Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

KM's all the way... miles are too long!

(the good thing about DCM is it has markings for both)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

jameshayes wrote: »
    KM's all the way... miles are too long!

(the good thing about DCM is it has markings for both)

I'm repeating myself here, but anyway - miles may be longer, but there's less of 'em!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DCM17DREAMER

Hi Wuble Wuble
    Many thanks for posting the updates sp sheet.
    is it just me or is 18 weeks a bit short? im just sitting here thinking what if I have a niggle and need to take a few days rest/recover. I had thought that 20-24 weeks might suit me (marathon virgin) better....
    im also thinking of my week in Spain in Aug.... :-)
    or are nerves (at this early stage) just getting the better of me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

All jokes aside - miles or kms makes no difference. Your all about to embark on a journey here that hopefully you will never forget. It's not just about the 26.2 miles (or 42.2km!!) you'll run at the end of this - it's also about the hundreds (yes hundreds!) of miles/kms you'll run in preparation. They say the journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step. Well, when you put on your running shoes and take the first steps of the first run of your training plan, remember the end isn't when you finish that run. The end is when you run up that green carpet to the finish line of DCM 2017. Close your eyes and picture it. Doesn't it feel good? Hold onto that image. Use it when the going gets tough - on those days when you don't feel like training, during those tough session and long runs when you want to give up. Remember if you persevere that there's a big reward waiting for you at the end of this. This isn't going to be easy, but if you make it to end, it's going to be so so worth it.
    Best of luck to all the 2017 novices and good luck Wubble wubble with your mentoring role.

Top tip: Some days you may not feel like running, even though your supposed too. I always find on days like this that I feel differently once I put my running gear on. So just get changed, have another cup of tea or coffee and see if you feel differently about it. If you don't - well your changed now, so you might as well go for a run anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this group!
    I started running in March 2016 with the plan to run the 2016 DCM last October. I trained on my own and followed the Asics training plan.

My first race ever was the Frank Duffy 10mile (1hr38) and I did the half marathon in September (2hr08). The hardest part was doing them on my own!
    Unfortunately the Friday before the DMC I got a sore throats and head cold 😭
    I decided to run anyway but was wrecked after mile 3!!!! I finished well over 5hrs, I don't even know my exact time because I was so disappointed with myself, I feel like a fraud for saying I did it!
    Anyway after the marathon I decided I would have to run it again so last night when I found this group I decided I'll try again this year!!

Since Christmas I've been running 5 miles 2/3 times a week and trying to do Shaun Ts T25 video on alternating days.
    I remember last year I started my training in March for the marathon so I'm wondering if I have done enough exercise so far this year? Am I kidding myself that I'll be ready for October?
    I would absolutely love to finish it in 4hrs but I would be delighted with 4:30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Not to jump on Wubbles toes here but the plans are tailored for getting you to the marathon and through it in one piece you will be well prepared come the end of October.

If you can build up to 4 runs a week about 20-25 miles total per week before the plans start you will be in good shape from the get go. The more experienced folks can maybe confirm this

It is daunting but trust in the plans and soak up the advice that will come you way over the coming months.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    Can I join in, even if I'm only a maybe (and a doubtful maybe at that) for actually running the marathon?

I gotta say I'm loving the support on this thread already. The above is from my OP and the encouragment and advice and excitement that the thread has generated means that in less than a week I'm removing the "doubtful maybe" from my introduction :) I'm still a "maybe" at about 50/50 for actually taking part, but that's up from about 10/90 against taking part 5 short days ago, so thanks everybody!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Better late than never!

I'm Supercell, I've been running on and off for the last 12 years or so with a major off period of the last 10 years after I tore an achilles running around the Vartry lakes in Roundwood. I remember the moment vividly, like someone hit my heel with a hammer and all of a sudden i couldn't lift my foot at the ankle.
    It took a long time to recover from that, years, but life goes on and I took up running again about 7 years later until the first baby arrived 5 years ago. Third baby arrived and took it up last year again. I hurt the sam achilles again last Christmas but this time had been very aware of it so stopped running totally and it was just two months out instead of many years, before I could run again. Drops,raises, grass running and core work have kept it at bay since then and I was delighted to complete the Limerick Half last month which in December seemed an impossible dream.

