Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Lazare wrote: »
    That's a pity, was looking forward to meeting you.

Ah well that pleasure will have to wait until the half ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »
    Feeling sick today again so no run :(

I feel panic rising now! I feel like every run should be longer or faster than prescribed and I know "trust the plan" but it's getting harder to... 7 weeks and 3 are taper so really only 4 weeks of hard training, yikes.

I wish I had done more in the last 4week's or 4 months even!! No point I know I know but can't help the panicky feeling that's hitting me.

I think the fact I'd no lsr this weekend isn't helping but no point crying over spilt milk right.

I've done 2 x16m & 1x18m and I'm still hoping to squeeze in 2 x 20m & 1 x 18m in the next 4 week's, so that will be 6 runs over 16 miles so that's good right?

Some of you have had fantastic weekends, well done to all and I hope you're all relaxing tonight with the feet up enjoying a beer after taking Epsom salts baths ;)

Sillymoo let us not panic yet, we can do this! I'm going to do my medium long run tomorrow cos I need to do something a bit long to settle my nerves. God help us!

Now listen here young lady - you cannot panic - you are the one of the main ones keeping everyone else here on track.
    Your long runs so far are top notch and will be more than 50% of the people who start DCM will have done - fact.
    And you still have 6 weeks to race week.

The worse thing to do is to panic - that causes stupid moments.
    Lets say - worse case, you decide to do a 2 1/2 week taper (17-18 days) - this still leaves you with OVER 30 'other' days to do 2x20 milers - thats 1 every 15 days from now.

Panic is for those who have done half of your training - you are on track and you are very strong. Time to believe.

That's a pity, was looking forward to meeting you.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah well that pleasure will have to wait until the half ;)

Jaysus lads. :p

Why do I feel like a sugar daddy now? :eek:

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Meetup looking unlikely for myself aswell, 7-2 in work and by that stage most people have done the LSR and all, I really need to get a few more morning runs in to prepare for the big day.

In regards to LSRs over a certain distance, im only up to 15 miles, and supposed to do a 16m this weekend but physio has told me to drop down to 14, meaning my next biggest run is the 20 miler so im right there in that boat with yous. When I put it like that I actually get a bit worried :confused:

If you decide to do the 20 miles - reduce the pace. It will feel very easy to run fast initially, but you wont hold that pace for the full 20.

90-120 secs slower (per mile) than marathon pace is fine for a long run, you should probably aim for 'time on feet' for the coming weeks - increasing it to 3 hours and no more if you are struggling.

Dont panic yet - plenty of time to go - you can gain a lot in 6 weeks (even in taper mode)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Will you be around yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

Now listen here young lady - you cannot panic - you are the one of the main ones keeping everyone else here on track.
    Your long runs so far are top notch and will be more than 50% of the people who start DCM will have done - fact.
    And you still have 6 weeks to race week.

The worse thing to do is to panic - that causes stupid moments.
    Lets say - worse case, you decide to do a 2 1/2 week taper (17-18 days) - this still leaves you with OVER 30 'other' days to do 2x20 milers - thats 1 every 15 days from now.

Panic is for those who have done half of your training - you are on track and you are very strong. Time to believe.

Ah seriously I'm killed with kindness this weekend :)

Yes I know you're right. I will put the panic to bed tonight, tomorrow will be the "normal" me i promise ;)

We can all do this. A few busy weeks ahead for us but it'll be so worth it. We all need to mind the niggles, the nerves and each-other and we'll be celebrating in 7 weeks time with the help of God :)

A quick change of topic here. Does anyone know much about parking at Newbridge House? It says there is very limited parking and people are being encouraged to take a train from Connolly Station. This would add hours to my morning and I'd also be fearful of train capacity if thousands turned up. Can anyone suggest parking within warm up/ cool down range of the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

If you decide to do the 20 miles - reduce the pace. It will feel very easy to run fast initially, but you wont hold that pace for the full 20.

90-120 secs slower (per mile) than marathon pace is fine for a long run, you should probably aim for 'time on feet' for the coming weeks - increasing it to 3 hours and no more if you are struggling.

Dont panic yet - plenty of time to go - you can gain a lot in 6 weeks (even in taper mode)

Im definitely doing the 20 miler, but the jump up from the 15 miles which will be my longest run is just worrying me a bit.

I definitely think that the pace of my training runs is something that will come back to bite me come marathon day, and im gonna admit that now. I just cant seem to pace myself at all to run slow and slower then my planned marathon pace. In my most recent LSR, on average the miles were only about 20 seconds slower then PMP, yet I just wasnt able to slow down anymore without just speeding up again :confused: I guess its all part of the learning process, and I just hope it doesnt ruin my marathon.

