Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hard to believe another week down. It's flying so far.

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 5 Miles at 7:43 per mile
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up with 3 by 1K intervals at 6:20 mile pace and 3 min jogging recovery and 1 mile cool down
    Thursday - 6.4 mile trail run in the woods with the club. Some laugh!
    Friday - 35 minute strength and conditioning workout
    Saturday - 14 Mile long run at 8:38 per mile. Felt good, could have gone faster but was saving myself for a race the next day and glad I had the discipline to just go at my own pace
    Sunday - 5K race in my village. Hilly route in parts but felt good and delighted to get a 20 second PB at 20:28. Think i'll give sub 20 a fair cracking on a flat course. Did a mlie warm up and cool down too

Have a wedding next Friday and going to the match in Croker on the Sunday so a little unsure when to do the long run. Was thinking of doing the 16 miles on the morning of the wedding as i've the day off. Unsure if that's a good idea. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭ariana`

deisedude wrote: »
    Hard to believe another week down. It's flying so far.

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 5 Miles at 7:43 per mile
    Wednesday - 1 mile warm up with 3 by 1K intervals at 6:20 mile pace and 3 min jogging recovery and 1 mile cool down
    Thursday - 6.4 mile trail run in the woods with the club. Some laugh!
    Friday - 35 minute strength and conditioning workout
    Saturday - 14 Mile long run at 8:38 per mile. Felt good, could have gone faster but was saving myself for a race the next day and glad I had the discipline to just go at my own pace
    Sunday - 5K race in my village. Hilly route in parts but felt good and delighted to get a 20 second PB at 20:28. Think i'll give sub 20 a fair cracking on a flat course. Did a mlie warm up and cool down too

Have a wedding next Friday and going to the match in Croker on the Sunday so a little unsure when to do the long run. Was thinking of doing the 16 miles on the morning of the wedding as i've the day off. Unsure if that's a good idea. Any suggestions?

Probably depends how able you are for 16m. I did 16m this morning and wouldn't like to have been at a wedding after as I was wrecked. Snoozed on the couch for a 15min cat nap and then watched 2 cracking hurling games (victorious in both thx god :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Week 5 bites the dust.

I felt a lot stronger this week and focused a bit more on trying to recover properly and do some more stretching after each run. Really going to need to do some proper foam rolling next week though.

Monday: gym - squats and core work. Tough enough after the LSR on Sunday.
    Tuesday: 6.2m at an easy pace.
    Wednesday: gym - some upper body and Kettlewell work.
    Thursday: - boards session 5m PMP with a 1m warm up and cool down. This was tough but a good tough (if there is such a thing!)
    Friday: 4m easy
    Saturday: 16m LSR. This was my best run on the plan so far. Accidently ran it at 9.16 average pace. Felt strong and almost felt like I had a few extra miles in the bank which is very encouraging.
    Sunday: 3.8m recovery - legs like lead and telling me that running on a bank holiday Sunday when I should be hungover was a bit silly.

I have been running the Boards sessions at above my PMP and I feel that this is really helping as my LSR this week was very close to my PMP. My fear is that I'm running too fast and will burn out/get injured.

Also really enjoying coming back from my runs and watching the world championships. Turning into an armchair athletics pundit!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Week 13/25 done!

Day: Planned/Actual

Monday: 3/3km – No probs.
    Tuesday: 5/5.2k - No probs.
    Wednesday: 8/8.2k - No probs.
    Thursday: 6/6.6k - No probs, got a second hand bike for cross training.
    Friday: Rest/Weights - Felt up to hitting the gym so got a great weights session in. Happy with this as I want to keep up weight training after DCM.
    Saturday: 12/11.7 - Did 2k, parkrun and then another parkrun. No probs.
    Sunday: Cross/Cycled 25km.