I have always loved running, this time I hope I'm doing it right, perhaps being older has lead to a more cautious and sensible approach to injury prevention. I can run DCM, my goal is to run until I sub three...and then drop to lower distances in my advancing years.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 22:23 April 2017, training run
    10k 46:20 April 2017, training run
    Half Marathon - Limerick Great Run 1:43:44 (not really raced, ran to finish, first half)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    4 runs a week with never more than two in a row. This is mainly aimed at injury prevention which I have been plagued with in the past and touch wood, is working well so far. Ramping up to DCM, last week was 29 miles, peak of plan is several weeks around the 40 mile mark.
    Core,knee strength training on off days at least once a week (bodyweight as gym training is expensive and boring).

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

My ego says 3:30 is doable, time will tell. Truth be told I'll be happy enough to finish and under 4 hours. How the training goes and injury may well influence this!

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I am training 4 days a week with the long term aim , post DCM, of upping that to 5 or more as a decent base level fitness is achieved. The plan I'm using is based loosely around Hal Higdon and My Asics online plans. Three slow runs with some strides depending on how my knees feel, one ball buster run midweek, depending on how knees/achilles feels at the time. Mainly want to build a decent distance base for future races.

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because I've admired the distance for a while and slightly fear it and its time to man up and see if I have the discipline to do it. I love the idea of being able to run this distance. I recall about 15 years ago when waiting at the DART crossing on the Rock Road in my car, I saw a chap jogging and he literally looked like he was floating on air it was so effortless. The image stuck in my mind, there isn't a day running I don't think about his form and wonder if I look like that yet, certainly I don't feel like it - yet!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

How flexible are the plans? Can I move the runs around in the week so long as I still do three easies and LSR? Having the LSR on the Saturday probably would suit most people, but if I'd rather do mine mid-week and and keep one of the easies for my 5km Parkrun, would that be okay? Weeks where one of the race series are on would obviously need to be per the plan.

Also, those who will use kilometres (as I'd like to) - will you be rounding up and down to the nearest kilometre, or sticking to the exact conversion - eg, 3 mile is 4.8km - would it be okay to run 5km instead? Some runs then it could mean running a little less if the rounding means down. Once the overall total distance for the week is achieved would that be okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

How flexible are the plans? Can I move the runs around in the week so long as I still do three easies and LSR? Having the LSR on the Saturday probably would suit most people, but if I'd rather do mine mid-week and and keep one of the easies for my 5km Parkrun, would that be okay? Weeks where one of the race series are on would obviously need to be per the plan.

Also, those who will use kilometres (as I'd like to) - will you be rounding up and down to the nearest kilometre, or sticking to the exact conversion - eg, 3 mile is 4.8km - would it be okay to run 5km instead? Some runs then it could mean running a little less if the rounding means down. Once the overall total distance for the week is achieved would that be okay?

Will be doing the same myself - Parkruns with a mid week LSR, rounding to KMs :)

Edit: Plus the smaller recommended runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

muddypaws wrote: »
    5k - Tymon Park Parkrun 29:26
    5 Mile - Doing the Fountain Five in Forest of Dean in England next week
    10k - Searlait Tywang memorial run 14/05/17 1:07:55

Not usually

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Usually 4 days a week. One sessions of hills, one interval session usually around 7km, one LSR, although not that long in the great scheme of things, 9 miles being the longest then Park Run every Saturday. I also cycle

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    My 5km time hasn't improved as I wished or expected it to, so at the moment I don't have a specified time

I can train 7 days a week if necessary, being a self employed dog trainer, so far all of my running has been with a dog, that will have to change during the summer and when the distances increase. Will follow the boards plan

My Dad always ran, he was still running daily, just a mile or so each day up until the day he was taken ill and given a terminal diagnosis. I wish that I had had the chance to run with him, and as he was a very proud Dub, I think he would have loved it to see me do the DCM. Having lost my son last year, the plan started to form, as getting up and going out running helped me hugely, so combining the two. My son hated running, even though I tried getting him out when he had left school and couldn't find any work, to try and get some kind of routine going, but he wouldn't entertain the idea at all, so I like the irony of that as well, and I think he would have found it funny.

