Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

positron wrote: »
    im-never-running-a-marathon-again-oh-look-a-marathon.jpg

:D In fairness, there might be a good few here who can relate to this feeling.

Yes for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

4 miles in the plan today, but due to my van being in limp mode and being a considerate driver and pulling over to let normal vehicles through, it took me longer than normal to get into town, so I didn't manage the full 4 as I had an appointment to get to, which of course I was kept hanging around for, so I could have done the 4. I knew I was pushed for time so the first mile was quick (for me) slowed down for the second then sped up again worrying about the appointment. Lots of little niggles, mainly in my left leg, but nothing major.

I'm dropping the van into a garage tomorrow and plan to cycle home, about 13 miles, instead of the 8 mile run in the plan. My legs are still in bits from the weekend and due to working on Saturday, am planning on doing the 16 miler on Friday. I know that 8 miles is a lot to miss but I have to get home somehow and no way could I run it tomorrow, hopefully I'll manage it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Just some food for thought.
    there's a thread from a while back where the largest regret from Many Novice marathoners (me included) is that they didn't just run the marathon (without a time goal) to enjoy the experience.
    There will be more marathons to build on & improve. Finishing a marathon is something very few do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Would it be a major disadvantage if I didn't do a half in the build up ?

The Half is useful to guage your fitness and to calculate an achievable pmp .

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I suppose ill just have to see how I get on, as I said im happy that theres nothing wrong but unhappy that I didnt get to the bottom of it. The show must go on.

No harm getting it checked Damo. Sounds like good news to me. Take her handy this weekend and consider it a step back week.

Eyes on the prize in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Best of luck to all Novices running in the DCHM later in the month, please please do not 'burst a gut' doing this one as I know a fair few runners that put too much effort into running this HM 'just to see where they were at', and ended up missing the main event itself. Use it as a good prepp day for the DCM, try out gels,sweets, new shorts, running in a large crowd, running with/without a pacer etc, as you will get a good feel for the main event that way.

Just to mention that people also thinking of trying something new to enhance your running training, don't try anything too explosive or dynamic that might cause some damage. I personally think swimming is a good form of cross training for marathon runners as it tends to 'stretch you out' and can help relieve some tight quads and calfs etc, not to mention upper and lower back issues. I would also stay away from doing too much on a treadmill, as I tweaked the back of my knee in 2015 and almost missed the DCM as a result. My physio explained to me that running on a treadmill uses slightly different muscle groups as your legs are 'flipped back' at a faster pace, so be careful if you plan to use a treadmill if you are not used to running on them.

Be careful in the next 4-5 weeks and 'mind the body', as these weeks are going to be the most important of your prepp and you have worked so hard to get to this place, it would be a shame to miss out on the big day.

Keep going guys, only a few more weeks of madness and you will have that shiny DCM medal in your hands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Are any Dublin based people doing some of the marathon route as part of their LSRs? I'm planning my 16 miles and wondering if it's worth it? I was going to cut out Phoenix park/castleknock and do some of the rest of the route. But looking at it now I'm wondering if the up and down on footpaths and stopping at lights will be tedious. I don't care about any impact on time - all I want to do is finish the 16 miles. Any views or suggestions for routes that you've done already?

leesider77 wrote: »
    Are any Dublin based people doing some of the marathon route as part of their LSRs? I'm planning my 16 miles and wondering if it's worth it? I was going to cut out Phoenix park/castleknock and do some of the rest of the route. But looking at it now I'm wondering if the up and down on footpaths and stopping at lights will be tedious. I don't care about any impact on time - all I want to do is finish the 16 miles. Any views or suggestions for routes that you've done already?

I do the majority of runs in the park. Generally, like everywhere else the earlier the better. Footpaths around the park on the whole aren't a problem.

I got out on Sunday, started in the park went down the keys and back down around north circular road, into the back of the park. The park is great to have as you can have it as a base, leave water & gels by the tyres type thing.

If you don't usually do the park, I'd suggest just staying within it and going where all over it. A lap of the road around is 10km exactly, so you'd be looking at 2 1/2 for 16 miles all in all

I do the majority of runs in the park. Generally, like everywhere else the earlier the better. Footpaths around the park on the whole aren't a problem.

I got out on Sunday, started in the park went down the keys and back down around north circular road, into the back of the park. The park is great to have as you can have it as a base, leave water & gels by the tyres type thing.

If you don't usually do the park, I'd suggest just staying within it and going where all over it. A lap of the road around is 10km exactly, so you'd be looking at 2 1/2 for 16 miles all in all

Thanks for the reply. I have run in the Phoenix park before so am familiar with it. I know running in the park is easier for the reasons you mentioned above but wondering if its worth the hassle to venture outside it following part of the marathon route to get the feel for it.

Thanks for the reply. I have run in the Phoenix park before so am familiar with it. I know running in the park is easier for the reasons you mentioned above but wondering if its worth the hassle to venture outside it following part of the marathon route to get the feel for it.

