Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    If of any help to the novices and no science behind it I'm a novice from 2015 I was aiming for the 4.30 time so my runs did bring me to the 4 hour mark. I think for while I felt it was time on my feet it was also good for my head to know that I could stay on my feet for that time. As they say round these parts trust in the plan and stick to the plan. I followed Dave carries plan from Irish runner magazine which also brings you to 22 miles on your longest run. Again there was a lot of discussion around the benefits of this but for me it's as much a head game thing as anything else as your mind will be tested as much as your body on the day. I'm no expert but I think for novice marathon runners who are building up that base you need to do that 4 hours on your feet. Anyway it stood me well on the day crossing the line at 4.31. Trust in your plan and it will get you there. We are all here to prove it. Good luck in your last few weeks of long runs :)

+1 to this
    Any novice/first marathon plans I've seen include the long runs.... most of us here are at the slower end of the spectrum (4 hours +) so it's impossible to keep to the '3 hour rule' if doing the long run at the right (slow) pace. So while El Caballo might be right about the physiological benefits, it's not all about that for a first marathon. It's about training yourself for the distance.

The idea of attempting a first marathon without having done as many of the long runs as possible on the plan seems mad to me. As a novice, I did HH1, a very basic plan but enough to get me round and appropriate for the amount of running I had under my belt.

My second time out, I did the meno plan (from boards) which had 2 x 22 milers (i think i only did one) and lots of 18-20 mile runs.... i was much stronger and more prepared going into the marathon after that.

As Mrs Mc says, the psychological benefit of knowing you can run 20 miles in training, or 22 miles... is huge. And you'll need all the psychological benefits you can get on the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Good to see lots of debate and discussion around the matter (even if it might confuse plenty of us with conflicting standpoints)

With regards El C s point I would probably say rather than diminished returns regarding aerobic development that you will see the risk reward ratio invert (risk of injury can increase more in that last 30-60 min than doing an extra run during the week or that)

Intensity is not the only issue as well, in newer marathon runners muscle endurance in hips, gluten and calves hasn't fully built up yet and these will effect form no matter what pace - what is sometimes described as the marathon plod (irrespective of pace)

For novices ask yourself the following questions to decide whether longer Long runs are for you;

Have you been consistent in your training?
    Do you have a history of niggles and injuries?
    Would you consider yourself a confident person? (Some runners will need the confidence of being close to race distance)

Personally I think for your first few marathons probably not necessary and shorter steady runs (about 75% of current long run)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I need to do some research on this to get it right and might put a feeler out to Testostercone for some help with this.

For now - lets follow the plan as is.

My thoughts would be that if we were setting out a plan so the longest runs would max out at 3 hours, then there would be another longish run on the preceding day to mimic the fatigue effect - but I need to verify that.

As our plan is set out, lets follow it as laid down - it hasn't hurt previous Novices (that I'm aware of :) )

that means running longer than 3 hours, so prepare for it well.
    El Caballo wrote: »
    The 3 hour long run rule does hold water. There is an issue when it comes to novice runners in that regard in that many people who enter the marathon are starting from scratch or a low level of base fitness which is not ideal to be honest but is the way things are so you have to work around these things in that situation.

The reason behind this 3 hour run is that aerobic benefits fall off a cliff around the 2:30-3 hour mark. The goal of the long run is to build aerobic endurance through strengthening of the heart, improving mitochondrial density and building new capillaries all of which help with oxygen transport between the lungs, heart and muscles. With everything else in life, there comes a point of diminishing returns where your body simply can't absorb the training as well anymore and the risks start to outweigh the benefits. Let's look at this way, say you have a runner who is doing their long run at 7 min/mile easy pace for 20 miles, that works out at 2 hours and 20 minutes. Then you have a runner who is doing their long runs at 11 min/mile easy pace for 20 miles, that works out at 3 hours and 40 minutes. Who has the higher intensity here? The person who is running 11 minute miles so effectively the person with the lower level of aerobic fitness has a harder run and thus a higher level of injury risk all other things being equal. That last bit is a little off topic from the OP but just trying to get a point across. The 20 Mile run is one that is steeped in folklore from the days of the 70's and 80's when there really wasn't too many novices running marathons and is something passed down to now even though times have changed.