As my 5km time hasn't improved, I'm not sure I will make DCM2017, will see how I get on, but might need to push it back to 2018. However, I did a tough 10K in Castlecomer yesterday, lots of hills and was happy with my time, so maybe 2017 will work out.

Hi muddypaws,

A belated welcome to the thread!

Running with a dog isn't easy! Especially when they're in no mood to come with you :) so the value of those miles is probably greater as naturally going without should be easier as you progress.

In relation to your later query regarding running on holiday. It's great if you can do it, even two or three short to medium runs and a shortened version of the LSR (or whatever time allows) could be enough if you've done well on the other weeks. Just remember not to chase the miles the following week. One of last year's novices tried running on a cruise ship; 20 miles of that proved to be a bridge too far.

Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hi muddypaws,

A belated welcome to the thread!

Running with a dog isn't easy! Especially when they're in no mood to come with you :) so the value of those miles is probably greater as naturally going without should be easier as you progress.

In relation to your later query regarding running on holiday. It's great if you can do it, even two or three short to medium runs and a shortened version of the LSR (or whatever time allows) could be enough if you've done well on the other weeks. Just remember not to chase the miles the following week. One of last year's novices tried running on a cruise ship; 20 miles of that proved to be a bridge too far.

Thank you

I did check both ferries to see if either had a gym, but unfortunately they don't. Doing an LSR on a treadmill would have killed a nice few hours on a 17 hour crossing.

Hi everyone,

I would also like to join in this year. Although I did already complete the DCM back in 2015, I still feel very much like a novice, having not managed to keep up running during 2016. 2017 has been a fresh start for me – I have been steadily building up mileage since February and I am absolutely loving it!! I didn’t realise just how much I missed running until I came back to it.

Back in 2015 I just followed the HH plan on my own and luckily made it across the finish line. This time around, I’m doing things differently - I’d like to join in the community and get to know some fellow runners. Thanks to Wubble Wubble for organizing this and hope you guys don’t mind me joining in J

Dublin Race Series Half Marathon 2015 - 2h:12m

DCM Marathon 2015 – 4h:45m
    5K Parkrun 8th April 2017 - 27m:31s

Battle of Clontarf 10 Mile 17th April 2017 – 1h:33m:40s

No

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

4/5 runs per week including a long run at the weekend, all done at an easy pace but starting to introduce one or two tempo runs per week also. I also do crossfit 2/3 times a week, but try to combine the gym with days where I do shorter easy runs. I am signed up for the Clontarf Half marathon in July so I’m increasing my mileage steadily for that and all going well so far
    J

Dream time would be 4:20:00, but honestly I’m just delighted to be back running so once I cross the finish line I’ll be happy
    J

I’ve been managing 4-6 runs per week for the last while so I’d like to give the boards plan a try this time around. Might need to alter the plan slightly as I am getting married in September and going on honeymoon afterwards for 10 days.

After completing DCM in 2015 I knew I would like to run another marathon. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to train consistently last year, with a busy year in work, and buying and moving into our first home, but things have calmed down this year and I feel like I’m a great position and ready for the challenge. Having also lost a close friend to cancer last year, I recognize and am thankful that I’m fit and healthy, and should be out doing the things that I enjoy while I can as life is just too short!!

Hi aine_fainne,

Welcome on board! You are of course allowed join in here :)

Fair play on fitting in the tempo runs; it's something I still find great difficulty with. It should be a great help to you over the next few months.

You have a great attitude to your very busy life. If you can transfer that to your training, DCM 2017 should be no bother to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

One of last year's novices tried running on a cruise ship; 20 miles of that proved to be a bridge too far.

That's crazy! Who in their right mind would try that? :D

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad I found this group!
    I started running in March 2016 with the plan to run the 2016 DCM last October. I trained on my own and followed the Asics training plan.

