Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

So, i have been off on holidays for the past few weeks, but have been keeping an eye on the thread and the progress of everybody is pretty awe-inspiring.

It was challenging enough to keep the training on track while i was off but i followed the advice here to make sure to do the long runs and pretty much anything else was a bonus; so for my two holiday weeks i did a LSR as planned and then a single good length midweek run. Running in new places (san Sebastian, Biarritz, and the Waterford Greenway...) was really enjoyable and it was actually a really good way to see a new place and get your bearings at the start of a holiday; beats the red sightseeing bus! In any case, while my overall weekly mileage close to halved, i feel like i have still progressed which is comforting.

Bought my 'marathon gear' pre-holiday (including Asics GT 2000) so looking forward to trying them out starting this week.

Week 9

Mon: 3.8m @ 8.43
    Tue: 7.8 @ 7.57 (<PMP run)
    Weds: 3.7m @ 9.03
    Thurs: LSR 9 : 21.3m @ 8.58
    Fri - Sun: Holidays

TOTAL: 36.8m

This was my pre-holiday week so packed everything in pretty tightly and even managed to do the steep side of Howth Hill half way thru the LSR, which was a last minute decision which almost didn't pay off - while the hill was mid-race, and wasn't actually too bad, the last 4 or 5 miles or so were a killer! Mind you, i had the opportunity to quit early by taking a shorter route home but kept out there on a rainy dark Thursday night so that gave me great confidence going into the holidays. Mind you, that stress was nothing compared to the following morning when i discovered that my 3 year old's passport was out of date (we were travelling 24 hours later:eek:). Cue a huge rush to the chemist (to get photos), Garda station, birth cert office and then passport office to get everything sorted which we just about managed!!

Apparently, this happens all the time with 3 1/2 year olds (because the first passport can only be for 3 years) so if you have a 2/3/4 year old in the house, make sure to check their passport now!!!

Week 10

Weds: 10m @ 7.49 (<PMP run)
    Fri: LSR 10 : 13.4m @ 8.27

San Sebastian is a cracking pace to run, and i got lucky running in more overcast conditions so the heat wasn't too bad. Some tough bloody hills though.

TOTAL: 23.5m

Week 11

Weds: 7.6m @ 8.50
    Sun: LSR 11 : 19.7m @ 8.39

The LSR was in the Sunday morning of a lads golf weekend, so was very happy to get that done relatively comfortably; mind you, the 18 holes afterwards wasnt my best golf ever...

TOTAL: 27.4m

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

last Sunday I had a 12.5 mile run and felt awful for two days after it. Sore right foot, very achy body all over and a slight strain on the hip flexor. Decided to rest up the legs for the week and Id a total of 2 miles last week since teh run until yesterday.

Did a nice 10 mile run and 24 hours later I feel great. I feel the rest allowed my body to heal and grow stronger. im looking forward to my LSR next week and hopefully will try hit 12/13 miles next weekend. Did my run at a steady 8.45 pace and each mile dont more or less at this pace.

Im behind on the HHM plan but Im not too worried once I keep on my feet. I may not reach the 20 mile distance in training but I feel Ill be happy once Im doing at least 10 miles/15 miles a week in my LSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭ariana`

drkpower wrote: »
    So, i have been off on holidays for the past few weeks, but have been keeping an eye on the thread and the progress of everybody is pretty awe-inspiring.

It was challenging enough to keep the training on track while i was off but i followed the advice here to make sure to do the long runs and pretty much anything else was a bonus; so for my two holiday weeks i did a LSR as planned and then a single good length midweek run. Running in new places (san Sebastian, Biarritz, and the Waterford Greenway...) was really enjoyable and it was actually a really good way to see a new place and get your bearings at the start of a holiday; beats the red sightseeing bus! In any case, while my overall weekly mileage close to halved, i feel like i have still progressed which is comforting.

Bought my 'marathon gear' pre-holiday (including Asics GT 2000) so looking forward to trying them out starting this week.

Week 9

Mon: 3.8m @ 8.43
    Tue: 7.8 @ 7.57 (<PMP run)
    Weds: 3.7m @ 9.03
    Thurs: LSR 9 : 21.3m @ 8.58
    Fri - Sun: Holidays

TOTAL: 36.8m

This was my pre-holiday week so packed everything in pretty tightly and even managed to do the steep side of Howth Hill half way thru the LSR, which was a last minute decision which almost didn't pay off - while the hill was mid-race, and wasn't actually too bad, the last 4 or 5 miles or so were a killer! Mind you, i had the opportunity to quit early by taking a shorter route home but kept out there on a rainy dark Thursday night so that gave me great confidence going into the holidays. Mind you, that stress was nothing compared to the following morning when i discovered that my 3 year old's passport was out of date (we were travelling 24 hours later:eek:). Cue a huge rush to the chemist (to get photos), Garda station, birth cert office and then passport office to get everything sorted which we just about managed!!

