Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Week 6 Review

Bit of a mixed bag with work, selling a house and buying a house. Recovering after a wedding was the name of the game for me

Monday: Stretch & foam roll
    Tuesday: LSR 12.39km @6:05km/min
    Wednesday: Stretch & foam roll
    Thursday: Intervals/Speed 4.01km @6:13km/min
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Family thing...i.e. nothing
    Sunday: LSR 17.2km @ 6:21km/min

I think I can only get out for a 5km tonight and Thursday, and perhaps Friday. Rock and Roll at weekend then, looking forward to it. I figure if I can do 17km on my own, I'll be able to get the additional 4km on the day

I have to say, I really enjoy this forum, everyone giving advice and encouragement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Omeceron wrote: »
    Does any one else ever get the empty stomach feeling when running. It really effects me and I'm not sure how to avoid it.

For my LSR I am eating breakfast and out running within 20 mins. If I eat too much I feel full and bloated but anything else and I start to feel empty. I'm using gels and jellys to overcome it.

Should I be eating more during the week? More carbs?

What are you having for breakfast before your run :) I find if I have a banana and toast with a cuppa, I am fine for my LSR and have not needed to fuel during it although my longest LSR was 10miles

I am trying Tailwind for my next LSR instead of gels

But maybe looking at how much carbs and protein you are eating during the weeks esp the day before your long run might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Another week down great to read everyone weekly reports!

Also thanks so much for all the links to the reports I have started reading already they are brilliant, I already read and follow a lot of the training logs they really are great and very inspiring

My week was good and ended great 18.4 miles
    Monday rest day
    Tuesday Run 5.1 miles nice easy pace 10.01 ( legs felt good after LSR on Sunday) also cycled 9.6miles
    Wednesday Cross training 1-hour boot camp and 1-hour spinning
    Thursday Run 6.2 miles slow average pace 10.46
    Friday Night hike up Brandon Hill great fun and really worked the glutes :D
    Saturday had planned a cycle but took a rest day I was very tired and very busy with kids & house
    Sunday Long run planned 7 miles, We ran in Eist Support centre fun run doing the 10km, I ran the extra distance as a warm up before the race started and just paused my watch, the plan was to see how I felt and just enjoy it, I felt great throughout which I think was down to the great group I was running with and we caught up with the 60 minute pacer who was a lovely girl and I told her we were not going to lose her :D so I kept with her on till we came to the last 2.5km mark which had a little down hill and I was able to pick up the pace and hold it and it felt great, I sprinted to the finish passing out a guy who was ahead of me, I felt sorry for him and tried to get him to come with me but he said no and to go on, finished strong actually felt I could have pushed the pace more. the clock said 1hr 2 minutes and I did not care LOL I felt great But even better when I was told to ignore the clock, it was the 5KM clock so I got a PB of 57minutes 40 seconds knocking 5 minutes off my 10KM time.

I am looking forward to this week training and the weekends LSR just need to find a good route as I found our 10mile LSR route boring as hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So last week was a write off for me. The week previous was great with me doing a 5k, 6k, 3k and a 10k runs. Feeling fantastic and ready to try extend my distance last week, but distaster struck with a viral infection. Was on the toliet from Sunday onwards until thursday. Poor sleep, lack of energy and a chest full of phlem all meant I couldnt get out last week.

But thats in the past, today Im hoping to get out on my lunch break and go as much a my body allows me. Wish me luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

I have a silly question on Gels.
    Any tips on opening them?
    I did 16m LSR on Sat and tried out a Kinetica Gel around mile 8.
    I lost over a minute with it.

My hands were all sweaty so I really struggled to open it. When I eventually managed to prise it open with my teeth it all spilled down my chin and onto the packet and then my hands and face were all sticky. Didn't want to waste my bottle of water on it so ended up rinsing my hands in a puddle!! Thank God I run solo on rural roads as I made such a mess of it I'm glad no one was watching.
    I can't imagine having to get through a few of them and in public on race day. I'd say I'd add 5 mins to my already pretty slow time.

