Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lazare wrote: »
    Lidl have those great value High5 packs in, picked up two of them yesterday.

Is there a list of which Lidls stock it?

I know Cabra does but havent had a chance to pop in there yet. I tried Thomas Street as its close to my job but no dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Singer wrote: »

Thanks, Singer I will enjoy reading those Links :) always good to look at all angles :) I prefer eating well and normally do not bother with anything supplement wise :D

I am happy to report, I am resting and easy to drink lots of water as I am thirsty and I feel so much better today sinus is a little sore on one side but that horrible have no energy & feel like crap is gone and I can breathe again. FX I am better tomorrow. I will be taking it easy anyway!!

The weather report is for mild weather tomorrow with sunny spells so hydrating and keeping cool while running will be my priority, I am going to have a change of clothes for when we finish. I am wearing my hydration pack and making my own healthy packed lunch to have with kids and family as it is my daughters 9th Birthday tomorrow :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Thanks, Singer I will enjoy reading those Links :) always good to look at all angles :) I prefer eating well and normally do not bother with anything supplement wise :D

I am happy to report, I am resting and easy to drink lots of water as I am thirsty and I feel so much better today sinus is a little sore on one side but that horrible have no energy & feel like crap is gone and I can breathe again. FX I am better tomorrow. I will be taking it easy anyway!!

The weather report is for mild weather tomorrow with sunny spells so hydrating and keeping cool while running will be my priority, I am going to have a change of clothes for when we finish. I am wearing my hydration pack and making my own healthy packed lunch to have with kids and family as it is my daughters 9th Birthday tomorrow :)

Delighted to hear that, by the sound sof it you sound much more motivated than a few days previous.

Im bunged up still by my cold and a little tired but not enough to stop me giving it socks tomorrow.

Im resting, getting hydrated and looking forward to getting up early tomorrow and smashing it as best as I can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

quickbeam wrote: »
    So, anybody got a handy pre-race checklist?

Toenail check tonight.
    What should go in the bag?

I'd advise a bag within a bag. It was piddling down last year and the scouts tent is half open and doesn't keep everything dry. Forecast is better(?) this year, but ya never know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Toenail check tonight.

What's that now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's that now?

It's annoying if a toenail starts cutting into ye and starts bleeding whilst running. Check the length of your nails so that this doesn't happen tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

beakerjoe wrote: »

I know Cabra does but havent had a chance to pop in there yet. I tried Thomas Street as its close to my job but no dice.

I got mine on the Nangor rd, and I know they're in Ashbourne too. None in Artane the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Singer wrote: »
    If I were you I'd race it :) But given the sessions prescribed, I'd go for the 10@MP as a consistent pace would be easier to maintain as the folks around you will generally be running at that pace. Changing the paces means you're passing and being passed for a lot of the race which can be distracting and annoying, especially in a large race.

Aim to finish up the 2 miles 10 minutes ahead of the start of the race, giving you enough time to get into position.

What he said :)

Kmagic wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit ahead of the rest of the group but hopefully this question and its answers will help ye nearer the time.

Regarding the power of the taper. I completed my 20 mile LSR today in 4 hours and 6 minutes roughly. I aimed for 12:30 pace and was generally consistent on the flat, hills were a little slower or faster up or down. Took a 10 minute refueling and loo break (paused my watch) at mile 14 and found the last 4 miles very tough going, needing to take walking breaks every few minutes.

My questions are around:

How much better off will I be after the taper? The last 6.2 seems like a mountain now, how much will i gain from the taper?

I felt really achy for stretches in the second half and know that will get worse the more i run on them i.e. the last 6.2, can i just expect to be injured after the marathon and just be happy with the achievement if i can complete it?

Any tips on other things to do during the taper? Im planning a few sports rubs and going to continue foam rolling. I'm open to anything at this stage to get me over the line.

If it wasn't for this group and the support and encouragement I've gotten here, i genuinely would only be doing the HM that day. My SO thinks marathons are a ludicrous distance that no one should do and has informed me of such, and others have commented similar, so thanks to every one of ye.

Assuming you are doing DCM.....

You will get a good benefit from the taper, you'll be fresher, the body will have recovered and the adaptations will have..... eerrmm..... adapted...... :)
    You will get a great benefit from the crowds & the adrenaline that they bring.

