Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had a very irritating experience this morning. Ran what I had route planned for 20 miles. Got home and the app I use to measure pace/distance etc had stopped working periodically during the run so had no idea how far id actually run. Turns out google maps tells me that I only did 17. Very frustrating. Wasnt a particularly good run, slow pace and nothing in the legs but took solace in the fact I was doing 20. Very annoyed but onwards and upwards. Need to find time in the next 2 weeks to actually do 20.

Ah well....whine over.

Mildly annoyed by the fact that I've just discovered I ran 18.95 miles yesterday.

Multiplied 19 x 1.6 and got 30.4 before heading out. Ran a little bit extra (30.5) so I could finish at Stephen's green.

Ah well, shall multiply by 1.609 the next time.

Does wonders for your 16 times tables this lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

By Google maps it was 17. Im going to drive the route tomorrow night to make sure ��.

Ran for about 3 hrs 15 minutes. Very slow.

Gets into your head this marathon training.

Dont worry about the difference of 17 v 20 if you were out for 3hrs 15 mins - thats a superb run.

Take a lot confidence from that - theres still 7-8 weeks left!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorry Folks - been busy all weekend - GAA season is back in full swing :)

I see a lot of good runs happening and more importantly, a lot of consistent training.
    No one run will help you get to the start line of DCM or help you complete DCM - its the consistency that you need and the ability (& the patience) to recover.

There's 2 good events coming up - the Race Series Half (23rd Sept) and the 3/4 Mara (8th Oct) - both offer good prep for DCM if done right.

The next few weeks are the most important part of the plan - mileage tops out, long runs get longer, People race the HM, people get nervous and do stupid training :), people think they haven't enough done and train harder - - so take stock of where you are right now.

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

Feel free to share :)

I'll bounce some questions back to you here! Firstly I'll share my answers to the above. My progress....off the Richter Scale. I never thought I could have the control to run a race as a session! The ability to run slow and easy has also surprised me. All for the best too.
    In the coming weeks I have to decide on distances...I started off ahead of the plan and have stayed ahead. Should I settle back to the plan now, effectively cut back on training, or just level off my own mileage?
    I need to settle on what runners to wear! But do I need to run part or all of the course? I have an aversion to running on the roads but would do more of it if it was a benefit.
    Regarding the half and 3/4 what would the best plan be?

Finally a huge thanks to you for your input here. Personally speaking it has been invaluable.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll bounce some questions back to you here! Firstly I'll share my answers to the above. My progress....off the Richter Scale. I never thought I could have the control to run a race as a session! The ability to run slow and easy has also surprised me. All for the best too.
    In the coming weeks I have to decide on distances...I started off ahead of the plan and have stayed ahead. Should I settle back to the plan now, effectively cut back on training, or just level off my own mileage?
    I need to settle on what runners to wear! But do I need to run part or all of the course? I have an aversion to running on the roads but would do more of it if it was a benefit.
    Regarding the half and 3/4 what would the best plan be?

Finally a huge thanks to you for your input here. Personally speaking it has been invaluable.

OK - in order :) - my advice only- I haven't coordinated responses with WW.
    Your Plan: Stay ahead - plan in 1 down week in the coming 3 weeks where you reduce mileage. But stay ahead if you are ahead.

Runners: Try to get these sorted soon - its best to have 50-100 miles in a new pair of runners before DCM. Also important is your socks - are they blister free etc.

Run the Course?: If you live in Dublin and you think it'll help then by all means do. Or try to do it over a few weeks for me theres a few parts that may need to be seen in order to reduce the hype - Running up Chesterfield and turn right at Myos' to the highest part of the DCM route / The long & boring parts towards crumlin / Roebuck hill.

The Half and 3/4?:
    Personally - I'm not racing either, but doing both :)

These are great races to practice marathon pace in a race environment - water on the course, gels, running in a crowd, running with pacers etc.

For a Novice, I'd say - race the half and run the 3/4 as a long run with PMP.
    The half is uphill for the 1st 6-7 miles and then downhill.

And thanks for your thanks - if it wasn't for you guys posting, me & WW and the other contributors would have nothing to do :)

Weekly Report Week 10

Monday: 3m Recovery run. Very easy paced.

