Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

half marathon on Sunday Sept 3rd in Mondello Park , flat course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm really in two minds about this HM. I've signed up as part of this race series but not sure how much benefit I'll get if it's a tough course. Don't want to de moralize myself by finding it so tough that I won't be able to visualize myself running twice as long. How is it in reality? FD and fingal were no bother but think this is a step up from a hill perspective.

It's a step up but a small one. They are inclines not hills really. Remember too that the drags are in the first half when you'll still be fresh. Plenty of time to recover on the way back. By the time you're back in Newbridge House you will have forgotten the hills and all thoughts will be switched towards the big day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I don't see why you should have any worries about doing 1:30. Based on your 10 time you have scope to slow down your pace and with 4 weeks more training the extra 3 miles should be well within your scope at that pace. Go for it, give it socks as they say.

I'm probably guilty of overthinking things ! strava can be a curse sometimes when you look at other peoples history's who ran faster 10 mile times and didn't go on to do a sub 1.30 half marathon. I think your right though i'll just man up and race this one , kinda regretting not racing the Frank Duffy not nice to leave a race feeling you didn't push yourself to the max.

I'll set out with the 1.30 pacers and smash the second half to come in under. Does anyone know what way the pacers will approach it considering second half is much easier? Even if I blow up and run 1.40 maybe that's an experience I should have pre marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm probably guilty of overthinking things ! strava can be a curse sometimes when you look at other peoples history's who ran faster 10 mile times and didn't go on to do a sub 1.30 half marathon. I think your right though i'll just man up and race this one , kinda regretting not racing the Frank Duffy not nice to leave a race feeling you didn't push yourself to the max.

I'll set out with the 1.30 pacers and smash the second half to come in under. Does anyone know what way the pacers will approach it considering second half is much easier? Even if I blow up and run 1.40 maybe that's an experience I should have pre marathon.

Haha, I forgot you hadn't 'raced' the 10! I'm running to Paddy Powers now to bet on you running sub 1:30 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Baby75 wrote: »
    Wubble Wubble were you at a corner on the path I think before we turned to the nice drag up towards the zoo wearing a black t-shirt I think ;)

Not me I'm afraid. I was in two spots, but nowhere near the zoo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

leesider77 wrote: »
    I'm really in two minds about this HM. I've signed up as part of this race series but not sure how much benefit I'll get if it's a tough course. Don't want to de moralize myself by finding it so tough that I won't be able to visualize myself running twice as long. How is it in reality? FD and fingal were no bother but think this is a step up from a hill perspective.

It looks like a tough course to me too, getting the correct pacing strategy will be important.

426400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Well I have finally recovered after the Frank Duffy.

Woke up at 8 and got a small bit of porridge and banana into me and hit the road. Parked on Park Gate Street and hoped on the shuttle bus. Probably drank too much water while on the bus though. Arrvied, got my number on and entered near the start.

Mile 1 - 7.25

I read here there was waves?!!?!?! Eeek I had no idea, I just rocked up near teh start and stood with everyone, had no idea they ahd them on the FD, oh WellHad I known I would have dropped back a bit but whats done is done. Felt good so far the buzz of the whole day really lifted me from teh off. Didnt feel the first mile at all.

Mile 2 - 7:04

Felt great downhill. Was holding a back thinking I would reserve some energy but i felt good at the time.

Mile 3 - 7.29

Still feeling good, sunny was well and truly out at this stage and the sweat was begining to get in my eyes. Was very happy so far. Saw a bald guy in a fingal shirt and he appeared to be doning well so made a point of trying to stick with him

Mile 4 - 7.38

A bit more harder as we go up hill now, feeling it in the calfs but breathing well. . Happy that my average pace is close to what I was going for in 7:30. But Im feeling my bladder is very full now, I drank too much water.... damn it.

Mile 5 - 7:49

Bladder is bothering me big time, I laugh to myself about The Simpsons Episode in New York to get me through.

