Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Beautiful, peaceful morning - dewy grass and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Been using high five gels myself with no issue so far. Don't
    Mind the taste or texture of them at all

So far I've been lucky and I seem to be able to take any gels, sweets, bars, drinks etc without stomach problems. I think 30 odd years of alcohol, fast food and any rubbish which can be consumed has left me with a very tolerant digestive system!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

[quote="skyblue46;104560526"alcohol, fast food and any rubbish[/quote]

This sounds like a good plan for the Novices post marathon meet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Only used one high five gel, citrus flavor, so far during the Frank Duffy. My LSR tomorrow will be the next time I use one. No problems yet.

Havent ran much this week, just 7 miles since the FD. Body felt fatigued and a few niggles so I rested up.

I joined a gym too so in the days when I dont run, ill do any hour in there

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Well I had to abandon ship mid long run. Heavy thunder showers started on mile 3. By mile 7 was soaked to the bone with howling wind just couldn't keep going in that and sent the SOS call to the folks to come fetch me!

The beauties of going home for a run on the Atlantic coast.

So what now....do the planned LSR tomorrow or an abridged version?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Week 8 (things aren't going to plan, losing discipline) I feel like my paces are all over the place now with the majority of my running been at or faster than PMP.

Monday 14k @ 5.06km ( I must really be a fair weather runner think this is my first wet run this year )
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday 15k @ 4.53km Run to work
    Thursday 16*400m at 80-84sec with 45 sec rest , total 12k with warm up and cool down
    FridayRest
    Saturday
    Got up early today, no breakfast just straight out the door I was hungry but had 4 gels with me planning on taking one every 7-8km. It was a lovely morning I had a 250ml bottle of water and a plan to run 24k (15 miles ) and I'd be at River Valley Parkrun for 9.30 and start straight into the race. At 10 miles there's a tap by the beach I could refill the water bottle. The plan was looking great until I left the house ran 1k or so and the elastic on my shorts snapped , had to turn back and change shorts. Got going again and eased into I always start slow got to 8k and decided to take a gel but realised I had left them in my other shorts ! had a decision to make but decided to keep going without any fuel.

I was going to miss the parkrun start unless I sped up a little so ended up running this an yet another unplanned progression run , starting at 9min mile down to 7.17 min mile for final mile. It ended up been 20 miles @ pmp , my legs felt a little heavy the last mile and I was hungry and thirsty I'm worried now that I may have messed up my marathon or left my marathon out there running 20 miles @PMP .

Sunday Rest or recovery 5-8km

Highest weekly mileage ever even if I miss tomorrow but disappointed with how my training is going no structure.

Well I had to abandon ship mid long run. Heavy thunder showers started on mile 3. By mile 7 was soaked to the bone with howling wind just couldn't keep going in that and sent the SOS call to the folks to come fetch me!

I'd wait for WW or AMK on this one as I'd hate to sabotage your marathon! That being said I know some plans have runs the day before a LSR. Personally I have gotten in a few miles the day before each one so far, very very easy paced. I'm hoping to get out for a run today too before my LSR which I will be doing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Treat this morning and the week as a learning curve; you have put in a savage session today and even though it wasn't to plan you have 1. Acknowledged that you have strayed from the proper pace which is the first step to rectifying it! 2.Just knocked out 20 miles at PMP which you have to take confidence from if not completely advisable.

This far out from the marathon I wouldn't not have thought you left you marathon out there today rest up; get out for a few easy miles tomorrow and get back on plan.

Finding the discipline in sticking to the plan is not easy (I was as guilty as any of the Novices last year of running my LSRs to quick) just be mindful of not jeopardizing the big day but being overeager.

I'm worried now that I may have messed up my marathon or left my marathon out there running 20 miles @PMP .

Sunday Rest or recovery 5-8km

Highest weekly mileage ever even if I miss tomorrow but disappointed with how my training is going no structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Baby75 wrote: »
    It's physio for me tomorrow so LSR Sunday

Good luck to everyone else 😊

Hope it's nothing too serious?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Ah balls, in work till 2 so no run till about 3 id imagine! :(

Its mad to think that midweek runs are now distances that would have been LSRs during the start of the plan (HHN1 anyways).

