Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Another good week under the belt. Physio has given me the all clear but with instructions to do more stretching and foam rolling.

Dusted off the foam roller on Friday and lots of rolling and pain later I had found my calves are in a bad way so they will need a lot more work.

Ran an 80 min LSR today. Legs felt great after the rolling. Pacing was all over the place, 2 slow miles, 2 fast miles and the rest somewhere in between but really enjoyed the run.

Tried James Dunne's post running stretch routine afterwards so hope that will help down the line.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

This week's runs:
    8.46km @ 7:15 pace*
    8.56km @ 7:04 pace*
    6.36km @ 6.55 pace*
    5.13km @ 6.26pace (Parkrun) - official 5km time of 32:44

* As before, the total distance includes a warm up and cool down walk, total approximate running distance for first two is 7.3km and 5.3km for the third.

I'm happy with my week's work. I did my first solo 5km+ run in a pace less than 7 minutes for the first time, and I got a PB at Parkrun!

From next week I hope to up my first two runs by 1km, do the same again the following two weeks, and therefore by the June bank holiday be able to report back on my first 10km run. I'd nearly be tempted to up it by the full 3km all in one go, as I think I have it in me to do it, but I'll stick to the 10% rule and up it over three weeks instead.

I pretty much run my solo runs in the same spot, just increase the number of circuits I do, but once I reach 10km I'm going to branch out and find other routes to do so I don't become over comfortable with the one route.

Would it be a good idea (for those of us in Dublin anyway) to run the marathon route in stages as part of our training? There's a lot of the route that I'd be very unfamiliar with and it might be a good way to get to know it so that when the time comes it won't be as daunting (I find running in unfamiliar places difficult as you don't have the landmarks you're familiar with to guide you). The disadvantage of running the route would be that traffic would be very disruptive though, so a continuous stop-start while crossing roads won't do anything for our endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good stuff quickbeam; looks like you are setting down a marker for consistent weekly runs already.

I would definitely advocate sticking to the 10% per week at max increase in distance....I know you are feeling strong but it is best to stick to slow gradual increases.

Planning on running parts of the marathon course is a great idea....I always find that being familiar with a route will help on race day. I am lucky that Iive near the Phoenix Park so I started off running parts of the route around there then just built on that.

If you need so help with possibĺe routes around there let me know.

I also think that some of the 2016 novices had meet ups when the LSR got longer.

quickbeam wrote: »
    This week's runs:
    6.36km @ 6.55 pace*

* As before, the total distance includes a warm up and cool down walk, total approximate running distance for first two is 7.3km and 5.3km for the third.

I'm happy with my week's work. I did my first solo 5km+ run in a pace less than 7 minutes for the first time, and I got a PB at Parkrun!

From next week I hope to up my first two runs by 1km, do the same again the following two weeks, and therefore by the June bank holiday be able to report back on my first 10km run. I'd nearly be tempted to up it by the full 3km all in one go, as I think I have it in me to do it, but I'll stick to the 10% rule and up it over three weeks instead.

I pretty much run my solo runs in the same spot, just increase the number of circuits I do, but once I reach 10km I'm going to branch out and find other routes to do so I don't become over comfortable with the one route.

Would it be a good idea (for those of us in Dublin anyway) to run the marathon route in stages as part of our training? There's a lot of the route that I'd be very unfamiliar with and it might be a good way to get to know it so that when the time comes it won't be as daunting (I find running in unfamiliar places difficult as you don't have the landmarks you're familiar with to guide you). The disadvantage of running the route would be that traffic would be very disruptive though, so a continuous stop-start while crossing roads won't do anything for our endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

quickbeam wrote:

+1 there on running the route in training. You won't really loose anything on your LSRs by stopping for traffic to be honest. It'll give you less to think about on the day. I'd run the hardest parts of the course too so you know what's ahead of you on race day. Preparation is key, and being able to familiarise yourself with the course is a tremendous advantage to have. You can't really get more specific than training on the route.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If you need so help with possibĺe routes around there let me know.

