Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Jfrost wrote: »
    Can't underestimate the importance of mixing hour training up....try and commit to at least one circuit class a week along with exercises at home and if possible a spinning class too.
    The legs are going to carry you and the core is going to support you,, so let a couple of classes encourage you.

Very true but for anyone not doing this already, use the next month to gently increase your mileage (it's recommended to not increase by anything more than 10% a week) and to find a one month core strengthening program that suits, something sensible that won't make it difficult to find the time for running too as we were advised last year that once Marathon Training began, to not introduce anything new during the training.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself may be able to advise you better on this.

The go to guy last year for stretching, foam rolling and strength exercises was James Dunne on YouTube, his channel is called Kinetic Revolution and he is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SoleDiva

tony1980 wrote: »
    positron wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate at all - each to their own. :o

Having said that, I grew up listening to elders refering distances in yards, furlongs, miles etc but often folks also say places where X amount of time away - and no they didn't use hours/minutes either. They would use nazhika (24 minutes), vinazhika (24 seconds), and nazhi/para to measure volumes. My grandma had a weight measuring stick - that's right, a stick, with detailed markings etc - there was some sort of math to go with it, which I shoud try and dig out (note to self). Height was in inches and weight was in kilos! Finally when I got to school/university, it was all metric - meters, seconds, kilograms! - And I thought that was it, I had everything right in my head, people are 1-2 meters tall, places are 10s to 1000s of kilometers away - world made sense.

Oh no... I then moved here to Ireland and found that miles are still in use. And Stones. Wait, what now, Stones? What's a stone? 6.34 kilos? That's 14 pounds. Pounds? Not pebbles? So 7 pounds is half a stone, and 3.5 pounds is a quarter stone? Oh no, a Quarter is 2 stones? Why? So what's 8 stones?.. Actually I still don't know. Eventually I got used to miles again - by constantly doing the mental arithmetic that a mile is 1.6 kms, and speeds are in miles per hour, okay I am getting used to this. Oh wait, now the country is switching everything to kilometers. Speed signs are in kilometers/hour now. But people talk in miles. Places are still X miles away. Cars/bikes shows kilometers now. And there are new speedlimits (30 kmph) that never had a mile/hour equivalent in my head. And as soon as you go north of the border everything goes back to miles again.

This is when I realised - I sure am getting old and grumpy - and soon going to get stuck in my ways - and if I am going to get stuck with a system of units in my head for rest of my life... I would rather it be metric system. Multiples of tens - easier to understand when dementia sets in.. :o Except for pints of course - that's exactly the right measure. :D

No doube majority here would have no reason to consider kilometers, so I wouldn't suggest anyone switching to kms at all, I think I will convert my figures to miles for this thread.

Great post, I got a good laugh out of this :-)

Oh this is hilarious!!! My exact thoughts. I can spend ages while I'm running doing the various conversions (usually wrong!) and it is a great distraction method :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SoleDiva

Wise ones - I have sprained my ankle!! Quite badly it would seem but I'm hoping the doc is being overly cautious.

In all the miles I've covered, all the trails I've run, I've never done something so stupid or so SORE!

Anyway, this week I have to rest it and I will follow doctors orders. Next Wednesday it will be reassessed when the swelling subsides and I'll know whether it's two weeks or six in the lovely boot.

PLEASE can someone tell me a good news story about an ugly sprain and a successful marathon finish (I would attach a pic if I knew how and if I didn't think it would sicken you all)

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I am taking plans like speed limits. They are guidelines not target etc. After all we are all different and 10k might be a walk in the park to you but two days of agony to me. My plan is to follow the plan IF my body is happy. If not, so be it. For instance I have never done three consecutive runs, so I would delay the third run if I dont feel fully recovered from second.

I loosely rounded them to the nearest integer, mostly up but sometimes down as well.

Good plan, I think I managed to do 3 consecutive runs last year, I was always too tired to do the third in a row. I always moved days around to suit me. The Hal Higdon program didn't really have any pace work in it, I decided I'd try a sub 4 so I think we were advised to run our lsr's about a 1.30 per mile slower than our own PMP. So if someone's goal was a sub 5 for example, work out that pace for the Marathon and then slow down by about a 1.30 per mile for your lsr's or whatever your comfortable with. Everybody is different, find your comfort zone.

