Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Baby75 wrote: »
    I'm just finished my run it was a lovely route but omg my poor legs heavy and sore now after it 7 miles in 11hr 13minutes. I had to really slow down for the last 2 miles or I felt like I would stop.

I hope the legs feel better for the 15miles at the weekend

11 hours? Fair play ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

muddypaws wrote: »
    11 hours? Fair play ;)

LoL ooops typo can I blame my phone lol

I should have said 1hr lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

LoL ooops typo can I blame my phone lol

I should have said 1hr lol

I was impressed, serious time on your feet. Phones are worse than kids for getting you into trouble.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I was impressed, serious time on your feet. Phones are worse than kids for getting you into trouble.
    So true, Auto correct is evil :D

How is everyone feeling today, I woke up and pain is worse in my glutes hip area, I am going to make an appointment with the physio. strangely when I sit down it hurts more and feels stiff when I stand up, but I am fine walking around it eases off and had no issues when running so I hope it's easily sorted

I am wondering should I skip or reduce today's easy run

Happy running everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I am wondering should I skip or reduce today's easy run

Happy running everyone

What about going out on a small loop near home that you can cut short at any stage if needs be.?

• Advertisement

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    What about going out on a small loop near home that you can cut short at any stage if needs be.?

I have a nice easy loop near home I can try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

How many Novices go to the gym?

From reading up on other threads I can see that I should be in a gym working on my core, back and shoulders.

So do many here workout ?

Me I havent done a tap in the gym since 2013. My back and Shoulders do feel very achy after a LSR but it goes after my rest day.

Is working out essential to my training?

I generally detest gyms so no I don't do anything. I guess there's plenty of core work you could do at home if you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

beakerjoe wrote: »

From reading up on other threads I can see that I should be in a gym working on my core, back and shoulders.

Me I havent done a tap in the gym since 2013. My back and Shoulders do feel very achy after a LSR but it goes after my rest day.

I don't think it's essential to your training, if it was it would be in the training plan.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    I generally detest gyms so no I don't do anything. I guess there's plenty of core work you could do at home if you wanted

Agree with this, there's plenty you can do at home if you're not gym inclined or don't have the money to join a gym. Something as simple as a 20 min tabata work-out done 2-3 times a week to include squats, lunges, planks, dumbbell rows... could have benefits i'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I did a decent bit of gym work earlier in the year but since the mileage has upped I haven't had the time/energy. I think for me that work has definitely got me to this point uninjured. In an ideal world is still be going twice a week, but life gets in the way!

15m lsr done today last couple of miles were tough but good overall. Off to Lisbon for a short break as we speak;) Happy running for the weekend guys, may the miles float by:)

• Advertisement

I did a decent bit of gym work earlier in the year but since the mileage has upped I haven't had the time/energy. I think for me that work has definitely got me to this point uninjured. In an ideal world is still be going twice a week, but life gets in the way!

15m lsr done today last couple of miles were tough but good overall. Off to Lisbon for a short break as we speak;) Happy running for the weekend guys, may the miles float by:)

Well done. Enjoy Lisbon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

I go the gym twice a week. Mostly do strength training and follow a simple enough program.

1) main lift
    2) Kettlewell
    3) core work
    4) mobility stuff

Also do a warm up and cool down.

I don't think you neccessarily need to do it. I do it just because I enjoy it and to keep my hand in while I am concentrating on running.

You can find some good core workouts that you can do at home on darebee.com

beakerjoe, I was not going to the gym, but was going to bootcamp but have stopped even though I really enjoyed them, you could not be guaranteed what was going to be covered in the class and some days it would be great as it would be core, glutes, arms etc but a lot of the time it was all legs running on the spot burpees stairs and more running and I found it too much on the legs esp when the mileage started to ramp up, I do core work after club runs and some at home and I will get back to bootcamp again. I was also going to spin but gave it a miss this week.

Halloween Jack well done on the LSR and have a great time away

Happy to report I got out for my run and kept close to home I took it easy and felt good a nice slow 4.1 miles :D its lovely out sun is shining only problem I had today was sweat dripping into:D my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I do a one hour gym session on Mondays, mainly core work and upper body. I tend to avoid doing much leg stuff. I don't do enough glutes work though, gonna concentrate a bit on that in the coming weeks.

Listened to the body this morning and took a rest day. Barring the recovery runs it's the first run on the plan I've skipped. Feel a little down about it but keep reminding myself how vitally important recovery is. Probably went a little too hard yesterday. Going to stay out of the shoes now until the big one on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    I do a one hour gym session on Mondays, mainly core work and upper body. I tend to avoid doing much leg stuff. I don't do enough glutes work though, gonna concentrate a bit on that in the coming weeks.

Listened to the body this morning and took a rest day. Barring the recovery runs it's the first run on the plan I've skipped. Feel a little down about it but keep reminding myself how vitally important recovery is. Probably went a little too hard yesterday. Going to stay out of the shoes now until the big one on Saturday morning.

It seems a few who raced the FD are struggling this week. Presumably where there is short term pain there will be long term gain! Personally I'm happy I didn't 'race' it. In fact I'm wondering whether a flat out half will be on my agenda or not. Hope you feel strong by the weekend.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    It seems a few who raced the FD are struggling this week. Presumably where there is short term pain there will be long term gain! Personally I'm happy I didn't 'race' it. In fact I'm wondering whether a flat out half will be on my agenda or not. Hope you feel strong by the weekend.