How are people getting on with testing gels/sweets etc?? What brands agree dont agree with you??

I tried 3 isogels ( with caffeine) today - bought a mixed pack to try the flavours on wiggle and definitely like the orange best but the other flavours are good too. It was my first run trying any sort of fueling except for some sweets when I was training for a half last year. Took them every 40 mins ( you are supposed to take them every 20 according to the pack) and was going fine until the last one when I got a stitch afterwards - I gulped some water too afterwards so could have been this too. Was happy though as no emergency loo stops were needed!
    Took over a week to arrive from wiggle so don't order anything from there if you need it in an hurry.

• Advertisement

13 miles today. Yay! Only 2 miles behind the plan now so happy about that. First time with gels and don't know whether it was my conscious better nutrition and hydration during the week or the gels but didn't ever feel like I wanted to give up. I took it very slowly though and had 3 two minute stops ( toilet, dart crossing, buy water) and walked the 30 secs it took me to take each gel. Not too worried though as this will probably be something I'll do in DCM as well. My leg was a bit niggly but walking around now pain free so absolutely thrilled. Going to do 15 miles next week but hoping to do it Thursday as I have a wedding. Hope everyone else survived their LSR today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I was going to miss the parkrun start unless I sped up a little so ended up running this an yet another unplanned progression run , starting at 9min mile down to 7.17 min mile for final mile. It ended up been 20 miles @ pmp , my legs felt a little heavy the last mile and I was hungry and thirsty I'm worried now that I may have messed up my marathon or left my marathon out there running 20 miles @PMP .

I've heard of the runner's high, but not post-run depression...

Your run today was great. First of all, your pace today was 3:32, which based off your 5k, 10k and recent not-all-out 10 mile race times would be a very conservative time for you. I know you're not confident about your endurance, but today's 20 mile run showed that you have plenty of it. The first 12 miles of your run was at 8:20 pace, and then you sped up, with your fastest mile the 20th one (7:29). This looks like a fantastic training run for a 3:1X marathon, which I reckon you're very capable of.

Your week looks decent enough, any week that's your highest milage week is a good week - though you could obviously do with some slower running every so often :) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

That.Was.Tough!!

The last 5k anyway. Pure pain. Kept trying to think my way through it, would work for a few minutes then hell again.

That was a workout.

Had a nice lie down in Stephen's Green straight after, shoes and socks off. That was heaven.

Good thing to take from it is I felt that way for the last 5k of my first 13m LSR, and remember thinking how the hell am I going to do double this.

13m now seems like such a short distance.

It's all about stretching the pain out by a few miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Singer wrote: »
    I've heard of the runner's high, but not post-run depression...

Your run today was great. First of all, your pace today was 3:32, which based off your 5k, 10k and recent not-all-out 10 mile race times would be a very conservative time for you. I know you're not confident about your endurance, but today's 20 mile run showed that you have plenty of it. The first 12 miles of your run was at 8:20 pace, and then you sped up, with your fastest mile the 20th one (7:29). This looks like a fantastic training run for a 3:1X marathon, which I reckon you're very capable of.

Your week looks decent enough, any week that's your highest milage week is a good week - though you could obviously do with some slower running every so often :) :rolleyes:

Cheers Singer , yeah your right I feel my endurance lets me down , if I look at the calculators based on my 5k and 10k times there's a huge drop off in what I should be running that's why I'm lacking confidence. There are people I know at Parkrun who I would be comfortably ahead of but once it goes to 10k or 10 miles I am nowhere close to.

I am happy to get a 20 mile run done and be feeling fresh enough now, I just wish I could nail down a plan and stick rigidly to it , at this rate i'll be chopping and changing between 3.20/3.30/3.40 pacers on the day , I have considered starting with the 3.40 pacers as I like to build into a race and speed up second half. 3.1X would be amazing but for this year I think its a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'd imagine the advice will be to forget today and continue with the plan so do wahtever run is scheduled for tomorrow , recovery??.