I'm near the Phoenix Park too. If you have any route suggestions I'd be very grateful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

No problem there are lots of options I will get some routes done up over the next day or two
    I'm near the Phoenix Park too. If you have any route suggestions I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

statina wrote: »
    Hi All, I'm throwing my hat into the ring! Signed up to DCM yesterday! I have been glued to this thread for the last couple of years so I am very excited to be joining it! Thanks Wubble for all the great advice so far!

Have you raced before?
    I recently completed the Great Ireland 10km in 1:01, was hoping to get under the 1 hr mark...next time :-)
    Park runs- 28.34, Half marathon 2015-2:24.

Do you still need to take a break during training- No (am very very slow going up hills though!!)

How much training do you currently do- 5 mile tue and Thursday with the running club, park run most saturdays, LSR at some point over the weekend, up to 10 mile now. I have v recently started running 5 mile pace on wednesday. Im following the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan. I don't do any other type of training, I know I should incorporate something else- am open to all suggestions!

What do you want to achieve? Dream time- 4:30. Most likely time- under 5.00. It takes me 11-12 mins per mile so I have a lot of work to do between now and October!

How many days can you train? I can definitely train 4 days per week, will aim for 5. I have 4 weddings to go to over the summer so that's why I have started the plan a little early. I am slightly worried about how to manage the lsrs and attend social events but I am committed to the plan so I'll just find a way :-)

Why are you running the marathon? I have been running consistently for the last year and I feel like this is the year to tackle it! It's been on the bucket list for far too long!! A fella in his late 70's who ran the Dublin marathon 4 times told me last year there'll be many the day that you think you can't run a marathon but you'll have a lifetime of knowing you did! This has stuck with me so it's time to give it a whirl!

Hi statina,

Welcome aboard! Those times aren't too bad at all...no shame missing the 1 hr for the GIR. I'd actually have said that was optimistic for a 28 min 5k, especially as it's one of the harder 10k races out there. Plenty more chances to go (considerably?) under the hour. I highly recommend the Fingal 10k in this regard; I got my PB there last year, the previous one stood for over 3 years.

Training seems to be fairly well coordinated already. Only thing I'd say about HHN2, if I'm reading it properly, is that there doesn't seem to be any kind of interval training? But if you think that's what will suit you best for this year, then I'd say go for it.

Weddings, weddings and more weddings....:D best I can say here is, (apart from "Don't go") :) is that if you can find a place for it, the LSR is the most important run of the week; remember to follow it with an easy day if you can find the time to get anything done. Don't do two LSRs in the same week; a near certain way to get injured.

Loving that quote from the aul fella. Might even use it myself :D Thanks for signing up here, best of luck!

dos29 wrote: »
    Greetings all!
    Gonna jump on this thread if that's ok, could do with any and all help with completing something like this.
    Only recently decided to give it a go, and have just pulled the trigger on registering so thought I'd join you gang.
    Thanks for taking up the mantle of such a time consuming role Wubble Wubble!

I've mostly dipped in and out of running. Never completed a full marathon, a few halfs alright.
    Trained for Cork full 2 yrs ago but a couple of things conspired to stop that attempt. Got to 24m in a training run.
    I've learned from that though, so much more confident this time! Very much looking forward to this! Hope the training is going well for everyone.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k - Darkness Into Light May 2017 - 23:30ish
    10k - Cosaintoir 10k Oct 2009 - 50:00ish
    Half Marathon - Clonakilty Dec 2011 - 1:42ish (in my absolute prime!:D)

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No

How much training do you currently do ?
    Approx 18-20 miles a week with the odd circuit training.

What do you want to achieve?
    Sub 4 would be the dream, realistically be happy with sub 4:30 though.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    Fortunate at the moment I'm in a position to train pretty much any day. Started with the HH Novice 2 this week to build a routine and hoping to switch to HH Int 1 on 26th June and carry that to the big day.

