Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

muddypaws wrote: »
    Has anyone tried baby food pouches instead of energy gels, or jelly sweets?

It looks like the likes of Ella's Kitchen's fruit based baby smoothies are used by some folks with some success: http://fellrunningguide.co.uk/baby-food-for-distance-runners/

The likes of their Sausage And Mash pouches are probably best left for the kids.

Another options could be to try fruit - raisins, apple slices, dried figs/apricots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yevon wrote: »
    12k last night and an unplanned 10k with a friend tonight. Both at a very easy pace but could feel the shins complaining towards the end of this evening's run.
    I'm signing up for the Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon on Sunday and I'll use it as my LSR for this week.

I'm keen to take up a Yoga class to help improve flexibility issues and combat sitting on my ass at a desk for 8 hours a day. Can anyone recommend a decent one on the South Side that would be useful for runners? I think one or two classes a week would be a great help.

I go to YogaHub and I really like it. It has lots of classes, which makes it easier to fit into a busy running schedule. I've never been, so I can't recommend, but Yoga Dublin are running a 6-week yoga for runners workshop in September. Think they might also be running a 2-hour workshop on September. The course is on in their Ranelagh studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭ariana`

So we haven't talked about pace in a while :pac:

Anyone else find it hard to stick to the pace on the PMP runs?When i hit PMP day it's like letting a wild animal out of a cage.. well ok i'm not quite that fast :pac: but this week for example, i was supposed to do 8k at PMP sandwiched between a w/u and a c/d, but my run looked more like 5k @ PMP, 3k @ HMP & 1k @ 10K pace (ooooops). Just wondering if anyone else is finding this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Are you using a GPS watch Ariana? This should help you to maintain a consistent pace for the PMP.

I am in no way advocating that we have to become slaves to watches etc; I just think that running to a set pace is a tricky skill to master for relative novice runners over time and as you become more experienced it will be easier to judge pace by feel alone.

ariana` wrote: »

Anyone else find it hard to stick to the pace on the PMP runs?When i hit PMP day it's like letting a wild animal out of a cage.. well ok i'm not quite that fast :pac: but this week for example, i was supposed to do 8k at PMP sandwiched between a w/u and a c/d, but my run looked more like 5k @ PMP, 3k @ HMP & 1k @ 10K pace (ooooops). Just wondering if anyone else is finding this?

Are you using a GPS watch Ariana? This should help you to maintain a consistent pace for the PMP.

I am in no way advocating that we have to become slaves to watches etc; I just think that running to a set pace is a tricky skill to master for relative novice runners over time and as you become more experienced it will be easier to judge pace by feel alone.

Yes, i have a garmin, my problem seems to be that i get chatting with friends or enjoying the scenery and forget to look at it very often :o I guess if i read the manual i could probably set a target pace with alerts if i'm going too fast/too slow, i just need to make the time to figure it out.

I have my easy pace fairly down without the watch but pmp tends to be anything that is faster than easy and that's a pretty big range :o

• Advertisement

What if you set your Garmin to autolap every say 500m? At least it would beep/vibrate and prompt you to check your pace...if you have the easy pace down without your watch then it won't take you too long to get a feel for PMP also.

Wubble might be along to suggest some naked running aswell ( don't worry it is fully clothed just without your watch/phone for pacing!).

Yes, i have a garmin, my problem seems to be that i get chatting with friends or enjoying the scenery and forget to look at it very often :o I guess if i read the manual i could probably set a target pace with alerts if i'm going too fast/too slow, i just need to make the time to figure it out.

I have my easy pace fairly down without the watch but pmp tends to be anything that is faster than easy and that's a pretty big range :o

What if you set your Garmin to autolap every say 500m? At least it would beep/vibrate and prompt you to check your pace...if you have the easy pace down without your watch then it won't take you too long to get a feel for PMP also.

Wubble might be along to suggest some naked running aswell ( don't worry it is fully clothed just without your watch/phone for pacing!).

:eek:

I never thought of setting a shorter lap time, it's at the default. Good idea, i'll try it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

:eek:

I never thought of setting a shorter lap time, it's at the default. Good idea, i'll try it thanks.

Its good that you were faster than PMP - so you'll get an extra training effect there - but doing it too often will mean your body wont be training itself to run with its own fuel at that pace. You'll keep on dipping into reserves by doing faster stuff.