I found it difficult to understand at the beginning if sub 4 was attainable for me so my Pmp was all over the place for awhile, one week I was running it quicker, another I was bang on and other weeks I was slower.

I met up with Anne for the Tullamore half last year in August and was hoping for a sub 1h50m half, I came in at 1h52m, Anne was a little quicker than me, when we spoke afterwards, it had hit us to respect the distance and we started thinking about a different pace for the Marathon because of our result in the Half. It really felt like a guessing game to me to have any idea of what my PMP should have been from the start of training.

Nop suggested to have an A goal, a B goal and a C goal. I think most peoples goal ended up been to just make the starting line injury free and to just enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hi shortie_chik, great to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me as you say, it's about completing the marathon on the day regardless of the time. We are off to Mauritius for a very relaxing all-inclusive sun holiday - can't wait for it now!! The hotel we have booked has a gym so I reckon I can just plod out a few runs on the treadmill there - it'll help undo the damage from all the food we'll end up eating!! There's loads of other activities as well so hopefully that will keep me active enough. How about yourself - where are you guys off to?

That sounds fantastic! And if you know now that your hotel has a gym, you can plan a few runs in an air conditioned gym if it's scorchio out!
    We're going to Japan, very excited! This weekend I'm gonna have to sit down and look at our stops and see where I can find green patches to run a few circles around. Don't think any of our hotels will have gyms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Hi BrownEyes79,

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear last year's race day experiences haven't deterred you from coming back for more :) still and all, I wouldn't recommend running a marathon with a sore throat and head cold. Last year I was ill for a lot of the week before and only "recovered" from that a couple of days before the race. I would still maintain that it affected my performance on the day.

Not kidding yourself at all, hopefully a bit more structure on your training will help you improve. Any thoughts on the HH vs. Boards plan debate? :)
    Thanks for joining up, best of luck!

I'm definitely following the Boards plan! I didn't do any strides or sprints in my training at all last year because I was completely clueless with what I was doing!! So I think the Wednesday training on your plan will really stand to me this year!

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but what do "w/c" and "c/d" stand for???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but what do "w/c" and "c/d" stand for???

Stands for "Winning coefficient" and "Clown dance".

Some would say it stands for "warm up" and "cool down", but never mind them.

Stands for "Winning coefficient" and "Clown dance".

Some would say it stands for "warm up" and "cool down", but never mind them.

Haha........ love it, thanks Positron

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So, I found out last night that I've a wedding to go to on the west coast on..... yes, you've guess it, Saturday 28th October. Can't believe it, am pretty gutted, shot down before I even started.

I was considering training for the Galway Marathon instead (start of October) but I really want Dublin to be my first one so I'm going to have to bide my time I think.

So my attention is going to change to training for the DCM Race Series, up to the Half Marathon. And on that note, I've a question for the more experienced runners on here. Would it be silly to follow a DCM plan up to week 13 (with a max LSR of 18m) if I'm training for a half-marathon? Or should I focus on a specific Half-Marathon plan instead? I've done 2 half marathon's before but never surpassed 12 miles while training for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thats a pity sometimes life just gets in the way*...that is one mantra that everyone will hear over the coming months.

I would suggest that you follow specific half marathon training plan if you are targeting a half later in the summer.

Do you have a goal time in mind? That would focus the efforts more.

Hang around the thread as well you will still pick up some great tips and advice.

* Or just miss the wedding

aloooof wrote: »
    So, I found out last night that I've a wedding to go to on the west coast on..... yes, you've guess it, Saturday 28th October. Can't believe it, am pretty gutted, shot down before I even started.

I was considering training for the Galway Marathon instead (start of October) but I really want Dublin to be my first one so I'm going to have to bide my time I think.

