Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Last night, despite being tired I hit a 3.1 mile run. Fairly slow pace as I was still feeling achy but I did it despite no really enjoying it.

I had a much better sleep last night, feel much more energtic today. However I have some a little knee issue still since saturday that i had hoped would go away. Its not pain but a discomfort as I run under my right knee cap.

The plan says 6 miles today but I think Ill go easy and just do 4 and then 3 tomorrow and my LSR on Sunday, which is due to be 15m but may do less.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Is there an app that I can pre instruct what route I want to run and it will direct me via my phone.? Thinking i'll run my 20m in a couple of weeks from roughly Myos in Castleknock to the end of the DCM route but once I come out of the park, I'll be lost. No idea of the south side of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Is there an app that I can pre instruct what route I want to run and it will direct me via my phone.? Thinking i'll run my 20m in a couple of weeks from roughly Myos in Castleknock to the end of the DCM route but once I come out of the park, I'll be lost. No idea of the south side of the city.

https://www.rungoapp.com/

You should be able to find DCM routes that have already been saved, I know I saved a few last year.

You can create a route on the website here, a bit easier than doing it on the phone. https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/new

You could use google maps to map out your run and the directions first and have strava in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

RunGo was recommended on here i think and i've used it since. You plot your route in advance and then hit start/stop. I've found it very handy for the long runs to get the distance right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

24 hours later and I'm feeling a bit better. Thanks everybody for the words of support!!! :o:)

The plan for the rest of this week is to continue with the plan, ie, do my 3, 4 and 7 miles. I really enjoy runs up to about 10-12km, so these are ideal lengths for me. After the marathon I'll probably stick to runs and races of about that length.

Next week I'll try the 16 miles and see how I get on. :eek:

Worst comes to worst, I've done the maths. If I did the marathon like I did this week's LSR, ie, ran the first 20km (would take me up to about Dolphin's Barn) at a 7:45 pace, and walk the rest at a 10:13 pace (which is the pace I did my "walk of shame" home at), then I'll still cross the finish in 6:22. My big fear is that I'd have been still on the course when the roads reopened after the 7 hour limit, so I guess I would still come in within the limit, which is reassuring!

In other news ... I mentioned a few times on here, I think, that the reason I took up running was to help my weight loss along. I had my weekly weigh-in this morning and can report that I have now reached goal!! And a week earlier than expected too, which I think makes up a lot for the disasterous run. When I say "goal", I merely mean that I've now a BMI in the "normal" range, so officially no longer over-weight. I've further goals to get a bit more weight off which should take another month or two (depending on where I want to stop). But I'm delighted with this today. It's been a looooooong time coming. I'd be embarrassed to tell you even how long. But good, happy, news!! :):D

https://www.rungoapp.com/

You should be able to find DCM routes that have already been saved, I know I saved a few last year.

You can create a route on the website here, a bit easier than doing it on the phone. https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/new

Great thanks, found exactly what I was after

quickbeam wrote: »
    24 hours later and I'm feeling a bit better. Thanks everybody for the words of support!!! :o:)

The plan for the rest of this week is to continue with the plan, ie, do my 3, 4 and 7 miles. I really enjoy runs up to about 10-12km, so these are ideal lengths for me. After the marathon I'll probably stick to runs and races of about that length.

Next week I'll try the 16 miles and see how I get on. :eek:

Worst comes to worst, I've done the maths. If I did the marathon like I did this week's LSR, ie, ran the first 20km (would take me up to about Dolphin's Barn) at a 7:45 pace, and walk the rest at a 10:13 pace (which is the pace I did my "walk of shame" home at), then I'll still cross the finish in 6:22. My big fear is that I'd have been still on the course when the roads reopened after the 7 hour limit, so I guess I would still come in within the limit, which is reassuring!