Why are you running this marathon?
    To have run AT LEAST one.

Hi dos29,

Welcome! Always feels like a big thing, taking the plunge to sign up!
    Thanks for the compliment, it was nice to be asked, and it's something very different and interesting for me :D

They're some fine times by the way, especially for the DIL when the large majority walk it. I haven't done that one yet, but will eventually no doubt.

Even to have a few half marathons in the bag is handy when starting something like this. It's a distance I enjoy, although it can be hard to get the pacing and strategy right. If you don't, it can be a long and sore run home, as I've found to my cost more than once :rolleyes:

In relation to the training generally, you seem to have the right idea for base building before commencing the plan itself. Sticking to the plan will be the tricky bit (not just for you, might I add!) And who knows, maybe if you really enjoy this marathon, you will want to run another "one". Thanks for signing up, best of luck!

Baby75 wrote: »
    Hi, All :)

I am so excited, I can actually get out running this week my calf is better the rest and stretching have worked, I got to bootcamp this morning and after it felt so good to be doing something I have really missed exercising, running really clears the mind and lifts the spirits.

I have a question on the training plans, I notice a lot call for running 2 or 3 days in a row, do you have to train this way or can you run then rest or cross-train the next making sure I take at least 1 days rest during the week!

Good news! It does indeed lift the spirits, especially when you can feel yourself getting stronger and the energy coming back.

Both HHN1 and Boards plans have a lot of scope within for rest/cross days. HHN1 has at least two most weeks, whereas the Boards plan gives you the option of a rest day if you wish, on at least two of the days. How you move these around is ultimately up to you. I would recommend, however, that if possible you should try to stick to a regular weekly routine. I can understand that it's not the easiest thing to do for all of us. Hope this helps!

Omeceron wrote: »
    Another good week under the belt. Physio has given me the all clear but with instructions to do more stretching and foam rolling.

Dusted off the foam roller on Friday and lots of rolling and pain later I had found my calves are in a bad way so they will need a lot more work.

Ran an 80 min LSR today. Legs felt great after the rolling. Pacing was all over the place, 2 slow miles, 2 fast miles and the rest somewhere in between but really enjoyed the run.

Tried James Dunne's post running stretch routine afterwards so hope that will help down the line.

Glad to hear it! Stretching is a practice often neglected, and not just by DCM Novices....occasionally some Graduates have been guilty of same :eek:

Foam rollers aren't the easiest thing to get used to. I have one, but the feeling of muscles popping in your leg can be really sore :D

Regarding the LSR you described, I would try and keep the pace at a consistently slow one. Your long runs are intended to be more about time on your feet, as opposed to fast running.

It isn't easy to get used to thinking that way. Back in my pre-Boards running days (long before I was even a DCM Novice) I used to do nearly all my training runs at a fairly fast pace, probably ridiculously fast looking back.

Several others on here have mentioned James Dunne's stretching routines. I haven't tried them yet, but those of you reading it here (particularly any of you with a lengthy injury history) should give them a try and see how they work for you.

• Advertisement

This week's runs:
    6.36km @ 6.55 pace*

Well done on the PB quickbeam! I would still be careful in relation to the 10% rule though.

I highly recommend finding other routes if you can. Purely for the sake of variety, as I often find it can get monotonous running the same loops time after time. Of course, this doesn't mean you have to completely abandon the one you're currently running :) It's also good to have a route with a few hills in it, as although DCM wouldn't be particularly hilly compared to a lot of other marathons, there's still some good tests in there.

+1000 to those above who have recommended running parts of the marathon course. Particularly if you're lucky enough to be based in Dublin :D It will undoubtedly be to your advantage on the day. As regards stopping at traffic lights etc, that's an occupational hazard in relation to running in the city I'm afraid. That and people driving in and out of their houses as you pass.

