Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

beakerjoe wrote: »
    What time did you do it in fellow wolfy.

My foots still sore from last sundays 12.5 mile run. Ran 2 miles yesterday and its not any worse, a little better. Might go out for a 3 or 4 mile run today before going for an LSR on sunday.

Have been in the gym 3 time ssince sunday though, so keeping my body working.

Do you have a golf ball? I'm get some tightness through my heel after the long run and i find rolling it on a golf ball really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Best of luck to everyone doing their long runs this weekend. For Boards plan followers this is the longest run of the plan..be safe out there!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

20.5m last night. Last few miles were tough as hell. Hit 20 and decided to run an extra few mins till the clock hit 3hrs. Sore last night but not 'too' stiff this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    20.5m last night. Last few miles were tough as hell. Hit 20 and decided to run an extra few mins till the clock hit 3hrs. Sore last night but not 'too' stiff this morning

Well done. Sounds like you had a great pace.

I'm taking this weekend as a step back and doing a 10 mile race this eve. Possibly not going to race it though as have a head cold and afraid I'll do more harm than good. Annoying :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My week:

Monday -
    Meant to be my 16m LSR, but only did 15.39km so designated it my 8m Easy instead. Pace of 8:01. Explained already about the problems I had on it with gels.

Tuesday -
    6.38km leisurely walk

Wednesday -
    Intended to retry my LSR this day but had a blister and was also rather tired, so thought best too not push to much and did, ostensibly my one of my 4m Easy runs, but only did 5.12km to make up for going more than 8m on Monday. Pace was 6:48, which is faster than I'd intended it to be, but it didn't feel fast when doing it.

Thursday -
    Complete rest.

Friday -
    At last my 16m LSR. Did 25.48km at 7:47. Didn't check my pace as I ran as I wanted to go by feel instead of the watch. I was up very early to do it and it was lovely. From about 8km to 14km I got in to a lovely medative state where the kilometres just ticked away and my mind went elsewhere. It helped that I knew the route well and any roads I had to cross were quiet at that time of morning so I didn't have to snap out of it to pay attention to traffic. After that it became tougher as the energy drained and the traffic increased. At 20km I took a Sis Gel - I was close enough to home that if there were any ill effects I'd not be in trouble, and also done enough kilometres not to feel like a failure. But, hallelulah, I got no ill effects from it at all. I finished in better condition than I'd finished many a LSR before, even of shorter distances. I felt that I probably had a *little* more in the tank should I have had to go further, though I was *very* happy that I didn't *have* to go further and could stop. Whatever extra I had wouldn't have have got me to 20m, never mind 26m, but at least I feel it's progress.

Distance done takes me to Kimmage on the marathon route, almost to the KCR.

Saturday -
    Was tired after the LSR so did consider postponing my run, as there was another 4m on the plan to do, but I headed out this morning on the basis that if I didn't feel up for it, to cut it short. I ran to Parkrun, 6.17km at 7:20, volunteered, and walked ~2km home at a moderately brisk pace. Happy to have all my runs completed and can now relax for the rest of the weekend.

Sunday -
    Plan complete rest.

Total for the week: 52.16km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

20 miles. Done. Starting to feel so close but still seems such a massive leap to 26.2

I had my old neighbour pull over in the car to chat with me as I was on the last 3 miles. I've never had to be so polite, while being so wrecked and hating someone so much for sitting down!

Had my 1st ever DNF today. Feel like crying now and just want to pull the plug on DCM altogether :(

Woke feeling a bit off but thought it was just in my head. Forced the porridge down and drove the 45 mins to the HM. Rang hubby, still feeling nauseous, he convinced me it was nerves and it'd pass.

Race started and I kept telling myself I felt ok while stomach went in/out of spasms. Settled behind 2 blokes obviously out for an nice easy training run chatting away! Got through 5km but was sweating profusely and still feeling waves of nausea. First 5k was between HMP and PMP. The second 5km was torture, a real battle. I approached the finish line for the 2nd time and it was a battle not to run to the car. Just keep going even if it's LSR pace.....Another km and what's that? Oh crap spew everywhere (well ok into the side of the trees) and that's the end of my hm :(

At home now feeling so down about everything. I just want to pull the plug right now :( I'm not even convinced if I'm sick or its just that I'm a mega wuss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Awww, hugs, ariana. I know the "pull the plug" feeling. :(

You clearly weren't well. And you still did 10+km even when feeling poorly. You'd have to have some stamina for that in your state.

I know it's hard so soon after it, but try not to beat yourself up. Get rest, ged fed, get hydrated and get well, and give the next run a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Don't let one bad outing discourage you Ariana these things are going to happen and there could be a multitude of reasons for this.

Take things easy and rest up for the weekend.....you are pushing your body to places it had never been before. Think back on all the progress you have made from the start of this process and where you are now compared to then.

Get sorted and get back on track.

Some great 20 mile efforts I see; I always though of this as one of the big landmarks in training.

Keep the reports and updates coming in. I am jealous of where you are all now as your first marathon will be something special

Craig

ariana` wrote: »
    Had my 1st ever DNF today. Feel like crying now and just want to pull the plug on DCM altogether :(

Woke feeling a bit off but thought it was just in my head. Forced the porridge down and drove the 45 mins to the HM. Rang hubby, still feeling nauseous, he convinced me it was nerves and it'd pass.