Apparently, this happens all the time with 3 1/2 year olds (because the first passport can only be for 3 years) so if you have a 2/3/4 year old in the house, make sure to check their passport now!!!

Week 10

Weds: 10m @ 7.49 (<PMP run)
    Fri: LSR 10 : 13.4m @ 8.27

San Sebastian is a cracking pace to run, and i got lucky running in more overcast conditions so the heat wasn't too bad. Some tough bloody hills though.

TOTAL: 23.5m

Week 11

Weds: 7.6m @ 8.50
    Sun: LSR 11 : 19.7m @ 8.39

The LSR was in the Sunday morning of a lads golf weekend, so was very happy to get that done relatively comfortably; mind you, the 18 holes afterwards wasnt my best golf ever...

TOTAL: 27.4m

They've changed to 5 yrs now for the 1st passport which is a bit longer but still can't trust a 5yr old to check their own :pac::pac::pac: . I've 3 kids (and a grown up one) and between the 5 of us all of our passports expire in different years, it's always something to check when we book a holiday. Nightmare scenario for you but glad it worked out in the end. Well done on the holiday running. Sounds like a fab holiday :)

Also its 2 months now until DCM, my Asics are not 100 percent now, showing some signs of wear and tear but otehrwise fine. Shoudl i replace them befor the race??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

last week has been pretty grim

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - physio
    Wednesday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Thursday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Friday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Saturday - 9 mile easy run @ 6min per KM - felt the niggle in my knee from minute 1 until I finished.
    Sunday - itb stretching & rolling programme

Not good knee hasn't responded the way id hoped from the physio back there tomorrow. I can run on it but certainly feel discomfort. The huge issue for me is that I'm missing out on my long runs and what that's going to mean for the last 15 km of the marathon doesn't bear thinking about.

Will see what the physio says and how the knee responds after another week of stretching and rolling but (and I know and am not expecting comments re this) I'm seriously considering a course of cortisone injections to get my through the marathon now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Also its 2 months now until DCM, my Asics are not 100 percent now, showing some signs of wear and tear but otehrwise fine. Shoudl i replace them befor the race??

Throw up a picture of the wear and tear in the Gear and Equipment forum if it'll help. I think 2 months is OK. I bought a new pair recently (after the FD10) and they'll be my DCM shoes. Haven't gotten rid of the old ones yet, but the difference is noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Last weeks update
    Week 9 of 16

Monday Rest day
    Tuesday Plan said hill repeats , this was my first attempt at hill repeats. Found a local hill just over 500 metres long , it kicks up for first 300 then levels off to a gradual incline. Did 10 sets running up hard and jogging back down , this was interesting hard on the legs and lungs . First 9 sets 2.20-2.21 last one 2.07 . Averaged about 4.05pace per km for the uphill parts. After 3 I was thinking I'm never finishing this session so was glad to and finish strong. Total 15km
    Wednesday Woke up swollen glands and sore throat went to doc as needed a note for work , of course he said Viral took my 50€ and said rest.
    Thursday Back to work and felt ok so ran home 16k at 5.07 pace
    Friday Rest
    Saturday After some nice folk on here telling me I should run 3.1X for marathon I decided to do my long run with second half of it at new PMP , woke up and felt terrible throat glands swollen and felt blocked up, Dr Google said below the neck you can run.
    I was up at 7am but went back to bed , lay in bed changing my mind from running to not running till eventually I got up and put my running gear on. Set the garmin up with a workout 10 miles @ 5-5.30 pace then 10 miles @ 4.34-4.44 pace, this gives you alerts which if your running outside the range.
    Set off on an out and back route right along the seafront southbound for first 10 miles then back home. As soon as I left the house it was just hard work legs sore I was getting a headache and throat was at me not feeling this at all. Took a gel straight away hoping to perk up , first 10 miles had a strong tailwind on my back and I tried to not think about how I was going to have to turn into this wind on way back . I zoned out and listened to my podcast and I was actually struggling to hold the 5.30 pace the watch had me at the upper end for a while.
    Took a pitstop at 10 miles and paused the watch forgot to start again for 1km or so so run ended a little short on garmin. Anyway at the turn when I restarted the watch I started to lengthen my stride i'm not the best at high cadence running I tend to go faster by stretching out further. The wind was apparent straight away and my watch was beeping at me showing 4.50 pace instead of my upper end range of 4.44 , ran hard to get it back to 4.44 but I was running at what felt like half marathon or 10k effort , absolute torture for the next 9 miles or so , the watch kept beeping an pushing me to 4.45 pace and I kept running harder to get it back under to 4.44 pace, that was the story of the next hour or so , at times the wind was so strong I felt like I was running on the spot , eventually turned off from the wind and had a long hill climb :( that actually felt easier managed to pick it up and push the pace down to 4.42 by doing 2 fast miles at end.
    Hoping this run will stand to me was probably my hardest run to date. 10 miles @ 5.26 then 9/10 miles @ 4.42 pace.