So my attention is going to change to training for the DCM Race Series, up to the Half Marathon. And on that note, I've a question for the more experienced runners on here. Would it be silly to follow a DCM plan up to week 13 (with a max LSR of 18m) if I'm training for a half-marathon? Or should I focus on a specific Half-Marathon plan instead? I've done 2 half marathon's before but never surpassed 12 miles while training for them.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote:

Is it your own wedding by any chance?
    If not, I can't see that you have to be there! Maybe you can just go to the service / church bit, shake their hands and congratulate them and head back to Dublin that early evening?

In October 2011 my mum asked me if I could come to a wedding with her the following Halloween. I kind of mysteriously said I thought I already had plans, yes over a year in advance. My sister went in the end and I ran my marathon. The marathon was far more important to me personally than the people getting married.
    So I guess it could come down to how close you are to the couple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Got out the notepaper, this morning, jotted down a rough 'plan'. I will aim for 4 day's a week but as I'm fairly experienced I think I should be ok with 3,some weeks, if I need rest, or 3 plus a 'work-our' class (to develop my core). One of those could be a 'session' with my club. I actually usually run only 3 days a week plus one or two 'classes' and feel that with 4 I could be a lot more likely to get injured. Although I'll aim to get 4 in, if I can and feel 'good'. Maybe I could drop the class come August and get in an extra gentle run? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Room for another one to join? :) I've been running on and off for a few years but made a New Years resolution to get back in properly this year. And for the first time in years I stuck to it!! By mid April I was up to about 10miles but with weddings and holidays since then I've lost a bit of that stamina. Back on form though this week and running 3 miles Monday, 5 miles today, have planned parkrun on Saturday (3 miles) and then 6.5mile lsr on Sunday.

Had a look through wubble wubble's plan and looks great, thanks a mil! Should I just maintain my distances for now until that plan starts at the end of June? Up to April I was adding a km a week to my long run so if I continued that it would put me way off wubbles plan by the time I start.

Haven't yet signed up for DCM, think I'm still hedging my bets :o big commitment to make! I'm lucky in that I have both of my parents there as running buddies. They've both done the DCM (my dad is a club runner and has done it 15/16 times I think) so both are well versed on the prep required. Still, very nervous about entering! When does entry close?

Not sure when entries close. I think you're usually OK until Aug/Sept, though there was a bit of a kerfuffle last year when the numbers were high. Do sign up - it's a target and more concrete that way. And if it's the family business then why not? :p

Re mileage, can't remember where I was at shortly before the plan started. I was taking it easy due to injury. It was a good time to get the OK from a GP about running a marathon - appointment was two birds, one stone. I won't advise too much in case I'm wrong, I don't see anything bad about adding to your weekly total as you're going along now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The marathon is no sprint , neither is preparing properly for one. It took me 3 years from when I decided i wanted to run a marathon and actually feel i was ready and capable of running one. If you really wanted Dublin to be your first and can not t make it this year you could still use this year in prep and run it next year. miles in the legs will stand to you on the day.

They say Dublin is one of the best to run for atmosphere and having ran it last year I would have to agree dispite it being my only one to date.

Experiencing the atmosphere at Castleknock in particular but also throughout the course in my first Marathon is something I will never forget . Do yourself a favour and do whatever it takes to experience that as a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

I live in Castleknock so certainly looking forward to that section if the nephews and the wife are out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

*Sneaking in my good wishes belatedly* :o You are all in great hands and about to embark on a life-changing few months. Enjoy!

I live in Castleknock so certainly looking forward to that section if the nephews and the wife are out

Me too. I'll keep an eye out for you running around the park!
    I'll be the short woman with the sweaty red face and giant sunglasses. :cool:

Between now and the start of the marathon training plan in June whats the minimum we should be able to run on the LSRs?? 10miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I've been prowling on the thread now for the last week or two, and its time to throw my (boards) name into the hat. I got into running in 09/10 and did the DCM in 09 and 10 (feel free to boot me out of the thread!). 09 I did some very unstructured training and came in at 4.18. I said never again, did a few half marathons the following year and get coaxed into the DCM the following year (very late entry). 4.08. I very much struggled in both races. After the the 2nd attempt at the marathon I gave up running completely. Dabbled in the gym/crossfit since, but I definitely feel Im back to square one with the running! Started back running in Jan of this year.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

