Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

ariana` wrote: »
    Baby75 can you drop down to a different distance? Or dare i say would you consider pulling out (keep the main thing the main thing)?

Sorry about the knee. Did your physio give you an advice with regards to icing it after runs or anything like that which may help?

I will check it out see if I can, I have been training for it since April but the shorter distance is more appealing lol the nerves are setting in I'm ok with the running I'll walk the steep up hill and jog the rest I'm not racing it and next year I'll be doing nothing before DCM lol well nothing this far in to the plan.

My knee is hurting because of tight muscles in my hips I have loads of stretches to do and resting it I'm going to drop him message and mention it see what he recommends. He never found anything wrong when I was there. It's not sore to touch no heat or swelling hope it's not something else only starting now eek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

muddypaws wrote: »
    Meant to be having a rest day today, and doing the LSR tomorrow, but real life gets in the way again, had to go to the Drs and the post office for work, so with the van in the garage, had to do a 10km cycle, in the wind and rain. Could be worse though, could have done the 24km cycle yesterday in that weather, instead of the lovely calm, sunny day we did have.

Last night I was all determined, that I would run to Ballina to collect the van tomorrow, today it seems like a really, really bad idea.

Great cross training.
    Baby75 wrote: »

I will check it out see if I can, I have been training for it since April but the shorter distance is more appealing lol the nerves are setting in I'm ok with the running I'll walk the steep up hill and jog the rest I'm not racing it and next year I'll be doing nothing before DCM lol well nothing this far in to the plan.

My knee is hurting because of tight muscles in my hips I have loads of stretches to do and resting it I'm going to drop him message and mention it see what he recommends. He never found anything wrong when I was there. It's not sore to touch no heat or swelling hope it's not something else only starting now eek

Hope it's better tomorrow. I have very tight muscles in general, my hammies are the worst, i find yoga helps. My knee was sore before and the physio couldn't find anything but a good sports massage immediately threw up a very tight ITB and some deep work on it resolved the knee issue (*disclaimer obviously this is not medical advise just my experience fwiw).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

I don't know where to start with my run today.
    I guess the positives should come first. I can definitely say that I'm fully committed to this as I took a precious half day off work to do it as I have a wedding at the weekend. When someone suggested this back at the start of this thread I thought they were nuts but I guess I'm the crazy one now :-)
    So I completed 16 miles and did approx the last 15 miles of the DCM route. I used the run go app to direct me and it worked really well. It's good to know that there is nothing scary in that part of the route so that will give me confidence on the day because I will definitely need it! The run was torture from start to finish. I nearly didn't go at all because there were a few things going on at work which in the end I just abandoned and then ended up stressing about them while I was running. I wanted to give up at 7 miles but knew I would never forgive myself if I did after making the call to go ahead with the run. It was wet and windy when I started out so wore my hat and rain jacket and after 2.5 km I realized it was a mistake as I was far too hot. Then my socks felt like they were giving me blisters so had to stop about 5 times to fix them ( I wear these socks all the time). In my haste to get going I left my water in the car so had to stop at 2 shops to buy water and since they had no little bottles I ended up carrying it. And I was under time pressure to be back home to my childminder so every time I had to stop at a traffic light it annoyed me. My knee started aching at 13 miles as well so hope that a bit of rest will sort it.

I've a good few days to get myself together for the next LSR and the step back week will help too. I'm definitely better off doing them at the weekends when there is less going on.

Sorry for the moan - I guess it's 16 miles in the bag and I need to focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Bit of a disaster at the moment for me. I'm just hoping it's not a major one.

I've been in denial the last three weeks or so about my injury from January creeping back. I've pain in various areas in my right leg, I'm not sure if it's the calf, the achillies or shin splints, but I feel now like I did a week before the Raheny 5 when I was advised not to run it. I did and was out of action until April.

Went out last night for 4m and ran at about HM pace to confirm it or not to myself. Felt really strong, felt great actually. Came home and iced it and still felt good. Today though it feels bad.

I've made the really reluctant decision to lace down until next Thursday and then see how it feels. I'm really disheartened but optimistic at the same time that I'm making the right decision at the right time. Have a physio booked for Tuesday. Really gutted about missing the 20 miler on Saturday, gonna volunteer at parkrun for my fix and then maybe go swimming.

On the plus side I can take advantage and do some intense leg work at the gym on Monday morning, bar the calfs obv.

It's weird, the fears and anxiety I had last week around it are gone now that I've accepted it's here and it's real. Just deal with it now and be more clever than before.