Mile 6 - 8.22 Stopped for a wee, couldnt go any longer. Lesson learned. But the relief was brilliant. Lost about 30 seconds here with the pitstop and finding my rhythm again.

Mile 7 - 8.00

God this mile was torture. Feel like the wee stop killed me. Negative thoughts a plenty now, "stop, just stop" was a constant theme in my mind.

Mile 8 - 8.02

Feeling tired, but determind to keep going. My toe began hurting me about half way through the mile as we went downhill (I use teh term downhill loosely as it didnt feel like a decsent at all.

Mile 9 - 7.56

Feeling better energy wise but toe is bothering me. The feckin DJ booth with the Conor McGregor song. What an awful song to blare loud. Or Play at all. My motivation was to run by the booth as fast so I could forget that song quick.

Mile 10 - 8.21

I feel tired but keep thinking "Im almost there". I was so happy reaching the end and getting a time of 1 hr 20. Glad I did it but learned a lot of lessons today. It was my first 10 mile race so I have something to try beat next year.

Feel the wee pitsop really hurt my time, could have got an extra minute off of it at least. Toe is sore from pounding the pavement and have a little chub rub on my inner thighs but otherwise fine.

Loved the athmosphere, loved the tee shirt (wore it Sunday like a badge of honour). Cant wait for the HM in Sept.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done BJ!!
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    Mile 9 - 7.56

Feeling better energy wise but toe is bothering me. The feckin DJ booth with the Conor McGregor song. What an awful song to blare loud. Or Play at all. My motivation was to run by the booth as fast so I could forget that song quick.

God, that DJ stand was dismal. I don't know the "Conor McGregor song" so don't know what they were playing when I passed both times, but it was awful stuff, and was actually so loud that it hurt my ears in both directions.

I know there are "entertainment sections" of the DCM (and HM too?). I hope the blare coming from them is a little more bearable than that at the FD10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

When I passed the DJ/Band in Castleknock during the marathon last year they were playing Born to Run by the legend that is Springsteen.

Very apt and had a good laugh at that.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Well done BJ!!

God, that DJ stand was dismal. I don't know the "Conor McGregor song" so don't know what they were playing when I passed both times, but it was awful stuff, and was actually so loud that it hurt my ears in both directions.

I know there are "entertainment sections" of the DCM (and HM too?). I hope the blare coming from them is a little more bearable than that at the FD10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Never heard of that song and don't recall it on Saturday. Do instead read up on Sister Rosetta Tharpe - link.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

My week:

Monday - 12 mile LSR - 19.42km @ 7:40 pace.
    For the record, my pace for my last 12 mile. If that's not too slow for anyone then I'll be happy to run with you.

If this is re a meet up(?), I think that pace translates to ~ 12:20 in old money, which is in my very easy range, it's a little slower than easy, but fine. I can't do Sept 16th or 23rd due to work commitments.

If this is re a meet up(?), I think that pace translates to ~ 12:20 in old money, which is in my very easy range, it's a little slower than easy, but fine. I can't do Sept 16th or 23rd due to work commitments.

Yes. My tough going is others' very easy.

Actually I've had my name down to volunteer at Parkrun on the 16th so I'm back to meeting after for drinks again.

When I passed the DJ/Band in Castleknock during the marathon last year they were playing Born to Run by the legend that is Springsteen.

Very apt and had a good laugh at that.

Ah, now that'd be a lot more up my street than the drivel played on Saturday. ;)

One of my highlights from last year was a group of runners spontaneously singing a chorus of Old MacDonald Had a Farm in the Phoenix Park. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

We were obv very close to each other beakerjoe, that song was playing when I went through there too.

My gun time was 1:21:40, what was yours?

Okay, I'm out!

As planned, I did 2-3 miles yesterday (3.85km @ 7:12 pace) and it was actually a lot harder than it should have been. But I had a nice rest for the rest of the day and fuelled up, and went to bed early and woke this morning nervous at the prospect of 15 miles, but otherwise fine - not tired, no aches, raring to go.

