Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does an area become trendy

• 07-05-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

I have been sent link for various houses that a family member is considering buying, now the area use to be considered a no go areas, inner city, very rough its in a UK city, however its now on the way to becoming a bit trendy hasn't got the vegan restaurants yet :D but its getting there.

How exactly does that happen, is it just the fact that one brave soul takes a chance on a cheaper property and hopes for the best and after that others follow or is it something more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Through progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Some few people might move in out of necessity, maybe a group of students or some working people escaping high rent from elsewhere. Then one decides to open a restaurant with one vegetarian item on the menu (along with all the usual meat options) or a pub that serves a couple of cocktails or a corner shop with a tiny organic section just to test the ground. Then it poshens away up from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Gentrification - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification

It's that simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

D12, one place that will NEVER see gentrification:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Populate it with milf and gilf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Starbucks opens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Less gunfire and your wheelie bins not burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

ZeroThreat wrote: »

Already happening in Crumlin, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hipsters…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

expensive hookers move in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

OP, the tipping point is when people you don't know stop addressing you as pal and start addressing you as dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

degsie wrote: »
    expensive hookers move in

galway-hooker-biere-pub-vannes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Alloy wheels.

You see, what happens is that some young chef with a history of financial issues can't get credit and so ends up opening up a cafe / restaurant in an area they wouldn't ordinarily be caught dead in, but the rates are good. They scrimp on the fit out by leaving some exposed brick work and then the chef's friends starting eating there. The need for cold press juices increases in the area and before you know it more and more people with cash are in the area and inevitably they start buying properties forcing people who grew up in the area to rent elsewhere. Hey presto: trendy area and all because some chef had a bad rep for snorting coke and was refused business loans that would have seen them opening up in a area when these toffee nosed twats already were frequenting.

So why didn't this happen more back in the old days?

Alloy wheels, that's why!

Yup, back in the day that new cafe with the exposed brick work would have went bust, simply because the chef's friends would only have came to area once, had their hub caps stolen and then vowed never to return, but with the advent of alloy wheels and lock nuts being standard on expensive cars these days, that's no longer a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Gentrification - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification

It's that simple really.

I first came across this term gentrification term a few years ago when there was a report in the press about a revolt in Brixton London from the locals to the gentrification of the area. I lived near Brixton for many years previous and I have always thought it a total kip of a place. Nothing nice about it whatsoever. Ever since I've decided I'm all for gentrification if it gets rid of the scuzzy element. If locals really want to continue to live in scuzzy areas then they can fling off somewhere else enjoy it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It's been happening in Peckham for a while now. Good and bad in my view. A nice mix of people would be preferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

learn_more wrote: »
    I first came across this term gentrification term a few years ago when there was a report in the press about a revolt in Brixton London from the locals to the gentrification of the area. I lived near Brixton for many years previous and I have always thought it a total kip of a place. Nothing nice about it whatsoever. Ever since I've decided I'm all for gentrification if it gets rid of the scuzzy element. If locals really want to continue to live in scuzzy areas then they can fling off somewhere else enjoy it there.

I used to be of the same opionion regarding Gentrification as yourself but after some research I can now see why there can be push back against it.

It boils down to the majority of the decent residents being just as happy to see the scuzzy element go as we would be and just as happy to see the areas improved.....however in jurisdictions that have property taxes, this inevitably means that property prices go up as the area gentrifies which pushes up the property taxes to the point where the original ordinary decent non scuzzy residents can no longer afford to remain in their homes. The scuzzy elements are the first to go alright but are soon followed by all the original residents through no fault of their own. Thats where the resentment and push back against gentrification comes from.

They should just get rid of the property tax but as soon as you mention the thought of it you'll get a horde of pseudo-intellectuals on saying the world will end and the economy will collapse and we'll be headed for the dark ages and how all of the EU has them and therefore we can't possibly survive without property tax either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Girls get those crap thigh tattoos, wear oversized denim jackets and doc marten shoes and always carry flowers at the weekend and guys grow beards that smell of craft ale, shrink their clothes and they have stop wearing socks...may or may not cycle one of those fix gear monstrosities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Location, location, location.