On the whole, the earlier the better. Generally I never had hassle with traffic etc weekend mornings when outside the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I guess everyone will have their own ideas of what's the best way to prepare but for me running the route, or any part of it, is not a priority. I'm doing all my long runs in the park as I prefer to avoid too much road running. I am also put off by the issues you raised as well as parking and plotting a way back to my start point. I'm sure if I was hoping to shave every second from my time it might be a help to have run it but I feel I know enough about the route to know where the more difficult stretches are. If I ever tried to run Boston, New York or Berlin etc I'd know less about the route and it wouldn't be concerning me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

having a similar dilemma myself. contemplating doing the last 20 of the route (from Myos pub) but was wondering about how stop start it will be if its not very early Sat or Sunday morning. Thinking about a Friday run from about 9/9.30 but it could be mad busy at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I would recommend it, just to see the drags etc. There aren't actually that many lights to stop at once you get onto the Crumlin Rd.
    I've put this route together, starts at the canal by Leeson St, follows canal to pick up DCM at Dolphins Barn and follows route to the finish and then round through the start to your starting point.
    It's also worth it to run the finish from Nutley Lane. I couldn't get over how long that last stretch felt last year the first time I ran it on an LSR.

Linky: https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/Cv1lm4scNT

I would recommend it, just to see the drags etc. There aren't actually that many lights to stop at once you get onto the Crumlin Rd.
    I've put this route together, starts at the canal by Leeson St, follows canal to pick up DCM at Dolphins Barn and follows route to the finish and then round through the start to your starting point.
    It's also worth it to run the finish from Nutley Lane. I couldn't get over how long that last stretch felt last year the first time I ran it on an LSR.

Linky: https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/Cv1lm4scNT

This is very useful! Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah do, that horrible boring Crumlin stretch was when I knew my 4hr was gone last year. First time running it and almost fell asleep.

Anyone wondering about finishing, don't. You'll get around even if you have to walk. It's your first one so you've nothing to go off.

Even this lunatic completed it last year, I passed him as he was hitting off trees in the phoenix park and the thing looked like it weighed at least 20kg's

Eiffel-Tower-Michel-Bach-Dublin-Marathon-2016.jpg

why would ya put yourself through that!!!

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah do, that horrible boring Crumlin stretch was when I knew my 4hr was gone last year. First time running it and almost fell asleep.

Anyone wondering about finishing, don't. You'll get around even if you have to walk. It's your first one so you've nothing to go off.

Even this lunatic completed it last year, I passed him as he was hitting off trees in the phoenix park and the thing looked like it weighed at least 20kg's

I passed him somewhere around crumlin, could not believe my eyes, he looked to be in a world of pain then , don't know how he finished or what time he started out at for that matter.

Not finishing is not an option (barring injury), you've all invested too much plus you will be in the best shape you have ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Had to jig the plan around a bit this week as im a day behind with the physio appointment etc. 4m today, 4m tomorrow and 8m Friday, and then the LSR Sunday. Still dont know what pacer to go out, I reckon it will be 1:50 and push on if I can around mile 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The Muppet wrote: »
    I passed him somewhere around crumlin, could not believe my eyes, he looked to be in a world of pain then , don't know how he finished or what time he started out at for that matter.

Not finishing is not an option (barring injury), you've all invested too much plus you will be in the best shape you have ever been in.

His result is no longer online, I heard there was a DQ. I passed him in the Phoenix Park, which would have been a very impressive start and this picture has him running on the way up to Stoneybatter with a Luas still in operation and a Lead Women bike sitting around (presumably waiting for the lead woman): https://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/11/70-year-old-french-runner-completes.html

He either started early or hopped on the course around then (or both).

So, no getting ideas novices! Course cutting and wearing ridiculous gear will not help you on the day.

Singer wrote: »
    His result is no longer online, I heard there was a DQ. I passed him in the Phoenix Park, which would have been a very impressive start and this picture has him running on the way up to Stoneybatter with a Luas still in operation and a Lead Women bike sitting around (presumably waiting for the lead woman): https://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2016/11/70-year-old-french-runner-completes.html

He either started early or hopped on the course around then (or both).

So, no getting ideas novices! Course cutting and wearing ridiculous gear will not help you on the day.

I hadn't heard that but I'm not surprised , he was barely moving in crumlin , I was really surprised when I saw he'd finished.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It does seem like the time of year where injuries are starting to come into play a little more. This is understandable as you're quite deep into the plans now, some new experiences with mileage, fatigue and niggles. Rough and tumble on the body. I hope those of you who are having issues get sorted and are not too disheartened. If you have to write something off that's OK. You'd probably be hard pressed to find a novice who completed every run as per the plan. I had a slight mental blip myself out there tonight, but finished on a high (doesn't always happen when blips hit).

Remember that in the OP your mentor said that you'll probably be more prepared compared to many others on the start line. Trust in that. Also, I see that 'respecting the distance', has started to sink more concretely now - this is a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Ran Grant Thornton 5k there this evening - it wasn't as busy as last year, and the Garmin read 5.3k, so hopefully no more complaints about short course etc... Really enjoyed it and bagged a new official/recorded PB (24m 20s).

