Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    quick q on the hills / inclines on the DCM course (if anyone knows the course). How do the hills compare in comparison to say the khyber in the phoenix park.? More/less steep and same for distance.? Just thrying to gauge a rough pic in my head. I'll drive the whole south side part of the course at some stage but not got round to it yet.

Briefly.....Miles 2-7 (James Joyce Bridge to Castleknock College via Stoneybatter, NCR and Chesterfield Avenue) are very slow and draggy for the most part.

Toughest and steepest hill on the course is at the 10 mile mark, which takes you out of Chapelizod, under the N4, and up to Ballyfermot. It's a fair bit steeper than the Khyber, particularly as you approach the top, but not as long.

13-15 from Dolphin's Barn through Crumlin and Drimnagh to Walkinstown are again long and slow; not steep at any stage, but this is where the hurt may be starting to kick in, and it's very easy to lose concentration.

19-22 (Milltown/Clonskeagh) has some tricky ones. The hill from Milltown church is steep but short. Clonskeagh Road is very up and down, and then you have "Heartbreak Hill" after the 22 mile mark on Roebuck Road. Again, it's not that long, or that steep, but because of where we are in the race, it can really put you in the red zone.

More detailed course guide(s) will follow nearer the time. Especially now as we're approaching the longest of our LSRs, it's a good idea to try running parts of the DCM course for yourselves if you can. Particularly if you're based in or near Dublin, why not use this to your advantage? :D

EDIT: scotindublin covered most of this while I was typing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Someone more knowledgeable than myself told me a very accurate predictor of marathon time is multiplying your 10mile time by 3. I'll be taking this into consideration running at the weekend.

Just to add some more evidence:

Frank Duffy 10 mile 2015: 1hr 18 mins
    DCM 2015 3hr 54 mins

:D:D:D

I was a DCM Novice, if that helps.

Enjoy the training folks. So many gains made at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Cheers Lads, been doing the phoenix park part of the course but I'll try something south side when I'm back on the training plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm not Dublin based and everywhere around me is fairly flat. I see this could be a problem for me. What type of elevation gain are we talking about? I did 7m last night and elevation gain was 48m. And my last 2 LSRs, each about 16m but slightly different routes, the elevation gain was 117m and 133m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Being a blow in I am not as familiar with the place names on the Southside as WW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm not Dublin based and everywhere around me is fairly flat. I see this could be a problem for me. What type of elevation gain are we talking about? I did 7m last night and elevation gain was 48m. And my last 2 LSRs, each about 16m but slightly different routes, the elevation gain was 117m and 133m.

living near the park I do a bit of it regularly. I found this Map my Run of the course http://www.mapmyrun.com/ie/dublin-l/dublin-marathon-26-2miles-route-173054258

The first hill is near me and you'll be only few miles in so shouldn't be an issue.

"Heartbreak Hill" which I think is near Clonskeagh is one to look out for by all accounts.

DCM looks fairly flat overall but could be very wrong

I recorded 172m elevation on DCM 2015 over the full 42 kms ( I got the Finished T-Shirt :)). Looks like your LSR's are fine. Wubble Wubble pointed out the nature of the hills which is worth noting i.e. 2-3 short sharp hills but 3 very long drag type hills. Would you encounter something similar on your runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Everyone here talking about the gains, and heres me coming to ask about resting for a week!!

Nothing to do with fatigue, but the knee is annoying me so much and getting to me that if it doesnt sort itself soon I wont be able to run as well as I can on the big day. Im thinking if I rest it completely this week (short week) then I can get back into feeling much better next week, even the last couple days rest has made it feel much better but then again so did last weeks rest.

I came on to ask would taking a break this week (roughly halfway) make much of a impact on my training? I dont want to risk injuring myself to a stage where ive to take a couple of weeks off further into the program, missing the crucial LSRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

denis b wrote: »
    I recorded 172m elevation on DCM 2015 over the full 42 kms ( I got the Finished T-Shirt :)). Looks like your LSR's are fine. Wubble Wubble pointed out the nature of the hills which is worth noting i.e. 2-3 short sharp hills but 3 very long drag type hills. Would you encounter something similar on your runs?

Thanks denis. There's 1 long drag i do occasionally, i'll try to do it more regularly, i'm trying to find new routes all the time but i live/run in the countryside and it's not where i'm originally from so i don't know the area very well unless it leads to the kids' school/gaa pitch! It sounds like i may not be too far off the mark already if you recorded 172m.

Thanks denis. There's 1 long drag i do occasionally, i'll try to do it more regularly, i'm trying to find new routes all the time but i live/run in the countryside and it's not where i'm originally from so i don't know the area very well unless it leads to the kids' school/gaa pitch! It sounds like i may not be too far off the mark already if you recorded 172m.

