Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

leesider77 wrote: »
    http://www.athlone3quarter.com/

I know it's more money but think I will need some encouragement to get me through my longest LSR. Hope they don't have a cut off time ;-)

they moved it to Longwood, Co. Meath last year - but its a fantastic event and a great training run.

I was running alongside some people today who where breathing hard from mile 2/3 but still going strong at mile 8 with the same pace and breathing , is this just something we will learn in time?

Pacing is somewhat of an art form and it does take practice - it also takes a bit of risk taking where you might go out too hard and blow up or you just might make a breakthrough run on the back of it.
    Takes time to learn it, but the more you race, the better you get at it.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, question about next week. How early in the week could I do the LSR (15 mile)? I do like to get LSRs out early in the week - usually Monday - but with today's run, I want to be sensible about what's possible. How about:

Sun - fully rest
    Mon - 2-3m (aiming for 4km, so approx 2.5m)
    Tue - 15m LSR
    Wed - walk
    Thu - 4 mile
    Fri - 7 mile
    Sat - 3 mile (5km Parkrun)
    Sun - rest

Or, even with a rest day and an easy run, in between today's race and next week's LSR, would that be too soon in the week?

The above sounds ok - if you feel fatigued after 4-5 m of the LSR, then stop and do it the next day and swap your day off to Thurs.

Super reports coming in here and also I'm keeping an eye on Strava - (btw, My boards ID and my Strava account share the same last name, just in case you weren't sure..........)

For those who raced/ran the FD10 yesterday - it was an exceptionally hot day and many many (me included) found it to be a tough day at the office - so if your performance wasn't what you expected, then dont be too down in the dumps about it.

The main thing, is to keep the main thing, the main thing.
    And DCM is the 'Main Thing'.

Even if you didn't achieve your goal time yesterday, it will serve as a great workout - a 10m race is a 'monster session' and also counts as training, dont forget that.

Your body doesn't really go 'by time' in a race- it goes by effort. So the effort you gave yesterday will give the body all the stimulus it needs.

To those who did hit their targets yesterday................................ you were sandbaggin' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Super reports coming in here and also I'm keeping an eye on Strava - (btw, My boards ID and my Strava account share the same last name, just in case you weren't sure..........)

For those who raced/ran the FD10 yesterday - it was an exceptionally hot day and many many (me included) found it to be a tough day at the office - so if your performance wasn't what you expected, then dont be too down in the dumps about it.

Even if you didn't achieve your goal time yesterday, it will serve as a great workout - a 10m race is a 'monster session' and also counts as training, dont forget that.

Your body doesn't really go 'by time' in a race- it goes by effort. So the effort you gave yesterday will give the body all the stimulus it needs.

To those who did hit their targets yesterday................................ you were sandbaggin' :)

I have seen you on Strava :) mighty running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I seen your strava was thinking this novice is strong ! You did a big warm up then ran it as a session , impressive ! You must of been just ahead of me 10 seconds nice going. Well done super running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Lazare wrote: »
    Yeah, the reports are so good.

I really love this thread. Mad how you feel yourself rooting for people you've never even met.

We gotta change that soon.

Who's on for meeting up for the 16th Sep LSR?

Wouldn't matter if you're following boards or HH, we could meet up at the Garda HQ and all start from there.

Who's on?

Dying to meet you all.

I'd definitely be up for meeting up for a LSR, I don't have any running friends :( and quickbeam I run my LSRs slow too so we could run together if you liked!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 12 mile LSR - 19.42km @ 7:40 pace.

For the record, my pace for my last 12 mile. If that's not too slow for anyone then I'll be happy to run with you.

Any photos from FD10 around the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good few pics up on the Marathon Facebook page.

For the record, my pace for my last 12 mile. If that's not too slow for anyone then I'll be happy to run with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lazare wrote: »

When it flattened out and the watch beeped 15k I decided to push it on for the last. Upped the pace and overtook a few but when I hit the straight with the end about 500m away, I looked down and saw 1:18:0x and knew I had a bit of work to do so dug deep and sprinted, yelling in agony the whole way. I fell over the line in 1:19:55. A paramedic came over to me asking me was I ok, I just screamed 'Yeeahhh' at him. A high 5 type of 'yeeahhh'. lol.

What a day, what a race. So over the moon.

Very well done to everyone else. We're warriors.

You weren't wearing a green tshirt by any chance? Just saw a video with a crazy person going hell for leather for the finish line. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

muddypaws wrote: »
    You weren't wearing a green tshirt by any chance? Just saw a video with a crazy person going hell for leather for the finish line. ;)

Haha, no, that particular crazy person wasn't me. I was going crazy in a black singlet.