I was conscious that this might just be too soon after the FD10 and had in mind AMK's advice about cutting it short after a few miles if I felt I wasn't up for it. But the first 9 or so kilometres were grand, enjoyable even. And the next 9km were tiring but doable. Then at about 19km I had to stop for about 30 seconds to cross the road at traffic, and maybe it was that, but I found it very hard to get going again. At 20km, I stopped to walk. I hadn't even made it to half marathon distance :( I thought after a short walk I might be able to run again and continue, but I just couldn't. It wasn't cramp or muscle strain or anything. It was merely pure fatigue. I completed the full distance, 24.57km at an overall pace of 8:13. But I only ran 20km of it and then had the "long walk of shame" back home.

So, feeling pretty depressed about it. I didn't even make 14 miles which was what I'd done two weeks ago, never mind go on and do 15 miles. I can't see how I can ever do 26 of them.

I'll still do the HM, but I'm feeling highly doubtful about the DCM. Obviously this is all within an hour of arriving home so at the height of my disappointment and negativity. Give it a few hours, or overnight and hopefully I'll be looking at it with different perspective again and ready to give it a shot.

First 9km done at a pace of 7:33, next 11km before I stopped was slower at 7:54. I don't feel like the problem was that I went out too quickly. Maybe it was just too soon after FD10. Maybe I really need to start looking at how I fuel. I've been resistant to "processed" fuel like gels and tried to stay with healthier options instead. Maybe I need to give up that strategy and just go with the gels so I can sustain the energy I need. I've a lot to think about.....

Okay, I'm out!

As planned, I did 2-3 miles yesterday (3.85km @ 7:12 pace) and it was actually a lot harder than it should have been. But I had a nice rest for the rest of the day and fuelled up, and went to bed early and woke this morning nervous at the prospect of 15 miles, but otherwise fine - not tired, no aches, raring to go.

I was conscious that this might just be too soon after the FD10 and had in mind AMK's advice about cutting it short after a few miles if I felt I wasn't up for it. But the first 9 or so kilometres were grand, enjoyable even. And the next 9km were tiring but doable. Then at about 19km I had to stop for about 30 seconds to cross the road at traffic, and maybe it was that, but I found it very hard to get going again. At 20km, I stopped to walk. I hadn't even made it to half marathon distance :( I thought after a short walk I might be able to run again and continue, but I just couldn't. It wasn't cramp or muscle strain or anything. It was merely pure fatigue. I completed the full distance, 24.57km at an overall pace of 8:13. But I only ran 20km of it and then had the "long walk of shame" back home.

So, feeling pretty depressed about it. I didn't even make 14 miles which was what I'd done two weeks ago, never mind go on and do 15 miles. I can't see how I can ever do 26 of them.

I'll still do the HM, but I'm feeling highly doubtful about the DCM. Obviously this is all within an hour of arriving home so at the height of my disappointment and negativity. Give it a few hours, or overnight and hopefully I'll be looking at it with different perspective again and ready to give it a shot.

First 9km done at a pace of 7:33, next 11km before I stopped was slower at 7:54. I don't feel like the problem was that I went out too quickly. Maybe it was just too soon after FD10. Maybe I really need to start looking at how I fuel. I've been resistant to "processed" fuel like gels and tried to stay with healthier options instead. Maybe I need to give up that strategy and just go with the gels so I can sustain the energy I need. I've a lot to think about.....

Dont lose heart yet QB. I think it may be a case of not giving your body enough time after the 10 Miler. You pushed yourself very hard and did extremely well on Saturday and Id say maybe your body hasnt fully recovered yet.

Going out yesterday and today for a long one was probably too much too soon after the FD.

I havent done anything since Saturday, planning a 4/5 mile today after feeling quite achy on Sunday.

Lazare wrote: »
    We were obv very close to each other beakerjoe, that song was playing when I went through there too.

My gun time was 1:21:40, what was yours?

1:20:42. I remember seeing a few guys at the last strech from the Garda club as I battled to the finish.

