Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2017 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

ariana` wrote: »
    Funnily it was my 1st time doing exactly that last week as well and ditto i won't be doing it again :pac: Wednesday morning my legs just weren't ready to go again :o

I had read that too so I was feeling better about myself as it was. Thanks for the reply. Keep up the good work. I hope you start to feel better about things a well. This is not easy and sometimes I wonder why but it will be worth it at the end....hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

leesider77 wrote: »
    Had to drag myself out there this evening. Finding it far less appealing in the wind and rain. I've been so motivated up until now but the thoughts of this weeks training feels like a chore right now and it's only a 12 mile LSR this week. Really glad to have this group - the thoughts of having to justify my laziness here made me drag my a** out there. I'm still finding it hard to get my kit for running in the rain right. I know nothing would withstand the downpours this evening but I verge from being too hot at first to getting cold when I get soaked. I hope to God that we have a dry day for DCM.

I find this group great motivation...... I dont wanna let down these strangers I talk to over the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Today I most definitely have Runger. Looking forward to lunch already, after breakfast and cheese and biscuits for elvensies! Hope this only lasts for one day

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭henrietta

Hi Everyone

I haven't posted in ages and have dropped off Strava as my phone and watch are no longer syncing for some unknown reason.

Everyone seems to be doing great running and making progress.
    While my motivation has dropped a bit and I got distracted there for the last month I'm determined to keep going. I have fallen way off my original plan but still just ahead of HH1 in terms of mileage so not panicking yet. My paces are still all over the place with LSR way too fast but have decided to just stop worrying about it. I don't think I've missed any actual run just some mid week ones were shorter than plan.

I did the Tullamore half as my only race a few weeks back and it was hell. Met up with an old friend and went out with them way too fast (foolish I know but I felt ok) and then died about 6 miles in. My next 5 miles were all a minute slower than the first 6. Pulled it back then for the last two to come in just under my only previous half time last Oct. So 2hr 4mins 20sec approx. Was ok considering I wanted to quit half way in.
    I've learned though not to chase my more ambitious marathon goal on the day because it might just make for a very miserable experience. Have to get my head around now just being happy to finish.

I am looking at it as just 4 more weeks training and then the taper which I'm looking forward to even though everyone says its tough. Only 4 more LSRs. I'm sick of seeing 7am on a Sat Morning. This board is great in that it shows others struggling too and having bad days so you don't feel so alone.

I hope this is worth it in the end!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

It's definitely getting harder to get out for me , the change in weather and probably some accumulated fatigue means I'm having to convince myself to get out. The easy paced runs aren't so bad but the Tuesday and Thursday speed sessions are getting harder along with the Saturday long run normally with some PMP means 3/5ths of my runs are not that easy. I'm looking forward to getting back to doing Parkrun's and cutting down on the mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I'm there with you all in regards to fatigue etc. I don't work a particularly hard job but the early morning combined with a run after work makes it a more daunting task. I work every Saturday morning and then going for an LSR after work is torture, I know a lot of people are the same and I know I just have to do it.

I reckon I'll take the day off for the 20 miler. Use it as a day for marathon practice from waking up to breakfast, prep, gels etc.

It wasn't half as hard getting out for a nice run in the long sunny evenings, now they're cold, miserable and dark. Thank God for penny's baselayers from last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's nice to know we all struggle with motivation from time to time. Accountability on here and on my log is a good motivator for me too. Whatever works to keep us honest eh :)

I actually prefer running in Autumn/Winter than Summer. I like the colder air and i don't mind rain too much if it starts mid-run, i don't enjoy facing out in it but once i get going it's ok.

Damo that sounds tough facing an LSR on Saturday afternoon every week, not easy at all. Next Friday i have over-night visitors so i'll have to do it later in the day on Saturday as well, my son has a party @ 2.30 so unless i get rid of the visitors before 10 am i'll have to leave it until after the party as i'll need to allow at least 4.5 hrs to run, eat, shower, stretch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

henrietta wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

I haven't posted in ages and have dropped off Strava as my phone and watch are no longer syncing for some unknown reason.

Everyone seems to be doing great running and making progress.
    While my motivation has dropped a bit and I got distracted there for the last month I'm determined to keep going. I have fallen way off my original plan but still just ahead of HH1 in terms of mileage so not panicking yet. My paces are still all over the place with LSR way too fast but have decided to just stop worrying about it. I don't think I've missed any actual run just some mid week ones were shorter than plan.

I did the Tullamore half as my only race a few weeks back and it was hell. Met up with an old friend and went out with them way too fast (foolish I know but I felt ok) and then died about 6 miles in. My next 5 miles were all a minute slower than the first 6. Pulled it back then for the last two to come in just under my only previous half time last Oct. So 2hr 4mins 20sec approx. Was ok considering I wanted to quit half way in.
    I've learned though not to chase my more ambitious marathon goal on the day because it might just make for a very miserable experience. Have to get my head around now just being happy to finish.