Other than that my week went well. Was wrecked at end of LSR and legs felt all weird but a shower and some lunch and I was back to normal in no time.
    This week is off to a bad start in that I missed yesterdays run but hopefully get out this evening instead.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've not been on the laptop for a while, and its way too difficult to put long posts on here using the phone.

Last week:

Monday: 3 miles easy @ 11:54
    Tuesday: I usually go for a run after work at 9pm but just couldn't face it this week.
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: 7 miles LSR : 11:52
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 3 mile easy @ 9:49
    Sunday: 5 miles easy @ 11:45

Saturday's run was as a pacer at park run. I chose 33 minutes, so I could do an easy run, but everyone had GPS issues, and my strava completely misread the course, showing 5km run with still 0.5 km to go. It was great practice to watch the pace and slow down and speed up accordingly, but it has made me very worried that my runs aren't long enough, if it reads an extra 0.5km onto 5kms, what is it doing on the longer runs? I turned the house upside down yesterday but couldn't find the charging cradle for my Garmin, so have ordered one, rather than a new watch, and hopefully that will be more accurate.

Not looking forward to the 12 mile run this week, and am a bit concerned that the mileage is really ramping up now on the HHN plan. I feel like I'm getting slower, and more unfit, although looking at the times, thats probably not really the case. I have been using the Hi-5 tablets dissolved in water, but not convinced, so will run my 6 miles today with just water before and after, and see how I get on.

Well done everyone, its great to read the updates and see all the work that everyone is putting into this. I can't believe how naive I was thinking I could do other stuff while training for this thing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

henrietta wrote: »

My hands were all sweaty so I really struggled to open it. When I eventually managed to prise it open with my teeth it all spilled down my chin and onto the packet and then my hands and face were all sticky. Didn't want to waste my bottle of water on it so ended up rinsing my hands in a puddle!! Thank God I run solo on rural roads as I made such a mess of it I'm glad no one was watching.
    I can't imagine having to get through a few of them and in public on race day. I'd say I'd add 5 mins to my already pretty slow time.

Other than that my week went well. Was wrecked at end of LSR and legs felt all weird but a shower and some lunch and I was back to normal in no time.
    This week is off to a bad start in that I missed yesterdays run but hopefully get out this evening instead.

Thanks.

think it is just practice for ya but its an open with your teeth job. Nip it across the neck where its narrow whist pinching down on the neck with your other hand stopping any spillage as you tear the top off.

then squeeze it into your mouth from the bottom up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I had a poor week (Week 6 Boards plan).
    Knee niggles kept me off the road on Tuesday. I did the 7 mile PMP on Wednesday and thankfully my knee felt was fine.
    Thursday evening didn't go to plan as I didn't get home till after 9pm. Was too tired to go for a run.
    Maybe it's because i missed 2 out of the 3 mid week runs but I really struggled with the 16m LSR on Saturday. The last 5 miles were a struggle and I really had to grind through each mile.

I should be happy I finished the PMP and I'm looking forward to the step back to 14 miles this weekend. I'm golfing on Saturday afternoon so will probably change my LSR day to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I had a poor week (Week 6 Boards plan).
    Knee niggles kept me off the road on Tuesday. I did the 7 mile PMP on Wednesday and thankfully my knee felt was fine.
    Thursday evening didn't go to plan as I didn't get home till after 9pm. Was too tired to go for a run.
    Maybe it's because i missed 2 out of the 3 mid week runs but I really struggled with the 16m PMP on Saturday. The last 5 miles were a struggle and I really had to grind through each mile.

I should be happy I finished the PMP and I'm looking forward to the step back to 14 miles this weekend. I'm golfing on Saturday afternoon so will probably change my LSR day to Sunday.

Please tell me that's a typo :eek: you surely meant LSR? Hope the niggles have cleared up.

• Advertisement

I haven't covered any of the route to date but I had planned on doing the 20 mile LSR on the last 20 miles of the route. My thinking is that psychologically it will be good to have ran the end of the race.