Last year there was a Novices meetup organised in August, the week before the Frank Duffy 10 Mile. At that stage, we'll be well into the plans stage proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good news! It does indeed lift the spirits, especially when you can feel yourself getting stronger and the energy coming back.

Both HHN1 and Boards plans have a lot of scope within for rest/cross days. HHN1 has at least two most weeks, whereas the Boards plan gives you the option of a rest day if you wish, on at least two of the days. How you move these around is ultimately up to you. I would recommend, however, that if possible you should try to stick to a regular weekly routine. I can understand that it's not the easiest thing to do for all of us. Hope this helps!

Thanks, wubble, I had another look at the Boards plan and I think I will go with that, I will swap the long run to the Sunday and cross train on Saturday
    I was only a little worried about running 2 to 3 days in a row because I suffered from posterior shin splints which are better now, but in January I could not run 2 days in a row and they were very sore. I took time off and new runners and plenty of stretching etc and no problems the last 3 months which is great.

As the plan does not start until June, I can try shorter distances over the 3 days in a row and increase slowly so my body adjust and gets used to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭positron

Now that quickbeam has inspired me to review my week, last week I tried 'sticking to the plan' - at least the midweek run park, where according to the third/fourth week of HH novice 1 plan, I should be doing 5k, 8k, 5k on Tue, Wed & Thursday. Unusually enough I was able to arrange to work from home all three days, so I said I will give it a go. And I found it very hard. Legs felt heavy and tight on Day 2 and tired and sore on Day 3.

This isn't unusual - I had noticed this pattern right from the days of C25K a year ago that my legs need a day (or two sometimes) to recover from a run. I also have a dominant right leg I think - probably due to bad ankle injury on the left leg like 10 years ago, but it came up as various issues over the last year - ankle pain and swelling, foot, shin, knee and finally in last three weeks or so it was the groin and hamstring.. every time it cleared up after some rest and time off (the ankle took couple of weeks to clear the first time, and and about three months stop being a problem). And the third day of the run my right leg felt more tired than the left.. May be I was was more sore than the left for the first time... One to watch surely.

Three continuous runs might be challenging but LSR was beautiful, if short. Parkrun + whatever I could do afterwards. Missed my 25m target at Parkrun once again by some seconds. On the plus side, I continued my run along the canal past Oldbridge and got to explore the ruins of Glenmore (?) house and got to experience spectacularly beautiful countryside - river, hedges, forest, fields - all in complete solitude other than the gentle breeze and birds chirping. Overall LSR was only 11 kms though, should have been 16 as per the plan, but life got in the way. Crosstraining Sunday is the usual hour to two hours on the bike, got around 30k in today, it was another pleasant ride.

Learning: Sticking to the plan is not easy. I will be repeating this week over and again until I can comfortably do 5,8,5,16 distances.

161 Days To Go!!

Yes indeed, another Sunday evening has arrived, and the DCM 2017 Mentored Novices thread is another week older :D

Seems so far away when you read it like that, doesn't it? 23 weeks if you prefer....

Thanks to all the Novices who have signed up so far. Always room for more, so if you've been lurking here the last while and haven't felt confident enough to join in just yet, don't worry, as most here are starting off, same as you.

Have any more of you decided on which plan to follow yet? Remember to stick to the 10% rule when building your base up. It's a tough challenge, and one which must be respected! I can vouch for that, having totally not stuck to that rule first time around (in fact, I didn't even know it existed)

Much gratitude to all who have reported on their runs so far. Anyone else care to share? :)

And a big thanks to our guest contributors for helping keep it all in one piece ;)