HM - 2010: 1.46 (I think)
    10M - 2010: (Cant remember!)
    5M - May 17-Terenure 5 mile. 37.07
    5k - Early 17-Marlay parkrun. 22.48

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 2 8k runs during the week, and a long run 10-16m on a Sunday. I do the odd parkrun, and some interval training when I can fit it in.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I feel like the DCM beat me the last time, so I would to finish in 3.40 for 2017, but realistically anything under 4 hours would be great.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    I can commit to 4 training sessions a week. In terms of training plans, my other half runs for a running a club (unfortunately I cant commit to the club myself), so she has sent me their training schedule. So I will try mirror that as much as I can.

Why are you running this marathon? As above,I have attempted the marathon a good while ago and it completely destroyed me! For me I'd like to give it one last go, before I have kids etc (got married last year), as after this year I will never have as much free time as I have now!

Not to take the love of running out of the marathon or anything, but this year i will treat it as an exam i.e. you need to get the hours of study/training in to nail the exam/race. All about the preparation (which I have failed to do effectively in the past!)

Best of luck to everyone here. Approx when is everyones full marathon training starting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hope I'm not too late to the party :)

Started running in Jan 2016, new year's resolution. Did the C25K and loved it instantly. Have been hooked ever since. I'm living for DCM ever since going along to spectate last year. My wife is due to give birth late September so I'm aiming for the Guinness World Record for first man to run a marathon having not slept for a month. Seriously though, I'm going to have to play it by ear, I'm going to fully train but I'll have to accept that life may get in the way this year.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    January 2017: 5 mile: 39:14
    April 2017: 10k: 49:38
    Parkrun Nov '16: 22:15

No.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5k Tue morn, 5k Thurs morn and parkrun Sat is a typical week, but focusing more on meaningful training lately, did a 16k lsr last Sunday, a tempo on Tue and intervals this morning. Don't do much in terms of cross, other than sporadic pull ups.
    What do you want to achieve?
    I want to run it all.
    Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream would be 3:30, realistic time 4:00
    How many days a week can you train?
    Four or Five.
    And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Like the look of the boards plan
    Why are you running this marathon?
    I spectated at last year's, at the 12mile mark and later at the 23mile. I was awe inspired to see people still pushing it at that latter point. The farthest I had ran at that point was about 8k and to see people who were heavier than me, or a lot older than me still fighting just blew me away. I thought before then that I was about three years away from doing it, but I made my mind up right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Room for another one to join? :) I've been running on and off for a few years but made a New Years resolution to get back in properly this year. And for the first time in years I stuck to it!! By mid April I was up to about 10miles but with weddings and holidays since then I've lost a bit of that stamina. Back on form though this week and running 3 miles Monday, 5 miles today, have planned parkrun on Saturday (3 miles) and then 6.5mile lsr on Sunday.

Had a look through wubble wubble's plan and looks great, thanks a mil! Should I just maintain my distances for now until that plan starts at the end of June? Up to April I was adding a km a week to my long run so if I continued that it would put me way off wubbles plan by the time I start.

Haven't yet signed up for DCM, think I'm still hedging my bets :o big commitment to make! I'm lucky in that I have both of my parents there as running buddies. They've both done the DCM (my dad is a club runner and has done it 15/16 times I think) so both are well versed on the prep required. Still, very nervous about entering! When does entry close?

Hi Michellenman,

Always room for more here :)

I would say try and build up those distances if you can, but gradually i.e. no more than 10% each week, until you get to the start of our plans.

It is indeed a big commitment, fair play to your dad running it so many times! Doubt if I'll get near that number of marathons in total, let alone just Dublin ones. Don't be nervous about entering! It's a big challenge, but one you should look forward to. And if you're feeling nervous in the lead up, or on the day itself, sure that's only natural.