Race started and I kept telling myself I felt ok while stomach went in/out of spasms. Settled behind 2 blokes obviously out for an nice easy training run chatting away! Got through 5km but was sweating profusely and still feeling waves of nausea. First 5k was between HMP and PMP. The second 5km was torture, a real battle. I approached the finish line for the 2nd time and it was a battle not to run to the car. Just keep going even if it's LSR pace.....Another km and what's that? Oh crap spew everywhere (well ok into the side of the trees) and that's the end of my hm :(

At home now feeling so down about everything. I just want to pull the plug right now :( I'm not even convinced if I'm sick or its just that I'm a mega wuss.

Oh you poor thing. You did very well under the circumstance and you obviously weren't well before you even started. Take a break for a few days and get yourself better and you'll come back even stronger. Unfortunately a side effect of the heavy training schedules for marathons is that you are breaking your body down from all the hard work. Give yourself a chance to recover and you'll be flying it. All the training you have done until now will stand to you.

• Advertisement

Got 22 miles done today. Was feeling grand for about 19m, in fact having to force myself to stay above PMP for some stretches of road. Tried that hill out of Chapelizod mid way through the run and it's not too bad at all. My version of heartbreak hill was from the Quays, up Manor Street and Aughrim Street after 18/19 miles! Had to dig in a bit there!! Thank God it comes in the first few miles on marathon day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Ariana - you've put in too much hard work to let one bad run defeat you. You were feeling sick before you even started so you are obviously sick. Give yourself a break and get some rest and you'll come back stronger.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me.

Some amazing long runs being done this weekend already, even a 22 miler, wowsers, amazing, 26 will be a walk in the park skyblue!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me.

Some amazing long runs being done this weekend already, even a 22 miler, wowsers, amazing, 26 will be a walk in the park skyblue!

Haha I just painted a rosy picture. I didn't mention the sore feet and the bleeding caused by a couple of toenails cutting into the toe beside. But yes it was a huge confidence booster. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd consider next weeks 16 miler a shortish run!!!

Just wait until Wubble is along with some advice for Manicure Monday!

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha I just painted a rosy picture. I didn't mention the sore feet and the bleeding caused by a couple of toenails cutting into the toe beside. But yes it was a huge confidence booster. Never thought I'd see the day where I'd consider next weeks 16 miler a shortish run!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Ariana, you were not well and paid the unfortunate price for it.
    Don't let that take away from all the hard work and effort you've put in to date. Look after yourself for a few day, get over whatever bug you've got and get back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

I think you're amazing ariana for even getting to the starting line let alone running 10k when you were obviously sick before you even started.
    Don't forget how well you did last week in your 19m lsr, rest up for the rest of the weekend and I hope you feel better tomorrow

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Ariana, you were not well and paid the unfortunate price for it.
    Don't let that take away from all the hard work and effort you've put in to date. Look after yourself for a few day, get over whatever bug you've got and get back on the road.

+1 to this. It was unfortunate but much better an illness than an injury. Hopefully it's only a 24 or 48 hour bug and you'll be right as rain in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Got 22 miles done today. Was feeling grand for about 19m, in fact having to force myself to stay above PMP for some stretches of road. Tried that hill out of Chapelizod mid way through the run and it's not too bad at all. My version of heartbreak hill was from the Quays, up Manor Street and Aughrim Street after 18/19 miles! Had to dig in a bit there!! Thank God it comes in the first few miles on marathon day :)

Wow well done, that's a huge confidence booster.

Ah I've a tear in my eye reading all the nice posts. I've taken mottilium and still feel woeful so i think it is a bug of some sort. I'm hoping it's a 24hr one and i might manage an lsr of some sort tomorrow. Really feel I need the psychological boost now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry to read that , sounds like you have a bug as you have been flying up to now , make sure you are felling better before going out again.

Don't be too down about today I believe a bad day in training can actually be a positive thing in the overall picture , you will have learned things today (that you wouldn't have otherwise )which you can put to use on the day should the need arise.

Rest , get well and you will be flying again in no time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

So sorry you had a sh1tty day Ariana, but that's all it is, a day. Put it and all it's negativity behind you and get back on the horse when you're feeling better.

You're one person on here that I look up to and am always impressed by.

Keep her lit. :)

Relish the tough times during your training, for without them the sense of achievement is diminished.

Lazare wrote: »
    Relish the tough times during your training, for without them the sense of achievement is diminished.

So so true, well said, it's one to remember :)

Lazare wrote: »

Speaking of tough times how is the leg today?

Speaking of tough times how is the leg today?

It's better which is good. I tried a little jog at parkrun this morning (was volunteering) and it hurt a little. I'm hopeful that it only needs another few days rest.

Cheers Sean, and very well done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Just wait until Wubble is along with some advice for Manicure Monday!

Manicure Monday!

What happened to Toenail Tuesday?

My week's running is finished now with a 10 mile race this evening. Took it handy for the first half as have a head cold but did the second half faster and enjoyed playing Positron's run index game and only one person passed me out - it's a great game �� Delighted with my time in the end.

Back to LSRs now and planning 19 miles for next Saturday. Hip giving me a bit of trouble but hopefully if I slow down and take my midweek runs a bit easier I'll be fine.

Good luck to anybody doing LSRs tomorrow.

Had to be changed when the marathon was pulled forward to the Sunday.....I think that's what it was called on the Novices thread last year.
    Phoebas wrote: »
    Manicure Monday!

What happened to Toenail Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well happy to report I survived today the run was cut short and no kayak as the winds were to high galeforce at the top of the mountain

But no issue with knees and hips were grand as well felt the normal LSR fatigue but have recovered all ready well I'm feeling good lol my back was hurting on the bike but I think it was from the run down hill it was fun stretching it out but all ok now. It took me 4 hours eek

Well done to all running LSR great reading every ones posts

Advertisement