New target: Toeing the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »

I've been in denial the last three weeks or so about my injury from January creeping back. I've pain in various areas in my right leg, I'm not sure if it's the calf, the achillies or shin splints, but I feel now like I did a week before the Raheny 5 when I was advised not to run it. I did and was out of action until April.

Went out last night for 4m and ran at about HM pace to confirm it or not to myself. Felt really strong, felt great actually. Came home and iced it and still felt good. Today though it feels bad.

I've made the really reluctant decision to lace down until next Thursday and then see how it feels. I'm really disheartened but optimistic at the same time that I'm making the right decision at the right time. Have a physio booked for Tuesday. Really gutted about missing the 20 miler on Saturday, gonna volunteer at parkrun for my fix and then maybe go swimming.

On the plus side I can take advantage and do some intense leg work at the gym on Monday morning, bar the calfs obv.

It's weird, the fears and anxiety I had last week around it are gone now that I've accepted it's here and it's real. Just deal with it now and be more clever than before.

Really sorry to hear this. You're right though, go with your gut instinct. At this stage most of us have fatigued muscles, niggles or minor injuries threatening. It takes guts to take the step back and rest at this stage. Best to get to the root of the problem now, sort it out and come back strong for the last few weeks training.
    I was reading last years thread and the mentor came up with a slightly amended Boards training plan for one of the novices whose training had been disrupted during the plan. IIRC it involved delaying the taper a bit. Anyhow hopefully it's no more than a week. Chin up!

• Advertisement

A question about visiting a physio. Tuesday will be my first time.

Do they go off your description of pain to diagnose or can they tell themselves by examining? I'm sure it depends on the injury, but in my case, my leg looks fine.

I'm writing down a description of the pain as it is now, does it hurt if I do this or that etc, just in case the rest over the next few days makes the pain go.

When I say 'pain', it's more discomfort, I'm not limping or anything. I was after Raheny though, hence the decision to temporarily stop training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

leesider77 wrote: »
    I don't know where to start with my run today.
    I guess the positives should come first. I can definitely say that I'm fully committed to this as I took a precious half day off work to do it as I have a wedding at the weekend. When someone suggested this back at the start of this thread I thought they were nuts but I guess I'm the crazy one now :-)
    So I completed 16 miles and did approx the last 15 miles of the DCM route. I used the run go app to direct me and it worked really well. It's good to know that there is nothing scary in that part of the route so that will give me confidence on the day because I will definitely need it! The run was torture from start to finish. I nearly didn't go at all because there were a few things going on at work which in the end I just abandoned and then ended up stressing about them while I was running. I wanted to give up at 7 miles but knew I would never forgive myself if I did after making the call to go ahead with the run. It was wet and windy when I started out so wore my hat and rain jacket and after 2.5 km I realized it was a mistake as I was far too hot. Then my socks felt like they were giving me blisters so had to stop about 5 times to fix them ( I wear these socks all the time). In my haste to get going I left my water in the car so had to stop at 2 shops to buy water and since they had no little bottles I ended up carrying it. And I was under time pressure to be back home to my childminder so every time I had to stop at a traffic light it annoyed me. My knee started aching at 13 miles as well so hope that a bit of rest will sort it.

I've a good few days to get myself together for the next LSR and the step back week will help too. I'm definitely better off doing them at the weekends when there is less going on.

Sorry for the moan - I guess it's 16 miles in the bag and I need to focus on that.

It's 16 miles in the bag, the back end of the Marathon route faced down and completed despite a myriad of complications and problems which you won't have to face on the big day. To me that's a good run and should boost your confidence. Well done! :)

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this. You're right though, go with your gut instinct. At this stage most of us have fatigued muscles, niggles or minor injuries threatening. It takes guts to take the step back and rest at this stage. Best to get to the root of the problem now, sort it out and come back strong for the last few weeks training.
    I was reading last years thread and the mentor came up with a slightly amended Boards training plan for one of the novices whose training had been disrupted during the plan. IIRC it involved delaying the taper a bit. Anyhow hopefully it's no more than a week. Chin up!

Cheers bro.

I feel it's the right time, if a weeks rest and RICE sorts it out at this stage I'm not out of the game. If I kept at it and ignored the reality I'd be standing at Walkinstown roundabout cheering you guys on.

Baby75 wrote: »

I guess you need to ask yourself which do you want more. The adventure race or the marathon. Because you may risk your marathon by pushing yourself in the adventure race. I really hope not but the risk there.