Last year the organisers reached their upper limit in August IIRC. There's been an explosion in this race's popularity in the last couple of years, no doubt increased by the superb Novices threads here in previous years ;)
    Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    *Sneaking in my good wishes belatedly* :o You are all in great hands and about to embark on a life-changing few months. Enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by :) I'm expecting the time to fly, especially once the plans start and actual races are being run!

thunderdog wrote: »
    I've been prowling on the thread now for the last week or two, and its time to throw my (boards) name into the hat. I got into running in 09/10 and did the DCM in 09 and 10 (feel free to boot me out of the thread!). 09 I did some very unstructured training and came in at 4.18. I said never again, did a few half marathons the following year and get coaxed into the DCM the following year (very late entry). 4.08. I very much struggled in both races. After the the 2nd attempt at the marathon I gave up running completely. Dabbled in the gym/crossfit since, but I definitely feel Im back to square one with the running! Started back running in Jan of this year.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs?

HM - 2010: 1.46 (I think)
    10M - 2010: (Cant remember!)
    5M - May 17-Terenure 5 mile. 37.07
    5k - Early 17-Marlay parkrun. 22.48

No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 2 8k runs during the week, and a long run 10-16m on a Sunday. I do the odd parkrun, and some interval training when I can fit it in.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?

I feel like the DCM beat me the last time, so I would to finish in 3.40 for 2017, but realistically anything under 4 hours would be great.

I can commit to 4 training sessions a week. In terms of training plans, my other half runs for a running a club (unfortunately I cant commit to the club myself), so she has sent me their training schedule. So I will try mirror that as much as I can.

Why are you running this marathon? As above,I have attempted the marathon a good while ago and it completely destroyed me! For me I'd like to give it one last go, before I have kids etc (got married last year), as after this year I will never have as much free time as I have now!

Not to take the love of running out of the marathon or anything, but this year i will treat it as an exam i.e. you need to get the hours of study/training in to nail the exam/race. All about the preparation (which I have failed to do effectively in the past!)

Best of luck to everyone here. Approx when is everyones full marathon training starting?

Hi thunderdog,

Welcome to the thread! There's some excellent times in there, irrespective of how far they go back.

Just a note on the LSRs. One major mistake I made coming up to my first marathon, was to base too much of my training on these. I had three 18 milers and two 20 milers in the 2 months approx. beforehand, with not much other running (10-12 mpw max), and training and playing GAA alongside it. Are your LSRs longer or shorter depending on how many other runs you do?
    Thanks for signing up and good luck with the study training!

Lazare wrote: »
    Hope I'm not too late to the party :)

Started running in Jan 2016, new year's resolution. Did the C25K and loved it instantly. Have been hooked ever since. I'm living for DCM ever since going along to spectate last year. My wife is due to give birth late September so I'm aiming for the Guinness World Record for first man to run a marathon having not slept for a month. Seriously though, I'm going to have to play it by ear, I'm going to fully train but I'll have to accept that life may get in the way this year.

January 2017: 5 mile: 39:14
    April 2017: 10k: 49:38
    Parkrun Nov '16: 22:15

No.
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    5k Tue morn, 5k Thurs morn and parkrun Sat is a typical week, but focusing more on meaningful training lately, did a 16k lsr last Sunday, a tempo on Tue and intervals this morning. Don't do much in terms of cross, other than sporadic pull ups.
    I want to run it all.
    Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream would be 3:30, realistic time 4:00
    How many days a week can you train?
    Four or Five.
    And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Like the look of the boards plan
    I spectated at last year's, at the 12mile mark and later at the 23mile. I was awe inspired to see people still pushing it at that latter point. The farthest I had ran at that point was about 8k and to see people who were heavier than me, or a lot older than me still fighting just blew me away. I thought before then that I was about three years away from doing it, but I made my mind up right there.

Hi Lazare,

Not too late at all, welcome aboard! I think the thread was going about three weeks before I hopped on last year. Those are excellent times considering it's less than a year and a half since you started C25k.

Fininshing LSRs with a parkrun was one of the best things I did in my training last year. You're doing tempo and interval runs already, so that should give you a bit of a head start. I'd definitely recommend the Boards plan for you.
    Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks Wubble, and thanks so much for doing this and giving over so much of your time and knowledge.

SoleDiva wrote: »
    Wise ones - I have sprained my ankle!! Quite badly it would seem but I'm hoping the doc is being overly cautious.

