Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Kelly and Baby well done on the races/events. Baby the bad weather prob worked out well for you that there was no kayak save any risk of injury. Rest up now and recover both.

Lazare really hope the knee settles with some rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well happy to report I survived today the run was cut short and no kayak as the winds were to high galeforce at the top of the mountain

But no issue with knees and hips were grand as well felt the normal LSR fatigue but have recovered all ready well I'm feeling good lol  my back was hurting on the bike but I think it was from the run down hill it was fun stretching it out but all ok now. It took me 4 hours eek

Well done to all running LSR  great reading every ones posts
    Well done! Glad that you came through it unscathed.The winds must have made the cycle tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Weeks 10 and 11

I was on holidays for the last 2 weeks. I had planned to do more but managed 5 runs. Most were on a treadmill in a very hot gym. The longest run was 11 miles.
    Jetlag means I wont get the 20 miles done today either.

Should I just start back into the plan as normal from tomorrow?

Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | Rest|
    Wed | Rest|
    Thu | Rest |
    Fri | 11 Mile LSR | 10:55
    Sat | 2 Mile Recovery | 11:00
    Sun | Rest|
    Day | Run | Pace
    Mon | Rest|
    Tue | Rest|
    Wed | 4 Mile Easy| 10:22
    Thu | 8.35 Mile Easy|10:47
    Fri | 4 Mile Easy| 10:38
    Sat | Rest|
    Sun | Rest|
    Well done on all the 20 mile plus long runs. Great achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Week 10 report

The beginning of the third quarter and the weeks with the big mileage.

Monday - 4m easy
    Tuesday - 8m easy
    Wednesday - gym. Mostly upper body stuff.
    Thursday - boards session. 4m @ 8.10 with 5 strides finished with a cool down jog to the house.
    Friday - full body. Squats and pull up pyramid.
    Saturday - 20.1m. Took this a bit easier than last week as I wanted to make sure I spent a bit more time on my feet. Good run but hard going into the heavy winds off the Atlantic. Tried out my gels at the timings I plan to do it for the race.
    Sunday - 5m slow recovery.

I felt absolutely shattered this week. Finding it hard to concentrate at work and the start and end of some runs can feel exhausting even at an easy pace.

Absolutely emptied the cupboards after the long run. I was even considering eating the cupboards themselves I was that hungry ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic week RD, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RolandDeschain

Lazare wrote: »
    Fantastic week RD, well done.

Thanks Lazare. Hopefully, the leg heals up and you'll be back running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Absolutely shattered today, in no mood for a run at all and have bad migraines all week. How bad would it be to push my LSR to tomorrow and then train wed-fri and a LSR on Sunday.

Well done to everyone on the great runs this week, people absolutely smashing 20 milers (and a 22 miler :eek:) Ariana hang in there and don't give up yet seriously, you've come so far and the good runs definitely outweigh the ones you are thinking of giving up over. Youll be in the best shape you've ever been in and the atmosphere from what I've heard will be enough to get us through if our legs don't want to!

Mental to think it's 49 days till the big day, and that the runs we thought were long in July are now the runs we look forward to the most for a break on the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Absolutely shattered today, in no mood for a run at all and have bad migraines all week. How bad would it be to push my LSR to tomorrow and then train wed-fri and a LSR on Sunday.

Well done to everyone on the great runs this week, people absolutely smashing 20 milers (and a 22 miler :eek:) Ariana hang in there and don't give up yet seriously, you've come so far and the good runs definitely outweigh the ones you are thinking of giving up over. Youll be in the best shape you've ever been in and the atmosphere from what I've heard will be enough to get us through if our legs don't want to!

Mental to think it's 49 days till the big day, and that the runs we thought were long in July are now the runs we look forward to the most for a break on the legs.

