Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

SATURDAY ... Sunny intervals will begin to dominate in most regions during the morning hours, and most counties will enjoy a fairly good day with lows of 6 to 9 C and highs 18 to 21 C.

Looks like we'll be spared the wild weather of last year. Personally, I'm not too happy with that temperature though. Could do with it a good few degrees milder tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Have a look at runireland.com and search by month and race type. There seem to be a few joint half/full ones in Sept, e.g. Clarinbridge Oyster Marathon, Sept 9th. Clew Bay, Mayo, Half Marathon & 10K, Sept 23rd. Obviously if you're settled on the FD10 stick with that.

Thanks. It was Clarinbridge i had planned to do but now i can't cos of work and the weekend of Clew Bay my hubby is away on a stag from Fri-Sun so that's out too. That one is the same weekend as the race series so it would have been ideal but i'd need a babysitter for 5 hours minimum and the kid's have their own sports stuff on so babysitter would need to act as a chauffeur too so it's just not really feasible :rolleyes:

There is Run Galway Bay on Oct 9th but i think it may be a bit late to race a half, open to advice on this as there are still some places left (the 10k & full are sold out already)?

Interesting, Run Galway Bay are doing a option this year to enter both the 10k and the half which i guess is aimed at people who want to do a 20m LSR in the company of others. It's a interesting approach, i'm not sure how it will work from a start/stop/timing perspective but i suppose if you're treating it as an LSR it won't matter so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Everyone here talking about the gains, and heres me coming to ask about resting for a week!!

Nothing to do with fatigue, but the knee is annoying me so much and getting to me that if it doesnt sort itself soon I wont be able to run as well as I can on the big day. Im thinking if I rest it completely this week (short week) then I can get back into feeling much better next week, even the last couple days rest has made it feel much better but then again so did last weeks rest.

I came on to ask would taking a break this week (roughly halfway) make much of a impact on my training? I dont want to risk injuring myself to a stage where ive to take a couple of weeks off further into the program, missing the crucial LSRs.

Would you think about going on the bike to try and keep your fitness up? It's would be low impact on your knees and it would also help build your thigh muscles.
    Sometimes if your glutes & thighs aren't strong enough it can lead to more pressure on the knees. Squats are also good when the knees are feeling up to doing them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lazare wrote: »
    I never race with headphones, only really use them for the Wed session and the LSR, and not always. Unless it's Winter, love running to Pink Floyd on a dark cold morning.

There's some tunes though that are fantastic rhythmically for running, particularly that Daft Punk album, you can set your stride to the rhythm. It's such a great way of improving your form.

The absolute best song I've found for it though is Solomon Burke 'Everybody needs somebody'.

Listen to it. Run to it, and breath out on the sax. :)

During the 2012 Marathon I brought my Ipod Shuffle...... never used it. I chatted to a few other lads and ladies on the day. The athmosphere of the day was suberb and I forgot I even had the Ipod.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Everyone here talking about the gains, and heres me coming to ask about resting for a week!!

Nothing to do with fatigue, but the knee is annoying me so much and getting to me that if it doesnt sort itself soon I wont be able to run as well as I can on the big day. Im thinking if I rest it completely this week (short week) then I can get back into feeling much better next week, even the last couple days rest has made it feel much better but then again so did last weeks rest.

I came on to ask would taking a break this week (roughly halfway) make much of a impact on my training? I dont want to risk injuring myself to a stage where ive to take a couple of weeks off further into the program, missing the crucial LSRs.
    Would you think about going on the bike to try and keep your fitness up? It's would be low impact on your knees and it would also help build your thigh muscles.
    Sometimes if your glutes & thighs aren't strong enough it can lead to more pressure on the knees. Squats are also good when the knees are feeling up to doing them!!

Sorry if you've already said but have you seen a Physio? One session might be all it takes, i find with my knees quite often the IT band is the problem. Good deep tissue work might relieve it (if it's not inflamed). Do you foam roll?