Sunday Dragged myself out for a recovery run last night , 5miles at 6.02 pace ( probably never ran slower)

Well done everyone on the run reports great reading

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

quickbeam wrote: »
    Roll call for those meeting on Saturday??

As I said I'll be volunteering at Parkrun, but I'm up for the cuppa afterwards if you let me know the wheres and whens.

I won't make it till after 12 forgot I've an appointment at 10.30!
    Seems like it doesn't suit most people maybe we should postpone???

Anyone else dreaming about the marathon?? Had my first one last night!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Anyone else dreaming about the marathon?? Had my first one last night!!

Yeah, had two or three now. Started about a month ago.

Throw up a picture of the wear and tear in the Gear and Equipment forum if it'll help. I think 2 months is OK. I bought a new pair recently (after the FD10) and they'll be my DCM shoes. Haven't gotten rid of the old ones yet, but the difference is noticeable.

Will do later when Im home, like I ran in them yesterday and no issues but 2 months is a long time for wear and tear to worsen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Week 11 Boards Plan

Never posted an update from Week 10 as I was recovering from Electric Picnic. I did the dog on it, 3 days straight on the beer. I don't want to see a pint between now and the DCM finish line!

Monday: Return from Electric Picnic. Had the fear big time!
    Tuesday: 3 mile easy. Was still brittle from my weekend on the drink.
    Wednesday: 8 miles easy. Felt a lot better today. Did 13km @ 5:27/km
    Thursday: Day off
    Friday: Day off
    Saturday: 20 miles LSR. Pace 6:07/km. This run has been on my mind for a few weeks.
    The 19 mile LSR from Week 10 was the hardest run I've done since I took up running! Had sore feet for a while after that.
    Thankfully, the morning was nice and cool. I did have a long drag up Ballyogan road which was extra challenging with a strong wind.
    Looking at my strava, my pace was fairly uniform and I did not feel the energy drain this time. I finished the 20 miles in a decent shape, and no sore feet!
    I only had 1 drink break, at around 13 miles where I took on some jellies too. I'm not feeling any side affects to these so I'll plan to keep some one me for the big day.
    Sunday: Couch day

Any update me on the boards plan this week? On phone and can't access the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

ariana` wrote: »
    Any update me on the boards plan this week? On phone and can't access the files.

Tues 6m Easy
    We'd 1m WU, 9m PMP, 1m cd
    Thursday 3m Recovery
    Saturday 16m LSR
    Sunday 3m Recovery

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Tues 6m Easy
    We'd 1m WU, 9m PMP, 1m cd
    Thursday 3m Recovery
    Saturday 16m LSR
    Sunday 3m Recovery

Thank you. I will shoot for a 20m LSR as i didn't do it this weekend gone but otherwise i'll stick to the plan all going well. It's going to be a big mileage week but the recovery run on Thurs should soften it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thank you. I will shoot for a 20m LSR as i didn't do it this weekend gone but otherwise i'll stick to the plan all going well. It's going to be a big mileage week but the recovery run on Thurs should soften it a bit.

I've been building the mileage over the past few weeks as I have concentrated exclusively on endurance rather than speed. It (and working the ungodly hours I have been) has taken a toll in terms of fatigue so I'll be taking it very easy this week. Best of luck on the 20 miler.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I've been building the mileage over the past few weeks as I have concentrated exclusively on endurance rather than speed. It (and working the ungodly hours I have been) has taken a toll in terms of fatigue so I'll be taking it very easy this week. Best of luck on the 20 miler.

You've been doing great work, good time for a bit of step back. I feel i just had a step back week, albeit unplanned, i only ran 23m last week (says she when its not so long since 20m+ would have been a super week :pac:).

