Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'm not an experienced runner, but would say dehydration as well.

Dogs, not humans, but the most important thing when running sled dogs, is to make sure they are hydrated well before the run, even more so than after, so we bait their water to ensure they drink it. Humans shouldn't need baited water, as they understand why you need to drink, but it is the pre exercise hydration that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Muddypaws well said :) and I love G.O.T I watched it last night though lol

positron yes I have done in the past, after the Irish 5 mile and an adventure race and a fast 10KM I really noticed it and I think it was dehydration or not eating quick enough when I finished. but I know they can be caused by the exercise itself I think exertion headaches ( I think this might be more the cause if it was happening all the time)

Now, I make sure I am hydrated before hand and have water when running, I have a snack as soon as I am finished banana works great and have a meal soon after I was fine on Saturday after the 10Mile felt great apart from sore legs and feeling tired :) I also make sure I have pain relief just in case.

Maybe it is a sign our bodies are still adjusting to the extra demands and will go when we adjust!

PS, do not google it :cool: :eek: I did the first time it happened to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

positron wrote: »
    Q for experienced runners here. Does anyone get headaches after long runs? Especially strenous ones like the FD10m or Fingal 10k?

Yes and during my LSR the other day too. I've also had that aura that migraine starts with a few times as well. I used to add zero tablets to drinks twice daily for 2-3 days before my long runs and I forgot to do that last week. I think it helps. My doctor told me take diarolyte twice daily while training but I don't like it so use zero tablets instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Q for experienced runners here. Does anyone get headaches after long runs? Especially strenous ones like the FD10m or Fingal 10k?

On both occasions I have had really bad headaches couple of hours after the run. I ran 7k home after Fingal 10k, and I don't think I drank enough during / after or when I got home. Second half of the day was completly wasted as I couldn't lift my head - the pain was so bad it was making me nauseous. At the time I shrugged it off as dehydration, and never noticed any headaches after 20-22k LSR runs even if I don't bring any water for LSR runs.

Then I drank reasonably well after FD10m - couple of glasses of water at finish line, drank most of the lucozade that came with the goodie bag, pint of water after getting home / shower / tea. I hadn't had much breakfast and I wasn't too hungry for lunch either, and was looking forward to dinner @ Yamomori that night. I made it to Yamomori alright, but soon the headache became so bad I couldn't eat even a mouthfull of the lovely dinner that I was looking forward to - unreal headache - I am sure the noise of the open plan kitchen wasn't helping either. It went an hour or later and I ended up ordering some rubbish nachos & cheese at the Laughter Launch to keep me going. Herself now knows not to plan anything with me for 'running days'.

Can't really pin down what's causing the headaches. Current plan of action is drink a lot during / after the Half in Donabate. Not looking forward to that afternoon.

If you think you're drinking enough water, and especially if you haven't eaten well before/after, it could also be headache due to hyponatremia - you've lost loads of salts and not replaced any. Try switching at least some of your hydration to electrolyte drinks and it should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

So a couple of weeks since I've posted here - my iliac crest pain didn't settle and ended up getting worse, and spread to my back so I ended up going to the physio. He reckons it's coming from my SI joint and I've had to lay off the running for the past few weeks, which is disheartening and frustrating and I'm really beginning to wonder if I'll make it to DCM. I've done a handful of short runs on grass, swimming, a bit on the bike, although after 4 hours and 100k in miserable cold wet weather last weekend I'd be happy if I never saw my bike again! I really want to get back running!! I was back at physio yesterday - more needles, more exercises and I can run to tolerance - but build up slowly - which is going to be difficult since I've got a marathon to train for :)! Anyway. Out this morning 3.5m and back feels ok after it. I'll try and build up and hopefully get to something approximating a LSR by the weekend. It won't be the 15m that are due, so there'll be a bit of crunching of plans to try and get me back in the game.

Quickbeam, I think it's unanimous - you're not giving up. So long as you've two legs that can move you're sticking with us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Dont take the advice of some random message board for this.
    I'd advise a visit to a GP - could be nothing more than dehydration - but do check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

For what it's worth I had headache after frank duffy also and so did a mate I was talking to later , reckon it's dehydration but as AMK just said if your concerned get proper advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im finding things hard this week. Havent done anything since the FD and I think the problem is sleep.

Stayed up to watch the fight on Sat, well I went to bed at 11 and woke up at 4. But sadly at 7 that morning my 2 year old woke up complaining of a pain in her belly and runny nappys soon followed. So after a bad day of sickness we brought her to Temple Street at 10pm the next night which meant I didnt get to bed until 230am Monday morning. Got 7 hours sleep that night and another 7 last night as my daughters sleep clock is off as a result of the late night hospital trip.