Cheers Sean.

Do whatever you feel is right at the half, but fwiw, for me, racing the FD has filled me with confidence that I can achieve my goal time in the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cheers Sean.

Do whatever you feel is right at the half, but fwiw, for me, racing the FD has filled me with confidence that I can achieve my goal time in the big one.

Oh you can, don't worry about that! Just to fill you in why I'm reluctant to try to run faster...in 2015 I set off on this journey too, at the end of May as a recently graduated Couch 2 5k. The Fingal was 50.50, the FD 1.22 and the half 1.48. My pace hardly changed as I went up the distances as I benefitted from new runner training. But I was training too fast, got injured 3 weeks before the half but still ran it despite no running for that 3 weeks. Injury came back and the dream ended. Didn't run again until November last year, ran for 6 weeks and chased a Parkrun PB...tore hamstring and glute injury!!! That's why I'm avoiding speed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I am considering not racing the half myself. The week of Frank Duffy I altered the plan to make the week easy pre race. This week I missed another session from my imaginary plan just recovering from the Frank Duffy which I didn't even race flat out. If I race the half I'm probably looking at messing up two weeks scheduled sessions and filling the week with easy miles instead.

Oh you can, don't worry about that! Just to fill you in why I'm reluctant to try to run faster...in 2015 I set off on this journey too, at the end of May as a recently graduated Couch 2 5k. The Fingal was 50.50, the FD 1.22 and the half 1.48. My pace hardly changed as I went up the distances as I benefitted from new runner training. But I was training too fast, got injured 3 weeks before the half but still ran it despite no running for that 3 weeks. Injury came back and the dream ended. Didn't run again until November last year, ran for 6 weeks and chased a Parkrun PB...tore hamstring and glute injury!!! That's why I'm avoiding speed!!!

Oh man, that must have sucked! It's such a big fear isn't it?

I was out myself for about six weeks with an Achilles injury after running Raheny this year. Was warned not to run it bit didn't listen. Naivety caused it for me, was running too hard too often with no clue about proper recovery.

One good thing about getting injured though is the tough lesson it teaches us.

You seem to be doing all the correct things this time around by all accounts, slower paces, stamina building etc to be in a good healthy position to let loose at the half.

If you've no niggles obv.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Brrrrrr!!!! It's a cold one outside this morning. Time to invest in some long sleeves methinks.

Happy new month btw, everyone. Just to remind you, DCM is now next month :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I didn't go to the gym whilst training for last year's DCM. I started going in Nov fairly solidly until June/July of this year, haven't been back since. Keep thinking about it, but I've always generally loathed them. Podcasts help somewhat.

As it happens, I found this recently. Had to pause it a few times to get the hang of what she was doing. It made me sweat anyway. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    Brrrrrr!!!! It's a cold one outside this morning. Time to invest in some long sleeves methinks.

Penney's have got a rake of running stuff in, at least in the women's section. I got two leggings, two long sleeved tops, a light jacket, two sports bras and a pair of gloves all for €50. Serious runners might turn their nose up at shopping there but I've found their stuff good in the past. I resist the idea of spending what Elvery's or the like charge for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Kmagic

I've read elsewhere that the actual "real" marathon training takes place between runs i.e. recovery. The runs we do just work our muscles so that they can rebuild and become stronger, and we need to rest to allow that to happen. Totally changed my perspective on my wasted "rest days".

quickbeam wrote: »
    Penney's have got a rake of running stuff in, at least in the women's section. I got two leggings, two long sleeved tops, a light jacket, two sports bras and a pair of gloves all for €50. Serious runners might turn their nose up at shopping there but I've found their stuff good in the past. I resist the idea of spending what Elvery's or the like charge for the same.

Love Penny's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Best to get those LSRs out of the way early tomorrow morning as looks like some bad rain is on the way for a good bit of the country. I got caught in a torrential downpour during my run on Thursday (think rivers on sides of the roads) and it wasn't pleasant.

It's physio for me tomorrow so LSR Sunday

Good luck to everyone else 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

leesider77 wrote: »
    Best to get those LSRs out of the way early tomorrow morning as looks like some bad rain is on the way for a good bit of the country. I got caught in a torrential downpour during my run on Thursday (think rivers on sides of the roads) and it wasn't pleasant.

Ah balls, in work till 2 so no run till about 3 id imagine! :(

Its mad to think that midweek runs are now distances that would have been LSRs during the start of the plan (HHN1 anyways).

How are people getting on with testing gels/sweets etc?? What brands agree dont agree with you??

Gonna hit the sack shortly so I can get up early and tackle this monster. Excited.

If time travel was a thing my 35 year old self would be all :eek: at me being asleep before 3 am on a Fri night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Looks like a great morning for the LSR this morning.

Distances are ramping up so don't neglect the stretching and foam rolling. Fuelling was mentioned couple of posts ago so if you have not settled on gels/sweets (was always Wine Gums or Fruit Pastilles) for me then now is the time to get these nailed down.

Ticking off completing my longest runs to date was always a satisfying part of training for me.

Good luck with the training this weekend.

• Advertisement

Been using high five gels myself with no issue so far. Don't
    Mind the taste or texture of them at all

Advertisement