Absolutely go for this later on in the training. Last year I did it 4 weeks out, and felt great afterwards even though I ran 19 of the 20 in pouring rain. Start at Castleknock Gate and work your way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Week 6

Mon: 4.9m @ 8.33m
    Tue: Rest
    Weds: 9.5m @ 8.3 (including hills)
    Thurs: 6.1m @ 8.28
    Fri: 4.9m @ 8.35
    Sat: LSR 6: 17.8m @ 8.32 [8.55 pace for first 8 miles, with last 10m (including a parkrun) at < 8.24 (PMP)]
    Sun: Rest
    TOTAL: 43.3m

All in all, a really great week. I was off work, which put the routine out of kilter (including ^ alcohol, ^ kids tiredness and consequently ^ my tiredness), but i still managed to keep my mileage and energy levels quite high, which i was happy with. I found the almost 18 mile LSR remarkably comfortable (other than tired legs in the last 2 miles) - mind you, it was drug assisted via 3 fizzy jellys from miles 9 - 18. I am still trying to slow down all of my runs but clearly my pace is my major area for improvement. Still absolutely no niggles which i'm equally happy and nervous about - as the mileage increases to much more than i have ever done before, i kind of assumed i would get some niggles but none yet.

Had my first mid-run 'incident', but thankfully it was in the woods surrounding Dunmore East rather than my usual routes which are a little less secluded, which would have been a bit of a nightmare ....

henrietta wrote: »

Thanks.

No such thing as a stupid question ;)
    I had that problem with gels all last year...and probably will again if/when I use them in the lead up to this year's attempt.

Well done on the LSR, and don't worry so much about yesterday's run, the LSRs and PMP runs (if on Boards) are the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Please tell me that's a typo :eek: you surely meant LSR? Hope the niggles have cleared up.

Sharp eyes, fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi folks

Was all set to write the weekly report on Sat but we got engaged about an hour after Park Run so just getting around to it now!

Tuesday- 5 mile- 9.54 per mile

Wednesday- Rest

Thursday- 15 mile LSR- 12.27 per minute. It went grand enough, took a gel at mile 10 which gave me a boost but hate the taste of them.

Sat- Park Run- Completed in 29.16 minutes

Have done nothing since only drink and eat :D:D:D

Will try and get back to it tomorrow evening, will see how it goes

The long runs are going to get a whole lot more exciting :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Hi everyone. Had a digital detox last week so haven't had a chance to catch up with everyone. Still following the physios orders and haven't been doing any runnning but doing my exercises. Will do a few easy runs this week though. Hope I get an all clear this week to start training again. It's tough being sidelined. Did some hillwalking and cycling last week and my leg held up well so feeling positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

statina wrote: »
    Hi folks

Was all set to write the weekly report on Sat but we got engaged on Sat (an hour after Park Run :p!) so just getting around to it now!

Tuesday- 5 mile easy

Wednesday- Rest

Thursday- 15 mile LSR- 12.27 per minute. It went grand enough, took a gel at mile 10 which gave me a boost but hate the taste of them.

The long runs are going to get a whole more exciting :p:p

Huge congrats!

Just back from my Lunch time run, first run since 9 days ago

Did 7.7 km in 39 mins with an average pace of 5.04km according to Strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Hi folks

Was all set to write the weekly report on Sat but we got engaged about an hour after Park Run so just getting around to it now!

Wednesday- Rest

Whoaaaa! We're letting trivial things like engagements interfer with our marathon training?? WTF!! :p

Congratulations!

Hi folks

Wednesday- Rest

Congrats! Did the propsal take place at the Park Run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Congrats! Did the propsal take place at the Park Run?

In the grounds about an hour after :-)
    Thanks for the good wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Looking for some advice on the LSRs. I'm on HHN1 and on week 13, aiming for my marathon on 17th sept.

Any of the longer mid week runs up to 10 miles, I can maintain 10 minute miles comfortably enough. Anything longer than this and my times drop. I feel my legs just can't keep going. My 12 mile lsr was 2h13min, my 15 mile lsr was 2h46m, and my 16 mile lsr was 3h. I'm due to do the 18 mile lsr this weekend and i think I'll be 3 and a half hours.

I have found that my fitness is improving and showing in my runs under 10 miles, i can hit 9.30 miles for some of my 5 to 8 mile runs that i couldn't do 2 months ago, but the longer distances catch me.