Meetup looking unlikely for myself aswell, 7-2 in work and by that stage most people have done the LSR and all, I really need to get a few more morning runs in to prepare for the big day.

In regards to LSRs over a certain distance, im only up to 15 miles, and supposed to do a 16m this weekend but physio has told me to drop down to 14, meaning my next biggest run is the 20 miler so im right there in that boat with yous. When I put it like that I actually get a bit worried :confused:

I'm amazed that a physio could differentiate between what harm you might do on a 14 mile run as against 16 to be honest. Maybe that's why I'm not a physio
    :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm posting this because I see panic starting in the group and the thought process that we only have 3-4 weeks training left before the taper.
    For most people, the taper starts 3 weeks out from the Marathon. It can be anything from 24 - 13 days - with the right plan.

People think that the 'taper' is a free pass to do nothing until the marathon.
    However, It is one of the most important and most googled component of marathon training - and is considered an art form to get right.

Below are 2 articles on Tapering - from looking at these, you can see that there is a lot of training still done during the taper. While you wont lose fitness during taper - you can certainly gain fitness.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/10/training/the-three-most-common-tapering-mistakes_58795/2

https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/why-you-should-taper-before-a-marathon

Im definitely doing the 20 miler, but the jump up from the 15 miles which will be my longest run is just worrying me a bit.

I definitely think that the pace of my training runs is something that will come back to bite me come marathon day, and im gonna admit that now. I just cant seem to pace myself at all to run slow and slower then my planned marathon pace. In my most recent LSR, on average the miles were only about 20 seconds slower then PMP, yet I just wasnt able to slow down anymore without just speeding up again :confused: I guess its all part of the learning process, and I just hope it doesnt ruin my marathon.

An alternative to doing a straight 20 miler is the following:

Day 1: run 90 mins - you build fatigue in the legs

Day 2: Run 1 - in the morning - run 15 miles. You've done it before, so wont be a problem.

Day 2: Run 2 - in the evening - Run 5 miles. (or reverse it & do 5 1st then 15)

The effect of the above physiologically will be similar to running one 20 mile run.
    However, if you can manage the 1x20m then......... fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Day 2: Run 1 - in the morning - run 15 miles. You've done it before, so wont be a problem.

The effect of the above physiologically will be similar to running one 20 mile run.

Good man AMK, the advice is second to none as usual. I reckon ill be able for the 20 miler, the bloody hard part is finding a route that doesnt bore me!

Will you be around yourself?

Possibly not - Depends on my 2 daughters GAA timetable (I'm a taxi service for those 2) and my own long run, bearing in mind the All Ireland Final is on Sunday, I'll probably do my own long run on Saturday anyway, but at a different pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A quick change of topic here. Does anyone know much about parking at Newbridge House? It says there is very limited parking and people are being encouraged to take a train from Connolly Station. This would add hours to my morning and I'd also be fearful of train capacity if thousands turned up. Can anyone suggest parking within warm up/ cool down range of the start?

I'm not sure what they are making available for the half but usually there is loads of parking on site.

This may not be used for the race because I think they will be using part of the exit route for the course .

There are no other large carparks in the area . There is one at donabate railway station but it's not very big. Thre is an industrial estate at the great gas service station end of Turvey avenue about a mile from the venue but again it's on the course so possibly not accessible on the day The tesco warehouse is there too and has an access road m but not sure if they will allow parking on that even on a Sunday . I think they ship out of there every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Week 13 of 20 done:
    Mon : 4m easy at 9.03
    Tues: 8m fast at 7.33 - faster than planned but just got into an good rhythm and went with the flow
    Wed: 4m easy at 8.46
    Thurs : 4m at 8.19. Nice early morning run
    Fri: 20.5m at 8.46. Planned on doing 20m at 9min per mile but was a few mins ahead of schedule so kept going to get a 3hr run in. Was pretty tired after 12/13m compared to last week and found the climb from the quays up to hanlons corner tough. Didn't feel as bad as I thought I would on sat morning and happy to get one of the 20m's in
    Sat: 2m rec at 9.45
    Sun : Rest

We go again today!!!!!

I can't make this Sat anyway but was there a planned meet up or something.?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Week 13 Review

Monday - Rest after LSR on the Sunday
    Tuesday - 3x2 mile, 1 min interval
    Wednesday - Rest - sore hamstring
    Thursday - Rest Sore hamstring
    Friday - Sore hamstring
    Saturday - Rest before LSR
    Sunday - 26km. Pain in knee from 16km onwards. didn't feel too great going out generally. Shower & snooze afterwards. Epsom salt bath later that evening does wonders

all in all, not a great week. Midweek I didn't want to risk going out. Was sore in upper hamstring/groin.