I find running down hill hard on the knees too, so maybe avoid those, try to stick to flat routes (for now at least).

Cycling is a great idea. Also if there's any aqua running classes near you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Strengthen your glutes and core and it will help immeasurably with knee problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

quickbeam wrote: »
    Looks like we'll be spared the wild weather of last year. Personally, I'm not too happy with that temperature though. Could do with it a good few degrees milder tbh.

I was thinking the exact same earlier when I looked up the weather for Saturday

Well I had to skip yesterday 6 mile my cold is worse and I have a little cough sore throat and feel like crap, I hoped to get out this morning but still feeling really bad my tummy is not the best either. I want to make sure I am better for Saturday so hoping the rest does the trick.

Has anyone ever taken BCAA for immune support we covered it in my course, so I got some to see if it helps, but nice to read others experience on it

Baby75 wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same earlier when I looked up the weather for Saturday

Well I had to skip yesterday 6 mile my cold is worse and I have a little cough sore throat and feel like crap, I hoped to get out this morning but still feeling really bad my tummy is not the best either. I want to make sure I am better for Saturday so hoping the rest does the trick.

Has anyone ever taken BCAA for immune support we covered it in my course, so I got some to see if it helps, but nice to read others experience on it

Sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat unfortunately, all blocked up with an awful sinus headache and glands in my throat are swollen. I've been taking Vit c with Zinc and Echinacea cold & flu tablets but i'm ready to try something stronger if anyone has any suggestions? I've never heard of BCAA :confused:

I ran the 2 easy runs this week as i felt it was just a headcold and still is i suppose but i'm not sure if it was wise or not :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Im on the bike nearly every day, although its a ridiculously short cycle to work (5-10 minutes) I do head further out sometimes for a coffee etc. Ive been told squats will help!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry if you've already said but have you seen a Physio? One session might be all it takes, i find with my knees quite often the IT band is the problem. Good deep tissue work might relieve it (if it's not inflamed). Do you foam roll?

I find running down hill hard on the knees too, so maybe avoid those, try to stick to flat routes (for now at least).

Cycling is a great idea. Also if there's any aqua running classes near you?
    I looked into physio, fairly expensive and im afraid that they'll tell me the usual "rest it for a week or two and see how u get on" when thats probably just what im thinking they'll say as ive never been to one before. I do foam roll, but nowhere as much as I probably should!! Will focus on the IT bands a bit more.

I dont do an awful lot of hills, well not extreme ones and I even tried running in as much grass as possible last week on my LSR to see would that save me.

Thanks everyone for the help, im out of action this week but back at it again next week, good luck to everyone doing the FD10 on Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I might have overdone a bit...

I couldn't run Tuesdays's 5k for lazyness and rain, so full of guilt, I went out in yesterday evenings perfect sunshine and ran 17k @ approximately 6 minute per km speed - went into the dark forest trails of Towney Hall as well, where I came way too close to twisting my ankle more than once (and pleasantly surprised that I didn't, especially since there was a time few years ago where I used to hobble to work after my ankle giving away just from walking to Connolly station to city center and somewhere along Talbot street the sidewalk is a few degrees off perfectly level. One of the many benifits of running I suppose).

I didn't feel too bad at the end of the run yesterday but my left hamstring is still very sore, noticable even when sitting at my desk working, which is somewhat unusual. Not planning to move a muscle until FD10m but just wanted to be sure that I do everything to fix this muscle... def going to try foam rolling tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

speaking of foam rolling - anyone any good video's or techniques that show how to do it properly.?

(and in case I;m not back online today, best of luck to everyone racing the 10m on sunday)

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    speaking of foam rolling - anyone any good video's or techniques that show how to do it properly.?

(and in case I;m not back online today, best of luck to everyone racing the 10m on sunday)

Good luck to them, Ill be knacked after the 10 mile on Saturday myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Good luck to them, Ill be knacked after the 10 mile on Saturday myself :D

:p

skyblue46 wrote: »
    runningforfitness.org has a race time predictor which I have found accurate in all of my huge total of 10 races. Like others I would disregard its marathon predicted time!

