that we should add to our program to account for this race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Tomorrow is 3 weeks to Frank Duffy 10 mile , I've never ran a 10 mile race before just starting to think of it in terms of training and approach. The correct advice might be your training for a marathon just take it easy , but if theres a start line and a finish line its a race :) . It looks an interesting distance to race/pace especially for someone as inexperienced as myself. I obviously can't go out as fast I did at Fingal as I won't make it around. Plugging times into online calculators (these calculators seem wildly optimistic) I get about 66mins as an estimate. Thats about 4.05 per km.

With that in mind my goals will be
    sub 70 a must
    sub 69 good
    sub 68 excellent

Is there any key workouts that we should add to our program to account for this race?
    This brings back memories, advice we where given in 2015 was race the races, the end Goal is DCM, so this is more of fitness test and judging how you cope racing as distance increases, plan is still to get you to DCM, this is not the target, so IMO just race as well as you can on the day, maybe take first mile or two to get on target time wise, if it's not happening no panic as you still have 13 weeks or so training for the main event, best of luck.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Bought!!! :)

same here. Ariana should be on commission lol

Yes!!! And still I've lost 7lbs since the plan started :) In truth I could do with losing it....and a bit more! :o

I'm down 10 lbs too and delighted wasn't the plan but its a nice side effect.

• Advertisement

Got my LSR done today as I'm in work all weekend. I have left the idea of the canal run for another day. Decided to run the usual 5k race circuit in the Phoenix Park, then the IR 5 mile circuit and finished it off with the Frank Duffy 10 mile route.

For anyone doing the Frank Duffy who isn't familiar with the circuit I'd advise you make sure you have something left in your legs after 8 miles as mile 9 is cruel! ;-o

Advertisement