Tuesday: 5m easy run

Wednesday: 1m easy, 2 PMP, 2 HMP, 2 PMP, 1 easy. Think I ran the pace sections too fast. My watch froze as the memory was full so I had no idea of paces.

Thursday: 5m easy

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 5 mile gentle jog

Sunday: 20 miles. First 16 were slower than usual LSR and finished the last 4 strongly. Thrilled with the run as I had a bit left in the tank. Rehearsed pre marathon routine. Had a bagel and almond butter, a banana and a high5 carb drink for breakfast. Took a gel after 90 mins and 2hr 15 on the run. Didn't feel the need for more.

• Advertisement

OK - in order :) - my advice only- I haven't coordinated responses with WW.
    Your Plan: Stay ahead - plan in 1 down week in the coming 3 weeks where you reduce mileage. But stay ahead if you are ahead.

Runners: Try to get these sorted soon - its best to have 50-100 miles in a new pair of runners before DCM. Also important is your socks - are they blister free etc.

Run the Course?: If you live in Dublin and you think it'll help then by all means do. Or try to do it over a few weeks for me theres a few parts that may need to be seen in order to reduce the hype - Running up Chesterfield and turn right at Myos' to the highest part of the DCM route / The long & boring parts towards crumlin / Roebuck hill.

The Half and 3/4?:
    Personally - I'm not racing either, but doing both :)

These are great races to practice marathon pace in a race environment - water on the course, gels, running in a crowd, running with pacers etc.

For a Novice, I'd say - race the half and run the 3/4 as a long run with PMP.
    The half is uphill for the 1st 6-7 miles and then downhill.

And thanks for your thanks - if it wasn't for you guys posting, me & WW and the other contributors would have nothing to do :)

Delighted you think I should stay ahead of the plan as I haven't yet felt too stressed by it. Was thinking some pace increases might be needed just to get that "fook that was a killer session" feeling! Lol

Runners, I thought I had found the pair of my dreams but got some discomfort from the uppers today.

I know the north side parts well. The thoughts of running those roads in Crumlin compares only to sticking pins in my eyeballs but I suppose I should face it in advance.

I'm planning to go with the 1.50 pacers in the half and hopefully leave them. I'll have to check work roster to see if I'm off for the Longwoood race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

you say they dont impact your stomach, have you taken them while running at Marathon Pace?
    I'd even advise taking one at the very end of a run - maybe the last 1m as this is where the biggest distress comes from - obviously you wont get the benefit of the additional fuel - but it does test the stomach when it is hurting the most.

Regarding the main point of your question, I would only take them if needed on a long run (once you are certain theres no distress) - your body becomes better at running on fats in training as has already been pointed out.

Thanks for the reply. Yes - used them in a HM and Cork City Marathon too and no issues so think I'm ok there. Been training with them too for all long runs before Cork.

I'll definitely try and only take them as needed for the rest of my long runs. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Ok so it seems a HM could now be back on the cards to me next weekend! Do I
    1. Race the HM
    2. Run the HM @ PMP or other session?
    3. Run the HM and add on a few miles to make it a 20m LSR
    4. Skip the HM and do my 20m LSR as per the schedule.

I won't be doing the race series LSR but I am going to miss an LSR the weekend of Sept 30th due to travel (transatlantic) so I'm down an LSR then :(

I welcome any advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Watch that knee - ice after running.
    Do calf raises during the week on stairs - build to 3x10 reps (google if uncertain how to do them)
    Consider strapping the knee during a run.
    Run on grass when you can.
    Check your runners aren't worn out.

Soft strap for the knee or one of the brace types would u reccomend? Off to a physio during the week at some stage, not going to lie im bricking the outcome of it.

Runners are only new, end of July I got them so im hoping its not them.

Week 10 Report:

Monday - First day back after a week off, needed a fast one!! 2 miles @ 7:17 average.

Tuesday - 3.1 miles @ 8:40 average. Boring usual 3mile route :rolleyes:

Wednesday - 6.7 miles @ 9:04 average, first two miles were too fast because of the downhill but then I settled in at around 9:20ish average.

Thursday - 4 miles @ 9:02 average - boring 3 mile route and more.