Do they go off your description of pain to diagnose or can they tell themselves by examining? I'm sure it depends on the injury, but in my case, my leg looks fine.

I'm writing down a description of the pain as it is now, does it hurt if I do this or that etc, just in case the rest over the next few days makes the pain go.

When I say 'pain', it's more discomfort, I'm not limping or anything. I was after Raheny though, hence the decision to temporarily stop training.

They will ask the scale of the pain and when it hurts most. What you did in the lead up and the current week that brought it on. Then they will kinda push gently your leg ( technical terms :-)) to see what movements hurt more. I also had to run and do some exercises and describe how I felt during them. Really hope it's nothing serious but you are doing the right thing getting it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

They will ask the scale of the pain and when it hurts most. What you did in the lead up and the current week that brought it on. Then they will kinda push gently your leg ( technical terms :-)) to see what movements hurt more. I also had to run and do some exercises and describe how I felt during them. Really hope it's nothing serious but you are doing the right thing getting it checked.

Yep, this was exactly how mine went down. Lazare don't put yourself down too much, it could be an easy fix and you'll be back running next week here's hoping! Just don't get the thoughts of not running DCM in your head, I did the other night and my head was absolutely melted! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

They'll be able to tell by examining you after taking your history. I'd pain in my calf and turned out if was a hip and foot issue causing one of the calf muscles to shorten so that it ended up in a huge knot. I'd no pain in the hip so had no idea. The physio kept me running the whole time she was 'fixing' me and it took just four sessions to fix a year of pounding on the leg. Fingers crossed it will be an easy fix for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Well done on your run today, it will give you a huge boost on marathon day knowing you've completed the last 16 miles. Go and enjoy your wedding now!!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    They'll be able to tell by examining you after taking your history. I'd pain in my calf and turned out if was a hip and foot issue causing one of the calf muscles to shorten so that it ended up in a huge knot. I'd no pain in the hip so had no idea. The physio kept me running the whole time she was 'fixing' me and it took just four sessions to fix a year of pounding on the leg. Fingers crossed it will be an easy fix for you too.

Thank you.

When I went for a gait analysis recently it showed my right foot lands slightly pointed to the right, my left foot lands straight. Could well be the issue. Although I'm not entirely sure whether the pain is coming from my calf or my achillies. It seems to be in various different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I've been in denial the last three weeks or so about my injury from January creeping back. I've pain in various areas in my right leg, I'm not sure if it's the calf, the achillies or shin splints, but I feel now like I did a week before the Raheny 5 when I was advised not to run it. I did and was out of action until April

Sorry to hear this but you're right to get it looked at now.
    I'm having my own knee issues at the moment, thinks it's coming from the hip & IT band so going to physio tomorrow as well.
    I think most of us are feeling the pain as the miles ramp up so you're not on your own! It enviable we're all going to miss some sessions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hope it's better tomorrow. I have very tight muscles in general, my hammies are the worst, i find yoga helps. My knee was sore before and the physio couldn't find anything but a good sports massage immediately threw up a very tight ITB and some deep work on it resolved the knee issue (*disclaimer obviously this is not medical advise just my experience fwiw).

It is feeling better this evening no problems walking or going up and down the stairs! I actually did wonder about a tight IT band and I will get that checked out just in case
    I guess you need to ask yourself which do you want more. The adventure race or the marathon. Because you may risk your marathon by pushing yourself in the adventure race. I really hope not but the risk there.
    No I agree, so I won't be pushing myself I am just going to enjoy the experience and take it easy, I am not aiming to win or get a PR in the run still checking if I can move down either :) it will mean no racing the Half either but that is ok and was my plan anyway. it is all a first for me so really I am always happy to finish
    Cheers bro.

I feel it's the right time, if a weeks rest and RICE sorts it out at this stage I'm not out of the game. If I kept at it and ignored the reality I'd be standing at Walkinstown roundabout cheering you guys on.

Good luck and I hope the rest and RICE sort it out for you :)

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Yep, this was exactly how mine went down. Lazare don't put yourself down too much, it could be an easy fix and you'll be back running next week here's hoping! Just don't get the thoughts of not running DCM in your head, I did the other night and my head was absolutely melted! :pac:

Cheers Damo, they're scary thoughts alright.

I think I'm lucky though to have gone through this already and made mistakes that I could learn from. I'm hopeful that I've acted on it in good time.

