Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Baby75 wrote: »
    A question on paces and watches!! I run with my hubby most of the time ( well I should say I run behind him :D) But can watches really differ in pace!! last night my watch said 6-minute pace and he was in front telling me it was slow at 6.30-minute :D:D:D I have a Tom Tom he has a Gramin :eek: that is a big difference to me!
    It does not really matter in the grand scheme of things on till it is our LSR and pace is important and I am running it too fast :confused: or am I :confused:

Otherwise, the week is going well, I am looking forward to my run tonight and then LSR on Sunday I am a little nervous but looking forward to it as well.

Muddypaws, you still going to Galeforce next week :)

I guess maybe a way to check is to do a route that you know the length of, such as a park run course, and then work out the pace yourself. I felt I was slower last night than previous runs, but apparently not, so I'm not sure how accurate they are.

No, is that the Wicklow one? I did the Galway one a few weeks ago, nice and localish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭ariana`

Baby75 wrote: »
    A question on paces and watches!! I run with my hubby most of the time ( well I should say I run behind him :D) But can watches really differ in pace!! last night my watch said 6-minute pace and he was in front telling me it was slow at 6.30-minute :D:D:D I have a Tom Tom he has a Gramin :eek: that is a big difference to me!
    It does not really matter in the grand scheme of things on till it is our LSR and pace is important and I am running it too fast :confused: or am I :confused:

Otherwise, the week is going well, I am looking forward to my run tonight and then LSR on Sunday I am a little nervous but looking forward to it as well.

Muddypaws, you still going to Galeforce next week :)
    That sounds like a big discrepancy. Good advice from muddy paws.

My friend has a Tom Tom and I have a Garmin. My watch also bleeps for the km before hers does. Say over 8km there's about a 100m discrepancy between them. That's why they're a guide really and PBs only count on Chip time at an AAI race.

quickbeam wrote: »
    ... and received!!! Can't wait to try it out on the next long run.

Probably a really stupid question, but what are the dangly bits for?

Good question... I haven't a clue either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Think the time has come to do either no Sunday run or just a very short one. Have dome 3 x 17 miles already and am 'at it' for 4 or 5 months , including the 'half' in Limerick, XC (in February ) and 'Fitroom' classes also... No actual injury but extremely fatigued and think the body needs 'repair'....

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Think the time has come to do either no Sunday run or just a very short one. Have dome 3 x 17 miles already and am 'at it' for 4 or 5 months , including the 'half' in Limerick XC (in February ) and 'Fitroom' classes also... No actual injury but extremely fatigued and think the body needs 'repair'....

The boards plan has a step back lsr this week of 14m. I'm actually stepping it back a bit further to 12m. I've done 14.5, 14.5 & 16m the past 3 weeks and I have to do it today (5 days after the 16m) so hence I'm going to reduce it. Also I had physio this morning on a slight niggle (peroneal tendon issue). I think follow the plan but also listen to your body and your intuition too. If skipping it or doing a shorter one is what you feel is best then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

muddypaws wrote: »
    I guess maybe a way to check is to do a route that you know the length of, such as a park run course, and then work out the pace yourself. I felt I was slower last night than previous runs, but apparently not, so I'm not sure how accurate they are.

No, is that the Wicklow one? I did the Galway one a few weeks ago, nice and localish :)

Brilliant I am doing the one in Wicklow with a friend on the 19th, How did it go for you did you enjoy it. I will try that to double check thanks, it was so strange:confused: yet when we finished my average pace was 6.08 and his 6.03 which matched as he was a few paces ahead of me :D
    ariana` wrote: »
    That sounds like a big discrepancy. Good advice from muddy paws.

My friend has a Tom Tom and I have a Garmin. My watch also bleeps for the km before hers does. Say over 8km there's about a 100m discrepancy between them. That's why they're a guide really and PBs only count on Chip time at an AAI race.

It was a strange one indeed as for the most part our watches matched when we hit the next KM mark. On races bar a slight delay between chip time and watch time my watch matches, it's normally seconds in the difference.