Saturday - 15 miles @ 9:17 average - Talked about it yesterday. Wasnt fatigued at all really and handled the hills that I tackled fairly well, getting ready for the half from what im hearing! Apart from the knee I felt smashing after it, only starting running properly around June so its a big thing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Great to see everybody doing so well and clocking up the miles. You're all going to be epic��

Weekly report - No idea what week to call it at this stage!

Pretty happy with the way things have gone this week.
    I did 3.5 and 6miles at >PMP Mon and Tuesday (although pace wasn't really in my mind - just to run it). Had intended doing something - maybe bike on Wednesday, but a combination of back pain and being absolutely knackered after a few early work shifts made me ditch that idea. Couldn't even bring myself to do my physio�� I'd planned to try to push it a bit to get something approaching a LSR at the weekend so did 10 miles Saturday morning. Went really well - beautiful morning in Chicago - warm but not too hot, loads of runners out. Involved myself in a HM along the way - support plus water/Gatorade included �� - and felt really great after. Back was grand and legs felt good. Didn't stiffen up too much on the flight home so I'm feeling that I might actually manage to make it to the start of this thing! On a less positive note, I'll be missing the series HM due work so I was a bit pissed of at that. Thinking about it though, I'm behind in training, so I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get in a decent LSRs before the main event. Keeping the main thing the main thing. Overall feeling positive after the week. Back to the physio tomorrow. Plan is to get back on plan this week. Maybe aim for LSR of 13/14 miles this week and then I should be more or less back on HHN1 (without the HM) by the following weekend. Plan is definitely in pencil not pen at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Grrrrrrrrr!!!! Another disasterous LSR attempt, though for wholly different reasons to last week.

I made two changes - one was to do repeated shorter circuits near home instead of one big circuit. The second was to try the High5 gels.

I was going grand, it was a perfect morning for it - mild, a little drizzly to keep cool. At 11km, 1 hour 26 minutes in, I took the High5. It tasted okay. I didn't get an immediate energy boost like I thought I would but it was all grand.

Then at 14km, I had a sharp stomach pain that lasted just a few seconds, then disappeared. Then, a minute or two later I had an "accident". Luckily because of the shorter circuits I'd planned, I wasn't too far from home. I jogged/walked another kilometre home, intending to use the conveniences and head out again to finish the LSR. But when I got in, I realised it was worse than I'd even realised and I wasn't very sure that I'd not have another "accident" if I headed out again. (Sorry, TMI???) So I cut it short. I hadn't even stopped the watch at first, as my stop-over was meant to be just a quickie.

:(:(:(

Total distance, 15.39km @ 8:01km

So, a few questions.

Firstly, what's the plan for the rest of the week? Do I (a) take today as my LSR and continue with the other runs as planned, or (b - my preference, unless told otherwise), take today's run as the 8 mile on this week's HH plan (12.9km, so it'd mean I went a bit over what was required) and try to do the LSR again on Wednesday?

Secondly, am I to assume that gels, or at least this brand of gel aren't for me? Or is there a chance that it was all just an unhappy co-incidence? I knew there were reports of stomach issues for some people using gels, but I didn't know that problems could also occur .... further down ...!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Quickbeam, do you run on empty in the morning? My own experience is that consuming anything when running on empty - even some water - triggers the need to go. Probably just a morning thing. It's great that you chose to run in shorter circuits.

Yeah, run on empty. But it's not been a problem before when I was using raisins as fuel instead of gels.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrrr!!!! Another disasterous LSR attempt, though for wholly different reasons to last week.

I made two changes - one was to do repeated shorter circuits near home instead of one big circuit. The second was to try the High5 gels.

I was going grand, it was a perfect morning for it - mild, a little drizzly to keep cool. At 11km, 1 hour 26 minutes in, I took the High5. It tasted okay. I didn't get an immediate energy boost like I thought I would but it was all grand.

Then at 14km, I had a sharp stomach pain that lasted just a few seconds, then disappeared. Then, a minute or two later I had an "accident". Luckily because of the shorter circuits I'd planned, I wasn't too far from home. I jogged/walked another kilometre home, intending to use the conveniences and head out again to finish the LSR. But when I got in, I realised it was worse than I'd even realised and I wasn't very sure that I'd not have another "accident" if I headed out again. (Sorry, TMI???) So I cut it short. I hadn't even stopped the watch at first, as my stop-over was meant to be just a quickie.