Plan to run 4/5 miles tonight at 7, but Im hitting the wall sleep wise in work. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, I'm out!

As planned, I did 2-3 miles yesterday (3.85km @ 7:12 pace) and it was actually a lot harder than it should have been.

Doing 3 miles and then a 15 mile on the back of a 10 mile is not recommended. No wonder you couldn't finish

Lazare wrote: »
    We were obv very close to each other beakerjoe, that song was playing when I went through there too.

My gun time was 1:21:40, what was yours?

That song was playing when I went by and my gun time was 1.31 so he must have had it on loop Father Ted style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Anyone else feel like they've a hit a bit of a slump post 10m race. I don't know if it's the race itself and how it went for me or whether i'm just tired or what but i feel very lethargic and demotivated yesterday and today. I did 3m recovery on Sunday and took a rest day yesterday. Thought i'd be raring to go today but i'm not feeling any joy at the thought of lacing up later on :o

So much going on at the moment with back to school as well, my kid's have 7 different after school activities between them and then there's homework and all that jazz, i work when they're in school so honestly don't know when i'm going to fit in running as well as running after them & chauffeuring etc. Then there's a birthday party nearly every weekend as well between them. Kids nowadays have the life of it :rolleyes:

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im finding things hard this week. Havent done anything since the FD and I think the problem is sleep.

Stayed up to watch the fight on Sat, well I went to bed at 11 and woke up at 4. But sadly at 7 that morning my 2 year old woke up complaining of a pain in her belly and runny nappys soon followed. So after a bad day of sickness we brought her to Temple Street at 10pm the next night which meant I didnt get to bed until 230am Monday morning. Got 7 hours sleep that night and another 7 last night as my daughters sleep clock is off as a result of the late night hospital trip.

Plan to run 4/5 miles tonight at 7, but Im hitting the wall sleep wise in work. :(

I hope you get a goods night sleep tonight my 4 and 21 month old had me up a lot last night and I am feeling it today so you must be wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Baby75 wrote: »
    I hope you get a goods night sleep tonight my 4 and 21 month old had me up a lot last night and I am feeling it today so you must be wrecked

Kids come first..... raising them is more crueling than 100 ironmans back to back, but its even more rewarding.

ariana` wrote: »
    Thought i'd be raring to go today but i'm not feeling any joy at the thought of lacing up later on :o

You'll feel great after the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

I hope she's back to herself soon, poor dote, it's not easy when they're sick :(

I hope tonight is better for them and for you.
    RasTa wrote: »
    You'll feel great after the run.

Probably :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭deisedude

A little late again with my log from last week

Monday was a recovery track session 8*200m with 200m recovery and 2 mile cool down

Tuesday 5 Miles Easy 8:05 avg page per mile

Wednesday Rest

Thursday 5 Miles in the Wood

Friday I ran a 4 mile race. Went hard for a PB tring to maintain 6:30 per mile. Looked at my watch 2.9 miles in and realised I was on to beat my 5K PB in the race which was cool. Hung on for 25:53

Saturday - Did a point to point run with club and carpooled back. Was meant to do 18 and ended up with 18.8 miles at 8:35 average page

Sunday - Cycled the Waterford Greenway from Dungarvan to Kilmacthomas and back. 26 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

3 mile easy in the plan today so decided to mix it up a bit. First mile was fast easy, second mile I slowed down to normal easy, then 3rd mile I walked fast. I wanted to record the difference between walking and running, about 3 minutes per mile, which is more than I thought it would be.

Quite pleased though as I often feel that my running is just walking with a different style, turns out I am actually running

3 miles very easy my legs felt tired so I stuck with a nice group to keep an easy pace when we got back to the club we did 30 minutes core and leg exercises and my legs felt so much better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Hi beakerjoe, haven't been following the thread closely so not sure how your training has been going, but would just say that a break of a couple of days, particularly short easy runs, won't do you any harm between a couple of decent LSR's. Sometimes real life just gets in the way, any of us parents have all been there. Get back on track thurs/fri and particularly by the weekend LSR and you'll be grand.

Heading away on holidays for 5 days on Saturday 9th September but it has me wondering when to do my long run?