On race day you'll have pacers etc to keep you in check, but you certainly want your body trained before that to know what PMP is.

Anyway, if your laughing and joking while doing a PMP run at HMP then this marathon will be a breeze to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Had my lunch time run, great day in dublin to get out. Dry, light breeze and a bit of sun. Did 8.5 km in 44.19. Average pace of 5:16 km. Guzzled the protein milk after it! Felt really good after it and really glad I got out.

Have a 5k park run on sat morning and then going for a 10 k Sunday night. Literally cant wait. (Plus all that Premiership football in between :) )

Its good that you were faster than PMP - so you'll get an extra training effect there - but doing it too often will mean your body wont be training itself to run with its own fuel at that pace. You'll keep on dipping into reserves by doing faster stuff.

On race day you'll have pacers etc to keep you in check, but you certainly want your body trained before that to know what PMP is.

Anyway, if your laughing and joking while doing a PMP run at HMP then this marathon will be a breeze to you :)

I wouldn't quite say this. I can talk at HMP but i do find as time goes on i get closer to just 1 word answers. I mostly run on my own but about once a week i run with a few friends and i enjoy the company. They tend to run easy but there's 1 girl who's a bit faster than me so i was hoping her easy would be my pmp but i think her easy might be my hmp (she says it's me who's pushing the pace :o) I might try to run with them on an easy day and stay with the slower group.

Are there many pace groups for the marathon. Its early days but say i go for 4:20:00? Or would i have to choose either 4:15 or 4:30?

• Advertisement

I believe there are pacers ever 10 minutes from 3.00 hr pace.....one thing I would suggest is if you are doing the race series 1/2 run with one of the pace groups during that.....just to get a feel for what it is like.

The pacers give great encouragement during the marathon ( at least this was my impression from last year).

I wouldn't quite say this. I can talk at HMP but i do find as time goes on i get closer to just 1 word answers. I mostly run on my own but about once a week i run with a few friends and i enjoy the company. They tend to run easy but there's 1 girl who's a bit faster than me so i was hoping her easy would be my pmp but i think her easy might be my hmp (she says it's me who's pushing the pace :o) I might try to run with them on an easy day and stay with the slower group.

Are there many pace groups for the marathon. Its early days but say i go for 4:20:00? Or would i have to choose either 4:15 or 4:30?

I believe there are pacers ever 10 minutes from 3.00 hr pace.....one thing I would suggest is if you are doing the race series 1/2 run with one of the pace groups during that.....just to get a feel for what it is like.

The pacers give great encouragement during the marathon ( at least this was my impression from last year).

Thank i'm not doing that half so i'll be winging it i'm afraid. I did attempt to run with a pace group once before (at an 8km race) but it didn't work out for long but this time i might try harder as i've more lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thank i'm not doing that half so i'll be winging it i'm afraid. I did attempt to run with a pace group once before (at an 8km race) but it didn't work out for long but this time i might try harder as i've more lose.

A lot of parkruns use pacers the last Sat of the month if you want to get the experience of it, you could find out on the parkrun thread which one is closest to you.

Edit, sorry, I see above you have ran with pacers before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

12 mile LSR done. Only 5 more longer than that runs to do now before the looooong run is how I'm looking at it. Not a bad run, average pace of 12:39. I had a quick break at 7 miles for a wee, a gel and some water, had everything laid out ready so that I didn't stop for long.

Back in the day, I would sometimes have a pro plus, caffeine tablet, after a heavy night to get through work the next day, they were great but then I found sometimes that you would really crash once the effect wore off. Any evidence or discussions about whether the same can happen with gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

More good news from the Physio! Have to ease myself back up to the long distances again but nothing to be concerned about long term injury wise - they are confident I'll get to the starting line at the end of October. Dying to get out there again - looking at strava has been torture :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I have started back running again after nearly two weeks of not running at all.

Over the last two weeks I have been cycling a long - including a really long one - 240 odd kilometers, 10+ hours moving time. In total I would have done over 700 kms over cycling including couple of goes at Mamore Gap. I understand that cycling can never really replace running but surely it would help build endurance and I suppose train the mental game of "sticking with it" thru rain, aches and pains. Here's hoping.