My first race ever was the Frank Duffy 10mile (1hr38) and I did the half marathon in September (2hr08). The hardest part was doing them on my own!
    Unfortunately the Friday before the DMC I got a sore throats and head cold 😭
    I decided to run anyway but was wrecked after mile 3!!!! I finished well over 5hrs, I don't even know my exact time because I was so disappointed with myself, I feel like a fraud for saying I did it!
    Anyway after the marathon I decided I would have to run it again so last night when I found this group I decided I'll try again this year!!

Since Christmas I've been running 5 miles 2/3 times a week and trying to do Shaun Ts T25 video on alternating days.
    I remember last year I started my training in March for the marathon so I'm wondering if I have done enough exercise so far this year? Am I kidding myself that I'll be ready for October?
    I would absolutely love to finish it in 4hrs but I would be delighted with 4:30!

Hi BrownEyes79,

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear last year's race day experiences haven't deterred you from coming back for more :) still and all, I wouldn't recommend running a marathon with a sore throat and head cold. Last year I was ill for a lot of the week before and only "recovered" from that a couple of days before the race. I would still maintain that it affected my performance on the day.

Not kidding yourself at all, hopefully a bit more structure on your training will help you improve. Any thoughts on the HH vs. Boards plan debate? :)
    Thanks for joining up, best of luck!

Supercell wrote: »
    Better late than never!

I'm Supercell, I've been running on and off for the last 12 years or so with a major off period of the last 10 years after I tore an achilles running around the Vartry lakes in Roundwood. I remember the moment vividly, like someone hit my heel with a hammer and all of a sudden i couldn't lift my foot at the ankle.
    It took a long time to recover from that, years, but life goes on and I took up running again about 7 years later until the first baby arrived 5 years ago. Third baby arrived and took it up last year again. I hurt the sam achilles again last Christmas but this time had been very aware of it so stopped running totally and it was just two months out instead of many years, before I could run again. Drops,raises, grass running and core work have kept it at bay since then and I was delighted to complete the Limerick Half last month which in December seemed an impossible dream.

I have always loved running, this time I hope I'm doing it right, perhaps being older has lead to a more cautious and sensible approach to injury prevention. I can run DCM, my goal is to run until I sub three...and then drop to lower distances in my advancing years.

5k 22:23 April 2017, training run
    10k 46:20 April 2017, training run
    Half Marathon - Limerick Great Run 1:43:44 (not really raced, ran to finish, first half)

No

4 runs a week with never more than two in a row. This is mainly aimed at injury prevention which I have been plagued with in the past and touch wood, is working well so far. Ramping up to DCM, last week was 29 miles, peak of plan is several weeks around the 40 mile mark.
    Core,knee strength training on off days at least once a week (bodyweight as gym training is expensive and boring).

My ego says 3:30 is doable, time will tell. Truth be told I'll be happy enough to finish and under 4 hours. How the training goes and injury may well influence this!

I am training 4 days a week with the long term aim , post DCM, of upping that to 5 or more as a decent base level fitness is achieved. The plan I'm using is based loosely around Hal Higdon and My Asics online plans. Three slow runs with some strides depending on how my knees feel, one ball buster run midweek, depending on how knees/achilles feels at the time. Mainly want to build a decent distance base for future races.

Because I've admired the distance for a while and slightly fear it and its time to man up and see if I have the discipline to do it. I love the idea of being able to run this distance. I recall about 15 years ago when waiting at the DART crossing on the Rock Road in my car, I saw a chap jogging and he literally looked like he was floating on air it was so effortless. The image stuck in my mind, there isn't a day running I don't think about his form and wonder if I look like that yet, certainly I don't feel like it - yet!

Hi Supercell,

Welcome! I think I remember you from previous Novices threads?