In all the miles I've covered, all the trails I've run, I've never done something so stupid or so SORE!

Anyway, this week I have to rest it and I will follow doctors orders. Next Wednesday it will be reassessed when the swelling subsides and I'll know whether it's two weeks or six in the lovely boot.

PLEASE can someone tell me a good news story about an ugly sprain and a successful marathon finish (I would attach a pic if I knew how and if I didn't think it would sicken you all)

X

Sorry about this SoleDiva! Best to see what happens with your visit to the doc. It's so tempting to rush back after an injury like this - take it from someone who knows! Best of luck with the recovery :)

Sorry about this! Talk about life getting in the way. You could of course make up some excuse for not going to the wedding ;)

To answer your question regarding plans, I would say that following the DCM plan to week 13 is applicable, and may well work for you. However, if you really want to shoot the lights out in your HM, I would recommend a more specific half marathon plan. Usually AFAIK these are around 12 weeks. You are of course more than welcome to stay around. Lots of training and race reports to appear here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi All, I'm throwing my hat into the ring! Signed up to DCM yesterday! I have been glued to this thread for the last couple of years so I am very excited to be joining it! Thanks Wubble for all the great advice so far!

Have you raced before?
    I recently completed the Great Ireland 10km in 1:01, was hoping to get under the 1 hr mark...next time :-)
    Park runs- 28.34, Half marathon 2015-2:24.

Do you still need to take a break during training- No (am very very slow going up hills though!!)

How much training do you currently do- 5 mile tue and Thursday with the running club, park run most saturdays, LSR at some point over the weekend, up to 10 mile now. I have v recently started running 5 mile pace on wednesday. Im following the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan. I don't do any other type of training, I know I should incorporate something else- am open to all suggestions!

What do you want to achieve? Dream time- 4:30. Most likely time- under 5.00. It takes me 11-12 mins per mile so I have a lot of work to do between now and October!

How many days can you train? I can definitely train 4 days per week, will aim for 5. I have 4 weddings to go to over the summer so that's why I have started the plan a little early. I am slightly worried about how to manage the lsrs and attend social events but I am committed to the plan so I'll just find a way :-)

Why are you running the marathon? I have been running consistently for the last year and I feel like this is the year to tackle it! It's been on the bucket list for far too long!! A fella in his late 70's who ran the Dublin marathon 4 times told me last year there'll be many the day that you think you can't run a marathon but you'll have a lifetime of knowing you did! This has stuck with me so it's time to give it a whirl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Greetings all!
    Gonna jump on this thread if that's ok, could do with any and all help with completing something like this.
    Only recently decided to give it a go, and have just pulled the trigger on registering so thought I'd join you gang.
    Thanks for taking up the mantle of such a time consuming role Wubble Wubble!

I've mostly dipped in and out of running. Never completed a full marathon, a few halfs alright.
    Trained for Cork full 2 yrs ago but a couple of things conspired to stop that attempt. Got to 24m in a training run.
    I've learned from that though, so much more confident this time! Very much looking forward to this! Hope the training is going well for everyone.

5k - Darkness Into Light May 2017 - 23:30ish
    10k - Cosaintoir 10k Oct 2009 - 50:00ish
    Half Marathon - Clonakilty Dec 2011 - 1:42ish (in my absolute prime!:D)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Approx 18-20 miles a week with the odd circuit training.

Sub 4 would be the dream, realistically be happy with sub 4:30 though.

Fortunate at the moment I'm in a position to train pretty much any day. Started with the HH Novice 2 this week to build a routine and hoping to switch to HH Int 1 on 26th June and carry that to the big day.

To have run AT LEAST one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hi, All :)

I am so excited, I can actually get out running this week my calf is better the rest and stretching have worked, I got to bootcamp this morning and after it felt so good to be doing something I have really missed exercising, running really clears the mind and lifts the spirits.

I have a question on the training plans, I notice a lot call for running 2 or 3 days in a row, do you have to train this way or can you run then rest or cross-train the next making sure I take at least 1 days rest during the week!

Advertisement