McMillan and Runners World gave me in or around the same 10m time based on my most recent 10k time. I'm getting nervous & excited all at the same time now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

James Dunne Kinetic Revolution is good for foam rolling. Videos are up on YouTube or follow him on Facebook for the latest updates.

Sheep1978 wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

McMillan and Runners World gave me in or around the same 10m time based on my most recent 10k time. I'm getting nervous & excited all at the same time now :)

The predicted time looks a bit fast for me , I think I'll start a lot slower than predicted finish time as I don't fancy blowing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I have settled on doing it as a session and I have to admit that has diminished the usual newbies excitement.... That's not so say I regret it, it's just the first time I've done it.

I'm still a bit confused as to what session to do so I'll probably post a question about it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat unfortunately, all blocked up with an awful sinus headache and glands in my throat are swollen. I've been taking Vit c with Zinc and Echinacea cold & flu tablets but i'm ready to try something stronger if anyone has any suggestions? I've never heard of BCAA :confused:

I ran the 2 easy runs this week as i felt it was just a headcold and still is i suppose but i'm not sure if it was wise or not :rolleyes:

I hope you get better quickly as well it is crappy when you feel sick, The rule of thumb if it's above the neck your ok to run, I could feel it coming on Tuesday but felt much better after a run but no way I could run now.

BCAA'a are Branched chain amino acids can help with repair muscle after intense exercise and help with DOMS if taken before resistance training. Also very beneficial for fasted workouts. what I thought was interesting is it also helps support the immune system by keeping glutamine stores at the correct level. https://www.jaylabpro.com/immune-system-booster.html

I am taking it so I will let you know if it helps

The predicted time looks a bit fast for me , I think I'll start a lot slower than predicted finish time as I don't fancy blowing up.

Yes thinking the same, i'll start conservatively and hopefully i'll be able kick on at some stage and get within a couple of minutes of the predicted time.

If i enter my 5k time, my 10k doesn't tally so i know i lack endurance as the distance increases so this will be an issue on Saturday as well no doubt :o

I've never raced 10m before so it's a guaranteed PB but as i'll be using it to base my marathon target time i'd like to feel i gave it all but didn't blow up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

I know I'm a bit ahead of the rest of the group but hopefully this question and its answers will help ye nearer the time.

Regarding the power of the taper. I completed my 20 mile LSR today in 4 hours and 6 minutes roughly. I aimed for 12:30 pace and was generally consistent on the flat, hills were a little slower or faster up or down. Took a 10 minute refueling and loo break (paused my watch) at mile 14 and found the last 4 miles very tough going, needing to take walking breaks every few minutes.

My questions are around:

How much better off will I be after the taper? The last 6.2 seems like a mountain now, how much will i gain from the taper?

I felt really achy for stretches in the second half and know that will get worse the more i run on them i.e. the last 6.2, can i just expect to be injured after the marathon and just be happy with the achievement if i can complete it?

Any tips on other things to do during the taper? Im planning a few sports rubs and going to continue foam rolling. I'm open to anything at this stage to get me over the line.

If it wasn't for this group and the support and encouragement I've gotten here, i genuinely would only be doing the HM that day. My SO thinks marathons are a ludicrous distance that no one should do and has informed me of such, and others have commented similar, so thanks to every one of ye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kmagic wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit ahead of the rest of the group but hopefully this question and its answers will help ye nearer the time.

Regarding the power of the taper. I completed my 20 mile LSR today in 4 hours and 6 minutes roughly. I aimed for 12:30 pace and was generally consistent on the flat, hills were a little slower or faster up or down. Took a 10 minute refueling and loo break (paused my watch) at mile 14 and found the last 4 miles very tough going, needing to take walking breaks every few minutes.

My questions are around:

How much better off will I be after the taper? The last 6.2 seems like a mountain now, how much will i gain from the taper?