DCM training is really working on improving stamina/endurance because unlike last year, I did not run out of steam at 3k mark after the fast start, I was slowing down a tiny bit but I was still making progress. At 4k mark I started a mental game - counting +1 as I overtake someone, and -1 if someone overtakes me. Lets call it my 'run index'. It was very 'volatile' for a while but once I got into it I was enjoying reeling in runners one by one and keeping my 'run index' in positive territory. This really took my mind off the fatigue and made the last km enjoyable and fast. I finished couple of points below zero due to sprint finishers, but a new PB is sweat nonetheless.

Ran Grant Thornton 5k there this evening - it wasn't as busy as last year, and the Garmin read 5.3k, so hopefully no more complaints about short course etc... Really enjoyed it and bagged a new official/recorded PB (24m 20s).

DCM training is really working on improving stamina/endurance because unlike last year, I did not run out of steam at 3k mark after the fast start, I was slowing down a tiny bit but I was still making progress. At 4k mark I started a mental game - counting +1 as I overtake someone, and -1 if someone overtakes me. Lets call it my 'run index'. It was very 'volatile' for a while but once I got into it I was enjoying reeling in runners one by one and keeping my 'run index' in positive territory. This really took my mind off the fatigue and made the last km enjoyable and fast. I finished couple of points below zero due to sprint finishers, but a new PB is sweat nonetheless.

Well done on the pb. That's not an easy achievement during marathon training. I honestly think if i attempted a 5k now i'd be at least 2 minutes off my PB.

I've done the 3 midweek runs. First time i ran late evening and early the following day so just about 12hrs between runs, i found the morning run tough to be honest but aside from the LSR i'm not used to running in the morning. Nights are getting cooler & darker now, for the 8m i was wearing sunglasses leaving the house and brought a torch with me for later :pac: :pac: :pac: felt a bit silly with the torch heading off but it was pitch dark near the end and i was damn glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

At 4k mark I started a mental game - counting +1 as I overtake someone, and -1 if someone overtakes me. Lets call it my 'run index'. It was very 'volatile' for a while but once I got into it I was enjoying reeling in runners one by one and keeping my 'run index' in positive territory. .

Congrats on the PB!!

The 'Run Index' - never heard of this before and I love it!! :D

I'll certainly be using this again - sounds like a great trick to keep the mind focused.

Congrats on the PB!!

The 'Run Index' - never heard of this before and I love it!! :D

I'll certainly be using this again - sounds like a great trick to keep the mind focused.

I was thinking the same til i realised i probably wouldn't be capable of that kind of maths in the last km of a 5k race :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

My week has not gone to plan at all :( I ran on Tuesday and enjoyed it, but was very sore on Wednesday I think a combination of soreness from Physio and my right knee was hurting a lot, it is a lot better today thankfully, but today is a write off as well, here I was thinking with kids being back in school it would be less crazy LOL

I am feeling very nervous over the weekend we booked Achill Quest in April and it is the longest distance we are doing, I wish it was later in the year like November :) rather than this weekend!!

The run will be 2 hours or more long with possibly 3 hours for the cycle I think slow and steady will be my motto for the day

positron well done the PR that is great, I am not sure I have it in me at the minute LOL normally I am very good at a sprint finish but my running buddy left me for dust on Tuesday :D

Anyone else find they have a fairly constant slight achey tired feeling in their legs? And are even getting a wee bit smug used to the feeling :P

Baby75 wrote: »
    My week has not gone to plan at all :( I ran on Tuesday and enjoyed it, but was very sore on Wednesday I think a combination of soreness from Physio and my right knee was hurting a lot, it is a lot better today thankfully, but today is a write off as well, here I was thinking with kids being back in school it would be less crazy LOL

I am feeling very nervous over the weekend we booked Achill Quest in April and it is the longest distance we are doing, I wish it was later in the year like November :) rather than this weekend!!

The run will be 2 hours or more long with possibly 3 hours for the cycle I think slow and steady will be my motto for the day

positron well done the PR that is great, I am not sure I have it in me at the minute LOL normally I am very good at a sprint finish but my running buddy left me for dust on Tuesday :D

Baby75 can you drop down to a different distance? Or dare i say would you consider pulling out (keep the main thing the main thing)?

Sorry about the knee. Did your physio give you an advice with regards to icing it after runs or anything like that which may help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Meant to be having a rest day today, and doing the LSR tomorrow, but real life gets in the way again, had to go to the Drs and the post office for work, so with the van in the garage, had to do a 10km cycle, in the wind and rain. Could be worse though, could have done the 24km cycle yesterday in that weather, instead of the lovely calm, sunny day we did have.

Last night I was all determined, that I would run to Ballina to collect the van tomorrow, today it seems like a really, really bad idea.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Anyone else find they have a fairly constant slight achey tired feeling in their legs? And are even getting a wee bit smug used to the feeling :P

definitely a constant tiredness

Advertisement