:(:(:(

Total distance, 15.39km @ 8:01km

So, a few questions.

Firstly, what's the plan for the rest of the week? Do I (a) take today as my LSR and continue with the other runs as planned, or (b - my preference, unless told otherwise), take today's run as the 8 mile on this week's HH plan (12.9km, so it'd mean I went a bit over what was required) and try to do the LSR again on Wednesday?

Secondly, am I to assume that gels, or at least this brand of gel aren't for me? Or is there a chance that it was all just an unhappy co-incidence? I knew there were reports of stomach issues for some people using gels, but I didn't know that problems could also occur .... further down ...!

With energy gels, you dont get an immediate 'boost' - they take 10-20 mins to enter the blood stream.

I'd start writing down what you eat prior to your long runs, just to ensure that its nothing else causing this - its also vital that you try to 'go' before your long run - coffee helps :).
    I don't think I've ever done a long run without 'going' before hand :o

The general wisdom about a long run or a session is that if you miss it or dont finish it, then write it off.
    Doing it midweek will interfere with other runs and leave you more fatigued.

ariana` wrote: »
    Ok so it seems a HM could now be back on the cards to me next weekend! Do I
    1. Race the HM
    2. Run the HM @ PMP or other session?
    3. Run the HM and add on a few miles to make it a 20m LSR
    4. Skip the HM and do my 20m LSR as per the schedule.

I won't be doing the race series LSR but I am going to miss an LSR the weekend of Sept 30th due to travel (transatlantic) so I'm down an LSR then :(

I welcome any advice :)

Taking the missed LSR into account on the 30th Sept - how many long runs over 18m will you have done in the whole training plan?

With energy gels, you dont get an immediate 'boost' - they take 10-20 mins to enter the blood stream.

I'd start writing down what you eat prior to your long runs, just to ensure that its nothing else causing this - its also vital that you try to 'go' before your long run - coffee helps :).
    I don't think I've ever done a long run without 'going' before hand :o

The general wisdom about a long run or a session is that if you miss it or dont finish it, then write it off.
    Doing it midweek will interfere with other runs and leave you more fatigued.

I "went" before.

Taking the missed LSR into account on the 30th Sept - how many long runs over 18m will you have done in the whole training plan?

It should be 4 all going to plan.

I've one done
    Saturday, Sept 2nd - 18.5m

And the plan is for the coming weeks is
    Sept, 9th - possible HM or LSR ??
    Sept, 16th - 20m
    Sept, 23rd - 20m (Might actually do this on Mon, 25th to give me extra recovery)
    Sept, 30th - N/A (maybe 12m at some stage but will see how travelling etc effects me)
    Oct, 7th - 18m

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How did the raisins work for you QB. Sounds like you reacted to the Gel. No need to take gels if you find something else that works for you , jellies , raisins, banana ,just whatever works.

AMK made a vey good point re gels in his reply to Kellygirl earlier about the effect gels can have on marathon day , i used them during training last year with no real issues, on marathon day the first one 30 minutes in sickened me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

At the half I did yesterday, they had cola at the water stations, and talking to some runners, they have minerals, like cola or fanta after a run. I used to love coke but have stopped drinking it, any thoughts?

The Muppet wrote: »
    How did the raisins work for you QB. Sounds like you reacted to the Gel. No need to take gels if you find something else that works for you , jellies , raisins, banana ,just whatever works.

No ill effects from the raisins but no energy boost either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?
    What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.
    What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

Feel free to share :)

Thanks AMK for your input in this thread its been invaluable.

Progress - The single biggest thing I've noticed is I leave the house now and go for a run and before I know it I'm 8-10k into it , a 10k run is now a short run.

I'm enjoying running much more , I'm not a slave to the watch on my easy days I run whatever pace feels good.
    Physically I've muscle definition in my legs which I never had in my life. I seem to have more energy during the week despite my legs been tired some days i'll happily take the kids to the park an hour or so after a long run.

It's hard to chart my progress in speed terms as I've not ran that much flat out , I PB'd the Fingal 10k and went sub 40 for first time which is goal ticked for me.