I am looking at it as just 4 more weeks training and then the taper which I'm looking forward to even though everyone says its tough. Only 4 more LSRs. I'm sick of seeing 7am on a Sat Morning. This board is great in that it shows others struggling too and having bad days so you don't feel so alone.

I hope this is worth it in the end!!

Great post Henrietta, really enjoyed reading it. I'm sick of seeing 7am on a Saturday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

another good physio session today.

Knee feels so much looser after it, actually feels great right now. Given the all clear to go back to training tomorrow to see how it holds up, if i keep the stretching and icing program going aswell as the rolling I should be ok I hope.

lets see how I get on tomorrow will just do a gentle 4 or 5 miler to ease back in and please god I can get my long run done this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

ariana` wrote: »

I did the 6m easy run last night. I took it nice & handy and really enjoyed it. I was lucky i got it done between the showers that some of you endured :eek:

Glad you're feeling better ariana!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oh my god lads that rain.... just home from work and seriously trying to psych myself up to go out for LSR. Have to back, changed and showered for a meeting at 7. Will head out and see how far I get :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

sillymoo wrote: »
    Oh my god lads that rain.... just home from work and seriously trying to psych myself up to go out for LSR. Have to back, changed and showered for a meeting at 7. Will head out and see how far I get :o

Good luck ;)

D3P0 that is great news I hope all goes well with the run tomorrow and you get the LSR done tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

This training for a marathon lark is no easy feat as you are all experiencing......one thing I can guarantee is that it will be worth it in the end; the sense of achievement you will feel when you cross the finish line makes all the hard work worth it. I also found it to be a surprisingly emotional experience.

In terms of the plan you are all reaching peak so you are putting your bodies through a lot which will be taking its toll and this weather makes it a little tougher.

It is really important to eat/sleep and rest properly just now and always remember to listen to your bodies.

Knuckle down for the next few weeks then you will be into taper madness! The end goal is almost there as we always say trust the plan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

D3PO wrote: »
    last week has been pretty grim

Monday - rest
    Tuesday - physio
    Wednesday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Thursday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Friday - itb stretching & rolling programme
    Saturday - 9 mile easy run @ 6min per KM - felt the niggle in my knee from minute 1 until I finished.
    Sunday - itb stretching & rolling programme

Not good knee hasn't responded the way id hoped from the physio back there tomorrow. I can run on it but certainly feel discomfort. The huge issue for me is that I'm missing out on my long runs and what that's going to mean for the last 15 km of the marathon doesn't bear thinking about.

Will see what the physio says and how the knee responds after another week of stretching and rolling but (and I know and am not expecting comments re this) I'm seriously considering a course of cortisone injections to get my through the marathon now.

I also suffer quite a bit with a tight itb in my right leg. I've never completely fixed it 100%, but I have found some good stretches and strengthening exercises that work very well.

In terms of stretches etc, for me the foam roller doesn't do much. They (the powers that be!) liken the toughness of the it band to a car tyre. Hard to foam roll out! I've found a hard ball (tennis ball size) quite useful, something similar to the exercises suggested in this video

I've been told (by physios) that the tight it band is usually due to weak hips/glutes and the main process to sort it out is by strengthening those areas. There are a few strengthening exercises shown in the vid above. Another one I find quite useful is wrapping a theraband around the ankles and doing a side lying leg lift. A handy one when a watching a bit of tv!

Its a frustrating injury as I find rest doesn't really sort it out, neither does stretching on its own. Its all about the strengthening of those weak areas. Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Does anyone have the course profile of the half that they could post? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had a good session with the Physio today. Turns out it's a calf issue which I was hoping for, was worried it was my achilles which would have meant staying off it. Itching to get back.

He noticed an issue with my right foot that could be causing it and recommended some orthotics to sort it. He gave me some heel risers (not sure if that's the term) to put into my shoes.

Did some great massage on the painful area that worked really well and taped it up. Best of all though he gave me the go ahead to get back on the horse. Yippee.

Gonna go out tomorrow morning, a day earlier than I planned. Gonna still take it easy though for a few runs, and concentrate on proper calf stretching.
    I am gutted to miss two important sessions, last weekends 20m and tomorrow's 9m pace run, but hopefully the six days off is a blip I can overcome.

Six days is nothing. You've been following the plan religiously so you're in a good place. Just remember all the advice to avoid chasing the lost miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    I'm there with you all in regards to fatigue etc. I don't work a particularly hard job but the early morning combined with a run after work makes it a more daunting task. I work every Saturday morning and then going for an LSR after work is torture, I know a lot of people are the same and I know I just have to do it.