Right or wrong, thats what I'm doing, with broken down vehicles, and working away, no LSR done this week yet, so planning on doing it tomorrow, then as its a step back week next week, the LSR is 12 miles, so will do that next weekend as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

So this is the second long run I have missed in a row - was doing well this week until the weekend when life intervened and family stuff came up and now no LSR again! Feeling pissed with myself, can't afford to be missing the long runs and my foot is starting to come back to itself. Cannot do LSR tomorrow due to work, will be able to do a long run Tuesday or Sunday this week but this week is mental the other days due to work/conferences 😡 I'm not sure how I'm going to get all runs in. I'm feeling pissed ++. I have been working hard and I'm afraid that I am running out of time and won't get enough long runs in. I'm probably having a rant and want somebody to tell me it will all be ok!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Sillymoo it'll all be ok! :)
    I think I know how you feel - I missed a few LSRs due injury and really feel like I'm playing catch up now, but we'll get as much as we can done and get to the start line. Why not do this weeks LSR on Tuesday and next weeks on Sunday. If you need to ditch one or two of the midweek sessions due time constraints, so be it, but I think it'll be more important to get the LSRs done. Both from a physical training and psychological POV. And don't forget to keep your rest days in the schedule too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Candamir wrote: »
    Sillymoo it'll all be ok! :)
    I think I know how you feel - I missed a few LSRs due injury and really feel like I'm playing catch up now, but we'll get as much as we can done and get to the start line. Why not do this weeks LSR on Tuesday and next weeks on Sunday. If you need to ditch one or two of the midweek sessions due time constraints, so be it, but I think it'll be more important to get the LSRs done. Both from a physical training and psychological POV. And don't forget to keep your rest days in the schedule too.

Thanks Candamir, feeling a little better now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Week 11

Monday: strength & conditioning dvd
    Tuesday: 4m @ 9.44
    Wednesday: 8m @ 10.03
    Thursday: 4m + strides @ 9.06
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: 20m lsr @ 10.07
    Sunday: slow 30mins on bike

Felt like I've been all over the place with training since August with holidays & knee problems so was delighted to get the full plan done this week.
    Went to physio on Friday, got a full sports massage, was agony but in a good way!! He confirmed my knee issue was associated with my ITB and was able to loosen it out. Had no major problems with it yesterday on my lsr, just a little niggle from time to time. Legs were very tired coming towards the end of the run can't imagine running any faster on marathon day!

Weekly report

Still playing catch up, and while it's great to read all the reports of you lot hitting your 16m and 20m targets, I'm not going to pretend that it's not making me panic just a bit!

Mon 3.5m @8:33. Was a 'kind of' tempo run for me. Felt really tough though - I'm putting that down to the two glasses of wine I had the night before, getting to bed late, and being jet lagged after arriving in from Chicago the day before. Broke all my conquering jetlag rules!!
    Saw the physio - happy with progress and he gave me a new set of homework exercises - including lots of squats and lunges with weights - has warned me that I might get a bit of muscle soreness with them. And he was right!

Tues 7m @9:09. Pace run. Felt a lot better than Monday - early to bed and no alcohol helps. Who would have thunk it! Pilates in the evening.

Wed. Switched the plan around a bit as I was heading to LAX - rest day.

Thurs 14m LSR. First 7/8 miles felt good @ about 9:30 pace. Next few were really tough. Just felt like o had no energy in my legs at all. I stopped for water after 11m - stopped for too long and drank too much cos it tasted oh so good. Found it really hard to get going again - miles 12/13/14 were @ 10:34, 10:17 and 10:05. Was actually beginning to feel a bit better by mile 14, but was never so happy to be finished a run. Probably the only run I've ever felt that I might bail on. Also had all the usual 'wtf am I doing thinking I can run a marathon' thoughts.
    I usually do my physio straight after running, but left them til the evening :)
    Looking back, I ran on empty and didn't have any fuel with me, so that might be partly to blame for completely running out of steam.

Fri 4m recovery run. Nice easy pace and felt ok again

Sat/Sun rest days. Thought I might get in a bit of cross but horrible jetlag (broke the rules again after getting home Saturday - 2 glasses of wine and a late night). Managed my physio though and back in the saddle tomorrow!

I'm having a bit of a debate with myself regarding what to do this week. My revised plan to get me back on track has me doing 16m LSR this week followed by 18m LSR next week (can't do the series half as I'm working). I'm just a bit concerned that I'll have missed 2 LSRs due injury, then done 10m/14m/16m/18m before I get a stepback. Is it too much? On the other hand I really want to get in the 18 and 20 milers and if I take an earlier step back I can't see how I can fit them in. Any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Some great reports this week - great long runs, disappointing DNF's, nasty niggles - this is marathon training, folks.