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbie xx

Hi

Looks like a great group here.
    I like others starting running a few year back with the C5K app, I had lost 3stone with WW and thought it would be a great way to maintain, as never wanted it back. I kind dipped my toes in the water & never really felt the love. On the 2015 June bank holiday I did the mini marathon & couldn't run the full 10k, so decided enough was enough , I needed to focus I followed David Carries plan in 2015 & completed DCM in a time of 4:36. However last year had a major set back the week before the Half marathon in the race series. Resulted in surgery in late December, ( not running related) rested up -and have lost most of my fitness. I'm in the process of getting back on the horse so to speak.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Parkrun -March 16 23:00/Feb 17 26:20
    5 Miles - May 16 40:44/ May 17 45:22
    10k July 16 50:45
    10 miles - Aug 15 1hr 27mins
    HM -Sept 15 1 hr 57 mins
    DCM -Oct 15 4hrs 36 mins

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No generally not, mind you had to stop in the most recent 5 mile race at 4.5miles

3 -4 runs per week 3 x 3 miles & 1x 4-5 miles

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    I love to be able to run it in under 4 hours but It would be between 4 to 4:30 hrs

I can train 4 to 5 days a week.
    Yes I want to follow a plan, yours looks good

Because it's the most awesome feeling of self achievement ever & am absolutely gutted I didn't get to do it last year. I really want to get back into running and feel this will help me

Good luck to all xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

WW what's the 10% rule you've mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

WW what's the 10% rule you've mentioned?

Only increase your training by a maximum of 10% week on week. Don't run 25 miles one week and 35 the next, small increments will prevent injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

Another long time lurker. Had done little to no exercise for 10 years or more, and with 3 young children I decided I needed to do something and tried the C25K. Found it really tough at the start but when I completed 20mins non stop running, I began enjoying it a lot more.
    Started the C25K Jan 2016 and raced first 5K in March 2016. I then progressed to 10K pretty soon after. Had big plans to do DCM 2016 however a combination of injuries made me realise it was too much too soon.
    However I was bitten by the running bug and continued to run when all niggles cleared up. I ran HM in October 2016 and decided that I would go all out to get in shape for DCM 2017. I have signed up and hope the training all goes well.

5K - March 2016 25.25
    5 Miles - April 2016 41.30
    10k - May 2017 44.15
    10 miles -
    HM -May 2017 1 hr 38 mins

No

3 -4 runs per week - mileage varies - generally 20-30 miles per week

Dream would be sub 3.30...more realistic is probably sub 4.00

I can train 4 or 5 days a week and am following an Asics plan with few modifcations.

Would just love to say I have done at least one and having now done a few HMs it feels the right time to give it a lash.

So hopefully the training will go well and all will be good come the big day.
    Good luck to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

peterc14 wrote: »
    Another long time lurker. Had done little to no exercise for 10 years or more, and with 3 young children I decided I needed to do something and tried the C25K. Found it really tough at the start but when I completed 20mins non stop running, I began enjoying it a lot more.
    Started the C25K Jan 2016 and raced first 5K in March 2016. I then progressed to 10K pretty soon after. Had big plans to do DCM 2016 however a combination of injuries made me realise it was too much too soon.
    However I was bitten by the running bug and continued to run when all niggles cleared up. I ran HM in October 2016 and decided that I would go all out to get in shape for DCM 2017. I have signed up and hope the training all goes well.

5K - March 2016 25.25
    5 Miles - April 2016 41.30
    10k - May 2017 44.15
    10 miles -
    HM -May 2017 1 hr 38 mins

No

3 -4 runs per week - mileage varies - generally 20-30 miles per week

Dream would be sub 3.30...more realistic is probably sub 4.00

I can train 4 or 5 days a week and am following an Asics plan with few modifcations.

Would just love to say I have done at least one and having now done a few HMs it feels the right time to give it a lash.

So hopefully the training will go well and all will be good come the big day.
    Good luck to everyone.

That's some improvement from your 2016 5k time to your Half and 10k times this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭peterc14

Casey78 wrote: »
    That's some improvement from your 2016 5k time to your Half and 10k times this month.