Many elites will run for 2:30- 3 hours in training but they will cover something close to 30 miles in that time, you might see some sub elites cover 25-26 in training and your 3 hour runner might get 22 down in that time because they still get good benefit up to that point. It has being shown that a 2:30 run will almost give you the same benefits as a 3:45 run but the risk of injury is much greater in the 3:45 run as the muscles/form breaks down and this will generally be a bigger issue for novices as the will generally be structurely weaker than experienced runners. Many novices will be running a harder long run than seriously quick marathon runners and that will cause a double whammy effect because they are aerobically weaker thus won't recover as quickly from a 3 hour run never mind a 4 hour run.

This is the general science to it but obviously there is the psychological benefit of covering a decent chunk of the race distance in training even if physiologically, maybe there isn't much to be gained. There is probably a few counters to this through raising midweek mileage(I cannot state just how important this is to running a good marathon), back to back weekend runs to stimulate fatigue like ultrarunner do and alternating a longish steady run with the long run biweekly would be a few things I think could benefit a novice. It's a tricky one for sure and probably deserves a decent debate on the pros/cons of the current way vs some other approaches that may work.
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    If of any help to the novices and no science behind it I'm a novice from 2015 I was aiming for the 4.30 time so my runs did bring me to the 4 hour mark. I think for while I felt it was time on my feet it was also good for my head to know that I could stay on my feet for that time. As they say round these parts trust in the plan and stick to the plan. I followed Dave carries plan from Irish runner magazine which also brings you to 22 miles on your longest run. Again there was a lot of discussion around the benefits of this but for me it's as much a head game thing as anything else as your mind will be tested as much as your body on the day. I'm no expert but I think for novice marathon runners who are building up that base you need to do that 4 hours on your feet. Anyway it stood me well on the day crossing the line at 4.31. Trust in your plan and it will get you there. We are all here to prove it. Good luck in your last few weeks of long runs :)
    annapr wrote: »
    +1 to this
    Any novice/first marathon plans I've seen include the long runs.... most of us here are at the slower end of the spectrum (4 hours +) so it's impossible to keep to the '3 hour rule' if doing the long run at the right (slow) pace. So while El Caballo might be right about the physiological benefits, it's not all about that for a first marathon. It's about training yourself for the distance.

The idea of attempting a first marathon without having done as many of the long runs as possible on the plan seems mad to me. As a novice, I did HH1, a very basic plan but enough to get me round and appropriate for the amount of running I had under my belt.

My second time out, I did the meno plan (from boards) which had 2 x 22 milers (i think i only did one) and lots of 18-20 mile runs.... i was much stronger and more prepared going into the marathon after that.

As Mrs Mc says, the psychological benefit of knowing you can run 20 miles in training, or 22 miles... is huge. And you'll need all the psychological benefits you can get on the day :)

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. It's great to hear from you folks who have followed the plans previously. I find the science stuff really interesting, must be the geek in me :o but all the replies point to the psychological benefit of having run 20 miles especially for a 1st marathon and i've said it myself on this thread previously that i can't imagine not going out on d-day knowing that i can at least run 20 miles! As it is 6 miles still seems like a leap but i know i'll be more rested after tapering and the excitement/adrenalin of the day and support of the crowd will help with that 6 miles. I ran a half marathon having only run 11m and the last 2m didn't bother me so i feel 20-26m is comparable-ish :cool: but i wouldn't like to have any less than 20 done for this time anyhow.

I've given up trying - I cant even figure out what gender some of you are!

LOL this gave me a giggle :pac:

I've only paired up 3 people and 2 of those aren't even novices :o :pac: but i have figured out the gender of everyone... or at least i think i have :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    LOL this gave me a giggle :pac:

I've only paired up 3 people and 2 of those aren't even novices :o :pac: but i have figured out the gender of everyone... or at least i think i have :D :eek:

I will make it easy LOL I am Niamh on Strava :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    As for Strava, I suppose if ya dont know who I am by now then you may as well give up looking :pac: Apart from Skyblue and 1 or 2 others I dont have a clue who anyone else at all is. Would love to meet up for a run one of the days maybe in the park etc for a boardsies session, I know it was done before for the previous Novice groups! Put some faces to names before the big days if people havent met at races already!