2 key messages this week:

(1) Its 6 weeks to Race Week.
    You can accomplish so much in the coming 6 weeks.
    Take a note of your weaknesses so far and target these.
    The next 3-4 weeks are key for the long runs - you must get these in - prioritise them over everything.

(2) Its 6 weeks to Race Week :)
    You can do so much damage in the coming 6 weeks.
    Don't push mileage over and beyond in order to 'catch up'.
    Don't compare yourself to other runners - this is a cardinal sin and a big mistake - everyone is at different levels.
    Just because person x has 3 great long runs, does NOT mean that your race will be sh!te.
    Its your race, your training - own it, be proud of it and don't compare it.

2 key messages this week:

(1) Its 6 weeks to Race Week...........

Just saw Dublin Marathon's Facebook post - "only 48 days to go"
    Most of the comments were "can't wait!", "bring it on" etc

My reaction?
    I feel queasy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Week 11

Monday: 5m Recovery
    Tuesday: 5.5m Easy Run
    Wednesday: 10m Easy
    Thursday: 1m WU/5m PMP/5 strides/ cool down
    Friday: Rest Day
    Saturday: 22m LSR
    Sunday: 3.5m Recovery

Week Total: 54 miles

Well that is in all likelihood the most intense week that I will do in my preparation for 49 days time. Really enjoyed the week and it has left a pair of legs that are wanting to know in no uncertain terms wtf is going on!

Next week will be a step back week as suggested by AMK and it's badly needed. I'll have to do my LSR on Thursday as it's my only day off in the next 11 days. Thankfully tomorrow is the last of my 4am starts in work which has meant getting in lots of afternoon runs after getting up at 2am in the morning for weeks. Juggling where to fit in the pace run will take some thinking about but sure if I want to beat the beast I'll work out a way.

Again well done everyone on a great week of training and a speedy recovery to our walking wounded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Candamir wrote: »
    Just saw Dublin Marathon's Facebook post - "only 48 days to go"
    Most of the comments were "can't wait!", "bring it on" etc

My reaction?
    I feel queasy!
    If I didn't feel queasy before every marathon,I would be worried,.ur doing great,come marathon day you will be flying it.Trust the plan.

Some fantastic running going on here,keep it up lads,I love catching up on this log when I can.Not long now,Trust the plan.Yer all doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Hi, I can certainly feel the rewards...... of not sticking to the plan. :/

After an aborted attempt at last weeks LSR on Saturday (ran out of steam after Parkrun), I managed to run 20k on Monday night. I felt I could have kept going another while but I had to get back to mind kids. Tuesday was rest (and err... taper... :D) as Wednesday was Grant Thornton 5k (new PB). Logistics are hard when your mode of commute is motorbike and work is 70k from home, and run is half way between the two. Thursday was a case of lazyness and work kept my busy well into late Friday evening. Saturday morning, another attack of lazyness. Up bright and early this morning but again.. just didn't feel it, but I knew I had to had to get out and do the LSR. Ate too much and suddenly got interested in all sorts of things like how to prune clematis to how pillows are made, ate some more, hopefully waiting for more rain or a thunderstorm or something - I guess I was looking for an excuse out. Fortunately there wasn't any, got out and the first 5k were horrible with a stomach full of food. Strong wind and passing squalls kept me company during the otherwise empty Oldbridge estate, there were about 3 hardy dog walkers who crossed my path about 6 times, that's about it. With all those missed runs, I can really feel I gone back a bit - ended up walking time to time - couple of stops to stretch out the left hamstring etc. In the end I did a very very slow 27k in around 3 hours before stumbling into the kitchen completely shattered.

I have way more respect for a marathon now than I have ever had - and this is probably my last chance to rise up to the challenge and stick with the plan. Fair play to you hardy folks out there... hard as nuts!

Feeling sick today again so no run :(

I feel panic rising now! I feel like every run should be longer or faster than prescribed and I know "trust the plan" but it's getting harder to... 7 weeks and 3 are taper so really only 4 weeks of hard training, yikes.

I wish I had done more in the last 4week's or 4 months even!! No point I know I know but can't help the panicky feeling that's hitting me.