In other news ... I mentioned a few times on here, I think, that the reason I took up running was to help my weight loss along. I had my weekly weigh-in this morning and can report that I have now reached goal!! And a week earlier than expected too, which I think makes up a lot for the disasterous run. When I say "goal", I merely mean that I've now a BMI in the "normal" range, so officially no longer over-weight. I've further goals to get a bit more weight off which should take another month or two (depending on where I want to stop). But I'm delighted with this today. It's been a looooooong time coming. I'd be embarrassed to tell you even how long. But good, happy, news!! :):D

Firstly dont think of the worst case scenario, think of the best. Once your body recovers from the punishment you put it through the last 3-4 days, your body will be better for it.

I assure you on the day you'll feel great and raring to go. You've worked hard ove rthe last few months and it will pay dividends come Halloween weekend.

Congrats on the weight loss, Im hoping I can lose my spare tyre or at least shave an inch off it. Im 6ft, 33 years old, and lean bar my belly and weigh 14.1 stone after being 15 stone back in May so Im hoping i can keep losing weight myself by race time in October. You'll only get fitter QB, keep it up!

Brilliant achievement quickbeam, well done you, you see if you can do that you can do anything. It takes guts, hard work, patience and consistency to lose a significant amount of weight... and those exact things will be what will get you through the marathon training and event as well, you've got it made, go girl ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Last night, despite being tired I hit a 3.1 mile run. Fairly slow pace as I was still feeling achy but I did it despite no really enjoying it.

I had a much better sleep last night, feel much more energtic today. However I have some a little knee issue still since saturday that i had hoped would go away. Its not pain but a discomfort as I run under my right knee cap.

The plan says 6 miles today but I think Ill go easy and just do 4 and then 3 tomorrow and my LSR on Sunday, which is due to be 15m but may do less.

Remembering the advice given to us re pacing early in this thread comes to mind. Maybe rather than reduce the distance you could slow down the runs and ease the stresses on the body. I see that your fairly slow pace was within 20 seconds of your 10 mile race pace. Make the easy runs VERY EASY and the slow ones VERY slow. I know you've done the DCM before and the same rules as apply to us total newbies may not apply but on the boards plan the only runs in 18 weeks that are faster than PMP are the race series. Everything else is easy and recovery pace apart from the once a week PMP runs. I was feeling great for 9 weeks until I did 2 consecutive 10 milers one day after the other. Too fast, too long or too often only increases risks.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Brilliant achievement quickbeam, well done you, you see if you can do that you can do anything. It takes guts, hard work, patience and consistency to lose a significant amount of weight... and those exact things will be what will get you through the marathon training and event as well, you've got it made, go girl ;)

It takes sacrifice and discipline too. I bought a tub of Hagen Daas last weekend afte rthe FD but have stayed away from it. Thats a big deal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I had a much better sleep last night, feel much more energtic today. However I have some a little knee issue still since saturday that i had hoped would go away. Its not pain but a discomfort as I run under my right knee cap

I have that exact pain under my left knee cap since Saturday too. I didn't run last night and not sure about tonight either, I really don't want to miss my LSR on sat though.
    I've also been foam rolling that leg a good bit and it's seems to have helped a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had a great session this morning, did 7.5m at MP instead of 6, due to a bit of a detour mid way. Wanted to go on and do 8 but I had to head home to get ready for work.

Calfs are tight now but damn it felt good.

Wednesday used to be a boring day whoda thunk I would grow to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

skyblue46 wrote: »
    As regards your left butt, and with consideration that any advice in here should be treated for what it is, it sounds like your glute. Take care of it if so. Glute stretches after exercise and foam rolling should help.

I am going to get on that today I found some more stretches to do, if it does not ease off I will go to doc or physio
    I was just going to post the same link, glad you got sorted :)

I am so glad you're feeling better and a huge well done on reaching a weight loss goal that is brilliant and do not feel embarrassed about how long it's taken, slow and steady wins the race ;) I lose slowly as well so am right with you. I am still a long way off from my goal weight.

beakerjoe fair play! little changes add up :)

Lazare wrote: »
    Had a great session this morning, did 7.5m at MP instead of 6, due to a bit of a detour mid way. Wanted to go on and do 8 but I had to head home to get ready for work.