Thanks.
    That 5K in 2016 was the first (and only to date) 5K race that I have entered. I was so happy to have finished it and was delighted with my time.
    One of the things that helped me get the running bug was seeing the improvements in times and distance covered. Obviously the improvement is greater at the start as I was going from no exercise to running quite regularly. However I know that it will be much much harder from now on to make further improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Casey78 wrote: »

Very impressive improvements, based off these, I can't see why Peterc couldn't aim for a sub 3h45m Marathon or possibly better if all goes well training and injury wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

My current base building plan has me running 6 miles easy Mon and Wed and a speed session on Tues. Nothing too fast just progression runs and some strides but roughly 6 miles aswell.

The Boards plan doesn't have this much mid week running so I'm wondering am I doing too much?

I was thinking I should drop a mile at least off each run. Is this still too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DCM17DREAMER

161 Days To Go!!

Yes indeed, another Sunday evening has arrived, and the DCM 2017 Mentored Novices thread is another week older :D

Seems so far away when you read it like that, doesn't it? 23 weeks if you prefer....

Thanks to all the Novices who have signed up so far. Always room for more, so if you've been lurking here the last while and haven't felt confident enough to join in just yet, don't worry, as most here are starting off, same as you.

Have any more of you decided on which plan to follow yet? Remember to stick to the 10% rule when building your base up. It's a tough challenge, and one which must be respected! I can vouch for that, having totally not stuck to that rule first time around (in fact, I didn't even know it existed)

Much gratitude to all who have reported on their runs so far. Anyone else care to share? :)

And a big thanks to our guest contributors for helping keep it all in one piece ;)

Good luck everyone!
    Hi Wubble Wubble - ive decided to go with the HH1 Plan, but im going to start off this week by doing some cross training/gym and a few low mileage runs just to get the fitness level up a bit. So by the time 26th June rolls round ill be getting into the swing of things.... well that's the plan anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I multi-tasked my LSR yesterday by running to IKEA & back! :D

I was running through some areas I didn't know that well, and even though I had trusty hand-written directions & sort-of map in my pocket, I took a few wrong turns, had to take out the smart phone a few times. So the run there was faaaaaaaaar longer than the run back. The home trip seemed so much easier, but I think it was slightly uphill most of the way there.

Running through Tolka Valley Park, there was a really short steep hill that I slowed down for, took teeny little steps. Still when I got to the top I had to stop, thought I was gonna be sick! :o

What I learned from yesterday's run: yoga leggings are fine for yoga, or for a short 5m run. They're no good for an LSR however; some of the seams left little red patches that weren't uncomfortable just yet, but after 4 hours of running I'd say I'd be in serious pain! So gotta go through my shorts drawer and identify which leggings are for LSRs, and which are for yoga only! :eek:

I've noticed the last two weekends that after my LSR I have an insanely unquenchable thirst! I'd an 8oz water bottle with me this weekend, and drank it all. I normally never drink fizzy drinks, but I think I'm gonna need to stock some of those mini-cans in my fridge. I think the acid or the bubbles will be the only thing to cut through my thirst. No amount of water or ice pops seemed to do the job yesterday.

On my way over, there was a swan with four lovely fluffy little cygnets in the Royal Canal. They were still there on my way home, and since I'd my distance covered at this stage, I could stop to take a little video. They came over to me when they saw me watching them. I'd no treats for them though, how disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

Hi shortie_chik, great to hear there's someone else in the same boat as me as you say, it's about completing the marathon on the day regardless of the time. We are off to Mauritius for a very relaxing all-inclusive sun holiday - can't wait for it now!! The hotel we have booked has a gym so I reckon I can just plod out a few runs on the treadmill there - it'll help undo the damage from all the food we'll end up eating!! There's loads of other activities as well so hopefully that will keep me active enough. How about yourself - where are you guys off to?