I am thinking we should pick one watch to follow, I am hoping that is mine or me as I am slower than him lol

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

The boards plan has a step back lsr this week of 14m. I'm actually stepping it back a bit further to 12m. I've done 14.5, 14.5 & 16m the past 3 weeks and I have to do it today (5 days after the 16m) so hence I'm going to reduce it. Also I had physio this morning on a slight niggle (peroneal tendon issue). I think follow the plan but also listen to your body and your intuition too. If skipping it or doing a shorter one is what you feel is best then go for it.

I'm also feeling pretty knackered this week. However, I think that this is part of the training and the build up of fatigue? Finding that I actually have more energy after my runs than at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Seeing as there is a semi discussion going on with the inaccuracies of watches etc it is probably a good time to reinforce that on the day itself that you should use the official distance markers on the course for your pacing and not you watches.

I know a few on the novices thread last year used pace bands for the marathon.

C

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Seeing as there is a semi discussion going on with the inaccuracies of watches etc it is probably a good time to reinforce that on the day itself that you should use the official distance markers on the course for your pacing and not you watches.

C

Can you explain more about how exactly you use the official distance markers to pace yourself? Or, how to use pace bands?

C
    I used a pace band & the race markers for my half marathon last yr and I found it brilliant.

Quickbeam, the pace band listed each km (or mile) and what the time should be going through to get your goal. So at each marker I just glanced to compare my total time to make sure I was on track. I'm not sure but I guessed this is how they are supposed to be used?? I found it very useful. My target was 2hr 10 min and I finished in 2:09:25 so it served me well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I used a pace band & the race markers for my half marathon last yr and I found it brilliant.

Quickbeam, the pace band listed each km (or mile) and what the time should be going through to get your goal. So at each marker I just glanced to compare my total time to make sure I was on track. I'm not sure but I guessed this is how they are supposed to be used?? I found it very useful. My target was 2hr 10 min and I finished in 2:09:25 so it served me well :)

Was wondering this myself too about the pace bands, thanks for the heads up about that!!

Felt really tired last night after work to do my 3 miles, was only going to do 2 considering I done an extra mile on Wednesday, but I ended up doing the 3 anyways, slower than usual but no complaints!!

12 mile LSR tomorrow for HHN1, miles slowly creeping up! Dragging one of the lads with me, going through the phoenix park so will probably pass a couple of you on here! :D

My legs are really starting to feel it these last couple of weeks. My right knee was sore last week but now thats gone its my left knee instead :confused:

Ariana pretty much has it covered;a €10 digital watch and the distance markers on the course will keep you right if you know your desired pace.

I guess the pace bands just give you that level of comfort on what your pace should be at each mile and is one less thing to calculate in your head.
    Can you explain more about how exactly you use the official distance markers to pace yourself? Or, how to use pace bands?

Look after those knees Damo and good luck with the 12 miles tomorrow....nice to have some company on those runs. The amount of runners in the Phoenix Park is certainly creeping up with DCM training!
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Was wondering this myself too about the pace bands, thanks for the heads up about that!!

Felt really tired last night after work to do my 3 miles, was only going to do 2 considering I done an extra mile on Wednesday, but I ended up doing the 3 anyways, slower than usual but no complaints!!

12 mile LSR tomorrow for HHN1, miles slowly creeping up! Dragging one of the lads with me, going through the phoenix park so will probably pass a couple of you on here! :D

My legs are really starting to feel it these last couple of weeks. My right knee was sore last week but now thats gone its my left knee instead :confused:

Thanks Craig and Ariana. So, the markers just show the distance, not the time, and you're relying on your own timinig to work out pace? I was wondering about that because if you're relying on the time at the marker then you'd have to take in to account what wave you were in, etc, so your way (using your own time) makes a lot more sense than what was in my head :) Will look at something for FD as practise maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Since tuesday Ive worked up 26.8 kms in 3 runs. Going for a 10k (hopefully minimium distance) on sunday. May try reach 14k if Im feeling good.