I struggle with the PMP (i can't seem to settle into the pace i'm either too fast or too slow though the average at the end tends to be there or thereabouts) but i'm not worried about it, getting the distance done and building endurance is a bigger concern as i'll be happy to finish it even at my easy pace would bring me in around 4:35 and i wouldn't knock that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Set out for the abandoned LSR from yesterday, started raining not even a mile in and it went downhill from there. Rain was absolutely torrential and the running jacket I robbed on the brother which I thought was waterproof...well, lets not go there. Soaked to the skin with only 2m out of 14 and the rain wasnt stopping, decided to double back and take this as run 1 of week 12.

If I had of kept running in them clothes for around 2 hours im nearly certain id be sick by the end of the week. Ill do the 14 tomorrow and progress with the rest of week 12 on Thursday, heres hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kelly and Baby well done on the races/events. Baby the bad weather prob worked out well for you that there was no kayak save any risk of injury. Rest up now and recover both.

Lazare really hope the knee settles with some rest.

Thanks, Ariana I was so conscious of that my whole way round on the run I probably took it easier on the run as I was afraid I would fall and hurt myself :) I guess one thing it taught me If I can keep moving for 4 hours I can last the distance for the Marathon
    You hang in there as well, everyone is right you are doing brilliantly
    leesider77 wrote: »
    Well done! Glad that you came through it unscathed.The winds must have made the cycle tough!
    It did on the way out we were all leaning sideways to keep from being blown across the road LOL my lower back was hurting so bad ( many others said the same ) I had to stretch it out when ever I was going down hill. some amazing views through Achill is so beautiful.

One thing that annoyed me, was once the mini and sport distance had finished they started to clear up taking down finish line and transition area, when I came in, one rack was still standing for racking your bike I still had a finish line to run through, but others who came after me and there was still lots out on the cycle, it was all taken down by the time they finished and no water or food for them, I did get a bottle of water and half a cup of soup. hubby said there was fruit loads of it when he came in, but it was all gone! I just think that is awful everyone pays the same price and after doing the longest route in some pretty hard conditions they needed somthing when they finished. they may have ran out of fruit but they cleared away the water :eek: they knew exactly how many people they had as well!
    D3PO wrote: »
    Will see what the physio says and how the knee responds after another week of stretching and rolling but (and I know and am not expecting comments re this) I'm seriously considering a course of cortisone injections to get my through the marathon now.
    Try taping your knee as well as physio, it may help I hope :D

It's been great reading and catching up and I was worried about missing my LSR but feel more reassured now

as always great advice here I am learning so much thank you all good luck with this week running, I am suffering some soreness in my thighs left more than right from coming down hill from experience it will have passed by tomorrow so will still be able for a recovery run which I am looking forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Your esteemed leader is on warm weather training for the marathon.....I see you have the plan for the week sorted though...no negative thoughts this week get out there and smash it and the weekend will all be forgotten.

There is a saying that has always stuck with me from my younger days.....remember the 6Ps.

Proper preparation prevents p*ss poor performance. This is one area where the Novices do not have to worry about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Not a great week last week, with one thing and another, only got one run in although did two bike rides. Didn't even manage park run as my van had to stay in the garage longer than anticipated.

Anyway, decided to do last weeks 16 mile lsr today, I know we get told not to chase past miles but really felt that I needed to do the 16 as it's the second longest run in the HHN1 plan.

It got done, badly but it got done. Rained a lot, then dried up, so I got soaked, then dry, then soaked etc. Pain in places I've not had it before, including an interesting ache in my right foot. The worst thing was back pain, I get it on and off and thought it was to do with the walking or running belts I use when out with the dogs - obviously not. So I stopped often to try and stretch that out.

I will book a sports massage this week or next, I think I will definitely benefit.

I learnt quite a lot today though, listened to three Documentary on One podcasts, there are some brilliant ones on the RTE site.

Chilli with nachos for dinner, I'm starving :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Main thing is to get out of wet clothes ASAP, says he who didn't do so two Sundays ago and spent most of the day sneezing.

Main thing is to get out of wet clothes ASAP, says he who didn't do so two Sundays ago and spent most of the day sneezing.

I usually have a towel and change of clothes in the van, need to put them back in. I took my T-shirt off and put my zip up hoody on, just had to keep reminding myself not to unzip it while I was in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

They could be related. I have found before that a tight ITB effected my knee and a good deep sports massage sorted it out. And i think someone else mentioned the same here in the last few days, BrownEyes i think it was :confused: Hopefully it'll be ok.

Sillymoo how are you feeling today?