Some very impressive times there (from this year too). There's always a bit of fear involved with something like this. Ah sure yer man runs them for fun? How could I even do one? Of course you can do it, but it does take a lot of hours and a bit of pain along the way, However that finishing feeling is worth it! I've said it before here and I'm sure I will again, many many times over :D

The Boards plan peaks in the low 40s, so that seems like the best way to go for you, if you can devote the time and energy to it.
    Thanks for signing up, best of luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Plans are useless but planning is indispensable

Plans are flexible. Nobody ever executes a plan perfectly. That's fine - life gets in the way, as do niggles, injuries and other motivational woes. For a first marathon, it's often the case that it'll be the most intense training that you have ever done. This means you will need to balance the impact on your personal life and body with ever increasing milage requirements per a marathon training plan. Even for even the most committed marathon novice, there'll need to be some compromises made to allow for real life, niggles, etc. This means that you will need to adapt the plan - so, what are the most important parts of any marathon training plan? Firstly, milage. The more miles (or kilometres ;) ) you do, the more prepared you are for the marathon. There are no short-cuts. Secondly, the long run - regular long runs are crucial to training your body for a marathon. It's ok to miss one or two, or reschedule some as suits, but they're the most important individual training runs you will do.

By all means play around with your runs to suit certain distances as specified in a plan, but do try to think of the purpose of each run as you're heading out. Does it matter if you do 5 miles instead of 4 miles in a mid-week easy paced run, or if you do your long runs in the middle of the week? Not at all. But do try to keep in mind the structure and purpose of the runs in the plan you're following. If you're not sure... here's a great place to ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice before starting last year, it would have been to begin strengthening my core before Marathon training and to see a physio beforehand to check for any weaknesses that needed addressing as these are what will potentially end up causing some injury or forcing you to quit if let go for too long.
    The most common seems to be weak glutes or hip abducters which could end up causing shin pain or the dreaded ITB as your mileage increases. Addressing these potential weaknesses now will save you a lot of pain and heartache later.

positron wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate at all - each to their own. :o

Having said that, I grew up listening to elders refering distances in yards, furlongs, miles etc but often folks also say places where X amount of time away - and no they didn't use hours/minutes either. They would use nazhika (24 minutes), vinazhika (24 seconds), and nazhi/para to measure volumes. My grandma had a weight measuring stick - that's right, a stick, with detailed markings etc - there was some sort of math to go with it, which I shoud try and dig out (note to self). Height was in inches and weight was in kilos! Finally when I got to school/university, it was all metric - meters, seconds, kilograms! - And I thought that was it, I had everything right in my head, people are 1-2 meters tall, places are 10s to 1000s of kilometers away - world made sense.

Oh no... I then moved here to Ireland and found that miles are still in use. And Stones. Wait, what now, Stones? What's a stone? 6.34 kilos? That's 14 pounds. Pounds? Not pebbles? So 7 pounds is half a stone, and 3.5 pounds is a quarter stone? Oh no, a Quarter is 2 stones? Why? So what's 8 stones?.. Actually I still don't know. Eventually I got used to miles again - by constantly doing the mental arithmetic that a mile is 1.6 kms, and speeds are in miles per hour, okay I am getting used to this. Oh wait, now the country is switching everything to kilometers. Speed signs are in kilometers/hour now. But people talk in miles. Places are still X miles away. Cars/bikes shows kilometers now. And there are new speedlimits (30 kmph) that never had a mile/hour equivalent in my head. And as soon as you go north of the border everything goes back to miles again.

This is when I realised - I sure am getting old and grumpy - and soon going to get stuck in my ways - and if I am going to get stuck with a system of units in my head for rest of my life... I would rather it be metric system. Multiples of tens - easier to understand when dementia sets in.. :o Except for pints of course - that's exactly the right measure. :D

No doube majority here would have no reason to consider kilometers, so I wouldn't suggest anyone switching to kms at all, I think I will convert my figures to miles for this thread.

Great post, I got a good laugh out of this :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

tony1980 wrote: »
    If I could go back and give myself one piece of advice before starting last year, it would have been to begin strengthening my core before Marathon training and to see a physio beforehand to check for any weaknesses that needed addressing as these are what will potentially end up causing some injury or forcing you to quit if let go for too long.
    The most common seems to be weak glutes or hip abducters which could end up causing shin pain or the dreaded ITB as your mileage increases. Addressing these potential weaknesses now will save you a lot of pain and heartache later.