In the first week of the plan I tried a 3* 2 mile session and walked home feeling deflated after failing it , that was my only session I didn't complete , some have been really tough but I remember how I felt that first day and didn't want to repeat it. So mentally I've gotten stronger.

Before Marathon -
    I need to make sure I don't peak too early , I feel like I've had a great block of training and have been injury and niggle free , I just need to be clever now and not overdo it. Last week was 80k week for me ( highest ever) I've two more weeks of 80k then a down week for the DCM half marathon. I'd like a sub 90 minute half marathon that way even if I mess up marathon itself I'll have hit two nice round number PB's during the cycle.

I also need to make a decision on pacing for the marathon itself , I plan to go out with the 3.30 group and pick it up as the race progresses. I have read that if you negative split the marathon you probably didn't run your best race? That seems strange but apparently the best pacing strategy is even or slight positive split. I'd love to go with 3.20 pace group and push on and come in at 3.1X like a few people said to me i'm capable of but I'm fearful that I go out with them can't hang on and end up bonking. This is a decision I will need to nail down and stick with before the day.

I'm thinking about entering and running this 3/4 marathon now straight up at 3.20 marathon pace , would this be a good idea 3 weeks out from marathon ?
    I also need to decide on running a 22 mile long run or limiting it to 20 miles , I've 3 more 20 mile runs in plan and 1 22 mile.

quickbeam wrote: »
    No ill effects from the raisins but no energy boost either.

If used properly this boost doesn't really exist. Think of your muscles as a petrol tank and raisins, gels etc as petrol. You use the gels to keep the tank topped up so that your engine keeps running. You will only get a boost if you have let the tank empty and splutter to a stop. Fuelling is the way to help you maintain a level for longer, not a turbo boost. Remember too that your body has enough fuel to last about 2 hours anyway so taking one after 90 minutes is just topping up the tank. Gels are not like a turbo fuel additive in a car lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 12 of 20 for me:
    Mon: 3.75m @ 8.23. Just back from a weekend stags so even this distance was tough!!!
    Tues: 6.5m @ 7.32. Prob too fast but was unfortunately on a time restraint so decided to just do the 10k at a faster pace
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: 4.7m @ 8.40. Got up nice and early to get this done before work. Felt good
    Fri: 18m @ 8.45. Longest ever run. Had planned 16m but after about 13 still felt ok so decided then I'd push to get 18 in. Took a couple of gels during the run but no water for the first time. Last couple of miles, the legs were screaming at me
    Sat: 1.5m rec @ 9.30
    Sun: Rest

Overall, happy to have gotten an 18m in but after a few messy weeks with hols, stags and injuries, my paces are all over the place again. This weeks 20m is going to have to be done at a slower pace without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

whats the thoughts on the 3/4 marathon.? I hadn't even realised there was one. I think I'd be worried about getting sucked into racing rather than using it as a LSR

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Hi All,

Good running and interesting reading, especially around fueling. I have taken two gels on each of my last 3 LSRs. I'm not sure if I needed them, I was taking them as practice. I might try the LSR this week without taking them. Good advice and food for thought there.

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - 15k @ 5:09/km
    Wednesday - 6.54k @ 5:21/km
    Thursday - 10.5k (2k warm up, 6 x hills (~430m in 2:05 mins), 2 k finish
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 15k at PMP @4:39/km, 1k warm up, first 5k at parkrun, 10k pace run home
    Sunday - 30.5k LSR @ 5:29/km - it was hot, humid, hilly and hard. A little struggle in the second to last 5k part. I was rambling a bit to make
    distance and I didn't enjoy that part but when back on track last 5k was OKish again. The mind can be a powerful tool for good and
    bad! Forgot the sun cream and the sun came out and roasted me, my face is kinda sore today.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    whats the thoughts on the 3/4 marathon.? I hadn't even realised there was one. I think I'd be worried about getting sucked into racing rather than using it as a LSR

It's a bit too far away for me but it's not a typical 'race' distance and with the timing of it i'd say the majority of entrants will be using it as a training run for Dublin so that should make it easier to avoid getting sucked into racing it.

ariana` wrote: »
    It should be 4 all going to plan.