I actually found a pic of myself on the facebook page Scot posted about, pure agony on my face :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lazare wrote:

Meet up is open to all contributors to the thread btw, not just novices

That's very kind of you. I have a little matter in Newcastle the week before and if I'm still in one piece after that I would love to join this year's novices for a run.

If that pans out i would be happy to run with the slower novices at their chosen pace .

I'm sure more of previous years novices would join in too. Black Oil I'm look at you for us steady runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

LSR meet 16th sept? Would like to join if my foot plays ball, I'm actually in dublin that day but at a conference for most of the day. What time would people be hoping to meet at? If it's in the morning I won't be able to join unfortunately. But hopefully could do eveningtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

sillymoo wrote: »
    LSR meet 16th sept? Would like to join if my foot plays ball, I'm actually in dublin that day but at a conference for most of the day. What time would people be hoping to meet at? If it's in the morning I won't be able to join unfortunately. But hopefully could do eveningtime.

I think it's probably more likely to be morning as it's an LSR, 16 miles on Boards plan and 12 on HH afaik. From looking at Strava over the past few weeks most people seem to do them on weekend mornings.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think it's probably more likely to be morning as it's an LSR, 16 miles on Boards plan and 12 on HH afaik. From looking at Strava over the past few weeks most people seem to do them on weekend mornings.

I'll try make it where we talking about pheonix park ?

I'll try make it where we talking about pheonix park ?

Lazare mentioned meeting at somewhere like Garda HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Week 9. Decided to race the FD 10 Mile. 1st race over 10 miles so decided to go at predicted Half Marathon Pace of 09:00 per mile. Struggled mentally more than physically and needed a sprint to the line to get in 14 seconds under target. Happy with the time but not how I got it (if that makes sense).

Got careless with my eating strategy in the days before and morning of the race so need to work on that for the Half.

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | 4 Miles Easy with Strides| 10:25
    Wed | 5 Miles Easy| 10:19
    Thu | Rest |
    Fri | 2 Miles Easy with .5 at Race Pace | 10:20
    Sat | 10 Miles Race | 08:59
    Sun | 2 Miles Recovery| 10:43 On holidays for 2 weeks now so will try to get as much done as I can.

Ok so, I'm the look forward type and the half is next. Having only used the FD as a session I will have to race the half to give myself some idea of where I am at. Problem is I also want to experiment with pacers. I'm kinda sorta targeting 1:45 and pacers are 5 minutes each side of that. I'm sure there are others in the same boat irrespective of what time they are aiming for. So my question is if your target time is between pacers should you go with the slower one and move forward, try stay with the faster one or just run alone at your own pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Frank Duffy 10 Mile.

Mile 1 - 8.03

Possibly should have started at the back of wave 1 or right at the front of wave 2. Got stuck in traffic and took a bit of time to get some room.

Mile 2 - 7:45

Nice and easy going downhill. Very conscious to try and reserve energy. Was holding a bit back. In hindsight maybe should have pushed a bit more.

Mile 3 - 7.51

Still nice and easy at the start before the climbs. Plenty of power in the legs. Again trying to tell myself that just because I feel strong not to go for broke. Starting to overtake a few more people. Feeling good.

Mile 4 -7.59

The ascent continues and it's pretty much ok. I had hoped to keep an average pace of close to 7.50 but I'm not too concerned knowing I'll recover time further on.

Mile 5 - 8.00

Now I'm starting to feel leggy. Negative thoughts. Why am I even doing this running lark. It's saturday morning why am I busting my balls when I should be in bed?

Mile 6 - 8.10

Good God would this mile just end already. Meh.

Mile 7 - 7.48

I'm back baby. Shot of lucazode and suddenly the legs are pumping like ninety, the lungs are sucking in sweet clean air and the scent of that pb is back in my nostrils. Starting to overtake a lot of people now.

Mile 8 - 7.41

Bombing down the hills like a loose cannonball. Sub 78 suddenly looks like it's on.

Mile 9 - 7.41

Starting to feel a bit of burn now. But it's ok. Nearly there. I've got this. Accelerating up the long hill and leaving a lot more people in my wake.

Mile 10 - 8.01

Damn. Constant steady drag is a complete pain. The sub 78 escapes me....the finish line looms......the sub 79 ticks away on the garmin taunting me with potential promises. Turn on the rockets for the last few hundred metres and finish in 79.36.

A small improvement on my PB. Really pleased with how I managed it. Nice to get a PB and know you might have a shaved a but more off it.