Total: 34/34.7 - Overall an easy step back week . . have a bike now for cross training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

14 miles today , mostly slower but some faster than marathon pace. Aiming to do 18 or 19 next week.... feeling left IT Band a bit, no pain but I'm 'aware' of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Week 6 Report
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 8.6km @ 5.52 per km Easy
    Wednesday: 11.35 km incl 8km MP @ 5.37
    Thursday: 5.4km @ 6.33 Recovery jog
    Friday: 29.5km @ 5.58 LSR
    Saturday: 5.6km @ 6.26 Recovery jog
    Sunday: 10.4km @ 6.13 easy jog

Week total 69km 44 miles

Best part of the week was the long run. Did it over the 5k, 5 mile and Frank Duffy circuits in the park. I never looked at the watch as an exercise and found out that as I tired I tried harder to maintain a pace and actually ran faster!! All of which confused me. I think I'm on plan, I'm comfortable with it but most others targeting 4hrs seem to regularly run faster than PMP. Am I going too slow?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Week 6 Report
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: 8.6km @ 5.52 per km Easy
    Wednesday: 11.35 km incl 8km MP @ 5.37
    Thursday: 5.4km @ 6.33 Recovery jog
    Friday: 29.5km @ 5.58 LSR
    Saturday: 5.6km @ 6.26 Recovery jog
    Sunday: 10.4km @ 6.13 easy jog

Week total 69km 44 miles

Best part of the week was the long run. Did it over the 5k, 5 mile and Frank Duffy circuits in the park. I never looked at the watch as an exercise and found out that as I tired I tried harder to maintain a pace and actually ran faster!! All of which confused me. I think I'm on plan, I'm comfortable with it but most others targeting 4hrs seem to regularly run faster than PMP. Am I going too slow?
    Your paces are faster than mine and I'm probably targeting 4:10-4:20. Not quite sure yet but somewhere in that range all going well. My LSR tends to be done at 6:30 aprox (I don't really look at the watch this seems to be my natural lsr pace) & pace runs are 5:40-5:50. My easy can be all over the pace alright but I aim for 6:10-6:40.

My last few km of the lsr tends to get faster too subconsciously, I think I hit a point where I just want to get home! I take it as a good sign that I'm able to speed (if that's the right word lol) up when I'm tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

The weeks are flying by, can't believe we are on week 7 already!!

Monday: strength + conditioning DVD
    Tuesday: 5 miles easy @ 9.52
    Wednesday: 7 miles @ 8.58
    Thursday: 3 miles @ 10.21
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 16 miles @ 10.38
    Sunday: stretch video and maybe so foam rolling later

Good week all in all. I was delighted with myself after Wednesdays session.
    This weeks LSR was so much better than last weeks although I really need to work on my mental strength, I keep doubting myself in the final mile or 2 or my LSR, if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this I'd love to hear them!!

I'm going away on Monday evening until Friday. So not sure how much running I'll get done this week! (I do have my runners packed though)
    I could fit a run in on Monday and also my LSR in on Friday evening before I go away again.
    Wubble Wubble what type of run would you suggest I do on Monday, I don't want the week to be a complete write off!

Hey hope I'm not too late with this. I would say 4 or 5 easy miles today, better not to overdo it two days after an LSR. Enjoy the break!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Just finished long run for this week - 14 miles. I was going fine until I took a gel at ten miles almost immediately my stomach started hurting, like getting stich/cramps. Id taken one before I left home and one at 5 miles. There are hi5 gels without the caffeine. I've used them all along including for last years marathon without much issue but last few times each time I've taken them I find them so sickly sweet that they are hard to stomach Which I could live with except it really killed the last few miles of my run. Perhaps I'd taken too many, I wouldn't usually have three but was testing taking them at fixed distances. Any recommendation on a different gel ideally caffeine free...thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Another week in the books groin and quad still a small bit niggley so went easy enough on the workload

Monday - 11.1 km @ 5.27 per KM
    Tues - Rest
    Wednesday - 40 min swim
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 7km @ 6.00 per KM
    Saturday - 17.7km @ 5.39 per KM
    Sunday - Rest

Have come down with a really bad case of the vomiting bug, spend yesterday really really ill so had to bin the recovery run for yesterday.

Deviated form the plan to do the long run at my PMP as I wanted to see where I was ahead of the rock n roll half this weekend.

Felt fine after it and certainly in the condition to go sub 2 hour next Sunday if I choose to, mind you today my body feels quite stiff, I'm not sure if this is down to my sickness or the run though, either way I'm seriously lacking in energy right now so I forsee a light weeks training this week as I recover.

Getting a bit frustrating as this will be the 3rd week in a row ive not been able to really do my full training programme due to illness or niggles. I have to keep telling myself that no training plan for 20 weeks can be followed absolutely. Its just I get a bit OCD on these things so I'm easily agitated :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I had a spare hour and read some of the training logs earlier. If you can find someone who has run the same time as you would like to run , well the information is invaluable. Such a well of information in them logs , the quality of the postings and talent is exceptional. I would highly recommend reading the logs, some detailed accounts of marathon day and what went right or wrong. Seen lots of workouts that I want to try now.