I've one done
    Saturday, Sept 2nd - 18.5m

And the plan is for the coming weeks is
    Sept, 9th - possible HM or LSR ??
    Sept, 16th - 20m
    Sept, 23rd - 20m (Might actually do this on Mon, 25th to give me extra recovery)
    Sept, 30th - N/A (maybe 12m at some stage but will see how travelling etc effects me)
    Oct, 7th - 18m

That'll be a good set of long runs - I wouldn't let the number of long runs be a factor in your decision to race or not.
    Ultimately its your decision, but I'd race it or do it at PMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well that was a really really bad week.

Monday 11km PMP @ 5.39 Per KM
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday 10km recovery run @ 6.00 Per KM
    Thursday Rest
    Friday 30km cycle
    Saturday Rest
    Sunday (Supposed to be a Long run of 16 miles) 8 Miles and had to quit the run. First time in the 10 weeks of training I have quit on a session. My body felt all wrong from the beginning felt lethargic and HR rose rapidly averaged 188 BPM !! on top of this my knee felt quite niggly through the run although this wasnt the reason I binned the run.

It conforms to all the standard symptoms of IT Band Syndrome so not only did I not get my long run in but it looks like I will be sidelines from training for a period of time. After weeks and weeks of really positive progress I feel really deflated about this.

Were into September now and despite really positive times in races ive yet to do beyond 14 miles in training so im really worried that if Im out of action for more than a week or two that the sub 4 hour goal I had might go out the window.

Its unbelievable how many highs and lows I have had during this training process. :(

Thanks AMK for your input in this thread its been invaluable.

Progress - The single biggest thing I've noticed is I leave the house now and go for a run and before I know it I'm 8-10k into it , a 10k run is now a short run.

I'm enjoying running much more , I'm not a slave to the watch on my easy days I run whatever pace feels good.
    Physically I've muscle definition in my legs which I never had in my life. I seem to have more energy during the week despite my legs been tired some days i'll happily take the kids to the park an hour or so after a long run.

It's hard to chart my progress in speed terms as I've not ran that much flat out , I PB'd the Fingal 10k and went sub 40 for first time which is goal ticked for me.

In the first week of the plan I tried a 3* 2 mile session and walked home feeling deflated after failing it , that was my only session I didn't complete , some have been really tough but I remember how I felt that first day and didn't want to repeat it. So mentally I've gotten stronger.

Before Marathon -
    I need to make sure I don't peak too early , I feel like I've had a great block of training and have been injury and niggle free , I just need to be clever now and not overdo it. Last week was 80k week for me ( highest ever) I've two more weeks of 80k then a down week for the DCM half marathon. I'd like a sub 90 minute half marathon that way even if I mess up marathon itself I'll have hit two nice round number PB's during the cycle.

I also need to make a decision on pacing for the marathon itself , I plan to go out with the 3.30 group and pick it up as the race progresses. I have read that if you negative split the marathon you probably didn't run your best race? That seems strange but apparently the best pacing strategy is even or slight positive split. I'd love to go with 3.20 pace group and push on and come in at 3.1X like a few people said to me i'm capable of but I'm fearful that I go out with them can't hang on and end up bonking. This is a decision I will need to nail down and stick with before the day.

I'm thinking about entering and running this 3/4 marathon now straight up at 3.20 marathon pace , would this be a good idea 3 weeks out from marathon ?
    I also need to decide on running a 22 mile long run or limiting it to 20 miles , I've 3 more 20 mile runs in plan and 1 22 mile.

Howdey - great progress - I wouldn't judge the progress of marathon on the speed that you run - but the other elements are top drawer.

On Pacing there are a couple of things to be aware of - MANY people say "I'll go out at x pace and pick it up later in the race" - this very rarely happens, especially for novice runners. Once you get into a pace for a long period of time, it is very hard to increase that pace.

Also - for a marathon, I wouldn't agree with the theory on the negative split - some would argue that its the best way to run a marathon (never done it myself)
    The HM will give you a good indication of where you are at.

For the 3/4 - I wouldn't run it all out at 3:20 pace. Many have done this in the past and left their marathon out on the course - but of course, its your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Sheep1978 wrote: »

the paces run at 105% of pace to ensure you do it slower. so sub 4hr for example the pacers actually run at 6 min kms to make people do it as a slow run.

If you stay with the relevent pacer it will essentially be a mass LSR session.

Advertisement