I felt really achy for stretches in the second half and know that will get worse the more i run on them i.e. the last 6.2, can i just expect to be injured after the marathon and just be happy with the achievement if i can complete it?

Any tips on other things to do during the taper? Im planning a few sports rubs and going to continue foam rolling. I'm open to anything at this stage to get me over the line.

If it wasn't for this group and the support and encouragement I've gotten here, i genuinely would only be doing the HM that day. My SO thinks marathons are a ludicrous distance that no one should do and has informed me of such, and others have commented similar, so thanks to every one of ye.

I remember having all the exact same concerns as you after a 20 miler in 2015... worrying about all the stoppage time, about the fact that I could hardly walk at the end, etc., etc. But don't forget your body is adapting and getting ready for the next challenge... and the taper is designed to maintain your fitness but get you to the start line fresh. And the last 6 miles will be tough no matter what.

Not sure why you expect to be injured after the marathon.... you'll be tired for sure.

Tips during taper... ignore all your anxieties and worst fears, which will torture you :D

And just think of the satisfaction you will have when you complete it and impress your SO and all those doubters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Quick question for AMK or anyone else who can help. AMK suggested three possible sessions for the 10 on Saturday. I was wondering if based on my planned paces I would derive more benefit or be nearly as hard as the racing I'm trying to avoid.

My PMP is 9.09 which I'll round to 9. My PHMP is 8.05 based on 2015 half. I'm guesstimating my 10 mile pace at 7.50.

Based on AMKs suggestions on page 140 the first session would give me a finish of 1:22:45, the second one 1:27:30 and the third one 1:30. Bearing in mind I think I would race it in 1:18:xx and have done an 8 mile PMP this week is there any session that jumps out as being most beneficial?

Edit: also wondering how far in advance of the race start is both ideal and practical to finish the pre race 2 miles?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Thanks. It was Clarinbridge i had planned to do but now i can't cos of work and the weekend of Clew Bay my hubby is away on a stag from Fri-Sun so that's out too. That one is the same weekend as the race series so it would have been ideal but i'd need a babysitter for 5 hours minimum and the kid's have their own sports stuff on so babysitter would need to act as a chauffeur too so it's just not really feasible :rolleyes:

There is Run Galway Bay on Oct 9th but i think it may be a bit late to race a half, open to advice on this as there are still some places left (the 10k & full are sold out already)?

Interesting, Run Galway Bay are doing a option this year to enter both the 10k and the half which i guess is aimed at people who want to do a 20m LSR in the company of others. It's a interesting approach, i'm not sure how it will work from a start/stop/timing perspective but i suppose if you're treating it as an LSR it won't matter so much.

There's a half in Enniscrone, Sligo on September 3rd, if that date is possible. I'm going use it for my planned 15 miler, with a 2 mile warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Quick question for AMK or anyone else who can help. AMK suggested three possible sessions for the 10 on Saturday. I was wondering if based on my planned paces I would derive more benefit or be nearly as hard as the racing I'm trying to avoid.

My PMP is 9.09 which I'll round to 9. My PHMP is 8.05 based on 2015 half. I'm guesstimating my 10 mile pace at 7.50.

Based on AMKs suggestions on page 140 the first session would give me a finish of 1:22:45, the second one 1:27:30 and the third one 1:30. Bearing in mind I think I would race it in 1:18:xx and have done an 8 mile PMP this week is there any session that jumps out as being most beneficial?

Edit: also wondering how far in advance of the race start is both ideal and practical to finish the pre race 2 miles?

Thanks in advance.

If I were you I'd race it :) But given the sessions prescribed, I'd go for the 10@MP as a consistent pace would be easier to maintain as the folks around you will generally be running at that pace. Changing the paces means you're passing and being passed for a lot of the race which can be distracting and annoying, especially in a large race.