Former council houses were sold to the tenants living in them. Fast forward a few years and these houses arrive on the open market. People realise it's desirable to live within walking distance of cities and therefore the price of these houses go up. More wealthy people move in and issues like crime and unemployment decrease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Calibos wrote: »
    I used to be of the same opionion regarding Gentrification as yourself but after some research I can now see why there can be push back against it.

It boils down to the majority of the decent residents being just as happy to see the scuzzy element go as we would be and just as happy to see the areas improved.....however in jurisdictions that have property taxes, this inevitably means that property prices go up as the area gentrifies which pushes up the property taxes to the point where the original ordinary decent non scuzzy residents can no longer afford to remain in their homes. The scuzzy elements are the first to go alright but are soon followed by all the original residents through no fault of their own. Thats where the resentment and push back against gentrification comes from.

I agree with you to an extent. But in the particular case I outlined Brixton is only a few miles from the center of London. London is one of the most expensive cities to live in and this area is hugely valuable real estate. What you have in Brixton in a community of ethcic migrants that have lived there for decades, not centuries. Some of them probably own their own homes due to council houses being sold to them privately. Lucky them for that location.

When I used the word scuzzy I wasn't talking about the drug dealers or undesirables, I was talking about the general lower working class look and feel of the area. I should have used less insulting words I admit but the fact is that lower working class areas will never have a pleasant look and feel about them, especially in cities - because the locals would never be able to afford the council tax bill that would be needed for the upkeep of the area. I do agree that running a small shop type business is not going to make one millions but I think they could put more effort into making their establishments look clean at the very least.

Their problem is not different from anyone else's problem which is that when the economy is on the up rent prices go up. I don't see why they should just expect that they should be exempt from that. I personally am going to have to relocate because my apartment rent is being increased by 62% in a few months. Whatever arguments I could make in protest at this increase one of them would *not* be that the area is being 'gentrified'. I think the argument is based on an emotion appeal from a settled community who have had it too good for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Really? Where? It's a disgusting kip. I live here almost 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone been surprised at the phenomena happening to a area? about 25 year ago I worked with someone who purchased a small two up two down ex council house the general consensuses was amazement but at least it was cheap.

It must be happening in Cork Galway Limerick its not just a Dublin or UK phenomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

tobsey wrote: »
    Location, location, location.

This 100%.

Once council tenants move out the area becomes nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Really? Where? It's a disgusting kip. I live here almost 20 years.

A lot of Drimnagh and Crumlin is not as rough as they were in the 70s/80s. Lived in Crumlin when I was younger (80s). There's definitely been more of an influx of professionals buying houses there in the last 15 years.
    ZeroThreat wrote: »

D12 also includes the likes of Walkinstown which, if not exactly gentrified, is pretty settled these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Has anywhere in Dublin actually been properly gentrified, I mean to the extent of somewhere like Notting Hill? I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

learn_more wrote: »

Same thing with the Elephant & Castle "regeneration" of the last few years. That area along Walworth road which was previously one of the poorest parts of England is now an odd and grim mix of cheap pound shops and cafs and dodgy characters and more affluent supermarkets and restaurants. It's a strange experience to go to Morrisons on Walworth road and nearly be herded into the ground by the queues baying for bargains, then nip next door to the tranquil silence in Marks and Spencers.

It's still a kip, but they've thrown in a few more middle-class amenities, thrown a few million at Burgess park and now property prices are through the roof because of "tranport links".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The availability of rustic bread helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Same thing with the Elephant & Castle "regeneration" of the last few years. That area along Walworth road which was previously one of the poorest parts of England is now an odd and grim mix of cheap pound shops and cafs and dodgy characters and more affluent supermarkets and restaurants. It's a strange experience to go to Morrisons on Walworth road and nearly be herded into the ground by the queues baying for bargains, then nip next door to the tranquil silence in Marks and Spencers.

It's still a kip, but they've thrown in a few more middle-class amenities, thrown a few million at Burgess park and now property prices are through the roof because of "tranport links".