More of the same on Tuesday with the club and a 8km on the Thursday. 28km planned for Saturday

I'm posting this because I see panic starting in the group and the thought process that we only have 3-4 weeks training left before the taper.
    For most people, the taper starts 3 weeks out from the Marathon. It can be anything from 24 - 13 days - with the right plan.

People think that the 'taper' is a free pass to do nothing until the marathon.
    However, It is one of the most important and most googled component of marathon training - and is considered an art form to get right.

Below are 2 articles on Tapering - from looking at these, you can see that there is a lot of training still done during the taper. While you wont lose fitness during taper - you can certainly gain fitness.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/10/training/the-three-most-common-tapering-mistakes_58795/2

https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/why-you-should-taper-before-a-marathon

Thanks for those.

I'm hoping to do 2 x 20m but the 2nd one falls on a tricky weekend with hubby away at a stag. This might be more feasible for me, i could do the Day 1 run on Sunday afternoon/evening (assuming he returns in a fit enough state to be left alone with 3 young 'uns)!

But either way, it's a concept i'll be keeping for use again. I like the sound of it as a different approach to a monster session.

I was chatting to a friend recently who did Dublin last year as a novice, she used to walk for up to 1.5hrs either straight after or later in the day of her LSR, she found it really helped to build confidence that she could do the time on her feet. So many ways to skin a cat eh.
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    Week 13 of 20 done:
    Mon : 4m easy at 9.03
    Tues: 8m fast at 7.33 - faster than planned but just got into an good rhythm and went with the flow
    Wed: 4m easy at 8.46
    Thurs : 4m at 8.19. Nice early morning run
    Fri: 20.5m at 8.46. Planned on doing 20m at 9min per mile but was a few mins ahead of schedule so kept going to get a 3hr run in. Was pretty tired after 12/13m compared to last week and found the climb from the quays up to hanlons corner tough. Didn't feel as bad as I thought I would on sat morning and happy to get one of the 20m's in
    Sat: 2m rec at 9.45
    Sun : Rest

We go again today!!!!!

Great week.

You're fast wow!
    Week 13 Review

Monday - Rest after LSR on the Sunday
    Tuesday - 3x2 mile, 1 min interval
    Wednesday - Rest - sore hamstring
    Thursday - Rest Sore hamstring
    Friday - Sore hamstring
    Saturday - Rest before LSR
    Sunday - 26km. Pain in knee from 16km onwards. didn't feel too great going out generally. Shower & snooze afterwards. Epsom salt bath later that evening does wonders

all in all, not a great week. Midweek I didn't want to risk going out. Was sore in upper hamstring/groin.

More of the same on Tuesday with the club and a 8km on the Thursday. 28km planned for Saturday

Oh dear. Not a great week in terms of niggles. Any plans to see a Physio or get a deep tissue massage or anything else that might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh dear. Not a great week in terms of niggles. Any plans to see a Physio or get a deep tissue massage or anything else that might help?

was certainly thinking of massage alright, think the hamstring might have been just stiffness or not stretching enough after Tuesday. Knee is a worry but I'll know more on Tuesday

• Advertisement

was certainly thinking of massage alright, think the hamstring might have been just stiffness or not stretching enough after Tuesday. Knee is a worry but I'll know more on Tuesday

They could be related. I have found before that a tight ITB effected my knee and a good deep sports massage sorted it out. And i think someone else mentioned the same here in the last few days, BrownEyes i think it was :confused: Hopefully it'll be ok.

Sillymoo how are you feeling today?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

Well done to everyone you completed the long runs!
    If not, remember, no one run is make or break! Lace up them shoes and get back out there!

Monday - rest
    Tuesday pm - 16.1k @5:07min/km
    Wednesday am - 7.75k @ 5:26min/km - ran late of tuesday and then early on wed, I won't be doing that again!!
    Thursday - 7k @4:47min/km - shortened as wasn't feeling great
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 16.25k @5:19min/km
    Sunday - 32.2k lsr @ 5:42/km - first half of run was OK but I hadn't eaten enough and fell away badly towards the end with some walking and stops, a pity but not felling fully energised in general. I have a step back week this week and Monday is rest and I might take Tuesday as well to hope for full recovery. I'll see how I'm going!

Great reading over the last few pages to catch up, very positive advice for everyone and now I'm feeling much better about another go at 20 miles in two weeks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Roll call for those meeting on Saturday??

As I said I'll be volunteering at Parkrun, but I'm up for the cuppa afterwards if you let me know the wheres and whens.

podgec10 wrote: »
    Well done to everyone you completed the long runs!
    If not, remember, no one run is make or break! Lace up them shoes and get back out there!