Also saw a girl go over her ankle in a pothole shortly before I hit the DJ booth. Her pal went to help her but she gave her best "go on without me!" to her friend. Hope she was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Not me I'm afraid. I was in two spots, but nowhere near the zoo :D

Ah, your a dark horse LOL I noticed a few people shouting support and I either gave the thumbs up or said thank you :)

Quickbeam massive well done on getting out so soon after the FD10mile and I agree with beakerjoe I say your still tired after the great run you had on Saturday, I bet you will feel better about it later on.
    I know for a fact I would have been able to attempt that today, I know 3 miles will be hard tonight.I am still tired and a little akey from Saturday. I went out for an easy cycle with my friend yesterday and I faded at the end could not wait to get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Please don't quit quickbeam. The others are right, the effort from last Saturday is still in your legs. My watch displays a 'Recovery Time' after every run. I treat it with a pinch of salt but i do glance at it as it's an indicator of how tough the run was. Usually for a 5m easy run it shows 24hours, my LSR might show 36 or max 48 hours. After Saturday's run it showed 3 Days :eek::eek::eek::eek: So honestly I'd be thinking it's very soon for any of us to be attempting an LSR so soon after an effort like last Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Quickbeam, my legs are still dead weights after Saturdays run.
    I've only done a 2 mile recovery since the race and dreading the 4 mile easy run tonight.
    I felt the same after the 10k Swords race last month so this feeling should pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I wouldn't quit yet either quickbeam , 10 mile race is much tougher than an Lsr.
    I was supposed to do a speed session yesterday or today but just went for an easy run instead as Saturday was a long session.

On that point , does anyone have a link to asics plan can't find it online anymore sub 3.30 one cheers . I've really neglected the plan the last few weeks need to start following one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I thought it was completely fine to walk LSR sessions? Especially for first timers as it's all about getting time on your feet?

I have done couple of 20/22k LSRs so far and I was knackered by the end of them - 'cool down walk home' with knees feeling stiff and almost swollen is how I would imagine a drunk cowboy would hobble home after losing his horse on a bet at the pub. Not planning to do my next LSR (24k) until Saturday. Hang in there Quickbeam, you will be more than alright I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

On that point , does anyone have a link to asics plan can't find it online anymore sub 3.30 one cheers . I've really neglected the plan the last few weeks need to start following one again.

Pretty sure WW has that plan. If not I may have downloaded it at some time so I'll check my laptop when I get home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Okay, I'm out!

This is exactly how I was feeling on Saturday, I've done longer runs, what the hell is wrong with me? if I hadn't made such a public thing about doing DCM, I would have quit on Saturday as well.

I know I've said this a couple of times, but I honestly cannot believe how naive I was about this undertaking. When you see people of different shapes, sizes and ages, doing marathons on the TV, I for one, thought, how hard can it be really? The answer is f*cking hard. It isn't just the running, its the whole eating and sleeping properly thing, I'm used to having breakfast, sometimes missing lunch because I'm too busy, or I just forget, late dinner, late to bed. Things like that have to change with this amount of exercise, its the discipline to do those things that I am worrying about - because yes, I did have to stay up to watch the last GOT at 2am on Monday morning.

My training buddy has another training buddy who unfortunately has had to decide to mainly walk DCM due to injury, she will jog some, but will walk the majority of it, she is still doing it though. Now I may end up sticking with her, who knows, when the time comes, but I will be there lining up and I will get to the end. You've paid your money, you can't get it back, or defer, you are in with this bunch of crazy people, so keep on keeping on, get the miles in, walking or running, the atmosphere on the day will be a huge lift - so I'm assured ;)

Please take heart in knowing that I was feeling exactly the same at the weekend, and I am absolutely dreading my 15 miler on Saturday, but after the 10 mile race, I now know not to push myself too hard, to jog and walk if necessary, but just to keep moving forward.