The Garmin had the course at 10.12 and i notice that on strava that most other people also recorded it at 10.12. Small bit annoying cus it threw my pacing off.....anyways lesson learned for the big day.

Great support around the course. Really does make a difference and nice to just hear it and say thank you back.

Ok so, I'm the look forward type and the half is next. Having only used the FD as a session I will have to race the half to give myself some idea of where I am at. Problem is I also want to experiment with pacers. I'm kinda sorta targeting 1:45 and pacers are 5 minutes each side of that. I'm sure there are others in the same boat irrespective of what time they are aiming for. So my question is if your target time is between pacers should you go with the slower one and move forward, try stay with the faster one or just run alone at your own pace?

I reckon you're better off starting just ahead of the 1.50 pacers. From memory, I think the first half is uphill so probably better to conserve energy and use the descent over the last half to push for 1.45.

I reckon you're better off starting just ahead of the 1.50 pacers. From memory, I think the first half is uphill so probably better to conserve energy and use the descent over the last half to push for 1.45.

Do the pacers do even mile paces or allow for the fact that the first half is more uphill than the second?

• Advertisement

Do the pacers do even mile paces or allow for the fact that the first half is more uphill than the second?

I'd imagine they factor that in......but I'm going to defer to some more knowledgeable posters on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

All the FD10 reports make great reading guys, well done all! Jealous that I wasn't at it myself. My training plan had a half marathon for this weekend, and I wont be around for the Sept LSR, but I really like the idea of that 3/4 marathon for the 20m LSR! Think I'll try and get on that.
    Credit to Oylegate Half Marathon for a well run event today- loads of tea, sandwiches and buns at the finish!
    Like an eejit, went out Friday night and done the dog on it, was still in a heap last night! Felt fairly OK by morning though, and figured I'd give the half a bash anyway.
    Lot to be said for all the training so far, there was fitness in me I didn't even realise!
    Started the run hoping for 1.45-1.50 doing 8min miles, but felt strong at the off and was around 7.50 after 3 miles. Next mile slightly uphill took 8.10, followed by breezing down the far side of the same hill! Kept the push on, and was feeling like I might wane at the 8m mark, when a guy pulls alongside me who has ran 4 back to back marathons in the last week! Gave me fierce incentive to push on, and I started eyeing up a sub 1.40! Flying for the most part, my maths had me reckoning I had 4min for the final 0.6m, gave it everything and was sure I had it in the bag til I turned into the GAA grounds only to see 1:40:21 on the clock with 50 yards to go! Nearly broke my heart til I realised I was just being greedy, and to be bloody happy with my new PB! 24 hours earlier I wasn't even going to run it in my sorry state!
    Last time I go out so close to a big run though. Promise. Was absolutely drowned in sweat by the end!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I don't care about speed. More interested about pain free time on my feet right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I'm really in two minds about this HM. I've signed up as part of this race series but not sure how much benefit I'll get if it's a tough course. Don't want to de moralize myself by finding it so tough that I won't be able to visualize myself running twice as long. How is it in reality? FD and fingal were no bother but think this is a step up from a hill perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Frank Duffy 10 Mile.

Mile 1 - 8.03

Possibly should have started at the back of wave 1 or right at the front of wave 2. Got stuck in traffic and took a bit of time to get some room.

Mile 2 - 7:45

Nice and easy going downhill. Very conscious to try and reserve energy. Was holding a bit back. In hindsight maybe should have pushed a bit more.

Mile 3 - 7.51

Still nice and easy at the start before the climbs. Plenty of power in the legs. Again trying to tell myself that just because I feel strong not to go for broke. Starting to overtake a few more people. Feeling good.

Mile 4 -7.59

The ascent continues and it's pretty much ok. I had hoped to keep an average pace of close to 7.50 but I'm not too concerned knowing I'll recover time further on.

Mile 5 - 8.00

Now I'm starting to feel leggy. Negative thoughts. Why am I even doing this running lark. It's saturday morning why am I busting my balls when I should be in bed?

Mile 6 - 8.10

Good God would this mile just end already. Meh.

Mile 7 - 7.48

I'm back baby. Shot of lucazode and suddenly the legs are pumping like ninety, the lungs are sucking in sweet clean air and the scent of that pb is back in my nostrils. Starting to overtake a lot of people now.

Mile 8 - 7.41

Bombing down the hills like a loose cannonball. Sub 78 suddenly looks like it's on.

Mile 9 - 7.41

Starting to feel a bit of burn now. But it's ok. Nearly there. I've got this. Accelerating up the long hill and leaving a lot more people in my wake.