I had a spare hour and read some of the training logs earlier. If you can find someone who has run the same time as you would like to run , well the information is invaluable. Such a well of information in them logs , the quality of the postings and talent is exceptional. I would highly recommend reading the logs, some detailed accounts of marathon day and what went right or wrong. Seen lots of workouts that I want to try now.
    Where are they to be found?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Where are they to be found?

Here:

Training Logs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

I would also suggest if you have time that you read some of the race reports from us novices last year and also have a look at the predicted finishing times and how we faired.

It will give you all a good insight of what we all went through and would hopefully give you some pointers for this year.

Great progress is being made by the group this year and as the mileage creeps up the encouragement and help that you can give each other will become invaluable.

Have any of you managed to cover some of the marathon route on the longer runs yet?

I would also suggest if you have time that you read some of the race reports from us novices last year and also have a look at the predicted finishing times and how we faired.

It will give you all a good insight of what we all went through and would hopefully give you some pointers for this year.

Great progress is being made by the group this year and as the mileage creeps up the encouragement and help that you can give each other will become invaluable.

Have any of you managed to cover some of the marathon route on the longer runs yet?

Is there a special thread for these race reports and predicted finishing times? Or do I look for the 2016 DCM novices thread and read it all ?

I haven't looked at the route I was tempted to go into it blind rather than worry about what lies ahead.

The only worrying thing I read consistently is that peoples times seem to be way off Mcmillan prediction times , like literally no one beats the predicted time. I'm adding about 25 mins onto what Mcmillan predicts and running with the pacers for that time and hoping that's enough.

Thanks! Had a quick look and read a few pages of TheMuppet's log. Truly amazing stuff!!

Is there a special thread for these race reports and predicted finishing times? Or do I look for the 2016 DCM novices thread and read it all ?

I haven't looked at the route I was tempted to go into it blind rather than worry about what lies ahead.

The only worrying thing I read consistently is that peoples times seem to be way off Mcmillan prediction times , like literally no one beats the predicted time. I'm adding about 25 mins onto what Mcmillan predicts and running with the pacers for that time and hoping that's enough.

It's in the DCM Novices 2016 thread. Some great split time information for their gang too which was particularly interesting to me. Lots were targetting 4hrs as I hope to be and it was good to see how they got on over the course of the 26.2

Hopefully this works...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057592756/483

Page 483 of the 2016 Thread if it doesn't.....race reports will be around there aswell.

If it is any help I had an ambitious 3.39.59 coming off a 1.40 1/2 and ended with 3.46.xx.

One other thing I would recommend is that you have not run in a pace group before try thisbis the 1/2 if you are doing it.

Craig

Hopefully this works...

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057592756/483

Page 483 of the 2016 Thread if it doesn't.....race reports will be around there aswell.

If it is any help I had an ambitious 3.39.59 coming off a 1.40 1/2 and ended with 3.46.xx.

One other thing I would recommend is that you have not run in a pace group before try thisbis the 1/2 if you are doing it.

Craig

Cheers that worked.
    Yeah you see McMillan has you down for a 3.31 based on a 1:40, them calculators are ridiculous imo. I think you did very well at 3.46.xx , I've not raced a half marathon so no idea on time , I've ran 1:42 ish half marathons as part of long runs so I'm hopeful of around 1:30-1:35 , personally I think ill need to be fairly close to 1:30 half to break 3:30 (which is my goal).

Yeah I take McMillan with a pinch of salt; I would have taken sub 4 at the start of the process. There was another predictor tool in the thread last year (maybe a Runners World one that was a bit more realistic).

I think if you can get close to 1.30 for the 1/2 then you would have a great shout at 3.30. It does of course all come down to the day and pushing yourself into the unknown.

They don't say the marathon is a 20 mile warm-up for a 6 mile race for nothing.....following the plan and getting yourself to the line in good shape is all you can ask for.