You are doing fine Ariana with your own LSR's. The 3 short/sharp hills are similar to what you would find over old river or canal bridges, generally speaking, but just a little higher and longer. If there is nothing similar around your area I would not lose any sleep over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I am now completely and utterly confused. Last night when I saw the discussion about running for more than 3 hours my heart leapt in delight at the thought of no 18-20 mile runs. Now I've read all of the responses and think I'll just stick to the plan - the HHN1 plan.

Am now going in search of more interesting podcasts to stick on the phone to get me through.

Having finally charged my Garmin, I have been using it and strava on the phone and am going to stick to strava. We did a 6 mile run last week, as measured by Strava, the forerunner had it short by a whole mile! So I used both for park run, Strava was spot on, garmin was off by a good bit again. It is about 10 years old at this stage, so maybe it's picking up old satellites ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Route profile here

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/coursestart-finish/

There is also a video of the route on YouTube that might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

muddypaws wrote: »
    Am now going in search of more interesting podcasts to stick on the phone to get me through.

I will share what I like - may or may not be for you, but these are superb!

NPR "How I Built This" - amazing interviews with enteprenuers, often from very humble beginings, and the struggles they went thru and what got them to where they are. The guy behind Patagonia, the girl who invented Spandex etc. Inspiration stories really.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - this man can paint pictures with his words. His podcasts are infrequent but very looong. He hadn't posted in ages since marathon podcasts on World Wars, but this week I noticed he has posted an episode about Celtic people. Galicians. Being a blow-in from other part of the world, I knew nothing about Galicians/Celts, or their reputation as dangerous etc by the Romans... It's amazing to be honest!

I also listen to a few others, like Irish History Podcast (excellent actually), and for comedy relief & general topics, I have chat shows like Friday night comedy from BBC Radio 4 (topical piss take), Infinite Monkeycage (super nerdy), TED Radio Hour (inspirational, if a bit dramatic), NPR Planet Money, and a couple of other IT/Security related boring-as-hell-but-have-to-know type podcasts too.

I would whole heartedly recommend the first two to everyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

He was answering the question as asked regarding the benefits of running longer than 3 hours - not 'should this group of novices ignore the plan' :)

If the plan was designed with only 3 hours running in mind, it would be a lot different.
    I'd encourage you to follow the plan as designed.

I had a look at multiple plans from different sources for Novices (about 12 of them) and I reckon that most of them would have you go beyond the 3 hour mark, with the exception of the Hansons plan - but that is a very specific plan that builds fatigue in other ways.

I'd be with Ariana on this one in that I fully intended to complete the longer runs anyway lol. Apologies if my 2 + 2 = 157!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

There are no hills on the marathon route that would be as long as the Kyber. I will post link from Strava this evening showing the changes in elevation.

From memory the main hills on the route are.

1. From the Quays to the NCR which comes nice and early so you will be fresh.

2. St Laurence Road from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot at about the 10 mile mark which is probably the most severe hill on the route.

3. The infamous Heart Break Hill which comes about the 21 mile mark and it is more to do with where this is on the route than the hill itself.

There are a couple of draggy sections most notably in the Phoenix Park and Crumlin ( probably the least enjoyable section of the course).

One thing to note about DCM is that the highest point in the route comes early enough in Castleknock at about 7 miles.

If possible I would recommend getting some runs on the marathon route.

C

Here's my Strava link from last year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/760505386/overview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Someone more knowledgeable than myself told me a very accurate predictor of marathon time is multiplying your 10mile time by 3. I'll be taking this into consideration running at the weekend.
    That's a new one, thanks.

I've heard to multiply your HM time by 2 and add 20 mins.
    Just to add some more evidence:

Frank Duffy 10 mile 2015: 1hr 18 mins
    DCM 2015 3hr 54 mins

:D:D:D

I was a DCM Novice, if that helps.

Enjoy the training folks. So many gains made at this stage.

My DCM novice race series times and marathon times are really close to those formulae:

Frank Duffy: 1:10:30 (multiplied x3 = 3:31:30)
    Half Marathon: 1:36:03 (doubled + 20 = 3:32:06)
    DCM: 3:32:04

This is not permission to slack off after Saturday - the real work starts in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

positron wrote: »
    I will share what I like - may or may not be for you, but these are superb!

NPR "How I Built This" - amazing interviews with enteprenuers, often from very humble beginings, and the struggles they went thru and what got them to where they are. The guy behind Patagonia, the girl who invented Spandex etc. Inspiration stories really.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History - this man can paint pictures with his words. His podcasts are infrequent but very looong. He hadn't posted in ages since marathon podcasts on World Wars, but this week I noticed he has posted an episode about Celtic people. Galicians. Being a blow-in from other part of the world, I knew nothing about Galicians/Celts, or their reputation as dangerous etc by the Romans... It's amazing to be honest!