I've done the long run after work thing and the long run in between night shifts too. Both absolute torture by the end. Now I either get up really early and run to work (we have showers on site) or I adjust the plan so I run on a day off. I still wouldn't fancy doing a long run after a days work. But doing a days work aftet a long run seems somehow easier. At least the first half of the day is anyway. :-)

I've done the long run after work thing and the long run in between night shifts too. Both absolute torture by the end. Now I either get up really early and run to work (we have showers on site) or I adjust the plan so I run on a day off. I still wouldn't fancy doing a long run after a days work. But doing a days work aftet a long run seems somehow easier. At least the first half of the day is anyway. :-)

Yes I'd agree with adjusting the plan. This week I'll have to do long run on Thursday after doing 22m on Saturday. Most afternoon runs I have done for the last 3 weeks has been after working a 4am to 12 shift. I'm looking on it as running on tired legs, a very important part of marathon training :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

From the last few pages there doesn't seem to be any takers for the LSR meetup next Sat, with a good few unable to make it through work etc..

If there are a few that would still like to do it I'm game but I've no probs either way if people would rather pick a more suitable weekend.

edit: Was thinking around 9:30 or so at the Garda HQ in the phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Notes on Tiredness, the album that writes itself.

Lazare wrote: »
    From the last few pages there doesn't seem to be any takers for the LSR meetup next Sat, with a good few unable to make it through work etc..

If there are a few that would still like to do it I'm game but I've no probs either way if people would rather pick a more suitable weekend.

edit: Was thinking around 9:30 or so at the Garda HQ in the phoenix park.

Aw I'm gutted I can't make it. I'd love to meet as many as possible before the big day and particularly to get out for a run with the 4 hour group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Evening all!

Sorry I couldn't do the weekly update. Thanks to AMK for stepping into the breach!

Into the real nuts and bolts of it now, but only a few weeks till the mileage starts to drop and taper begins :D

Tomorrow the Boards plan has 9M@PMP, which is the longest session on the plan. It sounds tough, and certainly not easy, but if you crack it will really feel worth the effort!

Evening all!

Sorry I couldn't do the weekly update. Thanks to AMK for stepping into the breach!

Into the real nuts and bolts of it now, but only a few weeks till the mileage starts to drop and taper begins :D

Tomorrow the Boards plan has 9M@PMP, which is the longest session on the plan. It sounds tough, and certainly not easy, but if you crack it will really feel worth the effort!

Welcome back! Question for you...last year your target time for the half was between pacers and I think you paced yourself. I'm hoping for 1:45ish and wondering which of the following 3 scenarios has most training benefit. 1. Go with 1:40 pacer, blow up finish 1:48. 2. Go with 1:50 pacer, leave them near the end, finish 1:47. 3. Run alone even paced for a 1:45. Bearing in mind I feel I should try a pacer as I intend to go with the 4 hour pacers in DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I find this group great motivation...... I dont wanna let down these strangers I talk to over the internet!

I remember meeting my 1st Boardsie (thats what we're called) - We arranged to meet for a long run and I recall telling my daughters "Daddy's just going down to meet a stranger in the Phoenix Park"

:eek: :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Welcome back! Question for you...last year your target time for the half was between pacers and I think you paced yourself. I'm hoping for 1:45ish and wondering which of the following 3 scenarios has most training benefit. 1. Go with 1:40 pacer, blow up finish 1:48. 2. Go with 1:50 pacer, leave them near the end, finish 1:47. 3. Run alone even paced for a 1:45. Bearing in mind I feel I should try a pacer as I intend to go with the 4 hour pacers in DCM

Take into account the profile of the course. 1st half is uphill, 2nd half is downhill.

I wouldn't go faster in the 1st part of the race, you'll leave yourself a lot to do.
    Note that there'll be a few thousand doing this, so you wont be running alone, whatever you decide.

I'd nearly go with the 1:50 pacer - this will give you experience of running with a pace group - its a crowded space on narrow roads, so you do need to experience it - knowing how to run while not tripping up yourself or others.

Once you reach 6-7miles - decide how you feel and then increase the pace a tad - the difference between 1:45 (8 min/mile) and 1:50 (8:23/mile) is 23 seconds a mile - after 6-7miles at 8:23 min/miles - it will feel difficult initially to get on the quicker pace, but you'll get it.

But its your decision, base it on how you feel.

Either way - anything from 1:45-1:50 is a great run on that course if your potential is 1:45

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the course profile of the half that they could post? Thanks in advance :)

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/470734

I plotted this from the route map - didn't run it - but I think it's accurate *disclaimer*!!

The tab on the top right corner lets you bring up the profile. Hope it works!

Candamir wrote: »

I plotted this from the route map - didn't run it - but I think it's accurate *disclaimer*!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104532573&postcount=270

Candamir wrote: »

Perfect!! Thanks a million

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I reckon this is the time of the year when the physios see us athletes (chancers!) knocking on their door with all our running ailments!

Advertisement