Everyone also has to remember that you only get one chance to run your first marathon and you should try and embrace it as much as you can. I know there are a few from novices thread going again both in Dublin and other marathons this year with a more time focussed approach.
    Cheers that worked.
    Yeah you see McMillan has you down for a 3.31 based on a 1:40, them calculators are ridiculous imo. I think you did very well at 3.46.xx , I've not raced a half marathon so no idea on time , I've ran 1:42 ish half marathons as part of long runs so I'm hopeful of around 1:30-1:35 , personally I think ill need to be fairly close to 1:30 half to break 3:30 (which is my goal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

sgal wrote: »
    Just finished long run for this week - 14 miles. I was going fine until I took a gel at ten miles almost immediately my stomach started hurting, like getting stich/cramps. Id taken one before I left home and one at 5 miles. There are hi5 gels without the caffeine. I've used them all along including for last years marathon without much issue but last few times each time I've taken them I find them so sickly sweet that they are hard to stomach Which I could live with except it really killed the last few miles of my run. Perhaps I'd taken too many, I wouldn't usually have three but was testing taking them at fixed distances. Any recommendation on a different gel ideally caffeine free...thank you.

I could never stomach the Hi5 gels, always found them too sickly.

I take 2 different types - the GU type which is very thick, the trick is to take it over the course of a mile or 2 - prior to a water stop.
    The other one in a Kenitica, Cola flavour - these can be taken without water - neither impact my stomach in the way the Hi5 did.

Try to use different types in the next few weeks and settle on what suits you.

Elverys/ 51 degrees North etc stock a lot of types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The link below, which was compiled by our wonderful mentor Dubgal72, contains all the DCM race reports from the 2015 novices thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97562023&postcount=7901

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Does any one else ever get the empty stomach feeling when running. It really effects me and I'm not sure how to avoid it.

For my LSR I am eating breakfast and out running within 20 mins. If I eat too much I feel full and bloated but anything else and I start to feel empty. I'm using gels and jellys to overcome it.

Should I be eating more during the week? More carbs?

Omeceron wrote: »
    Does any one else ever get the empty stomach feeling when running. It really effects me and I'm not sure how to avoid it.

For my LSR I am eating breakfast and out running within 20 mins. If I eat too much I feel full and bloated but anything else and I start to feel empty. I'm using gels and jellys to overcome it.

Should I be eating more during the week? More carbs?

I'm the opposite I just can't run after eating at all , I was meeting a mate for a night run and even leaving 4 hours after my last meal was not enough I felt bloated and stomach pains.

I've experimented with gels and they seem fine so I'll probably starting using them when i get over 15miles.

I'm going to start experimenting with porridge pre run as I'll probably need something in me on marathon morning.

Maybe try out different foods oats are normally good for filling me up or lots of pasta .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

I could never stomach the Hi5 gels, always found them too sickly.

I take 2 different types - the GU type which is very thick, the trick is to take it over the course of a mile or 2 - prior to a water stop.
    The other one in a Kenitica, Cola flavour - these can be taken without water - neither impact my stomach in the way the Hi5 did.

Try to use different types in the next few weeks and settle on what suits you.

Elverys/ 51 degrees North etc stock a lot of types.

Thanks for that. I'll definitely give the kenitica one a go.
    Thanks again

sgal wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll definitely give the kenitica one a go.
    Thanks again
    I tried that Kinetica one and had no problems with it. The cola flavour is reasonably nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks! Had a quick look and read a few pages of TheMuppet's log. Truly amazing stuff!!

Very kind of you , I would never have ran a marathon without this thread' , it's the people here freely designing training plans and giving advice and encouragement to very average runners like myself that are amazing. If anyone can add commitment to that they can run a marathon

The Muppet wrote: »
    Very kind of you , I would never have ran a marathon without this thread' , it's the people here freely designing training plans and giving advice and encouragement to very average runners like myself that are amazing. If anyone can add commitment to that they can run a marathon

Fair play to you! A few knocks and bad days along the way but forever philosophical and learning for the next day. I can promise the commitment, just worried about the legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I haven't covered any of the route to date but I had planned on doing the 20 mile LSR on the last 20 miles of the route. My thinking is that psychologically it will be good to have ran the end of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Looking forward to this week, missed one run last week due to a sore knee but the rest went ok. Mixed my LSR in with a parkrun and ran it wayyyyy too fast but it was my first one and I was feeling good so :pac:

Slow week for sure this week, havent even started reading into PMP or what type of pace im looking at for a 4:00 marathon. Lots of reading to be done!

Hope everyone is getting through the training and injury free too, mad to think were 1/3 through already :eek:

In work till 2 on saturday so the 12 miler will have to be afternoon time, would rather have it done early but ah well.

Advertisement