Mile 10 - 8.01

Damn. Constant steady drag is a complete pain. The sub 78 escapes me....the finish line looms......the sub 79 ticks away on the garmin taunting me with potential promises. Turn on the rockets for the last few hundred metres and finish in 79.36.

A small improvement on my PB. Really pleased with how I managed it. Nice to get a PB and know you might have a shaved a but more off it.

The Garmin had the course at 10.12 and i notice that on strava that most other people also recorded it at 10.12. Small bit annoying cus it threw my pacing off.....anyways lesson learned for the big day.

Great support around the course. Really does make a difference and nice to just hear it and say thank you back.

Great race and I love the report, I'd say it sums up what we all go through during a race.
    10.1 would be about right in terms of watches over-calculating the distance travelled. For example, in both DCM last year and London this year my Garmin logged 26.4 miles. For the marathon you can pick up a pace band at the Expo which will give you your expected time at each mile. It's a good idea to use this even just to keep your pace honest, and I would also recommend knowing your planned splits for other races just to know that, say, you're 30 seconds up at mile 5. A bit of mental arithmetic also passes the time as you run :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm really in two minds about this HM. I've signed up as part of this race series but not sure how much benefit I'll get if it's a tough course. Don't want to de moralize myself by finding it so tough that I won't be able to visualize myself running twice as long. How is it in reality? FD and fingal were no bother but think this is a step up from a hill perspective.

I found this. The hills don't seem *too* bad. I'd have that the Phoenix Park ones were worse. And the downhill second half looks almost a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Just back form vacation which I must say put me a good bit off track regarding training, between that and a bout of gastroenteritis a few weeks back training has been significantly on the light side recently and also ive been running them at too hard a pace, I need to buck up things to keep on track starting today.

That said body has been responding quite well.

I have done very little over the past two weeks

13th August - Rock N Roll Half - 1 hour 53 mins 42 seconds @ 5.22 per Km Ran it at an even pace felt good like there was more in the tank.

18th August - 8.5 Km "Feel Run" @ 5.24 per Km just went out and ran no looking at watches just purely ran based on how I was feeling. Aim was to run very comfortably within myself

23rd August - 7 Km Speed run @ 4.56 per Km bit of guilt at the lack of training grabbed my runners and ran a hard 7 km

27th August - Frank Duffy - 1 hour 22 mins 44 seconds - 10 miler @ 5.07 per Km

Happy enough in that my paces for the half and 10 miler both indicate I should be fine to go sub 4 hour if I keep disciplined in training and injury free. I just need to get back to disciplined training now that the holidays are over. !

I'm going to be racing the half myself and have a similar problem. I'd rather have your problem with pacers 5 minutes either side , if I was you i'd go just behind the 1.40 pacers and try keep them in sight if the 1.50 pacers pass you panic and try keep up!

I'm not sure myself if 1.30 is going to be a bridge to far for me , i'll need advice on what strategy to use especially as the second half of the course looks much easier. Would love to use the pacers it's just the risk of going out to fast and blowing up , but aulmanking says you gotta take a chance sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Hi All,

I have been in and out of the thread over the last few weeks. Only on my mobile so can't post correctly. I tried but I was unsuccessful. I am now following HH Advanced 1 plan, following advice from wubble wubble and AuldAManKing. It's going reasonably well. I have ran 17miles last week and 18 miles this week as LSR, 19miles next week and the first 20miler the week after so Sunday's will be busy for the next two weeks.

Last week
    Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 14.75k @ 5:12/k
    Wednesday - 6.4K
    Thursday - 3k wu, 6 x 800m @ 3:20, 3k wd
    Friday rest
    Saturday - 2.5K wu, 5k parkrun (20:30) tough course, 3.75k after
    Sunday - 29,000meters!!! @ 5:24/k

We'll done to all with the running and the racing. It's great to read race reports. I have read the last 5 pages but I'm missing most of the middle. I hope to be back here more often in future.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be racing the half myself and have a similar problem. I'd rather have your problem with pacers 5 minutes either side , if I was you i'd go just behind the 1.40 pacers and try keep them in sight if the 1.50 pacers pass you panic and try keep up!

I'm not sure myself if 1.30 is going to be a bridge to far for me , i'll need advice on what strategy to use especially as the second half of the course looks much easier. Would love to use the pacers it's just the risk of going out to fast and blowing up , but aulmanking says you gotta take a chance sometimes.

I don't see why you should have any worries about doing 1:30. Based on your 10 time you have scope to slow down your pace and with 4 weeks more training the extra 3 miles should be well within your scope at that pace. Go for it, give it socks as they say.

Advertisement