I'm running that MOFO

I would recommend it, just to see the drags etc. There aren't actually that many lights to stop at once you get onto the Crumlin Rd.
    I've put this route together, starts at the canal by Leeson St, follows canal to pick up DCM at Dolphins Barn and follows route to the finish and then round through the start to your starting point.
    It's also worth it to run the finish from Nutley Lane. I couldn't get over how long that last stretch felt last year the first time I ran it on an LSR.

Linky: https://routes.rungoapp.com/route/Cv1lm4scNT

Thanks again for posting this. I used it today and it worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

skyblue46 wrote: »

Cheers bro.

100% you are making the right call. Missing a few days if is not the end of the world . Running on it if theres something not quite right could well scupper all you hard work to date.

Hope it's nothing that the physio can't sort out for you quickly. The best of luck .

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hey all, haven't had time to post recently but I've been following the thread and keeping an eye on Strava. We're well on our way now.

Week 16/26 FD 10 mile was fantastic. Planning to race the half marathon after the advice here so took FD10 handy and managed 1:17. First 10mile race, really enjoyed it!

Week 17/26 Last weeks LSR was 24km. Felt great. I can feel the miles in my legs some days but just a tiredness. Need to remember to do some stretching and I haven't done weights lately.

Week 18/26 This weeks LSR will be 26km and the second longest run (besides d-day). Have my route planned and looking forward to it.

Link to my plan and progress.

Well done everyone, keep it up. To those taking time off with injuries, I look forward to reading your updates shortly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Definitely the right decision to rest up and get it checked. Kudos for having the senses to do this rather than ploughing on and risking a bad injury.

Hopefully you'll be back on the road next week!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well, that's more like it!!

16m (25.48km to be precise) done. :)

A long way to restore the confidence of the last two weeks' bad runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

20m tonight or 20m early in the morning (6am). decisions decisions

Good luck with the Physio. Others have given you great advice already, i'll just add to make sure you wear/bring running shorts and your current runners as he'll want to see those! Fingers Xed for a speedy recovery x
    quickbeam wrote: »

Whoop whoop super well done!
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    20m tonight or 20m early in the morning (6am). decisions decisions

Do you usually do early or late? I'd stick with whatever you're used to. I'm an early morning person for LSRs generally but in 2 weeks time hubby has a stag so i'll have to do it on the Sunday evening, not ideal :rolleyes:

Super! Well done. You must have been up at the crack of dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Do you usually do early or late? I'd stick with whatever you're used to. I'm an early morning person for LSRs generally but in 2 weeks time hubby has a stag so i'll have to do it on the Sunday evening, not ideal :rolleyes:

mixture of both. prefer early but have some stuff on with the kids in the morning so would need to leave at 6ish to be back for my wife going to work.

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    mixture of both. prefer early but have some stuff on with the kids in the morning so would need to leave at 6ish to be back for my wife going to work.

6ish wouldn't be unheard of for me either for the same reasons kids have stuff on from 10 onward :rolleyes: I never really thought of doing it on a Friday evening, i suppose Sat morning is just routine now even if that means an early start. Let us know how you get on, hard to believe we're at the magic 20m stage already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

What time did you do it in fellow wolfy.

My foots still sore from last sundays 12.5 mile run. Ran 2 miles yesterday and its not any worse, a little better. Might go out for a 3 or 4 mile run today before going for an LSR on sunday.

Have been in the gym 3 time ssince sunday though, so keeping my body working.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What time did you do it in fellow wolfy.

My foots still sore from last sundays 12.5 mile run. Ran 2 miles yesterday and its not any worse, a little better. Might go out for a 3 or 4 mile run today before going for an LSR on sunday.

Have been in the gym 3 time ssince sunday though, so keeping my body working.

Oh, it was real slow, 3:18. Though I deliberately didn't check my pace on the watch as I went along and tried to go by feel instead. It worked out (marginally) faster than I'd have expected.

As Leesider said, I was up at crazy o'clock to do it, but I like morning runs when the roads are still quiet so no regrets.

Knackered now. End-game is keeping me awake though.

• Advertisement

Oh, it was real slow, 3:18. Though I deliberately didn't check my pace on the watch as I went along and tried to go by feel instead. It worked out (marginally) faster than I'd have expected.

As Leesider said, I was up at crazy o'clock to do it, but I like morning runs when the roads are still quiet so no regrets.

Knackered now. End-game is keeping me awake though.

My LSR's are only a small bit quicker QB, for example i did my 16m in 2:58. It's great to have it done, i prefer the early morning too, i set an alarm for Sat morning and get out before the rest of the house are even up, means i'm up & out before i have a chance to think about it too much!

Advertisement