Great stuff! Heading out shortly to do mine. I was thinking of tweaking the plan too, maybe throw in a mile or two of PHMP in the middle. Not sure whether my aging limbs and being up since 2.30am will allow it though.

Enjoy reading your updates as you are the only other person besides myself who seems to be basing things on the Boards plan that I can see posting here.

D

Delighted you're feeling better today quickbeam. I ran/walked the marathon last year due to sickness and there was loads of people doing the same. I ended up chatting to so many people along the way and it was lovely hearing people's stories. One lady actually turned around and ran back for me cause she saw I was struggling!!

Congratulations on the weight loss too, great achievement x

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Great stuff. I don't know how you manage to get up in the mornings before work to do your runs. I am firmly a grumpy sod in the morning. Not a chance of me doing the Boards session that early.

Great achievement. Don't sell yourself short, you achieved your goal. Doesn't matter how long it took you did it. One of the best pieces of advice I got on my weight loss journey was to "chase progression, not perfection". I think it equally applies to our training for DCM.

Onwards and upwards!

Great stuff! Heading out shortly to do mine. I was thinking of tweaking the plan too, maybe throw in a mile or two of PHMP in the middle. Not sure whether my aging limbs and being up since 2.30am will allow it though.

Enjoy reading your updates as you are the only other person besides myself who seems to be basing things on the Boards plan that I can see posting here.

I'm doing the Boards plan also though maybe its not as obvious because i'm a little slower :o I did 8m last night with 6m @ PMP. I wasn't looking forward too it and found myself looking for any excuse possible to postpone but in the end i went. The first 2m @ PMP was quite hard to hit the pace (it was very hilly in my defense :p) but once i got into it it was fine and i enjoyed the session. The rest of the week is easy runs now which i'm looking forward too :)
    Delighted you're feeling better today quickbeam. I ran/walked the marathon last year due to sickness and there was loads of people doing the same. I ended up chatting to so many people along the way and it was lovely hearing people's stories. One lady actually turned around and ran back for me cause she saw I was struggling!!

Congratulations on the weight loss too, great achievement x

That's a lovely thing to do.

I'm doing the Boards plan also though maybe its not as obvious because i'm a little slower :o I did 8m last night with 6m @ PMP. I wasn't looking forward too it and found myself looking for any excuse possible to postpone but in the end i went. The first 2m @ PMP was quite hard to hit the pace (it was very hilly in my defense :p) but once i got into it it was fine and i enjoyed the session. The rest of the week is easy runs now which i'm looking forward too :)

That's a lovely thing to do.

I am also doing the Boards plan too but I have changed it a small bit as I am still going to the gym twice a week.

My pacing is a bit all over the shop. Some runs are way too fast, some are way too slow. I have parked worrying about it and going more on "feel" e.g. easy runs just going at what feels easy and sustainable rather than worrying what the watch says.

The exception is for the Boards session on which I am trying to push and keep a certain pace (usually HMP so far).

• Advertisement

I'm doing the Boards plan also though maybe its not as obvious because i'm a little slower :o I did 8m last night with 6m @ PMP. I wasn't looking forward too it and found myself looking for any excuse possible to postpone but in the end i went. The first 2m @ PMP was quite hard to hit the pace (it was very hilly in my defense :p) but once i got into it it was fine and i enjoyed the session. The rest of the week is easy runs now which i'm looking forward too :) .

Oh it has nothing to do with pace, sure I'm one of the slower men on the strava page. It's actually because Lazare titles his Strava runs and that I know his identity. I haven't figured you or Roland out yet! LOL. Are your runs visible to all on Strava?