I'd love that too ... in theory. In practise I don't think there's anybody at my level that I could run with. Will have to make do with meeting everybody in the pub post marathon instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. It's great to hear from you folks who have followed the plans previously. I find the science stuff really interesting, must be the geek in me :o but all the replies point to the psychological benefit of having run 20 miles especially for a 1st marathon and i've said it myself on this thread previously that i can't imagine not going out on d-day knowing that i can at least run 20 miles! As it is 6 miles still seems like a leap but i know i'll be more rested after tapering and the excitement/adrenalin of the day and support of the crowd will help with that 6 miles. I ran a half marathon having only run 11m and the last 2m didn't bother me so i feel 20-26m is comparable-ish :cool: but i wouldn't like to have any less than 20 done for this time anyhow.

You dont need to have run 20 miles before your first marathon.

My first year (and only year), I didnt train on a plan. I was fairly fit from football so I had a great baseline fitness (was very used to running 10ks too).

I only ever ran 22km a couple of times in the run up after advice from a guy in my job. He always said Id be grand on the day considering my fitness. From reading on here that doesnt seem to be great advice but it served me grand on the day as I ran it in under 4 hours. So its possible not to run 20 miles in training and still complete the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

beakerjoe wrote: »

My first year (and only year), I didnt train on a plan. I was fairly fit from football so I had a great baseline fitness (was very used to running 10ks too).

I only ever ran 22km a couple of times in the run up after advice from a guy in my job. He always said Id be grand on the day considering my fitness. From reading on here that doesnt seem to be great advice but it served me grand on the day as I ran it in under 4 hours. So its possible not to run 20 miles in training and still complete the marathon.

I guess everyone is different in body and mind - I also had some level of fitness from football and I'm hoping to be around 4hrs but I will definitely be doing at least 1 20m run so I know I am able for it and can get through the last 6m on the day even if I have to crawl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Baby75 wrote: »
    yes there is food alternatives Jellies , dried apricots or or you can make yourself a drink Isotonic or hypertonic to do the same thing, I am trying to avoid gels and try other options myself my tummy is a bit sensitive.
    here some recipes for making the drinks.

Isotonic =
    5ooml orange or apple juice
    500ml of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

Hypertonic =
    400ml of orange or apple juice
    1 liter of water
    1/4 teaspoon of salt

I am studying sports nutrition and we have covered nutrient timing but are looking more in to it on Thursday so I let you know after the class :)

Thinking of preparing this for after FD10. Is the juice meant to be anything special, or is any bog standard "made from concentrate" juice from the supermarket okay?

I've no doubt it's possible and you are proof of that and i am sure there are many others who've done it too... but that doesn't mean it's the best option for me right now or for many others. Horses for courses and all that :)

I wouldn't be very confident or young or of natural athletic ability (i could go on but i'd only depress myself :pac::pac::pac:) so for me i would like to line up on d-day with the confidence that i can at least run 20m.

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I guess everyone is different in body and mind - I also had some level of fitness from football and I'm hoping to be around 4hrs but I will definitely be doing at least 1 20m run so I know I am able for it and can get through the last 6m on the day even if I have to crawl

Well I did my marathon in 2012 and this year Im following the boards plan (though Im behind on that by a couple of weeks). Im not as fit as I was 5 years ago by a long strech but by following the boards plan Im hoping to be under 4 hours. Ill be doing at least 1 20 miler myself.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd love that too ... in theory. In practise I don't think there's anybody at my level that I could run with. Will have to make do with meeting everybody in the pub post marathon instead.

I'd run with you but i'm not dublin based :(

I've no doubt it's possible and you are proof of that and i am sure there are many others who've done it too... but that doesn't mean it's the best option for me right now or for many others. Horses for courses and all that :)

I wouldn't be very confident or young or of natural athletic ability (i could go on but i'd only depress myself :pac::pac::pac:) so for me i would like to line up on d-day with the confidence that i can at least run 20m.