Supposed to do 18 that weekend which I would have to do Thursday night as Friday I'll be driving to Dublin

This week is supposed to be a step down week to 13 miles. I know its not an ideal and there is some science as to why the plan goes up and down but would it make much difference if I did 18 this weekend instead and 13 Thursday week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I'm no expert but I have juggled around my LSRs to suit my plan.

e.g I was due to do 16 miles last weekend and step back this week but having signed up for the Frank Duffy I did the 10 mile last week as my step back (even though I raced the FD) and I'm doing the 16 miles this week instead.

no plan is absolute once your getting the miles in you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Was away for a few days with the kids so only catching up now. Quickbeam - please don't give up! As muddypaws said there are not too many plodders on here and reading your training logs doesn't make me feel too insane for attempting DCM. For what it's worth I'm feeling exhausted this week too and I didn't even run the FD hard. Think our bodies are getting used to the extra load. WW gave me advice about allowing proper time to recover after LSRs and I think you need to ensure you do this too. A plan is just an outline but don't put yourself under too much pressure to follow it to the letter. If your body wants to do less one week then listen to it. I was devastated when I had to take a break when I was injured but I keep telling myself that it's still a great achievement to run say 20 miles so whatever happens I'm going to line up in October and if I have to walk a few miles then there is no shame in it. You never know if you feel less pressurized you might start to enjoy your runs more and remember that you have already achieved more than the vast majority of people in the world by covering the mileage you have completed to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Tiredness seems to be a common topic in a lot of the posts this week. The level of tiredness you are felling now is all new especially to anyone relatively new to running. You should be feeling tired now , you are putting your body through stuff these last few months that's all new to it.

Its all part of the training having you run on tired legs so that when you are fresh on the day as you will be ready and better prepared than many of those around you for what lies ahead.

You are nearly there now, in another few weeks you will be looking at the plan and thinking anything under half marathon distance is a doodle. Stick to the plan but if you feel you need to miss one of the midweek easy runs don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm really enjoying following your progress this year , the support you show for each other is brilliant, keep at it , the next few weeks will fly by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I've been tired this week as well glad it's not just me , I'm normally tired anyway with two kids that don't sleep that much but last two runs I've been looking out the window thinking meh do I really have to do this !

It's all new , every time I run now I think about marathon pace times etc and wonder can I really do this , I go from thinking I'm not running this marathon at all to thinking I'm going sub 3.15 in the space of an hours run.

Something strange happened this morning I was knackered got up and ran to work started slow but then started concentrating on my arm swing I started to notice the faster I swing my arms the faster I seem to run, ended up cruising at faster than marathon pace for last few miles . I just had to remind myself to keep swinging my arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

deisedude wrote: »
    Heading away on holidays for 5 days on Saturday 9th September but it has me wondering when to do my long run?

Supposed to do 18 that weekend which I would have to do Thursday night as Friday I'll be driving to Dublin

This week is supposed to be a step down week to 13 miles. I know its not an ideal and there is some science as to why the plan goes up and down but would it make much difference if I did 18 this weekend instead and 13 Thursday week?

Should be ok I reckon? Only thing is, with a recent race in the bag as well, don't be afraid to drop the pace if you think it's necessary.

Who attempted to do their 20 or so mile LSR on a ship last year? Still laughing at their report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

60 Days To Go !!!

Lots going on in the lives of DCM Novices right now. Holidays about to be undertaken (or just back from) More traffic to be negotiated on the roads. For those of you with kids, schools starting back and all the extra fun and games that it can involve.

Best of all as we move towards September, the mileage on both HHN1 and Boards plans heads towards the highest point. For those of you still feeling tired after the Frank Duffy 10 or other similar races at the weekend, don't worry, as most of you will never have raced such a long distance before, and hence it will take longer for you to adapt to it. As TM says, tired legs are to be expected at this stage. Hence, pacing becomes all the more important as the runs get longer. Remember, from about three weeks out the mileage drops during what's known as taper time.

So happy to report more sleep was had last night :D

I am so glad to hear the tiredness we are all feeling will pass :)

I woke up with a slight pain in my left side butt area :confused: it was a little tight a few weeks back but with stretching and exercises it went. I am hoping it is nothing but will go get it checked out if it does not go

D3PO wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I have juggled around my LSRs to suit my plan.

e.g I was due to do 16 miles last weekend and step back this week but having signed up for the Frank Duffy I did the 10 mile last week as my step back (even though I raced the FD) and I'm doing the 16 miles this week instead.

no plan is absolute once your getting the miles in you should be fine.
    Should be ok I reckon? Only thing is, with a recent race in the bag as well, don't be afraid to drop the pace if you think it's necessary.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just needed reassuring I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So happy to report more sleep was had last night :D

I am so glad to hear the tiredness we are all feeling will pass :)

I woke up with a slight pain in my left side butt area :confused: it was a little tight a few weeks back but with stretching and exercises it went. I am hoping it is nothing but will go get it checked out if it does not go

I'll join the list of the tired and weary! To be honest I kinda expected it before now. Yesterday I was like something from the a zombie movie! The increased miles plus 3 weeks of 4am starts in work has me dead on my feet. Strangely though it's when I run that the tiredness disipates.

As regards your left butt, and with consideration that any advice in here should be treated for what it is, it sounds like your glute. Take care of it if so. Glute stretches after exercise and foam rolling should help.

Advertisement