I also listen to a few others, like Irish History Podcast (excellent actually), and for comedy relief & general topics, I have chat shows like Friday night comedy from BBC Radio 4 (topical piss take), Infinite Monkeycage (super nerdy), TED Radio Hour (inspirational, if a bit dramatic), NPR Planet Money, and a couple of other IT/Security related boring-as-hell-but-have-to-know type podcasts too.

I would whole heartedly recommend the first two to everyone I know.

Thanks for those, I'm now subscribed!

ESPNs 30 for 30 podcasts are more bite sized, but really good. They are sports related in the broadest sense; you don't need to be a sports geek to like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I'm planning on racing both the FD and the HM.

I've never raced beyond 10k and am struggling to figure out a goal time for Saturday so I can work out a pacing strategy.

Using my 5m time, what should I reasonably expect?

If it's 5m x 2 + x minutes? What is x?

Thanks for that, which is quite uplifting.

The run from Clontarf to howth, and back, with a little detour through st Anne's (about 19m) has a broadly similar elevation gain and I would have thought that was very flat.

Any strong feelings on wearing singlets versus tshirts for the race itself?

Presume there isn't much in it and it should be what you are used to (I've always worn dri fit tshirts) but just checking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Here's my Strava link from last year:

https://www.strava.com/activities/760505386/overview

Well done amazing time , this is a time I'd love its nice to see the splits and what it takes, you paced that really well.

drkpower wrote: »
    Any strong feelings on wearing singlets versus tshirts for the race itself?

Presume there isn't much in it and it should be what you are used to (I've always worn dri fit tshirts) but just checking!

I wore a singlet for the first time in the IR5 and I'm a convert. It was just so comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

drkpower wrote: »
    Thanks for that, which is quite uplifting.

The run from Clontarf to howth, and back, with a little detour through st Anne's (about 19m) has a broadly similar elevation gain and I would have thought that was very flat.

Unless you're going up the hill in Howth that is very flat, with the exception of St Anne's.

The highest point in DCM is in Castleknock... people sometimes underestimate the drag up from the Liffey through the Park to that point. Around the 7-8 mile mark I think. It does have a lovely downhill from there back to the Liffey... and then up again from Chapelizod.

Anybody based in Dublin (and still planning to do a 20 miler :p) I would highly recommend doing a recce of the route, especially from Chapelizod to the end which has the worst hills (they feel like the worst because of where they appear in the race, but not that bad really... honest :p)

Lazare wrote: »
    I'm planning on racing both the FD and the HM.

I've never raced beyond 10k and am struggling to figure out a goal time for Saturday so I can work out a pacing strategy.

Using my 5m time, what should I reasonably expect?

If it's 5m x 2 + x minutes? What is x?

runningforfitness.org has a race time predictor which I have found accurate in all of my huge total of 10 races. Like others I would disregard its marathon predicted time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Speaking of 10m and HM races. It now turns out that i can't do the HM which i had penciled in and i can't find another which suits me, which means i am going to race this weekend's 10 mile :eek: And it will be my last and only race before DCM :eek: I'm not sure if this is wise or not, i would have really liked to have a done a HM but right now i can't see an option that suits :(

Have a look at runireland.com and search by month and race type. There seem to be a few joint half/full ones in Sept, e.g. Clarinbridge Oyster Marathon, Sept 9th. Clew Bay, Mayo, Half Marathon & 10K, Sept 23rd. Obviously if you're settled on the FD10 stick with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

muddypaws wrote: »
    I am now completely and utterly confused. Last night when I saw the discussion about running for more than 3 hours my heart leapt in delight at the thought of no 18-20 mile runs. Now I've read all of the responses and think I'll just stick to the plan - the HHN1 plan.

:D

Also :D

This American Life, Ted Radio Hour, Radiolab, Snap Judgement, Planet Money, It's Been A Minute, Science Vs. True crime: Serial, Someone Knows Something, Unsolved, Accused.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    runningforfitness.org has a race time predictor which I have found accurate in all of my huge total of 10 races. Like others I would disregard its marathon predicted time!

Great stuff, cheers. That predicts in and around what I was thinking.

Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories' has to be the best thing to have in your ears running this time of year.

Dark side of the Moon for those beautiful dark winter mornings.

Lazare wrote: »
    Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories' has to be the best thing to have in your ears running this time of year.

Dark side of the Moon for those beautiful dark winter mornings.

I don't listen to anything....just me and my thoughts :o

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't listen to anything....just me and my thoughts :o

I never race with headphones, only really use them for the Wed session and the LSR, and not always. Unless it's Winter, love running to Pink Floyd on a dark cold morning.

There's some tunes though that are fantastic rhythmically for running, particularly that Daft Punk album, you can set your stride to the rhythm. It's such a great way of improving your form.

The absolute best song I've found for it though is Solomon Burke 'Everybody needs somebody'.

Listen to it. Run to it, and breath out on the sax. :)

Advertisement