But the biggest benefit will come from the fact that there is still a lot of training to be done between now and race day.

Each long run will build the fitness for the next long run.
    Running while tired will bring the endurance and the strength.

In the next number of weeks the mileage rises and you will do more long runs.

Piece of cake come race day :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Quick question for AMK or anyone else who can help. AMK suggested three possible sessions for the 10 on Saturday. I was wondering if based on my planned paces I would derive more benefit or be nearly as hard as the racing I'm trying to avoid.

My PMP is 9.09 which I'll round to 9. My PHMP is 8.05 based on 2015 half. I'm guesstimating my 10 mile pace at 7.50.

Based on AMKs suggestions on page 140 the first session would give me a finish of 1:22:45, the second one 1:27:30 and the third one 1:30. Bearing in mind I think I would race it in 1:18:xx and have done an 8 mile PMP this week is there any session that jumps out as being most beneficial?

Edit: also wondering how far in advance of the race start is both ideal and practical to finish the pre race 2 miles?

Thanks in advance.

Apologies - I just noted that you have already done 8m at PMP this week.

10m at PMP will be tough, dont take it for granted.

Last year at the FD 10 (& plan similar for this year) I went out with the intention of doing 10m at MP - but if I felt fatigued at mile 4 or 5, then I'd break it up with a 0.5m jog at any stage.
    e.g. 5m PMP + 0.5m jog + 4.5m PMP / 7m PMP + 0.5m jog + 2.5m PMP

Your body will get the same stimulus so dont feel that you are taking the easy option.
    If you feel good, then run the 10m at "marathon effort" - which may be your PMP or it may be PMP + 10/20 secs - depending on how you feel.

Confused yet?? :)

So - listen to your body - as a novice, your body might not be able for 2 long PMP sessions in the one week. Dont push it if you feel overly tired.

I'd also advise taking a couple of easy days next week.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »

If i enter my 5k time, my 10k doesn't tally so i know i lack endurance as the distance increases so this will be an issue on Saturday as well no doubt :o

I've never raced 10m before so it's a guaranteed PB but as i'll be using it to base my marathon target time i'd like to feel i gave it all but didn't blow up either.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Just realised I mixed up the plan this week :( I've done all the runs as if I wasn't racing 10m this weekend but I am! So my week will look something like this by Saturday afternoon!

Mon - rest
    Tues - 7m Easy
    Wed - 5m easy with 5 x 100m strides
    Thurs - 4m easy
    Fri - Yoga class
    Sat - 10m race

It be good to see how you get on this week - racing while tired is great for endurance, but do start off conservatively - 10 miles is a strange beast to race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Toenail check tonight.
    What's that now?

Take a picture of them while you're at it so you can look back at what they used to look like the day after the Marathon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

Assuming you are doing DCM.....

You will get a good benefit from the taper, you'll be fresher, the body will have recovered and the adaptations will have..... eerrmm..... adapted...... :)
    You will get a great benefit from the crowds & the adrenaline that they bring.

But the biggest benefit will come from the fact that there is still a lot of training to be done between now and race day.

Each long run will build the fitness for the next long run.
    Running while tired will bring the endurance and the strength.

In the next number of weeks the mileage rises and you will do more long runs.

Piece of cake come race day :)

I'm looking at Kilkenny on 16th September, so my taper starts next week. Just wondering if the taper is enough to get me the extra 30% running I'll need on the day?

Managed to grab the last box of High5 gels in the Thomas St Lidl. Only went over for milk and bananas and boom, there they were. Lime flavour is new to me but I do like lime mostly. Happy to get them in before tomorrow as I might need one during the FD.

Im looking at foam rollers on Amazon, can anyone recommend on?

Also my running belt came today. Dont think Ill use it tomorrow but will test it out next weekend. Thanks for the advice guys.

It's annoying if a toenail starts cutting into ye and starts bleeding whilst running. Check the length of your nails so that this doesn't happen tomorrow.

This hasn't happened to me yet, so presumably my nails aren't too long yet?? I guess I'll know tomorrow afternoon :pac:
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Take a picture of them while you're at it so you can look back at what they used to look like the day after the Marathon. ;)

Will do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck to you all tomorrow and follow whatever you have planned for the 10 mile be it racing or a session.

Try and save a bit in the legs for the last 2 miles.

Put all the training to use if you are racing and smash it!