Listen its not the best option for me this time around, maybe 5 years ago it worked but I have no doubt that a similar approach this time around would be an awful idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

You don't really need to run 20 miles to just finish the marathon. A lot of people would probably get around the marathon after a long training run of 13 miles, but I doubt that you will reach your full potential that way. You only really get out what you put in, i'd say if your goal is to just finish a marathon then running 20 miles in training is probably unnecessary. My own goal is to not fade in the final 10k , I'm hoping to run it as a progression as I find these runs the most enjoyable , passing people at speed that have started faster than me is strangely satisfying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Someone more knowledgeable than myself told me a very accurate predictor of marathon time is multiplying your 10mile time by 3. I'll be taking this into consideration running at the weekend.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself told me a very accurate predictor of marathon time is multiplying your 10mile time by 3. I'll be taking this into consideration running at the weekend.

That's a new one, thanks.

I've heard to multiply your HM time by 2 and add 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's a new one, thanks.

I've heard to multiply your HM time by 2 and add 20 mins.

I heard that one too but reading back over a couple of years threads a smaller proportion of those who did a 1:50 half managed a 4 hour full. I didn't look at other times. Actually I became very doubtful about breaking 4 after seeing how many people were outside their target time last year.

It also made me wonder whether most people use 'target' as meaning their best possible or their reasonable expectation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I need to do some research on this to get it right and might put a feeler out to Testostercone for some help with this.

For now - lets follow the plan as is.

My thoughts would be that if we were setting out a plan so the longest runs would max out at 3 hours, then there would be another longish run on the preceding day to mimic the fatigue effect - but I need to verify that.

As our plan is set out, lets follow it as laid down - it hasn't hurt previous Novices (that I'm aware of :) )

that means running longer than 3 hours, so prepare for it well.

Hmmm... A man who has been immense help to us all with motivation, tips and a great knowledge base has suggested that Testostercone's input would be valued. To me that means I would place great store in any such advice. So when Testostercone suggests that his opinion is to consider not doing long runs of such lengthy duration I would be very inclined to listen.

I understand the psychological angle too but personally (and I'm very aware we are all different) I would have more worries about my body letting me down on the day than my mind.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I heard that one too but reading back over a couple of years threads a smaller proportion of those who did a 1:50 half managed a 4 hour full. I didn't look at other times. Actually I became very doubtful about breaking 4 after seeing how many people were outside their target time last year.

It also made me wonder whether most people use 'target' as meaning their best possible or their reasonable expectation?

I know there'll always but a few outliers but my friend ran a 1:50 HM and followed it up with 3:38 in Dublin for her 1st marathon attempt last year but i'd say that was the exception rather than the norm.

Last year was quite warm which may have effected people who don't like running in the heat (this would be me) or weren't properly hydrated, it was a beautiful day for spectators but possibly not ideal running conditions by 11am. But i'm sure ideal running conditions are a rarity :rolleyes:

I think our 10m and/or HM races will give us a better indication of what time to target but there will always be other variables on the day to consider such as weather. And for me anyhow as a first marathon the beauty is it will be such a thrill just to finish. The a goal will be a time goal yet to be determined but the b goal will be to finish feeling good and the c goal will just be to finish :cool:

Speaking of 10m and HM races. It now turns out that i can't do the HM which i had penciled in and i can't find another which suits me, which means i am going to race this weekend's 10 mile :eek: And it will be my last and only race before DCM :eek: I'm not sure if this is wise or not, i would have really liked to have a done a HM but right now i can't see an option that suits :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Guy's,If your following a plan,stick to it,don't start looking for reasons, not to do the 20mile run at this stage.Ye are all flying it, from reading back to the beginning of this tread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Thedogsgone

Joining this thread late so hello all.

This will be my 1st marathon experience, the only races i've run are the 5 mile in Raheny in January for the last 2 years.

I'm not following a plan as such but i'm trying to fit in 3 7-10 milers during the week and a long run at the weekend. I'm up to 17 miles last weekend and have been advised (by people who have done marathons) that i need to do 3 20 miles in September and the start of October. However I note a lot of different opinions on it here so theres clearly no right or wrong way, I suppose its best to do what you feel suits you.

Anyway just wanted to check in and best of luck to all.

Also as a complete novice at this I am unfamiliar with some of the acronyms I dont expect a full list but if someone could explain what an LSR i'd be most grateful. It seems to be the most common one in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Also as a complete novice at this I am unfamiliar with some of the acronyms I dont expect a full list but if someone could explain what an LSR i'd be most grateful. It seems to be the most common one in use.