Monday - rest
    Tuesday pm - 16.1k @5:07min/km
    Wednesday am - 7.75k @ 5:26min/km - ran late of tuesday and then early on wed, I won't be doing that again!!
    Thursday - 7k @4:47min/km - shortened as wasn't feeling great
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - 16.25k @5:19min/km
    Sunday - 32.2k lsr @ 5:42/km - first half of run was OK but I hadn't eaten enough and fell away badly towards the end with some walking and stops, a pity but not felling fully energised in general. I have a step back week this week and Monday is rest and I might take Tuesday as well to hope for full recovery. I'll see how I'm going!

Great reading over the last few pages to catch up, very positive advice for everyone and now I'm feeling much better about another go at 20 miles in two weeks!

Funnily it was my 1st time doing exactly that last week as well and ditto i won't be doing it again :pac: Wednesday morning my legs just weren't ready to go again :o

Well done on a great week. The 20 miler was tough but you got through it and lessons learnt.
    quickbeam wrote: »

As I said I'll be volunteering at Parkrun, but I'm up for the cuppa afterwards if you let me know the wheres and whens.

I'm not in Dublin and this weekend doesn't suit to make the trip up either unfortunately but I'll be there in spirit with you all :) And if it was to be repeated i'd definitely try to make it although it won't suit me til October 7th between one thing and another :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Had a great LSR yesterday, 35km taking in the Phoenix park/Kilmainham section of the route. Also practiced slowing to a walk to properly sip water (instead of gulping it while panting) and trying out my homemade chia energy paste to fuel the last third of the run.

For anyone that's had a bad couple of training days: I was supposed to this last week but bonked hard at 29th km, felt terrible as my LSR's were progressing so well every week, and I had done over 29 a few times before.
    I took Monday off and ran the the other scheduled runs during the week a bit slower (apart from the Grant Thornton 5k on Wednesday). Got some extra sleep in on Friday and Saturday then nailed the run yesterday.

The lesson here is that off-days will happen this late in the training program. Just recalibrate yourself and get ease back into the program.

conti wrote: »
    Had a great LSR yesterday, 35km taking in the Phoenix park/Kilmainham section of the route. Also practiced slowing to a walk to properly sip water (instead of gulping it while panting) and trying out my homemade chia energy paste to fuel the last third of the run.

For anyone that's had a bad couple of training days: I was supposed to this last week but bonked hard at 29th km, felt terrible as my LSR's were progressing so well every week, and I had done over 29 a few times before.
    I took Monday off and ran the the other scheduled runs during the week a bit slower (apart from the Grant Thornton 5k on Wednesday). Got some extra sleep in on Friday and Saturday then nailed the run yesterday.

The lesson here is that off-days will happen this late in the training program. Just recalibrate yourself and get ease back into the program.

Whoa, whoa there dude, don't just skim over that. Tell us more aboout this concoction!! :)

was this arranged on this thread somewhere that I've missed or is there a splinter group.?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Whoa, whoa there dude, don't just skim over that. Tell us more aboout this concoction!! :)

I'm just experimenting with whole foods because I don't like the idea of consuming factory-produced high refined sugar gels, and having to buy them for every long race I do.

So far I just mix chia seeds and water and leave until it turns goopy–apparently keeps for weeks in the fridge, then food process it with banana, dates, almond butter*, generous teaspoon of maple syrup.

I slowed to a walk and ate it 25km, didn't have any stomach issues at all. Kms 30–35 felt great apart from pretty tired legs for the last km. I have a 37km scheduled for this weekend, I'll prob try dividing it up and taking 2 of them instead of 1 so it'll be more like race day.

*My own homemade nut butter, about 80% almonds, 20% cheaper salty nuts, coconut oil, maple syrup and/or dates, cacao powder),

Sheep1978 wrote: »
    was this arranged on this thread somewhere that I've missed or is there a splinter group.?:p

Yeah, started witih Lazare making the suggestion here:
    Yeah, the reports are so good.

I really love this thread. Mad how you feel yourself rooting for people you've never even met.

We gotta change that soon.

Who's on for meeting up for the 16th Sep LSR?

Wouldn't matter if you're following boards or HH, we could meet up at the Garda HQ and all start from there.

Who's on?

Dying to meet you all.

Went on for a couple of pages (in between other things) it was at the very least pencilled in to happen.

• Advertisement

Must have been while I was away as I didn't read over everything I missed - anyways unfortunately in Liverpool this weekend so can't make it. would have been good to put some faces to names. Hope everyone enjoys

Advertisement