I think the fact I'd no lsr this weekend isn't helping but no point crying over spilt milk right.

I've done 2 x16m & 1x18m and I'm still hoping to squeeze in 2 x 20m & 1 x 18m in the next 4 week's, so that will be 6 runs over 16 miles so that's good right?

Some of you have had fantastic weekends, well done to all and I hope you're all relaxing tonight with the feet up enjoying a beer after taking Epsom salts baths ;)

Sillymoo let us not panic yet, we can do this! I'm going to do my medium long run tomorrow cos I need to do something a bit long to settle my nerves. God help us!

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »

I feel panic rising now! I feel like every run should be longer or faster than prescribed and I know "trust the plan" but it's getting harder to... 7 weeks and 3 are taper so really only 4 weeks of hard training, yikes.

I wish I had done more in the last 4week's or 4 months even!! No point I know I know but can't help the panicky feeling that's hitting me.

I think the fact I'd no lsr this weekend isn't helping but no point crying over spilt milk right.

I've done 2 x16m & 1x18m and I'm still hoping to squeeze in 2 x 20m & 1 x 18m in the next 4 week's, so that will be 6 runs over 16 miles so that's good right?

Some of you have had fantastic weekends, well done to all and I hope you're all relaxing tonight with the feet up enjoying a beer after taking Epsom salts baths ;)

Sillymoo let us not panic yet, we can do this! I'm going to do my medium long run tomorrow cos I need to do something a bit long to settle my nerves. God help us!
    Ariana,if u do that mileage,over the next few weeks,you have nothing to worry about.Relax,ur flying it,from,reading back through the log.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Ariana,if u do that mileage,over the next few weeks,you have nothing to worry about.Relax,ur flying it,from,reading back through the log.

Thank you and everyone. The support and encouragement on here has been incredible, truly incredible and invaluable to me :)

I think you should relax, big time. The stress will do you more harm than 2 missed days of running. You have a serious bank of training behind you which minimises the damage even more. There are many on here who only started to train in April/May/June from a zero base who are missing runs. I've no doubt you are one of the best prepared here. So relax and have a couple of those beers yourself and don't try shoehorning too many very long runs in so close to the race. :)

For those of you who missed runs due to life/injury, I was in the same position a few weeks ago and WW advised not to play catch up by doing extra long runs and I'm grateful now that I listened. At that stage, I was still struggling on 9 miles when everyone was doing their 14 miles and was panicking but a few weeks later I'm caught up. So don't despair there is still time!

As for me, I had to bail on a short run tonight - not because I've a running injury but because my legs are in bits after 6 hrs of dancing at a wedding - I never thought I'd add that to the list of things to avoid while marathon training.

As I suspected I'm traveling with work next week from Saturday so will miss our meet up. Will be flying Saturday so doing my 12 miles on Friday instead. This is a disaster as really wanted to put in a good week and use the opportunity to rest up before the next block of longer runs. The 2 days of traveling and the obligatory late dinners are not helpful for this. But I guess this is life and will have to deal with it.

Wait until you are 100% better to attempt a run. If you don't let your body recover you'll risk being out for longer. You have a great base now so trust it and focus on getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I have only done one LSR over 16 miles so far. Am I on the half marathon plan by mistake? :D Sure, it's my first marathon, if I can walk 42k, that would be a fantastic PB. :)

skyblue46 wrote: »

Next week will be a step back week as suggested by AMK and it's badly needed. I'll have to do my LSR on Thursday as it's my only day off in the next 11 days.

Ah no! Will you not make the meet up next Sat?

Lazare wrote: »
    Ah no! Will you not make the meet up next Sat?

Not looking likely. I'm on a 10-6 shift :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Meetup looking unlikely for myself aswell, 7-2 in work and by that stage most people have done the LSR and all, I really need to get a few more morning runs in to prepare for the big day.

In regards to LSRs over a certain distance, im only up to 15 miles, and supposed to do a 16m this weekend but physio has told me to drop down to 14, meaning my next biggest run is the 20 miler so im right there in that boat with yous. When I put it like that I actually get a bit worried :confused:

• Advertisement

That's a pity, was looking forward to meeting you.

Advertisement