Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 4 - Cefalù – Etna (Rif. Sapienza) 181 km

Options
  • 07-05-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Doing this tonight as working tomorrow

So this is the big one ...the first MTF of #giro100

zO8K1t3.jpg?1

teoR77e.jpg?1

T04_S02_Etna_web-1.jpg

Although they go up the otherside on Tuesday here is the 2011 final on Mount Etna ...Looking at the riders its amasing how things have moved on and so many are no longer riding

The climb on Tuesday is much harder

So my 3 favourites are

Geraint Thomas ...he is flying and biting at the bit to get pink I think mostly to ensure team leadership ASAP
    Vincenzo Nibali ..... He will want the pink for his entrance into Mesina
    Domenico Pozzovivo ....He is in good form , comes from not far from Sicily, know the climb well , is not a real threat to the overall and has been top 10 in several Giros and now wants his chance to wear pink while he can ..might be his last chance

I think riders like Quintana , SK, Pinot will wait and see and not want pink so soon as expected to go well in the final week

Not sure about Landa, Mollema, Van Garderen and Yates beating Thomas at this stage ...but who knows

Dumoulin might also want some time and the jersey and is also looking strong..but I think my 3 favourites for the stage may have the advantage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like a stage dumoulin could do once he gets over the first hump with the leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lovely route today.

The climb they are using up to Etna is pretty well known, although I've only descended it. The Nebrodi mountains section earlier in route is a really nice part of Sicily and a great place to ride a bike.

Once you stay out of cities, Sicily is great place to ride a bike.

Brother lives less than 10km from Nicolosi and I'd bet he doesn't even know Giro is passing by!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Cefalu is a lovely town. Spent a few nights there a few years ago. Well worth a visit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'll pick Adam Yates to win this more or less randomly.

Only just seen it's not on today. Rest day after 3 stages?! I was only just getting warmed up.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I forfot to mention Zakarin and Formolo ...yet I do not see them wining this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

pelevin wrote: »
    I'll pick Adam Yates to win this more or less randomly.

I hope so. He's in my fantasy team and Bennett's illness has left me scraping points.

Edit. So are Thomas and Nibali so any of them please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Ah balls, just going to watch stage 3 highlights after watching the full stage yesterday. Was all set tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Should be a cracker !!

Nibali ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

greenspurs wrote: »
    Should be a cracker !!

Nibali ?

I just can't see past Nibbles today. He'll be fired up for it. With the home town tomorrow & I can see him wanting to put in a big effort for Scarponi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Cefalu!!

That climbs look tough on ES with Juan Antonio Fletcha

Suppose SKY will do a one two attack ...with Landa going early or maybe even Rosa if he is up for it

Expect Deignan and Kiry to lead the peloton into the climb and up the steepest part

Rohan Dennis abandoned, seemingly had a crash at the end of stage 3. Don't recall seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Yeah he lost five minutes after a Bardiana rider cut across him taking out he's front wheel.

Thomas to do a Froome.

What happens if Mt Etna erupts when they're going up it? Should they then bring back in the Fastest Descending category as an incentive to the riders?

going to start to get interesting now 31km to go

are cannondale the most over rated team in the peleton? they never seem to do anything when it comes down to it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

bit of girly fisticuffs going on there between sky & bahrain rider

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    bit of girly fisticuffs going on there between sky & bahrain rider

Was he spat at? Commentary questioned if he was.

zakarins down and back up on a teammates bike

Was he spat at? Commentary questioned if he was.

didnt see a spit but heard them say that on eurosport

2 still on the floor , never good to see. That corner didn't look too well marked at all.

were no barriers on the junction or guys giving directions. there was a small arrow sign on a lamp post before it

Go on Tiralonga

Oh good, didn't look to me like he spat at him. Still clearly not happy :D

mad looking landscape

• Advertisement

Bad time for a mechanical for Sky, just as they looked like they wanted to up the pace at the front.

Advertisement