Anyway, back to running today and did a gentle 13k @ 6m/km pace, usual niggles - left ankle protests first and then it fades, right thigh moans a bit, and then it's the left knee, but after about 5k everything is calm and you are just moving along and after stopping, for the first time my legs felt lighter (instead of the usual dead tired feel I used to get). Perhaps something to do with the cycling. Anyway, back to running 100% now and looking forward 20k LSR on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

muddypaws wrote: »
    12 mile LSR done. Only 4 more long long runs to do now before the looooong run is how I'm looking at it. Not a bad run, average pace of 12:39. I had a quick break at 7 miles for a wee, a gel and some water, had everything laid out ready so that I didn't stop for long.

Back in the day, I would sometimes have a pro plus, caffeine tablet, after a heavy night to get through work the next day, they were great but then I found sometimes that you would really crash once the effect wore off. Any evidence or discussions about whether the same can happen with gels?

Gels are fuel. You take them to ensure you don't run out of fuel during prolonged exercise. After the finish line you will probably crash but a pizza and lots of pints will fix that! :D

positron wrote: »
    I have started back running again after nearly two weeks of not running at all.

Over the last two weeks I have been cycling a long - including a really long one - 240 odd kilometers, 10+ hours moving time. In total I would have done over 700 kms over cycling including couple of goes at Mamore Gap. I understand that cycling can never really replace running but surely it would help build endurance and I suppose train the mental game of "sticking with it" thru rain, aches and pains. Here's hoping.

Anyway, back to running today and did a gentle 13k @ 6m/km pace, usual niggles - left ankle protests first and then it fades, right thigh moans a bit, and then it's the left knee, but after about 5k everything is calm and you are just moving along and after stopping, for the first time my legs felt lighter (instead of the usual dead tired feel I used to get). Perhaps something to do with the cycling. Anyway, back to running 100% now and looking forward 20k LSR on Saturday.

I'll declare an interest here. Cycling is a magnificent sport. It has been my lifelong interest. However there is zero correlation between running and cycling ability. Most good cyclists couldn't run to save their lives. Sure isn't it a known fact that triathlon was invented for those who couldn't make it as cyclists? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭positron

I guess it's all relative - considering where I am coming from - lead 'sitter' of Club CouchPotato, any activity I do will help my running I suppose. :D This may not translate to those who are already reasonably fit and good at cycling or running.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    I guess it's all relative - considering where I am coming from - lead 'sitter' of Club CouchPotato, any activity I do will help my running I suppose. :D This may not translate to those who are already reasonably fit and good at cycling or running.

Oh both will undoubtedly boost your fitness! As someone who spent 30 years on that couch ( or more accurately on a high stool 5 nights a week ) I can appreciate your efforts. One thing I have learned here though is that the marathon is a special beast that needs lots of running. It stresses the body so much, not just the normal indicators of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

This is me the last few weeks!

leesider77 wrote: »
    This is me the last few weeks!

You have a cute nose!!

Wohoo Positron & Leesider, great news, welcome back both of you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

I used to rope in some of the park run gang to pace me for the pmp miles if someone is pacing you then you can ignore the watch and let them do the work. Its amazing how running with someone will take away the negative thoughts 'I'm never going to be able to do this for 26.2 miles ' It's really handy for the longer runs where 2nd half might be mp.

Although frank Duffy 10m isn't for another 2 weeks, does anyone know if race numbers can be replaced?

Seemed to have misplaced my one

Although frank Duffy 10m isn't for another 2 weeks, does anyone know if race numbers can be replaced?

Seemed to have misplaced my one

They can be replaced for €10

Lovely, thanks

Better have a root of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

A question on paces and watches!! I run with my hubby most of the time ( well I should say I run behind him :D) But can watches really differ in pace!! last night my watch said 6-minute pace and he was in front telling me it was slow at 6.30-minute :D:D:D I have a Tom Tom he has a Gramin :eek: that is a big difference to me!
    It does not really matter in the grand scheme of things on till it is our LSR and pace is important and I am running it too fast :confused: or am I :confused:

Otherwise, the week is going well, I am looking forward to my run tonight and then LSR on Sunday I am a little nervous but looking forward to it as well.

Muddypaws, you still going to Galeforce next week :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

This is the one i got actually. It's less expensive than the one i linked earlier. Sorry about that.

The bottles are smaller than the one i posted earlier, 200ml compared to 300ml but it's enough for me, as i say so far i've still had at least 1 full bottle to knock back at the end of the run.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Bought!!! :)

... and received!!! Can't wait to try it out on the next long run.

Probably a really stupid question, but what are the dangly bits for?

Advertisement