Really surprised how good Ive felt running considering I was off my feet for 9 days with illness. Hopefully I can tackle a 10 mile run the sunday before the Frank Duffy.

Thanks Craig and Ariana. So, the markers just show the distance, not the time, and you're relying on your own timinig to work out pace? I was wondering about that because if you're relying on the time at the marker then you'd have to take in to account what wave you were in, etc, so your way (using your own time) makes a lot more sense than what was in my head :) Will look at something for FD as practise maybe.

I printed my band from the Asics website last yr then put it round my wrist. It made it so simple. I find my brain gets a bit addled trying to do sums when I'm tired!

+1 to this one less thing to clutter up the mind! The more that you can do to make the day as stress free as possible the better.
    I printed my band from the Asics website last yr then put it round my wrist. It made it so simple. I find my brain gets a bit addled trying to do sums when I'm tired!

Another reason for pacing off the official distance markers is that you will run more than 26.2 miles on the day;so purely using the watch will require a little buffer to hit the desired time.

Anyway good luck with the LSRs at the weekend and if you are in the Phoenix Park at all our paths may cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Another reason for pacing off the official distance markers is that you will run more than 26.2 miles on the day;so purely using the watch will require a little buffer to hit the desired time.

Anyway good luck with the LSRs at the weekend and if you are in the Phoenix Park at all our paths may cross.

Ill have the oul fingal 10k t shirt on with my matching blue and orange ultraboost on, look for a lanky skinny young lad :D

Finally starting to put strava usernames to boards usernames from people posting up there run reports on here then seeing the same distance/pace on strava!

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Finally starting to put strava usernames to boards usernames from people posting up there run reports on here then seeing the same distance/pace on strava!

I've only figured out a handful.

We now have our 100th member on the Strava group!!! Booyah!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think I have about 12/15. Wouldn't it be great if more of the 100 posted on here.

To help you out if you haven't me figured out yet... I just did a 20km (12m) lsr!!
    First time doing it in the evening but it went fine, it actually felt short-ish! Can't believe I just said that :)

To help you out if you haven't me figured out yet... I just did a 20km (12m) lsr!!
    First time doing it in the evening but it went fine, it actually felt short-ish! Can't believe I just said that :)

Quickly goes to check Strava.

Lol!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Whoo hoo well done, :) great it went so well

me too LOL :)

OOH figured out the issues with the watch! :D hubby down loaded an app on to his Garmin as it gave him an finishing time to the pace you're running at, but for some reason, it tells him his pace is 6.30 km pace! but our splits and distance are the same when we compare. I'm happier now he thinks I'm bonkers LOL

We are got out for a run tonight, 6.2 miles @10.02 pace it felt a little hard at the start took me a while to get into it! in hindsight, I think I needed more water but felt great and we covered a little more distance than planned as we ran with another group. when we stopped I got a little cramp in the outside of my foot bit weird LOL still a bit tender now!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm responsible for the 100th - my bestie is going to run DCM too!

I'm currently 7th in the Strava group leader board, might get a nose bleed for being so high up. I will obviously go back down when everyone does their LSRs today but am enjoying being top 10 while it lasts.

I did park run this morning, my legs were very heavy, but my pace was good, running with other people in an atmosphere like that definitely makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Thanks to everyone for the supportive words during the week around doing vs not doing the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

The last 2 miles of that LSR picked me up, chewed me up and spat me out.

• Advertisement

I see a LOT of Phoenix Park on the Strava activity today :) I hope everybody enjoyed themselves!!!

Another question about pacing wristbands for races ... should the times always be spread out evenly over the course of the distance, eg: 10% of your target time for each mile in the FD 10 Mile? Or could you play it a bit more strategically, and based on the last mile being mostly uphill assign, say, 12% of your overall target time to that mile, and then divide the other 88% to the other 9 miles? Or similarly for the HM where the first half is mostly uphill and the second half mostly downhill, would you assign, say, 55% of your time to the first half and 45% of your time to the second half? Or am I hugely just over complicating things??

Advertisement