Bad days are just that , we all get them, learn from it and move on.

Cheers Singer , yeah your right I feel my endurance lets me down , if I look at the calculators based on my 5k and 10k times there's a huge drop off in what I should be running that's why I'm lacking confidence. There are people I know at Parkrun who I would be comfortably ahead of but once it goes to 10k or 10 miles I am nowhere close to.

I am happy to get a 20 mile run done and be feeling fresh enough now, I just wish I could nail down a plan and stick rigidly to it , at this rate i'll be chopping and changing between 3.20/3.30/3.40 pacers on the day , I have considered starting with the 3.40 pacers as I like to build into a race and speed up second half. 3.1X would be amazing but for this year I think its a bridge too far.

I'd be with Singer on this one, a 3.1X is definitely within your compass. Maybe your endurance was an issue but today's run shows your training has sorted that out. Setting out with 3.40 pacers would be madness for someone with your pace and ( yes you are reading the next word correctly) endurance!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

How was your pace on the run?

I'd say try an abridged version, maybe 15 or 16 miles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Lsr done early, perfect running weather. I missed the target by 1km :( but it was my longest run so far. I miscalculated the route and couldn't bring myself to run past the car to get that extra 1km, I was just too fooked! So 29.5km in 3:03, not too much over the magic 3 hrs! Found the last 10km tough but I had the worst of the hills in that 10km and I was obviously tiring. My body was sore by the end, knees & hips were all giving out. But I was surprisingly ok once I got home, food, shower & stretch etc.

Glad to have it done and getting so close to the magic 20m now! Just a handful of LSRs left now, hard to believe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

leesider77 wrote: »
    Hope it's nothing too serious?

No thankfully, more of a niggle that I am getting sorted now before it becomes a problem :)

I am enjoying reading all the LSR updates :) some great running! I am watching the weather forecast and hoping it does as forecast and the rain is gone by tomorrow morning, we are up early for our LSR as hubby has to have the car down for an NCT tomorrow at 9 am and then up to my Dad's for a visit

Tomorrow LSR will be my furthest distance yet to date and this week is my biggest ever mileage, I am delighted I got out and got all the midweek runs in even if they were hard work

Fuel wise, I have not started to use anything yet, but hubby got tailwind so we are going to try that for the LSR tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday - 2-3m easy - did 3.85km @ 7:12

Tuesday - 15m LSR - did 24.57km @ 8:13 broken down approx 20km ran @ 7:44 & 4.57km walked @ 10:12 - no need to go into it all again

Wednesday - 6.35km leisurely walk

Thursday - 4m easy - did 6.19km @ 7:05 - first run after Tuesday's failed LSR, so nervous. The first half felt tough as if I'd forgotten how to run. But second half felt marvelous and I remembered why I like this form of exercise and stomped it home.

Friday - 7m easy - did 11.39km @ 7:17 - enjoyable, relatively comfortable

Saturday - 3m easy - 4.98km Parkrun @ 6:13. Okay, a PB, don't shoot me, but delighted with the result. AMK, I see you're on the results, if I'd known I'd have said hi!

Sunday - plan to rest.

Total running - 46.41km

Next week, attempt a 16 mile LSR. Rather than one big loop from my house as I've previously done, I've amended the route to several smaller circuits - psychologically it feels less scary to be less far from home. And I'll need all the help I can get, I think. I've also bought a Hi5 gel to use on it, the first time trying any sort of energy device.

Question - if I fail to run the full distance is it better to finish the full distance even if walking it, or will I just cut my losses and leave off where I stop? This week's LSR I finished but only because I had to get myself home, it wasn't by design that I'd finished the full distance. But what is the advice in this scenario?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Got up early today, no breakfast just straight out the door I was hungry but had 4 gels with me planning on taking one every 7-8km. It was a lovely morning I had a 250ml bottle of water and a plan to run 24k (15 miles ) and I'd be at River Valley Parkrun for 9.30 and start straight into the race. At 10 miles there's a tap by the beach I could refill the water bottle. The plan was looking great until I left the house ran 1k or so and the elastic on my shorts snapped , had to turn back and change shorts. Got going again and eased into I always start slow got to 8k and decided to take a gel but realised I had left them in my other shorts ! had a decision to make but decided to keep going without any fuel.