C

Kmagic wrote: »
    I'm looking at Kilkenny on 16th September, so my taper starts next week. Just wondering if the taper is enough to get me the extra 30% running I'll need on the day?

yeah it should be, but no marathon is easy - if they were everyone would do them :)

KK will be a lot, lot, quieter than Dublin in terms of crowd support.

The taper can be frustrating as you feel you aren't doing enough, but the fitness should be there.
    What have been your last 6-8 week long run distances??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

yeah it should be, but no marathon is easy - if they were everyone would do them :)

KK will be a lot, lot, quieter than Dublin in terms of crowd support.

The taper can be frustrating as you feel you aren't doing enough, but the fitness should be there.
    What have been your last 6-8 week long run distances??

I started HHN1 earlier with KK in mind so I'm exactly on plan. Ive done every week as prescribed, with a 5 day break due to injury. All LSRs done as per plan.

Delighted to hear that, by the sound sof it you sound much more motivated than a few days previous.

Im bunged up still by my cold and a little tired but not enough to stop me giving it socks tomorrow.

Im resting, getting hydrated and looking forward to getting up early tomorrow and smashing it as best as I can.

Great to hear your feeling better as well, the day's rest will stand to us both for tomorrow :)

Good luck tomorrow have a great run :D

Ah yes I know all about checking toenails :D nothing worse than one trying to dig a hole in the toe beside it :D

Good luck to everyone else running tomorrow let us know what you will be wearing so I can say hello as you pass me :D:D:D:D:D:D LOL

• Advertisement

Ah yes I know all about checking toenails :D nothing worse than one trying to dig a hole in the toe beside it :D

Good luck to everyone else running tomorrow let us know what you will be wearing so I can say hello as you pass me :D:D:D:D:D:D LOL

Good luck to you to and everyone else.

Ill be in the raggedy Man United Shirt (good luck charm) and blue running shorts. "State of yer outfit mate"

I'll be in my orange Fingal 10K t-shirt. I won't be passing you though but if you wait around a (long) bit after you finish you may see me crossing the line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Apologies - I just noted that you have already done 8m at PMP this week.

10m at PMP will be tough, dont take it for granted.

Last year at the FD 10 (& plan similar for this year) I went out with the intention of doing 10m at MP - but if I felt fatigued at mile 4 or 5, then I'd break it up with a 0.5m jog at any stage.
    e.g. 5m PMP + 0.5m jog + 4.5m PMP / 7m PMP + 0.5m jog + 2.5m PMP

Your body will get the same stimulus so dont feel that you are taking the easy option.
    If you feel good, then run the 10m at "marathon effort" - which may be your PMP or it may be PMP + 10/20 secs - depending on how you feel.

Confused yet?? :)

So - listen to your body - as a novice, your body might not be able for 2 long PMP sessions in the one week. Dont push it if you feel overly tired.

I'd also advise taking a couple of easy days next week.

Thanks for this. I'll give it a go but make sure to ease off if it feels too much like hard work.

Confused? Not totally! Learning as I move. As for marathon effort I expect to have at least 6 levels of effort from comfortably easy in the early miles to dying a death on two legs somewhere near UCD! I'll try to keep tomorrow at no more than somewhere in the middle.

I'll take that advice on board regarding easy days next week too. Again, thanks a million ��

Good luck to you to and everyone else.

Ill be in the raggedy Man United Shirt (good luck charm) and blue running shorts. "State of yer outfit mate"

Deadly LOL :D if it works though do not change it!
    I'll be in my orange Fingal 10K t-shirt. I won't be passing you though but if you wait around a (long) bit after you finish you may see me crossing the line. ;)

I will be keeping an eye out, you never know though LOL

I will let ye know what top I am wearing have yet to make up my mind LOL but I will be with my much taller hubby you will know me as I am the small one behind him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Just got some in Lidl Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The very best of luck to everyone running the Frank Duffy. Looking forward to the race reports. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Forecast looks good so just go out and enjoy it!

My blue t-shirt will have something supple about it. ;) And references DCM 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

It be good to see how you get on this week - racing while tired is great for endurance, but do start off conservatively - 10 miles is a strange beast to race.

And best of luck to everyone racing tomorrow :)

Muddypaws I'll keep an eye out for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Everything prepared for the morning. I dont like running in the park but let's give it a lash. Best of luck folks.

Advertisement