Can't underestimate the importance of mixing hour training up....try and commit to at least one circuit class a week along with exercises at home and if possible a spinning class too.
    The legs are going to carry you and the core is going to support you,, so let a couple of classes encourage you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

ariana` wrote: »
    muddypaws wrote: »

I see someone else is going to start the plan a week early, should I consider doing the same to make up for that week, or just rejig the programme for a few weeks before, so maybe I do my long run on the Thursday each week from the start of September?

It's me who's planning to start a week early so i can have an "off-plan but still running" week in August.

I'll be interested to hear Wubble Wubble and other experienced marathoners opinions on doing that?

For me i just don't want the pressure of trying to fit in the runs when i'm on hols - it wouldn't be fair on the rest of the family (that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it :P).
    I am also interested to hear the advice on this as we booked our honeymoon months ago when running the marathon was the last thing I was considering!! We will be away from the 27th of September to the 7th of Oct which is at the peak of the training plan :O but I'm hoping I can still figure this out, and for me it's just about making it around on the day itself, no matter what time it takes me :)
    Considering I'm training for the Clontarf Half at the moment anyway, I was maybe gonna start the plan a week or two earlier, still do some running while we are away but reduce the mileage, and then push the long run scheduled for the weekend we get home out to the Monday. Appreciate some advice from those more experienced marathoners on this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

Hey DCM novices 2017, I took part in this thread last year but it was a DNS for me (two years in a row!) Just want to say good luck guys, listen to the advice you receive, listen to your body, things can happen that's out of your control. So go with the flow and enjoys yourselves. Happy running.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I am also interested to hear the advice on this as we booked our honeymoon months ago when running the marathon was the last thing I was considering!! We will be away from the 27th of September to the 7th of Oct which is at the peak of the training plan but I'm hoping I can still figure this out, and for me it's just about making it around on the day itself, no matter what time it takes me Considering I'm training for the Clontarf Half at the moment anyway, I was maybe gonna start the plan a week or two earlier, still do some running while we are away but reduce the mileage, and then push the long run scheduled for the weekend we get home out to the Monday. Appreciate some advice from those more experienced marathoners on this

I'm also going to be away on honeymoon from 1 Sept to 22 Sept. That's 3 Saturdays of LSRs to adapt. Months ago when I was thinking of doing the DCM, I asked for advice on adjusting my training to take this into account. I'm not aiming for any time, just want to stick to a training schedule as much as I can and complete the marathon.
    So I've started very slowly increasing my weekend distances now, and have decided to follow the HHN2 plan. It builds up more long runs than HHN1 (which I followed last time) but I'm giving myself plenty of extra time early on to build. While I'm away, I know I'll be able to keep a few short midweek runs going (my partner is happy to run with me) & I'm aiming to do about 10m LSRs those weekends.

But far more importantly, where are you going on honeymoon? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

I am also interested to hear the advice on this as we booked our honeymoon months ago when running the marathon was the last thing I was considering!! We will be away from the 27th of September to the 7th of Oct which is at the peak of the training plan but I'm hoping I can still figure this out, and for me it's just about making it around on the day itself, no matter what time it takes me Considering I'm training for the Clontarf Half at the moment anyway, I was maybe gonna start the plan a week or two earlier, still do some running while we are away but reduce the mileage, and then push the long run scheduled for the weekend we get home out to the Monday. Appreciate some advice from those more experienced marathoners on this

I'm also going to be away on honeymoon from 1 Sept to 22 Sept. That's 3 Saturdays of LSRs to adapt. Months ago when I was thinking of doing the DCM,  I asked for advice on adjusting my training to take this into account. I'm not aiming for any time, just want to stick to a training schedule as much as I can and complete the marathon.
    So I've started very slowly increasing my weekend distances now, and have decided to follow the HHN2 plan. It builds up more long runs than HHN1 (which I followed last time) but I'm giving myself plenty of extra time early on to build. While I'm away, I know I'll be able to keep a few short midweek runs going (my partner is happy to run with me) & I'm aiming to do about 10m LSRs those weekends.