L.S.R = Long Slow Run

The best of Luck with the plan.

quick q on the hills / inclines on the DCM course (if anyone knows the course). How do the hills compare in comparison to say the khyber in the phoenix park.? More/less steep and same for distance.? Just thrying to gauge a rough pic in my head. I'll drive the whole south side part of the course at some stage but not got round to it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thinking of preparing this for after FD10. Is the juice meant to be anything special, or is any bog standard "made from concentrate" juice from the supermarket okay?

Yep just your normal apple or orange juice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hmmm... A man who has been immense help to us all with motivation, tips and a great knowledge base has suggested that Testostercone's input would be valued. To me that means I would place great store in any such advice. So when Testostercone suggests that his opinion is to consider not doing long runs of such lengthy duration I would be very inclined to listen.

I understand the psychological angle too but personally (and I'm very aware we are all different) I would have more worries about my body letting me down on the day than my mind.

He was answering the question as asked regarding the benefits of running longer than 3 hours - not 'should this group of novices ignore the plan' :)

If the plan was designed with only 3 hours running in mind, it would be a lot different.
    I'd encourage you to follow the plan as designed.

I had a look at multiple plans from different sources for Novices (about 12 of them) and I reckon that most of them would have you go beyond the 3 hour mark, with the exception of the Hansons plan - but that is a very specific plan that builds fatigue in other ways.

I must apologise for opening the can of worms with the 3 hr query :o I was never suggesting we all suddenly ditch the plans that have been put together for us and have a proven track record. In fact i'm not really sure why i brought it up when personally i know i want to run 20m, preferably twice, no matter how long it takes, before Oct 29th to give me that psychological boost. Anyhow, if it's ok, i declare the subject closed, or at least i'll opt out of the conversation on the subject. (though i can't promise not to raise it again somewhere on this forum in x yrs time when i'm training for maybe my 3rd or 4th marathon :p as if that's going to happen :pac:)

Sure no harm in asking or discussing the subject Ariana. That's what the thread is for

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I must apologise for opening the can of worms with the 3 hr query :o I was never suggesting we all suddenly ditch the plans that have been put together for us and have a proven track record. In fact i'm not really sure why i brought it up when personally i know i want to run 20m, preferably twice, no matter how long it takes, before Oct 29th to give me that psychological boost. Anyhow, if it's ok, i declare the subject closed, or at least i'll opt out of the conversation on the subject. (though i can't promise not to raise it again somewhere on this forum in x yrs time when i'm training for maybe my 3rd or 4th marathon :p as if that's going to happen :pac:)

That's what these boards are for. Questions and discussions. I enjoyed reading through the science behind the pros and cons. Good stuff even if I'm personally adopting a "forest gump" approach of just running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

There are no hills on the marathon route that would be as long as the Kyber. I will post link from Strava this evening showing the changes in elevation.

From memory the main hills on the route are.

1. From the Quays to the NCR which comes nice and early so you will be fresh.

2. St Laurence Road from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot at about the 10 mile mark which is probably the most severe hill on the route.

3. The infamous Heart Break Hill which comes about the 21 mile mark and it is more to do with where this is on the route than the hill itself.

There are a couple of draggy sections most notably in the Phoenix Park and Crumlin ( probably the least enjoyable section of the course).

One thing to note about DCM is that the highest point in the route comes early enough in Castleknock at about 7 miles.

If possible I would recommend getting some runs on the marathon route.

C

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    quick q on the hills / inclines on the DCM course (if anyone knows the course). How do the hills compare in comparison to say the khyber in the phoenix park.? More/less steep and same for distance.? Just thrying to gauge a rough pic in my head. I'll drive the whole south side part of the course at some stage but not got round to it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

That's what these boards are for. Questions and discussions. I enjoyed reading through the science behind the pros and cons. Good stuff even if I'm personally adopting a "forest gump" approach of just running.

+1 to this,

There is no right answer (though there are plenty of wrong ones haha)

There are plenty of ways to skin a cat and even amongst top runners and top coaches there is debate and different approaches

All about what is right for you and taking all factors into account.

Advertisement