Please stick with it, there's not many of us plodders on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hello all, a friend introduced me to this group and also Strava a couple of weeks ago. Read some of it last week and more last night and thought I'd better say hello. Your posts are all great. Dublin will be my second maration having done Cork in June as my first. I'm sort of following the HHN1 plan though making my LSRs slightly longer so I did 16 miles last Saturday. Planning on 17 or 18 this weekend and then have a step back week with a 10 mile race on Saturday week. All going well. I'm not looking to break any speed records. I did Cork in 4:49 though walked a bit at 20/21 miles. I feel it was nutrition got me at that stage so hoping to fix that this time round. I ran with the 4:45 pacers and really enjoyed that. Will probably go with pacers in Dublin too though remains to be seen which ones!! My goal is to run the whole thing with no walking this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I wouldn't quit yet either quickbeam , 10 mile race is much tougher than an Lsr.
    I was supposed to do a speed session yesterday or today but just went for an easy run instead as Saturday was a long session.

Here ye go....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Okay, I'm out!

Nope - you're not out - we're not letting you leave - simple as that.

Obviously fatigue was in the legs following the FD - it takes a few days for the body to recover - it also takes a longer time for it to adapt to a training session.
    Neither has happened yet.

Don't loose heart just yet - brush off the long run and move on with the plan as is - dont try and catch up.

Keep with i til the half and I promise you will feel better - you'll also have the knowledge that you need more recovery following a longer session such as a 10m or a HM.

Keep with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Q for experienced runners here. Does anyone get headaches after long runs? Especially strenous ones like the FD10m or Fingal 10k?

On both occasions I have had really bad headaches couple of hours after the run. I ran 7k home after Fingal 10k, and I don't think I drank enough during / after or when I got home. Second half of the day was completly wasted as I couldn't lift my head - the pain was so bad it was making me nauseous. At the time I shrugged it off as dehydration, and never noticed any headaches after 20-22k LSR runs even if I don't bring any water for LSR runs.

Then I drank reasonably well after FD10m - couple of glasses of water at finish line, drank most of the lucozade that came with the goodie bag, pint of water after getting home / shower / tea. I hadn't had much breakfast and I wasn't too hungry for lunch either, and was looking forward to dinner @ Yamomori that night. I made it to Yamomori alright, but soon the headache became so bad I couldn't eat even a mouthfull of the lovely dinner that I was looking forward to - unreal headache - I am sure the noise of the open plan kitchen wasn't helping either. It went an hour or later and I ended up ordering some rubbish nachos & cheese at the Laughter Launch to keep me going. Herself now knows not to plan anything with me for 'running days'.

Can't really pin down what's causing the headaches. Current plan of action is drink a lot during / after the Half in Donabate. Not looking forward to that afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

positron wrote: »
    Q for experienced runners here. Does anyone get headaches after long runs? Especially strenous ones like the FD10m or Fingal 10k?

On both occasions I have had really bad headaches couple of hours after the run. I ran 7k home after Fingal 10k, and I don't think I drank enough during / after or when I got home. Second half of the day was completly wasted as I couldn't lift my head - the pain was so bad it was making me nauseous. At the time I shrugged it off as dehydration, and never noticed any headaches after 20-22k LSR runs even if I don't bring any water for LSR runs.

Then I drank reasonably well after FD10m - couple of glasses of water at finish line, drank most of the lucozade that came with the goodie bag, pint of water after getting home / shower / tea. I hadn't had much breakfast and I wasn't too hungry for lunch either, and was looking forward to dinner @ Yamomori that night. I made it to Yamomori alright, but soon the headache became so bad I couldn't eat even a mouthfull of the lovely dinner that I was looking forward to - unreal headache - I am sure the noise of the open plan kitchen wasn't helping either. It went an hour or later and I ended up ordering some rubbish nachos & cheese at the Laughter Launch to keep me going. Herself now knows not to plan anything with me for 'running days'.

Can't really pin down what's causing the headaches. Current plan of action is drink a lot during / after the Half in Donabate. Not looking forward to that afternoon.

I do occasionally yes and i always put it down to dehydration. I try to drink more afterwards and it helps but the trick is to drink more in the 2-3 days before a hard session or a race.

Advertisement