I was going to miss the parkrun start unless I sped up a little so ended up running this an yet another unplanned progression run , starting at 9min mile down to 7.17 min mile for final mile. It ended up been 20 miles @ pmp , my legs felt a little heavy the last mile and I was hungry and thirsty I'm worried now that I may have messed up my marathon or left my marathon out there running 20 miles @PMP

OMG can't believe you were able to run 20 miles @ PMP with no breakfast or fuel...... imagine what you could do if you had breakfast, you're going to smash the marathon!

Well done to everyone get their LSRs done today.

So didn't get all my runs in this week. After the Frank Duffy last weekend I had a sore knee (think it's my IT band) and wanted to rest it instead of doing more damage.
    Finally got out on Thursday morning for 4 mile easy pace. Rested yesterday and today did my 19 mile LSR @ 10:50. Glad i got it done, my pace is still up and down so that's something I need to work on.
    Happy with my fuelling, had my porridge & fruit and some brown bread before I headed out. Took a gel at 6 miles and another at 13 miles. Also had 2 bottles of water with electrolyte tabs. All were fine on the belly.
    Looking forward to a full week of training this week and a nice takeaway & a glass of wine tonight!

quickbeam wrote: »

Saturday - 3m easy - 4.98km Parkrun @ 6:13.
    ?

Well done on your PB quickbeam and also getting out again on Thursday, your confidence must really be boosted again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well done on your PB quickbeam and also getting out again on Thursday, your confidence must really be boosted again

Will answer that after next week's LSR :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Ahh, so this is what cumulative fatigue is.

Need to walk backwards down stairs, didn't help parking in a multi story earlier and forgetting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lazare wrote: »
    Had a nice lie down in Stephen's Green straight after, shoes and socks off. That was heaven.

Script must have changed, don't recall this last from last year. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

quickbeam wrote: »

Question - if I fail to run the full distance is it better to finish the full distance even if walking it, or will I just cut my losses and leave off where I stop? This week's LSR I finished but only because I had to get myself home, it wasn't by design that I'd finished the full distance. But what is the advice in this scenario?

I think you should walk and finish the distance if you can. Or you could run/walk the entire distance and maybe walk 0.5kms every 2kms? All about the time on your feet. You might surprise yourself though. Have a big pasta dinner he night before and hydrate well for a few days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done to everybody on your runs this week. I'm very happy with mine and did 17.4 miles for my LSR today and very happy with pace and fuelling. I took High 5 gels every 45 mins.

I'm worried about nutrition though. I think it's what caused me problems in Cork and I don't think the gels were enough and hit the wall at 20 miles. An experienced marathon runner said to me today that if I use them all the time for training runs I'll more or less become immune to them and will just need more and more. Does anybody have an opinion on this? He thinks I should try do my training runs without them and will then getter a bigger boost on the day. I know they don't effect my stomach so don't have that worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Back from my LSR. 15 miles @ 9:17 mile/min average, most miles were around 9:30-9:40. Distance wasn't a problem and I wasn't out of breath through any of it really, felt like a really comfortable run fatigue wise.

As skyblue knows from Strava, my knee started giving out at mile 6, got sorer at mile 10 and even worse at mile 13. Still made it the full 15 and continued running too. Definitely have to get it checked out, was doubting the big day during the run tbh. Mad what some time to yourself can get your mind up to haha.

Even if I have to run 26.2 miles with a throbbing knee, that's what will be done. Will post up my weekly report tomorrow or so, just finished a nice fillet steak, which was well deserved in my books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Ahh, so this is what cumulative fatigue is.

Need to walk backwards down stairs, didn't help parking in a multi story earlier and forgetting.

Oh no hope it does not last long

Advertisement