Hi Ariana I'm feeling much more optimistic today - taking advice and trying not to panic! Thanks you guys :) going to do 16mi tomorrow afternoon hopefully and 12mi on Sunday and if I manage extra this week due to work etc it will be a bonus. Will prioritise the long runs and hopefully will get me over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

Had to drag myself out there this evening. Finding it far less appealing in the wind and rain. I've been so motivated up until now but the thoughts of this weeks training feels like a chore right now and it's only a 12 mile LSR this week. Really glad to have this group - the thoughts of having to justify my laziness here made me drag my a** out there. I'm still finding it hard to get my kit for running in the rain right. I know nothing would withstand the downpours this evening but I verge from being too hot at first to getting cold when I get soaked. I hope to God that we have a dry day for DCM.

Had to drag myself out there this evening. Finding it far less appealing in the wind and rain. I've been so motivated up until now but the thoughts of this weeks training feels like a chore right now and it's only a 12 mile LSR this week. Really glad to have this group - the thoughts of having to justify my laziness here made me drag my a** out there. I'm still finding it hard to get my kit for running in the rain right. I know nothing would withstand the downpours this evening but I verge from being too hot at first to getting cold when I get soaked. I hope to God that we have a dry day for DCM.

Hahaha. My thought process today included only doing 12 miles, and never posting in here again, which escalated to leaving boards completely.

I run in shorts and a T-shirt and don't mind getting wet at all. It might be different when its really cold though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Just be sure not to forget the vaseline/anti chafing in the wet (or whatever method you use which included surgical tape for me!)

As one of the lads in work says....dont worry about the rain you only get wet once.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭leesider77

muddypaws wrote: »
    Hahaha. My thought process today included only doing 12 miles, and never posting in here again, which escalated to leaving boards completely.

I run in shorts and a T-shirt and don't mind getting wet at all. It might be different when its really cold though

Ha ha I might have had a few similar thoughts on my 16 mile run. Glad you didn't follow through on them though ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I wouldn't worry about the motivation waning from time to time this is normal (and quite common when the weather does start to turn)

You are never gonna be pumped up and ready to go for every run, no one is (you can ask anyone from Olympians to Novices) but its the days that you are struggling that are where the improvements are made. Some days you just have to switch the brain on a loop of "just get it done" and put one leg in front of the other. Your race doesn't start in 47 days (hopefully that doesn't scare anyone :D) it started back at the start of the plan, October 29th is just the glory leg to reap the rewards of the months of hard work.

Regarding clothes, layers are your friend, become one with your inner onion :p

I generally tend to stick to running t shirt and a light jacket and warm up into it, anything colder and its a long sleeve s shirt, colder again and you can get a compression top cheap in pennies/lidl as a base layer to go under that usually does the job. Better to start of cold and warm up rather than overheat early on, if you get wet just make sure to shower as soon as you get home and you generally can avoid any nasty ill effects.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Not a great week last week, with one thing and another, only got one run in although did two bike rides. Didn't even manage park run as my van had to stay in the garage longer than anticipated.

Anyway, decided to do last weeks 16 mile lsr today, I know we get told not to chase past miles but really felt that I needed to do the 16 as it's the second longest run in the HHN1 plan.

It got done, badly but it got done. Rained a lot, then dried up, so I got soaked, then dry, then soaked etc. Pain in places I've not had it before, including an interesting ache in my right foot. The worst thing was back pain, I get it on and off and thought it was to do with the walking or running belts I use when out with the dogs - obviously not. So I stopped often to try and stretch that out.

I will book a sports massage this week or next, I think I will definitely benefit.

I learnt quite a lot today though, listened to three Documentary on One podcasts, there are some brilliant ones on the RTE site.

Chilli with nachos for dinner, I'm starving :)

Well done on getting it done in tough conditions. A run to think back on on the day if you're struggling at all, remind yourself what you're capable of ;)

sillymoo wrote: »
    Hi Ariana I'm feeling much more optimistic today - taking advice and trying not to panic! Thanks you guys :) going to do 16mi tomorrow afternoon hopefully and 12mi on Sunday and if I manage extra this week due to work etc it will be a bonus. Will prioritise the long runs and hopefully will get me over the line!

Good! Glad you're feeling more optimistic. Me too :) Good luck with the 16m, do let us know how it goes :)

I did the 6m easy run last night. I took it nice & handy and really enjoyed it. I was lucky i got it done between the showers that some of you endured :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

I did the 6m easy run last night. I took it nice & handy and really enjoyed it. I was lucky i got it done between the showers that some of you endured :eek:

hopefully over your bug Ariana. Great to hear

Advertisement