Ah the Walworth Road. I like it, I'm surprised it hasn't been gentrified by now given it's only a few minutes from Waterloo. Camberwell has cleaned up its act a little too, I'd still say it's a long way from being called gentrified though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Has anywhere in Dublin actually been properly gentrified, I mean to the extent of somewhere like Notting Hill? I don't think so.

Stoneybatter?

Ringsend?

blanch152 wrote: »
    Stoneybatter?

Ringsend?

Stoneybatter still has an element of scum in the place. I used to live there. Lots of heroin addicts etc around.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

Well, this is Dublin not London so an exact comparison would be difficult.

I am old enough to remember when Ranelagh and Rathmines were full of laundrettes and flats, and Harold's Cross wasn't a great area either. Portobello has also made an astonishing turnaround in 30 years.

Most areas 45 mins walk from the city centre (at least on the Southside which is where I'm from) are quite pricey now, lots of trendy cafes etc springing up.

A friend of mine got mugged around the corner from the Apache Pizza on Harrington Street in the early 90s. The pizza place has now been replaced by the much more upmarket Brother Hubbards, and 3-bed houses, on the street he got mugged on, sell for 700k+. So I guess that's gentrification, and I'm glad it has happened. I am not nostalgic about South Dublin pre-gentrification at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

First, a gay couple snap up a lovely old house in the area.

Then all else follows. By the time the Starbucks has opened the area is no longer officially trendy and the homesteaders move on elsewhere.

Hard as it is to believe inner city living in Ireland only became popular just over 20 years ago.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    First, a gay couple snap up a lovely old house in the area.

Then all else follows. By the time the Starbucks has opened the area is no longer officially trendy and the homesteaders move on elsewhere.

Hard as it is to believe inner city living in Ireland only became popular just over 20 years ago.

It was very popular during the TB-ridden tenement building days of old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have no idea how gentrification can be deemed as a bad thing. It is generally about places that are cheap to live but are also quite safe. Then supply and demand does its work.

There also seems to be a push to create a theory of gentrification when there isn't any to be seen. People Before Profit seem to be trying to tell everyone that Dun Laoghaire is being Gentrified. Dun Laoghaire, the formerly affluent town, now populated by Heroin addicts and Charity Shops. It's literally the exact opposite of gentrification.

• Advertisement

You mean became popular for private renting/owning. Social housing has been there all along, but that lot aren't into flat whites and avocado toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Floodzie

I have no idea how gentrification can be deemed as a bad thing. It is generally about places that are cheap to live but are also quite safe. Then supply and demand does its work.

There also seems to be a push to create a theory of gentrification when there isn't any to be seen. People Before Profit seem to be trying to tell everyone that Dun Laoghaire is being Gentrified. Dun Laoghaire, the formerly affluent town, now populated by Heroin addicts and Charity Shops. It's literally the exact opposite of gentrification.

Yes, Dun Laoghaire has slipped a bit - especially George's Street - but it's still a lovely place to live and visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭C Montgomery Gurns II

Is it?

The only non inner city Dubs I've ever met who live in what you would define as the inner city are either European professionals working in the multinationals with their language skills who refuse to live in the distant suburbs, or South American students crammed to the ceiling in share flats/ houses who live there out of convenience (as most tend to work in bars and restaurants in town). In my experience, if someone has the economic standing to drop 600K on a house they are moe likely to put it on a semi D on the southside, or a mansion in Wicklow, than to spend it on a renovated 2 bed cottage a stones throw away from the flats (obviously some people do buy these properties, but I'd still say they are few and far between and likely buy to let's- the rental income from an overcrowded inner city house is ridiculous)

I'd certainly agree that when you look at the asking prices on some homes in traditionally working class, rough rep areas (Crumlin, Drimnagh etc) that the price tag seems to scream gentrification- whether these are BTL investments largely would be another matter. I'm far from left wing or socialist but it pains me to see ex corpo properties with 380K price tags or 1600 per month rent on them. Certainly a lot of students and young country workers seem to live in those parts now.

Yea?
    Try to buy a 3 bed home around dun laoghaire!

Advertisement