But far more importantly, where are you going on honeymoon? :D
    Hi shortie_chik,
    great to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me :) as you say, it's about completing the marathon on the day regardless of the time. We are off to Mauritius for a very relaxing all-inclusive sun holiday - can't wait for it now!! The hotel we have booked has a gym so I reckon I can just plod out a few runs on the treadmill there - it'll help undo the damage from all the food we'll end up eating!! There's loads of other activities as well so hopefully that will keep me active enough. How about yourself - where are you guys off to? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Room for another one to join? :) I've been running on and off for a few years but made a New Years resolution to get back in properly this year. And for the first time in years I stuck to it!! By mid April I was up to about 10miles but with weddings and holidays since then I've lost a bit of that stamina. Back on form though this week and running 3 miles Monday, 5 miles today, have planned parkrun on Saturday (3 miles) and then 6.5mile lsr on Sunday.

Had a look through wubble wubble's plan and looks great, thanks a mil! Should I just maintain my distances for now until that plan starts at the end of June? Up to April I was adding a km a week to my long run so if I continued that it would put me way off wubbles plan by the time I start.

Haven't yet signed up for DCM, think I'm still hedging my bets :o big commitment to make! I'm lucky in that I have both of my parents there as running buddies. They've both done the DCM (my dad is a club runner and has done it 15/16 times I think) so both are well versed on the prep required. Still, very nervous about entering! When does entry close?

Hi Supercell,

Welcome! I think I remember you from previous Novices threads?

Some very impressive times there (from this year too). There's always a bit of fear involved with something like this. Ah sure yer man runs them for fun? How could I even do one? Of course you can do it, but it does take a lot of hours and a bit of pain along the way, However that finishing feeling is worth it! I've said it before here and I'm sure I will again, many many times over :D

The Boards plan peaks in the low 40s, so that seems like the best way to go for you, if you can devote the time and energy to it.
    Thanks for signing up, best of luck !

Cheers Wubble, I've been in and out of the athletics forum over the years, bit like injuries and my running really. This is my first serious attempt at marathon training though, have never started one before nevermind a DNF.

The Strava group is a great idea, thanks to whoever set that up, definitely will help to gauge if I'm in the right neighbourhood with my training as the weeks go by.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

At what speed should a lsr be? in comparison to 5k,10k or aspirational finishing time? I think 3.45 or certainly3'50 should be attainable for me.... I'll be away for a week in September too but hopefully I can get at least one, maybe 2 good runs in while 'gone' :) Fitness isn't lost that quickly if one has it :)

Once I got used to properly slowing down for lsr's, I done mine at about 10.30 miles, I done a sub 4 marathon, just! So my Marathon pace was 9.10 miles or just under to just come in under 4 hours so my lsr's were about 1.20 to 1.30 per mile slower than PMP. I think that was about right, the long runs always felt very comfortable pace wise then.

Edit: Some of you may feel like you are barely moving when properly doing an lsr pace, I know there was a lot of us that found it hard to get used to but trust the plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

I am taking plans like speed limits. They are guidelines not target etc. After all we are all different and 10k might be a walk in the park to you but two days of agony to me. My plan is to follow the plan IF my body is happy. If not, so be it. For instance I have never done three consecutive runs, so I would delay the third run if I dont feel fully recovered from second.

I loosely rounded them to the nearest integer, mostly up but sometimes down as well.

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    At what speed should a lsr be? in comparison to 5k,10k or aspirational finishing time? I think 3.45 or certainly3'50 should be attainable for me.... I'll be away for a week in September too but hopefully I can get at least one, maybe 2 good runs in while 'gone' :) Fitness isn't lost that quickly if one has it :)

I found this online calculator to be reasonable for calculating your LSR (easy) pace - http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm
    Personally find it a little conservative, it feels a bit too slow, but certainly would get the job done with low injury risk.

Advertisement