That sounds fantastic! And if you know now that your hotel has a gym, you can plan a few runs in an air conditioned gym if it's scorchio out!
    We're going to Japan, very excited! This weekend I'm gonna have to sit down and look at our stops and see where I can find green patches to run a few circles around. Don't think any of our hotels will have gyms.
    Japan will be amazing, would love to visit it at some point myself!! Hope you have a fab time, and best of luck with finding places to run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 aine_fainne

A bit late with my report on training last week, but better late than never :) I had a good weeks running overall, after having to swap around the runs that I had planned a little bit:
    Mon 3 miles 9:52 per mile
    Tues 4 miles easy 10:49 per mile
    Wed 3 miles 10:27 per mile
    Thurs 4 miles easy 10:56 per mile
    Sat 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d 9:40 per mile
    I had a bit of an upset on my run last Wednesday where I was meant to do 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d. Started to get stomach cramps when I picked up the pace so I only managed to do 3 miles before having to head home. Luckily the training plan I am following only called for me to do a 5k race at the weekend so I just decided to give this a miss on Saturday morning and have another go at the 1 mile w/u, 4 mile pace, 1 mile c/d. I've been trying to run slowly at a pace of around 10:45 min a mile, so my target for the pace section was 9:45. I was a bit worried about sustaining this for 4 miles but I actually ended up running slightly faster at around 9:00 to 9:20 per mile so I will have to work on staying at my target pace a bit more :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

What I learned from yesterday's run: yoga leggings are fine for yoga, or for a short 5m run. They're no good for an LSR however; some of the seams left little red patches that weren't uncomfortable just yet, but after 4 hours of running I'd say I'd be in serious pain! So gotta go through my shorts drawer and identify which leggings are for LSRs, and which are for yoga only! :eek:

I've noticed the last two weekends that after my LSR I have an insanely unquenchable thirst! I'd an 8oz water bottle with me this weekend, and drank it all. I normally never drink fizzy drinks, but I think I'm gonna need to stock some of those mini-cans in my fridge. I think the acid or the bubbles will be the only thing to cut through my thirst. No amount of water or ice pops seemed to do the job yesterday.

Your LSR's are like trial runs for your marathon day, you're right to use them to test gear out! It took me probably 4 or 5 LSR's and a nasty bit of chaffing on my shoulder to figure out what I was going to wear on marathon day..

I used to get that thirst too and the only thing that would quench it was full fat coke - I never drink fizzy drinks but after running all those KM's I think anyone deserves one coke a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Did you sweat much? It could be that you're low on electrolytes after your long runs. You could try some electrolyte tabs that you put in your water - such as High Five Zero or Nuun. Failing that, just make sure to get some salt into you as well as water. I also find milk quite good for quenching thirst. It maybe that you weren't fully hydrated before heading out too. You be hydrating the day before (just like you will for the marathon) - there's no point in drinking litre of water just before you head out because you'll be stopping every 5 minutes.

Edit: You could also be craving carbs or sugar - so try and eat something or drink a sports drink. I love a bit of chocolate milk myself if I'm stuck for time. If I have time then you can't go wrong with some scrambled eggs and toast post long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I was running through some areas I didn't know that well, and even though I had trusty hand-written directions & sort-of map in my pocket, I took a few wrong turns, had to take out the smart phone a few times. So the run there was faaaaaaaaar longer than the run back. The home trip seemed so much easier, but I think it was slightly uphill most of the way there.

Have a look at
    https://www.rungoapp.com.
    It allows you to map a route, on your phone or PC, then acts as a sat nav, giving you turn by turn navigation as you run. I used this for some long runs last year, especially when running parts of the DCM route, and it worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbie xx

Running through Tolka Valley Park, there was a really short steep hill that I slowed down for, took teeny little steps. Still when I got to the top I had to stop, thought I was gonna be sick! :o

On my way over, there was a swan with four lovely fluffy little cygnets in the Royal Canal. They were still there on my way home, and since I'd my distance covered at this stage, I could stop to take a little video. They came over to me when they saw me watching them. I'd no treats for them though, how disappointing!

You had an adventure... sparkling water is great to quench thirst, also you could try the high5 zero tabs, they are get for when your dehydrated

Advertisement