Befors starting HHN1 i had been running 2 or 3 10kms a week for 2 months. I've found stuff online suggesting my base might not be strong enough.

I guess my question is, is a full marathon too far for me this year? Should i do some halfs, maintain fitness and lose some weight and try again next year. Attempting 26.2 after 30 weeks of training kinda seems crazy, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Sounds like you're running your long runs too fast.

A simple indicator is the talk test, say the alphabet out loud. If you struggle to talk clearly as if you were walking you're running too fast.

Lazare wrote:
    Sounds like you're running your long runs too fast.

Ive started the lsrs between 11.30 and 13.00 min miles on different runs. Any slower I'd be going backwards. I've seen that advice on here to others before. Not sure what else to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Kmagic wrote: »
    Ive started the lsrs between 11.30 and 13.00 min miles on different runs. Any slower I'd be going backwards. I've seen that advice on here to others before. Not sure what else to try.

Post up a typical week, are you recovering enough for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I'm away this weekend so juggling my running around. Thinking about getting up at stupid o clock and running to work in the morning extending the run down the coast to make the 27/28k run I had planned for this weekend.
    Last few days
    Saturday .. progression 24k
    Sunday .... rest
    Monday... 15k easy
    Tuesday (today ) ... rest
    Anticipating
    Wednesday ... 28k Lsr
    Thursday .... maybe recovery 8-10k
    I'll rest then till following Tuesday .
    Any dangers in this plan ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kmagic wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on the LSRs. I'm on HHN1 and on week 13, aiming for my marathon on 17th sept.

Any of the longer mid week runs up to 10 miles, I can maintain 10 minute miles comfortably enough. Anything longer than this and my times drop. I feel my legs just can't keep going. My 12 mile lsr was 2h13min, my 15 mile lsr was 2h46m, and my 16 mile lsr was 3h. I'm due to do the 18 mile lsr this weekend and i think I'll be 3 and a half hours.

I have found that my fitness is improving and showing in my runs under 10 miles, i can hit 9.30 miles for some of my 5 to 8 mile runs that i couldn't do 2 months ago, but the longer distances catch me.

Befors starting HHN1 i had been running 2 or 3 10kms a week for 2 months. I've found stuff online suggesting my base might not be strong enough.

I guess my question is, is a full marathon too far for me this year? Should i do some halfs, maintain fitness and lose some weight and try again next year. Attempting 26.2 after 30 weeks of training kinda seems crazy, no?

You say your "legs just can't keep going", but they've gone far enough to do 16 miles so far. Do you think they can keep going for 26.2 miles on the day? If so then do it. Forget the time it takes, just do it. I'm a lot slower than you (I'm definitely the slowest in the group here), having done my 12 mile this week in nearly 2.5 hours. But what does it matter? I'm new to running so every race will be a PB for me, and if this is your first marathon, as I presume it is, then you'll get a guaranteed PB when you do it too. No harm in continuing to improve your fitness, drop your weight, do the marathon and then have a goal to beat when you do it again next year, eh?

quickbeam wrote:
    You say your "legs just can't keep going", but they've gone far enough to do 16 miles so far. Do you think they can keep going for 26.2 miles on the day? If so then do it. Forget the time it takes, just do it. I'm a lot slower than you (I'm definitely the slowest in the group here), having done my 12 mile this week in nearly 2.5 hours. But what does it matter? I'm new to running so every race will be a PB for me, and if this is your first marathon, as I presume it is, then you'll get a guaranteed PB when you do it too. No harm in continuing to improve your fitness, drop your weight, do the marathon and then have a goal to beat when you do it again next year, eh?

I've just found the gap between 10 and 12 miles is way smaller than the gap between 15 and 16 miles. Everything will get exponentially tougher per mile thereafter. I think i just didn't give the 26.2 enough respect starting off. Have you been running long before this training plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Training with club tonight, though I was relatively fast ( 6'30 per mile in 'Intervals' ) my body felt like one in need of rest....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I run past hay fields on Saturdays and Sundays. They looks inviting, not because of tiredness, but they seem like a giant mattress you could flop onto...

Advertisement