Aim to finish up the 2 miles 10 minutes ahead of the start of the race, giving you enough time to get into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Baby75 wrote: »
    I hope you get better quickly as well it is crappy when you feel sick, The rule of thumb if it's above the neck your ok to run, I could feel it coming on Tuesday but felt much better after a run but no way I could run now.

BCAA'a are Branched chain amino acids can help with repair muscle after intense exercise and help with DOMS if taken before resistance training. Also very beneficial for fasted workouts. what I thought was interesting is it also helps support the immune system by keeping glutamine stores at the correct level. https://www.jaylabpro.com/immune-system-booster.html

I am taking it so I will let you know if it helps

This is a good balanced article on BCAAs and other supplements: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/fitness-supplements-the-good-the-bad-and-the-bcaa-1.2728276
    "BCAAs help maintain muscle mass during training but the effect is so minuscule, relative to the difference a good clean diet can make"

Rest, pain killers and staying hydrated are the only reliable ways to deal with colds:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/cold-remedies/art-20046403?pg=1

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/echinacea/faq-20058218

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So, anybody got a handy pre-race checklist? I've come up with one, but tomorrow's FD10 is only my second ever race (after Fingal 10K) so I'm still new to the whole thing and there could be stuff I've forgotten, so input appreciated:

Day before:
    - Eat and drink properly
    - Know what to wear and ensure they're ready
    - Ensure ICE details are on the pack of your race number
    - Pin your race number to your top
    - Ensure travel arrangements to the start
    - Prepare bag*
    - Fully charge running watch and phone
    - Set alarm
    - Go to bed early

Morning of the race:
    - Have a good breakfast
    - Dress
    - Tie up hair
    - Prepare running belt with fuel and hydration
    - Go to the loo
    - Leave in plenty of time

* What should go in the bag?
    - Water / energy drinks / food?
    - Plasters?
    - Baby wipes?
    - Towel??
    - Vaseline?
    - Pain killers?
    - Change of clothes?

Some oif the above may be OTT and there could well be some obvious othings I've missed out on. I certainly didn't bring all that the last time, but I am wondering as the races get longer if maybe these are some of the things I will need, and I'm just looking to see what others pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Under the what to wear ensure you have clothing which will keep you warm and dry should it be raining right up to the start. Old leggings and top which can be discarded just before the start are the norm.

A waterproof poncho is a good idea too. The euro shops and deals etc sell them.
    Im not sure what the forecast is tomorrow but best be prepared anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lidl have those great value High5 packs in, picked up two of them yesterday.

Just realised I mixed up the plan this week :( I've done all the runs as if I wasn't racing 10m this weekend but I am! So my week will look something like this by Saturday afternoon!

Mon - rest
    Tues - 7m Easy
    Wed - 5m easy with 5 x 100m strides
    Thurs - 4m easy
    Fri - Yoga class
    Sat - 10m race

• Advertisement

quickbeam wrote: »
    So, anybody got a handy pre-race checklist? I've come up with one, but tomorrow's FD10 is only my second ever race (after Fingal 10K) so I'm still new to the whole thing and there could be stuff I've forgotten, so input appreciated:

Day before:
    - Eat and drink properly
    - Know what to wear and ensure they're ready
    - Ensure ICE details are on the pack of your race number
    - Pin your race number to your top
    - Ensure travel arrangements to the start
    - Prepare bag*
    - Fully charge running watch and phone
    - Set alarm
    - Go to bed early

Morning of the race:
    - Have a good breakfast
    - Dress
    - Tie up hair
    - Prepare running belt with fuel and hydration
    - Go to the loo
    - Leave in plenty of time

* What should go in the bag?
    - Water / energy drinks / food?
    - Plasters?
    - Baby wipes?
    - Towel??
    - Vaseline?
    - Pain killers?
    - Change of clothes?

Some oif the above may be OTT and there could well be some obvious othings I've missed out on. I certainly didn't bring all that the last time, but I am wondering as the races get longer if maybe these are some of the things I will need, and I'm just looking to see what others pack.

This will come in handy, cheers QB

Advertisement