Anyways I'm just arrived at the Phoenix Park now for my session. Let's do this!! :eek:

Cheers dude, was about to come on to say Ariana was following it too but see she got there before me.

Good luck with your run later, I'm constantly impressed with your work ethic.

Great stuff. I don't know how you manage to get up in the mornings before work to do your runs. I am firmly a grumpy sod in the morning. Not a chance of me doing the Boards session that early.

It's gotten easier. A couple of years ago I'd have laughed if someone told me I'd be doing this now.

Don't get me wrong it's pretty tough sometimes to drag yourself out of the bed, yesterday for instance was a slog getting up. Our three year old wakes us almost every night, so I had a pretty bad sleep but I knew I'd be feeling like crap if I missed the run, and I can't run in the evenings.

Within a few minutes you're grand though, and you feel awesome for the rest of the day.

We have a baby due the end of September so I'm sure havoc shall be played with all that. :)

The early morning runs, when you can bring yourself to do them, are great. Done and dusted for the day rather than waiting around all day and all sorts of things coming up or the mind playing tricks on you with excuses of why you can't or shouldn't go.

It's gotten easier. A couple of years ago I'd have laughed if someone told me I'd be doing this now.

Don't get me wrong it's pretty tough sometimes to drag yourself out of the bed, yesterday for instance was a slog getting up. Our three year old wakes us almost every night, so I had a pretty bad sleep but I knew I'd be feeling like crap if I missed the run, and I can't run in the evenings.

Within a few minutes you're grand though, and you feel awesome for the rest of the day.

We have a baby due the end of September so I'm sure havoc shall be played with all that. :)

It'll just be easier to get up cos you'll be up anyhow :pac:

Oooops sorry, i couldn't help myself, my bad :P

Only kidding, congrats on the pending new arrival, it's not long away now, hope all goes well and do share the news :)

If you can continue to train when looking after a new born then you will have my respect. I did nothing for six months when my girl was born. I dont envy you with the night feeds :eek:

I'm also doing the boards plan but have only recently joined strava. I'm much slower than you guys too!!

Lazare, there's a cream you can buy in Lush called Sleepy, haven't tried it myself but it's suppose to be great to help kids sleep through the night, it might be good for your 3 yr old!

Oh Jaysus! That went well.....NOT! Got out of car, started jogging, started watch, ran 500 metres or so and looked at watch to check pace was slow enough. Pace was ok but I noticed distance was still at zero. Stopped it, exited run and tried to discard the run before restarting watch. An hour and a half later its still frozen on the discarding screen! So my 2PMP, 2HMP, 2PMP was more like 10k, 5k, 10k paces....way too fast. I think the only paces I got right were warm up and cool down! Haha. Did I mention it absolutely bucketed out of the heavens for a while too? :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Oh Jaysus! That went well.....NOT! Got out of car, started jogging, started watch, ran 500 metres or so and looked at watch to check pace was slow enough. Pace was ok but I noticed distance was still at zero. Stopped it, exited run and tried to discard the run before restarting watch. An hour and a half later its still frozen on the discarding screen! So my 2PMP, 2HMP, 2PMP was more like 10k, 5k, 10k paces....way too fast. I think the only paces I got right were warm up and cool down! Haha. Did I mention it absolutely bucketed out of the heavens for a while too? :-\

I hear ya about the rain. It started as I got into Ashtown so I held off from running down the canal for a few minutes, thank God I did because it started bucketing it down about 5 minutes later!!

6.7 miles @ 9.04 mile/min pace. Took me one or two miles to get into a pace of about 9:30, first two miles were too fast, serious downhill on my route!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I'm just finished my run it was a lovely route but omg my poor legs heavy and sore now after it 7 miles in 11hr 13minutes. correction 1 hr 13 minutes, I had to really slow down for the last 2 miles or I felt like I would stop.

I hope the legs feel better for the 15miles at the weekend

Advertisement